PDA

View Full Version : It's Forlan!

Pages : [1] 2

CanuckPete
07-07-2013, 09:43 PM
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/struggling-toronto-fc-to-snap-up-uruguayan-soccer-star-diego-forlan/article13059185/

ag futbol
07-07-2013, 09:55 PM
^ Is that us on the left in the white? We look hot.

I always thought we looked more like boo boo

69Chevy396
07-07-2013, 10:04 PM
It is about time.

ManUtd4ever
07-07-2013, 10:07 PM
Wow.

ChrisFizik
07-07-2013, 10:11 PM
forlan story made me come on here this late....... more than a bit of a 'wow'. Waiting for official news...

hold on, stop the press, who's that besid............Paz Cardoso. Change the thread topic title. haha

prizby
07-07-2013, 10:14 PM
TFC still got no one who can create goals...not sure how we can expect forlan to score them

Initial B
07-07-2013, 10:22 PM
Aw man... Sure he was good in the Confed Cup, but He'd better not get more than a two-year deal, since his skills will probably be going downhill from here. Seriously, how much difference can one man make to TFC? Laba-to-Forlan-to-Koevermans/Earnshaw? We still need wingers to spread them wide.

TFC07
07-07-2013, 10:23 PM
I am sure there's more signings coming. This is just one of those big name signings to get the fans back.

Also, maybe Forlan can play as AM especially since Silva has been below average this season.

Initial B
07-07-2013, 10:24 PM
What happened for Payne's quest for young talent? I'm not convinced this is a good move. He is going to be diminishing returns from here-on in, so they'd better not give him more than a two-year deal.

prizby
07-07-2013, 10:30 PM
TFC still got no one who can create goals...not sure how we can expect forlan to score them

PopePouri
07-07-2013, 10:38 PM

Like the one he scored today...

http://youtu.be/OvryDW5T8LI

Ivy
07-07-2013, 10:39 PM
I have a feeling Furry will be playing the AM.

Solo La Maglia
07-07-2013, 10:49 PM
Is this unofficially official or speculation ? Not sure what to think of this. Getting mixer vibes from this.

69Chevy396
07-07-2013, 10:50 PM
Like the one he scored today...

http://youtu.be/OvryDW5T8LI

Yep, he is capable of scoring the type of goals we have seldom seen here. Few argued Beckham was too old when he packed BMO, Forlan at 34 is the better player if he stays healthy.

Ivy
07-07-2013, 10:50 PM
So am I, but every sports media outlet is reporting this on twitter... So I'm starting to believe it.

69Chevy396
07-07-2013, 10:51 PM
Source in the globe is very reliable

69Chevy396
07-07-2013, 10:54 PM
Well, now we will know for sure if Laba is the real thing and if Silva is more than just a good prospect.

Richard
07-07-2013, 10:54 PM
Any word on a transfer fee?

Ivy
07-07-2013, 11:01 PM
Any word on a transfer fee?
Nope... I, for one, couldn't give a shit what the transfer fee is... I pay 80$ a month for my cellphone, they better do some good with it.

Corpand
07-07-2013, 11:10 PM
Damn conflicted between the two threads. Fantastic signing. I do feel he has at least 2 years to give. Which for us is fantastic.

Wonder if they will keep Nelsen? 6 months from now?

Greatest Ripoff
07-07-2013, 11:14 PM
Well, now we will know for sure if Laba is the real thing

So we'll know that Laba, a defensive midfielder is the real thing based on how many goals Forlan scores?

Ivy
07-07-2013, 11:15 PM
Damn conflicted between the two threads. Fantastic signing. I do feel he has at least 2 years to give. Which for us is fantastic.

Wonder if they will keep Nelsen? 6 months from now?
As in Ryan Nelson? He's here for a while - even if TFC don't win a single game for the rest of the season.

Doucet3
07-08-2013, 01:06 AM
Still holding back my fandome on this one, I really do believe he's gunna sign its rare I ever see The Score put something on tv that dosnt happen, not to say they haven't bit it is rare, and with how it exploded I think we should see it made official tomorrow or later today (Monday); as they said they expect him to be revealed to us Mon or Tue.

when did the transfer window officially open ?, Monday correct?

romburgundy
07-08-2013, 01:11 AM
I welcome any player with Forlan's caliber to BMO. Now we need to build around him on the wings.

cincy
07-08-2013, 05:21 AM
He's gonna tear this league a new one or is it apart

denime
07-08-2013, 05:49 AM
Threads,merged

69Chevy396
07-08-2013, 06:14 AM
So we'll know that Laba, a defensive midfielder is the real thing based on how many goals Forlan scores?
Yup. With Forlan patrolling the midfield, one would hope Laba's highly touted distribution skills are put to the test.

Couchy81
07-08-2013, 07:30 AM
Well this is good news to read on a Monday morning. Can't wait until the presser.

brad
07-08-2013, 07:42 AM
He's younger than Henry and Di Vaio, both who have been very effective. Looking forward to seeing this.

cmonyoureds
07-08-2013, 07:52 AM
I like this move. Seems more about Football than tickets.
If he can fill an AM spot maybe we start to have the semblance of a decent spine?

Koevermans - Earnshaw
Laba - Forlan

In whatever combo, that don't look too bad. Although maybe this is with a view to Danny exit stage left?

Greg
07-08-2013, 07:53 AM
Was convinced that all the other articles were just rumours. Can't believe this actually has a chance of happening. I think Forlan is still a beast and is one of the most exciting players to watch over the last bunch of years.

I remember hearing the news that DeRo got traded to TFC. That's how I am feeling right now. Damn excited for what I'll get to see at BMO!

tfcmanu
07-08-2013, 07:57 AM
...apparently he has family here in Toronto, I read this somewhere I cant remember where I read it.

Report: Diego Forlán to be unveiled by Toronto FC this week (http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/07/diego-forlan-major-league-soccer-mls-toronto-fc-transfer-news-rumor-designated-player/)

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/07/diego-forlan-major-league-soccer-mls-toronto-fc-transfer-news-rumor-designated-player/ (http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/07/diego-forlan-major-league-soccer-mls-toronto-fc-transfer-news-rumor-designated-player/)

Abou Sky
07-08-2013, 07:59 AM

Prizby, 1 bucket of Stella says he gets 3pts (goals/assists) in first 5 games.

Free kick from within 30yds he scores or assists.

Earnshaw, Brockie and Danny K have someone to feed them.

Now imagine with a healthy ecks.

----------Bendik
Eck--Caldwell--Henry - - O'Dea
---------Laba----------
Oso - - - - - - - - - - - - Convey
-------Forlan - - - - - -
Earnshaw - - DK/Brockie

Joe Kool
07-08-2013, 08:00 AM
Anyone from the press on here get a press conference invite?

Abou Sky
07-08-2013, 08:01 AM
Was convinced that all the other articles were just rumours. Can't believe this actually has a chance of happening. I think Forlan is still a beast and is one of the most exciting players to watch over the last bunch of years.

I remember hearing the news that DeRo got traded to TFC. That's how I am feeling right now. Damn excited for what I'll get to see at BMO!
You just compared Forlan to Dero? ;-)

Ya, I am crazy excited too, Urruti added into the mix, wowza!

billyfly
07-08-2013, 08:08 AM
Ford Fairlane was a horrible movie.

MKR
07-08-2013, 08:09 AM
this is crazy. Diego Freaking Forlan.. a few years removed from being one of the best players in the world.

I don't care if he's on the decline and only has a few more years of good football left in him. There is no doubt that a signing like this will only have a positive impact on this team. Much like the Frings signing had except that Forlan should be more influencial in things like scoring and scoring chances (i.e. we'll directly notice his influence more). One would also hope that Forlan is in better health than Frings was although this remains to be seen. Either way sign him up and go from there. Don't tell me the other players won't benefit from having a dude like that on the team even if it's only for a few years. This would be massive. Thierry Henry was considered on the decline when he came to the MLS too, right? I'm frankly shocked about this rumour potential signing. shocked in a good way.

DIEGO EFFING FORLAN.

Still Kicking
07-08-2013, 08:12 AM
Payne had mentioned a Designated Player signing, a player of global stature. He has delivered. Forlan is the sort of player that TFC fans would have expected once Tim Leiweke was named "big cheese".
I join the chorus on putting Mr. Forlan in the am role. Next home game July 20th - bring it on!

T-boy
07-08-2013, 08:14 AM
Putting it in perspective to some of the other DP's - he's younger than Henry and Di Viao, almost 3 years younger than the Italian, who clearly still has play left in him. I agree he isn't going to be "the player he once was", but neither is Di Viao, and that doesn't stop him scoring goals for fun at MLS level! Look at Montreal - they were nothing of a team the start of last season, you add in an in form Bernier, a competant veteran CB, and a DP older striker, and they turn into the best in the east. TFC have Caldwell, Laba, and hopefully Forlan - in the MLS it doesn't take much to turn a bag of poop into something glitering! If we sign Urruti, maybe a winger and a left back (so that O'Dea can move back to CB then you have a very competative side.

Greg
07-08-2013, 08:15 AM
You just compared Forlan to Dero? ;-)

Ya, I am crazy excited too, Urruti added into the mix, wowza!

I know. I know :)

Not meant as a comparison of players themselves. More about the exciting change they will bring to the club. Also how unlikely both moves seemed just before they were announced.

You can't argue that DeRo had a huge and immediate impact on the team.

I have no doubts forlan would as well. IF it happens.

Detroit_TFC
07-08-2013, 08:16 AM
I agree - AM would be the place for him.

I was hoping that our next major signing would build off of Laba signing. This fits the bill, even if it is for a relatively short term.

Not sure what impact of this we'll see for this year but having Forlan might improve our player recruitment prospects for next season.

tfcleeds
07-08-2013, 08:20 AM
Maybe it's just me, but perhaps I'm not as excited as I should be regarding this news. Yes, I honestly believe he has a couple good years left in him, and he obviously adds much needed class to our midfield (if he ends up being used as a AM which he should be). Maybe it's the fact that TFC has me so jaded, I don't see even a signing such as Forlan as enough to change our fortunes. At least there will be more excitement around free kicks the likes of which we haven't seen since Guevara was around, that's for sure. Yes, and PLEASE get O'Dea as far away from free kicks as possible now that Forlan is here!!!

Canary10
07-08-2013, 08:27 AM
Well, now we will know for sure if Laba is the real thing and if Silva is more than just a good prospect.

So whether Forlan scores goals will tell you if Laba is any good? I guess we'll also know if Bendik can distribute now too.

OgtheDim
07-08-2013, 08:42 AM
Something about that Globe article is off. Has Attfield covered us this year at all? Usually they use CP with Neil Davidson. Like I believe the rumour, but that article sounds like its done by somebody who doesn't normally cover us.

TFC_Allez
07-08-2013, 08:44 AM
Prizby, 1 bucket of Stella says he gets 3pts (goals/assists) in first 5 games.

Free kick from within 30yds he scores or assists.

Earnshaw, Brockie and Danny K have someone to feed them.

Now imagine with a healthy ecks.

----------Bendik
Eck--Caldwell--Henry - - O'Dea
---------Laba----------
Oso - - - - - - - - - - - - Convey
-------Forlan - - - - - -
Earnshaw - - DK/Brockie

This. Exactly this. And as also mentioned earlier...I welcome anyone of Forlan's calibre to BMO.

Dave67
07-08-2013, 08:49 AM
Who knows how this will turn out, only time will tell. But I really like how this signing (assumed signing) is coming at us. Boom, here it is. Not months of bullshit, just straight on here he is. The upside to this deal is huge.

Canary10
07-08-2013, 08:52 AM
I don't think you bring in a player like Forlan to play in the central midfield. Can't imagine he won't be playing up front - maybe back to 4-4-1-1 playing in the hole. We still need a central midfielder.

Oldtimer
07-08-2013, 09:05 AM
I like this move. Seems more about Football than tickets.
If he can fill an AM spot maybe we start to have the semblance of a decent spine?

My feeling too.

Although there are a lot of die-hard Man Utd fans in this city, this isn't a marketable name in the league of Beckham. This is an attempt to make the team win. Will it work? Who knows?

BuSaPuNk
07-08-2013, 09:07 AM
@alexfan590: This report out of Brazil says that Forlan's current club have NOT been approached by TFC. http://t.co/cHBaYkYAv3

billyfly
07-08-2013, 09:13 AM
Lol. Love it. As always.

Gazza
07-08-2013, 09:14 AM
He's been one of my favourite players to watch since he left United. Finally we have someone useful over set-pieces. It's tough to get too excited over this though. We are already out of playoff contention.

Edit. That didn't take long...like sands through the hour glass...

C.Ronaldo
07-08-2013, 09:24 AM
if this had little truth, TFC should have denied this already

Detroit_TFC
07-08-2013, 09:25 AM
Molinaro reports that his sources say TFC has been in contact with Forlan but far apart on money. So, like usual, select the version of events you personally like the best, there's lots to choose from.

C.Ronaldo
07-08-2013, 09:28 AM
someone leaked this strategically.

MLSE is now is a position to need to pony up to appease the fans.

Who else could they sign that would make up for missing a chance like this

bones
07-08-2013, 09:30 AM
Molinaro reports that his sources say TFC has been in contact with Forlan but far apart on money. So, like usual, select the version of events you personally like the best, there's lots to choose from.

Premature Forlan-ication by the Globe?

:(

Greg
07-08-2013, 09:33 AM
Premature Forlan-ication by the Globe?

:(

Could very well have been. Too good to be true?

gdg_9
07-08-2013, 09:35 AM
Something about that Globe article is off. Has Attfield covered us this year at all? Usually they use CP with Neil Davidson. Like I believe the rumour, but that article sounds like its done by somebody who doesn't normally cover us.

Someone mentioned that Attfield also broke both Frings and Koevs to TFC, so his credibility seems legit.

tfcleeds
07-08-2013, 09:35 AM
Globo also with the story of Inter denying any approach (in Portuguese)......http://globoesporte.globo.com/futebol/times/internacional/noticia/2013/07/jornal-coloca-forlan-no-toronto-fc-mas-inter-e-empresario-negam-saida.html........but then again, isn't that what all clubs say?

ensco
07-08-2013, 09:42 AM
Lol. Love it. As always.

omg this is actually funny.

There is only one source that would have caused the Globe and mail to run that story without naming the source, or second-sourcing it ..... (btw when will the sports journos ever learn not to run stories without second sources? it never ends....)

Do you think Leiweke leaked this deliberately? I do. If so, did he do this because he's close, and putting the pressure on , or because he's nowhere, and just wants us to know he fancies Jennifer Aniston ...?

Never a dull moment! :drinking:

pdogg
"As of today, Joao Plata is still a Toronto FC player"

In the end, it's all posturing.

billyfly
I have it on good authority that the paperwork and jersey are being done up "as we speak".

billyfly
07-08-2013, 09:43 AM
Do you think Leiweke leaked this deliberately? I wonder ....

Its true though as per my source.

BuSaPuNk
07-08-2013, 09:46 AM
^ What number will Forlan wear?

Richard
07-08-2013, 09:46 AM
If true, is he available.for selection next game?

Detroit_TFC
07-08-2013, 09:49 AM
omg this is actually funny.

There is only one source that would have caused the Globe and mail to run that story without naming the source, or second-sourcing it ..... (btw when will the sports journos ever learn not to run stories without second sources? it never ends....)

Do you think Leiweke leaked this deliberately? I do. If so, did he do this because he's close, and putting the pressure on , or because he's nowhere, and just wants us to know he fancies Jennifer Aniston ...?

Never a dull moment! :drinking:

Yes, that's what I was thinking too. If Leiweke was the source and he says "oh yah, this is a go" G&M would probably be satisfied with that.

Phil
07-08-2013, 09:53 AM
Most reporters who cover them know, its just a question of who breaks it. If they are wrong....

Never 100% know with this team until you see the player up there in the hot seat.

mcolvy
07-08-2013, 09:54 AM
This isnt a Kevin Payne move,

Its a Tim Leiweke one. WE DO NOT NEED TO WIN GAMES WITH FORLAN?

We need to build a core without a bigger then life player. What are the doing?

Sports KC doesnt have a marquee big name player because they created bigger then life players who fought hard and emerged as studs (Zusi, Besler.. etc..).

OMG WHY DO WE MAKE THE SAME MISTAKES OVER AND OVERR

ensco
07-08-2013, 09:54 AM
I have it on good authority that the paperwork and jersey are being done up "as we speak".

Leiweke may be telling everyone it's done, that I don't doubt. But this wouldn't be the first time that getting a player from South America is "done", and then somehow isn't done.

Objectively, it's weird that Forlan played yesterday, and would be free to leave his current club (a bigger club than TFC btw) mid season, without his club's permission.

It could also be South American posturing.

But I would hold off on getting a Forlan jersey, personally.

Detroit_TFC
07-08-2013, 09:56 AM
As the world churns -

Juan Arango ‏@JuanG_Arango (https://twitter.com/JuanG_Arango) 8m (https://twitter.com/JuanG_Arango/status/354249926710018048) Diego Forlán has just denied the move to Toronto FC. I just received notification from Inter's press dept.

Arango has been hammering all morning that this isn't happening.

ensco
07-08-2013, 10:10 AM
As the world churns -

Juan Arango ‏@JuanG_Arango (https://twitter.com/JuanG_Arango) 8m (https://twitter.com/JuanG_Arango/status/354249926710018048) Diego Forlán has just denied the move to Toronto FC. I just received notification from Inter's press dept.

First Urruti, now this. TFC media not covering themselves with glory this year.

Red I
07-08-2013, 10:16 AM
As the world churns -

Juan Arango ‏@JuanG_Arango (https://twitter.com/JuanG_Arango)8m (https://twitter.com/JuanG_Arango/status/354249926710018048) Diego Forlán has just denied the move to Toronto FC. I just received notification from Inter's press dept.

... par for the course. This is always done. Remember... we weren't going to get Nelsen until after the EPL season at one point. And even after, Redknapp stated he believed he could get him to stay longer after he came out and gave a parting date. Transfer Window isn't open yet... deal won't be confirmed until then, at the very least

BuSaPuNk
07-08-2013, 10:17 AM
Well the ball of string is unravelling here. Guess it was too good to be true.

tfcleeds
07-08-2013, 10:20 AM
Sometimes I just wish there was NO speculation whatsoever, and the first we'd hear of it would be when we see Forlan don the jersey at the press conference. But in today's world, and a potential signing of that magnitude, not gonna happen. In any event, I certainly wouldn't be to quick in pencilling him in the lineup for KC.

Oldtimer
07-08-2013, 10:21 AM
WHY DO WE MAKE THE SAME MISTAKES OVER AND OVERR

Worked for LA.

TFCtoMUFC
07-08-2013, 10:22 AM
^ What number will Forlan wear?

I'd say 7.

cincy
07-08-2013, 10:31 AM
John Molinaro re-tweeted from JaunG_Arango :Forlan: "There is a huge difference between proposal and actually signing"

cincy
07-08-2013, 10:32 AM
hopefully this is just posturing

barticusz
07-08-2013, 10:34 AM

Sports KC doesnt have a marquee big name player because they created bigger then life players who fought hard and emerged as studs (Zusi, Besler.. etc..).

I don't understand what the problem is here. TFC is full of young players at their core who are getting loads of playing time. You mix young with old to get a better product. If Forlan or a player of his status does come to TFC in the AM role they will give this team much more power in being able to sign other young talent like the Laba move. Signing Forlan would be fantastic for this club.

Corpand
07-08-2013, 10:35 AM
I feel like the Globe article was released because there was an initial MLS deal in place with Forlan and his club changed it last minute (asking for more $$).
Que in local article saying that player has been signed with no other confirmation other than the Globe. Sounds like someone trying to push a deal through by using this type of pressure.

I would be more glad if he did not sign. He feels like the short term throw-the-wrench-in-the-mix player whose main purpose is to fatten up Leiweke's wallet.

TOBOR !
07-08-2013, 10:37 AM
As the world churns -

That would be Sooooo TFC.

However, these stories often get denied until turning out to be true.

Northern Soul
07-08-2013, 10:39 AM

Ummmm...what? If you have a chance to get Diego Forlan on your team, you take it.

MartinUtd
07-08-2013, 10:40 AM
Worked for LA.

Yeah no kidding. DAE remember how bad LA was for TFC's (and Beckham's) first two years in the league? They were easy points, even for us.

TorontoGooner
07-08-2013, 10:47 AM
The people on here bemoaing us signing Forlan defies belief. It's like someone winning the lottery and moaning they had to spend $2 for the ticket. Like I've said before, this city will never be happy. Forlan is still a quality player that will add an immense amount of experience and confidence amongst the team. No, he's not a midfielder, but the hoofball that's played in the MLS anyway doesn't allow creative midfielders of genuine quality to thrive.

The fact that a player of his standing is coming to us and not LA or NY is something of a major coo. It just seems that people will be so quick to jump all over the FO for not signing Xavi or Iniesta, or bringing Danny Dichio out of retirement!

From a marketing stand point, he will sell shirts around the world (and certainly S.America) and put bums in seats. I hate to say it, but this could signal the end for Koevs (tis a shame). It's called a franchise, so accept it as a business.

brad
07-08-2013, 10:48 AM
My feeling too.

Although there are a lot of die-hard Man Utd fans in this city, this isn't a marketable name in the league of Beckham. This is an attempt to make the team win. Will it work? Who knows?

Not generating much interest around those folks.

TFC07
07-08-2013, 10:51 AM
Is Forlan coming or not? Conflict reports out there and I don't want to get my hopes up high only to be disappointed (again!)

brad
07-08-2013, 10:55 AM
Is Forlan coming or not? Conflict reports out there and I don't want to get my hopes up high only to be disappointed (again!)

No one knows. A good rule of thumb is never get your hopes up until you see the official press conference/announcement from the team

tfcleeds
07-08-2013, 10:56 AM
^I wouldn't count on anything until we actually see him done the jersey. In any case, I'm expecting this to be drawn out a bit if it does happen.

Solo La Maglia
07-08-2013, 10:58 AM
ya i dont get the whole let o'dea take all the free kicks that has been going on lately. Diego would certainly change that!!!

Yes, and PLEASE get O'Dea as far away from free kicks as possible now that Forlan is here!!!

OgtheDim
07-08-2013, 11:00 AM
John Molinaro re-tweeted from JaunG_Arango :Forlan: "There is a huge difference between proposal and actually signing"

That's a non-denial denial.

Red I
07-08-2013, 11:00 AM
... I don't want to get my hopes up high only to be disappointed (again!)

This pretty sums up what it means to be a TFC fan :p

Detroit_TFC
07-08-2013, 11:05 AM
I've dialed back my euphoria (not really for Forlan specifically, just for anything to help us out right now) back to my normal setting - simmering discontent.

Red I
07-08-2013, 11:06 AM
the hoofball that's played in the MLS anyway doesn't allow creative midfielders of genuine quality to thrive.

It's actually a huge misconception... no denying some teams do it, but every european player is actually quite surprised how many teams keep the ball on the ground; TFC included. No one in MLS is playing tiki-taca, but there are teams like KC, Seattle, Montreal - they get up and down the field with some good passing. I hope this trend continues; MLS is more watchable today than it ever has been, for me personally, because of this fact.

GBV
07-08-2013, 11:09 AM
http://www.thestar.com/sports/tfc/2013/07/08/diego_forlan_heading_to_tfc_report_suggests_urugua yan_soccer_star_coming_to_toronto.html

Red I
07-08-2013, 11:10 AM
ya i dont get the whole let o'dea take all the free kicks that has been going on lately. Diego would certainly change that!!!

It's hard to call off your captain to take a kick... but ain't no one going to take a ball away from Forlan! If he makes it here, this is finally one glaring weakness TFC has had for years that will instantly transform into a strength.

v00d00daddy
07-08-2013, 11:19 AM
http://www.thestar.com/sports/tfc/2013/07/08/diego_forlan_heading_to_tfc_report_suggests_urugua yan_soccer_star_coming_to_toronto.html

This has become fucking ridiculous. The Globe should out their source(s) and MLSE should fire whoever leaked this shit if it turns out to be false. I don't care how big the person is. TFC's reputation in this city is getting worse and worse. So bad that I fear even winning won't save it soon.

You talk to people who follow footy (but not TFC) and all they do now is laugh or shrug their shoulders with a lack of interest.

Mickey mouse club since day one it seems.

Unless of course it turns out to be true. LOL

GBV
07-08-2013, 11:22 AM
^ I think players/teams etc. deny all the time. His quotes are kind of vague, too.
Globe is a quite a respected publication ... hopefully this holds up.

billyfly
07-08-2013, 11:24 AM
The team expects the deal to be done.

v00d00daddy
07-08-2013, 11:24 AM
^ I think players/teams etc. deny all the time. His quotes are kind of vague, too.
Globe is a quite a respected publication ... hopefully this holds up.

“But I have a contract here for another two years. I’m very happy here and I have a contract...“But I would like to stay at Inter, until not only the (2014) World Cup, but until the end of the contract,” Forlan added.

Nothing vague about this. Somebody has lied.

Either the source to the Globe, The Globe themselves or Forlan himself is lying.

tfcleeds
07-08-2013, 11:26 AM
Almost guaranteed this doesn't end up happening, and we end up signing someone like Darren Bent, lol.

mastermixer
07-08-2013, 11:28 AM
From the globe article...

"Uruguay forward Diego Forlan, who played with Beckham at Manchester United for two seasons in the early part of the century, will be unveiled as Toronto FC’s newest designated player this week. It could happen as early as Monday or Tuesday, when the MLS international transfer window opens, and would make him available for selection for Saturday’s contest at Sporting Kansas City."

This basically says the deal is done. Nowhere does it read "Reports are saying" or "sources are saying" it says it is done. If this article is not correct than the globe should never be trusted.

Couchy81
07-08-2013, 11:28 AM

Either the source to the Globe, The Globe themselves or Forlan himself is lying.

If I was Forlan I wouldn't say anything until everything is signed and sealed. I definitely wouldn't tell the media I am not interesting at staying at my current club. Status quo until you go.

GBV
07-08-2013, 11:30 AM

Players deny ahead of "official announcements" all the time.

Not saying this is necessarily the case here, but it wouldn't be the first nor last time.

Red I
07-08-2013, 11:32 AM
This has become fucking ridiculous. The Globe should out their source(s)

Ya, great way to never get anyone to talk to you, and destroy your journalistic integrity... That being said, I do wish these reports didn't leak at the frequency they did, it does create ambivalence overtime; but to be honest, some of the stories for EPL teams are just as ridiculous - sometimes it works in a team's favour, like a Penn & Teller lesson in diversion.

Ivy
07-08-2013, 11:34 AM
Just look back at recent events. TFC said nothing, Juniors denied, agents denied, Laba said Argetinos is the only place I'm at, only to show up at Pearson afew days later.
Give it time, and wait for TFC to speak.

Red I
07-08-2013, 11:34 AM

Not necessarily lying... he might be happy, and he might want to stay - but there may be reasons he would come to MLS... millions of reasons

v00d00daddy
07-08-2013, 11:37 AM
If I was Forlan I wouldn't say anything until everything is signed and sealed. I definitely wouldn't tell the media I am not interesting at staying at my current club. Status quo until you go.

Players deny ahead of "official announcements" all the time.

Not saying this is necessarily the case here, but it wouldn't be the first nor last time.

Ya, great way to never get anyone to talk to you, and destroy your journalistic integrity... That being said, I do wish these reports didn't leak at the frequency they did, it does create ambivalence overtime; but to be honest, some of the stories for EPL teams are just as ridiculous - sometimes it works in a team's favour, like a Penn & Teller lesson in diversion.

Agreed but my point is that TFC should never have leaked this to the Globe in the first place. We're not an EPL club that can stand to benefit from the smoke and mirrors.

We're a club that has announced and then un-announced a shit load of signings and have even gone so far as to say that a player is still with our team on the day he's holding up another teams jersey. LOL

I don't trust TFC enough to believe that this is some kind of strategy that they're employing. It just seems like further incompetence.

I hope he's announced as a TFC player so a little trust with the club can be restored for me.

MKR
07-08-2013, 11:38 AM
This has become fucking ridiculous. The Globe should out their source(s) and MLSE should fire whoever leaked this shit if it turns out to be false. I don't care how big the person is. TFC's reputation in this city is getting worse and worse. So bad that I fear even winning won't save it soon.

You talk to people who follow footy (but not TFC) and all they do now is laugh or shrug their shoulders with a lack of interest.

Mickey mouse club since day one it seems.

Unless of course it turns out to be true. LOL

Why? soccer in general is notorious for jumping on rumours and signings before they actually if ever happen. You hear about this for pretty much every major team in every transfer window.

I don't see how this makes TFC's reputation seem worse. It's par for the course.

All i take away from this is that soccer fans should take every single report of potential player signings with a massive grain of salt. It's like tfcleeds said, don't get your hopes up until the player puts on the jersey.

T-boy
07-08-2013, 11:40 AM
This would be 4 wasted pages of life if it turns out to be a false rumour!

BuSaPuNk
07-08-2013, 11:40 AM
Just look back at recent events. TFC said nothing, Juniors denied, agents denied, Laba said Argetinos is the only place I'm at, only to show up at Pearson afew days later.
Give it time, and wait for TFC to speak.

+1

It happen's all the time. I wouldnt be surprised to see it happen even though all this talk about it not happening. I'm holding back now until I see him in a TFC jersey.

Gazza
07-08-2013, 11:41 AM
Would pale in comparison to the legendary De Ro thread.

Super
07-08-2013, 11:41 AM
It's interesting to see how Twitter is lighting up with Forlan linked to TFC comments. It may not happen, but it shows what a massive name the guy is (top scorer and MVP of the most recent WC, too). Followed by 3.6 million followers on Twitter. Outside of adding a great player to our team, we'd certainly increase our visibility in the world too.

Globetrotter
07-08-2013, 11:42 AM
You know what you could do, especially since TFC aren't playing in the next couple days and it's beautiful summer weather out there?... avoid the rumours and all this nonsense. Who cares? Thursday or Friday morning go to THE OFFICIAL TEAM website. If there's an announcement that has been made, you'll know about it and it will be official.

billyfly
07-08-2013, 11:42 AM
Would pale in comparison to the legendary De Ro thread.

pffft... Supporters Gate one was better.

g:D

ag futbol
07-08-2013, 11:43 AM
Yeah no kidding. DAE remember how bad LA was for TFC's (and Beckham's) first two years in the league? They were easy points, even for us.
I was going to make this point as well. They had to replace the coach and overhaul major parts of the roster before they got anywhere. LA's first run with Beckham in MLS was filled with strife.

mastermixer
07-08-2013, 11:45 AM
+1

It happen's all the time. I wouldnt be surprised to see it happen even though all this talk about it not happening. I'm holding back now until I see him in a TFC jersey.

But Forlan has been quoted today saying it's not happening? Why would he deny it if it's already done and he will be sitting at the podium at BMO field tomorrow?

PopePouri
07-08-2013, 11:45 AM
Some TFC employee just mentioned that Forlan was her co-worker.

Krista Cellucc ‏@theReal_kcelluc (https://twitter.com/theReal_kcelluc)59m (https://twitter.com/theReal_kcelluc/status/354264688286117888)
Forlan is my new coworker offically! Woooo! #tfc (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23tfc&src=hash) #TorontoFC (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TorontoFC&src=hash)

Well someone's fired.

tfcleeds
07-08-2013, 11:46 AM
The G&M isn't in the business of discussing transfer rumours, which I think is what led most of us initially to believe it was, in fact, a done deal. It may yet happen, but I think we need to be prepared for the possibility that it won't be imminent - this could end up being as drawn out as the Laba saga.

Oldtimer
07-08-2013, 11:46 AM
I don't trust TFC enough to believe that this is some kind of strategy that they're employing. It just seems like further incompetence.

I don't know for sure, but I'd guess the "expert" in charge of contracts is to blame:
http://www.torontofc.ca/sites/toronto/files/imagecache/620x350/image_nodes/2011/12/Cochrane620.jpg

enough is enough...

Greatest Ripoff
07-08-2013, 11:47 AM
Agreed but my point is that TFC should never have leaked this to the Globe in the first place.

Maybe I missed it, but did it say in the Globe story that the info was leaked by TFC or are you just assuming that TFC leaked it?

BuSaPuNk
07-08-2013, 11:47 AM
But Forlan has been quoted today saying it's not happening? Why would he deny it if it's already done and he will be sitting at the podium at BMO field tomorrow?

Same thing happened with Laba. He denied and said that he wasn't moving only to be here a week or so later.

Areathrasher
07-08-2013, 11:53 AM

Krista Cellucc ‏@theReal_kcelluc (https://twitter.com/theReal_kcelluc)59m (https://twitter.com/theReal_kcelluc/status/354264688286117888)
Forlan is my new coworker offically! Woooo! #tfc (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23tfc&src=hash) #TorontoFC (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TorontoFC&src=hash)

Well someone's fired.

That does not seem like a good career move.

Super
We'll have to wait this one out. Forlan denied it, Inter denied it, but there's definitely been contact there, and the talks between us and Forlan have been extensive.

I don't see Leiweke risking his reputation over this one. If this falls apart, and we're not able to bring in a big name player in this window, then Leiweke will be seen as a joke by all TFC fans. He promised a big signing. Forlan would be it. They're been working feverishly on it. I still think it'll happen!

PopePouri
That does not seem like a good career move.

Severely career-limiting.

Red I
07-08-2013, 11:54 AM

Well someone's fired.

:facepalm:

BuSaPuNk
07-08-2013, 11:54 AM
@theReal_kcelluc: @wopchop87 you are wrong! He just signed lol

Some PR person for TFC is reporting this.

ProfessorDamage
07-08-2013, 11:55 AM

Well someone's fired.

WOW, that's a pretty sizeable mistake. The club is about to announce it's biggest signing ever, for which it will get international attention, and this random TFC employee just casually outs it on Twitter. It's like no matter how many of these fuck ups get publicized, someone is making a new one the following week.

And what makes it better is that her profile says she has a "passion for sports PR & communications." Indeed!

Oh, and edit: GUESS FORLAN'S COMING!!!! Bahahahaha.

ensco
07-08-2013, 11:56 AM
Maybe I missed it, but did it say in the Globe story that the info was leaked by TFC or are you just assuming that TFC leaked it?

The Globe made a mistake, but it's pretty easy to guess what happened. The Globe is not the Sun. Who would the Globe believe except for Leiweke or Payne? It has to have been one of them.

(There used to be a two source rule, but sports only seems to get reported these days on a one-source basis. Hopefully we go back to two sources one of these days.)

The question is, why? Why did Leiweke or Payne spill this?

PopePouri
07-08-2013, 11:57 AM
This is getting comical now.

Red I
07-08-2013, 11:57 AM
@theReal_kcelluc: @wopchop87 you are wrong! He just signed lol

Some PR person for TFC is reporting this.

... I think someone needs to send this employee a copy of MLS Roster Rules before Garber does

EDIT: Wopchop?? Seriously?

mastermixer
07-08-2013, 11:59 AM
Was there not someone a couple of weeks ago that was lined up but got denied at the last minute because according to Nelsen they asked for too much money? I'm trying to remember who that was...

BuSaPuNk
07-08-2013, 11:59 AM
^ who says they follow the rules lmao

mowe
07-08-2013, 12:01 PM
The Globe report clearly came from a higher up at MLSE. That's why none of the beat reporters got the scoop and why the article seemed so sure. It even said Forlan would be unveiled today or tomorrow so that should tell you something.

I personally don't think MLSE would leak this if it wasn't a done deal. It makes sense that a big signing like this wouldn't be leaked by the usual sources.

Eastend
07-08-2013, 12:01 PM
Was there not someone a couple of weeks ago that was lined up but got denied at the last minute because according to Nelsen they asked for too much money? I'm trying to remember who that was...

Carlos Tevez.

billyfly
07-08-2013, 12:02 PM
... I think someone needs to send this employee a copy of MLS Roster Rules before Garber does

EDIT: Wopchop?? Seriously?

A Portuguese/Italian guy born in 87 no doubt...

Eastend
07-08-2013, 12:03 PM
The Globe report clearly came from a higher up at MLSE. That's why none of the beat reporters got the scoop and why the article seemed so sure. It even said Forlan would be unveiled today or tomorrow so that should tell you something.

I personally don't think MLSE would leak this if it wasn't a done deal. It makes sense that a big signing like this wouldn't be leaked by the usual sources.

It's on twitter now posted by a pr person so it must be true.

Super
07-08-2013, 12:04 PM
Ugh, the waiting is going to be tough. Looks like it will be a long couple of days ahead!

Super
07-08-2013, 12:04 PM
Krista Cellucc ‏@theReal_kcelluc (https://twitter.com/theReal_kcelluc)9s (https://twitter.com/theReal_kcelluc/status/354284165430120449)
My apologies unfortunately its not official yet! Maybe i should clarify that i am officially excited that its in the works!

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

ag futbol
07-08-2013, 12:06 PM
Krista Cellucc ‏@theReal_kcelluc (https://twitter.com/theReal_kcelluc)9s (https://twitter.com/theReal_kcelluc/status/354284165430120449)
My apologies unfortunately its not official yet! Maybe i should clarify that i am officially excited that its in the works!

Expand (https://twitter.com/theReal_kcelluc/status/354284165430120449)
In other words, she subtly recants what she originally said. Further that, I'll bet she deletes that tweet in the near future or backs off it.

Don't think she would be the one telling the media we're negotiating with Diego Forlan.

Abou Sky
07-08-2013, 12:06 PM
Wow, I have only been following since 2011, I think that may be for the best, I take it I have seen some of the worst as far as record goes but at least I am not as incredibly jaded as so many here.

Eastend
07-08-2013, 12:07 PM
Bahahahahahaha

NolbertoS
07-08-2013, 12:07 PM

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

If she's retracting her comment, I'd say it's 99.99% true, Forlan is coming. Just some happy employees that jumped the gun quickly and got told by higher ups in MLSE to shut up.

tfcleeds
07-08-2013, 12:08 PM
Well, one thing IS for certain - TFC are now looking for someone to fill a vacancy in their communications department. ;)

Red I
07-08-2013, 12:09 PM

HOW ARE YOU IN PR??!?! lololol

brad
07-08-2013, 12:10 PM
Wow, I have only been following since 2011, I think that may be for the best, I take it I have seen some of the worst as far as record goes but at least I am not as incredibly jaded as so many here.

Give it a few years :)

For those of us that have been around since the beginning, it's hard not being jaded after being insessently lied to over and over

Oldtimer
Who would the Globe believe except for Leiweke or Payne? It has to have been one of them.

Why aim that low? There's a certain individual shareholder who might have spilled the beans...

Super
If she's retracting her comment, I'd say it's 99.99% true, Forlan is coming. Just some happy employees that jumped the gun quickly and got told by higher ups in MLSE to shut up.

I'm leaning towards that as well. However, could be she just followed the twitter-hype on this and jumped in with both feet first like the rest of us. Either way it's bad form on her part and there may be consequences.

ProfessorDamage
07-08-2013, 12:12 PM
Well, one thing IS for certain - TFC are now looking for someone to fill a vacancy in their communications department. ;)

I work in a very large corporation, overseeing a signficant portion of its communications department. I can tell you with utmost certainty we would severely caution - if not fire - this person if something similar happened.

With that said, TFC has a longstanding track record of players saying borderline stuff (remember them commenting about Cockring?) and so does the front office (see: Beirne, Paul). I don't think she has anything to worry about.

Red I
I sure hope she didn't have a hand in the creation of rules for player usage of social media... :D

bones
pffft... Supporters Gate one was better.

g:D

Cashzilla #1 in my books.

Super
07-08-2013, 12:13 PM
http://www.andrewspenceonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/img-348630-1-im-so-excited.jpg

Officially excited.

OgtheDim
07-08-2013, 12:15 PM
I'd give him a break - the guy has been married less then a week and now has to explain he might be moving to this place where the record low for Montevideo would cause people here to drink on a patio.

ensco
07-08-2013, 12:16 PM
Why aim that low? There's a certain individual shareholder who might have spilled the beans...

My read of the tea leaves:

It's Leiweke or Payne because the author was Attfield alone, the TFC beat guy (a pretty solid journo btw).

There was no credit or co-credit in the article to Shoalts or Blair or Brunt, who write about soccer only very occasionally, and are historically Tanenbaum's relationships at the G&M.

NolbertoS
07-08-2013, 12:17 PM
Read in the Uruguayan newspapers that Forlan has extended family in Canada. Anybody know in Toronto, if that's true? That he might be also thinking of literally settling down here for good??

TOBOR !
07-08-2013, 12:17 PM

I'll wait to hear what Jennifer Benson has to say about this (@wordonbaystreet)

Areathrasher
07-08-2013, 12:20 PM
The Globe made a mistake, but it's pretty easy to guess what happened. The Globe is not the Sun. Who would the Globe believe except for Leiweke or Payne? It has to have been one of them.

(There used to be a two source rule, but sports only seems to get reported these days on a one-source basis. Hopefully we go back to two sources one of these days.)

The question is, why? Why did Leiweke or Payne spill this?

Roma tickets go on sale tomorrow??

TFCtoMUFC
07-08-2013, 12:21 PM
Read in the Uruguayan newspapers that Forlan has extended family in Canada. Anybody know in Toronto, if that's true? That he might be also thinking of literally settling down here for good??

Fergie has extended family in Toronto as well. HOLY SHIT WE'RE GOING TO TURN INTO MANCHESTER UNITED.

I wouldn't read into the extended family thing, or the weather. I have extended family in tons of places, doesn't mean I'd ever visit there let alone go to live. Also, as if Forlan would live here year round. I'd say he'd be here March-October then be on the first flight back to Montevideo.

flatpicker
MLSsoccer.com is reporting on the possible signing.

Is it normal for the MLS website to write about unconfirmed reports?

Ultra & Proud
Lots of times the leak comes from the player's agent or the player's current team if the deal hasn't been completely finalized yet. Then the the player and current club deny everything, the supporters around the new team get restless and the interwebs explode. Then the deal finally gets done with usually a bit more cash thrown in for the player and old club and everyone is happy. New team saves face and old club, player, and agent get more $$$. Happens all the time.

Stress
I'm leaning towards that as well. However, could be she just followed the twitter-hype on this and jumped in with both feet first like the rest of us. Either way it's bad form on her part and there may be consequences.

I think it's 100% done now. The fact that she replied back to wopchop saying basically, the reason I know is because I work there, it tells me she's not just following the twitter hype and she heard from within the organization. Looking forward to the presser tomorrow or Wednesday now.

Ultra & Proud
07-08-2013, 12:23 PM

Well they'd be the ones to know since if there is a contract to be signed it'd be with them and not TFC.

flatpicker
07-08-2013, 12:25 PM
Well they'd be the ones to know since if there is a contract to be signed it'd be with them and not TFC.

Yeah, that's why I asked the question.
Seems odd that MLS would report something if it didn't have truth to it.

OgtheDim
07-08-2013, 12:27 PM

That site is a bit weird when it comes to copy. They do a lot of opinion pieces (not about the refs) and sound impartial. But, they aren't.

I suspect they know as much as the rest of us and are just covering themselves. Its the #1 news item in MLS right now, whether its true or not. If it turns out to not be true, they just slide with it.

ensco
07-08-2013, 12:29 PM
Roma tickets go on sale tomorrow??

Holy smokes that is true.

Ultra & Proud
That site is a bit weird when it comes to copy. They do a lot of opinion pieces (not about the refs) and sound impartial. But, they aren't.

I suspect they know as much as the rest of us and are just covering themselves. Its the #1 news item in MLS right now, whether its true or not. If it turns out to not be true, they just slide with it.

Tevez to TFC thing was a huge interwebs thing too and i don't recall MLS reporting on that even though we supposedly really made a pitch for him.

Carefree
I was just having lunch at St. Louis and saw this news on the CP24 ticker. Don't remember the exact wording but they seemed pretty sure it was ready to be announced officially. I almost spit out my chicken wings.

billyfly
07-08-2013, 12:30 PM
I'd say 7.

or 10

Canary10
07-08-2013, 12:31 PM
Did the MLS transfer window open today?

ManUtd4ever
07-08-2013, 12:32 PM
Well, I think it's clear that the organization feels that the acquisition of Forlan is imminent. That being said, I will withhold my excitement until it's official because we have witnessed deals of this magnitude falling apart at the last minute in the past.

gcolacci
07-08-2013, 12:32 PM

yes it did

Stress
07-08-2013, 12:33 PM
Perhaps the deal is sitting with MLS for final approval and that's why TFC leaked it.

Super
07-08-2013, 12:34 PM
Perhaps the deal is sitting with MLS for final approval and that's why TFC leaked it.

At least this is one deal that Garber and his good time buddies won't nix for us.

Phil
07-08-2013, 12:34 PM
or 10

I can't see Earnshaw handing that over too easily....

billyfly
07-08-2013, 12:35 PM
Yeah not sure how that would work.

Ageroo
07-08-2013, 12:37 PM

One of these may change his mind.....
http://raymondleejewelersblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/super-pres1.jpg?w=300

I think Forlan can afford it.... ;)

Red I
07-08-2013, 12:37 PM

(B) TRANSFERS AND LOANS
An MLS player may be transferred or loaned at any time to a team outside the League (subject to that team’s Federation’s transfer window), subject to the consent of the player.

The registration windows – the dates between which MLS may request the transfer certificate of a player under contract in another country – are as follows:

February 12 – May 6 (Primary Window)
July 9 – August 8 (Secondary Window)

Super
07-08-2013, 12:38 PM
So we'll know tomorrow.

Canary10
07-08-2013, 12:42 PM
(B) TRANSFERS AND LOANS
An MLS player may be transferred or loaned at any time to a team outside the League (subject to that team’s Federation’s transfer window), subject to the consent of the player.

The registration windows – the dates between which MLS may request the transfer certificate of a player under contract in another country – are as follows:

February 12 – May 6 (Primary Window)
July 9 – August 8 (Secondary Window)

Thanks. Possibly why they can`t say anything today. Although I`m not sure that matters.

Detroit_TFC
07-08-2013, 12:46 PM
The main thing that troubles me is the lack of any corroboration in Brazil. There would have to be at least one journo with an inside contact at the club in the know. I'm worried that TFC FO (from the big bosses down to the interns, apparently) think this is a go but it really isn't.

Section 117
07-08-2013, 12:46 PM
I don't post much on the site lately... But I spoke to my people and this is a done deal.

not sure when the announcement will be, but he should be unveiled by the end of the week

Wagner
07-08-2013, 12:50 PM
IF everything works out.
and they announce July 9 or 10.

does he Dress July 20 vs. NY Shite Cows.

tfcleeds
07-08-2013, 12:51 PM
Guess we should also be checking for any Forlan sightings at Porto Alegre or Toronto airports for the next couple of days...

cincy
07-08-2013, 12:51 PM
I don't post much on the site lately... But I spoke to my people and this is a done deal.

not sure when the announcement will be, but he should be unveiled by the end of the week I feel better after hearing this

Phil
07-08-2013, 12:52 PM

not sure when the announcement will be, but he should be unveiled by the end of the week

Good to see you back :D

Canary10
07-08-2013, 12:54 PM
IF everything works out.

Henry and Forlan on the same pitch? That willl be a fun game.

NolbertoS
07-08-2013, 12:55 PM
The main thing that troubles me is the lack of any corroboration in Brazil. There would have to be at least one journo with an inside contact at the club in the know. I'm worried that TFC FO (from the big bosses down to the interns, apparently) think this is a go but it really isn't.

I doubt Internazionale of Brasil would post about there big marquee player leaving the club. You gotta remember all deals stay silent in footballing circles, just like when Real Madrid or Barcelona want to sign somebody, they don't leak the deal until its 90% finalized. Is Forlan leaving as a free agent from Internazonale?? or we paying a transfer fee for him?? Either way, it'll break the bank at TFC and I hope more people come to the stands at BMO Field. Its getting pretty depressing seeing the stands on TV with little singing and fans :(

Section 117
07-08-2013, 12:57 PM
Good to see you back :D

I am always around, more creeping then anything....

I have tried to not comment as somethings on here are just too over the top.

Super
07-08-2013, 12:59 PM
I doubt Internazionale of Brasil would post about there big marquee player leaving the club. You gotta remember all deals stay silent in footballing circles, just like when Real Madrid or Barcelona want to sign somebody, they don't leak the deal until its 90% finalized. Is Forlan leaving as a free agent from Internazonale?? or we paying a transfer fee for him?? Either way, it'll break the bank at TFC and I hope more people come to the stands at BMO Field. Its getting pretty depressing seeing the stands on TV with little singing and fans :(

Forlan is apparently under contract till 2015 - so we would have to put down a transfer fee. Will likely be a pretty insane expense when you couple salary and transfer fee together, but this is being done by a guy who brought over Beckham to the tune of 50 million per year. He's not afraid to make a bold move/statement that could potentially make TFC a hot ticket in town again.

WINS will bring the people back to BMO, though. Forlan will bring some people back, sure, but wins is what will really pack the house.

Carts
07-08-2013, 01:03 PM
WINS will bring the people back to BMO, though. Forlan will bring some people back, sure, but wins is what will really pack the house.

100% spot on...

Marc"2L"
07-08-2013, 01:08 PM
Paul, look, everybody makes mistakes.

It's tough out there, these kids don't know what's what, don't fire her.
Please do hire me to help though.

So I guess tickets on sale tomorrow with an email announcing a conference and stream for Thursday?

OgtheDim
07-08-2013, 01:10 PM
IF everything works out.

MLSE missing out on a chance to hype Forlan vs. Henry?

No wonder that tweet went out. The marketing department must look like a bit of :willy_nilly: and a bit of :fluffy: today.

ensco
07-08-2013, 01:10 PM
Given that billyfly and others are saying it is "done", I will assume it is "done".

I wonder what the caliber of TFC's legal review of Forlan's Brazilian contract has been.

Based on the news flow from Brazil, I'm guessing that Forlan has, or says he says has, some sort of an escape clause from his current club, but that he got caught out be the leak and hasn't triggered it yet.

If his doesn't see it the same way (ie that he is free to walk), this could get interesting in a hurry. Brazilian courts are notorious for siding with the clubs.

Joe Kool
07-08-2013, 01:12 PM

Earnshaw hasn't played and has been "injured" since his current contract was set to expire. I don't recall reading that he was officially signed up for the rest of the year....or did I completely miss the news. Last I heard they were working on it and Earnshaw was adamant in interviews that nothing solid has been reached. Maybe his number 10 will go somewhere else.

Phil
07-08-2013, 01:13 PM
Earnshaw hasn't played and has been "injured" since his current contract was set to expire. I don't recall reading that he was officially signed up for the rest of the year....or did I completely miss the news. Last I heard they were working on it and Earnshaw was adamant in interviews that nothing solid has been reached. Maybe his number 10 will go somewhere else.

Earnshaw is here until the end of the year from what I hear.

tfcleeds
07-08-2013, 01:15 PM
Earnshaw is here until the end of the year from what I hear.Odd that it hasn't been confirmed yet - we heard about Caldwell, no such thing about Earnshaw though.

Super
07-08-2013, 01:16 PM
cathalkelly ‏@cathalkelly (https://twitter.com/cathalkelly)6m (https://twitter.com/cathalkelly/status/354300103923740672)
Spoke with a source on Forlan to Toronto FC. Negotiations underway for weeks. Not done, but soon could be.

Joe Kool
07-08-2013, 01:16 PM
Earnshaw is here until the end of the year from what I hear.

I will take your word for it. It wouldn't be the first time a player stopped playing due to "injury" while negotiating. Just didn't see anything official saying it was done and he hasn't had an interview since his loan was set to expire.

Phil
07-08-2013, 01:18 PM
Odd that it hasn't been confirmed yet - we heard about Caldwell, no such thing about Earnshaw though.

I recall early on, it was stated that the loan was for the entire season, then there was some kind of pull back to July. I suspect someone said the wrong thing and they all just went to a default answer.

tfcleeds
07-08-2013, 01:19 PM
cathalkelly ‏@cathalkelly (https://twitter.com/cathalkelly)6m (https://twitter.com/cathalkelly/status/354300103923740672)Spoke with a source on Forlan to Toronto FC. Negotiations underway for weeks. Not done, but soon could be.Yep, I'm gonna be following Cathal to get the lowdown on this....lol.

Red Rat
07-08-2013, 01:20 PM
This Diego deal smells funny, and it ain't the dead groundhog in the trunk of my car.
just saying

OgtheDim
07-08-2013, 01:25 PM
cathalkelly ‏@cathalkelly (https://twitter.com/cathalkelly)6m (https://twitter.com/cathalkelly/status/354300103923740672)
Spoke with a source on Forlan to Toronto FC. Negotiations underway for weeks. Not done, but soon could be.

That would be one of Paul B's assistants, most likely. Given the vehemence Kelly spent on defending Paul B the night of the big loss, that would be the logical source for troll man.

Ron Manager
07-08-2013, 01:29 PM
These types of comments mean little. Not done could mean he hasn't signed yet. Could be already agreed and his flight booked etc.
All of these comments involve alot of semantics with people trying to give slippery answers for all the reasons we have already noted. Section 117 has always been reliable and that tweet and quick retraction from the TFC staffer seems somewhat telling.

Ivy
07-08-2013, 01:30 PM
This Diego deal smells funny, and it ain't the dead groundhog in the trunk of my car.
just saying
As it should... A major player being transferred to MLS on a multi million dollar deal is not every day news. People will exaggerate and take advantage of the situation. There's a lot of people saying nothing yet, but a lot f people saying Done deal. I feel like the only person to solve this dilemma is Phil :)

bones
07-08-2013, 01:31 PM
Ask any big player if he's been traded and what do you think he will say right at the point of rumour? "hell no"... deny deny deny. I'm pretty sure ML$E/MLS are dealing with Inter and not Forlan himself. Let's see what happens.

Toronto_Bhoy
07-08-2013, 01:41 PM
Has Forlan "officially" retired from playing with Uruguay?

With next year's World Cup in his backyard, this would be an extremely bold move if he wants to play.

Not to mention TFC would be without him for as much as 6 to 8 weeks.

cmonyoureds
07-08-2013, 01:41 PM
From the globe article...

"Uruguay forward Diego Forlan, who played with Beckham at Manchester United for two seasons in the early part of the century, will be unveiled as Toronto FC’s newest designated player this week. It could happen as early as Monday or Tuesday, when the MLS international transfer window opens, and would make him available for selection for Saturday’s contest at Sporting Kansas City."

This basically says the deal is done. Nowhere does it read "Reports are saying" or "sources are saying" it says it is done. If this article is not correct than the globe should never be trusted.

Good god. Really? This is how you highlight his career?
Some days the reporting in this country really has me shaking my head. :facepalm:

GBV
07-08-2013, 01:42 PM
http://www.torontosun.com/2013/07/08/tfc-to-sign-diego-forlan-report

Phil
07-08-2013, 01:43 PM
As it should... A major player being transferred to MLS on a multi million dollar deal is not every day news. People will exaggerate and take advantage of the situation. There's a lot of people saying nothing yet, but a lot f people saying Done deal. I feel like the only person to solve this dilemma is Phil :)
If Section 117 says it....its pretty much gospel.

I still wait for something official. We have all been on the player roller coaster before.

BuSaPuNk
07-08-2013, 01:46 PM
^ yep I'm with Phil. We know its done its just a matter of seeing him with the jersey till I completely believe it.

Rudy
07-08-2013, 01:52 PM
^ yep I'm with Phil. We know its done its just a matter of seeing him with the jersey till I completely believe it.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/sports/uruguayan-striker-diego-forlan-denies-toronto-fc-move-1.1358139

brad
07-08-2013, 01:54 PM

Thanks for coming back to put this up. You have a ton of cred on this stuff with folks that have been around here for a while.

Oblio2
07-08-2013, 01:58 PM
http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1494303/uruguay-striker-diego-forlan-denies-toronto-fc-move-imminent?cc=5901

Canary10
07-08-2013, 01:58 PM
http://www.ctvnews.ca/sports/uruguayan-striker-diego-forlan-denies-toronto-fc-move-1.1358139

Well that was fun. At least we still have Michael Thomas.

Red I
07-08-2013, 01:59 PM

... yes, because CTV has better sources than Molinaro, Larson, Kelly, Section 117 - a report on what another team/agent has stated regarding one of the more famous players on their team taken as indisputable evidence that the player is not coming shows a severe lack of understanding of the landscape of pro soccer, and ignores the history that this can happen, and mean nothing

BuSaPuNk
07-08-2013, 01:59 PM

I trust Section117 he's pretty good at not blowing hot air. If he says it's done I take his word over MSM. Not the place to get your news about TFC or as try like to say the FC.

brad
07-08-2013, 02:00 PM
Ask any big player if he's been traded and what do you think he will say right at the point of rumour? "hell no"... deny deny deny. I'm pretty sure ML$E/MLS are dealing with Inter and not Forlan himself. Let's see what happens.

They'll have to deal with both. Inter first to deal with specifics of the transfer between clubs (transfer fees and then other terms) and then with Forlan to hammer out personal terms (salary and other clauses).

moralis
07-08-2013, 02:06 PM
Answer me this, why would Internacional of Brazil want to sell Forlan to TFC if they plan on selling Leandro Damiao to Napoli for 20 million euros. Napoli plan on selling Cavani to PSG for 60 million euros.

billyfly
07-08-2013, 02:13 PM
I guess what people need to understand is that Diego Forlan to TFC is not a made up story or a case of something being merely discussed.

When certain people say that its true, well it is. The caveat of course is we have all seen "done deals" fall apart just before the news conference.

Red I
07-08-2013, 02:14 PM
Answer me this, why would Internacional of Brazil want to sell Forlan to TFC if they plan on selling Leandro Damiao to Napoli for 20 million euros. Napoli plan on selling Cavani to PSG for 60 million euros.

Why did Santos sell Neymar? Why does anyone sell anyone on contract? They have a plan, and it probably involves the money they get from these transfers. If they plan on selling Damiao and Forlan, there will be replacements on the horizon, and dealing them away will happen early, so they can focus on getting replacements, who they have already talked to, and come to an agreement. It is Brazil - they can poach another team's young players to fill that void as well.

EDIT: At end of the day, if a player wants to go, and a team is willing to pay a large fee, you gotta make that happen, it doesn't benefit the team to keep a guy that wants to leave to a specific destination at a specific time, especially if it's a marquee guy. A team player like Forlan can destroy the image of a team very easily, unsettle the dressing room

NolbertoS
07-08-2013, 02:15 PM

I doubt they'd get alot of money from European clubs for Forlan's transfer. Maybe Forlan requested a quiet setting where he'd like to get paid and not be mobbed like a celebrity on thr streets of Montevideo. Y.P. Lee of the Whitecaps chose Vancouver Whitecaps for family reasons more than financial as he gets paid a pittance there.

Section 117
07-08-2013, 02:18 PM

Cavani has nothing to do with it

Damaino has been rumored to be sold the last 4 transfer windows I will believe it when I see it. (More than likely sold after the World Cup IMO)

selling Forlan at 34 is getting money for a player that more than likely would not have just retired when his contract was up. so they are getting something for a diminishing asset

ag futbol
07-08-2013, 02:18 PM
You would be surprised the degree to which Brazilian clubs will clear house. Some will absolutely gut their teams because: 1) they love transfer money 2) they have a lot of confidence in young players coming through their ranks. It really is a factory down there at times. The factory has to sell things to continue to exist.

ensco
07-08-2013, 02:21 PM
selling Forlan at 34 is getting money for a player that more than likely would not have just retired when his contract was up. so they are getting something for a diminishing asset

Has any 34 year old ever been acquired on a transfer?

Ivy
07-08-2013, 02:25 PM
http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1494303/uruguay-striker-diego-forlan-denies-toronto-fc-move-imminent?cc=5901
That article says nothing interesting. When his club accepts a transfer amount and tell him that they would like him gone, the guy doesn't have many choices... I suspect the transfer fee would be 5-6 million minimum, and inter thinks they can get a more productive player for less money.

tfcleeds
07-08-2013, 02:25 PM
You would be surprised the degree to which Brazilian clubs will clear house. Some will absolutely gut their teams because: 1) they love transfer money 2) they have a lot of confidence in young players coming through their ranks. It really is a factory down there at times. The factory has to sell things to continue to exist.This. You would be amazed at the player turnover at Brazilian clubs. Even star players get moved all the time, as clubs are always willing to cash in when they can, especially as many clubs aren't in the greatest financial shape. And there are always replacements.

Abou Sky
07-08-2013, 02:29 PM
That article says nothing interesting. When his club accepts a transfer amount and tell him that they would like him gone, the guy doesn't have many choices... I suspect the transfer fee would be 5-6 million minimum, and inter thinks they can get a more productive player for less money.

I am already excited but I know I have been let down before.

That said, IIRC didn't Laba say a few days before he was up here with a Jersey & Scarf on that he was not moving clubs?

Cap hit is all the same if we pay $351k or $300m for him and if Liewike wants a cheque signed all he has to do is say 'LA Galaxy' to the board and they will write it.

Is he coming? I don't know either way, but if I had to put money on it, I would go with yes.

Canary10
07-08-2013, 02:32 PM
Considering David Villa left Barcelona for 2.1 million Euros (possibly 5.1 depending on how long he stays there), any fee in that range for Forlan would be considered pretty good.

Ivy
07-08-2013, 02:34 PM
I am already excited but I know I have been let down before.

That said, IIRC didn't Laba say a few days before he was up here with a Jersey & Scarf on that he was not moving clubs?

Cap hit is all the same if we pay $351k or $300m for him and if Liewike wants a cheque signed all he has to do is say 'LA Galaxy' to the board and they will write it.

Is he coming? I don't know either way, but if I had to put money on it, I would go with yes.
Laba did exactly that. They all do...because unlike the media, players are smart - they don't want to speak prematurely. They will not say a word until they are holding up the scarf. Forlan should be the last person who we believe about this.

Section 117
07-08-2013, 02:36 PM

To my knowledge most are free ala Anelka to West Brom or Abidal to Monaco

imo the MLS is a different beast due to the salary cap and all of the rules. You can justify to an extent a transfer for an older player as there is value for the team from a marketing stand point and on the pitch.

It depends on the player, but in Forlan's case he is still playing at an incredibly high level with his national team so I can see why TFC pursued him. For footballing reason if he is deployed behind the strikers as an am I think it is a great move.

spark
07-08-2013, 02:41 PM

I can't say this 100%, but perhaps - as with Neymar - he is not owned outright by the club. If part of his contract is owned by other investors, and like 117 says, see someone willing to pony up on a diminishing asset, the club probably can't say no as they may not have enough % to control what happens with him.

That is pure speculation based on what appears to be a growing trend in Brazil but one that might factor here.

Super
07-08-2013, 02:41 PM
http://www.cp24.com/toronto-fc-mum-on-diego-forlan-reports-1.1358330

Forlan sure is helping to generate a ton of TFC-related articles today.

reggie
07-08-2013, 02:48 PM
im shocked at the lack of knowledge of the local media and some of the fans have about FORLAN,if he indeed comes here,i think he will play in the #10 role AM.which he plays most of the time now with the nat team.

jloome
07-08-2013, 02:58 PM

To people who keep defending the existence of this story: I noted in the player movement thread and it bears reiterating that no source has ever confirmed, in print, to anyone that Diego Forlan is coming except, allegedly, this morning's Globe piece.

All of the earlier pieces were off a mere "rumor" report that TFC was interested in Forlan from Steve Goff of the Post, on July 3. They all cited and used the same chain of reporting from that one "rumor." It's notable that Goff is a good reporter; if he thought there was any truth to it, he really WOULD find sources to confirm it, and he wouldn't have posted it as a mere rumor.

As for today's Globe piece, I think people need to understand, definitively, that the print media is largely shit now. It never was as great as people thought, in terms of depth, reliability, fairness of context; but old axioms like "this paper is big and old, therefore reliable" no longer apply. It's the individual writers and their track records that require familiarity now.

Most unnamed sources are either reporters trying to make up a story or organizations deliberately leaking a "trial balloon", to see how an idea will go over publicly. In this case, I doubt it was the latter.

Ivy
07-08-2013, 02:58 PM
im shocked at the lack of knowledge of the local media and some of the fans have about FORLAN,if he indeed comes here,i think he will play in the #10 role AM.which he plays most of the time now with the nat team.
Share some knowledge! I like learning new things :)

Ivy
07-08-2013, 03:00 PM
To people who keep defending the existence of this story: I noted in the player movement thread and it bears reiterating that no source has ever confirmed, in print, to anyone that Diego Forlan is coming except, allegedly, this morning's Globe piece.

All of the earlier pieces were off a mere "rumor" report that TFC was interested in Forlan from Steve Goff of the Post, on July 3. They all cited and used the same chain of reporting from that one "rumor." It's notable that Goff is a good reporter; if he thought there was any truth to it, he really WOULD find sources to confirm it, and he wouldn't have posted it as a mere rumor.

As for today's Globe piece, I think people need to understand, definitively, that the print media is largely shit now. It never was as great as people thought, in terms of depth, reliability, fairness of context; but old axioms like "this paper is big and old, therefore reliable" no longer apply. It's the individual writers and their track records that require familiarity now.

Most unnamed sources is either reporters trying to make up a story or organizations deliberately leaking a "trial balloon", to see how an idea will go over publicly. In this case, I doubt it was the latter.
So you think it's all BS? All Forlan will not be announced this week?

jloome
07-08-2013, 03:03 PM
I will add that even that CTV story denying it is inaccurate: "The Washington Post originally published a story last week claiming the team was set to sign Forlan to their roster. Reports continued as late as Sunday by The Globe and Mail, also stating Forlan would join the Reds."

Read more: http://www.ctvnews.ca/sports/uruguayan-striker-diego-forlan-denies-toronto-fc-move-1.1358139#ixzz2YUC4u4IX

NO, it didn't. Goff reported that Forlan was still interested in MLS. If he came, Toronto would be interested in signing him. That's it.

I just hate it when people get their hopes up on this stuff and it doesn't happen. And it usually doesn't happen. Alessandro Nesta, anyone?

jloome
07-08-2013, 03:04 PM
So you think it's all BS? All Forlan will not be announced this week?

I think rumors have a way of gaining momentum. Sometimes, it's because people on either side of a potential deal are testing the waters. Sometimes, those talks are going on, but the party on one side doesn't know they're just being used for contract leverage.

I will say this: in sports, there is no such thing as a done deal until the player arrives in your city.

billyfly
07-08-2013, 03:05 PM
I think rumors have a way of gaining momentum. Sometimes, it's because people on either side of a potential deal are testing the waters. Sometimes, those talks are going on, but the party on one side doesn't know they're just being used for contract leverage.

I will say this: in sports, there is no such thing as a done deal until the player arrives in your city.

Agreed.

Section 117
07-08-2013, 03:10 PM
Nesta was never a done deal.... He was interested in playing here but out FO at the time screwed the pooch and never returned his call

These talks have been going on for a while... Goff's report was probably from his source from inside the MLS head office... All I am saying is that I heard this signing was done. Yes I agree that until we see him holding up the jersey it is not official. But I feel confident with what I was told hence why I posted it

jloome
07-08-2013, 03:12 PM
Nesta was never a done deal.... He was interested in playing here but out FO at the time screwed the pooch and never returned his call

These talks have been going on for a while... Goff's report was probably from his source from inside the MLS head office... All I am saying is that I heard this signing was done. Yes I agree that until we see him holding up the jersey it is not official. But I feel confident with what I was told hence why I posted it

You have a better track record than most of the reporters in Toronto (than all of them, probably) so I'm inclined to be optimistic. But you know what I'm saying. When I still had a source at the club, it was clear SEVERAL times that they had big names literally locked up and the next second, like literally days before announcing, the deal was kaput.

reggie
07-08-2013, 03:16 PM
Share some knowledge! I like learning new things :) lol...the knowledge I have is watching him play the last few years,and its looks like he is playing in the hole more,,,J M was on the fan this morn and he said that he doesn't understand why tfc would bring in another striker when they hv so many holes to fill....because I think he is coming in to fill the #10 roll...much respect to my fellow tfc fans

reggie
07-08-2013, 03:19 PM
omg...was earl anywhere close to the front office today??

Canary10
07-08-2013, 03:23 PM
lol...the knowledge I have is watching him play the last few years,and its looks like he is playing in the hole more,,,J M was on the fan this morn and he said that he doesn't understand why tfc would bring in another striker when they hv so many holes to fill....because I think he is coming in to fill the #10 roll...much respect to my fellow tfc fans

I am curious to see where he's played, if indeed he plays with us. I don't see Nelsen deviating from his two central mid formations. He doesn't really seem to like using a diamond. I suspect Forlan lines up as a withdrawn forward, not a midfielder, and plays the number 10 from there. Hopefully we find out Saturday against SKC. :)

ryan
07-08-2013, 03:24 PM
omg...was earl anywhere close to the front office today??

Someone has to get Lieweke his coffee.

Dreadlocks
07-08-2013, 03:27 PM
Forlan or not, this team may not be very entertaining on the pitch but off the pitch they always give us SOOO much to talk about for sure!!

This thread has been more entertaining than the last 5 matches combined!

Ivy
07-08-2013, 03:29 PM
I said from the beginning, along with others, that he would play the AM.

reggie
07-08-2013, 03:32 PM
Forlan or not, this team may not be very entertaining on the pitch but off the pitch they always give us SOOO much to talk about for sure!!

This thread has been more entertaining than the last 5 matches combined!

yr so right about that...lol,,,I worried some other team may grab him at the last min,hence another last min loss.

tfcleeds
07-08-2013, 03:33 PM
Well, I'm still somewhat optimistic, given a couple of people who are trusted and have much credibility on these boards have said they have it on good authority it's a done deal. I guess if Forlan is training with Inter on Wednesday, we'll know it's not happening - at least not this week, anyway.

NolbertoS
07-08-2013, 03:33 PM
I'll assume Forlan is a sure lock now, how far along is TFC in the Urutti sweepstakes?? Is that a finalized deal too?? If TFC is willing to open the wallet more, why not try to raid Boca and River's prospects or at least try for a Riquelme type player.

reggie
07-08-2013, 03:35 PM
RN....did say 3 or 4 more players are coming in...

Richard
07-08-2013, 03:37 PM
Forlan was my favourite player during WC 2010, he played outstanding then and I'm sure he has a good 3 years left. To be honest I didn't even know about him until then, really glad to see we might have a chance to sign him.