PDA

View Full Version : Designed Players - not what you might think

Detroit_TFC
04-29-2013, 03:02 PM
A blogger did some research and pulled some stats about MLS DPs. He found out they are mostly 1) not old, 2) not from Europe, and 3) not really paid as much as you'd think.

http://www.recklesschallenge.net/designated-player-myths-and-realities/

Red I
04-29-2013, 03:32 PM
At 21 years, 5 months, and 16 days old he’s not the youngest DP ever signed – that would be Fabián Castillo, who signed for FC Dallas in 2011 at 18 years, 9 months and 19 days.

Factually incorrect; i believe he was not originally signed as a DP? I could be wrong, but i believe that to be the case...

Red I
04-29-2013, 03:42 PM
So the average DP is 29 – old, but not necessarily over-the-hill. The trend is that DP’s are getting younger, and aren’t all past their prime.

Pretty subjective argument that 29 is not that old...

While it's pretty clear that the avg. age is going down (i would think the median age should be used, no?) when the financial situation for the premier clubs in Europe improve, show me the data again, and i'm sure this may change - macroeconomic factors, as well as increased visibility in MLS globally may lead to younger DP's, but to which each factor is weighted remains to be seen

OgtheDim
04-29-2013, 03:48 PM
He uses the country a person was born in to indicate where a player came from.

Not many people would call Cahill a player who came from Australia.

Sorry, those stats are kinda cherry picked.

Red I
04-29-2013, 03:51 PM

+1 yuuuup

prizby
04-29-2013, 04:11 PM
Factually incorrect; i believe he was not originally signed as a DP? I could be wrong, but i believe that to be the case...

he was signed as a DP; his status was to only last for one year (his salary isn't DP, but combined with the transfer fee, it made it DP)...the next year, however, MLS introduced the young DP rule, so i figure between salary and transfer fee, that number landed somewhere between young DP and actual DP, so they reverted his contract to DP status to continue, so Dallas could save a few bucks on the cap

JuliquE
04-29-2013, 04:42 PM
You're right -- it's not what I was thinking; thought you had discovered a way to bring the players you create in FIFA 2013 to life, judging from the title.

mdc 77
04-30-2013, 08:19 AM

Cahill grewup in Aus. if I'm not mistaken, didnt go to England until late teens I believe. I see what you are saying, that as a player he came from Europe. Which I guess is fair if hes trying to debunk a myth of dp's being from Europe. Still most are from CONCACAF.