PDA

View Full Version : Frei's last game as a red.?

JavierMartini
05-02-2013, 06:56 PM
As bad is it may seem to be throwing frei under the bus, he put himself there. Before you jump on your horse and be a white knight go re watch every goal. A goalie is on the pitch to bail out defenders mistakes, now i know its hard work but all the goals in the montreal game frei made mistakes on. From attacking the ball with his feet, gaffing on blocking a cross, diving backwards, not pushing a ball over the bar, not holding onto the ball. The mistakes are in numbers and pile on one after the other. I'm not here to bash on the lad but he showed a great lapse in technique when he was needed to come up big. Every goal that was scored came so where frei makes a bad judgement call, shows poor goalkeeper technique and ultimatley dosent do his job.

Apart from Kocic bendik is arguably the best shot stopper we have had, As evident from last game frei is not recovering well from his injury. His shot stopping technique and critical decision making were atrocious. Personally I dont think he will get another game for the reds, nor would I put him back in the starting lineup.

I wish the MLS had a good established reserve league where he could go play to restore his confidence and cement his skills and reactions before playing for the 1st team again. Frei is one of my favourate players however he is playing like a slow shadow of himself :/

edit: when you re watch the replay watch how frei dives with his feet and not his hands,

On the first goal this stops him from cutting off the cross watch how frei dives with his feet and not his hands.
The second goal he cannot hold onto the ball, parrying it back into play .
The third goal he dives backwards with his feet (again) and the ball goes over his foot.
The fourth goal (again) he stays on his line then attacks the ball with his feet. Trying to slide tackle dive the ball
The fifth goal he parry's the ball back into the middle of his net, with one hand.
As for the sixth goal, it's honestly the only goal he shows proper goalkeeper technique, his body language shows he apparently gave up (i dont blame him)

Brooker
05-02-2013, 07:25 PM
You'd think he hadn't played a competitive game in ages. Awful.

ensco
05-02-2013, 07:38 PM
You missed a great thread title opportunity.

Frei should fry.
Frei us from this goaltending.
Freis to go.

My feeling?

Semper Frei.

Shakes McQueen
05-02-2013, 07:50 PM
You missed a great thread title opportunity.

Frei should fry.
Frei us from this goaltending.
Freis to go.

My feeling?

Semper Frei.

I blacked out for a minute or two around the time I got to "Freis to go"

- Scott

Ajax TFC
05-02-2013, 09:38 PM
Going into last season I thought of him as an overpaid backup that we should have traded in the off season (IMO Kocic proved in his half of the 2011 season that he was better). Now he has another season on the operating table under his belt. I almost wonder if Frei's hero status among many fans made him untouchable. In any case, every flaw in his game was seriously exposed last night

EDIT: Just realized this is my 1000th post here:pbjtime::michael::taz:

notthesun
05-02-2013, 09:51 PM
You'd think he hadn't played a competitive game in ages. Awful.

Yup. Frei is a lot better than what he showed yesterday, that's what happens when you've only played 90 competitive minutes in the past year.

Frei is easily good enough to be a starting MLS keeper, he just needs more minutes to get back to the level he was at before. He won't be getting that anytime soon here, which means it might be wise to look for a trade, but that also means we won't be getting much value in return if we do move him.

__wowza
05-02-2013, 09:58 PM
Going into last season I thought of him as an overpaid backup that we should have traded in the off season (IMO Kocic proved in his half of the 2011 season that he was better). Now he has another season on the operating table under his belt. I almost wonder if Frei's hero status among many fans made him untouchable. In any case, every flaw in his game was seriously exposed last night

these flaws were normally covered by a working back line.
i mentioned a couple of seasons back that he would've been a great bargaining chip in any trade talk, but now.. not so much.

Yohan
05-02-2013, 11:06 PM
getting kicked in the face really messed up Frei's career

mowe
05-02-2013, 11:56 PM
^ Ain't that the truth. Crazy how important luck is for an athlete's career.

Ajax TFC
05-03-2013, 08:54 AM
getting kicked in the face really messed up Frei's career
you mean diving head first to get to a ball that he was going to be second to in a friendly game messed up his career.

Yohan
05-03-2013, 08:57 AM
you mean diving head first to get to a ball that he was going to be second to in a friendly game messed up his career.
I prefer my interpretation of the event ;)

JavierMartini
05-05-2013, 02:49 AM
How is diving with your feet the fault of your back line? How can anyone on here joke at the clear lack of any goalkeeping technique displayed by stefan his last dive out.....

T-boy
05-05-2013, 08:20 AM
Can we all stop saying things like "this will be his last ever game", or "he will never be a pro footballer" when a guy has ONE bad game please?! This was one game....that's all. Frei has been out for a year, hardly played, will be rusty. One game isn't a career. One game isn't a season. Frei is a quality keeper, he was all our hero two years ago for making fantastic saves week in , week out. He isn't going to completely lose that quality overnight. Calm down guys, this was one game, one disasterous game. Don't throw a quality player under the bus after just one bad game.

Thomas Jacusy
05-09-2013, 05:35 AM
I am also agree with that we should be absorb smoothly the bad performance of any player in any game. We know he deserves in the team so that's why he is a part of the team and performing very well for the team. If he is a bad in one game so this is not a big issue.

69Chevy396
05-10-2013, 03:17 PM
Another wasted draft pick or another player we gave up on too soon because mgmt is stupid from beginning to end when relatingto player acquisition. Geez, lets get another useless QPR schmuck to take his place, that seems to be working out.

greatwhitenorf
05-10-2013, 06:39 PM
I'd never resort to singing 'He's just a shite... ", but his play had shades of Martin Fulop's last Premier League appearance written all over it.

G'wan, look it up. 2011-12 Prem Lge. season. Final week. West Brom 2-3 Arsenal.

greatwhitenorf
05-10-2013, 06:42 PM
I am also agree with that we should be absorb smoothly the bad performance of any player in any game. We know he deserves in the team so that's why he is a part of the team and performing very well for the team. If he is a bad in one game so this is not a big issue.

Tranquil thinking, nicely expressed. There is an immense dimensionality to it.

Brooker
05-10-2013, 07:34 PM
oops wrong thread.

JavierMartini
05-20-2013, 10:48 PM
Can we all stop saying things like "this will be his last ever game", or "he will never be a pro footballer" when a guy has ONE bad game please?! This was one game....that's all. Frei has been out for a year, hardly played, will be rusty. One game isn't a career. One game isn't a season. Frei is a quality keeper, he was all our hero two years ago for making fantastic saves week in , week out. He isn't going to completely lose that quality overnight. Calm down guys, this was one game, one disasterous game. Don't throw a quality player under the bus after just one bad game.

If he was making proper choices ie. diving with his hands. I wouldn't have posted this, hopefully the gk coach went over video with him and beat it into his head on how to dive properly.