PDA

View Full Version : Bobby Convey thread

Yohan
05-16-2013, 11:16 AM
http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2013/05/toronto-trades-bobby-convey

Dude lost a lot of fire he used to have and seems to be coasting along. SKC is pretty stacked though and Convey at 200k is too expensive for depth player. Salary dump move by SKC, but a move to Toronto may be what Convey needs to rejuvenate his career. I like having natural left footer as a winger. Can't argue with Convey's pedigree, and his age at soon to be 30. He has been playing professional since his teen days. Hopefully he's got something left in his tank

TFC07
05-16-2013, 11:19 AM
So this means goodbye Bostock or Ephraim.

PopePouri
05-16-2013, 11:20 AM
Put him in at LB makes more sense.

Couchy81
05-16-2013, 11:20 AM
Cool, good depth move

Yohan
05-16-2013, 11:22 AM
Put him in at LB makes more sense.
I think Convey was pissed at Yallop because Yallop made him play LB

Fort York Redcoat
05-16-2013, 11:32 AM
After all we've given SJ I really hope this is a change of scenery that lets him steps up his game.

golaso.gol
05-16-2013, 11:39 AM
After all we've given SJ I really hope this is a change of scenery that lets him steps up his game.

Hes coming from KC, where his last good stretch of playing time was over a year ago.
Desperately need a wide (left) sided player, hopefully he can contribute as a short term fix.

Fort York Redcoat
05-16-2013, 11:43 AM
Hes coming from KC, where his last good stretch of playing time was over a year ago.
Desperately need a wide (left) sided player, hopefully he can contribute as a short term fix.

haha nice call. Don't know why I just assumed we were doing another trade with SJ I guess.

Nagamura and Peterson hardly make the same argument for me...

AlanO
05-16-2013, 12:13 PM
So this means goodbye Bostock or Ephraim.
Wouldn't be surprised if this trade means Ephraim is leaving soon. Convey's a LM and makes roughly the same money as Hogan.

Abou Sky
05-16-2013, 12:17 PM

Ya... SKC has SUCH a stacked midfield that I don't think being benched for Joseph, Nagamura, Feilharber, Sapong, Zusi is bad, I would take ANY of those players over Lambe or Ephraim.

T-boy
05-16-2013, 12:31 PM
I like the move. He's much better at wide midfield than full back, and I expect him to be used higher up the field. I can imagine that's the end for Bostock, not Ephraim.

TOBOR !
05-16-2013, 12:33 PM
I read this article in Nelsen and Caldwell's voices. The narrator was Morgan Freeman.

Full disclosure: I don't know what Caldwell sounds like. So he sounds like Mike Myers doing Shrek.

Gold :D

Initial B
05-16-2013, 12:58 PM
Convey was playing Left Winger in SKC's 4-3-3 at the start of the season, but hasn't got much a sniff at the field since. Regardless, he's an immediate upgrade in quality and I'm sure he'd be available for Saturday.

69Chevy396
05-16-2013, 01:15 PM
Convey was playing Left Winger in SKC's 4-3-3 at the start of the season, but hasn't got much a sniff at the field since. Regardless, he's an immediate upgrade in quality and I'm sure he'd be available for Saturday.
Probably one of the best trades this team has ever made. The team needs to add, not subtract, good American MLS players.

Oldtimer
05-16-2013, 01:19 PM
Gave up a third-rounder for him? Basically a bag of balls. I'll take that deal. :coolgleam:

MartinUtd
05-16-2013, 01:24 PM
Proven domestic player, I like it.

What's his health status?

Yohan
05-16-2013, 01:26 PM
Proven domestic player, I like it.

What's his health status?
stuck chasing nurses all the time

SiguenzaFC
05-16-2013, 01:29 PM
Convey is partially blind in his left eye due to optic nerve (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optic_nerve) damage.
-wikipedia

Lenscrafters for new TFC sponsor

ArmenJBX
05-16-2013, 01:31 PM
This year, the only supplemental draft pick making his name heard is Adam Jahn for San Jose Earthquakes (crazy, since they also pulled Wondo out of the later rounds), but Toronto's picks were Taylor Morgan, Jose Gomez, Nik Robson and Ashton Bennett, so Convey is a good trade for a player of that quality.

mowe
05-16-2013, 01:33 PM
Probably one of the best trades this team has ever made. The team needs to add, not subtract, good American MLS players.

Exactly right. The biggest problem with this team has been failure to identify and acquire MLS talent. This move is a step in the right direction.

Yohan
05-16-2013, 01:34 PM
KC supporters seem to say he is an injury problem but from 2011 earlier he seemed okay. Seemed great in 2010. For a supplemental pick we can't complain especially before seeing him play. Would have to be an upgrade on Lambe at least and good cover for when Ephraim is returned from loan.
at 200k I hope he's a starter most games.

mastermixer
05-16-2013, 01:38 PM
Convey was was available because KC has CJ Sapong and Zusi in his place.
Why can't TFC find a CJ Sapong or Graham Zusi instead of the player he benched?

Abou Sky
05-16-2013, 01:40 PM
at 200k I hope he's a starter most games.

KC may be picking up some of his hit (personal speculation), also IIRC because the season has started he is not full cap hit.

If we nix Ephraim it may be a man for man trade + we end up with an extra international spot.

I would take a bag of balls over the third round draft pick, at least you don't have to feed the balls.

Oldtimer
05-16-2013, 01:40 PM

Today? Tomorrow? For all you know we have the next Sapong in our academy, he's just not mature yet.

Abou Sky
05-16-2013, 01:45 PM

Dood, Graham Zusi is a diamond in a coal mine. He is better than players who make 20x as much (he gets $140k)

One does not just 'find' a player like Zusi, you get Bekker/Osorio and you make Zusi out of him.

Hitcho
05-16-2013, 01:51 PM
Today? Tomorrow? For all you know we have the next Sapong in our academy, he's just not mature yet.

Haha - image of the TFC Academy all sitting round the field after practice, and one by one standing up and shouting: I'M SAPONG!

:D

Ultra & Proud
05-16-2013, 02:05 PM

Because we (and the rest of MLS) hasn't drafted as well as KC has over the past few seasons.

golaso.gol
05-16-2013, 02:59 PM
One does not just 'find' a player like Zusi, you get Bekker/Osorio and you make Zusi out of him.

Interesting comment. Of course it brings up the question whether we believe the current coaching team (sorry i have lost count of how many coaches we have) are capable of taking young talented players like the two you mentioned and getting the best out of them over the long term so they become excellent. Our track record and current situation surely suggests otherwise.

mastermixer
05-16-2013, 03:04 PM

I hope your right. My comment was a hypothetical, questioning the performance of our Academy so far.

PopePouri
05-16-2013, 03:26 PM
Interesting comment. Of course it brings up the question whether we believe the current coaching team (sorry i have lost count of how many coaches we have) are capable of taking young talented players like the two you mentioned and getting the best out of them over the long term so they become excellent. Our track record and current situation surely suggests otherwise.

Also based on our track record, we'll be doomed to never get the best out of our players and we'll never make the playoffs...ever.

leafsman
05-16-2013, 03:57 PM
How long is he under contract for?

reggie
05-16-2013, 07:10 PM
i think hogan is gone soon probs in june,according to larsen on twitter from some mls piece...200k in 200k out and a intl slot.
thx for coming out...

Jpexxx
05-16-2013, 07:17 PM
Kurtis Larson ‏@KurtLarSUN (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN)16m (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN/status/335182536219164672)
Nelsen on Bobby Convey: "We will be losing Hogan Ephraim very soon" (Courtesy: http://mlssoccer.com (http://t.co/PowDeIZeWZ)) #TFC (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TFC&src=hash) #TorontoFC (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TorontoFC&src=hash)

Just for reference

Ivy
05-16-2013, 07:19 PM
NOOOOO!!!! NOT HOGAN!!! TAKE TERRY DAMN IT... TERRRYYYY!!!!! :o

reggie
05-16-2013, 07:24 PM
i was hoping for logan and hogan...

Auzzy
05-16-2013, 08:10 PM
Here's the exact link to the MLS article with quotes from Nelsen, and the bit about losing Hogan soon: http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/05/16/toronto-fc-coach-ryan-nelsen-believes-bobby-convey-can-make-positive-impact-

West220Side
05-16-2013, 08:14 PM
NOOOOO!!!! NOT HOGAN!!! TAKE TERRY DAMN IT... TERRRYYYY!!!!! :o

Id bet Dunny has scored more career goals then Ephraim. Boy shows no eye for goal.

Ajax TFC
05-16-2013, 10:22 PM
Id bet Dunny has scored more career goals then Ephraim. Boy shows no eye for goal.
He's probably completed more forward passes as well. And that says a lot considering it's Dunfield. The kid couldn't weight a ball properly if his life depended on it.

Corpand
05-16-2013, 10:31 PM
He truly reminds me of Robbie O'Brien in some elements, they were both up there with skill and quality. I am quite confident Convey will shine if he stays injury free.
Fantastic acquisition.

JohnnyEnglish
05-16-2013, 10:39 PM
Shrewd acquisition. A more versatile player than Ephraim, will certainly offer a lot more in terms of tracking back and sticking with his man. I believe he is in the final year of his contract so the Risk/reward seems very sensible. Little outlay, frees up and Int spot and adds experience.

Fort York Redcoat
05-17-2013, 06:51 AM
He truly reminds me of Robbie O'Brien in some elements, they were both up there with skill and quality. I am quite confident Convey will shine if he stays injury free.
Fantastic acquisition.

google search say

Did you mean Ronnie O'Brien?

http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/sports/photos/2008/07/20/ronnie392-cp,jpg.jpg

Corpand
05-17-2013, 08:25 AM
^^^
I gotta stop posting so late at night.

Fort York Redcoat
05-17-2013, 09:38 AM
^^^
I gotta stop posting so late at night.

haha it must be the thread. I confused the team he came from.:noidea:

burlington Red
05-18-2013, 10:57 PM
Convey didn't shine today, but it is difficult to come into a game like this and make an impact so soon.

Morlesio14
05-20-2013, 03:15 PM
Apparently he is a locker room cancer

Yohan
05-20-2013, 03:57 PM
Apparently he is a locker room cancer
My read of Convey last couple of years is that he thinks he deserves to be a starter. Certainly his playing resume suggests that he does have a case, and when he doesn't get his way, he becomes a bit petulant.

But Convey is not playing for Vermes or Yallop. He's playing for Nelsen, his old captain and Payne who was basically a father to him during his teen years in DC. I don't think Convey will easily piss them off.

Abou Sky
05-20-2013, 07:32 PM
Seems to me that he is happy to be here. He has friends and near family around him, he gets to start (unless we pick up some super wingers which isn't likely)

That was a painful game to watch but now that I have my head straight again I see that Nelsen treated that as a reserves game to get some guys minutes together.