PDA

View Full Version : TFC partnerships with teams worldwide

Yohan
05-08-2013, 08:47 AM
This link was posted elsewhere in the forum: http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/wellingtonphoenix/news-display/Brockie%20Joins%20Toronto%20On%20Loan/66774

But it brings up an interesting point in that the GM of the team feels the A-League off-season is too long (some have expressed that opinion about MLS too) and in a sense, a partnership between TFC and Wellington would make sense to resolve that problem (for those who agree it is one).

The two leagues play during each other's off-season. Brockie is obviously a top player for them. Wellington can loan us a top player or two in their off-season to expose them to higher level play. TFC in return can loan a squad player or two in our off-season in order to get them competitive game time that the reserve league doesn't really provide as much. Both leagues are salary-capped so there's not really cap-management issues (we can fit Wellington higher salaried players due to bigger cap and TFC squad players make less and would fit in better with the lower A-league cap) supposing the lending team doesn't pick up the tab entirely.

I could go and on but it seems to me there's a lot of potential in such a relationship. Thoughts?

I can see the potential benefits too. A League is lower quality than MLS, but still good level for developing players. Similar styles of play and even traveling requirements are same.

Problem is, A League has even more restrictions on foreign players and limited spots. Wellington would want players that can make immediate impact on first team. And they'd probably be limited to attacking players. And TFC won't like to give up players that can contribute to first team.

I'd like to see close coordination for TFC and Wellington to identify young players that needs game time, but can still contribute to Wellington. And very few TFC players fit that criteria IMO.

TOBOR !
05-08-2013, 08:53 AM
Do we still have terms with Bermuda Hogges ? I wonder...

Abou Sky
05-08-2013, 08:59 AM
IIRC they start in August, few people I would love to loan to get more experience and should be able to play first team:

A. Morgan
Richter (who I like a lot and I think could be quite a good player or worst case sub/depth)
D. Henry needs minutes and still has huge potential.
Osorio but we can probably send him back to C. America on loan if needed.
Bekker needs minutes
Quillan Roberts
Welshman
Wiedeman (He is 23 and may have potential if given a chance which he will never get in MLS)

IMO I would RATHER see these these guys go to NASL / PDL teams but I don't want to get rid of guys without making some sort of effort to develop talent.

CBTFC
05-08-2013, 09:21 AM
Yeah, it seems like SKC and Philly have created strong relationships with USL/NASL teams. Why can't we create the same with a team like the Pittsburgh Riverhounds?

TOBOR !
05-08-2013, 09:23 AM
^ if Bob Young ever sets up shop in Hamilton that would be a good choice.

SiguenzaFC
05-08-2013, 09:53 AM
IIRC they start in August, few people I would love to loan to get more experience and should be able to play first team:

A. Morgan
Richter (who I like a lot and I think could be quite a good player or worst case sub/depth)
Bekker needs minutes
Quillan Roberts
Welshman
Wiedeman (He is 23 and may have potential if given a chance which he will never get in MLS)

IMO I would RATHER see these these guys go to NASL / PDL teams but I don't want to get rid of guys without making some sort of effort to develop talent.

Richter has stepped up big in the gingers absence, I like his intensity at a fraction of the salary, I would keep him and trade the other RB for a proper winger.

Osorio has 2 goals from the CM position, he is Canadian and young, so Payne is not looking to loan him out...ohh, and we can't 'send him back' to C. America because he is born and raised in Toronto and his background is from Uruguay in SOUTH America

Lucky Strike
05-08-2013, 11:26 AM
I can see the potential benefits too. A League is lower quality than MLS, but still good level for developing players. Similar styles of play and even traveling requirements are same.

Problem is, A League has even more restrictions on foreign players and limited spots. Wellington would want players that can make immediate impact on first team. And they'd probably be limited to attacking players. And TFC won't like to give up players that can contribute to first team.

I'd like to see close coordination for TFC and Wellington to identify young players that needs game time, but can still contribute to Wellington. And very few TFC players fit that criteria IMO.

Very true. By squad players, that's exactly what I was getting at. Wellington wouldn't accept a bunch of players TFC picked at the supplemental draft just because. But neither is TFC going to send its best players, even if it's during the off-season in North America. I envision a player between those two extremes being sent over for development. The first names that come to mind are Doneil Henry (for minutes and experience), Ashtone Morgan (might help regain confidence if he's still struggling by year's end) and Ryan Richter (for minutes and experience). Can't think of any attacking players as you suggest though that would seem to make sense (in the same way attacking players are preferred in MLS as DPs).

But I think the overall concept is sound and TFC shouldn't necessarily limit itself to Wellington (though with this team it's easier to develop ties because of Nelsen) but should look to the A-League. Certainly, a relationship with a NASL or USL team woud probably accomplish most of the goals sought, but the A-League has the advantage of being a little tougher and they play in part during the MLS off-season. The downside of course, is the long travel to get there in the first place; it's not like you can recall a player because of an injury crisis or something. But if the idea is to send players for development during the MLS off-season, this negative point is made moot.

Lucky Strike
05-08-2013, 11:28 AM
Do we still have terms with Bermuda Hogges ? I wonder...

Good question. Along with Crazy Shorts, that do might have been sent to the scrap heap. As insane as looking to Bermuda for footballing talent (they don't have much) sounds, I hope the link hasn't been cut. Even if we get someone that's a squad player once every 2-3 years, it's seems worthwhile. Of course, I'm saying that not knowing what TFC gives in exchange. Obviously, there's a cost-benefit analysis to be done there.

Abou Sky
05-08-2013, 11:34 AM
Richter has stepped up big in the gingers absence, I like his intensity at a fraction of the salary, I would keep him and trade the other RB for a proper winger.

Osorio has 2 goals from the CM position, he is Canadian and young, so Payne is not looking to loan him out...ohh, and we can't 'send him back' to C. America because he is born and raised in Toronto and his background is from Uruguay in SOUTH America

Osorio needs as many minutes between now and spring 2014 as possible. Whether he goes back to Nacional in SOUTH America (excuse ignorance) or if he goes and plays in the A-Leauge for part of a season it will only make him better (except of course there is risk of injury)

Remember, most other leagues start in August, so for us to loan out a bunch of players does very little to hurt us long term. What would Richter look like with an additional 30 A-League games under his belt?

Yohan
05-08-2013, 11:43 AM
let's face it. Wellington doesn't want TFC defenders on a season long loan. (5 int spots in A league)

however, A league does have this 'guest player' mechanism, typically 4 week loans (eligible up to 10 games)

[NBF]
05-08-2013, 12:58 PM
Bermuda, is a tax haven for millionaires and billionaires. Cyprus is tax haven for millionaires and billionaires. Paul Mariner, was probably looking to set himself up for retirement at TFC's expense. Maybe, running a private academy under the TFC and MLS brand in either of those places and exagirating the cost to line his pockets.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ltjz4ob2jz1qg25fb.jpg

[NBF]
05-08-2013, 01:23 PM

A. Morgan
Richter (who I like a lot and I think could be quite a good player or worst case sub/depth

Bekker needs minutes

Quillan Roberts

Welshman

Yep, thats the reality, they need playing time and good coaching. TFC is expecting too much for players to go from the TFC Academy to the first team(20 player roster). I'm not sure what the relationship is between the Toronto Lynx and TFC, but coming out of the TFC Academy it would be best for the young players to go to the PDL and get a couple of years experience. Same for the players from the MLS Superdraft and Supplemental Draft. They need playing time in either the USL or the NASL.

There should be a progressive education for these players:

4. 1st Division(MLS),or 2nd Division(NASL)
3. Under 23 League(USL)
2. Under 20 League(PDL)
1. TFC Academy(Under 18)

TFC07
05-08-2013, 02:16 PM
TFC should loan players to Ottawa's NASL team (I believe they start playing in NASL next season). Also, there's rumours that Hamilton is looking for a pro soccer team. So TFC has options close by to develop their younger players while Ottawa (and hopefully Hamilton) get to use TFC players a marketing tool to get fans to their games and plus they can develop their own players to loan or sell them to TFC. So TFC doesn't have to look outside Canada for options. Loaning players to A-League is going to be hard while getting these players who count as international might not be worth it if TFC isn't going to buy them (we're just doing other team favours of developing their players with no rewards for us).

ag futbol
05-08-2013, 03:11 PM
Osorio is perfectly fine with TFC as it is. He gets enough minutes to continue his development and he's good enough to hack this level. Everyone is benefitting from where he is right now.

The others mentioned could all be likely loans though, if TFC ever managed to do one.