PDA

View Full Version : RSL Supporters Being Given The Middle Finger From MLS

prizby
07-01-2013, 10:48 PM
http://i.imgur.com/M9Ovs14.jpg

#SupportRSLsupporters

Abou Sky
07-01-2013, 11:06 PM
I don't even know what to say to this. It is just silly.

Oh, and YES I did just advocate for a cheap family section earlier today, no reason they can't live side by side.

Live and let live. You don't have to like it, you do have to tolerate it.

Ivy
07-01-2013, 11:16 PM
The fuck...?

BuSaPuNk
07-02-2013, 07:18 AM
Biting the hand that feeds much? Wow this is the most retarded thing from the MLS. It's there supporters week and there cracking down of supporters clubs? Way to show people how its done. LoL

Fort York Redcoat
07-02-2013, 07:28 AM
I for one agree with the sentiment if not the motivation.

"You Suck.." is the barrel bottom scraping of sports analysis and a pathetic chant.

Obviously I also disagree with the official censorship.

Sidenote: @priz- You couldn't find a more sensational wording to the thread title?:wink5:g:D

Brooker
07-02-2013, 07:36 AM
How on earth do you stop hundreds of people from yelling asshole? And why would you?

It's 2013. Get over it.

ensco
07-02-2013, 07:50 AM
why would you?

It's 2013. Get over it.

I will never forget the looks on the faces of the Moms and Dads seated near the TFC support at the first TFC road game I went to (Chicago, 2007). They were truly upset. (There was a pretty funny response chant: "It's past your bedtime."). Lots of families don't go to soccer games because of the swearing. They don't like it. It scares them.

It's made acute by MLS' league wide overcharging problem. Families want/need to choose cheap seats.

Not sure I'd go this route if I were MLS but it's a legit business position for MLS to take. It's private property.

They'll run their business, supporters will do what they decide to do.

Phil
07-02-2013, 08:26 AM
They brought this up at the supporters summit in 2010. It was likened to the Carrot and Stick method. If supporters groups did things poorly, they would get the 'Stick'. If groups did things well, they would get the 'Carrot'. We laughed at them because it seemed irrational and arbitrary. They then went into the YSA chant as an example. They want it out of the game because its very audible on broadcasts and it interferes with the willingness of TV companies to show games. Getting a language complaint in the states is a big deal on a national broadcast.

Anyhow, we al joked and told them 'you cant fucking swear of fucking TV?' which in turn made them even more frustrated until the coversation degeneragted. My guess would be certain markets are more sensitive than others as its never been an issue here. Salt Lake is another story I guess. I really think its a dumb chant but it irritates me even more to see this type of heavy handed responsed by their FO and the MLS. This will be escallated to the ISC.

Canary10
07-02-2013, 08:39 AM
Isn't it "Supporters Week" this week in MLS?

Ivy
07-02-2013, 08:48 AM
Will only get worse...
Whats next? Don't call the ref a wanker?

backbeat
07-02-2013, 08:49 AM
They brought this up at the supporters summit in 2010. It was likened to the Carrot and Stick method. If supporters groups did things poorly, they would get the 'Stick'. If groups did things well, they would get the 'Carrot'. We laughed at them because it seemed irrational and arbitrary. They then went into the YSA chant as an example. They want it out of the game because its very audible on broadcasts and it interferes with the willingness of TV companies to show games. Getting a language complaint in the states is a big deal on a national broadcast.

Anyhow, we al joked and told them 'you cant fucking swear of fucking TV?' which in turn made them even more frustrated until the coversation degeneragted. My guess would be certain markets are more sensitive than others as its never been an issue here. Salt Lake is another story I guess. I really think its a dumb chant but it irritates me even more to see this type of heavy handed responsed by their FO and the MLS. This will be escallated to the ISC.

I don't see any problem with what they are doing. They've obviously spoken with the groups as you stated and nothing has happened so they have put out a formal statement outlining dates and deadlines where further action as needed will be taken.

Quite frankly I get rather tired of this idea that we're in the year 20XX and we can do or say whatever we want - the majority of parents still believe that their children shouldn't be subjected to a dumbed-down depleted vocabulary to creatively express themselves, it’s simple minded and boorish and has nothing to do with this arrogant phony attitude that it’s the soccer/football culture’ and if you don’t like too bad.

They’re a very vocal minority but a minority nonetheless and MLS/TFC is a business - there can still be a supporter culture without the vulgarity imo.

Richard
07-02-2013, 09:06 AM
What ever happend to freedom of speach? Its not even offensive, yet alone vulger. MLS should be kissing the supporters asses for all i care, with all the free marketing they get you think they would be greatfull.

BuSaPuNk
07-02-2013, 09:35 AM
If there worried about the sound coming through the broadcast isn't that up to the broadcaster to make sure they have someone to turn off the mics that are close to the supporters. They know its coming. Why couldn't they do that?

brad
07-02-2013, 09:54 AM
What ever happend to freedom of speach? Its not even offensive, yet alone vulger. MLS should be kissing the supporters asses for all i care, with all the free marketing they get you think they would be greatfull.

I'm pretty sure you give up that right when entering the stadium. There are a whole bunch of rules and regulations on the tickets/venue, and by choosing to enter the stadium you are choosing to agree to them. Would have to look at the small print to know for sure, but I suspect this is the case.

cmonyoureds
07-02-2013, 11:16 AM
Or in other words - "if you don't stop using bad words, we'll take away all the other things you do that form the basis of many of our advertising campaigns."

I'm not a fan of this chant, but really, where does the censorship stop? When MLS puts out a songbook?

bones
07-02-2013, 11:25 AM
Looks like the RSL supporters should have a sit in reading newspapers event next home game.

Richard
07-02-2013, 11:26 AM
I'm pretty sure you give up that right when entering the stadium. There are a whole bunch of rules and regulations on the tickets/venue, and by choosing to enter the stadium you are choosing to agree to them. Would have to look at the small print to know for sure, but I suspect this is the case.

The Canadian Charter would like to have a word with you. Yes I get your point, the chants not discriminating or racist though. While were at it MLS might as well tell supporters to give the opponents some milk and cookies to feel good, sheesh, whatever happened to "entering the lions den". And before you tell me,yes you can have an intimidating atmosphere without vulgar language.

Phil
07-02-2013, 11:28 AM
The Canadian Charter would like to have a word with you. Yes I get your point, the chants not discriminating or racists though. While were at it they might as well tell supporters to give the opponents some milk and cookies to feel good, sheesh, whatever happened to "enter the lions den".

There are places in the states - South Carolina I think, where they passed a law about public swearing. Its a different world down there. That much was very clear from the meeting in 2010. They don't seem to understand that the bigger this issue is blown up to be, the more outrageous the repsonse from supporters. Its like your parents forbidding something....usually it makes you entertain it.

brad
07-02-2013, 11:35 AM
The Canadian Charter would like to have a word with you. Yes I get your point, the chants not discriminating or racists though. While were at it MLS might as well tell supporters to give the opponents some milk and cookies to feel good, sheesh, whatever happened to "entering the lions den".

Does it? I'm asking legitimately here. I thought that since you are choosing to enter private property you are doing so by accepting their terms and conditions. You can chose not to enter the stadium and not abide by their rules.

TTC and Go Transit, for example, both have bylaws preventing the use of profane language - so unless they are also stepping on the Canadian charter, it seems there are allowances here.

Looking at the BMO Field code of conduct - it is there as well:

Fans enjoy an experience free from fighting, thrown objects, attempts to enter the field, political or inciting messages, and disorderly behaviour, including foul, sexist, racial, obscene or abusive language or gestures.

and

Failure to abide by this Code of Conduct is subject to sanctions, including ejection, banishment and arrest. Moreover, failure to abide by this Code of Conduct for Toronto FC matches will result in loss of Season and Partial Ticket Privileges.

I'm guessing they've had their lawyers look at it.

It's silly, especially in the given context of the chant in question, but I don't think any charters rights are being stepped on.

Richard
07-02-2013, 11:41 AM
For the RSL chant specifically you could make case its overstepping, its nothing really obscene. I agree though its well within their right to keep discrimination, racist acts etc. out. Its really very blurry though when it comes to "Freedom of speech". Its a good question though.

prizby
07-02-2013, 11:50 AM
Sidenote: @priz- You couldn't find a more sensational wording to the thread title?:wink5:g:D

at midnight, good ideas are hard to come by

prizby
07-02-2013, 11:57 AM
I really think its a dumb chant but it irritates me even more to see this type of heavy handed responsed by their FO and the MLS. This will be escallated to the ISC.

exactly how i feel

to be frank, the YSA chalnt is starting to die; et it organically die; it is a dumb chant; people realize that, but let the supporters realize it is dumb and let them eradicate it themselves; by forcing it upon supporters to get rid of it themselves, you will only meet resistance......it is almost like MLS wants to keep the chant living

and as BuSaPuNk pointed out...it is supporters week; to do that of all of the weeks, that is just poor timing and very laughable

Jack
07-02-2013, 12:39 PM
The content of the chant isn't really the issue for me as it's a pretty dumb chant. Making a threat to shut down support activity in order to control the content of the chant is the bigger issue for me. I don't really know about the freedom of speech laws coming into effect and how that works in terms of our own situation. US laws are also quite different than ours, so I'm not sure if a similar situation would arise here.

And one wonders at a society where the word "asshole" has such repercussions when we see and hear that and worse on a daily basis on TV.

Phil
07-02-2013, 12:45 PM
"If you tolerate this then your children will be next"

I just have major concerns over how the MLS is addressing this.

Jack
07-02-2013, 12:57 PM
That said, having interacted with the guys who are in charge of "supporter relations" at MLS, this is hardly suprising.

jazzy
07-02-2013, 01:06 PM
[QUOTE=Fort York Redcoat;1594640]I for one agree with the sentiment if not the motivation.

"You Suck.." is the barrel bottom scraping of sports analysis and a pathetic chant.

Obviously I also disagree with the official censorship.

^ well said...........beware the wrath of the mormons

Yagbod
07-02-2013, 01:08 PM
I think this is a 'Look, see we sent them a letter' response to soccer moms complaints. It is the sqeeky wheel getting the grease. They cannot reasonably expect it to stop because of this letter. No supporters group can stop drunken frat boys from being themselves. Most chants and songs are in Greek as far as the casual fan is concerned due to clarity lost by distance from source. Chants like YSA are easy to pick up by the casual because they are three words long. Look at our most popular chant: 'TFC, clap clap clap, TFC!'

I suspect in about 3 weeks this will be completely off the radar.

prizby
07-02-2013, 01:12 PM
I think this is a 'Look, see we sent them a letter' response to soccer moms complaints. It is the sqeeky wheel getting the grease. They cannot reasonably expect it to stop because of this letter. No supporters group can stop drunken frat boys from being themselves. Most chants and songs are in Greek as far as the casual fan is concerned due to clarity lost by distance from source. Chants like YSA are easy to pick up by the casual because they are three words long. Look at our most popular chant: 'TFC, clap clap clap, TFC!'

it is funny because most of the RSL supporters groups don't even do YSA...it is the casual, single ticket buyers

the idea of punishing the supporters for something that they cannot control is ridiculous

Phil
07-02-2013, 01:16 PM

The fact that this has come up after us all laughing it off 3 years ago concerns me. I hope its nothing, but there is a very detailed timeline and punishment outlined there.

ag futbol
07-02-2013, 01:33 PM
it is funny because most of the RSL supporters groups don't even do YSA...it is the casual, single ticket buyers

the idea of punishing the supporters for something that they cannot control is ridiculous
Agreed, and I find it funny they are working double time to be the sport that heavily sanitizes the fan experience. It's not like other leagues don't have their own foul mouth chants that are clearly audible on television.

I really don't think the league enjoys the whole supporters culture, they would much rather have something they can easily control. As they become more economically successful, I'd expect more push-back in this area.

Mark in Ottawa
07-02-2013, 04:46 PM
OMG!! What next? Making us take down our 75 Mile Bastards banner!!

I understand that some people are more easily offended than others.

I understand that many people feel the need to protect their children from what they see as unsavory elements.

I understand that MLS as a league and a set of teams do not want fans (singles or families) to feel that soccer games are an unsafe environment.

What I do not understand is the lack of common sense exhibited by the venue managers in not keeping disparate groups apart.

What I do not understand is the inability of venue managers to warn patrons that certain sections of the stadium may condone behaviours that they may find offensive and offer them the opportunity to switch to a more enjoyable vantage point.

What I do not understand is the lack of common sense from patrons who run across behaviour they deem unacceptable. If it bothers you report it to security and take your lead from them... if it is allowed ask to move to another location and use it as a learning experience for your children and a chance to explain some hard facts of life to them.

Pint
07-02-2013, 05:24 PM

I understand that many people feel the need to protect their children from what they see as unsavory elements.

I understand that MLS as a league and a set of teams do not want fans (singles or families) to feel that soccer games are an unsafe environment.

What I do not understand is the lack of common sense exhibited by the venue managers in not keeping disparate groups apart.

What I do not understand is the inability of venue managers to warn patrons that certain sections of the stadium may condone behaviours that they may find offensive and offer them the opportunity to switch to a more enjoyable vantage point.

What I do not understand is the lack of common sense from patrons who run across behaviour they deem unacceptable. If it bothers you report it to security and take your lead from them... if it is allowed ask to move to another location and use it as a learning experience for your children and a chance to explain some hard facts of life to them.

+1

It is very much on game staff to make sure people are in the section that is right for them

I'm really wondering what the fall out of this will be? Where will the line be drawn because several of the songs sang at games contain other swear words or unsavory language, will they be outlawed as well?

OgtheDim
07-02-2013, 07:41 PM
Moving people around seems something sports teams in general are loathe to do in North America. They put a premium on ensuring person with ticket a goes in seat a only, ever. Usher think.

valeo
07-02-2013, 09:26 PM
The same ridiculous heavy-handedness happens in the A-League. I think it's been proven that trying to censor supporters groups only back-fires on the club and league in the end.

nfitz
07-03-2013, 01:45 AM
This totally mystifies me. If profanity was involved, at least I could see their point.

But what word are they objecting to? Is "suck" profane? Is "asshole"?

Both seem very tame compared to what you hear pre-teens using when they pass you in the street.

cmonyoureds
07-03-2013, 11:28 AM
I take my cues from the coaches and players on the field. If it's acceptable for them to use the language, then hey, fair game for the fans.

I'm guessing no such directives have been sent to players and teams...........over to you Mr. Garber.

Blakfish
07-03-2013, 11:50 AM

100%

Phil
07-03-2013, 12:27 PM

It all has to do with TV broadcasts and language rules. The USMNT game was full of that chant apparently. Its a mess that the MLS have and being heavy handed with the supporters is not the way to go about it IMO.

Ajax TFC
07-03-2013, 12:30 PM
YSA is one of the most asinine chants and supporters should have gotten past it long ago. That said, I don't think it's really offensive, and I don't think it's the league's place to force supporters to grow up. They're the ones who support the teams financially, so they should be allowed to decide for themselves if they want to make proper, supportive chants, or if they want to embarrass themselves with immature pathetic chants like YSA.

BTW the "you're shit douche bag" that you hear at BMO isn't much different (although I do find it funnier)

ryan
07-03-2013, 09:41 PM
So they use microphones to boost supporter sound to their gain on television...and now want to control what you say.

I agree that it's dumb and OMGOSH a swear word! But to threaten the very people you exploit for your league's gain is fucking comedy.

I hate this league more and more every day. BMO field half empty allows us to hear everything these guys say, plenty worse than "asshole" during a match. Every match has this. But we're the villians cause you can't exploit us when we say bad words?

Wankers.

FluSH
07-03-2013, 09:51 PM
Am I the only old school OG who could care less about other supporter groups?! This gets a big HAHA from me... Every other supporter group,outside of TFC gets the middle finger from me.

ryan
07-03-2013, 09:58 PM
Am I the only old school OG who could care less about other supporter groups?! This gets a big HAHA from me... Every other supporter group,outside of TFC gets the middle finger from me.

You do know this is a league wide initiative tho yes? RSL just being the guinea pig to show the rest of the league's fans what to expect if you don't obey the Don.

nfitz
07-04-2013, 01:42 AM
I agree that it's dumb and OMGOSH a swear word!But when did suck become a swear word?

TFC John
07-04-2013, 07:55 AM
Heavy handed? Giving you the middle finger?

i don't know a lot about this situation but here's what I've learned from just reading this thread.

The issue was brought up in 2010 at the Supporters Summit (who knows if it was brought up privately before that). MLS expressed their displeases with some people's behavior. You don't get to decide what offends other people, you only get to decide what offends you. I am not offended by YSA but somebody is. When you are offended you can either try to ignore it or you can tell the offending party that you are offended. MLS did the mature thing and raised the issue in the appropriate forum. They promptly got told not to be offended - but that's not how it works. Being told not to be offended is kind of offensive in itself. The Supporters Groups were asked to deal with it and they were given 2 1/2 seasons to use their internal mechanisms to make the chant go away. The Supporter Groups either didn't try or they were unsuccessful. Now MLS has sent a polite letter (just because you don't like the contents doesn't mean it isn't polite) formally asking them to increase their efforts and giving a timeline and consequences. There are no vague threats and no double secret probation periods. It is all laid out clearly. If you do this, we'll do that. I don't support what MLS is doing but I have to say they are being fair about it. They raised the issue in the appropriate place with the appropriate people. They allowed the people to police themselves. They waited a reasonable amount of time to see if self policing would work. When it didn't they brought up the issue again in a more formal context and laid out a clear set of goals, a timeline and consequences. Then they gave the people another chance to correct themselves. If this is their process with every problem then I can live with it. If your response to someone who has a problem with your behavior is "fuck you" then you deserve to have your toys taken away. I hate to be defending MLS and I disagree with their position here but I support the process they are following.

I think Mark has the real solution as stated above. If someone complains in the stadium, move them to where they can't hear the chant.

The argument that a chant will die off over time holds no water for me. The last two games at BMO I've heard the "This is Our House" chant that was so popular back in 2007-08. I thought we killed that one but it keeps coming back. YSA will never die unless the Supporters Groups agree to kill it and remain vigilant. That means when some frat boy starts it up the Capo must be ready to drowned it out with something more creative.

Phil
07-04-2013, 08:17 AM
There are lots of details still being sorted out. I think it warrents further discussion with the MLS.

QBall
07-04-2013, 10:15 AM
The Canadian Charter would like to have a word with you.

According to section 32 the Charter applies to:

(a) to the Parliament and government of Canada in respect of all matters within the authority of Parliament including all matters relating to the Yukon Territory and Northwest Territories; and

(b) to the legislature and government of each province in respect of all matters within the authority of the legislature of each province.

It doesn't apply to MLSE or BMO field, so they can limit you freedom of expression however they see fit. Doesn't mean you can't fight back, just don't rely on a Charter violation suit to help.

Richard
07-04-2013, 10:22 AM
I fail to see how "you suck" is offensive. Do these people who get offended live in the real world? Surley they know kids say much worse things at a school playground.

T-boy
07-04-2013, 10:33 AM
Man, I never realised anybody chanted asshole at the end of that?! Is that a North American thing?! In England we just shout "you suck arrggghhhhhh" and usually the arrrggghhhh at the end goes on forever and ever (parts of the crowd try and outdo others by making it the longest arrgggghhhhhh (like a pirate) you can imagine). At Oxford it usually goes on for 30 seconds or longer, a minute if the goally truly does suck or the kick goes out of play or he slips over or something.

I'm not sure how these years old English chants change so much while coming over the Ocean?! It's certainly not offensive in England and nobody has a problem with that. I mean, there's not even a swearword in the English version, so why would anybody ever be offended?! When I originally looked at this thread I was wondering if it was a joke, otherwise its censorship gone completely wrong if you can't chant "argghhhhh" anymore!

TOBOR !
07-04-2013, 10:48 AM
The same ridiculous heavy-handedness happens in the A-League. I think it's been proven that trying to censor supporters groups only back-fires on the club and league in the end.

Folk in suits and ties who regard the game from on high don't understand the organic nature of the game. Everything about it can be summed up by Herberger's famous quote "The ball is round...".

By and large the best route to success is to leave the thing alone - let things develop of their own accord. This is how the game got to be where it is in a global capacity. You can bet that if a bunch of brits had planned this game for world domination they'd've not got anywhere and the sport might even now be confined to but a handful of countries. Once you start trying to force things to happen, things go wrong.

If these clubs and leagues continue to try and force their own idea of the game onto the people who go to the game, they'll only succeed in pushing them away.

Best to just leave things to sort themselves out.

FluSH
07-04-2013, 09:35 PM
You do know this is a league wide initiative tho yes? RSL just being the guinea pig to show the rest of the league's fans what to expect if you don't obey the Don.

I didn't know it was a league wide thing... But if they don't want is to swear well... There are more chants with no swearing invovled

Ivy
07-04-2013, 09:49 PM
The Canadian Charter would like to have a word with you. Yes I get your point, the chants not discriminating or racist though. While were at it MLS might as well tell supporters to give the opponents some milk and cookies to feel good, sheesh, whatever happened to "entering the lions den". And before you tell me,yes you can have an intimidating atmosphere without vulgar language.
The Charter applies between Government and citizen. For civil disputes you want to look at the Human Rights Code. They can say that only Real Madrid jerseys are allowed, and you couldn't do a damn thing about it. As long as they are not discriminating on the 17 grounds, they can tell you to walk around with a thumb up your ***. It's up to you if you want to go there or not.

tfcleeds
07-04-2013, 10:18 PM
I just started reading this thread now - I think my feelings can be pretty much summed up by this:

:picard:

FluSH
07-04-2013, 10:21 PM
instead of people focusing on a lame YSA chant and the right to swear, we should focus on something like this:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TE6GeM6DqAk

BuSaPuNk
07-04-2013, 10:24 PM
^ yep that sounds good lets do it!!!

Yagbod
07-05-2013, 02:18 AM
instead of people focusing on a lame YSA chant and the right to swear, we should focus on something like this:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TE6GeM6DqAk

Great song, great stadium AND they have a Che Guevara flag in the middle!

I dream that we sound like that one day.

brad
07-05-2013, 07:14 AM
I haven't been able to make it to either Montreal game this year - but is "Tik Tack Tabernac..." still being used? If so, I wonder what the reaction in this thread would be if it was a letter to us about that chant? It's not about the fact that it is some lame chant getting (YSA) stomped out, it's about the fact that the league is censoring/sanitizing supporters.

But it doesn't surprise me one bit. US networks are *very* uptight about language (even stuff that most of us don't deem obscene), and TV rights are where the money is. Do the math...

Oldtimer
07-05-2013, 07:37 AM
I haven't been able to make it to either Montreal game this year - but is "Tik Tack Tabernac..." still being used? If so, I wonder what the reaction in this thread would be if it was a letter to us about that chant? It's not about the fact that it is some lame chant getting (YSA) stomped out, it's about the fact that the league is censoring/sanitizing supporters.

But it doesn't surprise me one bit. US networks are *very* uptight about language (even stuff that most of us don't deem obscene), and TV rights are where the money is. Do the math...

Americans don't speak French for the most part, so I doubt Tik Tak will be sanctioned any time soon.

I actually hate the YSA chant... it's unimaginative, crude, and doesn't work against 'keepers as they have heard it so many times...

tfcleeds
07-05-2013, 09:09 AM
But it doesn't surprise me one bit. US networks are *very* uptight about language (even stuff that most of us don't deem obscene), and TV rights are where the money is. Do the math...That may be, but that doesn't prevent entire stadiums/arenas from chanting "Bulls--t" in MLB, NHL, NFL, whatever, when the referee makes a perceived bad call (which often can quite clearly be heard on TV). What are they going to do in those cases? The thing that bothers me is this attempt to "sanitize" the atmosphere in MLS stadiums - not that I think swearing necessarily enhances the experience. Let's face it - we were partly responsible for the renaissance, if you will, of MLS, in large part because we helped to introduce a real supporters culture (along with Barra Brava, etc, don't want to take all the credit here). This is just one example of an attack on supporters culture that has been fostered in recent years that has helped in part to propel the league forward. If MLS wants to go back to playing in front of sparse crowds of soccer moms, I guess they can continue down this path.

cmonyoureds
07-09-2013, 10:38 AM
I didn't know it was a league wide thing... But if they don't want is to swear well... There are more chants with no swearing invovled

SI.com reporter today says NYRB have a cash incentive to supporter groups for good behaviour. $500 each game with no strongly worded chants. Gotta go 4 games to get a $2000 payout towards whatever the groups decide.

Also says 4 teams actively involved in trying to eradicate YSA and others.

ChrisFizik
07-09-2013, 11:12 AM
just saw this doing the rounds down NYC way, laughed

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2013/07/red_bulls_pay_fans_not_chant_asshole.php

ryan
07-09-2013, 11:32 AM
Heavy handed? Giving you the middle finger?

i don't know a lot about this situation but here's what I've learned from just reading this thread.

The issue was brought up in 2010 at the Supporters Summit (who knows if it was brought up privately before that). MLS expressed their displeases with some people's behavior. You don't get to decide what offends other people, you only get to decide what offends you. I am not offended by YSA but somebody is. When you are offended you can either try to ignore it or you can tell the offending party that you are offended. MLS did the mature thing and raised the issue in the appropriate forum. They promptly got told not to be offended - but that's not how it works. Being told not to be offended is kind of offensive in itself. The Supporters Groups were asked to deal with it and they were given 2 1/2 seasons to use their internal mechanisms to make the chant go away. The Supporter Groups either didn't try or they were unsuccessful. Now MLS has sent a polite letter (just because you don't like the contents doesn't mean it isn't polite) formally asking them to increase their efforts and giving a timeline and consequences. There are no vague threats and no double secret probation periods. It is all laid out clearly. If you do this, we'll do that. I don't support what MLS is doing but I have to say they are being fair about it. They raised the issue in the appropriate place with the appropriate people. They allowed the people to police themselves. They waited a reasonable amount of time to see if self policing would work. When it didn't they brought up the issue again in a more formal context and laid out a clear set of goals, a timeline and consequences. Then they gave the people another chance to correct themselves. If this is their process with every problem then I can live with it. If your response to someone who has a problem with your behavior is "fuck you" then you deserve to have your toys taken away. I hate to be defending MLS and I disagree with their position here but I support the process they are following.

I think Mark has the real solution as stated above. If someone complains in the stadium, move them to where they can't hear the chant.

The argument that a chant will die off over time holds no water for me. The last two games at BMO I've heard the "This is Our House" chant that was so popular back in 2007-08. I thought we killed that one but it keeps coming back. YSA will never die unless the Supporters Groups agree to kill it and remain vigilant. That means when some frat boy starts it up the Capo must be ready to drowned it out with something more creative.

I don't believe this has anything to do with fans in the stands, but TV advertisers complaining they won't market on MLS matches with their microphones picking up our swear words. Again, they want to use us to sell, so we have to say what they want us to say.

Yes, swearing is offensive to people and I don't disagree. But I don't like being an MLS tool, and used as they command me to. That I take huge issue with. If they don't want swear words on TV, put your bloody "fan" microphones at centre half where in many stadiums, it's empty.

Phil
07-11-2013, 12:20 PM
RSL is going to be having a meeting with their supporters mid month regarding thiis issue. Its safe to say this approach has upset a few people there.

I will have updates when available.

BuSaPuNk
07-11-2013, 12:38 PM
^ Thanks for keeping us in the loop

bones
07-11-2013, 12:45 PM
NYRB supporters just got one too. Trying to find link...

OgtheDim
07-11-2013, 12:54 PM
We could always shout "Pootow" or whatever it was the Mexican and Central American teams shouted when our keeper punted one out.

Phil
07-11-2013, 12:56 PM
I think NYRB guys got a cassh incentive for each game they don't do it.

It silly to see this much variance in approach by clubs and the MLS IMO.

Phil
07-11-2013, 12:57 PM
We could always shout "Pootow" or whatever it was the Mexican and Central American teams shouted when our keeper punted one out.
I think its Puto.

Apparently they don't like that either. We can all see the slippery slope here can't we?

TFC nor the MLS have approached us on any language in the stands to this point (aside from the supporters summit in 2010).

FreekAce
07-11-2013, 01:20 PM
I think its Puto.

Apparently they don't like that either. We can all see the slippery slope here can't we?

TFC nor the MLS have approached us on any language in the stands to this point (aside from the supporters summit in 2010).

we also have signs in our sections telling people what to expect while standing there and that they can approach staff to sit elsewhere if its not to their liking.

hardly rocket science that, yet very effective. as for tv mics picking it up, i think someone already mentioned putting those elsewhere.

Ajax TFC
07-11-2013, 01:25 PM
Well if there ever happens to be a fat goalie playing against us, we can always do this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_foEjKBxvJA

tfcleeds
07-11-2013, 10:06 PM
NYRB supporters just got one too. Trying to find link...

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/dish/201307/mls-team-will-pay-fans-drop-hateful-chant