PDA

View Full Version : Today's News, Wednesday, July,10

denime
07-10-2013, 05:34 AM
Mornin'

TFC TV

(http://www.torontofc.ca/video)TFC trades Silva to D.C.; Nelsen: ‘Unfortunate’
(http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/toronto-fc-trades-silva-to-d-c-united/)

Reds Trade Silva To D.C.

(http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2013/07/reds-trade-silva-dc)Toronto FC trades Luis Silva to D.C. in move that could help pave the way for Diego Forlan

(http://www.thestar.com/sports/tfc/2013/07/09/toronto_fc_trades_luis_silva_to_dc_in_move_that_co uld_help_pave_the_way_for_diego_forlan.html)Toront o FC expecting to have Robert Earnshaw back, but an injury may...

TFC won’t talk about Forlan — who continues training in Brazil

(http://www.newsnow.co.uk/A/655428020?-19896:6206)Luis Silva's departure to DC leaves attacking void for Toronto FC to... (http://www.newsnow.co.uk/A/655411962?-19896:6206)

Making Room (http://www.newsnow.co.uk/A/655356599?-19896:6206)

TFC Related Blogs !!

(http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?29582-TFC-MLS-blogs-thread)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshine-girl)
(http://www.torontofc.ca/video)

(http://www.newsnow.co.uk/A/655428020?-19896:6206)
(http://www.torontofc.ca/video)

Technorgasm
07-10-2013, 06:41 AM
HAs the sky fallen yet?
Apparently, judging by the reaction Silva was holding the world together.

oh, and have you all seen this: (If this is super old, I apologise)

http://is100.imagesocket.com/images/2013/07/10/2633087-d4ql.JPG

Stouffville_RPB
07-10-2013, 06:52 AM
Morning D

RPB Summer Tourney Info has been posted, link in my signature

scooter
07-10-2013, 06:59 AM
mornin d

ChrisFizik
07-10-2013, 07:55 AM
oh, and have you all seen this: (If this is super old, I apologise)

http://is100.imagesocket.com/images/2013/07/10/2633087-d4ql.JPG

oh my.
Hadn't seen/heard about that. Now occurs to me hadn't seen that banner up since about the time it appeared. damn.

v00d00daddy
07-10-2013, 08:17 AM
So Frei is back in California "figuring out some Visa issues" and Califf is a guy we never should have signed because he was injured all along and his career might be over...according to Nelsen.

Incredible.

I hope Bendik is looking over his shoulder right now because any injury may see him leaving the club.

Somebody please explain to me why, in this fucking horrendous season that is already lost, they couldn't find time to play Frei when he got healthy?

If they had split some playing time between he and Bendik we may actually have another asset on the bench that could be moved. Now we have 1 goalie who has been good for us (but every goalie looks good for us because we're so bad in front of them) and another who has been great for us in the past who has since gone home.

I'd love to have a beer with Milos Kocic and Stefan Frei and get them speaking candidly about TFC. LOL

I'm sorry but this is piss poor player management by Nelsen.

Oldtimer
07-10-2013, 08:25 AM
I expect Frei's Visa issues are related to getting his US green card updated. He will be traded to a US team, mark my words.

Initial B
07-10-2013, 09:03 AM
I'm sure that if TFC had made it back to CCL then Frei would have started all those games. Not making it even to the Canadian finals sealed his fate. Still, the team might have shown some flexibility by letting him start on midweek dates or something.

Huyton
07-10-2013, 09:22 AM
I expect Frei's Visa issues are related to getting his US green card updated. He will be traded to a US team, mark my words.

If he'd got his Canadian Citizenship, would Frei be eligible to play for Canada? Same goes for some of the other players for TFC, like Eckersley.

I hope we get a chance to sing to him:
Thank you, Stefan Frei
When you were in net, Nothing got by

tfcleeds
07-10-2013, 09:38 AM
If he'd got his Canadian Citizenship, would Frei be eligible to play for Canada? Same goes for some of the other players for TFC, like Eckersley.I hope we get a chance to sing to him:Thank you, Stefan FreiWhen you were in net, Nothing got byExcept being hit for 6 in Montreal.....that wasn't all on him though, of course.

Ultra & Proud
07-10-2013, 10:01 AM
Somebody please explain to me why, in this fucking horrendous season that is already lost, they couldn't find time to play Frei when he got healthy?
Because they found a solid keeper in Bendik who makes a proper MLS GK salary who never had a good run of matches in his Portland time. He got the chance here, looked good/earned the spot, and will gain experience and get to work on his soft areas during competitive matches to make him one full season better when 2014 rolls around. Having Frei at $200K wouldn't continue after this season and there is no guarantee that putting him in there would have helped him in any way if he got shelled, wouldn't help us to build if we were getting beat like we did for our first 6 seasons, and wouldn't help our future GK who would be sitting on the bench when he should be starting.

Globetrotter
07-10-2013, 10:09 AM
I hope we get a chance to sing to him

There's something really silly about that sentence lol

TFC07
07-10-2013, 10:12 AM
If he'd got his Canadian Citizenship, would Frei be eligible to play for Canada? Same goes for some of the other players for TFC, like Eckersley.

I hope we get a chance to sing to him:
Thank you, Stefan Frei
When you were in net, Nothing got by

He has to live here for 5 years straight and get his Canadian citizenship to be eligible to play for national team. Same applies to Ecks.

pdogg
07-10-2013, 10:18 AM
He has to live here for 5 years straight and get his Canadian citizenship to be eligible to play for national team. Same applies to Ecks.

He has been here since 2009, so he might be eligible before next season.

TFC07
07-10-2013, 10:25 AM
He has been here since 2009, so he might be eligible before next season.

Assuming that Frei wants to play for Canada.

v00d00daddy
07-10-2013, 10:40 AM
Because they found a solid keeper in Bendik who makes a proper MLS GK salary who never had a good run of matches in his Portland time. He got the chance here, looked good/earned the spot, and will gain experience and get to work on his soft areas during competitive matches to make him one full season better when 2014 rolls around. Having Frei at $200K wouldn't continue after this season and there is no guarantee that putting him in there would have helped him in any way if he got shelled, wouldn't help us to build if we were getting beat like we did for our first 6 seasons, and wouldn't help our future GK who would be sitting on the bench when he should be starting.

Why would he get shelled? Bendik is no better than Frei. They're both very capable keepers. The ONLY reason Bendik looks so good to us (exact same reason Frei and Kocic looked good) is because we are so bad in front of them. When you're a keeper and your team is bad it gives you multiple chances per game to shine. Shots are coming from break downs, from outside the box, and the opposition gasp at their opportunity and put a quick shot towards goal. Those are the ones that make the keeper look better than he is. We ooh and ahh in the crowd and the keeper gains confidence because he's made a routine save look like a great one.

Frei should have been afforded the opportunity in this LOST season to play a few games. If not for trade value (which I think would have risen had he played) then out of sheer respect for the guy. It's not like we can't afford to rest Bendik a game or two because we're on some march to the playoffs. Each game has had the same amount of meaning so far this year, which is is to say, not much.

How long before our "future" goalkeeper (Bendik) becomes the 200k keeper that is passed over because he picks up an injury and can never earn his spot back?

It's ruthless what they've done. And I can live with ruthless when it's a matter of making the playoffs or making sure you continue to be one of the best teams in the league but we are neither of those things.

We let Frei waste on the bench and will get nothing out of him any more other than a negative opinion of the current TFC regime when he's finally officially gone.

Btw..plenty of teams in the league have started more than one keeper in regular MLS games this year.

Stouffville_RPB
07-10-2013, 12:07 PM
I would love to have Frei between the sticks for us but there are two big knocks against Frei, salary and health.

You can build a quality team with a GKs salary in Frei's range. Rimando is on 170k with RSL, Nielsen is at 200k in KC and Kasey Keller was making about 250k with Seattle with a lower cap.

Problem is that if your keeper is in that salary range he needs to play as much as those guys did. With all the injuries Frei's had vs Bednik's performance, salary and health in comparison Frei just can't win that battle. Add in that KP hand picked Bednik and I'm sorry to say that Frei's time is likely done.

I'm holding out hope that Frei gets in the Roma match so I can cheer for him one more time.

johnmolinaro
07-10-2013, 12:40 PM
Just posted my new story at sportsnet.ca:

TFC coach Nelsen: 'Playoffs still attainable' (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/tfc-coach-nelsen-playoffs-still-attainable/)

John Molinaro

Super
07-10-2013, 12:46 PM

TFC coach Nelsen: 'Playoffs still attainable' (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/tfc-coach-nelsen-playoffs-still-attainable/)

John Molinaro

Yes, but we can't afford many missteps. Every game is pretty much a must-win moving forward. Hope we'll get this huge DP player that Leiweke and Payne promised - or I'm done listening to both.

v00d00daddy
07-10-2013, 01:40 PM

John Molinaro

Another good piece. Thanks for that John.

Two interesting/troubling quotes:

Of course. Every game we look to win. The attitude has been absolutely fantastic. The fans can’t argue with the attitude of the players, or the performance of the players. It’s obviously the results that are not good enough,” Nelsen said.

Captain Darren O’Dea agreed with his coach’s assessment.

“We’ve performed well in a lot of games for large parts. But I suppose when it’s really come down to the crunch time we’ve conceded at poor times,” O’Dea admitted. “Performance-wise, we’re nearly where we want to be, but certainly results-wise we’re miles off.”

The fans can't argue with the performance of the players? Is that so? LOL
Performance wise we're nearly where we want to be? Is that so? LOL

We're 13 points behind the last place playoff team right now and there are 3 teams between us and them. We have 17 games to go. We have 2 wins all year. We probably need 9 or 10 wins in our last 17 games to close that gap AND jump all the other teams ahead of us.

I guess its mathematically possible but if we have a chance then I guess Chivas and DCU do too. LOL

It's one thing for Nelsen to say that we've improved since the start of the season. I'd even agree with him. But to suggest that the playoffs are absolutely still in the picture is pure horse shit. I guess we're in it until we're mathematically eliminated. I'm sure we'll string together 7 or 8 wins in a row soon enough. LOL

tfcleeds
07-10-2013, 01:51 PM
I trust we'll be getting those players in soon then?

Yagbod
07-10-2013, 01:55 PM
I hate that floating 'Share' bar on the sportsnet site. It is enough to keep me away from it.

ag futbol
07-10-2013, 02:02 PM
I'd love to have a beer with Milos Kocic and Stefan Frei and get them speaking candidly about TFC. LOL

Kocic did an interview with Anthony Totera on extra time where he basically spilled the beans. Notable nuggets were:
1) Mariner wanted the team to “go to the pub” after games as a bonding exercise. Milos obviously thought this was nuts and in the face of modern sports nutrition
2) Frequently referred to young players on TFC having “bad attitudes” and not understanding what it takes to make it as professionals.
3) Some NCAA programs not being very good development wise. He referred to switching schools and trying to find a better program where he could actually receive proper training for a keeper

Big loss for TFC IMO. We threw out someone who showed leadership and wasn't simply going to accept the status quo.

tfcleeds
07-10-2013, 02:08 PM
1) Mariner wanted the team to “go to the pub” after games as a bonding exercise. Milos obviously thought this was nuts and in the face of modern sports nutritionLol...well, we all knew he was stuck in the 80s - I just didn't realize it went that far. Let me guess, fish & chips for the postgame meal too?

Richard
07-10-2013, 02:14 PM
There is nothing wrong with "go to the pub", its all about moderation. As for playoff hopes, Nelson is delusional if he thinks we seriously have a chance.

Red Rat
07-10-2013, 02:20 PM
now we know where it went!. What a shame and waste.

Oldtimer
07-10-2013, 02:30 PM
There is nothing wrong with "go to the pub", its all about moderation. As for playoff hopes, Nelson is delusional if he thinks we seriously have a chance.

It's just marketing. It's true TFC isn't mathematically eliminated, hence the hype. If you're really optimistic, you could say it's possible, teams have done that sort of turnaround before (RSL in 2009, for example). In reality, however, TFC never had a chance with the squad Mariner left and little time to rebuild, and I don't see playoffs until maybe next year.

I'm just thankful that it isn't team Mariner & Cochrane running the show, otherwise the rebuild would have been put off and be even more painful.

johnmolinaro
07-10-2013, 02:52 PM
I hate that floating 'Share' bar on the sportsnet site. It is enough to keep me away from it.

Really? You hate it that much?

Not trolling, I'm genuinely asking. Never heard anyone complain about that before.

John

pekduck
07-10-2013, 02:55 PM

Not trolling, I'm genuinely asking. Never heard anyone complain about that before.

John

It is an irritant to most people I know, myself included, however not to this extent. =)

Have designers save preference in a cookie and we can turn it off for us will suffice.

I digress... lol

Thank you John for one quality articles after another. =)

johnmolinaro
07-10-2013, 02:57 PM
Thanks for the compliment. It is very much appreciated. To be honest, though, lately I've been thinking about quitting the TFC beat at the end of this season. So enjoy my articles on TFC while you can. ;)

John

Futbolista
07-10-2013, 03:00 PM

John Molinaro

Hard to be positive, but it is mathematically possible.

Canary10
07-10-2013, 03:02 PM

John

I only just noticed it reading this article, and it really annoyed me too I have to say. Funny that people raised it.

Ajax TFC
07-10-2013, 03:12 PM
Kocic did an interview with Anthony Totera on extra time where he basically spilled the beans. Notable nuggets were:
1) Mariner wanted the team to “go to the pub” after games as a bonding exercise. Milos obviously thought this was nuts and in the face of modern sports nutrition
And then freaked out when some players got arrested for being drunk and dumped them. What a clown.

3) Some NCAA programs not being very good development wise. He referred to switching schools and trying to find a better program where he could actually receive proper training for a keeper
Apparently the first one he was in, the coach had them doing all running and no actual soccer drills. Which is pretty much useless for the outfielders, let alone the GKs who don't even need to run

It's just marketing. It's true TFC isn't mathematically eliminated, hence the hype. If you're really optimistic, you could say it's possible, teams have done that sort of turnaround before (RSL in 2009, for example). In reality, however, TFC never had a chance with the squad Mariner left and little time to rebuild, and I don't see playoffs until maybe next year.

I'm just thankful that it isn't team Mariner & Cochrane running the show, otherwise the rebuild would have been put off and be even more painful.
Yeah, if Mariner was still here, we probably wouldn't have a Silva to trade for allocation, Osorio wouldn't have been signed, We'd have three old DPs and no Laba, we'd have a bunch of players from Scandinavia on O'Dea sized contracts, We'd have a guy like Freddy Hall backing up Frei, and we'd still have plugs like Wiedeman and Amarikwa starting most games.

As for Nelsen's comments about being able to make the playoffs, he has to say that. If he said that they're effectively out, people would be freaking out at him for being a quitter when we're still mathematically in it.

pekduck
07-10-2013, 03:16 PM
Thanks for the compliment. It is very much appreciated. To be honest, though, lately I've been thinking about quitting the TFC beat at the end of this season. So enjoy my articles on TFC while you can. ;)

John

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Give this team one more season/chance before you move on please

ag futbol
07-10-2013, 03:24 PM
You'd have to listen to the interview to get a better sense of it, but it did not sound like moderation and keeping the requirements of the modern athlete in mind where the orders of the day.

As far as Nelsen's quotes go, I'm getting a little annoyed at this idea that we aren't been outplayed. Maybe we're not being outworked, but we are less talented and less effective. TFC isn't at the bottom of the standings by accident.

Yagbod
07-10-2013, 03:39 PM

John

I do. I will go to their site to read your articles, but for general sports news I go elsewhere. I find it very distracting when trying to scroll through an article. I have no problem with a site encouraging people to 'share' their content, but its like that site is yelling 'share!, share!, share!' with every paragraph I read. Mostly it is just a visual distraction.

johnmolinaro
07-10-2013, 03:47 PM
OK. well, I'll pass along your comments to the developers and see if we can do anything about it.

John

Gazza
07-10-2013, 04:19 PM

Who knows, that might be how Paul Gascoigne got his start.

Gazza
07-10-2013, 04:23 PM

John

How could you possibly want to leave the TFC beat? It's the plum gig of the MLS. Most writers love a good shit-show. You get to wake up to a different one every day!

Super
07-10-2013, 05:50 PM

John

That would be a terrible shame. You're easily my most favourite TFC sports writer. You're also excellent on podcasts, the Soccer Show, etc.. Hope you decide to stick around, although I can understand why you would want the break.

CretanBull
07-10-2013, 06:21 PM
That would be a terrible shame. You're easily my most favourite TFC sports writer. You're also excellent on podcasts, the Soccer Show, etc.. Hope you decide to stick around, although I can understand why you would want the break.

I agree!

johnmolinaro
07-10-2013, 06:42 PM
Thanks for the kind words. Very nice of you to say. Nothing is decided, and I'll likely continue doing it.

I can deal with the losing, but to be honest covering this team isn't as fun as you used to be - even even the first three years, it was still fun to cover them. It's got me bummed now, but like I said, I'll probably keep covering the team.

John

moralis
07-10-2013, 07:08 PM
Please John continue. I understand what your saying. It's really hard for the hardcore and loyal fans. We trust no one to get the facts then you and Kurt. You guy's ask the hard questions, so the fans know the honest truth.

We appreciate how hard it is to cover this club. Believe us.

CanuckPete
07-10-2013, 07:08 PM
Hope you keep at it too, John. You bring a nice mix of talent and legitimacy.

Plus you're willing to pop up on a msg board to respond to questions. That is also very much appreciated.

CretanBull
07-10-2013, 07:44 PM
Thanks for the kind words. Very nice of you to say. Nothing is decided, and I'll likely continue doing it.

I can deal with the losing, but to be honest covering this team isn't as fun as you used to be - even even the first three years, it was still fun to cover them. It's got me bummed now, but like I said, I'll probably keep covering the team.

John

Face it, you're one of us - condemned to suffer along with us g:D

tfcleeds
07-10-2013, 07:58 PM

John

Totally understand, but imagine how it is in some other MLS markets. Even the successful clubs barely get a mention in the local media, if at all. Hope you continue, John.

trane
07-10-2013, 08:06 PM

John

Help bring a MLS team to Vaughan. That will be fun.

tfcleeds
07-10-2013, 08:08 PM
Help bring a MLS team to Vaughan. That will be fun.

And watch them make the playoffs in Year 2.

Initial B
07-10-2013, 08:56 PM
Chime me in as one who hope you would stay on for at least another year, john. I have a good feeling that next year we'll start to see some good soccer and more hope in what has been a pretty hopeless past few seasons.

trane
07-13-2013, 02:20 PM
And watch them make the playoffs in Year 2.

Dude that is impossible it takes at least 5 years.:rolleyes: