PDA

View Full Version : Going to my first MLS game- help me figure out how ticketing works

hulkrogan
05-16-2013, 12:13 PM
I'm unfortunately living in a soccer wasteland (Calgary) and have never seen a live MLS match. I'll be making the journey to Portland Sept. 7 with a bunch of guys on a road trip with the purpose of catching the TFC match.

I see I can buy single game tickets on the Timbers site, but I was curious if they have a section specificially for oposition fans, and how I would go about getting a hold of some of those?

I can't wait! I'm a little sad it's taken me this long, but I hope the wait was worth it!

FreekAce
05-16-2013, 01:23 PM
here's a crazy idea. send the Portland FO an email...

OgtheDim
05-16-2013, 01:24 PM
They have no designated away supporter spot on their site but I'm sure if you call there ticket sales line they'd get you somewhere decent, photogenic enough for a camera shot if need be, and safe.

If you go, and wear TFC gear, let us all know in the thread for that match, so we can know who those intrepid TFC people are.

That's a bit of a trip. How long it going to take to get there?

Detroit_TFC
05-16-2013, 02:14 PM
I'm planning on being there so there will be a few. Calling the Portland FO ticket folks probably best bet, I believe clubs are required to hold a few away tickets aside until a couple weeks before gameday.

hulkrogan
05-16-2013, 02:16 PM
Perfect, thanks guys! Google says it's about 13 hours, so should be do-able in a day no problem. When we drive down to Moab for biking (1,800km) it's usually a couple hours faster than google says.

TOBOR !
05-16-2013, 02:20 PM
I'm unfortunately living in a soccer wasteland (Calgary) and have never seen a live MLS match. I'll be making the journey to Portland Sept. 7 with a bunch of guys on a road trip with the purpose of catching the TFC match.

I see I can buy single game tickets on the Timbers site, but I was curious if they have a section specificially for oposition fans, and how I would go about getting a hold of some of those?

I can't wait! I'm a little sad it's taken me this long, but I hope the wait was worth it!

You're bound to have a blast no matter where you end up. That's a great venue for a match.

Rumour has it there's a move on to get Calgary an NASL team - what's the excitement level like concerning the subject ?

hulkrogan
05-16-2013, 03:39 PM
Rumour has it there's a move on to get Calgary an NASL team - what's the excitement level like concerning the subject ?

There has actually been a lot of soccer talk around Calgary these days as the Flames are planning on replacing the Saddledome. The Flames also own the Stampeders, Roughnecks (lacrosse) and Hitmen (WHL) so they are beginning to look like they are trying to create a mini MLSE. There is a recent rumor that the new arena will be part of a multi-sport complex, containing a new stadium. There is lots of talk of people hoping the stadium will be MLS suitable or at least a gateway to one day getting a soccer specific stadium.

The NASL issue is an interesting one. Obviously a successful NASL franchise would be a great stepping stone to MLS. The city as it is, with really no decent venues at all for soccer, seems set up for failure. I think there is enough interest that a professional soccer franchise could be viable here, but they have to be careful to do it right. There is not the population base to screw it up and assume fans will keep coming out (.... says the TFC fan.... haha). I really, really hope we see MLS in my lifetime. I'll suport whatever form of soccer we get here as my effort to make it happen. Sadly I think realistically we are decades away from any sniff at MLS, and then there is the whole climate issue.... We would definitely be on turf.

hulkrogan
08-12-2013, 06:36 PM
Completely irrelevant bump, but I'm too excited not too. Bought my flights for Portland today (some of my buddies couldn't take enough days off to drive) and I will be watching my first TFC match in person September 7! Next year I'll have to make the trip to BMO. I should have bought tickets back when this thread was started as now everything is sold out besides the Timbers Army section, but it's not too crazy on Stubhub.

prizby
08-13-2013, 08:03 AM
Completely irrelevant bump, but I'm too excited not too. Bought my flights for Portland today (some of my buddies couldn't take enough days off to drive) and I will be watching my first TFC match in person September 7! Next year I'll have to make the trip to BMO. I should have bought tickets back when this thread was started as now everything is sold out besides the Timbers Army section, but it's not too crazy on Stubhub.

again, contact the FO; Portland have to hold away tickets up to 2 weeks before the match

Initial B
08-13-2013, 08:50 AM
I went to the Vancouver-Philly game with my family on vacation a couple of weeks ago. I had a friend who was a season ticket holder there purchase some tickets through the club. I guess $200 for 5 seats behind the goal isn't too bad...

elDirty
08-13-2013, 09:35 AM
Definately get a hold of the Timber's FO; they'll have some set aside for visiting supporters. Let them know that you're with RPB and that it's not an organized trip.

Here's the link for contact info - http://timbersarmy.org/portland-guide/visiting-fan-tickets

hulkrogan
08-13-2013, 10:12 AM
Unfortunately a few of the guys that are making the trip aren't huge MLS fans (yet) and wanted to sit more central, but that is definitely my plan for next time. Thanks though!

hulkrogan
08-22-2013, 11:08 AM
New jersey just arrived in the mail from Ontario. Yesssssss!!! I can't wait to wear it all over Portland and Seattle.

Initial B
08-22-2013, 11:18 AM
^ For a minute, I read that as "New Jersey", and was very confused.

hulkrogan
08-22-2013, 12:23 PM
^I would be too. I ordered New Hampshire, not New Jersey!