PDA

View Full Version : NYCFC killed my nostalgic Cosmos dream, will they also hijack stadium development?

Haddy
05-22-2013, 09:15 PM
1000 factors, I hope, were weighed before the expansion announcement. But like I posted on Facebook......

Manchester City + New York Yankees = New York City Football Club. Satan, it seems, is alive and well. :facepalm:

So now that two evil empires have wed, where will they settle? Garber has mentioned Queens numerous times. Flushing Meadows was mentioned yesterday.

But, since a large Cosmos stadium seems ridiculous now, do you think there's a chance NYCFC just hijacks the Cosmos stadium proposal?

http://cosmosstadium.com/

The site is adjacent the infamous Belmont racetrack and would include hotel, shopping center, etc...

OgtheDim
05-22-2013, 09:42 PM
The whole Cosmos rebirth project had about as much hope to survive as the original NASL.

On the stadium, MLS has spent more money then any other lobbyist in the city the last year; all on getting that Flushing Meadows project up. Only when they get a complete "No!" will they look elsewhere.

Oldtimer
05-23-2013, 07:13 AM
I'm old enough to remember the NASL and while there was a lot of glamour to the Cosmos, the excesses of that club destroyed the league in starting a chain reaction meltdown of over-spending. They spent like Real Madrid while having less revenues than the Columbus Crew. I prefer the saner (even if somewhat duller) vision of MLS. As far as the name "Cosmos," it will never be the same product, so it's best to leave that name to our memories rather than attach it to an MLS club that will not be the same (thankfully) in any way.

As far as a stadium goes, NYFC are pretty attached to flushing Meadows, but who knows what they will do if that doesn't pass.

I seriously doubt that the Cosmos stadium will ever get built. They are not in D1, and they don't have the best ownership (no continuity with the original Cosmos). The only thing they have is the name.

Haddy
05-23-2013, 07:18 AM
Agreed.

After getting off my lazy butt and actually using Google for 2.5 seconds - it seems like the Flushing Meadows site is very realistic. It's an 'okay' park in Queens that is in need of repair and investment. The local community is well-known for its ethnic diversity, is in need of cash and is apparently willing to give up park space for jobs. That, and they love their footy.

Although approx. 40 acres of the park would be lost to development, MLS has offered to help create another park elsewhere to make up for that lost land.

30,000 seats approx. at a cost pushing $300-million as reported by various outlets. All privately funded by Mr. Sheikh with some pretty sweet tax incentives.

http://cdn.cstatic.net/images/gridfs/512cc6a8f92ea15b23051e0b/MLS-Soccer-Stadium.jpg

Prelim design: http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2013/02/26/heres_what_a_shopdesigned_mls_stadium_could_look_l ike.php#512cc631f92ea15b23051a44

I guess my next question is, why in the world would the Yankees seem hesitant to go to Queens? More investment in their neighbourhood instead?

There are rumours the stadium deal will be announced May 25 when Chelsea play Man City at Yankee Stadium. Seems a bit quick but that's what is being reported.

Auzzy
05-23-2013, 09:37 AM
One thing that speaks against Queens & Flushing Meadows: that's NY Mets home territory. I'm not that familiar with the territory, but I believe Mets fans may like the Yankees even less than Boston fans do. And that's hard to do.

In any case, it doesn't seem like the natural spot for NYC FC part-owned & boosted by the Yankees. It's right next to the Mets' Citi Field (and former Shea Stadium). Looking at the NYC FC announcements & promos, they are really playing up the NY Yankees backing of this new team.

Anyway, who knows, but it just seems odd to me.