PDA

View Full Version : Its Official: New York City FC Announced

Shway
05-21-2013, 10:02 AM
http://mcfc.co.uk/News/Club-news/2013/May/Club-announcement-New-York-City-FC-to-launch-21-May
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/05/21/major-league-soccer-announces-new-york-expansion-team-new-york-city-football

Surprise, surprise!

Yagbod
05-21-2013, 10:09 AM
I hate those NYCFC bastards so much! They really piss me off. I hope we have some sort of manufactured rivalry trophy that we can annually lose to them. Fuckers.

By the way, if you thought the salary cap rules were wonky for LA Galaxy: hold onto your hats for how the league will help NYCFC with cap space.

mastermixer
05-21-2013, 10:31 AM
I hate those NYCFC bastards so much! They really piss me off. I hope we have some sort of manufactured rivalry trophy that we can annually lose to them. Fuckers.

By the way, if you thought the salary cap rules were wonky for LA Galaxy: hold onto your hats for how the league will help NYCFC with cap space.

Exactly what I was thinking. Another team in from of TFC to get big name players handed to them.

Fort York Redcoat
05-21-2013, 10:34 AM
This is the only team that MLS could show MORE favouritism than if they had done the right things and remade the Cosmos. UGH.

sidenote: Does this mean when we play them we could make BJFC banners?g:D

Stryker
05-21-2013, 11:25 AM
Red Bulls are doomed. What a waste of a beautiful stadium. I give them five seasons after NYCFC begins playing till the Red Bulls relocate.

Initial B
05-21-2013, 11:47 AM
I bet MLS will funnel NYRB money than see them relocated. There's too much TV revenue at stake to lose any rivalry that they're going to force to develop. All I want to say is...
Damn Yankees!!! :hulk:

billyfly
05-21-2013, 11:52 AM
Booooo

BuSaPuNk
05-21-2013, 11:52 AM
Not happy but not angry about this. It's a good relationship to have with the EPL but I don't want any special actions just because of the owners. Have to keep our heads up with this team. Don't want any other special rules to prop up another team.

phonzo
05-21-2013, 11:53 AM
soooo instead of come on cit-eh...is it going to be come on cit-tank! or come on yank-eh!

Indeed watch the salary magic for this team and all sorts of fancy new "dp" rules.

Stouffville_RPB
05-21-2013, 11:55 AM
Man City + Yankees?

People who thought LA and NYRB were evil. They were the equivalent to Count Dooku and Darth Maul. Get ready to meet Lord Vader.

habstfc
05-21-2013, 12:06 PM
Man city says the new new York team will be one of the worlds top clubs he does realize this is in new York city with the general consensus there being indifference to the sport. There's also a salary cap so unless mls is willing to raise the cap to at least 30 or 40 million bucks this will never happen. One thing that's really concerning is they seem to think it's no big deal of no solid stadium plan in place. I think in the long run this is doomed to fail. No stadium, not a lot of soccer fans in nyc. People can argue that point all they want but in my opinion new York is a dead zone for soccer.

Oldtimer
05-21-2013, 12:17 PM
Man city says the new new York team will be one of the worlds top clubs he does realize this is in new York city with the general consensus there being indifference to the sport. There's also a salary cap so unless mls is willing to raise the cap to at least 30 or 40 million bucks this will never happen. One thing that's really concerning is they seem to think it's no big deal of no solid stadium plan in place. I think in the long run this is doomed to fail. No stadium, not a lot of soccer fans in nyc. People can argue that point all they want but in my opinion new York is a dead zone for soccer.

Disagree. No need for even magic allocation. Unless MLS puts some limits on it, Man City will be able to loan players to NYFC for $10 a year, giving NYFC an unlimited supply of world top talent at virtually no cap hit. NYFC will only have to use cap space for their required domestic players. It will be the top club in MLS, and one of the most glamorous teams in the world. We will all hate them. It could be like the Yankees in baseball. It will destroy parity if this happens, which MLS may be ready for at this point. Of course MLS could put some limits to keep NYFC from dominating the league like the Cosmos did the old NASL, remembering that the Cosmos was a big part of the NASL's problem.

NY supported the Cosmos, they will support a club, but only if it's a really good one (which the Cosmos were, they were like Real Madrid in their day, one of the world's first superclubs).

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
05-21-2013, 12:18 PM
shitebulls are doomed....

Oldtimer
05-21-2013, 12:25 PM
shitebulls are doomed....

No more than the NY Islanders in hockey...

backbeat
05-21-2013, 12:32 PM
Disagree. No need for even magic allocation. Unless MLS puts some limits on it, Man City will be able to loan players to NYFC for $10 a year, giving NYFC an unlimited supply of world top talent at virtually no cap hit. NYFC will only have to use cap space for their required domestic players. It will be the top club in MLS, and one of the most glamorous teams in the world. We will all hate them. It could be like the Yankees in baseball. It will destroy parity if this happens, which MLS may be ready for at this point. Of course MLS could put some limits to keep NYFC from dominating the league like the Cosmos did the old NASL, remembering that the Cosmos was a big part of the NASL's problem.

NY supported the Cosmos, they will support a club, but only if it's a really good one (which the Cosmos were, they were like Real Madrid in their day, one of the world's first superclubs).

is that really a possibility as the rules stand now? if so i doubt the league would put a stop to the new owners doing this by changing the rule. if this is the case the league, to be fair, would have to scrap the cap system altogether imo.

TOBOR !
05-21-2013, 12:33 PM
This will reach levels of epic proportions not seen since the Cosmos were in town. I'd submit to you that NY is a soccer town in much the same way that Toronto is a hockey town. Here, it's the Leafs and nothing else. There, it's the Cosmos (as they were) and nothing else... but now it appears that the Cosmos are about to be reborn (in theory) in NYCFC (forget about that NASL outfit, they're just using the name - it's not the same thing and nobody cares. Especially now).

Sure, the league will come up with a new rule along the lines of average attendances = x DPs, x salary cap, etc. These guys will start off playing in Yankee stadium for a season or so, while they work on a SSS.

I think the lid just blew off the league.

Fort York Redcoat
05-21-2013, 12:46 PM
^ Are you saying they may t*** t*** l***** a****?

TFC07
05-21-2013, 12:51 PM
Meh. NYCFC isn't going to be that big of a hit what some people here are making it out to be.

Unless NYCFC has Messi on their team, there isn't going to be a big buzz in NYC (people there are more demanding in terms of star power than anywhere else in USA). Don't get me wrong, they will have a following but New York Yankees of MLS is L.A. Galaxy.

BTW: Henry isn't drawing too many people to RBNY games that many hope he would.

TOBOR !
05-21-2013, 01:04 PM
Meh. NYCFC isn't going to be that big of a hit what some people here are making it out to be.

Unless NYCFC has Messi on their team, there isn't going to be a big buzz in NYC (people there are more demanding in terms of star power than anywhere else in USA). Don't get me wrong, they will have a following but New York Yankees of MLS is L.A. Galaxy.

BTW: Henry isn't drawing too many people to RBNY games that many hope he would.

I think you may have overlooked one ingredient - the New York Yankees. RBNY is foreign ownership. However, the Yankess bring the local flavour - along with their brand.

I think New Yorkers are going to back this in droves.

Flipityflu
05-21-2013, 01:19 PM
Unless MLS puts some limits on it, Man City will be able to loan players to NYFC for $10 a year, giving NYFC an unlimited supply of world top talent at virtually no cap hit.

if that can happen, its in TFC's best interest to do the same thing and link up with a big club in the same way.

ManUtd4ever
05-21-2013, 01:21 PM
Haha, it looks like they took my advice regarding the name of the club.

Initial B
05-21-2013, 01:28 PM
Disagree. No need for even magic allocation. Unless MLS puts some limits on it, Man City will be able to loan players to NYFC for $10 a year, giving NYFC an unlimited supply of world top talent at virtually no cap hit. NYFC will only have to use cap space for their required domestic players.
In that case, MLS will simply limit the number of loan players a team is allowed to have on its roster, as well as minimum salary requirements wrt the salary cap. I don't see MLS letting them get away with destroying parity. They'll have to work within the system to do that.

Richard
05-21-2013, 01:41 PM
So what happens to Orlando? Does Chivas fold?

TFC07
05-21-2013, 01:44 PM
I think you may have overlooked one ingredient - the New York Yankees. RBNY is foreign ownership. However, the Yankess bring the local flavour - along with their brand.

I think New Yorkers are going to back this in droves.

So they're going to get baseball crowd to soccer game? lol

They're going to play in Bronx?

You know there are a lot of Met fans who wouldn't support this team because NYY connection, right? So say goodbye getting support from people living in Queens and Long Island.

brad
05-21-2013, 01:56 PM

Well the league approves all contracts, and it won't be much of a surprise what they are up to if you start to see a bunch high quality players coming into NY for cheap. The league can and will stop it - if they want to. That is the question though.

Personally, I don't think you will see an out and out stacking of talent in obvious ways (IE guys like Tevez coming in on loan for the league minimum), but I do think it will happen on some level. I think the league will want to maintain and illusion of parity, but will certainly want the team to be winners, and have top tier talent to succeed financially in the largest sporting market in the US.

They do need to avoid a Cosmos like level of dominance though, NY need a league to play in...

The other thing to mention - those are deep pockets backing City and now NY- on a level the MLS has not seen. I'm curious to see what kind of DP's they will bankroll - I suspect they are going to bring in 3 top players in their prime.

brad
05-21-2013, 01:59 PM
In that case, MLS will simply limit the number of loan players a team is allowed to have on its roster, as well as minimum salary requirements wrt the salary cap. I don't see MLS letting them get away with destroying parity. They'll have to work within the system to do that.

I agree here. I think they will bend the rules and allow NY to build a stronger team than others can, but not at the expense of all out stacking the roster. They will want to maintain an illusion of parity. But, they will also want this team to be successful - this is the biggest market in the North America, and it is untapped.

TOBOR !
05-21-2013, 02:16 PM
So they're going to get baseball crowd to soccer game? lol

They're going to play in Bronx?

You know there are a lot of Met fans who wouldn't support this team because NYY connection, right? So say goodbye getting support from people living in Queens and Long Island.

The brand. The network. Cross-promotions.

I could defo see them starting out playing at Yankee Stadium. It's been done.

Stouffville_RPB
05-21-2013, 02:17 PM
The other thing to mention - those are deep pockets backing City and now NY- on a level the MLS has not seen. I'm curious to see what kind of DP's they will bankroll - I suspect they are going to bring in 3 top players in their prime.

The X factor here is the players would want to have to spend their prime playing in MLS. Will a player capable of playing for a top club in Europe be willing to give up the chance to win the Champions League to play in MLS? How much will NYCFC have to overpay to get that top talent in their prime? I mean top players are already making absorbance amounts of money.

West220Side
05-21-2013, 02:17 PM
Holy fuck Manchester City what are you thinking. You'll take your young players, your boys from the men and send them thousands of miles across the ocean and in New York where nobody will supervise them and they'll take their big money contract money they get from your Saudi owners and spend in on booze and women in the city every night. You would like to think these clubs would have some type of plan ... a supervisor, somebody to look out for the boys, but after learning a few things about some of the top teams in Europe I wouldn't be surprised if they just send them alone. Plus at the risk of getting some wrath from City fans, don't they only care about their stars?

City chief Ferran Soriano confirmed the club are likely to send out youngsters on loan to the new team.He said: “I think naturally it will happen, that some Manchester players will end up playing in New York.
“But the objective and the focus will be to try to find the right players for the New York team. The New York team is a team on its own.”

OgtheDim
05-21-2013, 02:32 PM
Point of Order

City is owned by the UAE.

Not Saudi.

BIG difference when it comes to alcohol and women.

TFC07
05-21-2013, 02:32 PM
The brand. The network. Cross-promotions.

I could defo see them starting out playing at Yankee Stadium. It's been done.

Aren't they planning to build their stadium in Queens?

TFC07
05-21-2013, 02:34 PM
Point of Order

City is owned by the UAE.

Not Saudi.

BIG difference when it comes to alcohol and women.

UAE has strict alcohol laws (you can drink in certain parts in UAE), but far better place for a tourist to visit than Saudi Arabia though.

brad
05-21-2013, 02:38 PM
The X factor here is the players would want to have to spend their prime playing in MLS. Will a player capable of playing for a top club in Europe be willing to give up the chance to win the Champions League to play in MLS? How much will NYCFC have to overpay to get that top talent in their prime? I mean top players are already making absorbance amounts of money.

IMHO for the right amount of money - some will. Players make insane sums of money, yet still make moves based on making even more money. CL could play a role for sure, but I suspect many still might consider.

NY would have to overpay a lot to get players like that to come, but to Sheik Mansour - that doesn't really matter. He operates on different levels. We are talking about someone with an estimated personal net worth of £15 billion, and an estimated family wealth of £400 billion to £1 trillion.

He doesn't need NYCFC to be profitable. If he decides he wants NYCFC to have marquee players, and has to pay them 50 million a year, he will do so.

ensco
05-21-2013, 02:53 PM
Wherever they play, I hope they paint the dirt green again

http://nycosmos.com/news/grass-always-greener-story-pelés-debut

habstfc
05-21-2013, 03:00 PM
I don't think there will be any first team players coming over here to play in the summer. Big players want a summer vacation too. I dion't think any new Yorkers are going to get excited seeing MCFC reserve players. The cosmos played 35 years ago and people back then were willing to travel to the meadowlands to see them not so much anymore.

TOBOR !
05-21-2013, 03:05 PM
Aren't they planning to build their stadium in Queens?

Are they ? I don't know. I'm simply saying they can use Yankee Stadium until a stadium is built.

Thus giving them a better idea of how big to build it.

habstfc
05-21-2013, 03:08 PM
I think they would have said they would play at yankee stadium if that was the plan. I don't know if the Yankees would like a soccer game to be played there regularly considering it tears up the field much more than baseball.

Oldtimer
05-21-2013, 03:28 PM
The X factor here is the players would want to have to spend their prime playing in MLS.

Beckenbauer was willing to play for the Cosmos. NY is an enormous attraction in itself.

TFC07
05-21-2013, 03:36 PM
Are they ? I don't know. I'm simply saying they can use Yankee Stadium until a stadium is built.

Thus giving them a better idea of how big to build it.

They're planning (as for now) to build a stadium in Queens, but they might have to play their first season at Yankee stadium though.

Redcoe15
05-21-2013, 03:55 PM
Looks like Don Garber finally came from his massive hard on for a second New York MLS team. And he jizzed all over everything.

With what looks like a farm club for Manchester City playing out of the baseball confines of Yankee Stadium, until a new stadium is built - and from reading reports on the Flushing Meadows site, that's nowhere's near gonna happen in the future - it seems like Garber got what he wanted in the worst way possible. Can you say ChivasUSA East? :prrr:

Redcoe15
05-21-2013, 03:57 PM
UAE has strict alcohol laws (you can drink in certain parts in UAE), but far better place for a tourist to visit than Saudi Arabia though.
I wouldn't step foot in either of those places. Or anywhere else in the Middle East for that matter.

Yohan
05-21-2013, 04:07 PM
I wouldn't step foot in either of those places. Or anywhere else in the Middle East for that matter.
don't take your gf and/or wife to Dubai. they will bankrupt you at the malls there

Redcoe15
05-21-2013, 04:56 PM
don't take your gf and/or wife to Dubai. they will bankrupt you at the malls there
Well, seeing as I have none of the above, problem solved! g:D :cryin:

nonc
05-21-2013, 05:04 PM
Dynamo to the Western conference, right?

Parity might be a concern to some but if MLS gives special treatment to Fake FC, TFC should be one of the least affected, given our own ability to attract DPs and loaned contracts.

69Chevy396
05-21-2013, 08:13 PM
Dynamo to the Western conference, right?

Parity might be a concern to some but if MLS gives special treatment to Fake FC, TFC should be one of the least affected, given our own ability to attract DPs and loaned contracts.
Just read this news, and am thinking, for the time being, for at least a year, we can argue that TFC has a better team than either Washington or New York. You see, we are world class after all.

West220Side
05-21-2013, 08:59 PM
Havn't seen this posted here....

http://www.nycfc.com/ (http://www.nycfc.com/)

Thought I was on Manchester Citys page for a minute.

Initial B
05-21-2013, 09:51 PM
Man, they really need another name. Every time I say NYCFC to myself, it comes out "Nyuk-fuk".

It's almost like they tailor-made this franchised to be loathed and made fun of...

TFC Cityboy
05-21-2013, 10:04 PM
Lifelong Blue here- Sky blue blood running thru my veins since age 7 in the 70's. War wounds and mental scars etc all erased by the UAE dosh and Aguerrrroooooooo...
Also TFC STH since the day after that night with Mo and Jim in the Duke.
So...anyone interested in my take on this? :)

Initial reaction is a deal with the devil. NYY the man utd of baseball. Mets would be the natural partner if we were matching up team personas...but that would have been the pre 2008 City and we are very different now.
Nike kit instead of long-time partner Umbro (a Manchester company we have worked with -with a few breaks- since the 20s) and the money men are the decision makers now. They want a global "brand" -sorry just threw up a little- and Nike and NYY help in this respect and ambition.
I'm not sure how worthwhile this is from City's p-o-v. We have low name recognition in the US and I'm not sure we'll ever overtake stretford globetrotters in that respect(not that I want us to).

On the plus side there is a ready-made hated rival that plays in red just outside town already so it feels authentic (united have never played within the City of Manchester boundaries).

So...what does a TFC/City supporter do here?
No way do I "convert".Why should I? TFC is my local club and I love matchdays (apart from the stuff that happens on the pitch of course). Anyway...I was taught at an early age that your team picks you and that's it. It was 1974 and I wanted to support Liverpool...ended up sticking with City!! Doomed for life -hey it's character building and taught me a great sense of humour and gallows humour which is most useful now with TFC.

The Abu Dhabi Doo boys are smart and will know that the the MLS is a capped-league...but I can't help thinking they have found some loophole that helps the parent club with Financial Fair Play. Too bad there's a cap, else we could sign Messi for NYCFC and loan him to MCFC!

NYCFC as a farm team? Unlikely given the seasons but I'm sure there will be cross-pollination and scouting there.

As NYCFC are now a part of MCFC, I have to find a piece of my heart for them-I cannot do otherwise as MCFC is in my very soul, but it will be (I think) an interest from afar and they will be my "second" team in MLS- ie when the mystical playoffs happen and TFC are done, I will want NYCFC to do well.

It's a bizarre situation for me on many levels.
Would have been easier if united had done this...would have been very easy for me!!
Cheers

TOBOR !
05-22-2013, 07:16 AM
The Yankees are whores who'll shop themselves to anyone, it turns out.

Does anyone remember this arrangement from a decade ago ? :

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/story?id=99849&page=1

Yankees Join Up With British Soccer

In a deal that links Spice Boy David Beckham with Derek Jeter and Roger Clemens, the parent company of the New York Yankees and Manchester United announced a joint marketing agreement today.

brad
05-22-2013, 07:39 AM
Lifelong Blue here- Sky blue blood running thru my veins since age 7 in the 70's. War wounds and mental scars etc all erased by the UAE dosh and Aguerrrroooooooo...
Also TFC STH since the day after that night with Mo and Jim in the Duke.
So...anyone interested in my take on this? :)

Initial reaction is a deal with the devil. NYY the man utd of baseball. Mets would be the natural partner if we were matching up team personas...but that would have been the pre 2008 City and we are very different now.
Nike kit instead of long-time partner Umbro (a Manchester company we have worked with -with a few breaks- since the 20s) and the money men are the decision makers now. They want a global "brand" -sorry just threw up a little- and Nike and NYY help in this respect and ambition.
I'm not sure how worthwhile this is from City's p-o-v. We have low name recognition in the US and I'm not sure we'll ever overtake stretford globetrotters in that respect(not that I want us to).

On the plus side there is a ready-made hated rival that plays in red just outside town already so it feels authentic (united have never played within the City of Manchester boundaries).

Short diversion (can't let this untrue myth slide). Proper NYCFC on topic stuff below. :) They were formed in Manchester proper played their first few seasons at North Road in Manchester proper. You can play with semantics if you want as they were Newton Heath at the time - but it's the same team, and a bit like ignoring any history that happened in the old football league prior to the EPL if you do. They also called Maine Road home for 8 or 9 years after WWII while Old Trafford was being rebuilt after being bombed out.

The Abu Dhabi Doo boys are smart and will know that the the MLS is a capped-league...but I can't help thinking they have found some loophole that helps the parent club with Financial Fair Play. Too bad there's a cap, else we could sign Messi for NYCFC and loan him to MCFC!

I wondered about this as well initially. In theory there might be something there. NYCFC could in theory sign up to the three DP's for whatever, cover their salaries and loan them back to City for next to nothing (not sure if the league would let that happen or not). However - if that was there game plan, I suspect there would be a lot of other teams in non-capped leagues that they could have done the same with, and bought for cheaper that what NYCFC is costing.

Honestly, I think it's about wanting to have another plaything (which is big with those guys). Build up a team in one of the premier cities in the world, and it's another thing to brag about. I don't think at all it's about being mutually beneficial for City.

It could also be about getting a pipeline into the US market from a talent perspective (the US is getting better, and with the right development and resources, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if we start to see world class players coming from the US in the future). However, since the league owns all the contracts, not the teams, I'm not sure what benefit there would be to City here. If NYCFC has a player that is of sufficient caliber, negotiations would still have to be with the league.

TOBOR !
05-22-2013, 08:03 AM
Much of it has to do with Global Branding for City, which is boosted by association with one of the largest, trendiest cities in the world. There was an opportunity here, unlike anywhere else in the world.

Still Kicking
05-22-2013, 10:21 AM
NYCFC as a farm team? Unlikely given the seasons but I'm sure there will be cross-pollination and scouting there.

Agree with most of your analysis TFC Cityboy, but I think the farm team idea has a real future. The big Euro teams all have large squads and then use loans and reserves teams to give playing time to their bench players. I think you will end up with a more cohesive supply of talent if you use NYCFC as a farm team. Let's say City sign or have been developing two young central defenders, or 4 midfielders or a pair of strikers. February you loan them to NYCFC and leave them to play together for an entire MLS season. Perhaps under the watchful eye of your New York coach Patrick Viera. Now when December arrives they fly back to City. An influx of talent when other teams are facing the fixture glut and scraping along to the transfer window.

OgtheDim
05-22-2013, 10:43 AM
I would think its about global branding for Abu Dhabi more then City.

Mind you, they will probably brand the team as City.

brad
05-22-2013, 11:10 AM

Agree with most of your analysis TFC Cityboy, but I think the farm team idea has a real future. The big Euro teams all have large squads and then use loans and reserves teams to give playing time to their bench players. I think you will end up with a more cohesive supply of talent if you use NYCFC as a farm team. Let's say City sign or have been developing two young central defenders, or 4 midfielders or a pair of strikers. February you loan them to NYCFC and leave them to play together for an entire MLS season. Perhaps under the watchful eye of your New York coach Patrick Viera. Now when December arrives they fly back to City. An influx of talent when other teams are facing the fixture glut and scraping along to the transfer window.

A team in the MLS doesn't make sense as a farm team IMHO. League and style of play is too different. You loan you players out to another club in England, and if they are good enough, a lower caliber team in the EPL.

BuSaPuNk
05-22-2013, 11:48 AM
I agree with brad. That is the way business is done in europe when it comes to player loans ect. However we are seeing and especially here a big influx of loan deals from top teir teams in EPL ect. I would think it might turn into not a full farm team but a place to put a player that you still have control of. Typically loan deals to other teams have term of length and such. If it's your own controlled team I can see the advantage.

TFC07
05-22-2013, 12:07 PM
MLS teams having partnership deals with big European clubs isn't that uncommon. Real Salt Lake have a partnership deal with Real Madrid while San Jose has a partnership deal with Tottenham.

jabbronies
05-22-2013, 12:14 PM
MLS teams having partnership deals with big European clubs isn't that uncommon. Real Salt Lake have a partnership deal with Real Madrid while San Jose has a partnership deal with Tottenham.

I guess teams partner with clubs that they would like to emulate - both in culture and playing style.
On that note, I heard rumblings of TFC having a deal with Madron FC of the Cornwall Mining League:

Here's a recent story on them:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/nov/30/worst-football-team-in-britain

Oldtimer
05-22-2013, 12:32 PM
I guess teams partner with clubs that they would like to emulate - both in culture and playing style.
On that note, I heard rumblings of TFC having a deal with Madron FC of the Cornwall Mining League:

Here's a recent story on them:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/nov/30/worst-football-team-in-britain :lol: not that recent, though.

Platts
05-22-2013, 12:34 PM
The thing that really really breaks my heart is that of all the teams in MLS that could compete with the likes of LAG , but more so this NYCFC entity is TFC.
We have have the big big market, along with the huge influence and CASH of a giant (actually 2) media company.
Two things will always thwart this opportunity though. Firstly, MLS will always engineer the best players to go to the two power teams on the coast, but horribly the second reason is the incompetence of MLSE, especially when they try to make a big splash. This will ensure we will never compete at their level, as a BIG club even in MLS.

We have to endure the cold corporate feel of a giant club, without any of the success. That is why supporters of the like of SKC and the Timbers will always be happier than us , even with limited success.

JM 2 cents

TFC07
05-22-2013, 01:11 PM
The thing that really really breaks my heart is that of all the teams in MLS that could compete with the likes of LAG , but more so this NYCFC entity is TFC.
We have have the big big market, along with the huge influence and CASH of a giant (actually 2) media company.
Two things will always thwart this opportunity though. Firstly, MLS will always engineer the best players to go to the two power teams on the coast, but horribly the second reason is the incompetence of MLSE, especially when they try to make a big splash. This will ensure we will never compete at their level, as a BIG club even in MLS.

We have to endure the cold corporate feel of a giant club, without any of the success. That is why supporters of the like of SKC and the Timbers will always be happier than us , even with limited success.

JM 2 cents

Not only that, but we got fanbase who don't demand more from TFC/MLSE. We let them get away with a lot of BS. TFC can become a big club in MLS (especially bigger club than other 2 Canadian clubs) but it has to start with us (fans) to demand more. Hiring proper coaches, get more better players, invest in more in scouting, academy etc. to build a proper soccer club.

Our only hope is Tim Leiweke to change the culture and rebrand TFC (seriously, this club needs an identity). Kevin Payne isn't custom to build a team around superstar players so I don't have much confidence with him now than I did before he joined TFC.

Dave67
05-22-2013, 01:15 PM
Well if it was difficult for Toronto to draw world class, name brand players before, it's going to be even harder after 2015. Anyone with big name recognition will be going to LA, NY1 or NY2 long before they consider Toronto.

TFC07
05-22-2013, 01:29 PM
Well if it was difficult for Toronto to draw world class, name brand players before, it's going to be even harder after 2015. Anyone with big name recognition will be going to LA, NY1 or NY2 long before they consider Toronto.

Toronto back in NASL had players like Eusebio and Roberto Bettega. Plus, it's all about money which ownership has plenty of cash to get a superstar player. Also, those 3 teams are limited to 3 DP's. So there's plenty of big name players out there to TFC to sign.

OgtheDim
05-22-2013, 01:37 PM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/may/22/manchester-city-new-york-claudio-reyna

I'm thinking that is possibly a mistake. Hired because of name, not because of MLS knowledge.

Dave67
05-22-2013, 07:37 PM
Toronto back in NASL had players like Eusebio and Roberto Bettega. Plus, it's all about money which ownership has plenty of cash to get a superstar player. Also, those 3 teams are limited to 3 DP's. So there's plenty of big name players out there to TFC to sign.

Sure, but my point is things get harder with a second NY team. If Red Bull still owns a team it's not like they are going to roll over and die. They still have gobs of cash. Toronto drops further down the ladder of desirable big cities for a star to play in. If NY1, NY2 and LA are all offering a household name star a spot then Toronto can throw all the money they have at them and they won't be coming.

prizby
05-22-2013, 10:47 PM
Has MLS crossed its own line with its new franchise owner? Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan (owner of the private group that owns Man City and will own NYC2) is the deputy prime minister of the United Arab Emirates...a country that jails members of the LGBT community.

Richard
05-22-2013, 11:49 PM
^ Money talks, no way MLS turns down an offer like this.

jabbronies
05-23-2013, 08:49 AM

We don't need big name stars. We need players that can deliver. Prime example is Danny Koevermans. He wasn't a big name star, but he can score goals and proved when he got here.

Dave67
05-23-2013, 09:14 AM
We don't need big name stars. We need players that can deliver. Prime example is Danny Koevermans. He wasn't a big name star, but he can score goals and proved when he got here.

We need big name stars. The fans have left, supporters have taken to watching on tv instead of going to games, the team stinks to high heaven. TFC needs big name stars now more than ever. The other route does not work for TFC. Dero, DeGuzman, Frings, Koevermans, Guevara etc.. these guys have never produced winning teams.

Koevermans is 34 and coming off injury, he may not even last the season. He sure is a guy who worked out for us, but we miss far more than we hit with these types of signings. It is not our front offices strength.

Anyway, my point is that another NY team will make it even harder for TFC to sign big name talent. I think TFC supporters want to steer clear of this like the plague, maybe instead of big name talent I should say big talent. The Henry's and Beckham's of the world didn't just become big name talent by being sexy, they were great players too.

Yohan
05-23-2013, 09:22 AM
We need big name stars. The fans have left, supporters have taken to watching on tv instead of going to games, the team stinks to high heaven. TFC needs big name stars now more than ever. The other route does not work for TFC. Dero, DeGuzman, Frings, Koevermans, Guevara etc.. these guys have never produced winning teams.

Koevermans is 34 and coming off injury, he may not even last the season. He sure is a guy who worked out for us, but we miss far more than we hit with these types of signings. It is not our front offices strength.

Anyway, my point is that another NY team will make it even harder for TFC to sign big name talent. I think TFC supporters want to steer clear of this like the plague, maybe instead of big name talent I should say big talent. The Henry's and Beckham's of the world didn't just become big name talent by being sexy, they were great players too.
fans will come back once TFC starts winning consistently. if TFC can attract a big name player who can still perform, great. I'd love to have them to put TFC over the top. but signing a big name player just to get fans back on the stands? no thanks. (Robbie Keane, hell yes. Marquez hell no)

jabbronies
05-23-2013, 11:11 AM

TFC have never been able sign a big name like an Henry or a Beckham.
Frings is the closest thing we've had to a big name and the only reason we did get him was because of the Winter and Klinnsmen connection. We no longer have that level of European connection within the club.

Having another team in NYC does not further hinder our ability to sign a big name because we were never able to do it in the first place!

This new NYC team has a lot of pull in the sports world with both the Yankees and ManCity behind them.
This isn't a case of "another team ahead of us on the list to pick up big names". We are not even on the list that an LA, NYC or even Seattle are on. We are a small team with small connections - w are on the same list as a Columbus or Kansas City.

We need to start learning how to win with the Dero's, Koevs, DeGuzmans etc. because talented players with minimal name recognition behind them is the best we will get.

Dave67
05-23-2013, 11:49 AM
My last word. Another team in NY with gobs of cash hinders TFC's chances to grab a name brand player. There's only so many that will come to MLS in the first place and now they have yet another place to stop that isn't Toronto.

Toronto needed to hire a competent, qualified coach with a history of success. They didn't do it. The minimal recognition guys won't put us over the top without quality leadership. We don't have it.

Oldtimer
05-23-2013, 03:36 PM
Toronto needed to hire a competent, qualified coach with a history of success. They didn't do it. The minimal recognition guys won't put us over the top without quality leadership. We don't have it.

They didn't do it because they were being cheap. They didn't do it because no coach in his right mind with a pedigree would come here given the less than 1 season lifespan of coaching here. There is no choice, and if your hopes of winning depend on bringing a "competent, qualified coach with a history of success," then you might as well give up now. TFC's best hope at this point is getting some promising new coach.

If the new management can show that coaches can now last here at least a few seasons, then you can start talking about hiring someone with experience.

Dave67
05-23-2013, 06:41 PM
They didn't do it because they were being cheap. They didn't do it because no coach in his right mind with a pedigree would come here given the less than 1 season lifespan of coaching here. There is no choice, and if your hopes of winning depend on bringing a "competent, qualified coach with a history of success," then you might as well give up now. TFC's best hope at this point is getting some promising new coach.

If the new management can show that coaches can now last here at least a few seasons, then you can start talking about hiring someone with experience.

I created a new thread for the coach vs player question since I think I'm derailing the NY thread. Any world class player wouldn't be swayed by an extra million Toronto might throw it's way. I strongly believe a quality coach with a proven track record could easily be swayed by an extra half million.

brad
05-24-2013, 07:21 AM
I don't think there will be any first team players coming over here to play in the summer. Big players want a summer vacation too. I dion't think any new Yorkers are going to get excited seeing MCFC reserve players. The cosmos played 35 years ago and people back then were willing to travel to the meadowlands to see them not so much anymore.

The teams from the game in St Louis yesterday - doesn't look to shabby to me:

Chelsea: Cech; Azpilicueta, Ivanovic, Cahill, Christensen; Mikel; Mata, Benayoun, Loftus-Cheek, Cole; Ba

Manchester City: Hart; Zabaleta, Kompany, Rekik, Clichy; Garcia, Y Toure; Rusnak, Tevez, Silva; Aguero

habstfc
05-24-2013, 04:45 PM
Exhibition holiday game not a full season. I don't get what you're trying to say.

Yohan
07-05-2013, 03:13 PM
http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2013/07/05/the-economics-behind-new-yorks-100-million-mls-team/

worth a read and watch

tfcleeds
07-07-2013, 09:19 AM
And the speculation begins...expect we'll be hearing lots more of this type of stuff.

Manchester City are also keen to offer Gareth Barry a new contract and give him the chance to ‘swap’ to their MLS franchise, New York City, reports the Sunday People. Barry has just one year remaining on his current deal and has been linked with a return to former club Aston Villa.

jloome
07-08-2013, 05:42 PM
Has MLS crossed its own line with its new franchise owner? Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan (owner of the private group that owns Man City and will own NYC2) is the deputy prime minister of the United Arab Emirates...a country that jails members of the LGBT community.

While I laud the sentiment, the U.S. is the most morally compromised free market system that ever existed. I'm not saying boundless enthusiasm for theft, graft, political machination and greed don't have their upsides, but unfortunately not for many. It's as Bill Maher said of the King James Bible: with all the murder, rape, incest, theft and utter civil degradation it manages at times to endorse, you'd be better off with the Rick James bible.

Haddy
10-24-2013, 09:25 PM
Here's something I stumbled upon on new york's potential stadium. It was posted two months ago on Reddit by a reporter. He had contacted the league asking for comment.

This is for the pier 40 site in Manhattan - which sounds very unlikely right now.

http://www.reddit.com/r/MLS/comments/1jicmd/leaked_renderings_of_the_proposed_mls_stadium_on/

http://i.imgur.com/yVi1Tdtl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/4sPR5Mol.jpg

More pics here http://m.imgur.com/a/jdPL6

cmonyoureds
10-25-2013, 12:30 PM
Roof.

I have nothing further to say.
:flare:

Haddy
12-11-2013, 07:55 AM
According to the Post, the Bronx has won the stadium location battle.

$400-mil for a 28,000 seater. Part of the cost involves relocating existing facilities elsewhere.

http://nypost.com/2013/12/10/bronx-scores-400m-soccer-stadium/

brad
12-11-2013, 10:59 AM
Kries is their manager

ManUtd4ever
12-11-2013, 11:16 AM
Fantastic hire for NYC FC.

Yohan
04-14-2014, 07:46 PM
at least 3 yrs at Yankees stadium

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/15/sports/soccer/new-york-city-fc-to-play-at-yankee-stadium-for-three-years.html?ref=sports&_r=2

Redcoe15
04-14-2014, 07:49 PM
We need to make, at least, one road trip to New York and Yankee Stadium as a group. Next year, hopefully.

Cashcleaner
04-15-2014, 12:36 AM
at least 3 yrs at Yankees stadium

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/15/sports/soccer/new-york-city-fc-to-play-at-yankee-stadium-for-three-years.html?ref=sports&_r=2

3 years at Yankee Stadium, eh? I guess it will be doable, but baseball has an incredibly intense schedule and NYCFC will be at a clear disadvantage as long as it's playing out of that venue. According to the article above and a few others, the NIMBYs in New York continue to shoot down plans for a dedicated SSS in the city; which leads me to question MLS's expansion plans yet again. Was New York really the best choice to put the league's 20th franchise?

Redcoe15
04-15-2014, 04:17 AM
3 years at Yankee Stadium, eh? I guess it will be doable, but baseball has an incredibly intense schedule and NYCFC will be at a clear disadvantage as long as it's playing out of that venue. According to the article above and a few others, the NIMBYs in New York continue to shoot down plans for a dedicated SSS in the city; which leads me to question MLS's expansion plans yet again. Was New York really the best choice to put the league's 20th franchise?

As far as MLS is concerned, yes.

kodiakTFC
04-15-2014, 12:51 PM
Yankee Stadium for soccer below. Its not entirely atrocious.

http://www.soccerbyives.net/images/2014/02/YankeeStadiumSoccer1-Getty.jpg

Cas87
04-15-2014, 12:59 PM

I am hoping that the first visitor to score runs to home plate and does and home run swing as their celebration.

ManUtd4ever
04-15-2014, 01:13 PM

Not that bad at all compared to other venue sharing situations in the league. The location in of itself should lend itself to strong attendance figures during the honeymoon stages of the franchise.

Pint
04-15-2014, 01:24 PM
This also means that MLS schedule will have to be done around MLB schedule and I wonder how long they need to lay the grass over the infield.

pdogg
04-15-2014, 01:35 PM
That was my first thought when I looked at it. The dirt mound, 1st and 2nd base areas will need to be ripped up/resodded before and after each game.

C.Ronaldo
04-15-2014, 02:39 PM
Not that bad at all compared to other venue sharing situations in the league. The location in of itself should lend itself to strong attendance figures during the honeymoon stages of the franchise.

does that field look short? or is it the camera lense?

ryan
04-15-2014, 03:51 PM
does that field look short? or is it the camera lense?

I'm sure it's within regulation size. 90-120m is the range.

jazzy
04-15-2014, 07:39 PM
seats way too far back from action.....although if the fans fall for it , mgmt loves keep that 'safe' distance btwn the players and seating. For me I'd never be a season ticket holder .......this worries me as acceptable for the future of MLS .

OgtheDim
04-15-2014, 08:35 PM

The NYTimes article indicated there might be an issue with covering the infield dirt with grass.

Cashcleaner
04-16-2014, 12:19 AM

I don't think it's a bad venue at all - for occasional nation team matches or friendlies. But I am concerned over how the field will hold up to both baseball and soccer on a regular basis.

For example, for the month of September this year, the Yankees are playing 17 games at home. Compare that to Toronto FC which will play at BMO Field no more than 4 games in the months of May and July, respectively.

I'm not saying things will or won't work out for NYCFC at Yankee stadium. I'm just concerned about how they are going to schedule their games around the Yankees and wondering if the pitch can hold up with such high usage.

nascarguy
04-16-2014, 09:03 AM
so NY red bulls should be renamed NJ red bulls