PDA

View Full Version : TFC FO and tonights Canada - Costa Rica game

A Stick
05-28-2013, 08:19 PM
Ok Folks;

I wonder if a Toronto FC scout(s) is at tonight's game? There are a number of Canadians that are out of contract playing and don't tell me there might be 1 or 2 Costa Ricans that could helps us out. If I find out they did not send anyone, we are really doomed for another 2 years! :facepalm:

TFC07
05-28-2013, 08:22 PM
TFC should look to sign Bonsu

SamK
05-28-2013, 08:24 PM
TFC should look to sign Bonsu
I was thinking he is worth another look. But who knows if he always plays like that with good intensity, I've rarely seen him play

TFC07
05-28-2013, 08:28 PM
I was thinking he is worth another look. But who knows if he always plays like that with good intensity, I've rarely seen him play

True. But at least he's worth a look.

ensco
05-28-2013, 08:38 PM
I like that number 6

jazzy
05-28-2013, 08:39 PM
is there a reason that our boring coach can't make some changes try everyone,.......same old same old.......maybw we can bore the teams to death with our minor league coaching

jabbronies
05-28-2013, 08:52 PM
Canada are shit. If there's a player out of contract on this team, it's probably because they are shit and no other team wants them (E.G. Julian DeGuzman). I hope TFC don't waste their scouting budget on this game.

TFC07
05-28-2013, 08:56 PM
Canada are shit. If there's a player out of contract on this team, it's probably because they are shit and no other team wants them (E.G. Julian DeGuzman). I hope TFC don't waste their scouting budget on this game.

Huh? Canada looked much better in this game compare to previous games recently. Besides, these guys don't regularly play with each other compare to Costa Rica. So it's harder for Canada to develop some chemistry. But that being said, TFC players have looked good in this game especially Bekker.

BuSaPuNk
05-28-2013, 09:01 PM
All of our boys have looked good tonight. Osorio wasn't on for long enough to really get going.

I agree about Bonsu. Guys a beast. Quick on the wings great touch.

I'm just amazed how well Bekker is playing. Nelsen take note if he's not starting your not watching. When have we ever had such good distribution on set peices?

werewolf
05-28-2013, 09:04 PM
Bonsu has a poor reputation in Germany, lazy, lack of focus, undisciplined.

BuSaPuNk
05-28-2013, 09:07 PM
Wonder if a change of scenery would help him?

TFC07
05-28-2013, 09:08 PM
Wonder if a change of scenery would help him?

I think he always been like that. However, I don't mind giving him a trial at least. TFC needs talented and athletic players.

BuSaPuNk
05-28-2013, 09:14 PM
Yeah bringing him in for a look doesn't hurt plus he'd probably like the training being out a team right now. Might be a win win or both sides. If we could get him to focus and play like he did tonight will only help us.

Richard
05-28-2013, 09:26 PM

You scout the real talent, Costa Rica.

gdg_9
05-28-2013, 10:01 PM
After watching some of Bekker's set pieces and service into the box from out wide today... and considering how terrible TFC is on the wing, how is he not getting more time there???

Surely he offers more than Lambe!

Yohan
05-28-2013, 10:04 PM
After watching some of Bekker's set pieces and service into the box from out wide today... and considering how terrible TFC is on the wing, how is he not getting more time there???

Surely he offers more than Lambe!
because Bekker sucks at dribbling. wide midfielder, ok. winger, no.

I think Nelsen wants wingers

Bekker had an ok game, but Costa Rica gave him more time than normal in comparison to MLS teams for Bekker to think about what to do. Bekker makes good decisions when he has time to think, but not so much when he's under the pressure.

Greatest Ripoff
05-29-2013, 08:23 AM

What are you on about? We are a team in Canada that has to play Canadian players. Would it not make sense to try to get the best of the players we have to play? Seriously, this statement just looks ignorant.

Ultra & Proud
05-29-2013, 08:48 AM
Meh. The only positive Bonsu would bring over what we have now if that he actually runs at defenders. Always remember that as a player coming from Europe he would probably be looking for more money than someone of his present caliber is worth ($100K+).

Now if he would come for a trial and be willing to play on the cheap, as in real cheap then fine.

Canary10
05-29-2013, 08:52 AM
because Bekker sucks at dribbling. wide midfielder, ok. winger, no.

I think Nelsen wants wingers

Bekker had an ok game, but Costa Rica gave him more time than normal in comparison to MLS teams for Bekker to think about what to do. Bekker makes good decisions when he has time to think, but not so much when he's under the pressure.

I think he wants wide midfielders, not true wingers. I think he prefers variations on straight out 4-4-2.

T-boy
05-29-2013, 10:16 AM
I didn't actually think Bekker had a very good game. He drifts in and out far too often. I'm not quite sure what his strengths are just yet. His set pieces got better through the game, but were poor to start with. He's definitely along term project rather than a regular MLS starter at this point.

KGH
05-29-2013, 10:27 AM
How did Morgan play? I didn't have a chance to watch but did he play respectfully?

If we can get him back to form then we can stop playing O'Dea out of position

Suds
05-29-2013, 10:32 AM
How did Morgan play? I didn't have a chance to watch but did he play respectfully?

If we can get him back to form then we can stop playing O'Dea out of position

I think Morgan played better than he has for TFC this year. Still inconsistant with his crosses. Had some nice crosses and and some very poor ones. At times when defending he closed down very quickly and stopped an attacking cross followed by not closing down quickly and allowing a cross.

I still think Morgan has all the tools to be a MLS regular player. Situational awareness and consistency are the things I think he needs to focus on.

spark
05-29-2013, 10:37 AM
I didn't actually think Bekker had a very good game. He drifts in and out far too often. I'm not quite sure what his strengths are just yet. His set pieces got better through the game, but were poor to start with. He's definitely along term project rather than a regular MLS starter at this point.

I agree with this (and Yohan) - he had some very good moments - two came to mind, the FK at the end of the first half Hainault should have buried, and the beautiful low cross into the advancing attack at the end of the game. In between there were some really poor free kicks and that is part of the problem IMO is that coming out of BC that was supposed to be his big strength - set piece delivery, and it's been really hit and miss. The rest of his game I thought was ok but unless I misses something outside of the two plays noted there wasn't too much else of influence.

Morgan definitely played better than what we've seen here for the last month or so, but still has to pick it up a bit. He had some nice 1v1 work down the wing sending in crosses, but I thought down the final minutes he was disappointing as he was easily marked out of delivering the ball by the Costa Rican defender.

Corpand
05-29-2013, 10:58 AM
Bonsu is extremely raw, he looks like a phenom but has absolute Walcott syndrome. He's an athlete, not a footballer. Some of his touches were ok but I was watching his movement, he never really managed to show for the ball. Three spectacular "runs" past defenders but I don't know if his soccer brain is there yet.

Henry and Bekker have been working together in training and it showed on set pieces. Henry had about 5 chances (that he missed terribly) on goal with his head from Bekker's deliveries. Morgan played ok but is not comfortable at ALL when he gets into LW position. That's why he fumbles some crosses, the defender pressure gets to him when he's cornered. Still young, manageable.

That penalty was so obvious, so unfortunate. Game was decent for the players that were on the field.

West220Side
05-29-2013, 11:16 AM
Ok Folks;

I wonder if a Toronto FC scout(s) is at tonight's game? There are a number of Canadians that are out of contract playing and don't tell me there might be 1 or 2 Costa Ricans that could helps us out. If I find out they did not send anyone, we are really doomed for another 2 years! :facepalm:

If Toronto FC front office doesn't send a representative to the Canada vs Costa Rica match we automatically are doomed for two years? Sometimes I just completely write off topics on the pure ridiculous statements people make.

What are you, smoking that good Rob Ford shit?

Greatest Ripoff
05-29-2013, 12:01 PM
Bonsu is extremely raw, he looks like a phenom but has absolute Walcott syndrome. He's an athlete, not a footballer. Some of his touches were ok but I was watching his movement, he never really managed to show for the ball. Three spectacular "runs" past defenders but I don't know if his soccer brain is there yet.

I agree that his final product wasn't the best last night but he used more than just speed to get past players. He displayed some nice ball skills that allowed him to get past defenders.

jabbronies
05-29-2013, 12:38 PM
What are you on about? We are a team in Canada that has to play Canadian players. Would it not make sense to try to get the best of the players we have to play? Seriously, this statement just looks ignorant.

I realize we have a quota of Canadians we need to field, but I'd rather us develop our own talent (i.e Bekker) than look at the unattached CMNT players who have proven themselves unworthy of being on a club.
It's not an ignorant statement - it's a realistic observation of the current situation of the CMNT. Ignorance is thinking that because a player is on the CMNT, he is a good enough player to be on TFC.

You scout the real talent, Costa Rica.

I can agree with this statement, although I can't say who on Costa Rica is a target we should be looking at.

Huh? Canada looked much better in this game compare to previous games recently. Besides, these guys don't regularly play with each other compare to Costa Rica. So it's harder for Canada to develop some chemistry. But that being said, TFC players have looked good in this game especially Bekker.

Chemistry aside, there are a lot of basic blunders that the players on this team make. Example is when our CB passes the ball to our midfielder who is being covered by 2 opposing players rather than passing it off the wings where CMNT players are standing there, alone, with an open passing lane to that player in clear view... Or having out RB try and make 2 long ball passes in a row to our LW who is 3/4 the way down the pitch. How about running up the wing on a nice break, only to rush and panic a cross that goes right into the goalies arms...nowhere close to any of the players in the box.

I understand the whole chemistry thing in order to play beautiful footy and compete with the big boys - but the players have a difficult time doing the basics to move the ball forward. I'm not necessarily talking about skill as I am football intelligence. Knowing when to pass to whom; when to move the ball forward or bring it back; when to switch; when to make a run into space with the ball...there's a lot of laziness as well. Players just standing around watching the ball move (a.k.a ball watching) instead of moving to space to make opportunities happen.

T-boy
05-29-2013, 01:13 PM
Morgan's crossing in this, like when he's played for TFC this season, is all over the place! He either completely underhits the ball, or he crosses it so hard it flies into orbit! Only about 1 in 6 he actually puts into the penalty area at a nice pace. If he could sort this final ball out and get some consistency with it, he would be fine going forward. It's frustrating watching him under or over hit the ball again and again!

Canary10
05-29-2013, 01:48 PM
^ Are you saying he's a "one in sixer" T-boy?

TFC07
05-29-2013, 04:49 PM
Chemistry aside, there are a lot of basic blunders that the players on this team make. Example is when our CB passes the ball to our midfielder who is being covered by 2 opposing players rather than passing it off the wings where CMNT players are standing there, alone, with an open passing lane to that player in clear view... Or having out RB try and make 2 long ball passes in a row to our LW who is 3/4 the way down the pitch. How about running up the wing on a nice break, only to rush and panic a cross that goes right into the goalies arms...nowhere close to any of the players in the box.

I understand the whole chemistry thing in order to play beautiful footy and compete with the big boys - but the players have a difficult time doing the basics to move the ball forward. I'm not necessarily talking about skill as I am football intelligence. Knowing when to pass to whom; when to move the ball forward or bring it back; when to switch; when to make a run into space with the ball...there's a lot of laziness as well. Players just standing around watching the ball move (a.k.a ball watching) instead of moving to space to make opportunities happen.

And TFC players are better? You're telling me that players like Weideman and Braun are better than some of current unattached players on CMNT? Sure some of players on CMNT aren't good enough for MLS, but it doesn't mean Canada doesn't have enough quality players to play in MLS. Don't you realize current unattached players would most likely be signed before next season starts in Europe?

This argument is dumb especially since our manager and one of forward of TFC are from freaking New Zealand (worst than Canada in soccer) while Lambe (starting player) is from Bermuda.

Richard
05-29-2013, 05:21 PM
And TFC players are better? You're telling me that players like Weideman and Braun are better than some of current unattached players on CMNT? Sure some of players on CMNT aren't good enough for MLS, but it doesn't mean Canada doesn't have enough quality players to play in MLS. Don't you realize current unattached players would most likely be signed before next season starts in Europe?

This argument is dumb especially since our manager and one of forward of TFC are from freaking New Zealand (worst than Canada in soccer) while Lambe (starting player) is from Bermuda.

Haha that's funny. They made the wolrd cup(2010), and guess what, did not loose a game to Italy, Paraguay, Slovakia. Please, come back to me when Canada scores let alone ties any of these nations. Also, I bet you Nelson is better than any the of CB's on the Canadian roster.

TFC07
05-29-2013, 05:59 PM
Haha that's funny. They made the wolrd cup(2010), and guess what, did not loose a game to Italy, Paraguay, Slovakia. Please, come back to me when Canada scores let alone ties any of these nations. Also, I bet you Nelson is better than any the of CB's on the Canadian roster.

They had very easy qualification route to WC compare to Canada. Currently, Canada is ranked higher than New Zealand. So yeah, thanks for the laugh and poor attempt to defend NZ. FYI: Canada recently draw against USA and score recently against Japan (another quality team).

Richard
05-29-2013, 07:16 PM
First off, FIFA rankings are bullshit. Its not an accurate reflection of world football, New Zealand is not going to go higher than 30 just because of teams it faces, the rankings reflect who you play and winning against American Samoa isn't going to help you. I'm not saying NZ is far ahead of Canada, but to completely disregard them and their accomplishments is a bit ridiculous. Going to the World Cup and performing is something Canada hasn't done. New Zealand's performances in the WC should be enough to say they deserved to be there. Last few meaningful games for Canada have been a disaster, you cant say that for NZ. I disregard all friendlies fyI.

Greatest Ripoff
05-29-2013, 07:31 PM

You realize that New Zealand plays in Oceania right? I am not saying they are terrible but it is vastly easier to qualify out of Oceania when your toughest opposition is Tahiti. Heck, NZ got knocked out by New Caledonia in the OFC Nation's Cup and didn't score a goal against them. And our main striker right now is from Wales. A country with 4 professional football teams (canada now has 5) and hasn't made a world cup appearance since 1956! And as mentioned we have a winger starting every game who is from Bermuda!!! Also, no offense to our New Zealanders on the forum. I am not trying to put you guys down, I am just saying you are around the same level as Canada. And if NZ is viable options for footballers then so is Canada.

Does they other guy think players like Hutchinson, Simpson, Edgar, Dejong, Hainault, Nakajima-Farran, Johnson, De Rosario, Jackson, Bernier, Occean ect could not walk into our starting 11 and make a huge improvement? Ever Ledgerwood would be an improvement over Richter.

And for all of the people who support TFC and look down on Canada, you support a team in Canada that will for ever be linked to the CMNT through player quotas and our location. Get use to it.

Greatest Ripoff
05-29-2013, 07:34 PM
New Zealand's performances in the WC should be enough to say they deserved to be there. Last few meaningful games for Canada have been a disaster, you cant say that for NZ. I disregard all friendlies fyI.

Loosing 2-0 to New Caledonia in the AFC Nation's Cup semi finals?

Richard
05-29-2013, 07:50 PM
I didn't say they were much better than us, just not worse. I'm not looking down on Canada if that was pointed at me.

Greatest Ripoff
05-29-2013, 07:54 PM
I didn't say they were much better than us, just not worse. I'm not looking down on Canada if that was pointed at me.

No, that part wasn't for you but just the attitude some people on here give towards Canada. I agree NZ and Canada are around the same level. And neither country should be outright dismissed for footballers especially Canada with roster regulations.

Fort York Redcoat
05-29-2013, 07:57 PM
So this thread is about scouting right? So I think it's safe to assume that every Canadian MLS team was represented by a scout and they's be watching both sides for talent.

No need to get so defensive or aggresive about it. I'm not happy about the loss, the teams present standing or their performance but it's been touched upon that comparing us to other countries in other regions is naive or at least only a bit of the story.

C'mon the Gold Cup. We'll see the bestfrom this game with the very few veterans that could rise above the taint of the last cycle.

Ajax TFC
05-29-2013, 08:04 PM
Does they other guy think players like Hutchinson, Simpson, Edgar, Dejong, Hainault, Nakajima-Farran, Johnson, De Rosario, Jackson, Bernier, Occean ect could not walk into our starting 11 and make a huge improvement? Ever Ledgerwood would be an improvement over Richter.
IMO this argument doesn't work since the Canadian players you mention would make a heck of a lot more than the players you're suggesting they're better than. IMO very few of those players would be better value than our current League Championship rental stopgaps.

TFC07
05-29-2013, 08:12 PM
Loosing 2-0 to New Caledonia in the AFC Nation's Cup semi finals?

LMAO! That says it all! Also, Canada been historically better than NZ in soccer.

Anyway, Canada recently have been playing more of their younger and inexperience players against WC quality teams with exception of one team. Result haven't been number one priority for Canada. It's all about giving experience to new generation Canadian players to prepare them for Gold Cup and beyond. So don't judge on their recent friendly results.

TFC07
05-29-2013, 08:18 PM
IMO this argument doesn't work since the Canadian players you mention would make a heck of a lot more than the players you're suggesting they're better than. IMO very few of those players would be better value than our current League Championship rental stopgaps.

I think someone like Hainault (proven MLS player) and younger player (maybe someone like Edwini-Bonsu) is better example to use. Those are type of players that TFC should target and be able to sign to decent contract.

jazzy
05-29-2013, 10:15 PM
All of our boys have looked good tonight. Osorio wasn't on for long enough to really get going.

I agree about Bonsu. Guys a beast. Quick on the wings great touch.

I'm just amazed how well Bekker is playing. Nelsen take note if he's not starting your not watching. When have we ever had such good distribution on set peices?

thats it right there why wasn't Osorio started earlier! Same old British patronizing coaching.....lets not go out on a limb geez we might find some talent. No courage to find a spark. youth , talent, it's called inspiration...not by the way, BS. All soccer nations with a fire will always dominate us because they live, breath the sport . Its a way of life. We're so docile , ollowing a plan that fools no one. If I see a kid with fire in his eyes thats who I want out there. We can't even recognize them yet. And if we do we call them up we ignore them so they can play our planned , controlled approach. Our FO's have no balls. until we do . We're wanna b's.

jabbronies
05-29-2013, 11:33 PM

And for all of the people who support TFC and look down on Canada, you support a team in Canada that will for ever be linked to the CMNT through player quotas and our location. Get use to it.

For starters, most of these guys are attached to teams, and the one guy I do see who isn't attached and I wouldn't mind suiting up for TFC is Jackson - but he wouldn't be worth the DP money IMO. Yes - some of these guys on the NT are very talented, but you take them away from their talented club teams and they are...well...the CMNT. That isn't what TFC needs. TFC needs guys who can execute no matter who is around them. The Earnshaw's and Koeverman's are what we should be looking for. Players with a proven track record of delivering the goods no matter where they have played in their careers. Not Ledgerwood's or Edgar's.

As I said before - If we are looking to fill a Canadian quota, I'd rather them do it through the academy. If you can build the players you want, might as well be Canadians.

gdg_9
05-30-2013, 10:20 AM
For starters, most of these guys are attached to teams, and the one guy I do see who isn't attached and I wouldn't mind suiting up for TFC is Jackson - but he wouldn't be worth the DP money IMO. Yes - some of these guys on the NT are very talented, but you take them away from their talented club teams and they are...well...the CMNT. That isn't what TFC needs. TFC needs guys who can execute no matter who is around them. The Earnshaw's and Koeverman's are what we should be looking for. Players with a proven track record of delivering the goods no matter where they have played in their careers. Not Ledgerwood's or Edgar's.

As I said before - If we are looking to fill a Canadian quota, I'd rather them do it through the academy. If you can build the players you want, might as well be Canadians.

Lumping Ledgerwood with Edgar is apples and oranges... On a full-strength CMNT squad, Edgar is a mainstay, while Ledgerwood MIGHT make the bench.

I would LOVE Edgar on TFC... He'd be a definite improvement on any FB we currently have, and that has nothing to do with the fact he is a local boy from Kitchener (that's just an added bonus).

The problem is, we cannot afford a guy like Edgar. He has much better options elsewhere in the world, and would likely demand DP wages if he were to consider coming home to MLS.

He could definitely help TFC on the field, but he also definitely isn't worth DP money in a salary capped league.

Fort York Redcoat
05-30-2013, 11:11 AM
I think someone like Hainault (proven MLS player) and younger player (maybe someone like Edwini-Bonsu) is better example to use. Those are type of players that TFC should target and be able to sign to decent contract.

Should target? Yes. Could aquire? No. If Hainault finally comes home to Canada he won't be choosing Toronto or Vancouver to play in front of his "home crowd". I wonder how Will Johnson would feel if things don't turn around for him leading Portland? I wonder if Payne and Jako get along?

TFC07
05-30-2013, 11:54 AM
Should target? Yes. Could aquire? No. If Hainault finally comes home to Canada he won't be choosing Toronto or Vancouver to play in front of his "home crowd". I wonder how Will Johnson would feel if things don't turn around for him leading Portland? I wonder if Payne and Jako get along?
I am just using them as examples of type of players that TFC should target and able to sign to a reasonable contract. Hainault probably go back to Houston if he can't land a job in Europe.

However, I agree with Jabbronies that academy is the way to go in the long term. Signing local young talented players for cheap is going to benefit us a lot more in the long haul.

ag futbol
05-30-2013, 02:43 PM
I agree that his final product wasn't the best last night but he used more than just speed to get past players. He displayed some nice ball skills that allowed him to get past defenders.
REB has a pretty good game, he's more than just an athlete. At the right price we'd be stupid not to, pace alone will make him a factor.

His problem is that he has "Canada syndrome" around the net. Look at the main difference in that game last night, Costa Rica will punish you on half a chance with their second tier strikers, while Canada scuffs balls into the stands consistently.

valeo
05-30-2013, 11:53 PM
LMAO! That says it all! Also, Canada been historically better than NZ in soccer.

Anyway, Canada recently have been playing more of their younger and inexperience players against WC quality teams with exception of one team. Result haven't been number one priority for Canada. It's all about giving experience to new generation Canadian players to prepare them for Gold Cup and beyond. So don't judge on their recent friendly results.

I'd actually say NZ and Canada are quite similar football-wise - both in size and in comparison to their close neighbours (USA, Australia) who have bigger populations and more success. You can say that it's easier qualification for us - but in the long run, it's actually harder. It's impossible to improve as a nation when the only games you play are against Island nations and we basically never play friendlies because we can't afford to.

If Canada had to play the Islands on pitches with ten thousand pot holes, I guarantee they would struggle too.

Only Canadian players i've seen are Nakajima-Farran - who didn't exactly set the league alight - and Alen Marcina.

nonc
05-31-2013, 12:36 AM

Lol. Edgar is a beast with a lot of game and would be a cornerstone to TFC akin to Laba, although that's not happening. Earnshaw might not even be back next year and frankly his mediocre play doesn't necessitate it. Where have his goals been? A PK and the same terrible opposition mistakes in successive games which he won't see again...it was like a winning lottery ticket. He's not some star, he got pushed out of the Championship.

nonc
05-31-2013, 12:51 AM
I'd actually say NZ and Canada are quite similar football-wise - both in size and in comparison to their close neighbours (USA, Australia) who have bigger populations and more success. You can say that it's easier qualification for us - but in the long run, it's actually harder. It's impossible to improve as a nation when the only games you play are against Island nations and we basically never play friendlies because we can't afford to.

If Canada had to play the Islands on pitches with ten thousand pot holes, I guarantee they would struggle too.

Only Canadian players i've seen are Nakajima-Farran - who didn't exactly set the league alight - and Alen Marcina.

I agree, there are a lot of similarities and parity between the associations. TFC07 has been a bit naive.

jabbronies
06-01-2013, 09:55 AM
Lol. Edgar is a beast with a lot of game and would be a cornerstone to TFC akin to Laba, although that's not happening. Earnshaw might not even be back next year and frankly his mediocre play doesn't necessitate it. Where have his goals been? A PK and the same terrible opposition mistakes in successive games which he won't see again...it was like a winning lottery ticket. He's not some star, he got pushed out of the Championship.

I'm not shitting on Edgar...If you actually read my post in full you'll see that I didn't knock his abilities. READ BELOW

Lumping Ledgerwood with Edgar is apples and oranges... On a full-strength CMNT squad, Edgar is a mainstay, while Ledgerwood MIGHT make the bench.
I would LOVE Edgar on TFC... He'd be a definite improvement on any FB we currently have, and that has nothing to do with the fact he is a local boy from Kitchener (that's just an added bonus).
The problem is, we cannot afford a guy like Edgar. He has much better options elsewhere in the world, and would likely demand DP wages if he were to consider coming home to MLS.
He could definitely help TFC on the field, but he also definitely isn't worth DP money in a salary capped league.

This is it right here.
This post sums up why we shouldn't be looking at CMNT players.
The shit players are shit and are nothing more than bench warmers and the decent players are not worth the wages.
There isn't a Canadian player on the NT that is worth DP money...We need to come to the realization that CMNT players are not DP quality players. They are not guys who can elevate a whole team to the next level. And the players who are not DP quality...well why would you waste your time bringing them in when you can build the same player though the academy at a cheaper cost.

Fort York Redcoat
06-01-2013, 10:09 AM
We're still at a point where we over value home players. I'm going to enjoy the Canadians that come through the academy and get limited play with us but as soon as they develop to starters and beyond I'm afraid if they don't move on and shine elsewhere they'll be hurt by the spotlight of playing at home.

It's a culture we should adopt that is in most places in the world except for those very few places that have the best clubs and country programs.

I hope for a time that returning Canada players want to help and play for the home crowd that cheered them at the start of their career.

IT will be a challenge for any player who tries to be a DeRo that actually gets his DP status and spends his entire career here.

nonc
06-02-2013, 12:07 AM
I'm not shitting on Edgar...If you actually read my post in full you'll see that I didn't knock his abilities. READ BELOW

This is it right here.
This post sums up why we shouldn't be looking at CMNT players.
The shit players are shit and are nothing more than bench warmers and the decent players are not worth the wages.
There isn't a Canadian player on the NT that is worth DP money...We need to come to the realization that CMNT players are not DP quality players. They are not guys who can elevate a whole team to the next level. And the players who are not DP quality...well why would you waste your time bringing them in when you can build the same player though the academy at a cheaper cost.

How did you arrive at the inaccurate conclusion that CMNT players = DP? Many of them do not command DP money. It is amusing you vouch for Earnshaw though, a washed up Championship player we're considering spending substantial cap on.

jabbronies
06-02-2013, 10:22 PM
How did you arrive at the inaccurate conclusion that CMNT players = DP? Many of them do not command DP money. It is amusing you vouch for Earnshaw though, a washed up Championship player we're considering spending substantial cap on.

The only CMNT worth grabbing are going to command DP money.

I like Earnshaw. He's a natural striker, you can see it in the way he plays. If he got better service, He'd be scoring more I have no doubt about that. But right now he gets the ball outside the 18 - not good for a guy like him.
I don't agree with spending tons of cash on Earnshaw. League max would be waaaaaaay too much. But he'd be worth like 150-200K - assuming he'll score another 5-10 goals before the end of the season.

ag futbol
06-02-2013, 11:18 PM
The only CMNT worth grabbing are going to command DP money.

They won’t all cost DP money, it’s unlikely that we’d be looking at anyone for that kind of spot anyway. We don’t have to like every player or every circumstance, but we’d be crazy to write the entire category off. Will Johnson came back to MLS , did well in this league, didn’t cost DP money. So did Hainault at one point, so did Attakora, so did Bernier. I see a few guys out there right now who could potentially make a difference, why eliminate that possibility?

Past experience was about how stupid our front office staff was, not the broad category of players.

Rudi
06-04-2013, 09:32 AM
To answer the OP, Pat Onstad attended the game in person.

Ultra & Proud
06-04-2013, 12:42 PM

As soon as MLS changes the rules and allows 5+ DPs and a salary cap of around $10M then we should do this. Until then, you get what you can squeeze under around $3M.