PDA

View Full Version : TFC v Roma at BMO Aug 7, 2013

Pages : [1] 2 3

Leedsoronto
06-25-2013, 06:51 AM
CSN has confirmed what has been widely reported tonight: Toronto FC is playing Roma in a friendly Wens, Aug 7 at BMO Field.

http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/content.php?4696-TFC-v-Roma

Ivy
06-25-2013, 07:07 AM
Argh. As long as its a reserve match, I don't give 2 shits.

MartinUtd
06-25-2013, 07:10 AM
meh.

ensco
06-25-2013, 07:10 AM
Will they have a designated section for the Lazio supporters?

Fort York Redcoat
06-25-2013, 07:13 AM
Step one done. There IS going to be a friendly at BMO.

Now what will it cost???

Haddy
06-25-2013, 07:24 AM
On my birthday no less! What are the chances I get a free ticket???

...I can hear you all laughing now.

pdogg
06-25-2013, 07:34 AM

If you don't ask, you don't get - when I was travelling through California, I got free tickets and gear (shirts/caps/jerseys) from the Padres, Giants and Dodgers. I e-mailed all the PR people and let them know I was passing through and they set me up. There is stuff like this set aside all the time.

Oldtimer
06-25-2013, 07:36 AM
Smarter move marketing-wise than Penarol. Lots of Roma fans in Toronto.

Fort York Redcoat
06-25-2013, 07:44 AM

If they give them to Season Ticket Holders for free the chances you getting one for free are astronomically good.

Haddy
06-25-2013, 07:47 AM
If you don't ask, you don't get - when I was travelling through California, I got free tickets and gear (shirts/caps/jerseys) from the Padres, Giants and Dodgers. I e-mailed all the PR people and let them know I was passing through and they set me up. There is stuff like this set aside all the time.

Only wish I had that idea when we saw Real Madrid on my b-day a few years back!

Jack
06-25-2013, 07:54 AM
Meh. Another mid-season cash-grab friendly.

Leedsoronto
06-25-2013, 07:58 AM
Smarter move marketing-wise than Penarol. Lots of Roma fans in Toronto.

Agreed, this will easy get a bigger crowd than the following MLS game. The Italians I have spoken too already are feeling pretty chuffed at this moment. :@)

WestStandGeoff
06-25-2013, 08:13 AM

Underneath the urinals in the washrooms?

ManUtd4ever
06-25-2013, 08:18 AM
When are we going to get a "huge announcement" that actually benefits the competitiveness of our team? A player or two who can actually make us better? Another mid-season cash-grab friendly? So far with the new regime, the more things change, the more they stay the same.This.

bones
06-25-2013, 08:24 AM
I'm surprised that Belgers isn't trying to push this shit into the SkyDome. Looking at the Jays schedule it fits well.

Wed, 8/7
at Mariners (http://mlb.mlb.com/schedule/sortable.jsp?c_id=sea)
3:40p
SNET-1, MLB.TV (http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/subscriptions/index.jsp?affiliateId=sortschedule&c_id=tor)

Fri, 8/9
Athletics (http://mlb.mlb.com/schedule/sortable.jsp?c_id=oak)
7:07p
SNET-1, MLB.TV (http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/subscriptions/index.jsp?affiliateId=sortschedule&c_id=tor)

tfcleeds
06-25-2013, 08:28 AM
If it's absolutely necessary to have another one of these cash-grab friendlies, why couldn't they have scheduled it for a bye week (assuming we have one left, I haven't looked at the schedule)?

TOBOR !
06-25-2013, 08:31 AM
I had to look up where Roma was...

BuSaPuNk
06-25-2013, 08:33 AM
Completely agree with Jack's statement. This is just more mismanagement and bullshit money grabbing from our FO. Unfortunately the new regime that is here doesn't trump the guys making these decisions like Berine ect. Those guys are still here.

I almost hope that this has nothing to do with Leiweike and co. If it does then Jacks statement is right. We're right back where we were.

I hope this is a complete and utter failure and the building is either empty or full of Roma fans. Look good on them lets have an away game at home. Wonder how the lads on te squad feel about playing at home with a crowd full of away support?

Rediculous.

BuSaPuNk
06-25-2013, 08:34 AM
It's bad enough that we have another cash-grab friendly. I just don't know why they couldn't have scheduled it for a bye week (assuming we have one left, I haven't looked at the schedule).

No bye week we play Sunday on the road in New England then at home Saturday against Seattle.

This is what frustrates me the most. A meaningless friendly stuck in the middle of a 2 games in 6 nights.

tfcleeds
06-25-2013, 08:37 AM
^Hopefully will trot out some academy players then.

Ajax TFC
06-25-2013, 08:39 AM
Which is exactly why there is a near 0% chance that they would be giving free tickets to SSHs. You don't pay a big team to play you just to reward your customers. Well maybe a more fan oriented team would to build a stronger bond with their supporters, but MLSE isn't going to spend that kind of money to do that.

Phil
06-25-2013, 08:44 AM
I think there is a charge for these tickets. Which also means we can opt out.

Playing another game doesn't cheese me off so much, its just a matter of keeping the squad healthy. Play the reserves and academy guys. I am sure a couple players would love the chance to play a club like this but limit their time and rest everyone you can. I don't want another O'Brien incident.

v00d00daddy
06-25-2013, 08:51 AM
It's a huge announcement. We'll be hosting one of the biggest teams from one of the biggest leagues in the world. They're good enough to be the MLS All-star guest so I think they're big enough to play us.

That said they aren't big enough to sell out BMO. Not even close. That has nothing to do with their level or status but more about us as a football city. There are precious few of us who are avoiding this game simply because it's a friendly. Most will be avoiding it because it doesn't warrant a big enough match up.

Benfica (18,370)
Aston Villa (20,147)
Pachuca (18,097)
Indipendiente (18,741)
River Plate (20,005)
Real Madrid (22,089)
Bolton (19,507)
Liverpool (33,807 at Rogers Centre)

Those weren't bad attendances. I know that's probably papered but still.

Maybe you're right about our level as a football city. Or maybe it's who the powers that be cater to in this city that make it what it is.

One thing is for sure. If people can sit through matches with team like Villa and Bolton, they sure as hell can buck up and sit through a game with Roma.

As for me, I won't be going because it's a case of too little too late.

Fort York Redcoat
06-25-2013, 08:52 AM

http://i846.photobucket.com/albums/ab22/micky_vey/3749-i-see-what-you-did-there-no-text.png

And please, now that you've announced the game, feel free to charge as much as you want from Roma fans.

bones
I think there is a charge for these tickets. Which also means we can opt out.

Playing another game doesn't cheese me off so much, its just a matter of keeping the squad healthy. Play the reserves and academy guys. I am sure a couple players would love the chance to play a club like this but limit their time and rest everyone you can. I don't want another O'Brien incident.

AAAAh yes "opt out" except for that little thing ML$E did when they were taking orders for season tickets. There were 2 options. 1) just pay for TFC games and 2) pay for TFC and all other games and get a discount on the CCL "extra" games. Remember? I wonder if those that took the "discounted" package will get smoked by a retarded price for this shit? {yes I keep calling it shit because that's what it is, we're not completely out of the playoff race and to shoehorn in a *&%@#! cash grab game in a busy week is complete SHIT!}

Stress
gotta pay off that Laba fee somehow

Fort York Redcoat
06-25-2013, 08:55 AM
Benfica (18,370)
Aston Villa (20,147)
Pachuca (18,097)
Indipendiente (18,741)
River Plate (20,005)
Real Madrid (22,089)
Bolton (19,507)

Maybe you're right about our level as a football city. Or maybe it's who the powers that be cater to in this city that make it what it is.

Nice research! :thumbsup:. That would be a good football story if it translated to a sold out BMO. Unfortunately it does not.

Canary10
It'll sell out no problem. Why would anyone think it wont'?

v00d00daddy
I hope this is a complete and utter failure and the building is either empty or full of Roma fans. Look good on them lets have an away game at home. Wonder how the lads on te squad feel about playing at home with a crowd full of away support?

Rediculous.

Did you see the crowd at Rogers Centre for Liverpool last year?

And the guys on the team (most of them I'd assume) love playing against this level of competition. For the young guys it's a glimpse of what it takes for them to achieve their goals. What kind of player they need to become.

Could they do without it? Sure. But it's never stopped MLSE from doing it before. Why do we expect them to stop now? LOL

Fort York Redcoat
06-25-2013, 08:56 AM
Did you see the crowd at Rogers Centre for Liverpool last year?

And the guys on the team (most of them I'd assume) love playing against this level of competition. For the young guys it's a glimpse of what it takes for them to achieve their goals. What kind of player they need to become.

Could they do without it? Sure. But it's never stopped MLSE from doing it before. Why do we expect them to stop now? LOL

Not expect. Hope.

v00d00daddy
06-25-2013, 08:57 AM
Nice research! :thumbsup:. That would be a good football story if it translated to a sold out BMO. Unfortunately it does not.

How can I predict a sold out BMO for this years game? I just grabbed the past numbers to show you that the attendance wasn't terrible, and in fact, close to sell outs for all of them.

Why would this Roma game be different?

Fort York Redcoat
06-25-2013, 09:07 AM
For regular season games. I know we're talking about this friendly. My bad. If it sells out I don't give 2 shits. No I do. It'll piss me off next real home game.

nonc
06-25-2013, 09:20 AM
When are we going to get a "huge announcement" that actually benefits the competitiveness of our team? A player or two who can actually make us better? Another mid-season cash-grab friendly? So far with the new regime, the more things change, the more they stay the same.

Completely agree with Jack's statement. This is just more mismanagement and bullshit money grabbing from our FO. Unfortunately the new regime that is here doesn't trump the guys making these decisions like Berine ect. Those guys are still here.

I almost hope that this has nothing to do with Leiweike and co. If it does then Jacks statement is right. We're right back where we were.

Rediculous.

This is the kind of stuff I can't help but laugh at, the fact that people think our new regime is degenerating based on an irrelevant friendly, which will feature a lot of non first team players. Clubs across MLS play friendlies, how in the hell does this negatively affect building a competitive team? Never seen such grasping at straws and whinging in all my life. You'd think you'd have more of an idea where things were going based on signing the first youngDP ever...but oh no a friendly is definitely sending this club back years!!

Muppets.

Phil
06-25-2013, 09:22 AM
AAAAh yes "opt out" except for that little thing ML$E did when they were taking orders for season tickets. There were 2 options. 1) just pay for TFC games and 2) pay for TFC and all other games and get a discount on the CCL "extra" games. Remember? I wonder if those that took the "discounted" package will get smoked by a retarded price for this shit? {yes I keep calling it shit because that's what it is, we're not completely out of the playoff race and to shoehorn in a *&%@#! cash grab game in a busy week is complete SHIT!}

I think the opt in option was for CCL games. I would be a bit surprised if they lumped an overpriced friendly into it. The nature of the venue for annoucing it lends me to think its more about attracting the Roma fans than SSH. I could be wrong though, best to talk to your ticket rep when they actually annouce the game.

tfcleeds
06-25-2013, 09:23 AM
I imagine it will come close to being a sellout, but in the end, it won't be. Juventus-Fiorentina barely drew 20,000 to the Rogers Centre. And Serie A fans are just as knowledgeable of the "value" of friendlies as anyone else - they know they'll be seeing mostly reserve players.

Canary10
06-25-2013, 09:25 AM
For regular season games. I know we're talking about this friendly. My bad. If it sells out I don't give 2 shits. No I do. It'll piss me off next real home game.

I think you and I had a conversation in another thread a while back about people living in the GTA who are big football fans, but will never go to a TFC game because of the perceived shittiness of MLS football. Those are who this game appeals to. And you're probably right, 95% of them won't come back to fill the stands at an MLS home game. Maybe if the club goes all out to make sure they enjoy themselves, we might get 5% who do come back. That's probably the best this could do.

bones
06-25-2013, 09:27 AM
I think the opt in option was for CCL games. I would be a bit surprised if they lumped an overpriced friendly into it. The nature of the venue for annoucing it lends me to think its more about attracting the Roma fans than SSH. I could be wrong though, best to talk to your ticket rep when they actually annouce the game.

Email was already sent when I saw this and just now I received a confirmation email from a sales rep that this game will NOT be forced into the "opt in" people. THANK GOD!

Canary10
06-25-2013, 09:27 AM
I imagine it will come close to being a sellout, but in the end, it won't be. Juventus-Fiorentina barely drew 20,000 to the Rogers Centre. And Serie A fans are just as knowledgeable of the "value" of friendlies as anyone else - they know they'll be seeing mostly reserve players.

The timing of this match means there'll be a lot of starters playing at least a good portion of the game. August 7 is getting really close to the start of the season. They'll be wanting to get players close to game shape at that point.

forzatoronto
06-25-2013, 09:35 AM
Sigh. I'll be going because I want to get a look at Roma before the new season and see if they're still the same anemic, un-balanced team they were under Luis Enrique and Zdenek Zeman (and probably cackle at the horrible new crest their American owners have designed for them), but this is the usual ill-timed mid-season friendly that doesn't really serve any purpose for the team. At the very least, it's comforting that this season it can't really hurt our playoff chances, seeing as those are practically out the window already.

Anyway, as someone said, August 7th is close enough to the start of the season that a lot of the starters might be playing. It would be nice to see Totti, Danielino and Perrotta anyway, Roma's World Cup winners...

BuSaPuNk
06-25-2013, 09:42 AM
This is the kind of stuff I can't help but laugh at, the fact that people think our new regime is degenerating based on an irrelevant friendly, which will feature a lot of non first team players. Clubs across MLS play friendlies, how in the hell does this negatively affect building a competitive team? Never seen such grasping at straws and whinging in all my life. You'd think you'd have more of an idea where things were going based on signing the first youngDP ever...but oh no a friendly is definitely sending this club back years!!

Muppets.

3 games in 7 days. Doesn't matter how many academy kids they call up there will be a deal with Roma that we will play some of our starters for a required amount of time. Goes the same way with them. The longer Caldwell, O'Dea, Koevs, ect play the worse off we are. More time for injuries to happen and for the squad to be tired going into a home game on the Saturday.

If you want to shell out the $ for this by all means. I will not be and never will for meaningless friendlies unless there scheduled properly not during a two games in 6 days in the leauge as well as 4 of our players coming back from Gold Cup duty at the same time.

And one young DP signing does not create a platform for success. Look at DC.

tfcleeds
06-25-2013, 09:43 AM
Serie A season starts on August 24, so yeah, chances are quite a few first-team players will be getting an extended runout. Still don't think it's gonna be a sellout though. 18-19K perhaps, at the most.

Jack
06-25-2013, 09:43 AM

Muppets.

We've had several DPs come through the club so far and none of them has actually impressed. Laba has been decent so far, for sure. As for mid-season friendlies crammed in the middle of a week with two tough competitive matches, I'd rather we not have them and this is certainly not my idea of a HUGE ANNOUNCEMENT. I don't think the new regime is "degenerating" as they haven't accomplished anything from which to degenerate in the first place.

Also, you can make your point without throwing out insults. It will end up getting you banned.

Justin10000
06-25-2013, 09:45 AM
I can't be fussed by a friendly tbh. My only gripe is that it could have been held a week earlier. Other than that, I might go if the price is reasonable. There is no reason why TFC can't play a game during the week.

tfcleeds
06-25-2013, 09:54 AM
Just an aside, but speaking of "big announcements", I remember one time the official Leeds United website had fans in a tizzy as they announced that a "major signing" was imminent. This went on for a couple of days, and it turned out in the end that the "signing" was none other than a new PR director - a big name in his field, sure, but not what the fans were hoping for! So ever since then, I've learned to treat such things with much skepticism! When I saw it was TFC TV with Rachel, I knew the "big announcement" was going to be the friendly. Big player signings wouldn't be announced through those channels anyway.

Leedsoronto
06-25-2013, 10:00 AM
Maybe Totti will defect to Toronto?

Oops my alarm just gone off, time to wake up :@)

Yagbod
06-25-2013, 10:15 AM
I'm just glad we have something new to bitch about. It was getting a bit stale for awhile... :)

Canary10
06-25-2013, 10:16 AM
I'm just glad we have something new to bitch about. It was getting a bit stale for awhile... :)

Yeah, I was going to say the same thing.

(It could be a lot worse. Columbus is playing Wigan after all).

Ultra & Proud
06-25-2013, 10:22 AM

Never stopped most teams from doing it before, or again. Lots of playoff bound MLS teams play mid-season friendlies and quite a few European ones play friendlies/testimonials towards the end of their seasons. I bet if you asked our squad if they wanted to play this match the majority would say yes. More interesting than scrimmaging at the training ground where you can also get injured easily and a chance for the reserves and Academy guys to play some good competition on a stage better than an empty post-TFC match BMO or at the Kia Training Grounds.

Should this cost an assload of cash like RM or even what Liverpool cost? No but it probably will be similar to Liverpool pricing. I'm not going anyway but I don't get the whole rally against mid-season friendlies because it's been a part of the MLS set up for years, not just for us either but also for playoff bound teams, and it'll be part of the future too. I think there are more important things to worry about in a season like this than playing a mid week match that starters at most will play 45 minutes in.

TFCAURORA
06-25-2013, 10:36 AM
So is this the HUGE ANNOUNCEMENT????

prizby
06-25-2013, 10:48 AM
Benfica (18,370)
Aston Villa (20,147)
Pachuca (18,097)
Indipendiente (18,741)
River Plate (20,005)
Real Madrid (22,089)
Bolton (19,507)

One thing is for sure. If people can sit through matches with team like Villa and Bolton, they sure as hell can buck up and sit through a game with Roma.

As for me, I won't be going because it's a case of too little too late.

only the RM and Liverpool game were not part of the season ticket package

Phil
06-25-2013, 10:48 AM
So is this the HUGE ANNOUNCEMENT????

Actually, it was 'special announcement'.

Just pointing out fact as the fiction takes on a life of its own around here.

ProfessorDamage
06-25-2013, 10:58 AM
Roma? Yawn.

Even if it's free I'll skip it since it's a Wednesday game.

Super
06-25-2013, 11:28 AM
Meh, it's the usual friendly for our summer. I'm not personally interested, but maybe it'll introduce TFC to new fans. I'm not too concerned. I liked how we played our B-squad for most of the Liverpool game. That makes perfect sense. Let's do that again - give the bench guys a shot at some playing time.

Technorgasm
06-25-2013, 11:31 AM

Fuck Ensco, you always beat me to it!

Remember when those AMAZING Boca fans joined us in 112 for the River Plate Friendly?
thats dedication to your hate right there.
impressive.

Forza TFC

TFC1154ever
06-25-2013, 11:40 AM
Underneath the urinals in the washrooms?

A little angry that you have completely dominated by Lazio the last 3 years? I'm excited to watch the circus which is AS Merda.

cmonyoureds
06-25-2013, 11:44 AM
At least if TFC win we'll be able to fill a few hundred pages discussing if the "fix was in". :hide:

nascarguy
06-25-2013, 11:46 AM
I think the ticket was a part of the season ticket pack if so I'm going to sell my ticket if we play athere game in the skydome in the summer there will be hell to pay

WestStandGeoff
06-25-2013, 11:50 AM
A little angry that you have completely dominated by Lazio the last 3 years? I'm excited to watch the circus which is AS Merda.

Huh? Angry about what now?

I'm not a Roma fan, I really don't even follow Serie A. But one thing I'm certainly not a fan of are fascists.

Canary10
06-25-2013, 11:54 AM
I think the ticket was a part of the season ticket pack if so I'm going to sell my ticket if we play athere game in the skydome in the summer there will be hell to pay

It wasn't part of the season ticket package.

BuSaPuNk
06-25-2013, 11:56 AM

I'm not a Roma fan, I really don't even follow Serie A. But one thing I'm certainly not a fan of are fascists.

+1 big problem with that. Lets being a club who's FO turns a blind eye to fascist and racist things happening. Deplorable

T-boy
06-25-2013, 12:14 PM
Which is exactly why there is a near 0% chance that they would be giving free tickets to SSHs. You don't pay a big team to play you just to reward your customers. Well maybe a more fan oriented team would to build a stronger bond with their supporters, but MLSE isn't going to spend that kind of money to do that.

I actually fully expect this game to be free for all SSH's. Why else would it be worthy of a "huge announcement" status? If its free, then its ok. I still probably wont' go though, I'm not a fan of friendly games at all.

Phil
06-25-2013, 12:19 PM

Its not part of your SSH pack. You will have to buy it seperatly if you want it. This has been confirmed by bones in this thread.

Yagbod
06-25-2013, 12:19 PM
The mere suggestion that it would be free is ridiculous.

The only scenario that I could see it being free is if it was an early SSH renewal program and even then I very much doubt it.

Whoop
06-25-2013, 12:23 PM
Touching on Tobor's point, who's on Roma other than Totti and Bradley?

And as for voodoo's attendance figures, a number of those games were included in the season ticket holders package, so it inflated the numbers.

The exceptions being Real Madrid and Liverpool of course. Don't think Roma has the same pull as those two.

Unless the tickets are cheap, I'm going to say paid attendance will be less than 10,000 at which point TFC will be giving away tickets like man to get it to 15,000 somehow.

T-boy
06-25-2013, 12:27 PM
The mere suggestion that it would be free is ridiculous.

The only scenario that I could see it being free is if it was an early SSH renewal program and even then I very much doubt it.

Don't you mean - the suggestion is ridiculous in the context that its MLSE, right?

The the rest of the business world, it would make entire sense to give this game away as a freeby to "loyal fans" to keep people interested in a season where we aren't going to win many games. That would be a nice bonus to us fans.

If MLSE had any business sense at all other than earning money in the short term, this game would be free for SSH's.

Phil
06-25-2013, 12:30 PM
^^^ I don't think the majority of SSH's would show up, even if free.

So in that way, I get selling it to the target atraction group and hopefully they would think about going to a TFC game.

Either way, its not a very attractive game for supporters. Its best for them to just leave it all alone but with all the management changes at MLSE I don't think they will.

TFC07
06-25-2013, 12:35 PM
I will only go if the tickets are super cheap or better yet free (hopefully they give it out free if they can't sell more 10K seats).

TFC1154ever
06-25-2013, 12:38 PM

Hahaha, same old shit. You must have some blinders on to think Lazio is the only team with Fascist/Racist fans in Italy, none the less Europe. Lazio is the easy scape goat. Do some research of the Curva Nord and you would find out that only a few of supporters are the ones who are making asses out of themselfs. To label the club fascist is retarded.

Derko
06-25-2013, 12:54 PM
This whole thread just oozes resentment between our own supporters, I not a big fan of friendlies, why does there have to be that us (not big fans of Serie A) versus them ( fans of Serie A) mentality, wow!!

It goes to reason, as usual for touring Serie A teams, they will not be fielding the big guns, or very few. so why get sucked into that. Really Cheap, or free, might go, but it will cost me more because a few beers, parking, a bite to eat.

OgtheDim
06-25-2013, 12:57 PM

I'm told it has something to do with tomatoes.

Yagbod
06-25-2013, 12:59 PM
Don't you mean - the suggestion is ridiculous in the context that its MLSE, right?

The the rest of the business world, it would make entire sense to give this game away as a freeby to "loyal fans" to keep people interested in a season where we aren't going to win many games. That would be a nice bonus to us fans.

If MLSE had any business sense at all other than earning money in the short term, this game would be free for SSH's.

Both I think. Given how much we pay I do not see this sort of loss being incurred in the face of potential profit by any company. Generally those 'freebies' for clients are for higher paying clients or they are giving away something they have extras of or they offset the cost through massive advertising, etc.

I honestly can't see any company paying a team like Roma to come in and then just eating the cost as a good will gesture to people who give them between $190 and $2k a year.

Throw in the fact that this is MLSE and yup, forget about it.

Canary10
06-25-2013, 01:02 PM
This whole thread just oozes resentment between our own supporters, I not a big fan of friendlies, why does there have to be that us (not big fans of Serie A) versus them ( fans of Serie A) mentality, wow!!

It goes to reason, as usual for touring Serie A teams, they will not be fielding the big guns, or very few. so why get sucked into that. Really Cheap, or free, might go, but it will cost me more because a few beers, parking, a bite to eat.

I don't know why people think they won't field a strong team. Their season will be three weeks away at that point. These games have a use for them. They'll be wanting their starters to be match fit.

I went to see Spurs in New York last year less than a month before their season started, and they played every starter who didn't have an injury. Bale, for example, played about 85 minutes. And they had just had a game against Chelsea three or four days prior. Roma will be in the same place.

Canary10
06-25-2013, 01:06 PM
Both I think. Given how much we pay I do not see this sort of loss being incurred in the face of potential profit by any company. Generally those 'freebies' for clients are for higher paying clients or they are giving away something they have extras of or they offset the cost through massive advertising, etc.

I honestly can't see any company paying a team like Roma to come in and then just eating the cost as a good will gesture to people who give them between $190 and $2k a year.

Throw in the fact that this is MLSE and yup, forget about it.

What they could do for SSH is give some kind of meet and greet/autograph access to Roma's players. That would be a great inducement for anyone who is a fan of the club/Italian football.

ag futbol
06-25-2013, 01:15 PM
^ If we remember back to the pre-season tour real madrid did in north america, multiple MLS teams gave away those tickets to SSH's while TFC had their SSH's pay.

Giving away those tickets is about goodwill, something MLSE doesn't seem to quite comprehend as it's always about immediately taking the most money out of the consumers pocket at the earliest time. The alternative model is you give somebody a benefit, like a free game, and that's supposed to increase their chances of spending money with you in the future. So in the long run, you actually make more money. Perhaps that's something they could run through their heads currently, since as far as I can tell, they have even more SSH's who are ready to walk away from this team and the end of the year.

BuSaPuNk
06-25-2013, 01:37 PM
^ I'm sure of that. There's going to be a bigger exodus this year then last year. If they showed some commitment to turning this club around it might slow it down. But at the present moment it seems to be status quo compared to years past. The transfer window is going to show us all the direction of this team going forward.

Phil
06-25-2013, 01:42 PM
^ If we remember back to the pre-season tour real madrid did in north america, multiple MLS teams gave away those tickets to SSH's while TFC had their SSH's pay.

Giving away those tickets is about goodwill, something MLSE doesn't seem to quite comprehend as it's always about immediately taking the most money out of the consumers pocket at the earliest time. The alternative model is you give somebody a benefit, like a free game, and that's supposed to increase their chances of spending money with you in the future. So in the long run, you actually make more money. Perhaps that's something they could run through their heads currently, since as far as I can tell, they have even more SSH's who are ready to walk away from this team and the end of the year.

Just to bring Apples to Apples on this....the teams that gave their SSH's those tickets were playing in large stadiums augmented by a ton of soccer fans buying tickets. It offset the absorbtion or at least shouldered some of the hit. BMO field having 16000 SSH's and trying to make the remaining 4000 lessen the blow wasn't going to happen. Would you rather see a team like RM in BMO or much cheaper in Skydome? The two are night and day for my money. That is, if I actually wanted to go and pay $100 a ticket.

I think these tickets will be cheaper by comparison, but still a non starter for supporters overall.

2009 RM played DC - fits the example of selling around the SSH base. 2011 Philly paid for RM from what I can tell which is to your point about the game being free.

I would still point to the belief that even a 'free' game to supporters at least - is useless and wasted on us. The fansbase of this club is very jaded. If I were them, I would take the muligan on this crap but it seems new ownership and leadership have made it a priority.

Auzzy
06-25-2013, 02:02 PM

Gold star for this one, upvote this guy!

glaze
06-25-2013, 02:38 PM
Real Madrid had Ronaldo possibly at the peak of his popularity. The game had "event" status and TFC charged a premium price for it. Liverpool was at the Dome and organized by a 3rd party promoter. TFC were just the paid opponent. For those of us in the corner supporters section, there was a huge mix-up in security telling people to sit down. The game was ill-conceived on all levels, and came across as a cash grab.

This game will not do anything to build the TFC brand in this city. Fans can expect Real Madrid prices, but it could be worse, they could have scheduled it for the Dome.

I still think friendlies have a place with TFC, This year we dropped out of the CCL early and are not exactly in the playoff hunt. If it were a freebie to supporters for a lost season, and used as an opportunity to further develop the players who don't always see action, I'd be all for it. But this one seems more like the usual TFC cycle- bring in a name from Europe. hope their fans in Toronto who don't come to TFC games buy tickets. Get some media coverage on the circus (especially if a top world player is involved). make lots of money. miss playoffs again.

jabbronies
06-25-2013, 02:44 PM

And as for voodoo's attendance figures, a number of those games were included in the season ticket holders package, so it inflated the numbers.

The exceptions being Real Madrid and Liverpool of course. Don't think Roma has the same pull as those two.

Unless the tickets are cheap, I'm going to say paid attendance will be less than 10,000 at which point TFC will be giving away tickets like man to get it to 15,000 somehow.

De Rossi?

Whoop
06-25-2013, 02:45 PM
I had to look who was on Roma.

v00d00daddy
06-25-2013, 02:50 PM
Totti
DeRossi
Bradley are the names people will recognize.

They also have two really good up and coming players that people may have seen in the U21 Euro. Florenzi is a good left sided winger and Mattia Destro is a very good young striker.

Roma is not coming off a good year but their will still be plenty of players to watch.

Canary10
06-25-2013, 02:50 PM
Real Madrid had Ronaldo possibly at the peak of his popularity. The game had "event" status and TFC charged a premium price for it. Liverpool was at the Dome and organized by a 3rd party promoter. TFC were just the paid opponent. For those of us in the corner supporters section, there was a huge mix-up in security telling people to sit down. The game was ill-conceived on all levels, and came across as a cash grab.

This game will not do anything to build the TFC brand in this city. Fans can expect Real Madrid prices, but it could be worse, they could have scheduled it for the Dome.

I still think friendlies have a place with TFC, This year we dropped out of the CCL early and are not exactly in the playoff hunt. If it were a freebie to supporters for a lost season, and used as an opportunity to further develop the players who don't always see action, I'd be all for it. But this one seems more like the usual TFC cycle- bring in a name from Europe. hope their fans in Toronto who don't come to TFC games buy tickets. Get some media coverage on the circus (especially if a top world player is involved). make lots of money. miss playoffs again.

I remember I had a game the night of the Real Madrid open practice, and half my team went to that instead of our game. I think we had exactly 11 men, no subs, while they went and smelled Ronaldo's sweaty balls.

jabbronies
06-25-2013, 02:51 PM
So we've had a Portuguese team, a couple English teams, an Italian team, a Spanish team, an Argentine and Mexican team...

So what are we missing to fill the cities multicultural needs? Greek? What are the odds on our next friendly being one of AEK, Olympiacos or Panithinaikos?

brad
06-25-2013, 03:38 PM
How can I predict a sold out BMO for this years game? I just grabbed the past numbers to show you that the attendance wasn't terrible, and in fact, close to sell outs for all of them.

Why would this Roma game be different?

I think Roma will sell well (lots of Roma fans around and plenty of Azzuri fans that will want to see Totti).

But this game is different than a lot of the ones you quoted for a couple of reasons.
1)TFC was a still a hot ticket for a number of those games, apathy hadn't set in yet.
2)STH's had already paid for tickets for a bunch of those games as part of the pack. I went to several of them because I had a ticket with my STH. I wouldn't have paid extra (if given the option) for a number of those games though.

Don't know if it will sell out though. Juve-Fiorentina pulled in 21k at the dome a few years ago, and Juve have a larger support base here (I think) and there were a ton of people there just to see Del Piero.

brad
06-25-2013, 03:54 PM
I don't know why people think they won't field a strong team. Their season will be three weeks away at that point. These games have a use for them. They'll be wanting their starters to be match fit.

I went to see Spurs in New York last year less than a month before their season started, and they played every starter who didn't have an injury. Bale, for example, played about 85 minutes. And they had just had a game against Chelsea three or four days prior. Roma will be in the same place.

People say this every time a big club comes through on a friendly. And pretty much every time (unless it's a World Cup or Euro year) you get most of the first team players, some of the reserves and some of the prospects. Roma will probably have their entire first team here, with the exception of De Rossi who might be given a break after the Confed Cup.

flatpicker
06-25-2013, 04:00 PM

I'm told it has something to do with tomatoes.

I like tomatoes.
Count me in!

Red CB Toronto
06-25-2013, 04:24 PM
As a supporter of the USMNT and an AO member of I am looking forward to Michael Bradley to taking the pitch at BMO Field.

69Chevy396
06-25-2013, 04:55 PM
Isnt that what all friendlies are? This was a very smart move by mlse, giving the hundred odd thousand Italian-Canadians a chance to see this legendary team. BMO will be full, for a change.

Suds
06-25-2013, 05:37 PM
If the price is right and I have the time I'm in. I'd like to see Roma play. Some good talent on that team and they would be fun to watch.

My preference is no friendlies during our mid-season. But it seems friendlies are here to stay for the short term. If MLS teams can generate revenue and exposure for the league then these games will continue.

At least we're not forced to buy the tickets or having them tied to some renewal. The decision to buy a ticket or not is completely up to the individual.

BuSaPuNk
06-25-2013, 06:32 PM
We all know that friendlies are a big part of this leauge. My problem with it is the scheduling of this side show. Just shows the complete attitude of this FO. Profits before results. 3 games in 7 days with one on the road? Sure it's not going to be a competitive game but really why even tempt fate. I swear if someone gets hurt ill flip.

v00d00daddy
06-25-2013, 06:46 PM
We all know that friendlies are a big part of this leauge. My problem with it is the scheduling of this side show. Just shows the complete attitude of this FO. Profits before results. 3 games in 7 days with one on the road? Sure it's not going to be a competitive game but really why even tempt fate. I swear if someone gets hurt ill flip.

Well, we have a game away on July 13th against KC, then another away at Chivas in LA and then a third game in one week back at home on the 20th against RBNY.

Should we rest players to avoid injury considering that we all know we're out of the hunt for anything this year?

TFC will be giving exposure to a lot of their young players against Roma. They always do in friendlies. If someone gets hurt its shitty luck but it's not as if its going to spoil our playoff run or CCL run.

We have another stretch of 3 games in a week in September. One friendly where a lot of bench and reserve players will get to play is not the end of the world.

BuSaPuNk
06-25-2013, 07:01 PM
It would have worked better if it was scheduled for the 31st would have had 3 days then 4 between games. 3 games in 9 days now that isn't a big deal. 3 games in 7 that's just nutz. And those other games are 3 in 8 still not bad.

Either way it's going to happen. It's probably going to have a huge Roma base taking over our house. (Which pisses me off the most) Why as a FO do they think that is a good idea outside of $ is beyond me.

TFC07
06-25-2013, 07:19 PM
Roma (like all these overseas clubs) dictate the schedule for the game not TFC. We play on their schedule not ours! (Everyone here should know this by now)

Remember: beggars can't be choosers.

OgtheDim
06-25-2013, 07:45 PM
If we don't play this, MLS gets ticked. Bye bye chance of getting nice things from MLS.

To paraphrase

A 4th DP is worth a friendly.

prizby
06-25-2013, 07:49 PM
to all those defending the friendly I ask you this. Would Roma have played Toronto FC in February, played their first team for 45 minutes in between say Sampdoria on the road (Feb 10th) and Juventus at home (Feb 17th). Do you think their fans would accept that?

BuSaPuNk
06-25-2013, 07:51 PM
^ of course not there from the prestigious Serie A. It's a double standard that quite frankly I'm stick and tired off. They wouldn't do it in season for us why should be for them?

MLS wants to punish us for not having them? What are they going to do? Bend the rules to punish us?

__wowza
06-25-2013, 08:39 PM
TFC will be giving exposure to a lot of their young players against Roma. They always do in friendlies. If someone gets hurt its shitty luck but it's not as if its going to spoil our playoff run or CCL run.

We have another stretch of 3 games in a week in September. One friendly where a lot of bench and reserve players will get to play is not the end of the world.

exactly, look at the team we were playing last year. to say it was even second string would be a joke. fans don't come to these games to see us crush the opposition, they come to say that they saw roma, or everton, or whoever the fuck. the "no playoff/CCL run to spoil" argument will definitely change in the years the club becomes competitive, but like it's been said before.. this isn't just us. the bulk of MLS teams are hosting friendlies, if someone gets injured it's just a dice roll to figure out which team it's going to happen to.

MLS co-ordinates with the clubs to raise the leagues international profile, but if injuries and fatigue stemming from these games end up effecting league or champions league play overall, you can guarantee it's going to be reviewed.

69Chevy396
06-25-2013, 08:41 PM
^ of course not there from the prestigious Serie A. It's a double standard that quite frankly I'm stick and tired off. They wouldn't do it in season for us why should be for them?

MLS wants to punish us for not having them? What are they going to do? Bend the rules to punish us?
Sometimes I wonder if supporters really do live in a soccer bubble. Mohamad Ali needed Joe Frazer. You want to be in the game you need to embrace, not reject the chance to play against and learn from other teams and leagues. Besides, if TFC puts on a decent show some of the roma fans may find an interest in mls. That cannot be a bad thing.

BuSaPuNk
06-25-2013, 08:50 PM
Sometimes I wonder if supporters really do live in a soccer bubble. Mohamad Ali needed Joe Frazer. You want to be in the game you need to embrace, not reject the chance to play against and learn from other teams and leagues. Besides, if TFC puts on a decent show some of the roma fans may find an interest in mls. That cannot be a bad thing.

It's not really a bubble. And I would like to see numbers of how many fans were turned onto MLS after going to a mid season friendly. It's probably so small you can count it on your finger and toes.

And before the MLS what did teams do for friendlies? Oh yeah play teams in there leauge or around Europe used as preseason games for both clubs.

Now I know MLS runs on a screwed up schedual away from the traditional schedual so it's a little more difficult to play these in the offseason. However te counter point is would these clubs ever play a friendly against us when there in season? Nope. So why should we accommodate them?

Shakes McQueen
06-25-2013, 08:55 PM
Know what I'd like? I'd like for Payne to announce that the team will not play another mid-season friendly, until they've made the post-season, and any potential pre-season friendlies will be free to STHs. Simple.

- Scott

jazzy
06-25-2013, 10:22 PM
funny not really that interested in seeing 'other' teams...no matter who they are...I've suffered long enough and simply want to see our young team slowly grow..and hopefully play as last game against a superior team ...why spoil things does anyone realize in the FO we're seeing enough quality football in the confed cup and the past under 21....this game almost seems like it's for non fans, and will be a downer......only positive is for Osorio and the few to match their best. ....PS so Frei gets a game :)

spe18
06-25-2013, 10:35 PM
It would have worked better if it was scheduled for the 31st would have had 3 days then 4 between games. 3 games in 9 days now that isn't a big deal. 3 games in 7 that's just nutz. And those other games are 3 in 8 still not bad.

Either way it's going to happen. It's probably going to have a huge Roma base taking over our house. (Which pisses me off the most) Why as a FO do they think that is a good idea outside of $ is beyond me.

Yes, the 31st would've been a great idea, except that is the scheduled date of the MLS All Star Game :) And for the record, this years game is scheduled to feature:

MLS All Stars vs AS Roma g:D

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/05/30/italian-giants-roma-announced-opponent-2013-att-mls-all-star-game-sporting-p

BuSaPuNk
06-25-2013, 10:38 PM
Yeah I know I forgot about the ASG. lol

nascarguy
06-26-2013, 07:18 AM
I'm not spending any money on this game and I maybe up north for the all-star break

Fort York Redcoat
06-26-2013, 07:24 AM

Of course we live in a bubble. A bubble we created here that we can see out of. :noidea:

Ultimately this thread is for people interested in this friendly so those of you who detest it get your licks in now because repeating ourselves won't stop the invasion.

This thread, like every friendly thread reads

CON- "reason, reason, reason".
PRO- Ya but wa ya gonna do? It's the way it is. You're going crazy saying crazy being crazy...

This game isn't for most of us it's for the visiting home fans that are happy that they have a team in their city to play their FOR REALS team once. A microscopic percentage attend TFC again and that's pandering but that's MLS's fault. SO like I say every friendly thread

Enjoy the game to those that will enjoy this.

I'm happy for those very few Toronto first Roma supporters that are getting a real treat.

Whoop
06-26-2013, 08:05 AM
My favourite thing is when the team coming over for a friendly is from a league you don't follow or hate and it's like "stupid, shitty friendlies".

But when the team coming over is from a league you follow it's like "well, this friendly isn't so bad."

Phil
06-26-2013, 08:27 AM
My favourite thing is when the team coming over for a friendly is from a league you don't follow or hate and it's like "stupid, shitty friendlies".

But when the team coming over is from a league you follow it's like "well, this friendly isn't so bad."

Agreed. Its funny watching the reactions after some of the past friendlies. At least we didn't have to move a game to jam it in like other years.

Fort York Redcoat
06-26-2013, 08:36 AM

If anyone is found out to have done this I suggest the term

Friendly Flip Flopper.

BuSaPuNk
06-26-2013, 08:44 AM
As a Man Utd supporter even if they came I would not be bothered. If I really wanted to see them I would go to another stop on there tour. Never against my hometown club and never during a season.

OgtheDim
06-26-2013, 09:09 AM

Never

ever

ever

lose influence.

We have probably the most influential guy in MLS outside of Garber in Leiweke. And people would have us waste that influence on not having a mid season friendly?!?!

Fort York Redcoat
06-26-2013, 09:18 AM
Never

ever

ever

lose influence.

We have probably the most influential guy in MLS outside of Garber in Leiweke. And people would have us waste that influence on not having a mid season friendly?!?!

Like meaningless friendlies or else? That's sad. We're saying where we stand. If Leiweke decided against a friendly and spouted some of the exact same reasons here we minority would be behind him. I think most of us on the CON side no how unpopular it would be, though.

BuSaPuNk
06-26-2013, 09:38 AM
Pretty sure Lieweike didn't get his influence by scheduling friendlies. Get got it from bringing Beckham to the MLS. Raising the profile of the leauge with the move. The on going evolution of the DP rule that has brought great players to this leauge and made this leauge what it is today. That is what his influence is. Bringing a on going way for teams and the leauge to make on going dollars going forward.

Yes teams and the leauge make $ on friendlies there's no doubt. But they will create more revenue with soild teams and overall parity with the ability of the DP rule then any other form of revenue.

Oldtimer
06-26-2013, 09:42 AM
Pretty sure Lieweike didn't get his influence by scheduling friendlies. Get got it from bringing Beckham to the MLS.

Ummm.... no. Lieweike helped set up the league. It was because he was influential that he was involved in the Beckham deal, not the other way around.

Ultra & Proud
06-26-2013, 10:00 AM
Don't want to spark the whining amongst the crowd but you all know who Lieweke is right and how he operated the Galaxy?

All I can say is expect a lot more friendlies than one per season going forward and for TFC to be in all these summer 'tournaments' that they bring the big boys over to play during their pre-seasons. And FWIW, LA played an assload of friendlies and were champions or contenders throughout so playing a few extra games doesn't mean the team goes to shit. In fact it may be a nice break from the day to day grind that comes from training/scrimmaging every weekday in the balls heat to get ready for Saturday.

Phil
06-26-2013, 10:03 AM
^^^ I have been biting my tounge about those facts U&P

Fort York Redcoat
06-26-2013, 10:14 AM
If this was simply cause and effect we could leave principle out of it.

LA could've shit the bed with congested schedules but they didn't. There was planning but a lot of luck involved as well. They struggled to get to be the landslide team they were suppose to be from the gate.

This is sugar coating. The midseason friendly is garbage and if it does nice things for us in the long run it's still not the way I want to win. Will it negate the trophy celebration? No. Why?

Cause that's just the way it is.:reddevil:

BuSaPuNk
06-26-2013, 11:05 AM
Ummm.... no. Lieweike helped set up the league. It was because he was influential that he was involved in the Beckham deal, not the other way around.

Okay my bad. Still don't like it though. But it's the nature of the beast. Just going to have to live with it :(

Haddy
06-26-2013, 12:08 PM
Yes teams and the leauge make $ on friendlies there's no doubt. But they will create more revenue with soild teams and overall parity with the ability of the DP rule then any other form of revenue.

Are you certain about that? I don't have any data, but I'm not so sure.

Without raising ticket prices:

With Bell and Rogers owning MLSE now, I don't expect either to break the bank on a regional broadcasting deal. Further success on merchandise is debatable - but I think that's where a brand-name DP definitely helps. Whether the stadium atmosphere is diluted or not, there are still plenty of bums in the seats at MLS matches. And remember, there are always more tickets sold than people in attendance. I don't know how much more they can make at the gate without raising prices. There might only be one quick way to generate extra revenue: host a friendly.

Making the team better and more successful is what we all want. But let's admit it - it comes at a cost. An inevitable ticket price hike. edit: If this happens, your theory is 100% correct.

Having said that, another option I like is to develop and sell players at a premium. But that can take years.

Whoop
06-26-2013, 12:11 PM
Payne: "We may not be the home team at this game."

Yeah because TFC season ticket holders aren't going, like they did with past friendlies.

mowe
06-26-2013, 12:12 PM
Of course the stream isn't working.

T-boy
06-26-2013, 12:13 PM
Is it at least free to SSH's?!

Edit: I assume not.

So, not going, don't care, not interested. Move along, nothing to see here for me.

I'm sure there will be a fair few Italian/Roma fans that will go. Not me. Meh.

Haddy
06-26-2013, 12:19 PM
Is it at least free to SSH's?!

No, and at first read...SSH's don't even have a pre-sale. Only 'TFC Insiders' get a pre-sale.

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2013/06/toronto-host-roma-friendly

Edit: Payne followed up later by saying SSH have a few days of pre-sale before the insiders.

Haddy
06-26-2013, 12:23 PM
Payne just said one of the domestic MLS matches may get moved - at New England's request. But that is 100% dependent on the Revs winning their USOC match tonight.

Fort York Redcoat
06-26-2013, 12:26 PM
This feed is painful to watch but the Roma rep is doing his job well.

Couchy81
06-26-2013, 12:30 PM
No, and at first read...SSH's don't even have a pre-sale. Only 'TFC Insiders' get a pre-sale.

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2013/06/toronto-host-roma-friendly

Payne just confirmed dates for tickets:

SSH July 3
Insiders July 9
Public July 10

flamehawk
06-26-2013, 12:32 PM
Not too happy with Payne's representation of opposition as 'vocal minority' .. He could've respectfully recognized the opposition view but chose to what I feel disparage us. Unfortunate.

reggie
06-26-2013, 12:41 PM
a little cheese with that whine...jeeezzz people nobody is forcing you to go,i love the line is it free for STH..

TFC_Allez
06-26-2013, 12:42 PM
Not a fan of mid-season friendlies for all the above mentioned reasons...however, I might actually check this one out.

ProfessorDamage
06-26-2013, 12:44 PM
Like KP points out, Wednesdays are the hardest days of the week for the boys, the "loading day," so this friendly shouldn't do much to wind us for the weekend.

That said, I couldn't care less about Roma so wouldn't be going even if it was free. Hope those that go have a great time, though!

Jack
06-26-2013, 12:53 PM
No interest from me, but I do understand the reasons for doing this. I don't like it, but it's the way things are for us.

Fort York Redcoat
06-26-2013, 01:13 PM
a little cheese with that whine...jeeezzz people nobody is forcing you to go,i love the line is it free for STH..

Caring = whining. Got it. Next stop, Apathy! Anyone for Apathy?!

reggie
06-26-2013, 01:24 PM
Caring = whining. Got it. Next stop, Apathy! Anyone for Apathy?!

no apathy for me...im a TFC fan win or lose,its jus a game,im going because i love futbol,dont like it dont go..

Gino
06-26-2013, 01:25 PM
I became a TFC fan because of this game. Up until now I had no reason to watch a North American game. So I'll give it a chance. Hopefully TFC will field it's strongest team or it could get ugly. It's good that the owners are bringing in a real football team to play against. Hopefully there will lots of kids who play at the game and they can learn that it's not all kick and run. That skill is very important. Maybe the TFC coach will learn that tactics is import to. Maybe one the players from Roma will like Toronto and play here sometime soon.

This is good for Toronto FC- it will be a day of education and growth . Win win!

Auzzy
06-26-2013, 01:29 PM
^ LOL

reggie
06-26-2013, 01:29 PM
gino is a euro snob..lol

bones
06-26-2013, 01:32 PM
I became a TFC fan because of this game. Up until now I had no reason to watch a North American game. So I'll give it a chance. Hopefully TFC will field it's strongest team or it could get ugly. It's good that the owners are bringing in a real football team to play against. Hopefully there will lots of kids who play at the game and they can learn that it's not all kick and run. That skill is very important. Maybe the TFC coach will learn that tactics is import to. Maybe one the players from Roma will like Toronto and play here sometime soon.

This is good for Toronto FC- it will be a day of education and growth . Win win!

WONDERFUL post except for 1 tiny thing. How about we play in our off/pre season during THEIR REGULAR SEASON?!?! You know, when we have no concern about injury costing us anything.

Phil
06-26-2013, 01:36 PM
WONDERFUL post except for 1 tiny thing. How about we play in our off/pre season during THEIR REGULAR SEASON?!?! You know, when we have no concern about injury costing us anything.

To be fair, training can produce injuries. So its not the strongest argument, its just something we all fear and hate. I would prefer not having the match but I think its just the way 'Modern Football' is.

Stress
06-26-2013, 01:41 PM
gino is a euro snob..lol

Well at least he's going to give TFC/NA football a shot. I know you probably didn't mean any ill will behind it but calling someone who just joined the board a euro snob after his first post (edit: 3rd post) is a little much. At least let him get settled in the overly negative climate that is the RBP boards first.

bones
06-26-2013, 01:47 PM
To be fair, training can produce injuries. So its not the strongest argument, its just something we all fear and hate. I would prefer not having the match but I think its just the way 'Modern Football' is.

Phil, I don't know if you realized but you proved my point. "training can produce injuries". Since we are not playing for anything in this friendly some would categorize this learning experience playing very good players as "training". And I agree, our players could get hurt. DURING OUR REGULAR SEASON of which it is not necessary to participate in these at this time.

Thanks for pointing this out :)

Brooker
06-26-2013, 01:48 PM

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mco2n41uTz1rvp1hy.gif

Fort York Redcoat
06-26-2013, 01:58 PM
no apathy for me...im a TFC fan win or lose,its jus a game,im going because i love futbol,dont like it dont go..

I won't. But that has little to do with your condescension towards my opinion. You have every right to enjoy this opportunity given. I'm not going to call you names about it and I'm not leading a boycott.

Welcome, Gino. Enjoy the game. YOU are the reason we have these friendlies.

Greatest Ripoff
06-26-2013, 02:03 PM
Stay classy Kurt Laron.

Kurtis Larson ‏@KurtLarSUN (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN)28s (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN/status/349965260037431298)
Tomorrow's Toronto Sun: #TFC (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TFC&src=hash)'s playing a friendly -- get over it

Fort York Redcoat
06-26-2013, 02:09 PM
Stay classy Kurt Laron.

Kurtis Larson ‏@KurtLarSUN (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN)28s (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN/status/349965260037431298)
Tomorrow's Toronto Sun: #TFC (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TFC&src=hash)'s playing a friendly -- get over it

What I love about that is that if what they say is true that the "naysayers" to midseason friendlies are an insignificant minority then that tweet looks like it's nothing to get excited about to the majority. #Trollirony.

Haddy
06-26-2013, 03:00 PM
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mco2n41uTz1rvp1hy.gif

I'm in tears. Completely sums up the day.

ryan
06-26-2013, 03:09 PM
Stay classy Kurt Laron.

He can not get run over by a bus soon enough.

How to generate interest for a sport in Toronto? But a total doucheschmuck like this in charge of writing the columns. Brilliant.

BuSaPuNk
06-26-2013, 03:11 PM
So is everyone else scratching thier head why Payne would call his teams own fans "not significant" in terms of those supposed to the friendly? Not sure if it was on the feed, never got to see it but it was confirmed by Rollins on twitter. Like if its true that's a little fucking rediculous.

v00d00daddy
06-26-2013, 03:18 PM
So is everyone else scratching thier head why Payne would call his teams own fans "not significant" in terms of those supposed to the friendly? Not sure if it was on the feed, never got to see it but it was confirmed by Rollins on twitter. Like if its true that's a little fucking rediculous.

He said what? What was the context?

Whoop
06-26-2013, 03:21 PM
Those who opposed the friendly were "not significant".

Insinuating that it's only a small minority who are against the friendlies.

T-boy
06-26-2013, 03:27 PM

A little out of context - Payne said that there was a small vocal minority that was against these friendlies, and that it was "not significant". He didn't say that those fans were "not significant".

tfcleeds
06-26-2013, 03:28 PM
Not sure why he would even bring up the opposition to friendlies, unless it was a question posed to him directly?

T-boy
06-26-2013, 03:28 PM
Yes it was a question posed to him from the media.

BuSaPuNk
06-26-2013, 03:30 PM
^ okay thanks for cleaning that up guys. If that was what was said wow lol

BuSaPuNk
06-26-2013, 03:31 PM
Yes it was a question posed to him from the media.

Question actually came from Rollins.

T-boy
06-26-2013, 03:32 PM
^ okay thanks for cleaning that up guys. If that was what was said wow lol

Give him a little credit - he's not Tom Anselmi, haha!

BuSaPuNk
06-26-2013, 03:35 PM
^ this is true I would almost expect that from him

Ultra & Proud
06-26-2013, 03:40 PM
Payne is right in that it is an insignificant number of people against friendlies. Most regular fans or even casual sports fans either like them or just don't care about them. All the regular fan folk I go to matches with like them because they get to see 'big team X' play and how well we play against them. Sure a reasonable amount of supporters hate them but the SGs represent a small drop in the bucket fan wise. Might as well get used to them though and save the key strokes because I think we'll be having plenty of them starting next season.

TFC07
06-26-2013, 03:40 PM
Question actually came from Rollins.

Ignore Rollins who has been on anti-TFC bandwagon since Payne was hired.

As for this friendly, I don't know why people here are making this an issue. We have NOTHING TO PLAY FOR THIS SEASON. So does it really hurt us to play a friendly this season?

If anything, this friendly will give exposure for our players against quality team and maybe gives Roma players a chance to see Toronto and a chance to sign one or two of them in the future.

BuSaPuNk
06-26-2013, 03:43 PM

As for this friendly, I don't know why people here are making this an issue. We have NOTHING TO PLAY FOR THIS SEASON. So does it really hurt us to play a friendly this season?

If anything, this friendly will give exposure for our players against quality team and maybe gives Roma players a chance to see Toronto and a chance to sign one or two of them in the future.

I hate this bringing teams for friendlies allows for deals with there players thing. Give me an example of a player signing here after having a friendly with there team?

Jack
06-26-2013, 03:44 PM
I hate this bringing teams for friendlies allows for deals with there players thing. Give me an example of a player signing here after having a friendly with there team?
It does at least put the name of our team on newsfeeds and screens in places we would not normally appear.

pdogg
06-26-2013, 03:47 PM
Wasn't Pablo Vitti here on a friendly from one of the first seasons? Or was it for the u20 tournament?

TFC07
06-26-2013, 03:50 PM

Pablo Vitti

TFC07
06-26-2013, 03:51 PM
Wasn't Pablo Vitti here on a friendly from one of the first seasons? Or was it for the u20 tournament?

Yes, he was with Independiente.

TFC07
06-26-2013, 03:52 PM
Also, Frei was training with Liverpool in the last off-season. I wonder how he got that opportunity. lol

BuSaPuNk
06-26-2013, 04:10 PM
It does at least put the name of our team on newsfeeds and screens in places we would not normally appear.

True I like the positives to having it. But to me there are far too many negatives.

OgtheDim
06-26-2013, 04:31 PM
Stay classy Kurt Laron.

ACTUALLY, if that's really his headline, it a bad sign for Larson.

See, the Sun is all about getting eyeballs to read online or to spend the money to actually buy that thing. And, in the context of a newspaper/media organization focused on grade 3 level readers (as against the Globe at Grade 6) that means getting a LOT of people interested in what your headline says. Now, like it or not, there are probably WAY more Roma fans in TO then TFC supporters who are aware friendlies are not liked by some of the supporters. So, if "TFC (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TFC&src=hash)'s playing a friendly -- get over it" is his headline, he's really going for the low end on the whole google news SEO scale. i.e. Its "within the beltway" talk, as the pundits in DC say.

If he is focusing on internal supporter discussions to get eyeballs, he's not going to succeed.

So, if that is the headline, just ignore him.

Don't click on the link when it comes up.

Don't comment on it.

Just let it slide.

The best way to deal with what is, really, a bit of trolling by a commentator hoping to get eyeballs through reaction, is to not feed the troll.

And Larsun, if he uses it, is really just trolling for eyeballs among supporters with that headline.

BuSaPuNk
06-26-2013, 05:01 PM
Pablo Vitti

How did that work out again?

ag futbol
06-26-2013, 05:03 PM
Slightly better than wikipedia :D

BuSaPuNk
06-26-2013, 06:01 PM
I just don't see how the two connect. Yet. Now if this turns into a relationship with some of these teams I can live with the friendlies. It's hasn't happened. Our best bet is to have a deal with a team to become a place to bring there players like Man City/NY City. Obviously not to the point where they tell us what to do. But having a good working relationship with one.

v00d00daddy
06-26-2013, 06:06 PM

We've stocked our teams since day one with rejects from the part of the world you follow but I don't hear you complaining about that.

We sign one guy from a team that visited us and its some kind of proof to you that its not a good way to expose visiting teams to Toronto FC...all because he didn't work out?

We sign dozens of guys that don't work out and our team continues to be shit but you don't complain about that.

This is a meaningless friendly in a meaningless season. There are PLENTY of much more important issues with this club than TFC not listening to the supporters who don't want mid season friendlies.

Would you really be happy about the state of this team if Kevin Payne came out and said "We're suspending all mid season friendlies until we're a competitive side".

Or would we all be calling it a bunch of pandering bullshit? LOL

I know I would.

I couldn't care less if they scheduled 5 mid season friendlies. All I wanna know is if the right guy is our President/GM/Head coach and if they're finding the right guys to play some good football.

Everything else is white noise and misdirected hostility, imo.

v00d00daddy
06-26-2013, 06:08 PM
I just don't see how the two connect. Yet. Now if this turns into a relationship with some of these teams I can live with the friendlies. It's hasn't happened. Our best bet is to have a deal with a team to become a place to bring there players like Man City/NY City. Obviously not to the point where they tell us what to do. But having a good working relationship with one.

Would it be okay if that team were AS Roma?
Maybe this friendly will foster some relationships that could lead to something like that in the future?

At the end of the day, is it really something to be so upset about?

BuSaPuNk
06-26-2013, 06:22 PM
We've stocked our teams since day one with rejects from the part of the world you follow but I don't hear you complaining about that.

Yeah BPL isn't the only league I watch but thanks for jumping to conclusions.

And I don't understand the hate against people that watch BPL, Championship, ect. Only has the highest ratings of any leauge in the world. So I guess we're all dummy's.

I have been campaigning for scouting on other places around the world. There is so many leagues around the world that we could get guys on the cheap with alot of skill. Not my fault our FO seems to not leave certain places.

BuSaPuNk
06-26-2013, 06:25 PM
Would it be okay if that team were AS Roma?
Maybe this friendly will foster some relationships that could lead to something like that in the future?

At the end of the day, is it really something to be so upset about?

Is it something to be upset about. Not really. Is it ever going to change? No. I really don't give a shit. It's a cash grab more then it is building relationships of any type. People are going to go. Have fun. But if something does happen and we lose someone for the remainder of the year I would expect everyone to live with it.

OgtheDim
06-26-2013, 06:25 PM
If we get anywhere near a Man City/NYCFC relationship or, god help us, a Chivas deal, many of us will be yelling bloody murder.

v00d00daddy
06-26-2013, 06:28 PM

1. You called yourself a Man U supporter so I don't think it's a stretch to assume that's the primary league you follow.
2. I never said anything about a particular league.
3. We have more Championship rejects than anything else.

BuSaPuNk
06-26-2013, 06:30 PM
1. You called yourself a Man U supporter so I don't think it's a stretch to assume that's the primary league you follow.
2. I never said anything about a particular league.
3. We have more Championship rejects than anything else.

It is a stretch I follow this team first and foremost. And please read my updated post.

v00d00daddy
06-26-2013, 06:30 PM
Is it something to be upset about. Not really. Is it ever going to change? No. I really don't give a shit. It's a cash grab more then it is building relationships of any type. People are going to go. Have fun. But if something does happen and we lose someone for the remainder of the year I would expect everyone to live with it.

We could lose anyone at any time. We will be playing all kinds or our players....regulars, bench players, reserve players. Every team in this league plays these meaningless friendlies. Why should we be different?

And if we lose somebody everybody will live with it...because right now, playing AS Roma has about as much bearing on our season as any other game because this season is long lost.

trane
06-26-2013, 06:32 PM
Roma is a much more talented club then their record shows, and they have made some great signings. They have supporters in Toronto, and this is one friendly I would see, and I suppose many Italians would see, ( I will not because I will be in Italy). However, Roma does not really have a world wide following, like Juve, Inter and Milan have.

However, I am generally against mid-season friendlies.

BuSaPuNk
06-26-2013, 06:33 PM
^ This season is not long lost. There is hope until we are mathematically eliminated from playoff contention. We're getting healthy bodies back, transfer window which could help us. This team is capable to recover and get back into this race.

BeachTory
06-26-2013, 06:35 PM

Call me cynical but my first thought was where the IP address of this new user points. An MLSE server anyone ?

maybe i just need a few days off....

BuSaPuNk
06-26-2013, 06:38 PM
@torontofc: #AskKP :: Kevin Payne answers a tweet from @prizby on having midseason friendlies: http://t.co/LzLg8lTOXo #TorontoFC #ASRoma

Love the tweet Prizby!

His answer sucks though. How we compare to Serie A, stick in other league here. How about how we compare to our league? Guess that's not important to our management team.

SweetOwnGoal
06-26-2013, 06:51 PM

Yeah, fuck Rollins. What a dumb fuck. Useless and he sucks at the Oxford comma too.

v00d00daddy
06-26-2013, 06:55 PM

And I don't understand the hate against people that watch BPL, Championship, ect. Only has the highest ratings of any leauge in the world. So I guess we're all dummy's.

I have been campaigning for scouting on other places around the world. There is so many leagues around the world that we could get guys on the cheap with alot of skill. Not my fault our FO seems to not leave certain places.

I don't hate people for watching the EPL but what do ratings have to do with anything? I hate the love of the EPL (and UK based footy in general) because of what its done to the Canadian game. Or what it hasn't done to the Canadian game. The love for UK based football in this country has ruined Canadian football. It's made it stagnant and stuck in a mindset from 30 years ago. I'd hoped it wouldn't seep in to TFC but I was naive to think it wouldn't. It has, and, it's helped to ruin TFC too.

So yes....the EPL is the richest and most watched league in the world....but that doesn't mean that we should be building teams with the mentality of the English national team....whether that be at the national level with the CMNT or at the club level with TFC.

^ This season is not long lost. There is hope until we are mathematically eliminated from playoff contention. We're getting healthy bodies back, transfer window which could help us. This team is capable to recover and get back into this race.

Agree to disagree. It would take a run of epic proportions to make the playoffs. Getting back in to the race isn't anything to look forward to. At least not to me.

@torontofc: #AskKP :: Kevin Payne answers a tweet from @prizby on having midseason friendlies: http://t.co/LzLg8lTOXo #TorontoFC #ASRoma

Love the tweet Prizby!

His answer sucks though. How we compare to Serie A, stick in other league here. How about how we compare to our league? Guess that's not important to our management team.

His answer sucks because it's a bit of a fib if you ask me. Yes...his reasons may be secondary and tertiary reasons, but the real reason is to make money and increase exposure of the club (TFC) and MLS. That's why every team does it.

BuSaPuNk
06-26-2013, 07:02 PM
I don't hate people for watching the EPL but what do ratings have to do with anything? I hate the love of the EPL (and UK based footy in general) because of what its done to the Canadian game. Or what it hasn't done to the Canadian game. The love for UK based football in this country has ruined Canadian football. It's made it stagnant and stuck in a mindset from 30 years ago. I'd hoped it wouldn't seep in to TFC but I was naive to think it wouldn't. It has, and, it's helped to ruin TFC too.

So yes....the EPL is the richest and most watched league in the world....but that doesn't mean that we should be building teams with the mentality of the English national team....whether that be at the national level with the CMNT or at the club level with TFC.

Agree to disagree. It would take a run of epic proportions to make the playoffs. Getting back in to the race isn't anything to look forward to. At least not to me.

See and I completely agree with you. I hate long ball not only from TFC, CMNT. I want some combined styles. A little of everything. Move the ball on the pitch, some over running attacking wing football. We're not that far apart when we look at the huge picture.

v00d00daddy
06-26-2013, 07:12 PM
See and I completely agree with you. I hate long ball not only from TFC, CMNT. I want some combined styles. A little of everything. Move the ball on the pitch, some over running attacking wing football. We're not that far apart when we look at the huge picture.

Sweet. Common ground. LOL

Cheers.

BuSaPuNk
06-26-2013, 07:14 PM
^ That's what's so good about this group of people. We all have other different teams, views, ect..... but we can almost always find common ground.

prizby
06-26-2013, 08:35 PM
Not too happy with Payne's representation of opposition as 'vocal minority' .. He could've respectfully recognized the opposition view but chose to what I feel disparage us. Unfortunate.

funny how he calls it a 'vocal minority' but then says there is a good chance that the game will feel like an away game...which is it?

still don't want to me see my team with these midseason distractions...how about some fucking playoffs for once

Like KP points out, Wednesdays are the hardest days of the week for the boys, the "loading day," so this friendly shouldn't do much to wind us for the weekend.

That said, I couldn't care less about Roma so wouldn't be going even if it was free. Hope those that go have a great time, though!

in Europe, Wednesday's are usually the day off from training (at least that's what the Secret Footballer wrote in his book)

so you would be ok with Roma hosting a friendly against TFC in February next year?

Ronnie O'Brien

Payne is right in that it is an insignificant number of people against friendlies. Most regular fans or even casual sports fans either like them or just don't care about them. All the regular fan folk I go to matches with like them because they get to see 'big team X' play and how well we play against them. Sure a reasonable amount of supporters hate them but the SGs represent a small drop in the bucket fan wise. Might as well get used to them though and save the key strokes because I think we'll be having plenty of them starting next season.

also represent TFC's favourite marketing tool (in the past)

ACTUALLY, if that's really his headline, it a bad sign for Larson.

Kurt doesn't write the headlines to his articles

Love the tweet Prizby!

my question was never fully asked and Payne completely danced around answering it (as written)

BuSaPuNk
06-26-2013, 08:38 PM
^ oh come on of course. Interviews done for TFCTV on GolTV by a paid MLSE employee. What were you expecting some Barbra Winters type questions? Lmao tow the party line

Thomas
06-26-2013, 08:45 PM
To each his own, but I don't think a 90 minute friendly once a year is that bad of a thing. Who knows, I might even go to the game.

TFC07
06-26-2013, 08:53 PM
Yeah, fuck Rollins. What a dumb fuck. Useless and he sucks at the Oxford comma too.

Don't forget how he's Mariner lover as well. :)

jazzy
06-26-2013, 09:50 PM
QUOTE=Stress;1593370]Well at least he's going to give TFC/NA football a shot. I know you probably didn't mean any ill will behind it but calling someone who just joined the board a euro snob after his first post (edit: 3rd post) is a little much. At least let him get settled in the overly negative climate that is the RBP boards first.[/QUOTE]

great point.......gino we'll likely be waiting a while to be at the level of Roma but give TFC a try, it's fun and local...imagine when we get on a roll with our youngsters and players, newcomers from around the world...this is why we all live here right ? Everyone's welcome to live the life and make it the best country, and a soccer power.......someday

TheEdge
06-26-2013, 09:51 PM

The tickets will be reasonable (40-110 $) and they have De Rossi and the Argentinian attacking mid Lamela. Alexi Sanchez is also rumoured to be moving there from Barca.

ManUtd4ever
06-26-2013, 10:01 PM
It should be close to a sellout. We're going to get schooled at BMO Field in front of Roma's home crowd, LOL.

OgtheDim
06-26-2013, 10:12 PM
Are that many people going to pay $40 - $110 to see this match?

prizby
06-26-2013, 11:36 PM
^ oh come on of course. Interviews done for TFCTV on GolTV by a paid MLSE employee. What were you expecting some Barbra Winters type questions? Lmao tow the party line

watch the first part...you can see my question clearly written on the screen; listen to what Asif says.

Red CB Toronto
06-27-2013, 12:36 AM
Spring Break Bitches, life is just a party.

Cashcleaner
06-27-2013, 04:24 AM
First off, I just want to say that I've been predicting a friendly against Roma every year since TFC first started up. So technically, I was right eventually! :D

Secondly. M'eh.

No really, I just do not care right now about a mid-season friendly. When things were going well and the team and supporters are riding a wave of confidence, these games were often embraced by the fans (I know I enjoyed the Benfica and Villa matches). But there is most certainly a time and a place for things, and I just don't see what sort of positive effect this game would have on our club given the current state we're in. Would I watch a mid-season friendly played between us a team as talented and storied as AS Roma? Absolutely - but only after our efforts were first put toward creating a club that can compete in our league and give the fans something to be proud of.

watch the first part...you can see my question clearly written on the screen; listen to what Asif says.

Not exactly what you had asked. But yeah, I actually had a good chuckle when I saw your name and question on the little banner there. That's our Prizby!

ensco
06-27-2013, 06:28 AM
Our MLS team playing a midseason friendly. Wow. Payne really has some nerve. What gall. What a jerk.

Oh the humanity.

July 3 - Copa Verde Portland Timbers vs Morelia @Jenn Weld
July 10 - Club America v Chicago Fire @ Toyota Park
July 12 - D.C. United vs. Chivas Guadalajara at RFK Stadium in Washington
July 12 - Colorado Rapids vs. Santos Laguna in Albuquerque
July 13 - Columbus Crew vs. Wigan Athletic at Crew Stadium in Columbus
July 16 - RBNY v Lyon @ Harrison
July 20 - San Jose Earthquakes v Norwich City @ Buck Shaw Stadium (10:30pm EDT)
July 24 - BBVA Compass Dynamo Charities Cup - Houston Dynamo v Stoke City @ BBVA Compass Stadium
July 24 - Portland Timbers v Norwich City @ Jeld-Wen Field (11:00pm EDT)
July 27 - FC Dallas v Stoke City @ FC Dallas Stadium
July 30 - Philadelphia Union vs. Stoke City at PPL Park in Chester, Pa.
Aug 1 - LA Galaxy v Real Madrid in Phoenix

TOBOR !
06-27-2013, 07:24 AM
we reserve the right to feel indignant towards whatsoever we deem worthy.

brad
06-27-2013, 08:50 AM
Folks that are say "no real team would play a mid-season friendly" are off the mark here. Not common, but it does happen. For example -

AC Milan - 2009
Feb 1st - Serie A game against Lazio
Feb 4th - Friendly against Rangers - a number of first team players got significant minutes here.
Feb 7th - Serie A game against Reggina

They also had a couple other friendlies sandwiched in between competitive fixtures that year. I recall seeing other teams do it as well, but don't have time to look.

tfcleeds
06-27-2013, 08:56 AM
I don't have a problem with the friendly - I really don't care as I won't be attending. I just don't like how it fits into our schedule.

Phil
06-27-2013, 08:56 AM
Remembr when Celtic and Benfica flew over to play here in Toronto during their regular seasons?

http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/2009/09/02/benfica_beats_celtic_31_at_bmo_field.html

Imagine going on such a long journey to play a firendly, that would really suck.

brad
06-27-2013, 09:02 AM
Remembr when Celtic and Benfica flew over to play here in Toronto during their regular seasons?

http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/2009/09/02/benfica_beats_celtic_31_at_bmo_field.html

Imagine going on such a long journey to play a firendly, that would really suck.

That one was pretty much reserves no where near the first team though from what I recall though.

reggie
06-27-2013, 09:44 AM
omg..TFC had a reserve game yesterday and they play saturday,by AUG 7 we may be totally out of the playoff picture or we may put a few wins together and get back in the race...so we play a reserve squad or we play our full squad...win win..

Phil
06-27-2013, 10:13 AM
That one was pretty much reserves no where near the first team though from what I recall though.

Oh it was a total reserve game. Most likely we will be playing the lions share of the game with reserves, espeically if we are in a competitive postition at that time. As well consider that there will be new guys coming in, some heading out and a game like this offers a way for the team to get better intergrated with new players.

I do have to say, I hate the idea of playing this friendly. But I am merely pointing out that there are some benefits and *gasp* other teams in other leagues have played firendlies during their seasons - not even on their own shores....

TFC07
06-27-2013, 11:37 AM
Our MLS team playing a midseason friendly. Wow. Payne really has some nerve. What gall. What a jerk.

Oh the humanity.

July 3 - Copa Verde Portland Timbers vs Morelia @Jenn Weld
July 10 - Club America v Chicago Fire @ Toyota Park
July 12 - D.C. United vs. Chivas Guadalajara at RFK Stadium in Washington
July 12 - Colorado Rapids vs. Santos Laguna in Albuquerque
July 13 - Columbus Crew vs. Wigan Athletic at Crew Stadium in Columbus
July 16 - RBNY v Lyon @ Harrison
July 20 - San Jose Earthquakes v Norwich City @ Buck Shaw Stadium (10:30pm EDT)
July 24 - BBVA Compass Dynamo Charities Cup - Houston Dynamo v Stoke City @ BBVA Compass Stadium
July 24 - Portland Timbers v Norwich City @ Jeld-Wen Field (11:00pm EDT)
July 27 - FC Dallas v Stoke City @ FC Dallas Stadium
July 30 - Philadelphia Union vs. Stoke City at PPL Park in Chester, Pa.
Aug 1 - LA Galaxy v Real Madrid in Phoenix

Interesting to see Portland playing 2 friendlies and how Roma is second biggest club (though some will argue that Lyon is just big as a club as Roma) playing against MLS clubs this season.

Montreal, Vancouver and Seattle not playing friendlies this season?

billyfly
06-27-2013, 11:41 AM
I keep seeing TFC vs Rona.

I need to stop renovating.

Richard
06-27-2013, 12:10 PM
Mid season friendlies do not really raise the profile of teams. Its a short term money grab, there are always going to be fans who couldn't care less for TFC and use the game as an opportunity to spread their snob mentality.

If you want to raise the awareness and profile of the club you become affiliates, this is all behind the scenes stuff that isn't glamorous.

Does MLSE really need the money? We are not Columbus who may have to play these games to break even. Its embarrassing and makes us look poor from an outsiders perspective.

MLSE should be flexing there muscle and look to play teams over seas, no none in Italy outside Roma supporters will care who they play MLS for preseason. If you want to raise awareness you go into their barn.

Garber wants MLS to be a top flight league, does that vision include the continuance of these friendlies?

Jeff s
06-27-2013, 12:30 PM

Love the tweet Prizby!

I honesty hate it when I see people from mls trying to compare it to these kind of leagues. How about we worry about competing against Mexican league first. You know, the league that's killing us every year in the cl?

brad
06-27-2013, 12:47 PM
Mid season friendlies do not really raise the profile of teams. Its a short term money grab, there are always going to be fans who couldn't care less for TFC and use the game as an opportunity to spread their snob mentality.

If you want to raise the awareness and profile of the club you become affiliates, this is all behind the scenes stuff that isn't glamorous.

Does MLS really need the money? We are not Columbus who may have to play these games to break even. Its embarrassing and makes us look poor from an outsiders perspective.

MLSE should be flexing there muscle and look to play teams over seas, no none in Italy outside Roma supporters will care who they play MLS for preseason. If you want to raise awareness you go into their barn.

Fixed the bolded bit. Since we are a profit sharing league, I suspect that MLS have more than a small say here. And even regarding MLSE - they don't need the money, but TFC might. Attendance is down, they could be very well looking at friendlies as a way to get the bottom line back up.

Garber wants MLS to be a top flight league, does that vision include the continuance of these friendlies?

When/if we are a top flight league, we can stop with the midseason friendlies, and make teams from lower calibre leagues play us in our offseason (during their season). Until then, we are not a top flight league. I do think that these do help to raise the profile of the league. Obviously the folks in charge of the league think so as well.

Phil
06-27-2013, 01:13 PM
Lets not forget that seasons tickets were cut in half last year.

If you were to ask clear thinking logical me about things....continue with tickets at this price and allow spectacles like friendlies go on in the heat of summer once a year, or pay an inflated price to cover not playing. Its a tough call.

brad
06-27-2013, 01:18 PM
I'd expect to see a lot more friendlies as the gate revenues drop (either from discounted tickets or from lower overall sales).

That said, the more I think about it, the more I realize I don't think that matters. Even with higher ticket prices and a sold out stadium, I think these friendlies would continue. As supporters, we look at TFC as our team - but tend to forget the reality of things. MLSE are a business, and TFC are a product that MLSE sells. From that perspective, the friendly is an additional opportunity to see that product and make more money. Even if we go back to the days of a sold out stadium and high prices, would you expect a business to say "I have made enough money, and therefore I will turn down this additional opportunity to sell my product and make even more money"? Not very realistic..

It happens at all levels. Big teams get paraded around the world in the off season to make more money. It doesn't help prep them for the season any more than staying close to home. It's a pure cash grab.

prizby
06-27-2013, 01:37 PM
Not exactly what you had asked. But yeah, I actually had a good chuckle when I saw your name and question on the little banner there. That's our Prizby!

i do hope you enjoyed that

going to pull out an old 2 stick from last season for tomorrow's game :)

Folks that are say "no real team would play a mid-season friendly" are off the mark here. Not common, but it does happen. For example -

AC Milan - 2009
Feb 1st - Serie A game against Lazio
Feb 4th - Friendly against Rangers - a number of first team players got significant minutes here.
Feb 7th - Serie A game against Reggina

They also had a couple other friendlies sandwiched in between competitive fixtures that year. I recall seeing other teams do it as well, but don't have time to look.

and when is the next time AC Milan will do this? Thats about as often as TFC should too

was that no during the international break where players were away on international duty and they had no weekend match?

I'd be all for splitting MLS season into an aperatura and a closura and have a break in between for cash grabs

Lets not forget that seasons tickets were cut in half last year.

If you were to ask clear thinking logical me about things....continue with tickets at this price and allow spectacles like friendlies go on in the heat of summer once a year, or pay an inflated price to cover not playing. Its a tough call.

Bayern Munich's cheapest season ticket is $110 for 17 Bundisliga games vs. TFC's $170 for 17 MLS games.

TFC's sponsorships more than cover the MLS salary cap.

As supporters, we look at TFC as our team - but tend to forget the reality of things. MLSE are a business, and TFC are a product that MLSE sells. From that perspective, the friendly is an additional opportunity to see that product and make more money.

see this is the wrong mentality; following the EPL way vs. the Bundisliga way is a theological mistake in my opinion

Does MLSE really need the money? We are not Columbus who may have to play these games to break even. Its embarrassing and makes us look poor from an outsiders perspective.

i always find it funny when they say these friendlies raise the awareness and profile of the club...I am sure Kevin Payne can list of the teams AS Roma played during their 2008 tour...(i'd be surprised if he could even think of what country they played in without having to look it up)

Phil
06-27-2013, 01:43 PM
^^^ Celtic played on August the 30th and played that game on the 2nd. It was during an international break, but still I would say it proves the point that other clubs do this close to and affecting league matches. I would imagine both clubs made money for the game too. Its been going on for some time and most of the MLS clubs do it. I can't see that changing.

I do wish they would choose the timimg better though to mitigate any impact.

I dont doubt much that the sponsorships pay for the salary, but do you have the numbers because I am not aware that its publically disclosed. As a business I expect that they have more expenses than the teams salary cap and all teams like money. Show me one that doesn't.

brad
06-27-2013, 02:14 PM
and when is the next time AC Milan will do this? Thats about as often as TFC should too

Every January. After the mid-season break, right before their first fixture in January (different circumstances, but it's still playing a friendly mid-season close to a competitive fixture)

see this is the wrong mentality; following the EPL way vs. the Bundisliga way is a theological mistake in my opinion

I agree completely, but it's a totally different landscape.

HuTor
06-28-2013, 05:51 AM
As far as I am concerned I don't give a shit for any meaningless friendly (and all friendlies are 100% meaningless unless the only reason to play them is to test new players, new team formulas, etc), and even if this friendly is in the middle of a busy MLS week for TFC I still don't give a shit - I'm not being angry for the probability that some of our players will be tired for the next MLS game, or getting injured.

Why? Because in this season we already we have zero, zip, nada chances to get into playoffs. Those who think we still have chances for playoffs until we have mathematical chances? (And are many of those on this board)
With all the respect, all these people are either smoking something they should share with everyone, lol... or either are irreparable born dreamers, who will never stand on real ground in life, just in clouds...

And for the same reason I wouldn't care at all even if TFC would have other 2 extra friendlies like this scheduled in this regular MLS season.
I mean what the fuck of damage can these games bring to an already washed away season?

Haddy
06-28-2013, 07:11 AM
^^^ Celtic played on August the 30th and played that game on the 2nd. It was during an international break, but still I would say it proves the point that other clubs do this close to and affecting league matches. I would imagine both clubs made money for the game too. Its been going on for some time and most of the MLS clubs do it. I can't see that changing.

For the record, I had a blast at the Celtic v Benfica match. I'm usually in the corner in 119, so to sit right behind the net was remarkable.

Each year I hope the Ex, or whomever, will make this an annual friendly cup at BMO. Be it before or during their domestic seasons. International break meant a few less star players - mostly on Celtic's side - but the tickets weren't astronomical. These are the kind of friendlies I'd pay for no questions asked.

.......okay, maybe not Rangers. Dirty little buggers.

Fort York Redcoat
06-28-2013, 07:46 AM
Why? Because in this season we already we have zero, zip, nada chances to get into playoffs. Those who think we still have chances for playoffs until we have mathematical chances? (And are many of those on this board)
With all the respect, all these people are either smoking something they should share with everyone, lol... or either are irreparable born dreamers, who will never stand on real ground in life, just in clouds...

And for the same reason I wouldn't care at all even if TFC would have other 2 extra friendlies like this scheduled in this regular MLS season.
I mean what the fuck of damage can these games bring to an already washed away season?

For someone who's been indirectly accused of making mountains out of molehills for my POV there is a lot of hyperbole going on in here in regards to the number of people thinking this friendly will keep us out of playoffs or contention thereof.

I don't care if it means we're only 6th instead of 7th, it's a marked improvement in the standings and progress.

The number of people holding the tired North American view of

"Trophies or tank it" or in this case, "Playoffs or who cares?"

makes me ill

Enjoy your friendly. Especially if it's all you think is a worthwhile event.

I realize it's where we live and

It's just the way it is.

Globetrotter
06-28-2013, 08:16 AM
Society wouldn't have progressed very far if we settled for "it's just the way it is".

Christine Sinclair would be at home scrubbing dishes and raising 8 children if many years back we settled for "it's just the way it is".

MarkEightThree
06-28-2013, 09:06 AM
For the record, I had a blast at the Celtic v Benfica match. I'm usually in the corner in 119, so to sit right behind the net was remarkable.

Each year I hope the Ex, or whomever, will make this an annual friendly cup at BMO. Be it before or during their domestic seasons. International break meant a few less star players - mostly on Celtic's side - but the tickets weren't astronomical. These are the kind of friendlies I'd pay for no questions asked.

.......okay, maybe not Rangers. Dirty little buggers.

When they announced they were bringing back the CNE Cup for this match I got excited and thought it would be an annual thing at the Ex, but it was a one and done deal unfortunately. Not sure why, it was a sold-out match and getting into the Ex free with your game ticket was a great deal.

ensco
06-28-2013, 11:05 AM

Theological mistake?

The world you want doesn't exist. You're going to have to find another universe. Here's a list of in-season Bundeliga friendlies.

http://us.soccerway.com/national/germany/club-friendlies/

Richard
06-28-2013, 11:20 AM
^^^ Those friendlies are from June-July, there are no competitive fixtures as the Bundeliga season is finished. Its essentially an early training camp. Unless im missing something very obvious I don't see how this relates. Nvm. just saw you can flip through the past few months. Don't they have a winter break though? I can see them doing that to keep player match fitness up.

prizby
06-28-2013, 01:17 PM
Every January. After the mid-season break, right before their first fixture in January (different circumstances, but it's still playing a friendly mid-season close to a competitive fixture)

they do it during a Christmas break (2 week break); MLS can't take a break for friendlies?

Theological mistake?

The world you want doesn't exist. You're going to have to find another universe. Here's a list of in-season Bundeliga friendlies.

http://us.soccerway.com/national/germany/club-friendlies/

1. Those are all during the summer; not during the Bundesliga season

2. My point was how we are perceived as a customer of the club; not a 'member' of the club

I do wish they would choose the timimg better though to mitigate any impact.

I dont doubt much that the sponsorships pay for the salary, but do you have the numbers because I am not aware that its publically disclosed. As a business I expect that they have more expenses than the teams salary cap and all teams like money. Show me one that doesn't.

point was celtic didn't have a game 3 days later; it was more than a week later; plenty of time to recover and still stay focused on their season. They also don't have the issue of playing in a league where any team can win any day of the week.

BMO Field naming rights went for 10 years; $27 million (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bmo_field#cite_note-23). $2.7 million a year = almost the cap; that is just one sponsorship; wonder what the jersey rights go for; been rumoured to be close to $4 million; even if that is half of it; that is the cap + Koef's dp salary

Phil
06-28-2013, 01:33 PM
^^^ They are no different than any other NA buisness and they want increased profitability. Weather that comes from tickets, sponsorships, tv - it really doesn't matter. If they were only concerned with covering salary, why not give the tickets away for free?

It speaks to your point about being as a member of the club vs a customer, but a shift in perception and business practices would be monumental. It would need a real cultral shift in NA sports. Or they can keep chasing the dollar signs like they do in the EPL, I know which one will win in this universe.

Fair enough on your points about the Celtic match but I wanted to counter balance all the claims of other clubs not doing mid season friendlies a bit. As well a trip overseas was pretty major for both teams even on an international break. Those leauges align with FIFA and its dates, our league does not. If the MLS continues on this cycle then this is the only way they will get these types of friendly games and its clear that they want them.

Anyhow, I am going to save my energy for supporting the team tomorrow vs. the internets. :D

Ultra & Proud
06-28-2013, 01:42 PM
Seeing this as the evil ML$E raking money hand over fist is short sighted and too simple. Bottom line is that Garber wants teams to do friendlies. He insists on them and is not happy when teams do not sacrifice their schedules to raise the profile of the league. Since Lieweke is on the MLS honcho committee and agrees with this stance it should be no surprise that even more friendlies are coming. Right or wrong, Garber and the MLS honchos see these high profile friendlies as a way to grow the league by getting some TV and newspaper time in Europe and abroad. That's the big picture. The big picture isn't "Team A" is getting only 3 days rest before the next match. Their big picture is that MLS will be a real world class league in a decade or so. Besides since most teams are doing friendlies at roughly the same part of the season it's an even playing field. Most teams will be dealing with shortened weeks at some point this season and in our case, our schedule is even lessened as we bombed out of the CCL. Complaining about these friendlies is about as useful as me going outside right now to yell at the sky for raining. The rain will still fall and even though I may not see it right now, my inconveniences today will mean that plants and crops will grow and there will be food for tomorrow.

tfcleeds
06-28-2013, 02:04 PM
Seeing this as the evil ML$E raking money hand over fist is short sighted and too simple. Bottom line is that Garber wants teams to do friendlies. He insists on them and is not happy when teams do not sacrifice their schedules to raise the profile of the league. Since Lieweke is on the MLS honcho committee and agrees with this stance it should be no surprise that even more friendlies are coming. Right or wrong, Garber and the MLS honchos see these high profile friendlies as a way to grow the league by getting some TV and newspaper time in Europe and abroad. That's the big picture. The big picture isn't "Team A" is getting only 3 days rest before the next match. Their big picture is that MLS will be a real world class league in a decade or so. Besides since most teams are doing friendlies at roughly the same part of the season it's an even playing field. Most teams will be dealing with shortened weeks at some point this season and in our case, our schedule is even lessened as we bombed out of the CCL. Complaining about these friendlies is about as useful as me going outside right now to yell at the sky for raining. The rain will still fall and even though I may not see it right now, my inconveniences today will mean that plants and crops will grow and there will be food for tomorrow.This is all true, of course. But it would be easier to accept if it weren't for the fact that once again, we will almost certainly be on the outside looking in come playoff time. As someone alluded to earlier, sometimes it just really feels like the FO cares more about arranging these friendlies than it does about building a competitive team in MLS. As though somehow scheduling these matches against marquee names somehow makes up for all the crap we've consistently been served up.

Ultra & Proud
06-28-2013, 02:39 PM
This is all true, of course. But it would be easier to accept if it weren't for the fact that once again, we will almost certainly be on the outside looking in come playoff time. As someone alluded to earlier, sometimes it just really feels like the FO cares more about arranging these friendlies than it does about building a competitive team in MLS. As though somehow scheduling these matches against marquee names somehow makes up for all the crap we've consistently been served up.
I can see the more concerned with friendlies than winning point since we never won but I in no way think TFC and MLSE don't want or care to win. They do. They just don't know how to go about doing it.

The main complaint around here is that it adds congestion to our schedule and we may lose matches or take on injuries because of extra meaningless match. Injuries happen and just because O'Brien went down in a friendly on our then shit turf means nothing. Frei had a worse injury on grass during training so shit happens. You live with that. Point is that all teams play them and some play more than one so it's not like TFC is the only one doing it. Also if we look at the past, LA has played more of them than anyone over the past 5 seasons and have the best record over that stretch and the most amount of silverware too.

bones
06-28-2013, 09:00 PM
I can see the more concerned with friendlies than winning point since we never won but I in no way think TFC and MLSE don't want or care to win. They do. They just don't know how to go about doing it.

The main complaint around here is that it adds congestion to our schedule and we may lose matches or take on injuries because of extra meaningless match. Injuries happen and just because O'Brien went down in a friendly on our then shit turf means nothing. Frei had a worse injury on grass during training so shit happens. You live with that. Point is that all teams play them and some play more than one so it's not like TFC is the only one doing it. Also if we look at the past, LA has played more of them than anyone over the past 5 seasons and have the best record over that stretch and the most amount of silverware too.

Are you Larson in disguise???

If you think that the intensity of match play, yes even an international friendly, is in any way the same as inter squad training then you are wrong. I have played some fairly significant games in other sports and practice is ALWAYS not the same intensity level as a game. When you play meaningless games against players that are in so called higher level play leagues it motivates you even more. When you increase the intensity you GREATLY increase the risk of injury.

My point, why increase the risk of injury during the regular season. By all means, please have international friendlies, make boat loads of cash, do whatever floats your boat, but DON'T DO IT DURING THE REGULAR SEASON.

Ultra & Proud
06-29-2013, 07:52 AM
You just don't get it. This is MLS. You HAVE to do the friendlies and you HAVE to do them in the summer. Garber and the MLS B.O.G insists on them. Pretty much every team does them. You live with it. You see the Liverpool one? It was 3/4 reserves and Academy kids and only them in the second half. Players who never get significant minutes. You think they can't get more out of this than these more relaxed training sessions you speak of? You think these players wouldn't want to play this match because of injury risk? I saw that Liverpool one and you could see our starters treating it like a meaningless friendly. When it was all kids and reserves you could see it was big for them. Whether it was fun for them to actually play in front of a big crowd or to test/prove themselves against stiffer competition, they clearly were into it and wanted to be there. For some of the kids, especially the ones who got cut from the Academy, that will be a big experience for them going forward. Now is it worth paying decent cash to see these players out there against Roma? Not for me but to each their own. As for future friendlies I could care less. I most likely would never go but I won't cry about them happening and wouldn't begrudge anyone who went.

ElvistheEvilScotsman
07-01-2013, 07:34 AM
If Garber wants to increase the profile of the league I would suggest getting the best of MLS to take these matches on. TFC is just going to get embarrassed. If we had a great team that could be a giant killer I'd pay to see it. Right now I could give two shits about this match.

prizby
07-01-2013, 07:40 PM
You just don't get it. This is MLS. You HAVE to do the friendlies and you HAVE to do them in the summer. Garber and the MLS B.O.G insists on them.

pretty simple solution; fuck off with this march to november calendar season or have an international friendly break.

brad
07-02-2013, 10:30 AM
pretty simple solution; fuck off with this march to november calendar season or have an international friendly break.

A lot of rumors floating around that FIFA (with UEFA who are on board) want to move the big European leagues to playing over the summer with the season ending in the winter, and that heat of playing in summer Qatar in 2022 is going to be the big push that they will use to make it happen.

Who know what sort of legs this has, but it wouldn't surprise me with FIFA (nothing would really). Anyway, it would be interesting as it might mean the rest of the world aligns with us :-)

International friendly break makes a lot of sense. It's a pretty narrow window when the Euro clubs are looking for matches.

nfitz
07-03-2013, 02:51 AM
A lot of rumors floating around that FIFA (with UEFA who are on board) want to move the big European leagues to playing over the summer with the season ending in the winter, and that heat of playing in summer Qatar in 2022 is going to be the big push that they will use to make it happen.I've heard comments about a winter break for the 2022 World Cup itself, but until recently, FIFA was trying to push MLS and other leagues to adopt the summer break. When did the go the other way?

As for Roma itself ... I'm on the fence. On one hand, I don't have any interest in Italian football. And I don't think I even recognize a player on their team other than Bradley. I can't really complain about the pricing. $29 doesn't seem unreasonable. Perhaps it will come down to do I really want to show support for bringing a team like Roma here, given their ongoing links to racism and disinterest in dealing with their supporters. If MLS took their respect campaign seriously, they wouldn't be letting teams like this tour North America.

But then again, it will be almost my only chance to see TFC all summer, as I seem to be strategically out-of-town on the rare occasions they are here this year.

brad
07-03-2013, 06:54 AM
I've heard comments about a winter break for the 2022 World Cup itself, but until recently, FIFA was trying to push MLS and other leagues to adopt the summer break. When did the go the other way?

I've just heard rumblings through the grapevine - no clue if it is legit, but there is quite a bit of chatter around this overseas. Blatter/Plantini think having the schedule over the summer (better weather) would be better overall.

Davenport
07-03-2013, 11:12 AM
A good read. Just how I feel about meaningless friendlies. Never paid to see one....never will.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2013/jul/03/bournemouth-real-madrid

T-boy
07-03-2013, 11:21 AM
I've only ever seen one decent friendly in my life (Oxford V Aston Villa back in 1995 or 1996). Outstanding game just before the start of the premier league season. Villa players were clearly out to try and play themselves into the starting 11, Oxford players doing the same. It was no holds barred and a proper football game.

Apart from that, all friendlies I've seen are clearly just that - a friendly kick about, a glorified training or warm up session. The weird thing is, the people who hardly ever go to real football games live, they think its a proper game and all the players are putting in 100% effort. Don't get duped people, this game is nothing more than that training session. Players won't put themselves on the line, don't want to get injured, don't really care!

You wouldn't pay the same price for the Toronto Indy race on the warm up Friday compared to the actual race day - why would people pay a premium price for a friendly football game?! Looking at the prices for the Roma game, its crazy! And the prices for that Bournmouth game?! That's a joke!

cmonyoureds
07-03-2013, 11:31 AM
I've only ever seen one decent friendly in my life (Oxford V Aston Villa back in 1995 or 1996). Outstanding game just before the start of the premier league season. Villa players were clearly out to try and play themselves into the starting 11, Oxford players doing the same. It was no holds barred and a proper football game.

Apart from that, all friendlies I've seen are clearly just that - a friendly kick about, a glorified training or warm up session. The weird thing is, the people who hardly ever go to real football games live, they think its a proper game and all the players are putting in 100% effort. Don't get duped people, this game is nothing more than that training session. Players won't put themselves on the line, don't want to get injured, don't really care!

You wouldn't pay the same price for the Toronto Indy race on the warm up Friday compared to the actual race day - why would people pay a premium price for a friendly football game?! Looking at the prices for the Roma game, its crazy! And the prices for that Bournmouth game?! That's a joke!

One might argue that thus far this year every team coming to BMO has had an overpriced training game on their schedule also....g:D

brad
07-03-2013, 11:40 AM

I saw a Barca - Newcastle freindly at St James park around 2000-2001. Puyol knocked Shearer out in the first couple of minutes (which made it worth the price of admission alone). They didn't let up at each other from there.

But yes, for the most part friendlies are a training match. That said, with good teams, I find it a treat to watch players of that ability in person. Don't get to see it everyday around here.

Yagbod
07-03-2013, 11:41 AM
Has anyone bought tickets yet? I'm curious if you get your seasons seat or just buy from a pool.

SamK
07-03-2013, 12:34 PM
Has anyone bought tickets yet? I'm curious if you get your seasons seat or just buy from a pool.
Just got mine, they'll be the regular season seats not from a pool.

T-boy
07-03-2013, 12:48 PM
I think we get a set amount of time to book our own seat, then it goes into the pool. I haven't looked much though as I won't be going. The prices seemed a little high for this game though after my quick look.

Yohan
07-03-2013, 01:02 PM
out of curiousity, what's the price for tix for this friendly?

TOBOR !
07-03-2013, 01:21 PM
Friendlies are like a trip to the circus. Lions and Elephants performing tricks, rather than chasing one another about the Serengeti.

Surely no-one goes to the former expecting the latter, but seeing as this is page 9 of the thread no doubt this conclusion has already been reached.

Joe Kool
07-03-2013, 01:25 PM
out of curiousity, what's the price for tix for this friendly?

My supporter section seats came to $29 each or $58 for the pair. Pretty good compared to past friendly prices.

Globetrotter
07-03-2013, 02:22 PM
Friendlies are like a trip to the circus. Lions and Elephants performing tricks, rather than chasing one another about the Serengeti.

I've never seen a lion chase an elephant or vice versa.

Jack
07-03-2013, 02:24 PM
I have an invoice for these in my account manager. I guess if we don't want them we just don't pay the invoice?

Globetrotter
07-03-2013, 02:29 PM
^correct.

and if you only want some of what you have in your account, you need to call them. It will then show up saying you paid X amount and have Y amount outstanding... which you can ignore.

I only bought 3 of my 4 seats; so speaking from experience.

TOBOR !
07-03-2013, 02:46 PM
I've never seen a lion chase an elephant or vice versa.

You've not seen lots of things, I'd imagine.

Globetrotter
07-03-2013, 02:52 PM
You've not seen lots of things, I'd imagine.

I suppose. Maybe when I travel to my 100th country I will have witnessed a few things. Sadly, I've only been to 60, and 58 of those were with my eyes closed.

nancymiranda
07-03-2013, 02:54 PM
My supporter section seats came to $29 each or $58 for the pair. Pretty good compared to past friendly prices.

Not bad at all. Since they never mentioned the price, I thought we would need the vaseline before logging on.

T-boy
07-03-2013, 03:00 PM
I suppose. Maybe when I travel to my 100th country I will have witnessed a few things. Sadly, I've only been to 60, and 58 of those were with my eyes closed.

I wonder where Globetrotter got his name?! :p