PDA

View Full Version : Please bring Stefan Frei back in net!

Oldtimer
07-05-2013, 06:06 AM
Bring back Stefan Frei!

Our longest-serving player, a guy with tonnes of passion for the team.

Our best option now that he's fit.

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/001/487/985/127229219_display_image.jpg?1319769723

SUPER STEFAN FREI!!!!

ensco
07-05-2013, 06:23 AM
+1!!

JuliquE
07-05-2013, 06:29 AM
+1!!
Took the.. uh.. number, right out of my mouth.

I feel like, at a time like now, he could really be the shot in the arm our boys need and with our first team, this time (huge difference).

OgtheDim
07-05-2013, 06:39 AM
No. This isn't our biggest need for a change. And all it would do is unsettle the team.

I would bring him in for the mid week game against Chivas just to get him some minutes working with the defence.

But Bendik is the #1 until he has a cruddy couple of games.

brad
07-05-2013, 06:50 AM
I'd like to see him back for sentimental purposes, but it sends a terrible message putting him back. Bendik has been great - put Frei in now and you send the message "When you are given your shot, it doesn't matter if you take it and earn your place in the starting 11, you lose it once the person you displaced comes back"

ensco
07-05-2013, 06:55 AM
^What message? He's not Peter Cech. Bendik went from the reserves last year to playing every minute of every game.

If Koevs is getting action to "see what he has got", then Frei should be too.

zamperina
07-05-2013, 06:59 AM
I think Bendik could use a break and since Frei has only played 1 or 2 games this year I think it wouldn't hurt to see what he's got. It may also be in the best interest of the team to showcase him if indeed they are trying to trade him.

brad
07-05-2013, 07:19 AM
^What message? He's not Peter Cech. Bendik went from the reserves last year to playing every minute of every game.

He's no Cech, but he's earned his spot through performances. He's done nothing to get dropped. Doesn't matter what he did in the past. What's he's doing now is what you want every fringe player to do. When given the opportunity to play - take it, perform well enough to stay in the team.

Koevs is a different story. Our forwards aren't exactly on the top of their game. If they were banging them in, it would be a bit different, but they aren't. Plus, outfield players get rotated and subbed way more than keepers do. Just the nature of the position.

Ivy
07-05-2013, 07:29 AM
Unfortunately for Frei, the only game he played finished 6-0...
Bendik hasn't made any mistakes (other than some of his wild punts) and is much cheaper than Frei.

CBTFC
07-05-2013, 07:37 AM
Man, I'd take Petr Cech as a DP signing any day.

Abou Sky
07-05-2013, 08:07 AM
IIRC in 2011 Winter played a number of games with each in net one half.

I don't know what the effect would be, only those with locker room knowledge of the team could have some idea.

BuSaPuNk
07-05-2013, 08:17 AM
^ I'd only give him a start to rest Bendik for a bit but really our schedual has a nice gap in it now so there's no need.

But I do agree if we want to move Frei at all he's got to get some minutes to showcase himself. No one is going to take on his salary with not seeing him play this year. Not that it really makes a difference because there's no way I see a team trading for him, unless there really stuck for a keeper.

Not sure how much term he has left on his contract but if he's still signed up to next year I think the best thing to do would be to loan him out to a USL/NASL team for the year so he can get some playing time and bring him back for camp next year.

PopePouri
07-05-2013, 08:40 AM
No.

I feel for him though.

TOBOR !
07-05-2013, 09:29 AM
Unfortunately for Frei, the only game he played finished 6-0...
Bendik hasn't made any mistakes (other than some of his wild punts) and is much cheaper than Frei.

Frei needs to be played if only to show his worth to potential suitors. If he has any value at all it's not apparent with him sat on the bench nursing his sore back.

tfcleeds
07-05-2013, 09:33 AM
Unfortunately for Frei, the only game he played finished 6-0... Bendik hasn't made any mistakes (other than some of his wild punts) and is much cheaper than Frei.Bendik for the most part has looked solid, but he was lucky he didn't gift another goal to RSL with some pretty shaky distribution during that game. I'd like to see Frei make a century of appearances for TFC though.

burlington Red
07-05-2013, 09:46 AM

Difference being, a fully fit Danny K is an improvement. Frei isn't an improvement on Bendik. The other difference being, you can give Danny K 15 mins here and there in a bid to get his match fitness back, you can't do that with Frei. He was given a chance against Montreal to stake a claim and didn't take it. It wasn't just his fault but he didn't do himself any favours with the couple of goals he was solely at fault for. Everyone likes Frei, and he is a good keeper, but for what he is paid and what he have currently, I'll take Bendik all day long.

Thomas
07-05-2013, 09:54 AM
Leave Bendik in net, as he as proven he is #1. I am certain he inspires some confidence with the rest of the team. I like Frei, but it wouldn't make sense to start him now.

Ultra & Proud
07-05-2013, 09:59 AM
I wouldn't unsettle the team out of sentiment. Plus if you put him in and he flops like he did against Montreal then the Nelsen second guessing will fly and Frei will effectively be done here and maybe damaged long term confidence-wise.

Canary10
07-05-2013, 09:59 AM
Bendik for the most part has looked solid, but he was lucky he didn't gift another goal to RSL with some pretty shaky distribution during that game. I'd like to see Frei make a century of appearances for TFC though.

Yeah, he made two bad clearances/passes out the back that could have gone for goals in that game.

Oldtimer
07-05-2013, 11:32 AM
Bendik looked solid early in the year, but recently his game has declined somewhat. He's still decent, but I'd give him a break.

Stefan deserves to have a chance, I believe there is a game or two where he would have made the difference.

Yohan
07-05-2013, 11:39 AM
Frei is again coming back from an injury and nowhere near match fit

ag futbol
07-05-2013, 11:41 AM
I would argue the distribution part of the game is actually much more important than a lot of people assume. Bednik completes about 40% of his passes. Most MLS keepers complete between 45-55% of their passes and the very best complete around the low 60s. This all adds up and it equates to more defending for this team.

We're too conservative in our lineup choices and tactical decisions. It feels like we default to the safe option too often, like we're content to say "we were in the game" without actually taking chances to win one.

T-boy
07-05-2013, 11:55 AM
I love Frei circa 2011, best TFC player every game.

But Bendik is the 2013 version of the 2011 Frei and is outstanding. I wouldn't drop Bendik, he makes some great saves each week and keeps the team in games. That double save against Montreal after they got level was fantastic. Bendik's level hasn't dropped since day one, he's playing just as well now as he was at the start of the season.

I feel bad for Frei, but would probably feel worse for Bendik if he got dropped when he's playing so well.

The difference between Frei and Koevermanns is that Frei's replacement is playing well, while TFC aren't scoring many goals so you can make an argument for Koevermanns to play a few games in place of Earnshaw, who hasn't scored in a few weeks.

brad
07-05-2013, 01:16 PM
I would argue the distribution part of the game is actually much more important than a lot of people assume. Bednik completes about 40% of his passes. Most MLS keepers complete between 45-55% of their passes and the very best complete around the low 60s. This all adds up and it equates to more defending for this team.

We're too conservative in our lineup choices and tactical decisions. It feels like we default to the safe option too often, like we're content to say "we were in the game" without actually taking chances to win one.

Agree distribution from the back is critical. What were Frei's numbers like?

Carts
07-05-2013, 01:27 PM
If ever there was an easy opening for Nelsen to give Frei a start - it's after Bendik allowing 3 (no matter what the circumstances)...

I guess the only wrinkle in that is the fact it was still a draw against the conference leading team...

If TFC are going to want to trade Frei (not saying I do) - he'll need to play, put in some solid play, or have no current value...

Its a problem, 2 good keepers, but at least its a good problem - let's face our other problems are just plain painful (aka holding a lead!)

T-boy
07-05-2013, 01:34 PM
If ever there was an easy opening for Nelsen to give Frei a start - it's after Bendik allowing 3 (no matter what the circumstances)...

I guess the only wrinkle in that is the fact it was still a draw against the conference leading team...

If TFC are going to want to trade Frei (not saying I do) - he'll need to play, put in some solid play, or have no current value...

Its a problem, 2 good keepers, but at least its a good problem - let's face our other problems are just plain painful (aka holding a lead!)

I would agree except I don't thik Frei, Benkik, or Cech or any world class keeper could have done anything about the 3 goals. If Bendik was at fault for any of them I would say yeah, sure drop him. But that wasn't the case with the 3.

Globetrotter
07-05-2013, 01:39 PM
after Bendik allowing 3 (no matter what the circumstances)...

Lol. No matter what the circumstance. Except this circumstance. :D

pdogg
07-05-2013, 01:56 PM
I think it would be a show of class by the organization to allow Frei, a trooper for us through some horrible years, to get to 100 caps for us. He's at 98, so it would just be 2 games, that's all. 17 league games left - 15 for Bendik, 2 for Frei.

8 home games left to make it happen.

ag futbol
07-05-2013, 02:05 PM
Agree distribution from the back is critical. What were Frei's numbers like?
Wish I had it... the website I find these stats from (http://www.whoscored.com (http://www.whoscored.com/)) doesn't have anything except the current MLS season. It's too bad, because that could also provide us with some insight whether Bednik's distribution is really a cut below everyone else's or whether his teammates / the way the coaching staff asks him to play might be impacting his pass %.

Another thing that crossed my mind: is the current form of the keeper really all that important? This season is shot, we are not making the playoffs. The most important thing we can do is find out which guy is the better keeper, which we won't be able to objectively do unless we give Frei more games. Failing that, it might boost his trade value, which gets us somewhere as well.

Thomas
07-05-2013, 02:07 PM
I disagree here. Even a really good keeper is bound to let a soft one in once and a while.I wouldn't 'drop him' because of one.

I would agree except I don't thik Frei, Benkik, or Cech or any world class keeper could have done anything about the 3 goals. If Bendik was at fault for any of them I would say yeah, sure drop him. But that wasn't the case with the 3.

Yohan
07-05-2013, 02:15 PM
Sentimentality has no business here.

What would Bendik think, if Frei starts over him just because of sentimentality? Bendik has done nothing to warrant being dropped.

Frei can get his caps during friendlies

pdogg
07-05-2013, 02:44 PM
It's not sentimentality, it's treating your players with a modicum of respect. We've done a fabulous job of running people out of town, or forcing retirement on them. A symbolic gesture like this can show that the ideology of the FO has changed for the better.

Bendik won't be playing all 34 games anyways.

Suds
07-05-2013, 02:58 PM
Frei, and every other goalie for that matter, knows the deal. Bide your time until you get your shot then run with it once you do. I'm sure Frei's frustrated as hell and thinks he could be helping the team. However, Bendik earned the spot and has not done enough to lose it. Bendik took his chance. That's the life of goalies.

I'm sure Frei will get a game at some point. Injuries, spell of bad games, busy schedule, etc. Frei will get another shot and when he does he needs to be ready to win his spot back.

Bendik knows Frei is waiting for his shot to win the spot back and that should be motivating Bendik to work hard and stay on his game. Sucks for Frei right now but a nice position for our team to be in. Two quality MLS keepers fighting for the #1 job. Not a luxury many teams have.

prizby
07-05-2013, 04:26 PM
#BringStefanBack

denime
07-05-2013, 04:34 PM
NO, Bendik is our #1 and he should stay until he starts screwing up.
Feel sorry for Frei,but that's the life of professional athlete.

sashavukelich
07-05-2013, 04:34 PM
Sentimentality has no business here.

What would Bendik think, if Frei starts over him just because of sentimentality? Bendik has done nothing to warrant being dropped.

Frei can get his caps during friendlies

Spot on. Seeing as NONE of us here are privy to practice sessions, i'm wondering why we all think Frei deserves a chance?? A goalie can EASILY play more games than an outfield player, and don't fatigue in the same way.

Oldtimer
07-05-2013, 05:50 PM
It's not sentimentality... I actually think that a fit Stefan is better than what we've seen from Bendik the last couple of games. When your 'keeper is tired, it's time to rotate. Stefan will push to perform... he loves this team, the city, and the fans.

gate7
07-05-2013, 11:12 PM
Bring back Stefan Frei!

Our longest-serving player, a guy with tonnes of passion for the team.

Our best option now that he's fit.

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/001/487/985/127229219_display_image.jpg?1319769723

SUPER STEFAN FREI!!!!

+100 about time someone spoke up.

HuTor
07-07-2013, 10:26 AM
NO, Bendik is our #1 and he should stay until he starts screwing up.
Feel sorry for Frei,but that's the life of professional athlete.

This.

burlington Red
07-07-2013, 12:48 PM
It's not sentimentality... I actually think that a fit Stefan is better than what we've seen from Bendik the last couple of games. When your 'keeper is tired, it's time to rotate. Stefan will push to perform... he loves this team, the city, and the fans.

Stefan will push to perform... he loves this team, the city, and the fans- and Bendik doesn't.

Also note that to bring Frei in now, he wouldn't have the match fitness/sharpness that you can only get from playing for the 1st team. I honestly don't get the whole Bendik is tired thing, he has looked solid. Every keeper will do the odd slip up from game to game, remember even when Frei was playing well for us, he would regularly be seen flapping at crosses. I like Frei, but for a club who are trying to trim their wage bill, we have a ready made younger, cheaper and in my eyes better keeper now.

Not sure if you are just asking for Frei to get maybe 1 game here and there or looking for him to get a run of games. A lot of teams do rotate their keepers in other leagues, but they are playing a lot more football than us and the big teams tend to do it in the mickey mouse cup's or against weaker sides- currently we don't have that luxury. If I thought Bendik was struggling I'd be the first to call out for Frei but I just don't see it right now.

burlington Red
07-07-2013, 12:56 PM

Not sure I buy that now is a time to consider dropping him as he conceded 3 goals. It is pretty much 100% agreed Bendik was not at fault for any of the goals. I look at Villa last yr in EPL and Brad Guzan conceded a lot of goals, I think in one game v Chelsea, it was 8. Funny thing was he wasn't at fault for any and actually made some crackin saves in that game and in most games he played. His boss stood by him and I actually think he was one of the best keepers last season in PL. I think Nelson at this stage anyway needs to back Bendik, until such times as he is costing us goals, which right now he isn't.

Oldtimer
07-07-2013, 01:17 PM
Not sure if you are just asking for Frei to get maybe 1 game here and there or looking for him to get a run of games.

I'm saying that Bendik seems tired (that's my opinion, you can differ), he was better earlier in the season, and Stefan should get the next couple of games. After that, who knows?

Mark in Ottawa
07-07-2013, 01:33 PM
unfortunately TFC is a bad enough team to not have many extra competitions to play in and so limited games to go around.
Such is life.

v00d00daddy
07-10-2013, 08:25 AM
Backup goalkeeper Stefan Frei did not train with the club on Tuesday as he was back home in California sorting out some visa issues, according to Nelsen. Frei has been the focus of a lot of trade speculation ever since being displaced as the club’s starting goalkeeper by Joe Bendik at the start of this season

I think this is a shitty way to have treated Frei. Never got another sniff to play and it would have been to TFC's benefit. He may have made himself tradeable. Instead he's "sorting out visa issues". Whatever that means.

Nelsen screams disingenuous to me.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/toronto-fc-trades-silva-to-d-c-united/

pdogg
07-10-2013, 11:03 AM
Looking back, Frei has been eligible to play since at least April 24th, the first leg of the VCup. Maybe earlier, but that's all I can find definitively.

Since that game, in MLS matches, we've had 5 losses, 3 draws and one win. 6 points out of a possible 30 (20%). I'm not going to hang Bendik on those losses as the defence only allowed a combine total of 14 GA over the 9 games, with one clean sheet and allowing only two goals in 3 games and the 3 goal Montreal game. That's one goal or less in half the games

Prior to that date, and Frei may have been eligible for a few games, I don't know - our record was 2 losses, 4 draws and one win. 7 out of a possible 21 points (33%).

I'm not sure I see how, when we are only achieving 13 out of a possible 51 (~25%) points, that we can't justify giving Frei at least one league game?

I agree Bendik has played great, and it's not on him that we're playing horribly, but we have our starting GK of almost 100 games, toiling on the bench. If it's a results oriented game, and we've changed EVERY other positional player, then put Frei in net for a game to see. I doubt we want the 6-0 game against Montreal to be the last game Frei stood between the pipes for us.

gate7
07-15-2013, 09:54 PM
I think this is a shitty way to have treated Frei. Never got another sniff to play and it would have been to TFC's benefit. He may have made himself tradeable. Instead he's "sorting out visa issues". Whatever that means.

Nelsen screams disingenuous to me.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/toronto-fc-trades-silva-to-d-c-united/

Starting to feel the same.. One thing is for sure what goes around comes around.. I bet Nelson isn't part of the long term plans anyway.

gate7
07-15-2013, 09:58 PM
Looking back, Frei has been eligible to play since at least April 24th, the first leg of the VCup. Maybe earlier, but that's all I can find definitively.

Since that game, in MLS matches, we've had 5 losses, 3 draws and one win. 6 points out of a possible 30 (20%). I'm not going to hang Bendik on those losses as the defence only allowed a combine total of 14 GA over the 9 games, with one clean sheet and allowing only two goals in 3 games and the 3 goal Montreal game. That's one goal or less in half the games

Prior to that date, and Frei may have been eligible for a few games, I don't know - our record was 2 losses, 4 draws and one win. 7 out of a possible 21 points (33%).

I'm not sure I see how, when we are only achieving 13 out of a possible 51 (~25%) points, that we can't justify giving Frei at least one league game?

I agree Bendik has played great, and it's not on him that we're playing horribly, but we have our starting GK of almost 100 games, toiling on the bench. If it's a results oriented game, and we've changed EVERY other positional player, then put Frei in net for a game to see. I doubt we want the 6-0 game against Montreal to be the last game Frei stood between the pipes for us.

I agree.. Bendik is no superstar. i say split the job. They are not playing to win anyway.

Carts
07-16-2013, 09:19 AM
6-goals allowed in 2-games... I know Bendik isn't at fault for them all, but if Frei isn't given a shot after that, he might (should) walk or quietly ask for a move...

I like Bendik - but what's the point in two good keepers, if one is never given the chance to push the other...

Start Frei - if he keeps a clean sheet, or is solid in a 1-goal-against result, start him again. That will push Bendik to be better. Frei then knows an excellent, low goals against or result performance keeps him in games - that will push Frei to be better...

Like I said, having two good keepers is great as it pushes the other to be better - but NOT if the same keeper will play no matter what the result. Might as well as have me as backup then, b/c the starter knows I will never see the pitch...

Carts...

BuSaPuNk
07-16-2013, 09:47 AM
I would say if Frei is ever going to get a start again it will be tonight. A mid week game on the road three games in 7 days. Today's the day if it happens. If not I'm pretty sure the writings on the wall he will never see the net here.

ag futbol
07-16-2013, 10:29 AM
Starting to feel the same.. One thing is for sure what goes around comes around.. I bet Nelson isn't part of the long term plans anyway.
Heat is going to be on Nelsen next year very heavily to produce.

Giving TL's ambitions in terms of building a roster, it's questionable whether you'd trust that roster to an inexperienced coach.

TFC Tifoso
07-16-2013, 10:59 AM
has nothing to do with sentimentality.....Frei never lost his spot due to form, only injury.......give the man his spot back......

Damien
07-16-2013, 11:08 AM
Trade Bendik or Frei please. Both have decent MLS value and we need reinforcements.

Question is... which MLS team is in desperate need of a GK with something to offer TFC.

Oldtimer
07-16-2013, 11:24 AM
Trade Bendik or Frei please. Both have decent MLS value and we need reinforcements.

Question is... which MLS team is in desperate need of a GK with something to offer TFC.

No one. That's the problem...

pdogg
07-16-2013, 12:20 PM
has nothing to do with sentimentality.....Frei never lost his spot due to form, only injury.......give the man his spot back......

I believe he needs to earn his spot back, but he hasn't been given a chance to do that yet. That's my biggest problem. And if he is being shown the door, which is what it sounds like from KP's recent interview, let him at least get a proper sendoff by the fans.

I've said from the beginning that 2 games is all that is needed to get him to 100. Play him at Chivas and make the 100th a home game (and work around my schedule too!). If he hasn't earned his spot back with those, send him off. I'd hate to see him go, but I understand the business of it.

OgtheDim
07-16-2013, 12:37 PM
... And if he is being shown the door, which is what it sounds like from KP's recent interview, let him at least get a proper sendoff by the fans.

Given that Frings retired with a cheesy 2 minute video, not done in house, shown 15 minutes before the first game of the season, with nobody on hand to say thank you but a handler

what are you expecting?

Lieweke has stated he is going to stop all the Leaf celebrations of the past and take down all the stuff in the ACC that talks about 1962 etc.

Do we really expect him to OK a celebration of a TFC player?

(I don't agree with this btw, but I'm not expecting anything)

pdogg
07-16-2013, 12:56 PM
Given that Frings retired with a cheesy 2 minute video, not done in house, shown 15 minutes before the first game of the season, with nobody on hand to say thank you but a handler what are you expecting?

Frings played essentially a year with us (July 2011 to September 2012) - 33 games, not even a full MLS season. While he was a great player in his own right, I wouldn't compare Frings' contributions the the club to that of Frei's. He's been here 4.5 years and has seen every player that started with him come and go. The only players still around the club in any capacity are featured up on the wall of honour. Last season while out with an inury he put together his own tifo (https://twitter.com/Stefan24Frei/status/223473785884516352/photo/1).

I can expect better from the team for a player that has been as loyal to the club as he has. This is their first chance to show that they can treat a long standing player properly on the way out.

Ajax TFC
07-16-2013, 12:57 PM
actually he did - at the beginning of the 2012 season right before he got injured. He's actually never even played an MLS game since Kocic took his spot back then.

TFC Tifoso
07-16-2013, 01:16 PM
I believe he needs to earn his spot back, but he hasn't been given a chance to do that yet. That's my biggest problem. And if he is being shown the door, which is what it sounds like from KP's recent interview, let him at least get a proper sendoff by the fans.

I've said from the beginning that 2 games is all that is needed to get him to 100. Play him at Chivas and make the 100th a home game (and work around my schedule too!). If he hasn't earned his spot back with those, send him off. I'd hate to see him go, but I understand the business of it.

fair enough....though to me, aside form one spectacular game earlier this year in Philly, Bendik has done nothing to say he's clearly head and shoulders better than Frei and deserves the No. 1 either.....let's not forget, had he not broken his nose in pre-season, he woud've gotten his spot back......more likely is your idea that he is being shown the door soon (I feel this as well), and in that case its wise to keep him out of the lineup......but strictly based on performance, at this point he should be in again.......

actually he did - at the beginning of the 2012 season right before he got injured. He's actually never even played an MLS game since Kocic took his spot back then.

Frei's only game in the 2012 season was the 2-2 draw v LA in the CCL.....then he broke his leg......his form had nothing to do with him losing his spot.......

PopePouri
07-16-2013, 01:20 PM
Frei's only game in the 2012 season was the 2-2 draw v LA in the CCL.....then he broke his leg......his form had nothing to do with him losing his spot.......

I recall he was shit in that game gifting McGee with a goal.

OgtheDim
07-16-2013, 01:22 PM
I actually agree that tomorrow would be a good game to get him in. And Nelsen must state afterwards, no matter what, that Bendik is #1.

TFC Tifoso
07-16-2013, 01:35 PM
I recall he was shit in that game gifting McGee with a goal.

lol.....if we were to send every goalie who's let in a bad goal to the sidelines and look for a new one, we'd have one hell of a long list.......let's be reasonable here......

Ajax TFC
07-16-2013, 02:18 PM
no, he played the first game against LA (and played like crap), Kocic got the start in the return leg, and then started again three days later in the MLS season opener meaning he won the starting spot. Frei got injured in a practice session before the next game against SJ.

TFC Tifoso
07-16-2013, 02:35 PM
no, he played the first game against LA (and played like crap), Kocic got the start in the return leg, and then started again three days later in the MLS season opener meaning he won the starting spot. Frei got injured in a practice session before the next game against SJ.

fair enough, but I have a hard time believing that through 3 coaches later (Winter, Mariner, and now Nelsen), and a complete management overhaul that Frei lost his job for good due to his performance in the very first game of last season......all I am saying is that to me Bendik has done nothing to cement himself as the No. 1....he's played 1 great game in Philly this year and nothing else that stands out to me....and besides its not like we have any chemistry to upset......

the only good reason for Frei to be sitting now is because they're looking to move him and don't want him hurt......

PopePouri
07-16-2013, 02:43 PM
lol.....if we were to send every goalie who's let in a bad goal to the sidelines and look for a new one, we'd have one hell of a long list.......let's be reasonable here......

Right but name one howler from Bendik since the start of the season.

tfcleeds
07-16-2013, 03:01 PM
I think Bendik's kept us in more than just one game this year. That being said, I think Frei deserves a start - tomorrow would certainly make sense.

Yohan
07-16-2013, 03:08 PM
when I hear of Stefan Frei, I remember 6-0 shame at the hands of Mtl and I keep thinking, Frei had his chance to prove himself worthy.

pdogg
07-16-2013, 03:29 PM
If you want to blame the 6-0 on Frei, take a look at the team in front of him and tell me that would be a team that Bendik would have faired much better.

Frei
Richter - Califf - Henry - Morgan
Bostock - Osorio - Bekker - Lambe
Earnshaw - Wieddeman

And Frei did get the team's first clean sheet of the season in the other game that he played. It was another 2 months before we saw another one.

Yohan
07-16-2013, 03:31 PM
If you want to blame the 6-0 on Frei, take a look at the team in front of him and tell me that would be a team that Bendik would have faired much better.

Frei
Richter - Califf - Henry - Morgan
Bostock - Osorio - Bekker - Lambe
Earnshaw - Wieddeman

And Frei did get the team's first clean sheet of the season in the other game that he played. It was another 2 months before we saw another one.
Everyone who played that game shares blame for the game. Regardless, you don't lose 6-0 in a game as a GK. it just doesn't happen.

TFC Tifoso
07-16-2013, 03:39 PM
Right but name one howler from Bendik since the start of the season.

off the top of my head I can't.....but not because it hasn't happened.....its because this season I've been the least engaged in TFC out of all the seasons.....we've let in 27 goals...I'm sure one of those could've been put on Bendik....I'd actually be shocked if out of 27 you could honestly say none were......

I think Bendik's kept us in more than just one game this year. That being said, I think Frei deserves a start - tomorrow would certainly make sense.

and we've all said the same of Frei before.....

Ajax TFC
07-16-2013, 03:41 PM
fair enough, but I have a hard time believing that through 3 coaches later (Winter, Mariner, and now Nelsen), and a complete management overhaul that Frei lost his job for good due to his performance in the very first game of last season......all I am saying is that to me Bendik has done nothing to cement himself as the No. 1....he's played 1 great game in Philly this year and nothing else that stands out to me....and besides its not like we have any chemistry to upset......

Okay, you have a point that his performance against LA isn't why he's currently sitting, but it's also not correct to say that he lost his spot due to injury not form. The last time he actually had a spot to lose, he lost it because of form, not injury. The reason he's currently sitting is that Bendik is our #1. The #1 almost always gets all league starts that he is capable of starting. The backup usually gets the cup games. Now there are no more cup games, and Frei didn't exactly do himself any favours there.

the only good reason for Frei to be sitting now is because they're looking to move him and don't want him hurt......

How about the fact that Bendik will still be here next year whereas Frei will not. why would you bench someone who's a part of the future in favour of someone who's not - especially when they've been playing well enough?

PopePouri
07-16-2013, 03:44 PM

Montreal couldn't even muster a shot on target. He was still suspect failing to punch a freekick that he should have taken.

http://youtu.be/mrZRhfaqetU

tfcleeds
07-16-2013, 03:50 PM
How about the fact that Bendik will still be here next year whereas Frei will not. why would you bench someone who's a part of the future in favour of someone who's not - especially when they've been playing well enough?I think we can all agree that Frei is a goner from this club. However, as has been expressed earlier, wouldn't it be nice if this club did the right thing for ONCE, in regards to a departing player who's been a massive servant to the club? Just letting him rot there, never to start again, and cutting him loose finally doesn't sit well with me. What's Bendik got to lose? Nothing. He's the future, not Frei. And after Saturday's horror show, why not give Bendik a much needed rest tomorrow? I'm sure he could do with a mental break as well, and not have to be in the line of fire again, as will almost certainly be the case.

pdogg
07-16-2013, 03:59 PM
Montreal couldn't even muster a shot on target. He was still suspect failing to punch a freekick that he should have taken.

http://youtu.be/mrZRhfaqetU

If he's getting blamed for the 6-0, he gets credit for the clean sheet as well.

Ivy
07-16-2013, 04:29 PM
No not really... Getting a clean sheet when the opposition doesn't shoot at you is great and all, but when the other team has 10 shots, and 6 of them go in... Hmmmm...
take a look at the highlights from the 6-0 and count how many goals were Frei's mistakes

Ajax TFC
07-16-2013, 04:42 PM
I counted three. goals 1,2, and 4 were all directly or indirectly a result of a mistake by him.

#1 - he tries to save a cut back with his feet, only to slightly deflect it straight to a montreal player
#2 - he for some reason has to fully extend himself to the side to stop a shot from a tight angle (because he's standing between the Montreal player and the near post leaving the far side wide open), which results in him putting the rebound right in the middle of the box.
#4 - he was caught off his line, and then completely fucked up the punch, putting it straight in the air.

Poor positioning and bad rebound control were on full display that night. And on other nights (such as vs LA) he's given us displays of bad control of his airspace.

Ivy
07-16-2013, 04:53 PM
Now see te highlights from this year LA, Dallas, Philly, etc. where bendik faced 15+ shots and rebounds, and show me a single goal that's his fault. Except for maybe 1 goal agains KC on Saturday, I can remember him making any mistakes IN NET (his punting is a different story).
The man should not have his spot taken until he deserves to have it taken - talk about morale deflator...

BuSaPuNk
07-16-2013, 04:58 PM
I don't think it's an argument about who should be playing. Bendik is our #1 keeper. All stop.

Frei should only get a look because there's nothing to play for. Bendik probably has played more this year then he ever has and one game off gives him a breather. It allows the defense to play infront of a completely different keeper so it's a good challenge for them. An it allows Frei to get a game in and who knows he might play off his ass attract a team willing to take him which is good for him and us. Or he plays poorly, seasons a write off anyways so what does it hurt?

Jeff s
07-16-2013, 05:02 PM
What's Bendik got to lose? Nothing.

Frei Could have a fantastic game and lose his spot..... I'm sure Bendik will be thrilled being on the bench because it would be a "nice thing" to let Frei play. That's not sending the right message.

Bendik earned his spot and should not give it up for something as silly as this. Frei will have to stick with the cup matches and friendlies OR when we're officially out of the league race.

pdogg
07-16-2013, 06:05 PM
I counted three. goals 1,2, and 4 were all directly or indirectly a result of a mistake by him.

I had a huge writeup on my thoughts on 1, 2 & 4, but we can go back and forth on fault on the goals, and it won't accomplish anything. You obviously see them differently then I, lets save the energy.

My main point in all this is I believe Frei is getting the short end of the stick. We've treated players like crap on their way out and the team's reputation is horrible. In a lost season, they could show some god damn class for once. If Bendik's confidence falls apart because Frei gets a few starts, well, I want to believe our goalie of the future could handle that.

I think every player who is watching what's going on around them would like to see a little positive light on how they might be treated if they put in as much time as Frei has.

Ajax TFC
07-16-2013, 07:17 PM
I had a huge writeup on my thoughts on 1, 2 & 4, but we can go back and forth on fault on the goals, and it won't accomplish anything. You obviously see them differently then I, lets save the energy.
There's plenty of blame to go around on all six goals, but that doesn't mean Frei wasn't also at fault for some of them. This isn't about who's fault it was for six goals going in in that game, it's about who's been more solid - Frei or Bendik. You'd be hard pressed to find three Bendik fuckups this season that resulted in goals, let alone one game. It's also not about Bendik losing confidence, it's about the fact that he's our starter, and you don't treat your starter like that. I'm pretty sure every player understands the Frei situation, and if you want to talk about sending the wrong message, how about the message of dropping a player who's playing consistently well and fought for his spot in the team when he got his chance - in favour of a more previously established player? What does that say to the players who are trying to fight for a place in the team? It says that even if they take their chance and play well, they'll lose it again to someone with a bigger rep. Fortunately for us, that's not the kind of ship Nelsen runs. If you take your chances and play well, he'll keep you in the lineup. I like that philosophy.

tfcleeds
07-16-2013, 08:29 PM
Frei Could have a fantastic game and lose his spot..... I'm sure Bendik will be thrilled being on the bench because it would be a "nice thing" to let Frei play. That's not sending the right message.

Bendik earned his spot and should not give it up for something as silly as this. Frei will have to stick with the cup matches and friendlies OR when we're officially out of the league race.

I agree, and that would be true if there was a real GK competition. But there isn't. Frei is gone. And I'll be surprised if he's still with the club at the beginning of next season. He's the longest serving player on the squad and deserves a decent send off (and it would be nice if the club gave him one instead of treating him like shit, which pretty much has been the modus operandi of this sad sack franchise up until now). A couple of starts in place of Bendik won't dismiss Bendik as the #1, and it will be a nice sendoff for a loyal servant of this club. I'm not suggesting Frei will supplant Bendik as the #1 keeper - that chance is already gone.

Pint
07-16-2013, 08:51 PM
Our season is shot and if we can't trade or move frei we should make it so his 100th appearance is our final home game of the season. Class way to go let a player leave

Ajax TFC
07-16-2013, 09:39 PM
Our season is shot and if we can't trade or move frei we should make it so his 100th appearance is our final home game of the season. Class way to go let a player leave
Knowing Frei's luck with injuries, he'll probably get injured in his 99th appearance and miss the last game.

jazzy
07-16-2013, 10:03 PM
if we're going to trade him we should have played him by now....

gate7
07-16-2013, 11:02 PM
Everyone who played that game shares blame for the game. Regardless, you don't lose 6-0 in a game as a GK. it just doesn't happen.

true maybe 5-0 if Bendik was playing?.......that game had lose written all over it the moment Nelsen got out of bed that morning..

JuliquE
07-17-2013, 03:38 AM
There's plenty of blame to go around on all six goals, but that doesn't mean Frei wasn't also at fault for some of them. This isn't about who's fault it was for six goals going in in that game, it's about who's been more solid - Frei or Bendik. You'd be hard pressed to find three Bendik fuckups this season that resulted in goals, let alone one game. It's also not about Bendik losing confidence, it's about the fact that he's our starter, and you don't treat your starter like that. I'm pretty sure every player understands the Frei situation, and if you want to talk about sending the wrong message, how about the message of dropping a player who's playing consistently well and fought for his spot in the team when he got his chance - in favour of a more previously established player? What does that say to the players who are trying to fight for a place in the team? It says that even if they take their chance and play well, they'll lose it again to someone with a bigger rep. Fortunately for us, that's not the kind of ship Nelsen runs. If you take your chances and play well, he'll keep you in the lineup. I like that philosophy.
I normally agree with you on a lot, but this sounds strange to me.

For one thing, you ask what the others of whom are fighting for a place in the side will think, when they see a previously established player take their spot on rep. alone. Yet, aside from the kids, Frei is the only one of whom can "pull rank" like that and the kids haven't even been on board for half the time Frei has. It's not like if someone of whom joined a week before you did will be a shoe in for the start every time, barring injury; you have to look at it in tiers: at some point, loyalty counts for something and after 4.5 years of commitment, I should think Frei's earned that respect. It shouldn't trump all -- not even close -- but, a morsel of gratitude for when a player has put in that kind of time will go a long way to demonstrate our class and inspire the rest to give their all for the cause.

Further, I think you're downplaying the context of where we are; the season is lost -- some would argue it was always a write-off -- and, whilst I agree that it should mean we look to gel together a nucleus of players that will be in the side for years to come, certainly, in this context, playing Frei for a couple more games that maybe his form hasn't earned him wouldn't derail that plan. I mean, we're playing three games in seven days and, whilst it's normally the case that players get rested for cup games because of the league being priority, a manager will always look for opportunities during a busy stretch in the league to rest their main guys and this would be one if ever there was. All of this context is important to underline in the chorus of those calling for Frei to see minutes, tonight.

You also say that one would be hard pressed to find three blunders by Bendik (sounds like a brand, of sorts heh), but many would argue, myself included, that his poor, poor distribution has lead to many turnovers, basically handing over possession and bracing for wave after wave of pressure.. if not in any one instance, directly, than this has been a contributing factor, indirectly affecting the result of a game, negatively, as it wears on (fatigue, etc.). Frei was no saint, but he had a few glorious moments, where he could find players and get a direct assist.. which lends to the idea that his distribution, in general, was also at least a bit better than Bendik's own (not that this should be grounds for his start, but I feel like it's a part of Bendik's game that is also being downplayed).

TFC Tifoso
07-17-2013, 06:53 AM
Okay, you have a point that his performance against LA isn't why he's currently sitting, but it's also not correct to say that he lost his spot due to injury not form. The last time he actually had a spot to lose, he lost it because of form, not injury. The reason he's currently sitting is that Bendik is our #1. The #1 almost always gets all league starts that he is capable of starting. The backup usually gets the cup games. Now there are no more cup games, and Frei didn't exactly do himself any favours there.

How about the fact that Bendik will still be here next year whereas Frei will not. why would you bench someone who's a part of the future in favour of someone who's not - especially when they've been playing well enough?

fair points, especially the bolded.....I will say this much....Frei has been an absolute professional through all this, keeping quiet.....

for me, if I were Nelsen, I'd be playing both right now to truly determine which one I want here next year.....because even though Frei is making a decent amount to sit on the bench, should Nelsen determine that he wants Bendik here permanently as a No. 1, then Bendik is no doubt going to want to be paid as a No. 1, so that "starting keeper money" will have to be dished out one way or another.......I'd say give Frei a few starts of game action in the second half now just to get another view.....you can't draw too much from one 6-0 game.....a score like that means the whole team failed big time....not 1 or 2 or 3 guys.....

brad
07-17-2013, 07:11 AM
A few general thoughts on this:

1: Want to know why Frei isn't playing?

Frei: 145k/200k (Base/Guaranteed)
Bendik: 46.5k/46.5k (Base/Guaranteed)

Bendik is doing the job for a 1/3 to 1/4 of the price. In a league as tightly capped as this, you need to save on salaries as much as you can. Especially if you are trying to build a team around DP's. I'm sure Bendik will be looking for a raise this year (and deserves one), but they won't take him to Frei's level. Sucks, but it is the nature of the league. Frei might be a bit better than Bendik, he might not be. But he would have to be head and shoulders above to warrant the difference is salary.

2: Discussing how good/bad Frei was against Montreal in the context of should he start or not is sort of pointless. He has been out for 2 years or so with injury. Gauging a completely non-match fit keepers performances is unfair and not indicative of his quality. You want to see Frei given a shot, give him a run of 8-10 consecutive games to get back into the swing of things. Accept that there are going to be points dropped along the way due to playing an unfit keeper.

3: I hope they send him off in a classy way. I like the guy, and in a perfect world, I'd rather see him as our starter, but I am a firm believer that sentimentality plays no role in running sports team. Sir Alex was one of the most cutthroat in the business - he shuffled more than a few fan favorites out the door in a fairly unceremonious way (because it was best for the club). That said, I would like to see Frei sent off with some class. I don't want to see a 100th appearance for the sake of nostalgia if there is a deal lined up that could be ruined by an injury.

4: Someone posted last page about compettion between two good goalkeepers being a good thing. I agree with that 100%. This is IMHO one of the biggest shortcomings of the MLS right now. Competition for places (in all areas of the pitch) is critical to the quality of a team. Due to the nature of the cap - MLS's teams lack any real competition for places in many positions.

TearsForCheers
07-17-2013, 09:35 AM
My view is this isn't a sentimental decision but a business one - unless there is already a deal to move Frei, they should put him in for a run of games. Everyone now knows what the club has in Bendik (i.e. a reliable starter who can win or keep us in games at a good price). Put Frei in to get him back in the minds of those in the game looking for a starting keeper, let him show his stuff so that a deal can be done. Then the club can bring Bendik back in for the long term, Frei gets a good send off from fans and an environment where he can hopefully play regularly, and we've reduced cap hit. A win all around.

pdogg
08-07-2013, 11:33 PM
It was nice to see Frei back in net tonight - too bad it was in a game that very few could see him and we were going to be well beaten in, regardless. Hoping for one more home game for him, finish out his time properly for us.

Oldtimer
08-08-2013, 08:26 AM
It was nice to see Frei back in net tonight - too bad it was in a game that very few could see him and we were going to be well beaten in, regardless. Hoping for one more home game for him, finish out his time properly for us.

I missed most of the game, how did he do?

ensco
08-08-2013, 08:27 AM
I missed most of the game, how did he do?

Same as always. Very good shot blocking. Poor positionally on balls in the air.

PopePouri
08-08-2013, 08:29 AM
Same as always. Very good shot blocking. Poor positionally on balls in the air.

Thought the same thing. Agboss didn't cover himself in glory on the second goal but it was a floater on the edge of the 6 yard box and it was punchable.

Gilberto9
08-08-2013, 12:49 PM
Do friendlies count towards the appearance count? I always thought they didn't...