PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Tuesday,May,21

denime
05-21-2013, 05:47 AM
Mornin'

TFC TV

TFC's optimism is misplaced

(http://www.torontofc.ca/video)Trying Times (http://www.newsnow.co.uk/A/646601995?-19896:6206)

Same old same old from TFC

(http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/fletcher-on-mls-same-old-same-old-from-tfc/)Short-handed Crew edge anemic Toronto FC (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/short-handed-crew-edge-anemic-toronto-fc/)

(http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/fletcher-on-mls-same-old-same-old-from-tfc/)TFC Related Blogs !!

(http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?29582-TFC-MLS-blogs-thread)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshine-girl)

(http://www.torontofc.ca/video)
(http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/fletcher-on-mls-same-old-same-old-from-tfc/)

BuSaPuNk
05-21-2013, 07:03 AM
Morning D!

CoachGT
05-21-2013, 07:21 AM
Hearing the guys say there's no panic in the room is both good and bad. The good - this team has live on panic for most of the past few years. Even the times where we thought we had success, it was only an illusion, able to be blown away by one or more losses.

The bad - it seems that BMO field has become a place for other teams to come and get points again. We may be competitive, but, as in past years, all it takes is a single mistake and the opposition capitalizes on it and we're done. This has been a recurring theme over TFC's short existence. Combined with TFC's inability to capitalize on the mistakes of others (which is a bigger issue right now in my mind). While we may be "in" every game, I'm not sure how competitive we really are. There had better be a sense of urgency in the room, but that doesn't seem to be evident either.

Competitive teams get results. This team doesn't. Compare Winter's last few pressers with the latest ones from Nelsen and O'Leary. There are a lot of similar statements. Competitive. Bad luck. One or two mistakes, Short lapses of concentration. I'm not sure if we are playing to the level of the competition or if they are playing down to us, waking up for a few minutes, and then putting us in our place.

C.Ronaldo
05-21-2013, 08:13 AM
winter had games with flashes of brilliance.
I have not seen the same from Nelson.

Im just saying winter had a plan that we could see, even with Mariner in the way.

If Payne has a plan, which Im sure he does; its being hidden very well from us

Oldtimer
05-21-2013, 09:01 AM

Payne will tend to act rather than give platitudes like Winter, that's how he was in DC. What we are missing now are immediate results. This makes people fear that there will never be results, as irrational as that may be. I believe that much of this team will be gone by next year, so I'm not worried. The Summer transfer window will be key.

TFC07
05-21-2013, 09:07 AM
Bring back "total football"! I am personally have lost interest on TFC since they ditch "total football".

C.Ronaldo
05-21-2013, 09:11 AM
Payne will tend to act rather than give platitudes like Winter, that's how he was in DC. What we are missing now are immediate results. This makes people fear that there will never be results, as irrational as that may be. I believe that much of this team will be gone by next year, so I'm not worried. The Summer transfer window will be key.

Then under that pretense, winter and payne would be the better pair.

I just dont see it in Nelson, he hasnt been able to squeeze anything out of the current roster. Im not convinced Nelson is the man for the job.

C.Ronaldo
05-21-2013, 09:12 AM
Bring back "total football"! I am personally have lost interest on TFC since they ditch "total football".

Agree, there were some very entertaining games, even when we lost. I currently see way too much hoof ball.

TFC07
05-21-2013, 09:16 AM
Agree, there were some very entertaining games, even when we lost. I currently see way too much hoof ball.
Agreed. I don't understand why people prefer hoof ball or Nelsen's counter attack soccer over attacking soccer. Only thing I didn't like about Winter's team was they didn't pressure upfront as much as they should have (MLS defenders aren't good with the ball with their feet). Besides that, we played probably some of best and exciting soccer under Winter compare to other TFC teams.

It was too bad we had people like Mariner in TFC FO who didn't like Winter's style of play and probably went out their way to undermine what Winter was trying to do.

Oldtimer
05-21-2013, 09:28 AM
Then under that pretense, winter and payne would be the better pair.

I just dont see it in Nelson, he hasnt been able to squeeze anything out of the current roster. Im not convinced Nelson is the man for the job.

Yes, that's a good question. When you get someone without a track record (as sterling as his team captain record was), there is always a question about how good he will be. I guess I'm waiting to see how well he will do with an improved roster after the transfer window. That should give a better indication because when you have a team this bad, it's hard to develop a winning strategy whether you are good or not so good. (I guess Preki could have made something of this team with his 11 men behind the ball approach, but that wouldn't still be a playoff team).

Oldtimer
05-21-2013, 09:29 AM
Agreed. I don't understand why people prefer hoof ball or Nelsen's counter attack soccer over attacking soccer. Only thing I didn't like about Winter's team was they didn't pressure upfront as much as they should have (MLS defenders aren't good with the ball with their feet). Besides that, we played probably some of best and exciting soccer under Winter compare to other TFC teams.

It was too bad we had people like Mariner in TFC FO who didn't like Winter's style of play and probably went out their way to undermine what Winter was trying to do.

To be fair, counter-attacking is the classic MLS style, used by winning coaches like Bruce Arena. That's not to say that an attacking style couldn't work, it just would be hard to find American college players who could play that style well. You'd have to depend almost 100% on your academy (and no one here has the patience for that, even if we could develop that many players).

BuSaPuNk
05-21-2013, 09:36 AM
Ephriam is heading back to QPR.

@24thminute: @BuSaPuNk @JohnMolinaro @jasondevos They indicated that he's going back, yes

TFC07
05-21-2013, 09:38 AM
To be fair, counter-attacking is the classic MLS style, used by winning coaches like Bruce Arena. That's not to say that an attacking style couldn't work, it just would be hard to find American college players who could play that style well. You'd have to depend almost 100% on your academy (and no one here has the patience for that, even if we could develop that many players).

Which I personally supported (not fan of NCAA soccer and having 22-24 year old "rookies"). However, I am in minority in that department (which is sad because academy in the long term is the way to go of getting cheap young talented players especially as a Canadian team where Canadian slot is going to increase in the near future).

ManUtd4ever
05-21-2013, 09:48 AM
Hearing the guys say there's no panic in the room is both good and bad. The good - this team has live on panic for most of the past few years. Even the times where we thought we had success, it was only an illusion, able to be blown away by one or more losses.

The bad - it seems that BMO field has become a place for other teams to come and get points again. We may be competitive, but, as in past years, all it takes is a single mistake and the opposition capitalizes on it and we're done. This has been a recurring theme over TFC's short existence. Combined with TFC's inability to capitalize on the mistakes of others (which is a bigger issue right now in my mind). While we may be "in" every game, I'm not sure how competitive we really are. There had better be a sense of urgency in the room, but that doesn't seem to be evident either.

Competitive teams get results. This team doesn't. Compare Winter's last few pressers with the latest ones from Nelsen and O'Leary. There are a lot of similar statements. Competitive. Bad luck. One or two mistakes, Short lapses of concentration. I'm not sure if we are playing to the level of the competition or if they are playing down to us, waking up for a few minutes, and then putting us in our place. I'm starting to believe it's the latter. With our current roster, we have to play a near flawless game defensively just to keep the score respectable. We have very little in the way offensive creativity.

Futbolista
05-21-2013, 02:50 PM

Agreed...too many long balls and turn overs with this Euro Football we are playing now.

Yohan
05-21-2013, 03:18 PM
Agreed...too many long balls and turn overs with this Euro Football we are playing now.
i'm hoping it's a transition period, and the end product Nelsen wants is more of a ground based game. current squad cannot execute a ground passing game right now, and needs more players like Silva and Laba who can make a pass.

though Nelsen played under direct football managers for a long time, even if Redknapp is more of a blend of direct and ground passing game

Futbolista
05-21-2013, 03:27 PM
i'm hoping it's a transition period, and the end product Nelsen wants is more of a ground based game. current squad cannot execute a ground passing game right now, and needs more players like Silva and Laba who can make a pass.

though Nelsen played under direct football managers for a long time, even if Redknapp is more of a blend of direct and ground passing game

Silva and Laba are good control-passing players they just dont have many options up front. I hope Danny's return makes a different. For what I saw last game from Earnshaw he is hugging the ball too much lately. Those two miss chances he could it had pass it to an open player.
I like Nelsen direction at the begging, it looked promising. I just dont know if we are making the same mistake all over with so many players coming and going.

Yohan
05-21-2013, 03:44 PM
Silva and Laba are good control-passing players they just dont have many options up front. I hope Danny's return makes a different. For what I saw last game from Earnshaw he is hugging the ball too much lately. Those two miss chances he could it had pass it to an open player.
I like Nelsen direction at the begging, it looked promising. I just dont know if we are making the same mistake all over with so many players coming and going.
until end of Jul, it's basically an extended trial to see who is good enough to stick around

Futbolista
05-21-2013, 03:53 PM
until end of Jul, it's basically an extended trial to see who is good enough to stick around

agreed...work in progress, we'll see.

Yohan
05-21-2013, 05:09 PM
Koevermans

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/tfcs-koevermans-targeting-june-1-return/

ag futbol
05-21-2013, 05:11 PM
I have not seen the same from Nelson.

Im just saying winter had a plan that we could see, even with Mariner in the way.

It was a good plan, I don't think Aron Winter was te guy to make it happen though.

Flipityflu
05-21-2013, 06:17 PM
you know, if a team can't play longball very well, how exactly do you expect them to play 'total football'? in case you have forgotten, we weren't very good at 'total football' either.

i can understand the fustration (trust me, every time i see Bendik boot the ball away yet again, i want to bang my head against the wall, or more to the point, bang Bendik and Nelsons' heads against the wall), but total football needs skill throughout the squad, something we are well aware we do not have, and probably never will under the current salary cap system

oldtimer is right, we should be looking at counter attacking football as a better solution.

__wowza
05-21-2013, 07:14 PM

he did give me a reason to use my favourite TFC related chant to date during his VC win:

"there's only one aaron winter
there's only one aaron winter
we thought he was shite
for now he's alright
walking in a winter wonderland!"

unfortunately it was drowned out by "4 years in a row" :(