PDA

View Full Version : Could TFC be the gayest team in the MLS?

Abou Sky
05-16-2013, 01:04 PM
Gay 4 Soccer is putting together it's list of allies and we may not have the most fans, but I bet we can have the gayest team in the MLS

http://gay4soccer.com/allies/fan-allies/

Fort York Redcoat
05-16-2013, 01:08 PM
Changed title to match content.

To clarify: One hits the link and then what? Submits alliance with Gay4soccer?

Also this is really in support of May 17- International Day Against Homophobia

PopePouri
05-16-2013, 01:09 PM
Da fuq?

Phil
05-16-2013, 01:29 PM
Anytime there is a chance to take prejudice out of our society, its a good thing. Sexual prefrence should not be a basis of insult or hate.

billyfly
05-16-2013, 01:50 PM
http://ideas.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2013/05/15/economic_freedom_makes_countries_less_homophobic_b ut_not_less_racist

Somewhat related and pretty interesting.

Yagbod
05-16-2013, 02:30 PM
Portland is way ahead of other supporters groups in this initiative. Massive kudos to them.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/sites/league/files/TA-tifo.jpg

Yagbod
05-16-2013, 02:35 PM
Changed title to match content.

To clarify: One hits the link and then what? Submits alliance with Gay4soccer?

Also this is really in support of May 17- International Day Against Homophobia

I think it is a bit more than just that day. It is a way to signal that you are a friend and ally of GLBT people everywhere, but especially in sport/soccer. I think the site explains it pretty well. In fact I don't even see May 17 mentioned on the page in the link. It would be nice if we could show some support on the 18th, it being the next closest game day.

Phil
05-16-2013, 02:41 PM
I think it is a bit more than just that day. It is a way to signal that you are a friend and ally of GLBT people everywhere, but especially in sport/soccer. I think the site explains it pretty well. In fact I don't even see May 17 mentioned on the page in the link. It would be nice if we could show some support on the 18th, it being the next closest game day.

We will be supporting it as a group on our main page and facebook. Very inspiring stuff from the Timbers Army and others.

Fort York Redcoat
05-16-2013, 02:43 PM
^Just saying the date is coming up hence the spotlight but no, tolerance and support doesn't have a shelf life or best before date. It's always in style.

And if you have any ideas for action you want to put out there: go for it. It's a great initiative and I think it's great. It's also in 2 days.

Fort York Redcoat
05-16-2013, 02:45 PM
Portland is way ahead of other supporters groups in this initiative. Massive kudos to them.

Kudos to the display.

Section 8 from Chicago I believe deserves the credit for pioneering it in MLS last year.

Gilberto9
05-16-2013, 03:01 PM
Should issues like this really be discussed on a football forum? Issues like these is in accordance with politics and religion. Two topics that you don't mix with sports.

Haddy
05-16-2013, 03:02 PM

That's very typical of the City of Portland. It's always been a very progressive town in so many ways. Wish there were more places like it.

Phil
05-16-2013, 03:06 PM
Should issues like this really be discussed on a football forum? Issues like these is in accordance with politics and religion. Two topics that you don't mix with sports.

We are not really touching on the morility aspects - that is something for an individual to decide, just the effort to not allow it to be a basis of hate or prejudice in our sport.

Gordon was gifted a 3 game suspension for using homophobic slurs on the pitch.

Yagbod
05-16-2013, 07:02 PM
It's about human rights, not politics or religion. It's a no brainer really.

Unfortunately some people with no brains still don't get it.

Cashcleaner
05-17-2013, 12:14 AM

To be honest, that's not a completely invalid question. I generally don't like to mix sports with other more serious subjects either, but I would say that in this case, it's justified somewhat by the fact that very recently there has been a few high-profile athletes who have come out and rumours abound that many more may do so in the near-future as well. We're talking about the people who actually play the sport we focus on here, so I'm not adverse to participating in the discussion.

That said, I don't believe you're necessarily off-base either with your concern.

Phil
05-17-2013, 12:15 AM
Here is the message:

http://i.imgur.com/4sS0OBL.png

nfitz
05-17-2013, 12:26 AM
Should issues like this really be discussed on a football forum? Issues like these is in accordance with politics and religion. Two topics that you don't mix with sports.Normally I'd agree.

However, there's a lot of evidence that homophobia (and racism in some places) is still a big problem within soccer.

Brooker
05-17-2013, 05:28 AM
Hmmm... Let's dicuss this further at Steamworks.

Fort York Redcoat
05-17-2013, 07:01 AM
That's very typical of the City of Portland. It's always been a very progressive town in so many ways. Wish there were more places like it.

Me too. Like Toronto.

Flipityflu
05-17-2013, 07:08 AM
glad to see this...transcending sport to battle descrimination is one of the ways to stop people from hiding behind things like religion to hate/marginalize groups of people.

dupont
05-17-2013, 12:51 PM

Every gay person I know has moved to Toronto because of how accepted they feel here.. so I don't think we are doing too badly.

Technorgasm
05-17-2013, 03:39 PM
http://www.lolbrary.com/content/214/the-stop-sign-prank-46214.gif

[NBF]
05-17-2013, 06:23 PM

The only way for this to work in BMO Field would be for the maintenance crew to paint the spare seats rainbow colours.....and then give people a brochure and guide as to whats happening:)

Technorgasm....well done. I never seen that oneg:D

__wowza
05-17-2013, 07:11 PM
Every gay person I know has moved to Toronto because of how accepted they feel here.. so I don't think we are doing too badly.

tell that to the guys who used to kick the shit outt've me in highschool g:D

there's still a real problem with homophobia in north america, and toronto is no exception. i agree with pete, tolerance is always in style, but a specific showing can sometimes help highlight the fact that these issues still exist.

flamehawk
05-17-2013, 08:13 PM

Sports, as a public forum, will always be intertwined with politics. I think it's important to discuss these matters as a supporter's group - as both action and inaction puts out a message and can be considered a political act (ie. not speaking out on this issue is just as loud/'political' as not). While I don't usually support political positions taken up here (e.g. supporting the troops), I feel this position is an important one that is highly relevant to the sport.

flamehawk
05-17-2013, 08:16 PM
tell that to the guys who used to kick the shit outt've me in highschool g:D

there's still a real problem with homophobia in north america, and toronto is no exception. i agree with pete, tolerance is always in style, but a specific showing can sometimes help highlight the fact that these issues still exist.

Agreed 100%. I mentioned this before, but I participate in something called Queer West Soccer .. basically a space created for and by queer folks, in response to homophobia/heterosexism/gender policing experienced in most soccer spaces. I mean how often have we heard someone yell 'fag' during a game of pickup, or act like they're playing in the World Cup finals, acting like an aggressive ass to someone new to the game.

Shakes McQueen
05-17-2013, 08:21 PM
It's about human rights, not politics or religion. It's a no brainer really.

Unfortunately some people with no brains still don't get it.

Absolutely. Of course, religion for some means the belief that homosexuality is wrong, and that they are not "equal" at all.

Personally, I'd love to be on the forefront of not sticking our heads in the sand, and giving full-throated support to initiatives like this. Then again, I'm atheist, and believe this is a simple human rights issue, not a silly "moral" one.

- Scott

Abou Sky
05-17-2013, 10:32 PM
Agreed 100%. I mentioned this before, but I participate in something called Queer West Soccer .. basically a space created for and by queer folks, in response to homophobia/heterosexism/gender policing experienced in most soccer spaces. I mean how often have we heard someone yell 'fag' during a game of pickup, or act like they're playing in the World Cup finals, acting like an aggressive ass to someone new to the game.

You're telling me that there is somewhere I can play rec soccer and suck and people won't get really mad at me?

flamehawk
05-17-2013, 11:14 PM
You're telling me that there is somewhere I can play rec soccer and suck and people won't get really mad at me?

Exactly :) We basically have a rule around 'playing to ability'. So if you're more experienced and defending against someone new you give them more space, but can play more seriously when the opponent is experienced.

PM me if you want more info.

Yagbod
05-17-2013, 11:52 PM
You know, today was the day and tomorrow we may see more signs of support around the league. I applaud the stance that RPB has taken and am really blown away by the discussion here. I expected worse.

The thing is, we aren't stuck just honouring this day and weekend. This is an issue that is always present and important. We can still do something in a future match. Some sort of Tifo or banner to publicly show Toronto Supporters care and want to say something.

I would be more than happy to help organize if others feel the same and want to come out and help. What say you?

Haddy
05-23-2013, 08:24 AM

Toronto, at least on this topic, is another city that has done well to stay ahead of the curve. My point was that it's very unfortunate more cities haven't joined the party.

We watch football...for the football. Not the other stuff. Robbie Rogers is a good player and should not have to retire (at least temporarily) just to be himself.

I can't believe I'm quoting Flava Flav but at this year's Rock HOF induction he said, "There is only one race. The human race."

I'm very proud RPB supports equality in all forms - on the pitch and off it.