PDA

View Full Version : Caldwell Impresses Me

Thomas
06-18-2013, 09:05 PM
How long is Caldwell on loan for? I hope it is until the end of the season. He is very solid and is taking charge in the back.

Fort York Redcoat
06-19-2013, 06:14 AM
If he's on loan it will most likely be till he's called to camp at Birmingham City. Couple months at most. Enjoy while you can.

19Barrett19
06-19-2013, 06:38 AM
Agreed. He has poise and is very calm on the ball, good passer, also has ok pace for mls. He looks dangerous on corners but what I like most about him is he is the ideal cb partner for henry. In every interview he sounds like he wants to be here for a long time we will see I hope he stays

Ivy
06-19-2013, 07:21 AM
Caldwell is on loan until July, just like Brockie. Whether there's an option to extend or purchase at the end is unknown.

BuSaPuNk
06-19-2013, 07:42 AM
Hope there is a chance to have it extended or even purchase Caldwell. He's been a great leader in the back. He's brought that veteran leadership and he can teach our young guys at the back alot about being a soild quite defender.

KGH
06-19-2013, 09:24 AM
Caldwell is on loan until July, just like Brockie. Whether there's an option to extend or purchase at the end is unknown.

Caldwell is on loan until his contract is up at the end of June. Then we can just sign him.

Read more at http://www.bcfc.com/news/article/new-deals-offered-809794.aspx#RKOotS6aLlUx7PEC.99

OgtheDim
06-19-2013, 10:42 AM
Sign him, till the end of next season.

Not sure what to pay him though....

JuliquE
06-19-2013, 11:21 AM

Wouldn't hurt to ask if he'll accept haggis incentives. ^^

[NBF]
06-19-2013, 11:28 AM

32 years old and with plenty of experience and poise. He's good for another 2 seasons. If they paid Caldwell the same as O'Dea, it would be an appropriate salary and you could keep the status quo with O'Dea at left back and the central defense pairing of Caldwell and Agbossoumonde. Henry and Morgan as backups.

Thomas
06-19-2013, 11:41 AM
I'd be OK with paying good money for Caldwell, but not with Ecks and O'Dea still on the books. I think it would be too much of a cap hit with the 3 of them earning top dollar.

T-boy
06-19-2013, 12:11 PM
Sign him till the end of 2014, I think he's worth it.

Island Man
06-19-2013, 06:01 PM
;1591565']32 years old and with plenty of experience and poise. He's good for another 2 seasons. If they paid Caldwell the same as O'Dea, it would be an appropriate salary and you could keep the status quo with O'Dea at left back and the central defense pairing of Caldwell and Agbossoumonde. Henry and Morgan as backups.

Well I seriously hope thats a joke, not only as O'Dea is over paid by a lot but Caldwell doesn't deserve anywhere near that pay either.

Simple
06-19-2013, 06:23 PM
Yeah Caldwell was released by Birmingham, Im certain of this. The formality might mean it's a "loan" but he is no longer a Birmingham player.

burlington Red
06-21-2013, 07:48 PM
I like him also, but there is genuine interest for him from a number of clubs in UK.

Fort York Redcoat
07-02-2013, 10:31 AM
Got him. And Thomas in midfield today.

Now what do we see for the backfield for the rest of the season?

Yohan
07-02-2013, 06:14 PM
Pleased with the signing. Though depends on his salary. 200k and I'd be happy. Would like to see O'Dea and Ecks on a lesser salary and locked down for next few years but at least it looks like we know what the backline will look like for next little while. You can always improve but it doesn't look too bad.

Ivy
07-02-2013, 06:38 PM
Its hard seeing a player from England making 200k, especially when he has offers from other clubs. Hopefully KP has enough brain and connections to "pay" the guy in forms other than cash against the cap.

Richard
07-02-2013, 06:44 PM
So the most expensive defense in the league gets even more pricey, I like the guy but we seriously need to do something about Ecks and Odea. I don't think he is getting paid anything less than 200k.

OgtheDim
07-02-2013, 07:32 PM
Captain next season?

AlanO
07-02-2013, 07:46 PM
Captain next season?
Caldwell seems a lot more level-headed than O'Dea - wouldn't mind seeing him take the armband.

Caldwell's signing gives TFC a decent spine when combined with Laba, Earnshaw and Koevermans. Only one of those guys is under 30, and still need a strong AM, but at least there's some kind of foundation until younger, long-term players can be added.

TOBOR !
07-02-2013, 08:54 PM
I'm thinking of starting up a rival Caldwell thread. It'll be about things to do with Steven Caldwell that don't belong in here. Looking for ideas on what to call it.

Auzzy
07-02-2013, 11:03 PM
I'm thinking of starting up a rival Caldwell thread. It'll be about things to do with Steven Caldwell that don't belong in here. Looking for ideas on what to call it.

Too late, Yohan's already done that: http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showthread.php?34456-Steven-Caldwell-thread

That thread is all level-headed though. Booorrring! ;)

Auzzy
07-02-2013, 11:13 PM
I'm very impressed with Caldwell's physical attributes.

First of all, the guy is 5' 11". Wow shit I figured he was at least 6' 2". He regularly wins headers in crowds, even against much taller attackers. Obviously his jump is awesome, as is his timing & vision.

The other thing, the guy is only 158 pounds supposedly. Holy shit, I actually have a hard time believing that. Must be 99% muscle. I've seen him win physical battles against much bigger/heavier opponents.

denime
07-03-2013, 07:08 AM
Steven Caldwell thread and Caldwell Impresses Me MERGED

Abou Sky
07-03-2013, 07:23 AM
I'm very impressed with Caldwell's physical attributes.

First of all, the guy is 5' 11". Wow shit I figured he was at least 6' 2". He regularly wins headers in crowds, even against much taller attackers. Obviously his jump is awesome, as is his timing & vision.

The other thing, the guy is only 158 pounds supposedly. Holy shit, I actually have a hard time believing that. Must be 99% muscle. I've seen him win physical battles against much bigger/heavier opponents.

There is NO way he is 158lbs

I have a friend who boxes with me and is 5'11" and a very lean 155 and he is skinny as hell. Caldwell has big shoulders, chest and legs, I would peg him around 170-175 if he is 5'11"

If course, he still is likely less than 5% body fat which even for an athlete at 32 is impressive.

I have to wonder about his diet, likely very picky about what he puts into it. Likely not your average Scottish diet ;-)

TOBOR !
07-03-2013, 07:25 AM
Steven Caldwell thread and Caldwell Impresses Me MERGED

I dunno, I could see a case for having two Steven Caldwell threads. I mean, one was about how he has been performing on the pitch while the other was about the fact that he has just signed a two year deal with the club.

These are two completely different discussions about the same person. One thread has nothing to do with the other (except them being about the same person). Now they're just going to bleed into one another, causing confusion.

Folk're going to have a hard time telling whether we're talking about game day performance or value for money. Imagining the cross-posting is doing my head in.

Honestly, I was thinking of starting up a third Steven Caldwell thread about something else to do with Steven Caldwell. I just hadn't come up with a subject yet.

However, if all you're going to do is merge it with this Steven Caldwell thread I don't see the point at all.

Let this be a warning to anyone else out there with Steven Caldwell thread ideas : There be MODs about.

Gazza
07-03-2013, 07:29 AM
I dunno, I could see a case for having two Steven Caldwell threads. I mean, one was about how he has been performing on the pitch while the other was about the fact that he has just signed a two year deal with the club.

These are two completely different discussions about the same person. One thread has nothing to do with the other (except them being about the same person). Now they're just going to bleed into one another, causing confusion.

Folk're going to have a hard time telling whether we're talking about game day performance or value for money. Imagining the cross-posting is doing my head in.

Honestly, I was thinking of starting up a third Steven Caldwell thread about something else to do with Steven Caldwell. I just hadn't come up with a subject yet.

However, if all you're going to do is merge it with this Steven Caldwell thread I don't see the point at all.

Let this be a warning to anyone else out there with Steven Caldwell thread ideas : There be MODs about.

I doubt Steven Caldwell would be impressed by you acquiescing to the man. He might even start a thread about it.

Fort York Redcoat
07-03-2013, 08:36 AM

I think you caused more confusion with this post.

Auzzy
07-03-2013, 09:57 AM
There is NO way he is 158lbs

I have a friend who boxes with me and is 5'11" and a very lean 155 and he is skinny as hell. Caldwell has big shoulders, chest and legs, I would peg him around 170-175 if he is 5'11"

If course, he still is likely less than 5% body fat which even for an athlete at 32 is impressive.

I have to wonder about his diet, likely very picky about what he puts into it. Likely not your average Scottish diet ;-)

Yeah 158 pounds is hard to believe. Frankly I don't really believe the 5' 11" inches either, I think he's taller. Maybe those are Scottish feet & lbs ;) Stats are from here: http://www.mlssoccer.com/players/steven-caldwell