PDA

View Full Version : Who has been TFC's most overrated/underwhelming player ever?

Damien
05-30-2013, 07:26 AM
...by overrated I mean underwhelming.

Fort York Redcoat
05-30-2013, 07:34 AM
Ruiz. Who is unbelievably still playing at D.C. Presently 9th All-time leading scorer in MLS.

Cunningham is a close second being the number one scorer in MLS history and doing very little for us.

next

Voodooman
05-30-2013, 09:04 AM
For me it has to be Mista, this guy had so much talk about him coming in, and he was awful.

Jack
05-30-2013, 09:15 AM
For me it has to be Mista, this guy had so much talk about him coming in, and he was awful.
The funny thing is, he had been pretty bad ever since he left Valencia.

For me, the most disappointing may just be JDG. A DP who had been a top player on a pretty good team in Spain should have done more, but he just seemed to run out of gas here.

Ultra & Proud
05-30-2013, 10:07 AM
Avila easy. Going by what a lot of supporters say he should be a DP or something as he is God's gift to possession football.

gdg_9
05-30-2013, 10:09 AM
Definitely Mista... has to be one of (if not THE) worst DP in league history!

Dreadlocks
05-30-2013, 10:10 AM
I'd say stevanovic. So much potential and skill but NO brain. Not a dumb guy or a dumb player at all but just could not get his head on while with TFC. Could have been one of the best!

Just like this entire franchise - SO frustrating.

ManUtd4ever
05-30-2013, 10:15 AM
Mista without a doubt. At least JDG showed flashes of brilliance during his tenure.

Jack
05-30-2013, 10:19 AM
I can't say I ever expected anything from Mista, so I wasn't really disappointed by him. That was a mind-bogglingly stupid signing.

Brooker
05-30-2013, 11:00 AM
Mista gets a pass because of his goal against Cruz Azul.

Ruiz. What a debacle.

TFC07
05-30-2013, 11:04 AM
Hands down it has to be JDG.

BuSaPuNk
05-30-2013, 11:19 AM
Overall I have to say JDG. There was so much hype when he arrived it was like the second coming of Jesus. (I was guilty of it too :( ) but there have been a bunch Mista, Vitti, Stevanovic.

I think we tend to get worked up about new players a little too much lol

C.Ronaldo
05-30-2013, 11:52 AM
no ANDY WELSH?

laurent showed us his talent, the league just showed him how they cant keep up.

Our one true kicker taker (and maybe gueverra)

__wowza
05-30-2013, 12:29 PM
JDG at least had a few games.
Mista came in to more fanfare and didn't even have ONE.

Stouffville_RPB
05-30-2013, 12:34 PM
JDG and it isn't close. Guy was the 1st DP in club history and never met the expectations anyone had for him. Still managed to play 3 seasons for the club while getting named captain.

P.S. Are we still waiting for Ibby to break out into a star?

tfcleeds
05-30-2013, 12:39 PM
Almost picked Mista, but the scary thing is, he was already on the downward slope of his career by the time he joined us (and left us at the age of 31!!!) so hardly had any expectations.

v00d00daddy
05-30-2013, 12:40 PM
Underwhelming: Mista (no bang for a huge buck)
Overrated: Brennan/Robinson. (No business being on a wall of honour)

BuSaPuNk
05-30-2013, 12:53 PM

That is true. I'm hoping we were smart enough to let Mista go, however I'm sure if he wanted to stay our FO would have kept him.

I just couldn't stand JDGs lack of effort sometimes. There were a lot of the time he would look like he's coasting. Truely turned me off the idea of DPs for a while.

PopePouri
05-30-2013, 01:14 PM
To be fair to Mista, he retired shortly after due to injury which affected his game.

GlenM
05-30-2013, 01:17 PM
Mista = Gold Dust

Looks great for one second and poof away it goes.

GlenM

MartinUtd
05-30-2013, 01:21 PM
Voted JDG, although OBW was a near choice for me. No, I didn't expect him to score goals ala that one national team game, but I did expect him to set up plays a lot more consistently and when he did go for goal, I didn't expect him to put it in the 23rd row every time (okay, that was misguided on my part).

Maybe it's just the flavour of the month thing, but you could almost add John Bostock to that list.

brad
05-30-2013, 03:05 PM

Didn't Mista have a good game against Cruz Azul at BMO?

__wowza
05-30-2013, 04:16 PM
Didn't Mista have a good game against Cruz Azul at BMO?

one goal which resulted in a "2-NIL! EVEN MISTA SCORED!" chant doesn't constitute a good game for me.

Couchy81
05-30-2013, 08:10 PM

Agreed.

Bad signing yes. Clutch goal for TFC yes. Don't hate the playa hate the management.

I voted Ruiz. I really want to say JDG but it's gotta be someone who did zero. I almost went with Stevanovich.

Chevy
05-30-2013, 08:21 PM

Ruiz. What a debacle.

Agreed on giving Mista a pass, but I have to go with JDG.

gate7
05-31-2013, 01:01 AM
good thread.... anyone wish to start a 'best signing ever' poll?

Fort York Redcoat
05-31-2013, 07:47 AM

That sounds like it could be taken sarcastically. I'd go with "Who's TFC's best signing so far?"

brad
05-31-2013, 08:32 AM
one goal which resulted in a "2-NIL! EVEN MISTA SCORED!" chant doesn't constitute a good game for me.

I seem to recall that he had a good all around game. Memory might be off here though.

brad
05-31-2013, 08:34 AM

It should look something like

DeRo
Other

:)

Canary10
05-31-2013, 08:44 AM
I'd say Danny Koevermans and other.

PopePouri
05-31-2013, 08:46 AM
I seem to recall that he had a good all around game. Memory might be off here though.

Probably the best first half TFC has ever played. Even Saric scored!

Voodooman
05-31-2013, 09:48 AM
Haha maybe we can do another one for overrated, since the list I feel would be completely different if we just did who is overrated on TFC..if there really was such a thing.

Ultra & Proud
05-31-2013, 09:54 AM
Voted JDG, although OBW was a near choice for me. No, I didn't expect him to score goals ala that one national team game, but I did expect him to set up plays a lot more consistently and when he did go for goal, I didn't expect him to put it in the 23rd row every time (okay, that was misguided on my part).

Maybe it's just the flavour of the month thing, but you could almost add John Bostock to that list.

OBW is also a good choice. I forgot about him.

Canary10
05-31-2013, 09:55 AM
Andrea Lombardo would be my pick. When he stepped out on the pitch with flowing locks and hair band I thought, "this guy looks the part of a spectacular footballer." Unfortunately I was proven very wrong.

Damien
05-31-2013, 09:56 AM
Best pickups in TFC history....
DeRo
Guevara
Koevermans
Frei

...and possibly Andrea Lombardo!!

Canary10
05-31-2013, 10:03 AM
http://manbands.co.uk/index.html

TOBOR !
05-31-2013, 10:10 AM
man... it's impossible to choose one player who failed to live up to expectations on a team that continues to fail to live up to expectations, but I have to go with JDG if not just for his outrageous salary. All the others were better value for money.

My greatest disappointment was the failure of the Aron Winter era to fulfill it's potential, but that was just another symptom of the overall disease.

Brooker
05-31-2013, 01:27 PM
I'd say Danny Koevermans and other.

http://www.teenblab.com/assets/images/wtf_gif_urkel.gif

Am I in the right thread?

Canary10
05-31-2013, 01:43 PM
^ If the thread was about best signing eva....

http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt192/djeumdewq/larry-david-stare-down-okay.gif

OgtheDim
05-31-2013, 06:44 PM
...Overrated: Brennan/Robinson. (No business being on a wall of honour)

Yup....couldn't stand Robinson and Brennan was liked because he was a Canuck NT who used to play in the UK.

Ivy
05-31-2013, 08:23 PM
Julio Cesar.

__wowza
05-31-2013, 10:00 PM

if i remember it correctly i think it was one goal, one effort off the post.
compared to every other game he's played with us, it was a lighthouse in a sea of shite.

gate7
05-31-2013, 10:13 PM
It should look something like

DeRo
Other

:)

Bingo!!

gate7
05-31-2013, 10:16 PM
Julio Cesar.

true......

notthesun
05-31-2013, 11:31 PM
JDG, then Mista, but honorable mention to Miguel Aceval. The football equivalent to baseball's designated hitter in that if he's doing anything other than taking free kicks, he shouldn't be on the field.

ginkster88
06-01-2013, 03:35 PM
Fuad.

Cashcleaner
06-03-2013, 12:32 PM
I can't say I ever expected anything from Mista, so I wasn't really disappointed by him. That was a mind-bogglingly stupid signing.

Same here. Well...kinda. I had hopes for Mista, but looking back at his stats at the time, there was not much to be excited about. There's been quite a few players bright in that I think the fans completely over-hyped.

JDG to me is one of the few that were a legitimate let-down because he really should have made a larger impact. And I guarantee if JDG wasn't stinking things up as much as he did and getting a DP salary for doing so, Dwayne DeRosario wouldn't have been as resentful toward the club.

69Chevy396
06-03-2013, 04:58 PM
The funny thing is, he had been pretty bad ever since he left Valencia.

For me, the most disappointing may just be JDG. A DP who had been a top player on a pretty good team in Spain should have done more, but he just seemed to run out of gas here.
For me, JDG was the worst signing, because at a time when the team was showing gradual improvement this over paid mediocre talent led to a complete dismantling and departure of better players because somebody in mgmt thought he would "tear the league apart" . Cronin was made expendable but was, and remains, the superior player.

FluSH
06-05-2013, 07:54 PM
Andy Welsh!

i kid... JDG

Haddy
06-07-2013, 07:10 AM
JDG

Based solely on salary to performance ratio.....he doesn't just take the cake. He eats it all in front of us and then gives us the finger.

Not to mention his inability to stay mum on his lil' brother's ambitions. But that's another story outside of TFC.

BuSaPuNk
06-07-2013, 07:55 AM
JDG

Based solely on salary to performance ratio.....he doesn't just take the cake. He eats it all in front of us and then gives us the finger

I thought Samuel ate all the pies? Must have been some leftovers.

Haddy
06-07-2013, 08:05 AM
i thought samuel ate all the pies? Must have been some leftovers.

who ate all the pies??!!!

Rossiroo
06-08-2013, 06:40 AM
Welsh

Oranje
06-09-2013, 05:40 PM
Geovanny Caicedo

__wowza
06-09-2013, 09:07 PM
Fuad.

http://i.imm.io/18PxB.png

ensco
06-09-2013, 09:16 PM
This is the kind of thread that just makes me feel bad for ever getting involved with this team.

So many choices.

ag futbol
06-09-2013, 10:03 PM
Diaz Kanbere. Played one game as a Rick Titus style sub-in, he might have been the worst professional soccer player I have ever seen. No skill, headless chicken, the whole works..

I know it's hard to say a guy with this profile was the most underwhelming, but I think they could have drawn a random person out of the stands at halftime and they probably would have done a similar job.

He was that bad.

jabbronies
06-09-2013, 10:12 PM
I chose Rickets. He was the most Overrated by supporters for sure.

Most Underwhelming would have to be Mista. That guy really did nothing at all! At least JDG scored a goal. Made a couple passes here and there. Mista did nothing!

OgtheDim
06-10-2013, 12:37 PM
Diaz Kanbere.

He was that bad.

So bad he has his own highlight reel on Youtube.

The same play is shown 5 times, where he beats one man and rushes towards the goal - doesn't show him losing the ball because he let it get ahead of him.

That's 30 seconds of my life I'm not getting back.

Damien
06-10-2013, 12:50 PM
I think the direction of this thread is going towards "Players who were crap" rather than "players who were expected to be good, but were crap"

Voodooman
06-10-2013, 01:03 PM
Thats why the thread is still continuing...there are a lot of players to talk about than.

Carts
06-11-2013, 09:26 AM
I think the direction of this thread is going towards "Players who were crap" rather than "players who were expected to be good, but were crap"

LOL... The common denominator here makes me sad...

Joe Kool
06-11-2013, 10:08 AM
who ate all the pies??!!!

I thought that name was shared by Colin "who ate all the pies" Samuel and Ali "who ate all the pies" Gerba.

When I read the title of the thread my first thought, for whatever reason, went to Ali Gerba so that's who I voted for...Other. But you have to admit we have a pretty distinguished list. Mista I would say got the most massive ovations for showing us nothing. Every time he was going to take a corner everyone was on their feet cheering. He just didn't produce anything for us but got these massive cheers that I will always remember....for nothing. I guess we wanted to believe so bad that he was going to make a difference that we got excited to see him play. What a joke. He wouldn't get that these days in BMO.

trane
06-12-2013, 06:32 AM
^ Gebra is a goal poaching CF and who finishes with good service. He was expected to create for himself and had no service. Bringing him in and asking him to play in a mAnner that does not suite his strenghs was like bringing him an attack minded fb and asking him to play cb.

gate7
06-15-2013, 12:01 AM
TFC should hire magicians to play.^^

Parkdale
07-10-2013, 09:30 PM
mista was a total zero, but hasli hurt more. I really, REALLY wanted hasli to work.

Heart of Stone
07-11-2013, 09:52 AM
I voted for JDG because his career here was like one long embarrassing incident that you wanted to turn away from because it was so pathetic (at times I actually felt sorry for him). However, there have been plenty of other players that have contributed to our overall shittiness as a competitive sports team.

MartinUtd
07-11-2013, 11:15 AM
mista was a total zero, but hasli hurt more. I really, REALLY wanted hasli to work.

I've gotta say I felt quite the opposite in this case. Other than Hassli I typically want all players to work out but with him I knew what we were getting: A fat, injury prone, cry baby. He met my expectations perfectly.

Soccer Mom
07-15-2013, 01:56 PM
I think Duane Dero was the best and the worst would have to be Jeff Cunningham.

miker
07-23-2013, 02:06 PM
I say Carlos Ruiz because he did less than nothing, despite great stats. Never did understand the hatred for Mista, though. I recall him as the guy with just about the best touch I've ever seen from a TFC player. His assist to Maicon Santos in his first game - against Bolton Wanderers - was one of the prettiest goals TFC has ever scored. And he was arguably the best player on the field against Cruz Azul in one of our biggest wins. It was the first time I ever saw that kind of shape and distribution moving forward ... and it collapsed when he was subbed off. Next game, against Red Bulls, he was definitely the best man out there and just about every pass from him was a beauty. Then Preki pulls him at the half and it was never the same again. I think it was a case of hiring a guy who played a style of soccer we didn't play.