PDA

View Full Version : Message from Tim Leiweke

Oldtimer
06-06-2013, 10:34 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqOrKo8z25E&feature=youtu.be

One could be cynical after all these years, but it sounds like he gets it. Can we believe him?

Brooker
06-06-2013, 10:38 AM
I don't care if it's a message from a magic man in the sky.

Shut the fuck up and show us. I was sick of these videos years ago.

jloome
06-06-2013, 10:40 AM

Meaningless video. Put up or shut up; otherwise, it's just another corporate exec who thinks his secret toastmaster sessions give him an 'edge' at being convincing.

Haddy
06-06-2013, 10:43 AM
Results oriented business. Go get us some positive results, I don't care how.

.....but the optimist inside me is cautiously excited he might be the exec TFC has always needed. Someone who genuinely likes football! Must be dreaming again.

ProfessorDamage
06-06-2013, 10:44 AM
Same old. We've heard all of this before, whether it's from the latest manager or from Anselmi. Until there are outcomes and results, all we have is words.

mastermixer
06-06-2013, 10:48 AM
No offense to us as citizens of Toronto, but it's probably a lot easier to sell Los Angeles to players in any sport. Beckham wanted Hollywood, not the Los Angeles Galaxy.

Regardless, lets see what Mr Leiweke can do.

Fort York Redcoat
06-06-2013, 10:54 AM
There's no winning us over until we're winning is the message I get.

ManUtd4ever
06-06-2013, 10:59 AM
I have all the respect in the world for Tim Lieweke based on his exalted reputation and impressive track record, but I think we have all grown weary of putting any stock in the verbiage and platitudes emanating from the new management regime at MLSE. I'm also in the "show me the money" camp, then I'll get excited.

Carts
06-06-2013, 11:02 AM
There's nothing wrong with him putting this video out there, telling us what he wants to do, has done, and thinks he will do...

There's also nothing wrong with us, the paying fans/supporters from thinking/saying "...been here, heard that - show us results, don't just tell us they're coming..."

It's sounds cheesy but "only time will tell"... One thing is certain, time is running out on the foundation that was here in this city - it's crumbling fast...

Haddy
06-06-2013, 11:06 AM
I have all the respect in the world for Tim Lieweke based on his exalted reputation and impressive track record, but I think we have all grown weary of putting any stock in the verbiage and platitudes emanating from the new management regime at MLSE. I'm also in the "show me the money" camp, then I'll get excited.

Exactly.

Besides, it's not like he'll front a video saying "You know what, we totally blow. And in fact, we'll continue to do so until you idiots stop giving us money." (although sometimes I wonder if MLSE thinks that)

P.S. Love your avatar. I'd prefer that on a third kit.

reggie
06-06-2013, 11:11 AM
at this point i would take 2 wins in a row and the odd game at home where we score more then one goal..
but we are lucky to have TIM...he is a soccer guy,they could of hired some corp guy who has no clue about soccer.
in TIM i trust....

NO PAYNE NO GAIN

Jack
06-06-2013, 11:21 AM
Yeah, basically Tim needs to put up or shut up. We've heard NUMEROUS promises from this organization in the past.

Initial B
06-06-2013, 11:27 AM
"We're going to fix that." - Tim Lieweke, 2013

"We're going to fix this." - Tom Anselmi, 2010

Heard it all before. Will hear it again in about 3 years.

Technorgasm
06-06-2013, 11:27 AM
Im not a cheerleader, and I dont consider myself a a footy N00b. (only a footy NORB lol)

But it comes down to choice.
Either we choose to give people a chance, who have an honest desire to see TFC succeed and are willing to spend (read: sacrifice) part of their carreer to help it do so.
Or we chose to discount any attempt by our questionable owners to improve our situation.

I've said before, I dont go for the product on the field, ebbs and flows, peaks and valleys I go for the lads in the stands.
But it would be nice to win from time to time.

Tim, like all the other folks that have tried will get my support as they attempt to turn things around.

Good luck mate.
trust us. . you bloody need it.

TFC07
06-06-2013, 11:30 AM
Leiweke just officially started his job now!

Right now, I except he will be busy with the Raptors more than TFC or Leafs. I think next summer will see more of Leiweke influence on this club.

Oldtimer
06-06-2013, 11:44 AM

The only difference is that as a suit, Leiweke has more credibility than our favourite engineer.
However, I doubt many will believe anything until/unless the team starts winning, myself included.

He talks about DPs, I don't even care that much if he managed to pick up Messi, we need a good team to start winning.

cmonyoureds
06-06-2013, 11:48 AM
The only thing that video is missing is a plea to keep buying tickets.
This fanbase is so jaded and tired of corporate words and slick marketing videos that anything you put out, other than wins, is a waste of time.

tfcleeds
06-06-2013, 11:48 AM
Talk is cheap. Time for results.

Suds
06-06-2013, 11:55 AM

Well there's the problem. All these years MLSE has been focused on fixing this, when all along they should have been focused on fixing that.

The clarity is blinding!

Anything short of a consistently winning team means nothing at this stage. Even one winning year can be a fluke. In the short tem, give me some free beer coupons every home game so I can stomach the visits to BMO. :)

Sweeper
06-06-2013, 11:59 AM
Leadership starts at the top. It will be interesting to see if the organization responds. It was pretty obvious throughout his term that Anselmi never should have been in charge of TFC or any football club for that matter. He must be good at something.....not really sure why this guy made it so far.

backbeat
06-06-2013, 12:39 PM
Actually I think this is HUGE.

Yes results matter but this guy is the top of the chain - the CEO of MLSE.

It matters a lot that he says he is passionate about the Leafs and Raptors but is VERY passionate about MLS and TFC. There is complete buy-in from the very top of the org re: TFC and where we're headed - imo that is solid. he states that they have to show it and we all agree but to have someone in his position with that committment and passion towards soccer is fantastic imho.

My point being we could very easily have got a 'hockey' guy as the CEO - a Bob McCown type that could care less for scoccer - so again, it is a very big deal - and yes now deliver...

TFC_Allez
06-06-2013, 12:55 PM
talk is cheap. Time for results.
bingo.

SKB
06-06-2013, 01:15 PM
Well, the video is just his way of first contact with the fans. It is just his starting point. However, from an overall view I see some positives. We have always said the front office needs an overhaul. We now have Payne and Leiweke the 2 best football architects in MLS with a track record of success. We have improved coaching, maybe not great but improved. So let's see what they can do over the next 6 months.

Some of the moves Payne made have worked out, Earnshaw, Gale, Laba and some have not worked out "English League Retreads". I have always argued our problem has been in the midfield. We have two pieces of the puzzle with Orosio and Laba. Last game in the first half we had 70% possession of the ball and we played them even in the second half with only 10 men. When is the last time that happened if ever?

The biggest thing the front office has done is clear cap space and cleaned up all the dumb contracts. We now can be active in the summer transfer window and have 2 DP positions open. What the Front Office accomplishes in the next 60 days will be crucial and this is where we will see if they can deliver.

lobo
06-06-2013, 01:16 PM
yep, heard most of that script before, but i do believe Tim is truly passionate about MLS and wanting to make TFC a championship side.

one thing stood out for me in what Tim said ... he basically said he is going to model TFC on LA Galaxy, he said he wants to bring the same attitude and environment from LA to here, and elaborated on spending resources getting DPs. My first thought when hearing that was to question whether that aligns with Payne's plans and goals here. IIRC Payne made similar comments when arriving that he wanted to use DCU as a model and acquire new players in a fiscally responsible manner. Some of you with more knowledge of MLS history can correct me if i'm wrong, but DCU never seemed to rely on DPs and big spending. I'm just concerned that we might have another situation where management is in conflict with each other, one guy wanting to get players on loans and short contracts and build a budget conscious team over time, and another guy ready to open the vault for the aging euro star players for immediate effect.

the other thing is Tim said he wants to come join us in the stands ... and i laughed out loud. love to hear it if it actually happens.

anyways, at this point i just want some stability and improvement and results ... the last thing i want is another round of back stabbing execs and managers with conflicting agendas.

Canary10
06-06-2013, 01:21 PM
^ Payne said that at first, but is he really going to pass up the chance to bring in a possible world class player as a DP? He himself has been saying of late a DP is in the cards. So I don't think there is an issue of competing agendas. I do hope they don't forget you need 11 + quality guys to win, so hopefully they are addressing other areas of the team at the same time.

Ultra & Proud
06-06-2013, 01:34 PM
Thing is that through the first 6 years there were idiots at various levels running the club. Sometimes with idiot(s) at every level right from the field all the way up to Anselmi. What everyone needs to do is what Payne asked for in the beginning of his time; not to forget the first 6 seasons but to look at this new season as a start. I've been through the shit too so I know it's been righteously fucked up since before day 1 but this is the first time ever that when a big time TFC boardroom meeting goes down we've had a decent group of actual Football people with enough league clout and connections to get things done. I see Lieweke as the classic American sports CEO/Owner; do what it takes to win so you can start rolling in the money for years to come.

And as bad as it may be now last year was way worse from front to back. Considering that this season was openly called a rebuild year by everyone involved with the team I'm not sure what people were expecting to happen in the first half of this rebuilding year. It's right about what I expected minus the blowing leads in the 90th as I didn't expect us to have (m)any leads to blow by this stage.

Oldtimer
06-06-2013, 01:41 PM
Some of you with more knowledge of MLS history can correct me if i'm wrong, but DCU never seemed to rely on DPs and big spending. I'm just concerned that we might have another situation where management is in conflict with each other, one guy wanting to get players on loans and short contracts and build a budget conscious team over time, and another guy ready to open the vault for the aging euro star players for immediate effect.

I followed DC before 2007, they were my favourite MLS team.

Payne had to follow a frugal model with DC because the team didn't have deep-pocketed ownership and was losing money playing in crumbling RFK instead of its own SSS. When he was talking about using DC as a model, he didn't mean not spending on DPs, what he meant was intelligent cap management. TFC often overpaid their players, to the detriment of having a quality squad. Payne has proved himself well able to do that. Where Payne has less of a record is in signing high-priced talent, he'll have to prove himself in that.

Where the 2 differ isn't in getting DPs at all, rather Kevin would prefer to get young DPs who you can build a squad around for years to come, whereas Tim would prefer to make a splash with a "Big Name" DP. I'm sure they'll be able to work it out, they do respect each other it seems. Probably we'll get one of each.

nancymiranda
06-06-2013, 01:56 PM
There's no winning us over until we're winning is the message I get.
I think that would make an awesome banner

Big Square piece of material with the words:
To: Tim Leiweke
There's no winning us over until we're winning

With the RPB logo below.

Just a thought.

nancymiranda
06-06-2013, 01:57 PM
[QUOTE=Initial B;1589421]"We're going to fix that." - Tim Lieweke, 2013

Darn..... That would also make a good banner!!!!!

T-boy
06-06-2013, 02:25 PM
Tim wants that "marquee player" to put TFC on the map, and then attract other talent. But there isn't that many players on the "Beckham level" of stardom that we could plausably go after.

Kaka? (He's not Beckham brand level tho). Drogba? Maybe? I don't even know who else?

brad
06-06-2013, 02:36 PM
My stance has not changed on TFC since the end of last season.

I beleive nothing they say, I believe only what I see. I've listen to lip service from the organization for 6 years, I'm done with that now.

That is no condemnation of the people in charge or what they are doing, just a simplified view that I have taken after years of getting my hopes up and then being disappointing.

Canary10
06-06-2013, 02:38 PM
"Tim wants that "marquee player" to put TFC on the map, and then attract other talent. But there isn't that many players on the "Beckham level" of stardom that we could plausably go after."

Kaka? (He's not Beckham brand level tho). Drogba? Maybe? I don't even know who else?

I can't think of a lot of people who we could realistically get, who would create that buzz that gets soccer watching non-TFC fans to go to a game at BMO and who could attract other players. Kaka doesn't for me. Maybe Drogba but he may have lost that with his China fiasco. Tevez would get people to BMO but not sure it would get other players here (although Payne does seem to have something for Argentinian players). I really don't know either.

brad
06-06-2013, 02:39 PM
Tim wants that "marquee player" to put TFC on the map, and then attract other talent. But there isn't that many players on the "Beckham level" of stardom that we could plausably go after.

If that is the quote, it implies attracting other players with the DP, not fans. Player doesn't need to be a household name for that, but someone of quality to show we mean business and make other players want to follow.

Canary10
06-06-2013, 02:46 PM
If we could get a high level player from one of the markets we've been looking at a lot (Argentina, Honduras for example), it might be enough to get other younger, more affordable players to follow.

Ultra & Proud
06-06-2013, 03:06 PM

Kaka isn't near that level really and Drogba is too old now. There aren't any big splash guys like Beckham out there for sure. He was a one of a kind for publicity so it'll have to be a guy on that next peg down like Henry. Because Payne is in the mix too I would assume the player would have to be good as well. Maybe Gerrard, although seemingly a lifer at Anfield, might be just about done at Liverpool. Not sure how long he can continue to play in Rodger's system. Midfield is getting a bit crowded and ran better when he was out with Henderson, Lucas, & Coutinho leading the way.

Also, I think the DP appeal for Lieweke isn't just to lead to better players (and results) coming to TFC but to expand the brand to other markets, drive up advertising costs, and make lotsa cash.

Derko
06-06-2013, 03:25 PM

There really isn't any is there.

The difference between bringing a Beckham type player is it appealed to everyone, Media, Stars,Glamour, Football Fans (like him or not).
Bringing in a Messi, Kaka, Drogba, will only appeal to Football Fans.
Just a thought.

ensco
06-06-2013, 03:28 PM
Anselmi, Cochrane, even Beirne, all own the mess ... and all are still there, Tim.

Ultra & Proud
06-06-2013, 03:34 PM
Anselmi, Cochrane, even Beirne, all own the mess ... and all are still there, Tim.

Beirne basically does little for/with the first team now and Anselmi is so off in the wilderness collecting cheques he probably has no idea TFC's record anymore. Cochrane is still in the mix but as log as they keep him in some cubical in the bowels of BMO crunching numbers utilizing his used car salesmen prowess then he means little to me.

Canary10
06-06-2013, 03:36 PM
Was Beirne not part of the business management side whose ticket pricing practices has eroded the base of the club?

Ultra & Proud
06-06-2013, 03:38 PM
Was Beirne not part of the business management side whose ticket pricing practices has eroded the base of the club?

Yup but that fucks us. Not the first team directly.

Canary10
06-06-2013, 03:40 PM
Yup but that fucks us. Not the first team directly.

Yeah, but they should be looking at the whole picture.

Ivy
06-06-2013, 03:43 PM
CR7 in 7-8 years. The only player who carries an image with people outside of the football world.

Canary10
06-06-2013, 03:45 PM
Gareth Bale. In 10 or so years.

Abou Sky
06-06-2013, 03:50 PM
I know people keep laughing but I think we are going to end up with Rooney.

He fits the bill better than anyone else around right now, only equal would be C. Ronoldo.

Even Lampard (whom I love) wouldn't do the trick. It needs to be someone that pretty much everyone knows whether they watch soccer or not.

Kaka is not that player.

CoachGT
06-06-2013, 03:51 PM
You cannot build a reputation on what you say you are going to do.

spark
06-06-2013, 03:54 PM
Beirne basically does little for/with the first team now and Anselmi is so off in the wilderness collecting cheques he probably has no idea TFC's record anymore. Cochrane is still in the mix but as log as they keep him in some cubical in the bowels of BMO crunching numbers utilizing his used car salesmen prowess then he means little to me.

I'd rather they just get rid of them all. Basically these guys were the cancer and they're just in remission - they'll come back if given the chance.

The weird thing about Anselmi that has me concerned is at the start of the season I've heard first hand about him schmoozing with people (business) re TFC going on how they've got the right guy (Payne) to lead the team, this time they've got it right, etc ... which was either him being a great BS artist that he has any involvement or somehow he is still trying to have his paws on the sports side. I hope it's the former.

v00d00daddy
06-06-2013, 04:02 PM

There is nobody close to Beckham when it comes to being recognized by many.

He's English and the ladies love him and know him because of his wife. There is not another player alive that has that kind of pull.

Sooooooo.....Lieweke needs to find somebody that brings a lot of stardom as well as being a great player that can help. There are plenty of those. Either of the two you mentioned would do just fine.

I'd be hesitant to go with a striker though. He'd never get the service he'd want. A midfield general is the way to go. A Xavi, Iniesta, Pirlo, Kaka, Gerard TYPE.

Not those guys necessarily...but that type of player.

Abou Sky
06-06-2013, 04:15 PM

That is a bit of brilliance there Coach :)

Abou Sky
06-06-2013, 04:17 PM

He's English and the ladies love him and know him because of his wife. There is not another player alive that has that kind of pull.

Sooooooo.....Lieweke needs to find somebody that brings a lot of stardom as well as being a great player that can help. There are plenty of those. Either of the two you mentioned would do just fine.

I'd be hesitant to go with a striker though. He'd never get the service he'd want. A midfield general is the way to go. A Xavi, Iniesta, Pirlo, Kaka, Gerard TYPE.

Ozil? I think with Laba and just about ANYONE up top they could unleash a hail of shots never before seen in MLS

Shakes McQueen
06-06-2013, 04:18 PM

End of discussion.

Nice words from Leiweke, and I even believe he means it. I also thought Anselmi genuinely meant it too. Wanting to deliver the goods isn't the same as delivering the goods.

Take some decisive and successful actions to this effect, and I'll give all the credit in the world. Until then, it's just more words.

- Scott

ag futbol
06-06-2013, 04:34 PM
Here, here. If I could plus rep this I would :D

v00d00daddy
06-06-2013, 04:41 PM
Ozil? I think with Laba and just about ANYONE up top they could unleash a hail of shots never before seen in MLS

Wow..that would be nice. But if we're talking pipe dreams give me Marco Verratti. LOL

MG42
06-06-2013, 04:43 PM
He needs to clean out the TFC office and I don't mean Nelsen or Payne

Pint
06-06-2013, 05:03 PM
To me it seams like he has the desire to win and to turn the team around... similar to what the previous regime had. The big difference this time is i believe we have competent management in place now with TL, and Payne at the helm.

glaze
06-06-2013, 05:03 PM
We knew going in this season was a write-off. Lets just hope the rest of it gives management the information they need to turn things around. I think overall TFC needs to find an identity both on and off the pitch.

Redcoe15
06-06-2013, 05:41 PM
As the late Al Davis once said, "Just win, baby!"

Ultra & Proud
06-06-2013, 05:49 PM
Nice words from Leiweke, and I even believe he means it. I also thought Anselmi genuinely meant it too. Wanting to deliver the goods isn't the same as delivering the goods.

Take some decisive and successful actions to this effect, and I'll give all the credit in the world. Until then, it's just more words.

- Scott
Difference between Lieweke & Anselmi is that Liewke has done what he is promising before and did it well. Anselmi accomplished nothing.

Lieweke just got here and was announced after our season started. He obviously had to take care of the Raptors first as they are a bigger team and now he has all summer to focus on TFC before the Fall brings the Leafs back into the picture. How about at least giving him one transfer window before jumping all over him and his promises?

ag futbol
06-06-2013, 06:13 PM
Nobody is jumping on him, it's just matter-of-fact. He's just the latest in a long line of people to give us an overview of big plans. These were previously cheques written but not cashed. So in terms of feeling graditude I don't think anybody following TFC is going to accept anything but hard currency so to speak.

Promise whatever you want, but results are the bottom line. He'll have time to get those in the long run.

reggie
06-06-2013, 06:30 PM
its true... its all about winning...but the people that are comparing him to the previous stiff or stiffs that were running the club,are out to lunch.
this guy has a track record and he loves soccer,would you guys rather have some corp monkey that will put TFC pg 9 of his agenda,we are lucky to have him.
now get to work TIM...

Shakes McQueen
06-06-2013, 06:33 PM
Difference between Lieweke & Anselmi is that Liewke has done what he is promising before and did it well. Anselmi accomplished nothing.

Lieweke just got here and was announced after our season started. He obviously had to take care of the Raptors first as they are a bigger team and now he has all summer to focus on TFC before the Fall brings the Leafs back into the picture. How about at least giving him one transfer window before jumping all over him and his promises?

I haven't jumped on him at all, or his promises. I've pointed out that until something concrete materializes, it's just that - promises, and words. The stuff he said in this video could have been pulled, almost verbatim, from speeches Anselmi has given to us in the past.

I think Leiweke was a great hire, precisely because of AEG's cumulative track records under his leadership. That doesn't give this speech any more meaning, because it's the same speech we've heard for years. I don't get the warm fuzzies from speeches any more -- I'll be judging his actions.

- Scott

Shakes McQueen
06-06-2013, 06:34 PM
Nobody is jumping on him, it's just matter-of-fact. He's just the latest in a long line of people to give us an overview of big plans. These were previously cheques written but not cashed. So in terms of feeling graditude I don't anybody following TFC is going to accept anything but hard currency so to speak.

Promise whatever you want, but results are the bottom line. He'll have time to get those in the long run.

Precisely.

- Scott

OgtheDim
06-06-2013, 06:53 PM
I admit to being slightly troubled that Leiweke seems to believe that recreating the LA Galaxy is the goal.

What he would do better to be saying, and what I think is actually being worked on, is that creating a long term dynasty, involving DP's and a strategy, like was done in LA and in DC, is the goal.

Regardless, it will take time. But, expect a big name European signing this summer, although not necessarily a DP. I still have my fantasy of Iniesta, who would draw players and crowds and would be the best player in this continent since Pele. But, really, we'll have to see.

Ivy
06-06-2013, 06:56 PM
I laugh at the names being thrown around these forums...

BuSaPuNk
06-06-2013, 06:57 PM
^ me too seems we're the new City or United.

At least he didn't take out a full page spread in the paper that's seems to be a MLSE MO.

Ivy
06-06-2013, 07:06 PM
^ me too seems we're the new City or United.

At least he didn't take out a full page spread in the paper that's seems to be a MLSE MO.

Haven't seen tomorrow's Toronto Sun yet.

gate7
06-06-2013, 07:14 PM

bang on brother..

BuSaPuNk
06-06-2013, 07:21 PM
Haven't seen tomorrow's Toronto Sun yet.

True true lol

Marc"2L"
06-06-2013, 07:51 PM
CR7 in 7-8 years. The only player who carries an image with people outside of the football world.

Sooner then that if it happens.

Ivy
06-06-2013, 08:05 PM
Beckham got a deal at PSG at 38 years old... they were willing to extend it
you dont think CR7 will be back to get anything better than MLS at 35? Im not a fan of either of those pretty boys, but I think Ronaldo is a much better player than Beckham ever was.

Cashcleaner
06-07-2013, 02:58 AM
In all honesty, despite what some are saying this video isn't exactly what we've heard before. At least not to my ears.

Whereas Tom Anselmi and others speaking on behalf of the club utilized a lot of caveats and non-committal wording (we're going to try to do this or we want to do that), Tim tended to speak more concisely and confronted the issues more directly.

I'm certainly not saying his word should mean any more to us by all this - I'm firmly in the "talk is cheap" camp; but the message and it's delivery is definitely a change (albeit small) from what we've seen and heard before.

ensco
06-07-2013, 06:31 AM
^So, Leiweke looking better in a promotional video than Anselmi did. That's a low bar.

You're making the case that he is better at performing. Said another way, he's better at pretending.

Yay.

Payne is suffering from the same thing, the need to be constantly "messaging" (the scourge of our times).

Enough.

Oldtimer
06-07-2013, 07:28 AM
It took two years to land Beckham, I seriously doubt we'll see a Big Name this transfer window. Maybe we'll get one of Payne's young DPs, but getting a current Big Name will take time.
EDIT: I'm assuming here Koevs is gone next year.

OgtheDim
06-07-2013, 07:52 AM
The names being thrown out are based on what both Payne and Leiweke have said - the best player in MLS and like a Beckham. If none of it pans out, oh well. But it beats life with short pants.

bones
06-07-2013, 08:05 AM
When I hear "bring in a big name and that may attract better players" my mind can't help but to think it could translate to "let's get a massive name in to sell merchandise, fill the stadium, create a buzz, improve the TFC brand, get an advertising deal to pay for the big player, increase ticket prices back to higher profit margins....and maybe win more games".

I just can't believe ML$E will keep the "reset to beginning" ticket prices the same for very long. They WILL have to start increasing ticket prices again sometime and they need to tag that increase on something.

Canary10
06-07-2013, 08:28 AM
I say forget about the DP for this year. We're way off playoff pace, what's the point? I would just go with the team we have right now. With all the short term loans, players in and out, we lack consistency in our starting 11. And I don't blame guys for putting in less than 100% while the turnstile is going. If I were Nelsen I would tell the guys we have now they are the team from here out, we have the confidence in them, and go with them. Make the odd change if something presents itself, but stick with these guys now. Look at the DPs for next season.

Ultra & Proud
06-07-2013, 08:38 AM
I say forget about the DP for this year. We're way off playoff pace, what's the point? I would just go with the team we have right now. With all the short term loans, players in and out, we lack consistency in our starting 11. And I don't blame guys for putting in less than 100% while the turnstile is going. If I were Nelsen I would tell the guys we have now they are the team from here out, we have the confidence in them, and go with them. Make the odd change if something presents itself, but stick with these guys now. Look at the DPs for next season.

I'd be still looking for a young DP like Lopez for sure. That's actually all I think we should be looking at for now but if they want a huge splash one then I would only go for it if all the pieces just lined up and there was no choice but to act now.

Haddy
06-07-2013, 08:47 AM
I just can't believe ML$E will keep the "reset to beginning" ticket prices the same for very long. They WILL have to start increasing ticket prices again sometime and they need to tag that increase on something.

You're right. Not to mention the upcoming CBA negotiations and potential salary cap adjustment.

bones
06-07-2013, 09:22 AM
You're right. Not to mention the upcoming CBA negotiations and potential salary cap adjustment.

With the 2nd NY team coming they're going to have to increase the cap so that NY can spend more to get it's base and then spend retarded money on it's DP's to be instantly potential champions.

Suds
06-07-2013, 09:25 AM
With the 2nd NY team coming they're going to have to increase the cap so that NY can spend more to get it's base and then spend retarded money on it's DP's to be instantly potential champions.

Good point. NY is a massive market for MLS and I'm sure they will do what they can to make significant inroads into it.

BuSaPuNk
06-07-2013, 09:36 AM
^ For sure MLS and Garber will be running the ship to allow NY2 to be a powerhouse out if the gate. I would expect them to changes the rules of the game ala LA bringing in Becks.

ensco
06-07-2013, 09:47 AM

+1. Nicely put.

leafsman
06-07-2013, 09:53 AM
I would get the DP now, that way he has the rest of the season to get use to the mls and can develop some chemistry with laba if its an AM signed.

Yagbod
06-07-2013, 10:12 AM
Everything they do at this point will have an eye to the next season seat renewal. While not getting a DP now makes sense from a team perspective they need something to hang their hat on when it comes to pushing seasons seats at the end of the year. I guarantee some sort of washed up big name will be making an appearance later this summer.

If they do not get a 'washed up big name' or better they will have nothing to use to sell tickets. And that is the bottom line for them.

Hitcho
06-07-2013, 10:50 AM
It bothers me that he seems to think he can "fix" TFC by bringing in a ridiculously famous DP level player.

He can't. There's a lot, lot more to fix than that, on the pitch and off it.

Until the FO grasps hold of that fact, we're not going to move forward.

cmonyoureds
06-07-2013, 10:55 AM
It bothers me that he seems to think he can "fix" TFC by bringing in a ridiculously famous DP level player.

He can't. There's a lot, lot more to fix than that, on the pitch and off it.

Until the FO grasps hold of that fact, we're not going to move forward.

Oh it fixes TFC all right.
Fixes price increases.
Fixes merchandise.
Fixes ticket renewals.
Fixes profit margins.

Shame none of that matters to us though........

Abou Sky
06-07-2013, 08:54 PM
Ok, so when do we make a 'Welcome Fearless Leader' banner with TL on it ;)

brad
06-07-2013, 10:15 PM
I know people keep laughing but I think we are going to end up with Rooney.

He fits the bill better than anyone else around right now, only equal would be C. Ronoldo.

Has two more years to run on his contract - the transfer fee being talked about is £30 million. He is on a reported £250k/week, we'd need to pay more than that to get him to leave the top of the game and Champions League football behind (if he would even consider). I just don't see it happening.

brad
06-07-2013, 10:23 PM

Yaya Toure - cant think of a single better DP for this league. Rooney would be up there though. Can score, can bring others into the game, strong as hell and good at dropping deep to pick up possession when not getting service. Neither would come though.

Not sure a forward would be a waste though. Look at what Danny K was doing when fit. Banging them in for fun with no service. But I'd prefer a midfielder like you mentioned.

brad
06-07-2013, 10:28 PM
The names being thrown out are based on what both Payne and Leiweke have said - the best player in MLS and like a Beckham. If none of it pans out, oh well. But it beats life with short pants.

Kaka is really the only player I can think of that fits the bill and is actually feasible. Shame he's crocked...

brad
06-07-2013, 10:30 PM
I predict changes to make it easier for clubs to spend their own $$$ on transfer fees.

brad
06-07-2013, 10:33 PM

All depends on player availability. "Best in the league" class DP's don't grow on trees. If they have a chance To snag a player of that magnitude now, they might as well because you might not have the chance next year. I'd still rather see us build a team up first though.

Hitcho
06-10-2013, 12:52 PM
Oh it fixes TFC all right.
Fixes price increases.
Fixes merchandise.
Fixes ticket renewals.
Fixes profit margins.

Shame none of that matters to us though........

This also worries me. I'd likely dump my tickets to avoid the massive price hikes. I also couldn't stand the hordes of celebrity seekers and screaming girls turning up for reasons other than watching TFC.

cmonyoureds
06-11-2013, 10:40 AM
This also worries me. I'd likely dump my tickets to avoid the massive price hikes. I also couldn't stand the hordes of celebrity seekers and screaming girls turning up for reasons other than watching TFC.

What really, really, really scares me in the long term is that they may be forced to realize the "die hards" have been treated so badly that even winning doesn't bring them and their wallets back full time.

At that point Tim's mandate goes from winning = $'s to just plain old get the dollars in, which leads to big name donkey's for ticket sales and stupid promotions to fill seats, regardless of what's on the field.

TFC07
06-11-2013, 10:49 AM
I am loving the fact we got someone in charge who thinks big and bold. Mr. Leiweke has my full support.

BuSaPuNk
06-11-2013, 11:32 AM
What really, really, really scares me in the long term is that they may be forced to realize the "die hards" have been treated so badly that even winning doesn't bring them and their wallets back full time.

At that point Tim's mandate goes from winning = $'s to just plain old get the dollars in, which leads to big name donkey's for ticket sales and stupid promotions to fill seats, regardless of what's on the field.

So ala the Jays. They were never going to be competitive this year. Was a marketing ploy to create revenue that they havnt seen in years.

Shakes McQueen
06-11-2013, 12:12 PM
He has my attention. His actions will decide whether he has my support.

- Scott

Carts
06-11-2013, 12:51 PM

Based on the current on field product & results - this would make going to BMO way better in my books! :p

billyfly
06-11-2013, 01:25 PM
I miss all the pretty tourists in 112

OgtheDim
06-11-2013, 03:58 PM
I miss all the pretty tourists in 112

They are all at Jays games. In by the 3rd inning. Out by the 8th.

Seriously though, the demographics of a Jays game is a lot healthier for the future of their team then for TFC. Much younger crowd, and far more females. If I was Leiweke and at those two games, I'd be doing a comparison and not looking at the TFC demographics favourably. I'm not sure where that goes, but it is noticeable that the Blue Jays can get 38K on a Friday night for a pretty useless game and TFC can't get 16K for a useless game.

Derko
06-12-2013, 08:21 AM
I honestly think that if TFC starts to have more success, and more quality, the supporters whom are a bit jaded right now will file back into there seats, and the 'Fickle' fans will also return.

My Meaning:

fick·le /ˈfikəl/

Adjective

Changing frequently, esp. as regards one's loyalties, interests, or affection.

Marc"2L"
06-12-2013, 11:27 AM
I honestly think that if TFC starts to have more success, and more quality, the supporters whom are a bit jaded right now will file back into there seats, and the 'Fickle' fans will also return.

My Meaning:

fick·le /ˈfikəl/

Adjective

Changing frequently, esp. as regards one's loyalties, interests, or affection.

What I would hope is that there is little strife caused when they do come back. I couldn't blame anybody for tuning out after what happened at the start of last year, or the year before.

Derko
06-12-2013, 11:58 AM
What I would hope is that there is little strife caused when they do come back. I couldn't blame anybody for tuning out after what happened at the start of last year, or the year before.

Yep, just takes some serious business on the field, be competitve and give a shit

Brooker
06-12-2013, 04:15 PM

There is not another player alive that has that kind of pull.

Dave Kitson

cmonyoureds
06-24-2013, 03:05 PM
So ala the Jays. They were never going to be competitive this year. Was a marketing ploy to create revenue that they havnt seen in years.

Just thought I'd bump your post.............couldn't resist. g:D

19Barrett19
06-24-2013, 03:15 PM
Just thought I'd bump your post.............couldn't resist. g:D

love it!

BuSaPuNk
06-24-2013, 03:24 PM
Season still has alot left they will hit there usual august slide. If not hey i'll be happy i am a Jays fan just don't see this team turning around in 1 offseason.

Initial B
06-24-2013, 03:50 PM
The Jays have the talent - they just needed time for the individual units to mesh with the core players from last year. When you think about it, you could say TFC is very similar to the the Jays. The main difference is that KP had no talent and no core to build around from last year except Ecks, Henry, Morgan, Silva and O'Dea. Pretty much everything had to be constructed from scratch and it takes a lot longer for a team to gel than most fans believe.

Derko
06-24-2013, 04:18 PM
The Jays have the talent - they just needed time for the individual units to mesh with the core players from last year. When you think about it, you could say TFC is very similar to the the Jays. The main difference is that KP had no talent and no core to build around from last year except Ecks, Henry, Morgan, Silva and O'Dea. Pretty much everything had to be constructed from scratch and it takes a lot longer for a team to gel than most fans believe.

Agreed