PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Thursday,Apr.25

denime
04-25-2013, 05:39 AM
Mornin'

TFC TV

(http://www.torontofc.ca/video)TFC make impact at Amway Championship

(http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/tfc-make-impact-at-amway-championship/)
Reserves power TFC to first-leg win (http://www.torontosun.com/2013/04/24/reserves-power-tfc-to-first-leg-win-over-montreal)

Nelsen Happy With First Leg Win

(http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2013/04/nelsen-happy-first-leg-win) Reds blank Impact in first leg of ACC

(http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2013/04/reds-blank-impact-first-leg-acc) ACC: TFC 2, MTL 0

(http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/acc-tfc-2-mtl-0/) TFC defeat Impact; Whitecaps beat Edmonton in Canadian Championship semi-final (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/tfc-defeat-impact-whitecaps-beat-edmonton-in-canadian-championship-semi-final/article11540333/)

Canadian Championship: Toronto FC's Ryan Nelsen hails squad's depth after win over Impact (http://www.newsnow.co.uk/A/642114510?-19896:6206)

Toronto FC down Impact in 1st semifinal leg of Canadian championship (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2013/04/24/sp-soccer-torontofc-montreal-impact-canadian-championship.html)

Canadian Championship: Toronto FC downs Montreal Impact in opening leg of pointless sideshow: Kelly (http://www.newsnow.co.uk/A/642109665?-19896:6206):facepalm:

TFC Related Blogs !!

(http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?29582-TFC-MLS-blogs-thread)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshine-girl)
(http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2013/04/reds-face-union-philadelphia)
(http://www.torontofc.ca/video)

Wagner
04-25-2013, 05:56 AM
I really don't have any time for Cathal Kelly.

I suggest writing the Star and letting them know you're tired of his horrible writing and horrible takes.

Address the email to Kathy English.

"The Star's Public Editor's Office welcomes reader comments and complaints about news and feature content in the print and online editions. If you have information about a possible error that calls for a published correction, please e-mail publiced@thestar.ca "

and while you're at it, might as well include:

Sports
Editor: Jon Filson
Phone: 416-814-2749
Email: sports@thestar.ca

Derko
04-25-2013, 06:04 AM

I suggest writing the Star and letting them know you're tired of his horrible writing and horrible takes.

"The Star's Public Editor's Office welcomes reader comments and complaints about news and feature content in the print and online editions. If you have information about a possible error that calls for a published correction, please e-mail publiced@thestar.ca "

Sports

The same can be said for the pointless International Hockey Tournaments, like the one that is played during the NHL Playoffs, where the LOSERS get picked up by the various National Teams, to play Road hockey against one another.

Really enjoyed the game last night, it was good to see the depth players have some glory, now play the first team next week and really put on a show.

OgtheDim
04-25-2013, 06:41 AM
Kelly writes to get eyeballs.

Its what the Star does.

Hume

Di Manno

Kelly

I usually agree with Hume but they are still writing for Google News SEO maximization.

Best ignore them.

keem-o-sabi
04-25-2013, 06:57 AM
Coed Girls 1 (http://www.modelmayhem.com/823432), 2 (http://www.hollywoodtuna.com/?p=93034), 3 (http://www.hollywoodtuna.com/?p=93049)

ManUtd4ever
04-25-2013, 07:24 AM
Agreed regarding Cathal Kelly. "Pointless sideshow" to qualify for the CCL? Really?

If it's meaningless he should do all Canadian soccer fans a favor and stop covering the tournament.

What a disgrace.

Brooker
04-25-2013, 07:47 AM
No Canadian or American team has ever won the most recent incarnation of the continental club championship. It’s conceivable that none ever will.

Oh I wouldn't be so sure about that. Has he been paying attention? RSL anyone? They were inches from doing it.

Oldtimer
04-25-2013, 08:09 AM
Oh I wouldn't be so sure about that. Has he been paying attention? RSL anyone? They were inches from doing it.[/FONT][/COLOR]

RSL was exactly one goal away from doing it in 2011, just one single goal. They would have then advanced on the away goals rule 2 away goals to 1.

Auzzy
04-25-2013, 08:16 AM

Sports

I'm worried we may be reading much more from Kelly. Dan Girard just left the Star this past week. (Probably part of the big cuts at The Star.) Although I didn't like Dan's interview style, I thought his articles were decent (in those cases where he was even assigned to cover a game). Fairly accurate, w/o all the extra garbage that Kelly adds.

If Kelly now gets the assignment to "report" in addition to the useless commentary he usually provides, that will be very sad.

tfcleeds
04-25-2013, 08:27 AM
^I was just about to mention, what happened to Girard? I guess now i know. Too bad, he was way better than that hack, Kelly. I don't know why Cathal doesn't just stick to the Star Style section on Saturdays.

James17930
04-25-2013, 08:56 AM
That was their best game of the season by far. These kids are much better than a lot of the guys who have been regularly starting. Bekker, Osorio and Richter should be playing every game.

Initial B
04-25-2013, 09:04 AM
Actually Doug Smith (normally the scribe on the Raptors beat) will be taking over soccer duties at the Star until they can get a new soccer reporter. He doesn't know much about soccer (and he realizes this), but I highly respect his even-handed reporting. Give him as much support as you can.

Canary10
04-25-2013, 09:07 AM
I actually don't disagree too much with what Kelly said. The CCL absolutely contributed to our MLS start last year. We played far more games in a compressed time frame than any other team in MLS, plus tons of travel, wear on the players, etc right off the start. Winter had a lighter pre-season knowing he was coming into a heavy run of games. He got killed by his own players for it when he was fired. Think he'd give equal priority to the CCL if he could do it over? I doubt it.

TFC_Allez
04-25-2013, 09:19 AM
And I thought Kurt Larson sucked lol. This Cathal Kelly is a real joke.

Canary10
04-25-2013, 09:22 AM
Interesting article on Herculez Gomez in the Guardian. I didn't know his back story with KC. I know he's given us some good natured shit when we've played Santos Laguna in the CCL, but I have a lot of respect for him. High on my list of American players. This story confirms it.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/apr/24/herculez-gomez-don-garber-twitter-mls-usmnt

tfcleeds
04-25-2013, 09:26 AM
Anyone know what the All Access Q+A session at Real Sports tonite will entail exactly? Really just going to get my Earnie jersey signed.

Carts
04-25-2013, 09:35 AM
Anyone know what the All Access Q+A session at Real Sports tonite will entail exactly? Really just going to get my Earnie jersey signed.

Ernie is in Toronto...???
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100901224146/muppet/images/2/2e/ErnieFullFigure-NEW.jpg

jabbronies
04-25-2013, 09:40 AM
I do agree with Kelly - this "tournament" is a joke. However, I thought Nelsen played it right - it was basically a glorified reserve game out there. Most of those guys I wouldn't want to see starting for a league match - so this was a great opportunity for them to start. Show what they can do or for some - prove they should still be here.

Also - great to see Frei starting in net again. The guy is a good goalie. It's nice that we have the options in net that we do.

OgtheDim
04-25-2013, 09:51 AM
I like Nelson's comment. "I don't care if we are playing for a bag of cobwebs. We want to win."

ChrisFizik
04-25-2013, 09:54 AM
good time in the cold Rednesday weather last night. Rain held off. A good amount of chants throughout thanks to U-Sector stepping up finally. Really happy for the win, felt good, goals were nice. There were a bunch of weak passing/turnovers throughout the night tho...not unusual for TFC, but no less annoying. Hopefully in warmer weather and the confidence boost we see some progress. Not sure what to expect on saturday since lineup varies.

Frei in net was awesome. He's still got it.

Canary10
04-25-2013, 09:55 AM
"I like Nelson's comment. "I don't care if we are playing for a bag of cobwebs. We want to win.""

^ Yeah, that's a great quote. Hard not to like the new gaffer. Couldn't be more opposite to Mariner.

Kaz
04-25-2013, 10:00 AM
The Kelly article is horrible. It does have a point..

Canada in order to advance because of the way CONCACAF has done everything it can to fix the competition to allow US and Mexican teams to the Quarter Finals and prevent Canadians from making to the Quarter finals, we are forced to win the Competition in the group stage by beating the strongest contender possible.

In fact one of the Finalists has been in the same group as the Canadian team (or the group we would have been ala 09/10) every year but 11/12 where we had Pumas who was eliminated in the Semi Finals as well.
Santos this year
Cruz Azul and RSL Semi Finals and Finals respectively
Cruz Azul would have been in 09/10 went to the Finals
Atlante in 08/09 for Montreal went to the Finals.

So Kelly isn't wrong... for us to advance we basically have to out play a Mexican side that is likely strong enough to be in the finals. As the Competition is stacked against Canada

This year Canada needs to hope to draw Tijuana.

reggie
04-25-2013, 10:22 AM
my radio dial was on the fan590 this morn by mistake and not even a mention of the game last nite....they own the bloody team..wtf..

Carts
04-25-2013, 10:31 AM
my radio dial was on the fan590 this morn by mistake and not even a mention of the game last nite....they own the bloody team..wtf..

That's brutal - even if they didn't own the team... TORONTO SPORTS RADIO should be mentioning the result of a TORONTO PROFESSIONAL SPORTS CLUB....

The radio station that talks about TFC the most? Z103.5... Anytime they do their little chats in the morning, the talk TFC "banter". Game days they give the BMO Field Forcast (always joking/telling it'll be 'colder at BMO' etc) and just banter about the team...

Sad that is our best radio chat - but at least they give TFC their time when chatting about weekend sports etc between tracks...

ManUtd4ever
04-25-2013, 10:33 AM

Yeah, I was surprised. It was only mentioned in the 20 minute updates during my drive into work this morning.

I'm sure Tim & Sid will discuss it during their afternoon segment, as they're both TFC fans.

Canary10
04-25-2013, 10:37 AM
Yeah, I was surprised. It was only mentioned in the 20 minute updates during my drive into work this morning.

I'm sure Tim & Sid will discuss it during their afternoon segment, as they're both TFC fans.

Well, sort of plays into Cathal Kelly's point....

tfcleeds
04-25-2013, 10:43 AM
Even into the 7th year, it's still a battle to get TFC noticed by the MSM. The Leafs could be knocked out of the playoffs in 4 straight, and the Jays could go on a 10 game losing streak starting tonite, and TFC still would hardly get any attention. Such are the challenges in making an imprint on the existing sporting culture in this city.

ManUtd4ever
04-25-2013, 10:51 AM
Even into the 7th year, it's still a battle to get TFC noticed by the MSM. The Leafs could be knocked out of the playoffs in 4 straight, and the Jays could go on a 10 game losing streak starting tonite, and TFC still would hardly get any attention. Such are the challenges in making an imprint on the existing sporting culture in this city.

It's going to take a sustained period of success for TFC to garner any meaningful media coverage in this town. Since the honeymoon period ended a few years ago, the team has become an afterthought in the media, with the exception of the coverage for the CCL match against LA last year.

tfcleeds
04-25-2013, 10:53 AM
^Oh agreed, the fact that we've sucked hasn't helped garner attention, that's for sure.

johnmolinaro
04-25-2013, 11:09 AM

Hey guys,

Hope you don't mind if I add my two cents.

I think it's a bit unfair to suggest MSM didn't provide ample coverage of yesterday's game.

All the major newspapers were there and filed reports. Sportsnet aired the game nationally (nationally!) across all four of its main channels. We had major coverage on sportsnet.ca (both in the buildup and the aftermath, including match highlights).

I'll admit it's unfortunate that FAN 590 didn't really touch on it this morning. But that's only one medium. There was plenty of coverage of this game from different outlets and across several mediums/platforms.

John Molinaro
sportsnet.ca

Futbolista
04-25-2013, 11:10 AM
Kelly should be writing articles about cooking or gardening...not Football!

All teams go to the process, Central Americans, Islands and Norhtamericans...yes is more difficult for us but I rather have them face strong opposition than weaker teams geographical farther. By Facing either a mexican or mls side our team can improve quality and if they are out sooner this year, so be it. We are in a rebuilding processes. Success in the MLS I say should be more important than "Champions" at least until the team find some winning ways and a strong core. Baby steps....! ok

ManUtd4ever
04-25-2013, 11:16 AM
Hey guys,

Hope you don't mind if I add my two cents.

I think it's a bit unfair to suggest MSM didn't provide ample coverage of yesterday's game.

All the major newspapers were there and filed reports. Sportsnet aired the game nationally (nationally!) across all four of its main channels. We had major coverage on sportsnet.ca (both in the buildup and the aftermath, including match highlights).

I'll admit it's unfortunate that FAN 590 didn't really touch on it this morning. But that's only one medium. There was plenty of coverage of this game from different outlets and across several mediums/platforms.

John Molinaro
sportsnet.ca

My comments weren't directed at you John, as you're one of the few exceptions in this market, and you have always fought the good fight with respect to meaningful football coverage in this town.

I agree with your post to an extent, but the post game coverage in the aftermath of a significant victory against an alleged rival has left a lot to be desired to be honest. The highlights were buried on Sportsnet Connected and Sportscentre last night, and there has been no relevant discussion on the Fan590 or TSN 1050 today either.

tfcleeds
04-25-2013, 11:22 AM
John, I was referring to coverage in a general sense, not specifically last night, but your points are well taken. You do more than your fair share, and your contributions are always appreciated here. Cheers.

johnmolinaro
04-25-2013, 11:24 AM
My comments weren't directed at you John, as you're one of the few exceptions in this market, and you have always fought the good fight with respect to meaningful football coverage in this town.

I agree with your post to an extent, but the post game coverage in the aftermath of a significant victory against an alleged rival has left a lot to be desired to be honest. The highlights were buried on Sportsnet Connected and Sportscentre last night, and there has been no relevant discussion on the Fan590 or TSN 1050 today either.

I hear you and I understand.

Consider this: If the teams don't really take it seriously (as evidenced by the starting lineups and the Montreal coach admitting afterwards it wasn't a priority) is it not unfair to chastise the media for not going overboard with its coverage?

John

johnmolinaro
04-25-2013, 11:25 AM
I hear you. Honestly, I think MSM in this city could do more in general sense, but then I'm a bit biased on this matter. :)

Globetrotter
04-25-2013, 11:26 AM
^this is the internet. This is where trolls come to complain about life.

reggie
04-25-2013, 11:40 AM
the FAN590 has become a 24/7 bluejay infomercial propaganda machine.its embarrassing...it painful to listen for more then 5 min...

Kaz
04-25-2013, 11:57 AM

John I think Toronto, Edmonton and Vancouver all took it seriously. Toronto played 5 Canadians I think that is how it should be.. this is the CANADIAN Championship... I think Vancouver playing 1 Canadian is shameful.

More so as has been said a few times, CONCACAF doesn't take Canada seriously, so why not take the opportunity to play Canadian talent and have them play as best as they can... (though the first half was painful)

mowe
04-25-2013, 12:15 PM
Anatomy of a Goal: Jeremy Hall wins individual battle to score for Toronto (http://www.mlssoccer.com/video/2013/04/24/anatomy-goal-jeremy-hall-wins-individual-battle-score-toronto)

mdc 77
04-25-2013, 12:18 PM
I have to agree with John Molinaro here, people seem to like to complain about coverage all the time. Yesterday's match was well covered. Also this hate for Kelly is puzzling, Im far in the minority here but i think he's a fantastic writer. I guess some people just can't get past the club being called FC. I don't agree with his article today but thats fine, but in my eyes he's still one of the best in the country.

Wagner
04-25-2013, 12:25 PM
I have to agree with John Molinaro here, people seem to like to complain about coverage all the time. Yesterday's match was well covered. Also this hate for Kelly is puzzling, Im far in the minority here but i think he's a fantastic writer. I guess some people just can't get past the club being called FC. I don't agree with his article today but thats fine, but in my eyes he's still one of the best in the country.

Kelly one of the best in the country??

i guess to each their own.
but that is the first I've ever heard that.

Brunt and Arthur I'd put at the top.
not Kelly.

I question why the Star forces Kelly to follow TFC when he appears to not like it.

Canary10
04-25-2013, 12:37 PM

He is a good writer. His ability to make a point by setting up strawmen and using lots of sarcasm is a skill. He has more in common with the English football writers than North American writers in that regard. Read the Fiver in the Guardian and you'll see similar writing. He has mistakes in the article, which doesn't help his cause. I actually agree with his points in this case. I want this to be a better tournament, and want to win it, but I have no pretense that it doesn't negatively affect MLS play, and that the deck is stacked against Canadian teams, who really can't compete with Mexican teams anyway. I really think it's played a part in how bad TFC has been in MLS in the past three or four years - it's a huge load so early in the season.

ag futbol
04-25-2013, 12:38 PM
The thing about Kelly is that snark has a place in writing every once in a while but to overload on it so heavily just makes you a douchebag.

Everything he writes about soccer he seems preoccupied with positioning himself as this hip, ironic, oh-so-clever, cultured local writer, bringing the world game to peon masses. It's just a load of shit. He doesn't dig for stories like a Neil Davidson or John Molinaro does. He's not analytically insightful like a Kristian Jack. He's not even in a position to be preachy from a high ground, similar to the way the ex-player pundits are at times.

He's just a guy with an over-sized sense of entitlement and below average insight, which he continually dresses up in his own bravado. His only advantage is that he works for the star (who seem pretty hands off with their writers) and since he seems to care so little for covering the team, he's not afraid to dump on them unlike a few lap dogs out there.

On balance, I would say the article he published contains plenty of valid points. But coming from the guy who continually complains about everything it loses its zeal.

Canary10
04-25-2013, 12:42 PM
^ Ha, I think that's all probably true.

Yohan
04-25-2013, 01:00 PM
V Cup is not pointless but Kelly does have a point.

It is a fact that CCL takes a lot out of teams. TFC isn't equipped to play multiple competitions right now. We never have been. And I'd argue it's one of the reasons why TFC's form falls during summer and fall.

If TFC makes CCL (only to lose in group stage likely) but that hurts playoff run, then what? Does Payne and Nelsen get the flak for not being able to put together a team competitive for both competitions right now? (And most MLS teams don't have the depth to compete in both competitions either)

We should learn to walk before running. Put together a solid showing in the league before going after CCL. Bitching about poor league form while wanting CCL just don't make sense to me.

Fort York Redcoat
04-25-2013, 01:03 PM
We should learn to walk before running. Put together a solid showing in the league before going after CCL. Bitching about poor league form while wanting CCL just don't make sense to me.

Deal. I won't bitch about poor league form as I want CCL. Promise.;)

Canary10
04-25-2013, 01:04 PM
I figured out at one point we were playing a game very 3.5 (or so) days last year in the first six weeks of the MLS season. No one had a schedule so onerous. Absolutely a contributing factor to the MLS losing streak last year.

Yohan
04-25-2013, 02:11 PM
http://www.timescolonist.com/sports/jeremy-hall-savours-move-to-toronto-fc-midfield-helping-turn-around-mls-team-1.139061

Jeremy Hall

T-boy
04-25-2013, 03:40 PM
If I was just to forget Hall from last season, and think of what I've seen of him so far this season, he would be my favourite player! Definitely "most improved" player so far this season. He's a different player, might as well be a different guy compared to last year. And still improving every game. Good for him!

Huyton
04-25-2013, 04:24 PM
He is a good writer. His ability to make a point by setting up strawmen and using lots of sarcasm is a skill. He has more in common with the English football writers than North American writers in that regard. Read the Fiver in the Guardian and you'll see similar writing. He has mistakes in the article, which doesn't help his cause. I actually agree with his points in this case. I want this to be a better tournament, and want to win it, but I have no pretense that it doesn't negatively affect MLS play, and that the deck is stacked against Canadian teams, who really can't compete with Mexican teams anyway. I really think it's played a part in how bad TFC has been in MLS in the past three or four years - it's a huge load so early in the season.

May I be the first of 1,057 people to agree with you?