PDA

View Full Version : Pre/In/Post - Game 8: New York at TFC, Sat 27 Apr, 2pm

Pages : [1] 2

Yohan
04-24-2013, 09:48 PM
Ohhhhhh the Red Bulls are Shite!!!

Bit of topsy turvy NYRB as NY legend Mike Petke tries to leave his mark on the Red Bulls. Inconsistency is one word to describe NY right now, however they destroyed New England last game 4-1. Juninho is suspended this game for taking a stupid red card and of course, Thierry Henry loves scoring on TFC. More detailed thoughts later.

ManUtd4ever
04-25-2013, 10:45 AM
I'll go out on a limb and predict that TFC will will play a solid 90 minutes, take a lead, and concede the equalizer in stoppage time. g:D

On another note, the weather forecast looks perfect.

Canary10
04-25-2013, 10:47 AM
^ I'll go on another and say Henry drifts around the pitch for 80 + minutes than kills us in stoppage time.

Yohan
04-25-2013, 10:59 AM
Scouting Report: New York Red Bulls (11pts, 4th in Eastern Conference)

General: If there is a topsy turvy, Jekyl and Hyde team in MLS, NYRB fits the bill. One game, they look like MLS Cup champions, then the next game, play worse than an USL side. There is tremendous pressure to succeed at NY, with Red Bulls ownership investing tons of money into the team and that has produced a short term success at the expense of long term stability plan that has been killing NY. The roster on paper looks strong, with some great players like Henry, Olave and Pearce, but short on depth, relying on cheap, minimal skill players. And with constant turnover year after year, NYRB has been run pretty much like TFC. However, with Hans Backe gone, NYRB legend Mike Petke is short on experience, but has been the heart and soul of NYRB for long time. (Imagine Danny Dichio managing TFC)

Formation: Mike Petke is still tinkering with formation, but likely will stick with 4-4-2 diamond. Probably the best formation, considering NY doesn't have good wingers.

Expected lineup:

------------Robles
Barklage-Olave-Pearce-Miller
------------McCarty
-----Alexander--Steele
------------Cahill
-------Henry---Espindola

Squad:
Goalkeeper: Luis Robles is a decent keeper, but nothing special. Makes amazing saves at times, but positioning and decision making is questionable sometimes. Veteran Kevin Hartman at tender age of 39 is working on match fitness, and may be available as back up.

Defence: On paper, looks strong, but big question. Has leaked 12 goals in 9 games, which isn't terrible, but some real WTF moments at times. Heath Pearce is still good, but Olave is shade of his former self and may not be completely match fit after injuries. Roy Miller has been doing ok since earning his spot at LB back, but he is still prone to bonehead mistakes. Barklage is a converted winger playing RB and is decent for his salary. Markus Holgersson is a strong CB, but lacks soccer brain. On whole, NY defence doesn't deal very well with pressure and can be forced into mistakes and their set piece defending is not so good.

Midfield: NY has one of best DM/box to box mid in Dax McCarty. However, the squad is thin after. Eric Alexander is a serviceable CM used in a support role. Jonny Steele (you may remember him from that heartbreak loss against RSL at Rio Tinto last season) is all heart, minimum skill guy and really should be used in depth role. Both Alexander and Steele will be asked to play more wide, except they aren't natural wingers. Former Everton and Australian international Tim Cahill has not found success in MLS yet. But he is capable of quality, especially if he gets up for a header. TFC must mark him carefully on set pieces.
For depth, there isn't much for NY. A lot of youngsters and min salary players, though former Charlton and Leeds winger Lloyd Sam will inject a bit of pace into NYRB attack if available. Connor Lade is another player who adds a little bit of depth from the wing or RB.

Forward: Thierry Henry is old at 35 and lost a bit of pace, but he is still class. Everything NY does runs through Henry, who also takes most of set pieces esp with Juninho not playing. And Henry loves to score on TFC for fun it seems. His partner may be speedy Espindola who is a bit of inconsistent finisher but still a threat. Henry and Espindola are still learning each other's tendencies, esp since Espy is left footed and likes to attack from flank, which is same thing Henry likes to do. Former PSG and French international Peguy Luyindula is close to being match fit and while inconsistent finisher, he brings in the hold up play to create space for Henry.

Key Player: As much as Thierry Henry runs NYRB attack, I think Dax McCarty is just as important. Not only he stops opposition attack through the middle with his tenacity and hard tackling, he can also score from outside the box, with 2 goals in 9 games this season. If McCarty has a bad game, NY defence becomes so much more vulnerable.

If I was New York manager...: New York's counter attack can be very deadly. They put in 4 past a stingy New England defence that only gave up 2 goals in 5 games prior to NY game. NY is tied for league in goals with 13 in 9 games. Put gas to the pedal on offence and look to overwhelm TFC defence that will leak goals, especially late game and on set pieces. Ability of Steele and Alexander to give width to NYRB attack will be critical.

Prediction: Toronto 2-2 New York

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iV_xNNtw6AE

Fort York Redcoat
04-25-2013, 11:40 AM
I predict I'd be happy with 2-2. I'd be happy if a loss guaranteed a win on Wed but usually it don't so I won't.

Go for broke boys.

notthesun
04-25-2013, 12:18 PM
-------------Bendik-------------
Richter---Califf---O'Dea---Morgan
Bostock---Hall---Silva----Lambe
--------Braun---Earnshaw------

Bostock played his way back into the 11 against Montreal. Osorio did well but not enough to displace Hall after his performance against Houston, however he'll get another well deserved run out off the bench. I'm starting Braun because Robles is a huge liability in New York's goal when good crosses are swung in and when things get hectic in the box (see his performance against Chicago (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGHzgeFxz_w)). Braun can be useful if he throws his weight around in the penalty area.

Earnshaw scores.

Yohan
04-25-2013, 02:15 PM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/04/25/new-york-red-bulls-lose-dax-mccarty-quad-injury-midfielder-likely-miss-toron

Dax McCarty out with a quad injury. TFC catches a huge break. NY's replacement likely will be some rookie

Also, two weeks in a row that two key players for opposition teams either ends up being injured during game or before game. Hrm. Do I have some sort of hex going on? lol

notthesun
04-25-2013, 02:28 PM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/04/25/new-york-red-bulls-lose-dax-mccarty-quad-injury-midfielder-likely-miss-toron

Dax McCarty out with a quad injury. TFC catches a huge break. NY's replacement likely will be some rookie

Also, two weeks in a row that two key players for opposition teams either ends up being injured during game or before game. Hrm. Do I have some sort of hex going on? lol

If so, please apply to Thierry pronto. :p

Yohan
04-25-2013, 02:32 PM
If so, please apply to Thierry pronto. :p
sorry, it's only once per game thing :p

West220Side
04-25-2013, 03:14 PM
prediction...

watching the boys who were on the pitch play for a solid 90+ minutes with everybody putting in their shift (even Wiedemann, Welshman played well.) will inspire the entire roster to fight, and play hard. We'll win in a entertaining fashion, and start running away with the league.

that's definitely my prediction, well it would be nice anyways...

Joe Bendik will start in net, Frei will get another chance in the away leg against Montreal before the manager will really have a tough choice of swapping keepers. doubt he replaces Bendik for saturday. Goalkeeper: Bendik
Wouldn't mind seeing Califf replace Agbossoumnde. Califf was an absolute warrior on wednesday, basically killed a few guys will clean + hard, ball winning tackles. Would be nice to see Eckersley but I don't know if he's 100% Defence: Morgan, O'Dea, Califf, Richter on a side note this Richter guy continues to impress me day in and out.
Midfield played pretty good yesterday no way that Welshman played well enough to earn a start, kid definitely put in his shift though. Bekker was running around all over the place, was trying to earn a place but ended up just being a mess. Hall will probably start, because every team needs somebody to be the dirty man in the midfield but id like to see Osorio come in for him around the 60/70th Midfield: Bostock, Hall, Silva, Lambe
Our attack is fairly predictable Nelsens switched to playing two forwards instead of one but before I state the obvious id like to say Wiedeman played the game of his career in a red shirt yesterday had an amazing work rate, tried for every ball, ran for everything, clearly isn't the best finisher of the modern game, but capped his good night off with a solid goal. He earned a spot on the bench for this weekend. Strikers: Earnshaw and Braun

Yohan
04-25-2013, 03:18 PM
I wish I could find that pic of 'The Red Bulls are Shite' banner

ensco
04-25-2013, 03:27 PM
I remember how much attention Gargan got for his long throws, but he's nothing next to Richter, holy Rory Delap, Richter is world class at putting deep throw ins right on the button.

Yohan
04-25-2013, 03:35 PM
I remember how much attention Gargan got for his long throws, but he's nothing next to Richter, holy Rory Delap, Richter is world class at putting deep throw ins right on the button.
played basketball in high school. I think he also said he played baseball too

T-boy
04-25-2013, 03:37 PM

Richter is probably the longest thrower I've ever seen. I think he tosses it longer than Delap!

ag futbol
04-25-2013, 03:39 PM
He's still outside the Adrian Serioux throw-in hall of fame.

Yohan
04-25-2013, 03:52 PM
I also have a little more faith in Pat Onstad's ability as a scout, because Richter was his signing and Richter seems to be at least depth on an MLS team. Though questions to why Philly and DCU passed on Richter

cochrdoc
04-25-2013, 07:49 PM
I have been impressed with Richter.I can see why they let Stinson go.Richter has had more of an impact in a few games then Stinson.I wonder what the differance in his salary and Ecks is?How soon of a wait will Labba have before he gets into the line-up

Pint
04-25-2013, 07:56 PM
Any chance Laba gets cleared in time for the game?

jloome
04-25-2013, 08:06 PM

I'm guessing they'll start Brandon Barklage but maybe the kid, Ian Christenson.

notthesun
04-25-2013, 08:41 PM

Even if he's here in time he probably won't play, I doubt he even makes the bench.

mowe
04-25-2013, 08:49 PM
I fully expect us to concede late, leading to a draw or loss. Would love to be wrong.

This is a must-win if TFC wants to keep pace with the playoffs. Can't keep dropping points at home.

West220Side
04-25-2013, 09:03 PM

I have been impressed with Richter.I can see why they let Stinson go.Richter has had more of an impact in a few games then Stinson.I wonder what the differance in his salary and Ecks is?How soon of a wait will Labba have before he gets into the line-up

Laba plays in Argentina currently which is a two hour time difference. He's playing regularly, so he should be fit.
There's no way he starts you have to earn your spot to play in Nelsens team. There's no way he's just gonna throw him in "Oh we just bought you! You're a guarentee'd starter!"
I don't think Nelsen cares what he makes/cost he'll have to earn his spot just like anybody else. If Nelsen picked his team by capspace Frei would be playing ahead of Bendik now that he's fit.

Laba could come off the bench but I'm not sure how much English he speaks, or how long it will take him to settle. But consider the time line...
If its true he's here today, and knocking out personal contract issues then tomorrow he could be announced, with a game the next day he wont even have a chance to train with the team. I personally don't want him even making a sub appearance with no connection with the squad. He can play a bit against Montreal May 1st IMO.

Ajax TFC
04-25-2013, 09:34 PM
Ohhhhhh the Red Bulls are Shite!!!
So fucking shite!!!

I was at this game two years ago. After TFC being relatively dominant with Koevermans scoring on a breakaway, TFC started sitting back and defended like shit. They hammered ball after ball out for corner after corner, most notably Dunfield kicking them behind under no pressure (this was the game that caused my opinion of him to sour). Finally, right near the end they kicked it out again and I turned to my friend and said "this is it, Henry's going to score from this corner". Sure enough, Henry pulls off a piece of magic and scores the equalizer.

This time I shall keep my mouth shut

I'm hoping for the following:
--------------Bendik------------
-Richter--Agboss--O'Dea--Emory
----------------Hall-------------
--Bostock--------------Ephraim--
---------------Silva-------------
--------Braun-------Earnshaw---

I think if Bostock plays like he did yesterday, he should be an effecting outlet for Hall, and he'll give good central passes to Silva and through balls to the strikers. Ephraim can be dropped for all I care, but he does have decent ball control, and Lambe hasn't been effective on the right, and much less on the left. At most he tracks back a bit more, but he also leaves a hole on his part of midfield because he's so far back

Abou Sky
04-25-2013, 09:49 PM

Well... Dax is on my fantasy team but I think I prefer a for real win.

I wish Dunny was available to scare Henry again, I think Robles is garbage and I am predicting this is Boss man's breakout game having spent a bit more time with O'Dea.

Hall is looking better and better, I think we outsmart them, out skill them and out athletic them. 4-1 tfc

See you Saturday!

Abou Sky
04-25-2013, 09:52 PM
I fully expect us to concede late, leading to a draw or loss. Would love to be wrong.

This is a must-win if TFC wants to keep pace with the playoffs. Can't keep dropping points at home.

Seriously? Did you really just say 'must win'?

Yohan
04-25-2013, 10:08 PM
I'm guessing they'll start Brandon Barklage but maybe the kid, Ian Christenson.
Barklage probably RB. Christenson is apparently out, so they might start this Bustamante kid

mowe
04-25-2013, 10:44 PM
Seriously? Did you really just say 'must win'?

You realize TFC has already dropped 6 of 12 points at home so far right? Can't continue on that pace, you can't rely on getting results on the road in this league. Time to start winning at BMO.

Abou Sky
04-26-2013, 06:27 AM
You realize TFC has already dropped 6 of 12 points at home so far right? Can't continue on that pace, you can't rely on getting results on the road in this league. Time to start winning at BMO.

I agree 100% but 'must win'?

Yohan
04-26-2013, 01:11 PM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/04/26/new-york-red-bulls-wary-familiar-opportunistic-toronto-fc-forward-robert-ear

Henry and Cahill shares thoughts on Earnshaw

Auzzy
04-26-2013, 01:15 PM

As mentioned in the other thread:

Toronto FC ‏@torontofc (https://twitter.com/torontofc) 1h (https://twitter.com/torontofc/status/327811309959778305)
Payne: Laba not available this weekend, we hope by second leg v. Montreal or next weekend. #TFClive (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TFClive&src=hash) http://instagram.com/p/YktE7-Ep69/ (http://t.co/uYt6DOYqop)

John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro) 1h (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/327806981035397120)
Laba hasn't arrived in Toronto but he is en route. #TFC (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TFC&src=hash)

mdc 77
04-26-2013, 01:29 PM
I agree 100% but 'must win'?

This is a must win, about as must win as it gets. At home, against another eastern opponent and dropping loads of points in the last few matches. Its not a must win if we have already totally given up on a playoff spot of course.

Auzzy
04-26-2013, 01:33 PM
This is a must win, about as must win as it gets. At home, against another eastern opponent and dropping loads of points in the last few matches. Its not a must win if we have already totally given up on a playoff spot of course.

TFC is in contention for a playoff spot. That's all that was every promised (or reasonable, frankly, for a team that started 6 feet under).

mdc 77
04-26-2013, 01:37 PM
TFC is in contention for a playoff spot. That's all that was every promised (or reasonable, frankly, for a team that started 6 feet under).

TFC is not in a playoff spot right now, and a win still wouldn't have us in a playoff spot. So this is about as close to a must-win match you can have at this point of the season. We have 1 win in 7, we are no doubt better but we need to win some matches now.

Yohan
04-26-2013, 01:38 PM
must win games in Apr. jesus

glaze
04-26-2013, 01:46 PM
just a heads up to anyone taking a streetcar from the east end, or anyone who enjoys military parades, there is a parade happening tomorrow morning beginning at Queens Park and proceeding to Fort York to commemorate the 200th anniversary of the battle of York. Here's the info that was online.

The City of Toronto and the Canadian Forces will commemorate this defining day in the history of Canada and Toronto on Saturday, April 27.

His Royal Highness Prince Philip, The Duke of Edinburgh, will present a new Regimental Colour to the 3rd Battalion of The Royal Canadian Regiment at a 10 a.m. ceremony in front of the Queen's Park Legislative Assembly of Ontario. His Royal Highness has been the Colonel-in-Chief of The Royal Canadian Regiment since December 1953.

After the presentation and consecration of the new Regimental Colour, a parade of more than 1,000 sailors and soldiers from the Royal Canadian Navy and the Canadian Army will march from Queen’s Park to Fort York. This parade of marching bands, ceremonial uniforms and Regimental Colours will be one of the largest military parades ever organized in Toronto.

At 1:30 p.m., a commemorative ceremony will be held inside the walls of Fort York National Historic Site. Among the participants will be re-enactment units in War of 1812 uniforms, First Nations whose ancestors fought in the battle, and an honour guard of sailors and soldiers of the Canadian Forces who serve in Toronto today.

Fort York Redcoat
04-26-2013, 01:49 PM
FYI Tomorrow is Portuguese Appreciation day at BMO.

It's also the bicentennial of the Battle of Fort York.

200 years ago NY militiamen landed where the Palais Royale stands today.

I thought it worth mentioning.

Edit: Thanks glaze

Auzzy
04-26-2013, 01:49 PM
TFC is not in a playoff spot right now, and a win still wouldn't have us in a playoff spot. So this is about as close to a must-win match you can have at this point of the season. We have 1 win in 7, we are no doubt better but we need to win some matches now.

I expect TFC will lose the next 10 matches straight. Enjoy!

Abou Sky
04-26-2013, 02:27 PM
FYI Tomorrow is Portuguese Appreciation day at BMO.

It's also the bicentennial of the Battle of Fort York.

200 years ago NY militiamen landed where the Palais Royale stands today.

I thought it worth mentioning.

Edit: Thanks glaze

Is it seriously Portugese appreciation day? Are they going to make Chicken? I love that Portugese chicken. I used to date Portugese girls who lived with their grandmothers just for the damn chicken.

Red I
04-26-2013, 03:22 PM
Is it seriously Portugese appreciation day? Are they going to make Chicken? I love that Portugese chicken. I used to date Portugese girls who lived with their grandmothers just for the damn chicken.

... and those custard tarts; those things are addictive!!

Carts
04-26-2013, 03:24 PM
Potuguese chicken... Custard Tarts... And Portuguese women...

Ok, this could be a DAMN GOOD DAY at BMO Field...!!!

Red I
04-26-2013, 03:26 PM

Honestly, any one of those three would be amazing; but all three?? #heaven

Carts
04-26-2013, 03:30 PM
honestly, any one of those three would be amazing; but all three?? #heaven

I 100% agree!

JayMolly
04-26-2013, 03:47 PM

Sounds good, but let's get back to football for a moment. . . .
Has anyone heard an update about Ecks?

Yohan
04-26-2013, 03:52 PM
listed as out in the game preview

Jack
04-26-2013, 03:59 PM
It'll be nice to have a beautiful day at BMO.

West220Side
04-26-2013, 04:00 PM

Eckersley is by far the first team best choice at right back, but with him out i'm not worried. Richter has proven a great backup/replacement in his absense and I think Eckersley should take his time to heal and not rush back. Wouldn't want to damage anything anymore then it already is. Richter is playing fantastically. If he puts in 90' on Saturday, and combined with his start against Montreal this past Wednesday he'll be fishing for 'Warrior' status.

JayMolly
04-26-2013, 04:00 PM
listed as out in the game preview

Thanks Yohan . . .

JayMolly
04-26-2013, 04:03 PM
Eckersley is by far the first team best choice at right back, but with him out i'm not worried. Richter has proven a great backup/replacement in his absense and I think Eckersley should take his time to heal and not rush back. Wouldn't want to damage anything anymore then it already is. Richter is playing fantastically. If he puts in 90' on Saturday, and combined with his start against Montreal this past Wednesday he'll be fishing for 'Warrior' status.

"West" I couldn't agree with you more. We need Ecks in the long run!

JonO
04-26-2013, 04:07 PM
Weather looks good... tickets seem a bit harder to come by than for previous games (so hopefully a good crowd)... Get that W and I will be a happy camper...

T-boy
04-26-2013, 04:24 PM

I love Eckersley, but Richters missile long throw is very useful as an attacking threat. I think we would miss it when Ecks returns. I'm wondering if Richter could play in place of Morgan, as I think Richter is better than Morgan. I think I read that Richter can play either left or right back?

RedsYNWA
04-26-2013, 04:42 PM
just a heads up to anyone taking a streetcar from the east end, or anyone who enjoys military parades, there is a parade happening tomorrow morning beginning at Queens Park and proceeding to Fort York to commemorate the 200th anniversary of the battle of York. Here's the info that was online.

The City of Toronto and the Canadian Forces will commemorate this defining day in the history of Canada and Toronto on Saturday, April 27.

His Royal Highness Prince Philip, The Duke of Edinburgh, will present a new Regimental Colour to the 3rd Battalion of The Royal Canadian Regiment at a 10 a.m. ceremony in front of the Queen's Park Legislative Assembly of Ontario. His Royal Highness has been the Colonel-in-Chief of The Royal Canadian Regiment since December 1953.

After the presentation and consecration of the new Regimental Colour, a parade of more than 1,000 sailors and soldiers from the Royal Canadian Navy and the Canadian Army will march from Queen’s Park to Fort York. This parade of marching bands, ceremonial uniforms and Regimental Colours will be one of the largest military parades ever organized in Toronto.

At 1:30 p.m., a commemorative ceremony will be held inside the walls of Fort York National Historic Site. Among the participants will be re-enactment units in War of 1812 uniforms, First Nations whose ancestors fought in the battle, and an honour guard of sailors and soldiers of the Canadian Forces who serve in Toronto today.

With all due respect to the CAF and the families .. I was a serving member a decade ago, but to honour that Inbred royal racist prick;
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/prince-philip-quotes-relive-65-1445185

SAD

Kaz
04-26-2013, 05:26 PM
With all due respect to the CAF and the families .. I was a serving member a decade ago, but to honour that Inbred royal racist prick;

SAD

First I didn't know HRH was going to be there... I may have to take a trip down. Second he is a little cranky, he is also well read and most of those comments (from a tabloid) are taken out of context, meant as jokes (bad as they may be) or fabrications.

Lastly he is part of the Canadian Monarchy show some respect.

Derko
04-26-2013, 05:48 PM
First I didn't know HRH was going to be there... I may have to take a trip down. Second he is a little cranky, he is also well read and most of those comments (from a tabloid) are taken out of context, meant as jokes (bad as they may be) or fabrications.

Very well spoken yourself, I am sure there are many others that would agree, with your comments

billyfly
04-26-2013, 06:06 PM
Viva Portugal.

trane
04-26-2013, 06:36 PM

I find most of then funny.

Kaz
04-26-2013, 08:10 PM
I find most of then funny.

Oh they are humourous. But when being offered in the context of that post it is disrespectful.

Abou Sky
04-26-2013, 08:17 PM

There are likely also those on here who are Canadian patriots but also republicans who want nothing to do with the Monarchy so can we leave politics at the door?

Abou Sky
04-26-2013, 08:18 PM
Also, don't forget sun screen

Kaz
04-26-2013, 08:29 PM
There are likely also those on here who are Canadian patriots but also republicans who want nothing to do with the Monarchy so can we leave politics at the door?
sure, if people don't make insulting, nearly slanderous, comments about the Queen Consort and I feel the need to defend them. It's that simple.

Petor
04-26-2013, 08:41 PM

Would love to see this at BMO Field!

http://churrasqueiraestrela.com/

Fort York Redcoat
04-27-2013, 08:41 AM

SAD

Yeah lets please focus on who's getting honoured today not our representation.

Royal Regiment 3rd Battalion.

If I could be there and Joe's selling the tix for the Womens Canada game, I would.

See you all soon guys.

flamehawk
04-27-2013, 09:21 AM
Not a supporter of the monarchy, nor a supporter of the military.. considering the constant calls of leaving politics out of TFC (which I don't necessarily agree with), it'd be nice to have some consistency. But anyways, at risk of this drifting further off topic, I'll just leave it at that.

colman1860
04-27-2013, 10:51 AM
I know this isn't the right thread for it, but if anybody has an extra single ticket available, please call/text me at 647 520 9089

(not much more off-topic than the previous posts, I hope)

Ivy
04-27-2013, 11:57 AM
I'd the team plays like the did against LA or Houston, this game should be a W.

pawlukj
04-27-2013, 11:58 AM
although its very early in the season i have afeeling its one of those games that can either make or break it... i would be optimistic and on top of the world if they can pull out a win

dantdot
04-27-2013, 12:06 PM
XI: Bendik; Richter, Agbossoumonde, O'Dea, A. Morgan; Lambe, Silva, Hall, Ephraim; Braun, Earnshaw.

Ivy
04-27-2013, 12:12 PM
What does Ryan see in starting Braun over Bostock is beyond me... I feel like playing Bostock behind Earnshaw for 60 minutes will be more affective. Am I crazy?

notthesun
04-27-2013, 12:13 PM
Can't say I'm not disappointed that Bostock isn't starting. Roy Miller is the Red Bulls' starting LB? Bostock would have a field day to put it lightly.

I hope Ephraim takes on Barklage when he has the opportunity.

OgtheDim
04-27-2013, 12:29 PM
I get the feeling Bostock is seen as a bit lacking in attention to defence. As for him being up front, Bostock isn't much of a threat in the air - he's not going to hold up the ball cause he is not as strong as Braun. Starting him up front with Earnshaw would not be a good mix. I see Bostock more as a winger.

DoubleUp
04-27-2013, 12:51 PM
I get the feeling Bostock is seen as a bit lacking in attention to defence. As for him being up front, Bostock isn't much of a threat in the air - he's not going to hold up the ball cause he is not as strong as Braun. Starting him up front with Earnshaw would not be a good mix. I see Bostock more as a winger.

Have you ever heard the story of the young winger who got moved to Cf and wind up being one of the best "strikers in the modern era";)

and now plays for new york as there play-maker and Dp.

JavierMartini
04-27-2013, 12:58 PM
any streams ?

OgtheDim
04-27-2013, 01:03 PM
http://www.firstrow1.eu/watch/183562/2/watch-toronto-fc-vs-new-york-red-bulls.html

Its New York only streams so far on that.

tfcleeds
04-27-2013, 01:07 PM
http://atdee.net/62544/watch-toronto-fc-vs-new-york-red-bulls

JavierMartini
04-27-2013, 01:08 PM
found a tsn one

http://www.ilemi.pe/108879/2/Watch-Toronto-FC-vs-New-York-Red-Bulls/

JavierMartini
04-27-2013, 01:13 PM
both streams are terribly choppy

Corpand
04-27-2013, 01:15 PM
Thank god, I thought it was me. Yup tried 3 different browsers, the root stream is just having latency issues.

dantdot
04-27-2013, 01:16 PM
Yup, tried like 6 streams. All choppy.

[NBF]
04-27-2013, 01:19 PM
I find that when we play 4-4-2 we always let in goals through the middle. We control the midfield more when we play 4-4-1-1 and 4-1-4-1 just doesnt give us any chance to attack.

Today, is the 4-4-2, so I'm expecting a 3-1 final for the New York Red Bulls. Regardless if they have a lot of players injured. The team has a tendency to play down to opponents level. Luis Robles is sort of a small goalkeeper and doesnt have good positioning so Earnshaw, might get a few shots but accuracy is the key. This would have been a good game to put Russell at right back.

Ajax TFC
04-27-2013, 01:20 PM
What does Ryan see in starting Braun over Bostock is beyond me... I feel like playing Bostock behind Earnshaw for 60 minutes will be more affective. Am I crazy?
They're two completely different types of players. Braun is a target man who can hold up the ball. Bostock is a playmaker who likes to dribble. He plays beside Earnshaw not behind him; Silva is the one who plays just behind them both.

DoubleUp
04-27-2013, 01:22 PM
This striker pairing should be interesting.

jloome
The old TFC, that scramble in front of the goal would've seen three of our guys ball watching and NY scoring.

Corpand
;1578257']I find that when we play 4-4-2 we always let in goals through the middle. We control the midfield more when we play 4-4-1-1 and 4-1-4-1 just doesnt give us any chance to attack.

Today, is the 4-4-2, so I'm expecting a 3-1 final for the New York Red Bulls. Regardless if they have a lot of players injured. The team has a tendency to play down to opponents level. Luis Robles is sort of a small goalkeeper and doesnt have good positioning so Earnshaw, might get a few shots but accuracy is the key. This would have been a good game to put Russell at right back.

A agree, I like our shape better as a 4-1-4-1 but I think he is trying to keep Espindola at bay with Braun (not for long sadly, nasty stomp on his leg) dropping in very deep into midfield.
Allows for some nice counters with the speed on the wings and Earnie.

Ajax TFC
04-27-2013, 01:24 PM
Best substitution of the modern era. Keep up the good work, Nellie

jloome
04-27-2013, 01:25 PM
I don't think Wieds has a great first touch, not sure he can play defence. But he can finish when he gets a look on his good foot.

ouderwien
04-27-2013, 01:28 PM
Just tuned in. What was the reason for the early sub?

jloome
04-27-2013, 01:28 PM
Roy Miller classic.

jloome
04-27-2013, 01:29 PM
Just tuned in. What was the reason for the early sub?

Braun turned his ankle

notthesun
04-27-2013, 01:32 PM
Did anyone else see "Hi Truck" pop up on screen in crappy writing for like half a second? What was that lol

Corpand
04-27-2013, 01:33 PM
I'm actually predicting the Silva-Wiedeman partnership will produce in this game. They seem to think alike with the timing of runs. More than others.

ouderwien
Thanks jloome. Also, the chants from the South End are really coming through in this stream. Glad that this will be the final game that I will be missing this season.

Ajax TFC
Good work to the fans in the corner. The massive could be heard quite loudly and clearly on TV.

OgtheDim
04-27-2013, 01:34 PM
Not sure which is worse. The choppy stream or listening to TSN 1050 and Gareth Wheeler as colour commentator.

jloome
04-27-2013, 01:35 PM
Did anyone else see "Hi Truck" pop up on screen in crappy writing for like half a second? What was that lol

YES! One frame. Weird, eh?
Looks like it was scratched onto a piece of film then overlaid for a second.

Ajax TFC
04-27-2013, 01:36 PM
Ephraim is such a fucking headless chicken with the ball and he constantly trips over the ball.

Dichio can be heard clearly now

notthesun
04-27-2013, 01:38 PM
I've seen yellows or worse for challenges like Barlage's there. He should count himself lucky Salazar isn't reffing this one.

Dkolish3
04-27-2013, 01:43 PM
Oh no another injury

tfcleeds
04-27-2013, 01:44 PM
we're dropping like flies...:(

notthesun
04-27-2013, 01:45 PM
Man Richter really can't cross a ball.

MartinUtd
04-27-2013, 01:45 PM
Got frustrated with the feeds and signed up for MLS Live, gotta say, I'm impressed with the quality, I'd recommend!

Re the game: Damn we're getting banged up early. Interesting that Lambe is in for Bostock again.. not sure whats going on with that situation.

jloome
04-27-2013, 01:46 PM
Wow, O'Dea is turning intro just a great distributor out of the back.

notthesun
04-27-2013, 01:48 PM
Richter why would you jump into that challenge, never had a chance.

As soon as he misses that tackle we're in trouble.

jloome
04-27-2013, 01:48 PM
Bleah.

Went to sleep

Dkolish3
04-27-2013, 01:49 PM
Gotta say has Morgan ever blocked a cross?

MartinUtd
04-27-2013, 01:49 PM
Had to happen. When was the last time we had possession?

OgtheDim
04-27-2013, 01:50 PM
Somebody didn't track Cahill.

Corpand
04-27-2013, 01:53 PM
Did anyone else see the fake-out Lambe pulled off in midfield that earned us the corner? Absolutely dirty.

DoubleUp
04-27-2013, 01:55 PM
They are torching our right side.

JavierMartini
04-27-2013, 01:55 PM
new cdm couldnt come soon enough. We also need koevs back, Weedman can't hold up the ball if his life depended on it

Dkolish3
04-27-2013, 01:56 PM
No Braun = no possession who would of thought it.

notthesun
Richter can't cross!!!

OgtheDim
Guys on the radio are calling a different game then I'm seeing a few minutes later on the stream.

Dv23
Inexperience of our back line is really showing here. Good first ten. Horrible showing after Braun's injury.

jloome
04-27-2013, 01:57 PM
I thought we were pretty good for the first 35 minutes, then flagged.

We didn't seem to adjust to taking off Braun. Too many long balls to small forwards.

notthesun
04-27-2013, 01:58 PM
I thought we were pretty good for the first 35 minutes, then flagged.

We didn't seem to adjust to taking off Braun. Too many long balls to small forwards.

Yeah. We faded hard.

Take off Ephraim, put Bostock on. Move Lambe to the left and let Bostock run at Miller.

Corpand
04-27-2013, 01:59 PM
Quote me later, the half time will show each coaches true colors. I'm pretty confident Nelsen will adjust the tactics based off the new striker pair we have on. He has done it a few times already, adjusts the spacing the players will be leaving between the defense and midfield lines.

adam1001
04-27-2013, 02:00 PM
Good showing in 112 today. As for the game, the usual. Complete lack of urgency or intensity. Really pisses me off to see Hall trotting to the sideline for the throw-in, like he has all the time in the world. Have some energy FFS. Wiedeman has the physical presence of a 12 year old, literally gets pushed off every ball he touches.

Great save by Bendik though.

tfcleeds
04-27-2013, 02:01 PM

Yeah, wtf was that? lol. I switched to my mobile to watch - was wondering if it was just me.

notthesun
04-27-2013, 02:12 PM
Bostock on for Ephraim, nice to see Nelsen is reading my posts. :D

edit: looks like he's playing on the left, let's see if he can whip in a cross from that side

Dkolish3
04-27-2013, 02:27 PM
That was disappointing

OgtheDim
04-27-2013, 02:28 PM
That was a very very poor Free kick.

ouderwien
04-27-2013, 02:28 PM
What does the banner at 110-111 say?

notthesun
04-27-2013, 02:37 PM
Earnshaw is so starved for chances he takes a wonder left footed volley from 25 yards...

AlanO
04-27-2013, 02:43 PM
Hall, Richter, Bostock, Silva all look gassed.

Having Wiedeman on the field is like playing a man down.

OgtheDim
04-27-2013, 02:46 PM
To many balls from the back towards the front. And no width.

We have an AM. Use him.

OgtheDim
04-27-2013, 02:47 PM
Yeah, that's a bit of a message. The sub is subbed.

DoubleUp
04-27-2013, 02:50 PM
Osario!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

notthesun
04-27-2013, 02:50 PM
Whatttttttttttttttt osoriooooooo

bigredone
04-27-2013, 02:51 PM
A wonder pass from Osario right up the middle.....

oh wait Weedman.

AlanO
What a beauty! Osorio for rookie of the year!

Dkolish3
Let's keep going for the win!!!!

OgtheDim
04-27-2013, 02:52 PM
What the heck was their keeper doing?

bigredone
04-27-2013, 02:52 PM
wow funny, things happen fast when posting./

bigredone
04-27-2013, 02:53 PM
He ate them didn't he, for breakfast!!!!!

Rudy
Sub decision perfectly effective.

DoubleUp
To many balls from the back towards the front. And no width.

We have an AM. Use him.

Yes!.:hump:

Rudy
04-27-2013, 02:54 PM
Now let's watch out for the 90min curse.....

jloome
04-27-2013, 02:57 PM

Oh lord ...

Dkolish3
04-27-2013, 02:57 PM
Well it keep happening at least we're consistent

DoubleUp
04-27-2013, 02:58 PM
ashton really look bad on that play. really bad!.

AdamAM
hahaha hahah haha h.. a.ha... .....

adam1001

LOL we're a few minutes early today

Rudy
i FUCKING KNEW IT.

OgtheDim
Yeah, lets talk about the inability to use your brain. Morgan.

Lumpy
04-27-2013, 02:59 PM
Morgan got 2 assists on that play

JavierMartini
wow, that kinda looked like a plying elbow.... but he got his head on it i guess

MartinUtd
FUCK

Morgan, what kind of clearance was that? FUCKING TERRIBLE

Rudy
Dear Coach Nelson, how many time will it take for you to realize that you have a 90min complex to deal with as your #1 priority right now?

jloome
04-27-2013, 03:01 PM
And that's that.

We didn't deserve a point today. Props to Osorio, but that was weak all over the pitch.

I'd also add that I don't expect us to keep either Ephraim or Bostock the way they're playing.

OgtheDim
04-27-2013, 03:01 PM
Dear Coach Nelson, how many time will it take for you to realize that you have a 90min complex to deal with as your #1 priority right now?

If you watched his press conference after last Saturday, you'd know he is quite aware of the issue.

Rudy
04-27-2013, 03:02 PM
If you watched his press conference after last Saturday, you'd know he is quite aware of the issue.

Aware? Results speak louder than words.

notthesun
04-27-2013, 03:04 PM
Pathetic. Absolutely pathetic.

This isn't just a problem anymore. Every late goal we give up further destroys the soul of this team. Every time we let in another, we become more likely to do it again. I don't know how we're ever going to get out of this.

DoubleUp
04-27-2013, 03:05 PM
Silva is talented but he cant do it alone in the middle of the park he is not a maestro(yet)

I want to see this next game.

.............Hall...........
Laba.................Osario
...........Silva..............

MartinUtd

Really what do you want him to do? Sub himself in at 89'?

Keep in mind we've been playing with a partial roster here for a while how. No Koevermans, no DP midfielder (Frings or Laba) and a lot of new players who need to get used to each other. Lets just hope there will be some moves made before the May 6th transfer deadline.

Couchy81

This isn't just a problem anymore. Every late goal we give up further destroys the soul of this team. Every time we let in another, we become more likely to do it again. I don't know how we're ever going to get out of this.

Like I said last time, it is something other teams in the league look at, and know they have a good chance at tying or scoring the winner in the last part of the game. It will get worse because teams LOOK to do this due to our history of it.

MartinUtd
04-27-2013, 03:06 PM
Silva is talented but he cant do it alone in the middle of the park he is not a maestro(yet)

I want to see this next game.

.............Hall...........
Laba.................Osario
...........Silva..............

Laba on the wing? Are you sure about that?

ag futbol
04-27-2013, 03:06 PM
And that's that.

We didn't deserve a point today. Props to Osorio, but that was weak all over the pitch.

I'd also add that I don't expect us to keep either Ephraim or Bostock the way they're playing.
We look like weaklings in the final third. No instinct or decisive final ball.

And Morgan needs to get things sorted. Not looking to make him a scape goat but he's been weak all year. MLS is improving while he isn't at the moment.

On the positive side Osorio... Man I love this guy in the super sub role.

OgtheDim
04-27-2013, 03:08 PM
We are not good enough, yet, to beat a team with that much awareness up front. We will get there. But a team this young is going to make mistakes. Reminds me of Aston Villa this season.

Bostock provided some width. Ephraim did not. Lambe...I just have no clue what the heck he is doing as he never seems to be out on the wing attacking their fullback.

Earnshaw works well when he gets the ball in at his feet. Without a target man, that ain't gonna happen. Punts up to him are not going to work. Payne pointed out yesterday that right now we lack a certain type of passing and that Laba would help provide that.

Roll on Wednesday.

OgtheDim
04-27-2013, 03:11 PM
Aware? Results speak louder than words.

Meh..........he can't go out there and play. As he stated last week, these guys have to play with intensity for 90+ minutes. They were doing that after we scored. BUT, a really bad miskick against the best poaching team in the league cost us. You want to blame Nelsen for that miskick? If it makes you feel better, fine.

tfcleeds
04-27-2013, 03:13 PM
Can't say we really deserved anything out of that - easily our worst performance of the season so far. But man, the way this always seems to happen is just soul-crushing, not only for us, but for the players as well. I really don't know what the solution is at this point.

adam1001
04-27-2013, 03:31 PM
Sure, he says that. But then the team comes out the week after and is sleeping 80 minutes as usual. There is zero intensity on this team. If I were Nelson, I would "run" the team during training to get them to wake the fuck up. Sprints, suicides, whatever it takes. Seems harsh, but that's what my old coach did a few years back, and we definitely got the message.

Meh..........he can't go out there and play. As he stated last week, these guys have to play with intensity for 90+ minutes. They were doing that after we scored. BUT, a really bad miskick against the best poaching team in the league cost us. You want to blame Nelsen for that miskick? If it makes you feel better, fine.

DoubleUp
04-27-2013, 03:34 PM
that is right CM mid position not Rw

Its essentially a 3man midfield of Laba, hall, Osario witdth comes mainly from your fullbacks and allows to maximize your ball rentention in the middle of the park, which will activate Silva's ability to slip balls into feet(mainly).

When we use wingers we spread the midfield to thin and leave silva and Hall to try and dominant alone, esepecially because we have inexperienced wingers.

and further more I see more football Iq in our CM's then are wingers who are headless chickens in comparison and far less influential.

everybody in that diamond has scored or assisted from the midfield position only mystery is Laba who probably has the best pedigree of the other 3.

So having a 3man middle(CORE)Laba/Hall/Osario with silva dropping in from the Cam position to compress the middle and exploit one of our better qualities which is ball retention, will go a long way Imo.

DoubleUp
04-27-2013, 03:38 PM
We are not good enough, yet, to beat a team with that much awareness up front. We will get there. But a team this young is going to make mistakes. Reminds me of Aston Villa this season.

Bostock provided some width. Ephraim did not. Lambe...I just have no clue what the heck he is doing as he never seems to be out on the wing attacking their fullback.

Earnshaw works well when he gets the ball in at his feet. Without a target man, that ain't gonna happen. Punts up to him are not going to work. Payne pointed out yesterday that right now we lack a certain type of passing and that Laba would help provide that.

Roll on Wednesday.

Thats because the way we are playing his role less of traditional winger( the space richter(rb)) already occupies.

To much width takes your CAM out of the game when he needs the ball in the middle of park where he can spread play to the strikers or fullbacks.

With the two side midfielders providing outlets for him and more support for the full backs.

flamehawk
04-27-2013, 03:50 PM
Damnit. Heartbroken. Went to bmo field hoping to recover from wolves' pending Relegation and only got more of the same. Couldn't even catch the youth w the reserves game cancelled

pawlukj
04-27-2013, 03:58 PM
the first half was pathetic, so many incomplete passes, bad plays etc., but i like how we looked at the end, goal was fantastic.. sucks but lets keep it going

PopePouri
04-27-2013, 04:15 PM
Nelsen: "We need personalities to go and win the ball and clear the ball -- strong personalities."

"We just don't seem to have the personality and the character to go and clear it into the stands or smash it miles away."

It's obvious. Morgan's going to be sitting the next game when Ecks comes back. Maybe even Califf comes back.

69Chevy396
04-27-2013, 04:20 PM

Roll on Wednesday.
Wednesday is a meaningless game. This team plays in MLS and for 7 years has demonstrated its continual mediocrity. Losing in the last minute is what lousy teams do. The competition has difficulty getting up for games here, this is common in pro sports. When the other team wakes up it strikes the knock out blow. Nothing we can do about it because in every team I have seen thus far few, if any, of our guys could,or would start for them. Earnshaw the lone exception. As i keep bemoaning, we are six starters away from becoming an average MLS side.

jabbronies
04-27-2013, 04:23 PM
Nelsen: "We need personalities to go and win the ball and clear the ball -- strong personalities."

"We just don't seem to have the personality and the character to go and clear it into the stands or smash it miles away."

It's obvious. Morgan's going to be sitting the next game when Ecks comes back. Maybe even Califf comes back.

Wondering if O'Dea should be the CCL CB and have Callif as the MLS starter.
Past couple games are a good argument for this to happen.

That other CB we had out there - disaster!

ensco
04-27-2013, 04:25 PM
Every late goal we give up further destroys the soul of this team. Every time we let in another, we become more likely to do it again. I don't know how we're ever going to get out of this.

What soul? We were a last place team that turned its roster over 80%. None of these guys knew each other 3 months ago.

How about we just accept that this is not a good team, and let it go at that?

69Chevy396
04-27-2013, 04:27 PM
Nelson, then u should be telling your boss to start eating pasta, drinking espresso, and take a trip or two to Italy

Oldtimer
04-27-2013, 04:36 PM
What soul? We were a last place team that turned its roster over 80%. None of these guys knew each other 3 months ago.

Exactly. People shouldn't get there hopes up. Once Payne gets in his next DP, and several other key missing pieces, and the team has time to gel, then we can start to expect to start winning games. There are still a number of players here who will be gone in the long-run.

Abou Sky
04-27-2013, 04:37 PM
Support was better than most recent games. Sky had tons of fun in the capo stand (thanks Flush)

We got what we deserved, Richter and Agboussamonde looked gutted at autograph alley. It's funny because it wasn't so much poor individual performance as it was lack of 'spark' between them.

Oh well, always next time.

reggie
04-27-2013, 04:40 PM
o dear...is so overated,and making way too much money...yes im going to say it....we still dont have a stud leading the back..and plz jus cut weedman,we were playing with 10 men most of the game.

adam1001
04-27-2013, 04:55 PM
Yeah Weeds is awful. I love when he runs intensely with the ball, then instantly cuts back when he reaches the opposing defenders. That's his trademark move. Give Osorio a start Nelsen!

o dear...is so overated,and making way too much money...yes im going to say it....we still dont have a stud leading the back..and plz jus cut weedman,we were playing with 10 men most of the game.

glaze
04-27-2013, 04:56 PM
just think how amazing it would be if our team pulled it out every game in the final minutes. If you could be in the stands singing knowing your team always scored a late goal to bring home the game.

JuliquE
04-27-2013, 05:16 PM
So upset. It's hard to know where to start.

Bendik: Couldn't do much on the goals and kept us in it with one or two great saves, as ever.

Richter: For me, he's great depth and his long throws are an asset.. but, he really needs to do better positionally; beaten far too often, after diving in, desperately, to recover.

Agboss: Had a tidy game and seems to have addressed his problem with being a little too casual on the ball, finding the right balance and showing great composure. Needs to keep starting, for me.

O'Dea: Made one or two pointless short passes, which actually put more pressure on Morgan (if memory serves), but had a mostly tidy game and is certainly a quality starting defender for us. No major complaints.

Morgan: I don't want to start a pile-on or anything, but he's just not a starter in this league, at the moment and neither is Emory.. albeit, I feel like the latter, barring injury, has the edge (again, judging purely from recent form, as one should, anyway). Too often he postures himself like a quality LB, only to allow the imminent cross, every time -- what should be one of his top priorities: stop the inc. cross. He's also very susceptible to making bone-headed errors, which cost us mightily (as evidenced, today).

Hall: I am happy for the lad. At the moment, I feel like he is no more mistake prone than anyone else has been in the line-up. He's lacking a bit in quality, at times, but, he can put in a great tackle (once such stellar challenge on Henry, in our 6 yard box) and has really grown into his roll as a destroyer -- even joins in the attack, from time to time (scored a very similar goal, as he did last time out, in pre-season, remember; can sometimes kill the play, but has looked better at linking things, over time and I feel that comes from him always wanting the ball). He will be great depth to have and let's not forget the other positions for which he also provides cover.

Lambe: I feel like his time is up -- to be honest, he really pissed me off, today.. though accumulation played every bit a role in that as did his poor play, on the day. I've mostly been pretty balanced in assessing his time with us, but I'm sick and tired of just seeing the odd flash, here or there, from him; he's done so little with the opportunity we've given him and, with competition stiffening up, as well as having been rested against Montréal, you would expect far more. Instead, he gives up on the play very easily and doesn't chase down half-chances; just seems to lack any belief and I feel like that shit spreads. I found myself screaming at the screen, today, wondering where the fuck he is when we're looking to attack. He doesn't seem to want the ball, often turning to run towards our own goal, when under relatively little pressure in the opposing half of the pitch, only to send a backwards or sideways pass, without making a run to look for the return ball and, generally, looking very disinterested, all throughout. When he does have a go, his efforts are often wild and he lacks the vision to find players in a better position to shoot. His numbers, whether we're talking crosses, assists or goals, have been poor and we need a lot more in that area of the line-up; drawing the odd foul, via those flashes of skill, will only take you so far and, for me, is nowhere near enough.

Ephraim: He has ideas that he physically can't execute; good footballing brain and a nice, if sometimes inconsistent, first touch.. but is, unfortunately, too often muscled off the ball, after an initially brilliant move.

*Bostock: I thought he had pace about him, but, he looked very sluggish and slow out there. I think he's probably more quick, than anything else, or maybe he's just fatigued from playing mid-week (hardly an excuse, at his age). At any rate, he gave the ball away a ton and, put simply, had a dreadful match. Still not ready to give up on him, when I remember his play against Montréal and considering he's not been here long (unlike Lambe, for instance). It's hard to know where he's most effective and it really might come down to the strengths/weaknesses of your opponent deciding it, with him; seems to struggle to impose himself, if he's being tightly marked and doesn't grow into the match, to overcome this. Instead, the shoulders drop and he doesn't strike me as hungry to make an impression, nor does he even track back, on defence. It's unfortunate, really, because he's got the talent to do well. Maybe playing in the middle would suit him best, as he can't seem to do much in the way of taking the ball to the by-line and putting a decent ball in (emphasis no the latter part).. but, unless we shift Silva further back (CM vs. AM, where he's far less effective/natural), this leaves him competing for a starting place with someone that has too much quality to leave off the pitch and I don't think it's worth signing him on permanently (after his loan) as depth. It's not looking too good, I'm afraid.

Silva: Didn't have a great game, but kept fighting and had a few moments. Let's remember that this is his first time playing 90+ mins., this year and, with that said, it seemed, at times, like there were a few crossed wires, as he tried to bring others around him into the game (looked a bit gassed, as well). He showed some good technique on that shot, towards the end, where he gets over the ball and keeps his effort on frame; unlucky for it to have been straight at the keeper. Every confidence that he will come good for us, if he can get a run of games at AM.

Braun: Today really showed the importance of a target man, with this current crop, as we really struggled to hold possession, after he goes off. Lacks quality, but works hard and has the tools to be effective in bringing down long-balls and drawing defenders, affording Earnie that bit more space. Good depth, for sure.

*Wiedeman: Seems to always be in two minds and is generally slow to get the ball out from under his feet. To be fair, the pitch seems to be sticking a lot, with many others having similar problems; hope this is addressed soon (i.e. more heavily watered, prior to kick-off, and/or cut lower). Still, he was rather poor, unfortunately. I think that Nelson should have anticipated that there's no way he would be able to replicate what a Koevs/Braun-type would add to the line-up and, thus, switching the tactics up, entirely. Instead, it was too little, too late, as we, again, with the right substitutions and tactics, could have had a bit of cushion, with one or two goals on the board. I guess he was wanting to reward Wiedeman for his play, mid-week; a bit harsh if, as a forward, you score a goal mid-week -- make the bench for the weekend game and, when one of the strikers go down, you don't get put on.. but, I still think that it should have played out that way.

**Osorio: This kid is really snatching at the opportunities being afforded him. We shouldn't have to rely on him to regularly start, but I wouldn't be opposed to him starting the next match, after the side's performance today (or lack thereof). Just a shame that, at the very least, we couldn't walk away with a point, after a strike like his; feels worse when you consider the manner in which we conceded (stemming from Morgan's silly miskick).

Earnshaw: He's becoming frustrated, although he's trying to remain composed. The chances aren't coming and the tactics to utilize him best aren't being implemented; he's never bringing down all those hopeless lost causes, being sent over the midfield -- keep it on the ground and only go for the long-ball if you're sure that's the one that will hurt them. He was his usual opportunistic self and, like a predator, pounced on any errors. The trouble is, this should be a bonus, rather than what we primarily use him for.

Yohan
04-27-2013, 05:18 PM
Rant mode on

Utter bullshit. 3 games in a row TFC gave up a goal in last 10mins of the match. A team can't be this incompetent. I'd have easier time believing that entire TFC squad is in some match fixing scam than believe that they are this shit.

I'm so sick of lack of balls, heart or desire. The entire squad, including the manager and coaches should get fined a week's wage everytime they let in a goal in closing stage of the match. If they don't have the heart to play the game full 90 mins, maybe hitting their pockets might motivate them to get their heads out of their asses. At least take away their dessert privilege or something.

Fucking bunch of losers. Why bother trying to win CCL when they'd be laughed at again? They call themselves professional footballers? Lacking in pride? I'd be so ashamed that I'd turn my cleats in and go work at McDonalds.

/end rant

69Chevy396
04-27-2013, 05:28 PM
just think how amazing it would be if our team pulled it out every game in the final minutes. If you could be in the stands singing knowing your team always scored a late goal to bring home the game.
Yup, thats what I was hoping for before i dumped my tickets. Supporting this club reminds me ofsome of the hopeless dreamers castigated on Dragons Den for throwing money after bad ideas have become obsessions. Hard to support this team when half the players belong in the USL. This includes the entire back line. How is it that none of these players measure up to a guywe got rid of years go (Dunivant)? Yup, pure negativity. A balanced view perhaps given the way so any people here elevate the skill level of our players despite the game play realities. And, a view embraced by a lot of disgruntled fans (was BMO sold out today?)

brad
04-27-2013, 05:59 PM
Wednesday is a meaningless game.

No it isn't. Letting Montreal or Vancouver take our domestic cup is not an option, and not acceptable - at any cost. While I do agree the extra games do hurt us, no way is it meaningless.

69Chevy396
04-27-2013, 06:08 PM
No it isn't. Letting Montreal or Vancouver take our domestic cup is not an option, and not acceptable - at any cost. While I do agree the extra games do hurt us, no way is it meaningless.
Sadly, if either Montreal or Vancouver really wanted it, they would take it as both clubs are currently better than us. This competition has become an afterthought. How many fans showed up on Wed?

boysblue
04-27-2013, 06:08 PM
fellas, fellas.....i hate to repeat my refrain, but the best course of action here is to simply relax. sit back secure in the knowledge that the smart guys at mlse will get things right. they will not let passionate and honest supporters like yourselves down. have faith and remember "all for one lads. all for one".

69Chevy396
04-27-2013, 06:15 PM
fellas, fellas.....i hate to repeat my refrain, but the best course of action here is to simply relax. sit back secure in the knowledge that the smart guys at mlse will get things right. they will not let passionate and honest supporters like yourselves down. have faith and remember "all for one lads. all for one".
You are kidding, right? The smart guys at MLSE must be living in a dungeon somewhere cause no living being has seen them for decades.

Eastend
04-27-2013, 06:22 PM
Rant mode on

Utter bullshit. 3 games in a row TFC gave up a goal in last 10mins of the match. A team can't be this incompetent. I'd have easier time believing that entire TFC squad is in some match fixing scam than believe that they are this shit.

I'm so sick of lack of balls, heart or desire. The entire squad, including the manager and coaches should get fined a week's wage everytime they let in a goal in closing stage of the match. If they don't have the heart to play the game full 90 mins, maybe hitting their pockets might motivate them to get their heads out of their asses. At least take away their dessert privilege or something.

Fucking bunch of losers. Why bother trying to win CCL when they'd be laughed at again? They call themselves professional footballers? Lacking in pride? I'd be so ashamed that I'd turn my cleats in and go work at McDonalds.

/end rant

I want a ticket + game expenses refund every time they let a goal in after the 80th. There isn't anything left to say that hasn't been said already. I am a grown man but I just wanted to cry in frustration.

Dom.

denMAR
04-27-2013, 06:47 PM
That was super disappointing - we got to be breaking some kind of record for dropping points in the last 15.

Cashcleaner
04-27-2013, 06:54 PM

The thing is, Nelsen isn't being paid to be simply aware of this problem - he's being paid to fix it as well. I'm having a hard time giving him the benefit of the doubt on this issue. As I remarked previously, this is not simply a bit of bad luck - it's a trend and soon becoming a standard. The club's inability to fix just this one issue is very disconcerting.

Like I said last time, it is something other teams in the league look at, and know they have a good chance at tying or scoring the winner in the last part of the game. It will get worse because teams LOOK to do this due to our history of it.

Completely agree with you guys. We're locked in a vicious circle here. And we need to understand that the others teams in this league don't live in a vacuum - they will exploit this weakness at every opportunity. There is this mysitcal intangible thing called a "reputation" that players and teams have, and we are developing one right now as a club that just can't compete for the time that is expected of us.

Nelson, then u should be telling your boss to start eating pasta, drinking espresso, and take a trip or two to Italy

Montreal beat Chicago soundly 2-0 today after the TFC match with Di Vaio bagging his 4th goal in 7 matches, and he had quite a few chances to score at least one more. Whatever is going on in Montreal is working, because I don't believe the Impact have left their place top of the conference this season.

Rant mode on

/end rant

I find that I just can't argue with you on this. The team should be embarrassed for themselves. Again, once or twice is bad luck - but this is not merely once or twice now!

You are kidding, right? The smart guys at MLSE must be living in a dungeon somewhere cause no living being has seen them for decades.

Well, make no mistake that the new guy saw what sort of fiasco this match turned into today. Obviously he knew about our troubles before coming to town, but I bet this was a real eye-opener.

Red CB Toronto
04-27-2013, 07:11 PM
All I want to remember from today is JO's goal and the passion he showed with his celebration. Good on the Canadian kid.

http://d3.yimg.com/sr/img/1/74d5c4af-af29-3da3-b3fa-0268bf70d7ce

Eastend
04-27-2013, 07:13 PM
Oh, who is Matt and does he need justice for?

Dom

C.Ronaldo
04-27-2013, 07:43 PM
This isnt an excuse for a shitty clearance, but it was a hand ball on NY right before the 89th minute goal. The ball bounced around the elbow area in a cupped manner.

Still shitty defending but that ref was bad all day long.

In the end we were out played and should have lost regardless

ouderwien
04-27-2013, 07:53 PM
Any information on the Reserve game?

Abou Sky
04-27-2013, 08:05 PM
Seriously though, calm down.

Boys were out of form today, that was our worst game this year.

We all want to win every home game but that isn't going to happen.

The general momentum is good, I know we have all been bitten many times (some more than others) but that was game 8 of a team that was 6ft under.

notthesun
04-27-2013, 08:07 PM

I didn't mention anything about us being good? My point is every time this happens, we make it that much harder on ourselves. The players' confidence once we hit 80 minutes was already terrible and it just got worse. Yes it's a new team, yes we're inexperienced. But even new and inexperienced teams don't give up this many late goals, there's just no arguing otherwise.

jabbronies
04-27-2013, 08:08 PM
Rant mode on

/end rant

These are things I keep saying about the team after every game.
These guys are jokers.

jabbronies
04-27-2013, 08:13 PM

Well, make no mistake that the new guy saw what sort of fiasco this match turned into today. Obviously he knew about our troubles before coming to town, but I bet this was a real eye-opener.

FWIW - Heard on the fan590 that the new guy said fixing Raptors and TFC are first priority. We'll see - TFC are in emergency mode IMO - that stadium looked pretty empty today compared to years past and this team isn't much to convince people to come back or to even keep those already there in the stands.

ensco
04-27-2013, 08:23 PM
Fine, we all agree, they're not a good team. But why go on and act otherwise?

It's not important that we suck late in games. Who cares when we suck?

We are in every game. That is actually progress.

A lot of people here need to smarten up. We lost to a better team. Get over it. We are going to get Nelsen evaluated prematurely (ie fired), using the wrong criteria, if we harp on the wrong things.

ag futbol
04-27-2013, 08:25 PM
I'm not going to read into this any more than last week, or the week before, or any other game this season.

Simple fact: we are short of talent to compete with top teams in this league. That talent isn't going to instantly materialize, it will take time to build. We lost this game on talent, forget "heart and effort" that's just hyperbol.

I'll look positively on the fact they've unearthed Osorio, turned hall into a decent roster piece (total shocker), and seem to stay reasonably organized. These small wins will eventually add up, but for now we have to look at an abstract picture of where we're going.

notthesun
04-27-2013, 08:26 PM
Late goal aside, some thoughts about the game:

- I'm taking this game as proof that Braun should be starting every game, and then Koevermans when he comes back. We just don't have the players in midfield to generate enough good build-up play to get chances. Wide midfielders and Hall (been much better than earlier this year but still can't distribute effectively) are the biggest problem here. Braun gives us that extra dimension up top, a chance to still come away with the ball when we run out of options in defense or midfield. Taking him off and replacing him with Weeds hurt us a lot.
- Morgan needs to get his shit straight. Don't know what else to say really.
- I'm officially underwhelmed by Ephraim.
- Another indifferent performance from Lambe. Bostock not much better, which is disappointing because he was so good against Montreal.
- O'Dea still a beast.
- Bendik still mistake free, couldn't do anything about the goals today.
- Silva had a real off day today. Too bad but he's been lights out so I can give him a freebie.
- Osorio you beauty. And by the way, that's another Nelsen substitution leading directly to a goal. Plus he had the stones to take off Wiedeman who already subbed on, which was a fantastic decision. If I hear anyone say Nelsen's subs have been poor again I'm gonna lose it.

OgtheDim
04-27-2013, 08:27 PM
OH my GOSH. We lost a GAME!!! We PLAYED BADLY FOR THE FIRST TIME THIS YEAR!!!! The SKY IS FALLING!!!!! SOMEBODY BLEW IT IN THE 90TH MINUTE!!!!

BURN THEM!!! FIRE THEM ALL!!!! RUN AROUND WITH CAPONS ON OUR HEADS!!!!! BRING BACK ALL THE NOW PROVEN TO BE MUCH BETTER COACHES AND PRESIDENTS AND GOAL SCORERS WE HAD BEFORE!!!!!

ITS AN EMERGENCY DAMN IT!!!

Losing always sucks. And when they play badly, that doubly sucks.

But we are moving forward from where we were.

Many people stated before this season started that there would be long days ahead. Well this is one of those days.

Nothing has changed.

Roll on Wednesday.

Yohan
04-27-2013, 08:30 PM
Normally I'm the Keep Calm and Trust Nelsen type of guy, but I'd rather lose 3-0 than give up a late goal and lose.

More calm now but fuck. Isn't fighting spirit something Nelsen said he wanted the team to have, regardless of talent?

boysblue
04-27-2013, 08:38 PM
i can guarantee that the smart guys at mlse are not in any dungeon--quite the opposite. at the moment they are counting today's receipts, and i can assure you they are nowhere near the dungeon--you will find them in the penthouse, my friend. that is why they are the smart guys. remember lads: "all for one".

Stryker
04-27-2013, 08:39 PM
Laughing my ass off at the people questioning O Dea. He made one big mistake last week and suddenly he's not worthy of starting in MLS. Give your fuckin heads a shake.

Red CB Toronto
04-27-2013, 08:41 PM
Any information on the Reserve game?

It was canceled, guess the injuries the Reds had got in the way of fielding a full reserve side.

Abou Sky
04-27-2013, 08:51 PM
Normally I'm the Keep Calm and Trust Nelsen type of guy, but I'd rather lose 3-0 than give up a late goal and lose.

More calm now but fuck. Isn't fighting spirit something Nelsen said he wanted the team to have, regardless of talent?

But we should have lost 3-0, we played terribly. Better game 8 of league play than a game that decides if we make it into the playoffs.

Redbulls are inconsistent, but today they were solidly the better team.

brad
04-27-2013, 08:56 PM
Laughing my ass off at the people questioning O Dea. He made one big mistake last week and suddenly he's not worthy of starting in MLS. Give your fuckin heads a shake.

Some people expect too much from MLS players, and don't tend to realize that players that rarely make mistakes tend to be playing for the Barcelona's and Man Utd's of the world - not in the MLS.

notthesun
04-27-2013, 08:57 PM

A lot of people here need to smarten up. We lost to a better team. Get over it. We are going to get Nelsen evaluated prematurely (ie fired), using the wrong criteria, if we harp on the wrong things.

Agree with bold. Disagree with underlined.

We're now at 4 late goals conceded on the season, and 3 of them consecutively.

My point: I don't pretend we're near being a playoff team. But the way we give up late goals is not normal, even for bad, inexperienced teams. It's not normal. It's an actual problem that deserves specific attention. Dismissing it as part of going through the growing pains strikes me as a bit too wishful. It's the kind of thing that creates a culture that sticks with a team despite turnover in players. You think the San Jose Sharks' players who weren't around 5 or more years ago don't feel extra pressure to win in the playoffs because of the history of the franchise?

DoubleUp
04-27-2013, 09:02 PM
Redbulls were more experienced, our team is young.

we were stride for stride till the experience kicked in.

The first game this season I can say we were heavily out played throughout the match.

Detroit_TFC
04-27-2013, 09:04 PM
It was poor from both sides but we made more mistakes. Thierry Henry looked like he rather be getting a root canal. No matter, he looks that way at Red Bull Arena too.

Not even going to comment on Our Peculiar Problem. It's all been said, many times on many days.

Morgan needs a year at a USL team. I'm about done with him.

DoubleUp
04-27-2013, 09:09 PM
It was poor from both sides but we made more mistakes. Thierry Henry looked like he rather be getting a root canal. No matter, he looks that way at Red Bull Arena too.

Not even going to comment on Our Peculiar Problem. It's all been said, many times on many days.

Morgan needs a year at a USL team. I'm about done with him.

I think Emory should get another look.

69Chevy396
04-27-2013, 09:19 PM
OH my GOSH. We lost a GAME!!! We PLAYED BADLY FOR THE FIRST TIME THIS YEAR!!!! The SKY IS FALLING!!!!! SOMEBODY BLEW IT IN THE 90TH MINUTE!!!!

BURN THEM!!! FIRE THEM ALL!!!! RUN AROUND WITH CAPONS ON OUR HEADS!!!!! BRING BACK ALL THE NOW PROVEN TO BE MUCH BETTER COACHES AND PRESIDENTS AND GOAL SCORERS WE HAD BEFORE!!!!!

ITS AN EMERGENCY DAMN IT!!!

Losing always sucks. And when they play badly, that doubly sucks.

But we are moving forward from where we were.

Many people stated before this season started that there would be long days ahead. Well this is one of those days.

Nothing has changed.

Roll on Wednesday.

The 50-70 percent player turnover from year to year, the near dozen managers, the thousands of empty BMO seats, would be interpreted as an emergency in any city except Toronto.

Oldtimer
04-27-2013, 09:28 PM
I think Emory should get another look. I think Payne should be looking in Italy for a replacement for both.

Abou Sky
04-27-2013, 09:39 PM
I think Payne should be looking in Italy for a replacement for both.

I agree that a replacement is needed, why Italy?

Yohan
04-27-2013, 09:43 PM
to keep JoeyB happy, of cours

69Chevy396
04-27-2013, 09:55 PM
If you re referring to eligible players, than why not Italy? Both Serie A and B remain tough, defence oriented leagues. Perfect transition to MLS, where the lack in skill is often made up in pace and dirty play. If you have spent time watching Italian soccer, u will know this. It is no secret that The owners in Montreal know this too. Not to put down the UK orientation TFC has embraced over the years, but they have been mediocre much of the time. A change is in order I think. I haverelatives in Italy who contend Serie B is replete with outstanding talent ripe for the picking in a weak economy. It is odd few have moved o MLS.

ensco
04-27-2013, 10:02 PM
Agree with bold. Disagree with underlined.

We're now at 4 late goals conceded on the season, and 3 of them consecutively.

My point: I don't pretend we're near being a playoff team. But the way we give up late goals is not normal, even for bad, inexperienced teams. It's not normal. It's an actual problem that deserves specific attention. Dismissing it as part of going through the growing pains strikes me as a bit too wishful. It's the kind of thing that creates a culture that sticks with a team despite turnover in players. You think the San Jose Sharks' players who weren't around 5 or more years ago don't feel extra pressure to win in the playoffs because of the history of the franchise?

Specific attention. What are you talking about? Like what? Seriously, what would you do? What are the odds that what you would do won't just cause problems and/or be a distraction in itself?

While you are at it, get them to score more goals, and can we please have some nice goals? Like right now. Today.

Flipityflu
04-27-2013, 10:11 PM
this could get worse before it gets better with all the games with are playing right now. it simply could be fitness level.

Red CB Toronto
04-27-2013, 10:21 PM
Time to move on from today's depressing end and look forward. And in the night, you’ll hear the Reds calling,
 you’ll hear them calling.
And in your dreams, you’ll see the Reds falling, falling. But the truth is this thing is going somewhere, just how long it will take for this journey to see the light, we simply can not answer that question yet

T-boy
04-27-2013, 10:36 PM
My thoughts on this game, for what its worth!

I have no complaints about the late 89th minute goal for NYRB's today - this wasn't anything to do with a late goal, more to do with TFC playing poorly the whole game. Honestly, TFC wouldn't have deserves that point if they had held the draw. TFC were flat throughout, and really, NYRB were better all over the field. Stronger in midfield, and their two wide midfielders were both much better than Morgan and Richter (although Richter was ok today, Morgan wasn't very good). Both NY wingers created lots of space, ran quickly at the Toronto defense and constantly caused problems.

A couple of positives: Osorio clearly has some future, but we really need to keep a slow development, I don't want him thrown in the starting 11 too early. A super sub role is perfect for the kid right now. Hall had another good game. I know he sometimes lacks final ball quality, but he NEVER hides. He must have touched the ball much much more than any other TFC player today (can anybody give me a stat to back up my opinion on that???) so I really like his desire to get on the ball and TRY and make something happen. Richter, O'Dea, and Earnshaw were all ok today, generally.

The biggest diasspointment continues to be Bostock. He had an utterly awful game. He looks like he has absolutely NO confidence at all! I remember away at Montreal he was constantly taking on the full back, creating passes and chances by his movement. But ever since, and especially today, he looks like he can't beat a full back for anything, has NO off-the-ball movement at all, and constantly gives the ball away. He's a player a REALLY want to do well, but on this showing, he's got no future at TFC. In midweek in the home Montreal game Bostock looked ok, especially when he came in field. Maybe wing just isn't his position? I dunno, he's a VERY frustrating player, I'm not sure what the issue is with him. He had two excellent opportunities in the second half to run at the NYRB defense, and both times he slowed the ball right down, got trapped in an alleyway right by the touchline and completely lost the ball. He looked like he had no idea whatsoever what to do! Weird!

This game really just showed that Nelson and Payne still have some work to do. The team was cobbled together very late in the preseason, so I'm sure they are still looking for their full time answers for new players in the future. I don't really see Bostock, Ephraim, Weeds being here very long, we need better quality players than those. Braun, I like, but he shouldn't be first choice. And Morgan, again I want to like as a local lad, but I think we need a better, more aggresive, full back than him.

I think its also time to get Califf back in the starting 11 - Boss is good and athletic, but we need the experience and leadership of Califf at the moment.

I'm not overly upset about the result today, I just don't think TFC have the personnel just yet, I'm sure Nelson and Payne would love to upgrade a few of those players, but we will probably have to wait until the mid season window to get some of those. NYRB were the better team. We play them again at home in July, it will be interesting to see if we improve in the next game with a few new/better players in the squad.

Sally Mack
04-27-2013, 10:38 PM
It's just re-run after re-run after re-run

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bT98l14KnSs

Sally Mack
04-27-2013, 10:41 PM
The biggest diasspointment continues to be Bostock. He had an utterly awful game. He looks like he has absolutely NO confidence at all! I remember away at Montreal he was constantly taking on the full back, creating passes and chances by his movement. But ever since, and especially today, he looks like he can't beat a full back for anything, has NO off-the-ball movement at all, and constantly gives the ball away. He's a player a REALLY want to do well, but on this showing, he's got no future at TFC. In midweek in the home Montreal game Bostock looked ok, especially when he came in field. Maybe wing just isn't his position? I dunno, he's a VERY frustrating player, I'm not sure what the issue is with him. He had two excellent opportunities in the second half to run at the NYRB defense, and both times he slowed the ball right down, got trapped in an alleyway right by the touchline and completely lost the ball. He looked like he had no idea whatsoever what to do! Weird!

I've said it since day 1... it looks like he doesn't want to be here. He always appears to just be going through the motions. Send him back to london.

T-boy
04-27-2013, 10:45 PM
I've said it since day 1... it looks like he doesn't want to be here. He always appears to just be going through the motions. Send him back to london.

Yeah. It's unfortunate, cos he's clearly got ball skills. But his body language and lack of desire tell me he's either not happy, or so lacking in confidence in his own ability, that its ruining his career.

ProfessorDamage
04-27-2013, 10:55 PM
Yeah. It's unfortunate, cos he's clearly got ball skills. But his body language and lack of desire tell me he's either not happy, or so lacking in confidence in his own ability, that its ruining his career.

Let me guess, you're one of the guys who would've said the same about Alen Stevanovic, who's now playing quite well in the Italian topflight?

You clearly weren't watching Wednesday in terms of Bostock's contributions, and today was a bad day for the whole team.

I love how dudes around here, with a very bare minimum of knowledge, hop on a player. It happened to Dunfield, happened to Hall, De Ro, Barrett, you name them. Now it's happening to a player from the EPL who doesn't mind playing for our shitty little MLS team. Check your head.

Corpand
04-27-2013, 11:01 PM
That was very disappointing. I was watching the body language on our players post 80th minute. It was very easy to do because half of them were standing around watching the play, not doing much. They were thinking exactly what we fans were thinking, and that is a massive distraction. Causes you to make mistakes and just disturbs general play and motivation. AKA Everyone was deer-in-headlighting when the ball was around them. We either need to start winning games by 2+ goals or go on a massive winning streak to get out of this conceding funk. I do feel confident that Laba will give a different perspective to our defense come 90th minute.

The fatigue showed after the 55th minute, various players moving into more withdrawn positions. Terrible when you're chasing for that goal.
Fuck yes to Osorio. He is Nelsen's favourite student at the moment and he uses him to great effectiveness.

It is shocking to me how much Morgan has regressed since last year. He was figured out quick but had speed to recover before. This year he is positionally terrible, disasterous confidence issue with him.

Silva was absolutely crowded out in midfield so he created alot of nothing. Still one of the better performers today.

Braun, yes more please, shame about injury. Earnie, no service at all, and O'Dea cannons from the backline are not considered service. Oh, and Richter. Typical NA hard-working defender. Relatively solid in winning the ball but is absolutely atrocious going forward. It feels like he has never played in that area of the field when he gets further up.

Sally Mack
04-27-2013, 11:13 PM
Let me guess, you're one of the guys who would've said the same about Alen Stevanovic, who's now playing quite well in the Italian topflight?

You clearly weren't watching Wednesday in terms of Bostock's contributions, and today was a bad day for the whole team.

Stevanovic and Bostock are 2 peas in a pod in my books. Two guys that were loaned out to mls thinking they're too good for this league. Passing as a last resort, and losing possession as a result. Stevanovic is doing better in serie a because he trusts his teammates more, and he doesn't feel the need to always take on the opposition himself.

But yes, bostock was better on Wednesday (he actually ran! both tracking back, and with possession), which made it even more frustrating to watch him do nothing but dribble himself into a corner today.

ag futbol
04-27-2013, 11:50 PM
Stevanovic and Bostock are 2 peas in a pod in my books. Two guys that were loaned out to mls thinking they're too good for this league. Passing as a last resort, and losing possession as a result. Stevanovic is doing better in serie a because he trusts his teammates more, and he doesn't feel the need to always take on the opposition himself.

But yes, bostock was better on Wednesday (he actually ran! both tracking back, and with possession), which made it even more frustrating to watch him do nothing but dribble himself into a corner today.
Of note: after Stevanovic left TFC he continued to fall even further until he had his "uh oh, I've nearly burnt all my bridges so if I don't perform soon I have no future" moment and since then he's been fulfilling his potential. This club can't be all things to all people. Probably wasn't going to be the place a troubled player like Stevanovic was going to turn it around.

ag futbol
04-28-2013, 12:02 AM
The 50-70 percent player turnover from year to year, the near dozen managers, the thousands of empty BMO seats, would be interpreted as an emergency in any city except Toronto.
Yeah we've been in a constant state of emergency since year 3 and that's the way the club (when steered by Anselmi and Co.) handled it.

So what's the solution?

TFCwestcan
04-28-2013, 12:34 AM
Watched the game via PVR, an ugly game indeed.

Looking forward to Laba's debut next week. Hope we have Ecks back as well.

notthesun
04-28-2013, 01:01 AM
Specific attention. What are you talking about? Like what? Seriously, what would you do? What are the odds that what you would do won't just cause problems and/or be a distraction in itself?

I don't know. I just think it's something Nelsen needs to try to figure out. Are you saying he should just do nothing about it? Just throw his hands up in the air after each collapse and say "welp, nothing to be done"?

Crossing our fingers and hoping this stops in a month or half a year or a year doesn't seem like much of a solution.

flamehawk
04-28-2013, 01:31 AM
all had another good game. I know he sometimes lacks final ball quality, but he NEVER hides. He must have touched the ball much much more than any other TFC player today (can anybody give me a stat to back up my opinion on that???)

http://www.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2013-04-27-TOR-v-NY/chalkboard

I am not sure if its relevant but Hall has 60 successful passes and 15 unsuccessful significantly more than the next most (Richter's 40 successful 16 unsuccessful. While many of these were simple lay offs and short passes, it seems to indicate that he had much more touches than others.

khso11
04-28-2013, 01:36 AM
To be honest, by the way we played we deserved this scoreline, but it's even more frustrating due to consistantly conceding late goals. Nelsen should not be blame for the results, the only mistake he made today was probably putting on Weeds instead of Bostock (i can see why, maybe because of Weeds performance vs. MTL) and Brauns injury really killed our initial plan. There's nothing that the defence could do for NY's last goal, it was a amature mistake made by Morgan causing an intial breakaway, and by Henry and Cahill's pedigree, they're going to work something out.

O'Dea should never be criticize, he's solid, he's the reason why we didn't lose the game in the 70th min when Espindola was on the break away.

Agbossmonde are also solid and played well, but I think starting Califf next game would give boss a game to "get back on track", his confidence should be broken by the last few late game killers. Or maybe pairing him with Califf and push O'dea to LB, but I rather not.

The supporter atmosphere today was one of the best I've seen this year. Also putting 2 capos (one at 113 and 112) always brings the noise up alot!

Looking forward to midweeks game and Laba!

notthesun
04-28-2013, 03:40 AM
Also, just want to point out I called it on Robles being suspect in the box. :p Braun really could've helped us in this game.

HuTor
04-28-2013, 04:02 AM

// rant mode on //

No, we can't get over it!
Because if we do, it means we'll have forever a fucking bottom dweller team supporter mentality (... not matter here if we were / are permanently bottom dwellers since the franchise's inception until now).
And because 80% of the MLS teams are better than us, which would mean we should be happy if we're not getting our asses handed to us (= got beaten!) by 80% of the teams we play.

// rant mode off //

tfc007
04-28-2013, 06:49 AM
morgan is a shit defender,cant pass, cant read plays, is allways out of position, makes bad decisions that cost us goals time after time. Time to ride the pine or send him to the reserves or something. At best Sunday Beer League defender. Tired of this FUCKEN SHIT TEAM.

prizby
04-28-2013, 07:11 AM
Oh, who is Matt and does he need justice for?

Dom

supporter who was banned on wednesday for carrying a banner to BMO Field

security/police claimed he had lit and waved a flare (outside of BMO Field) and they had video evidence of it; everytime he was asked to be shown the video evidence by security/the police, they kept deflecting his questions and never showed him the evidence; all in while 15-20 supporters were kettled in the supportes gate for 10-15 minutes with no reason being given to anyone.

Eastend
04-28-2013, 07:54 AM
I see.

tfcleeds
04-28-2013, 08:34 AM
Right now, I'm just hopeful that a change of scenery will do the lads some good. I'm not making any excuses for them, but the fact is, we've had a tough start to the season, tougher than most (perhaps Philly excepted). I think our next two league matches are certainly winnable, and maybe getting back on the road for a bit, knowing they have to face that extra bit of adversity, will be an opportunity for the team to bond, stand together, and get out of this funk.

Detroit_TFC
04-28-2013, 08:38 AM
Bostock seems like a player who wants to do his piece and let others do their piece. Now, he's called on contributing much more playing a bigger role than he is used to, and he just doesn't look like he's happy about that. I bet he is counting down the days before he can go back to the UK.

tfcleeds
04-28-2013, 08:42 AM
Bostock seems like a player who wants to do his piece and let others do their piece. Now, he's called on contributing much more playing a bigger role than he is used to, and he just doesn't look like he's happy about that. I bet he is counting down the days before he can go back to the UK.

Yep, you can certainly tell sometimes who the loanees are. As much talent as Bostock and Ephraim may possess, it seems like their heads are back in London half the time.

Detroit_TFC
04-28-2013, 08:48 AM
Yep, you can certainly tell sometimes who the loanees are. As much talent as Bostock and Ephraim may possess, it seems like their heads are back in London half the time.

I wonder if they thought it would be like playing in the Conference National and they would be so much better than everyone else that they could stroll through games. Sad thing is, they are better than what we had, but aren't applying themselves well.

tiberius
04-28-2013, 10:24 AM
morgan is a shit defender,cant pass, cant read plays, is allways out of position, makes bad decisions that cost us goals time after time. Time to ride the pine or send him to the reserves or something. At best Sunday Beer League defender. Tired of this FUCKEN SHIT TEAM.

With the number of posters in this thread that are having cows, we could rent the whole herd out to MLSE to keep the grass short at BMO!

It is totally unrealistic to expect Payne and Nelsen to pull a winning team out of Tom Anselmi's ass in a couple of months. Anybody here seriously think it is possible or realistic? Anyone who has watched the Tom Anselmi shit-show, in its entirety, should have a firm grip on reality by now...

I get it that we all want to win. This year. for the most part, we have gotten watchable games where we have been in the game until the end. We cannot reasonably ask for anything more right now.

If you want to seriously moan about this club, wait until June 2014 - Sheeesh.

Detroit_TFC
04-28-2013, 10:39 AM
Got to agree. No one can possibly believe this is either Nelsen's or Payne's idea of a complete squad. This is a squad to bridge us to the summer window. And even then, realistically we might get only one or two new players.

Yohan
04-28-2013, 10:54 AM
With the number of posters in this thread that are having cows, we could rent the whole herd out to MLSE to keep the grass short at BMO!

It is totally unrealistic to expect Payne and Nelsen to pull a winning team out of Tom Anselmi's ass in a couple of months. Anybody here seriously think it is possible or realistic? Anyone who has watched the Tom Anselmi shit-show, in its entirety, should have a firm grip on reality by now...

I get it that we all want to win. This year. for the most part, we have gotten watchable games where we have been in the game until the end. We cannot reasonably ask for anything more right now.

If you want to seriously moan about this club, wait until June 2014 - Sheeesh.
I won't speak for everyone, but it's unacceptable that a team keeps on giving up late goals like this. That is not a talent problem. That's a mentality and leadership problem.

And if you are a player potentially thinking of playing in MLS, would you want to play for a team that keeps on shitting on the bed in this fashion? It's one thing to lose. It's another to shamefully give up goals in this matter.
I'd stay the fuck away from TFC. Why would I want to play for a team that lacks desire to win, no matter how good the money is?
We know Nelsen is really trying. But from window dressing POV and what most people will see of TFC, we deserve all the mocking and be laughed at. Fuck, it's not like it's the refs fucking over TFC like a lot of old days

T-boy
04-28-2013, 11:32 AM

I love how dudes around here, with a very bare minimum of knowledge, hop on a player. It happened to Dunfield, happened to Hall, De Ro, Barrett, you name them. Now it's happening to a player from the EPL who doesn't mind playing for our shitty little MLS team. Check your head.

Ok, so where did I say that Bostock is a BAD player? Anywhere? No, I didn't say that! I said that he's clearly lacking in confidence or that he's not happy. Nowhere did I say that Bostock hasn't got skills or that he's not CAPABLE of being a good player.

Same for Stefanovic, same for Laurent Robert when he was here, same for Pablo Vitti also. Clearly, these guys have skills, but for whatever reason, they didn't do it while in the MLS and at TFC. It's not always down to "he's a good player" or "he's a bad player", there are many other factors that can affect a players game.

So please don't put words in my mouth that I haven't said!

ag futbol
04-28-2013, 11:35 AM
I won't speak for everyone, but it's unacceptable that a team keeps on giving up late goals like this. That is not a talent problem. That's a mentality and leadership problem.

And if you are a player potentially thinking of playing in MLS, would you want to play for a team that keeps on shitting on the bed in this fashion? It's one thing to lose. It's another to shamefully give up goals in this matter.
I'd stay the fuck away from TFC. Why would I want to play for a team that lacks desire to win, no matter how good the money is?
We know Nelsen is really trying. But from window dressing POV and what most people will see of TFC, we deserve all the mocking and be laughed at. Fuck, it's not like it's the refs fucking over TFC like a lot of old days
Looks very much like a talent problem to me.

Doniel Henry giving away bad passes in midfield, Ashton Morgan making a U-15 like clearance right into the centre of the field, Russell heading a ball right back into the six yard box, those are all individual mistakes that better players would have dealt with. You look at the characteristics of those players too, Henry's passing leaves a lot to be desired, Ashton Morgan is technically poor and often makes a hash of those things, and Russell has struggled quite a bit too when it comes to defending. So I don't think anything that's happened post 90 is surprising. If we look deeper at those events too, there are even more mistakes to be uncovered that we could eventually link to the final events: O'Dea taking ball to the corner, Morgan begin soundly beaten again going up for that header, TFC players loosing Creavalle on the corner kick, Morgan putting himself in dumb positions given that he already was carrying a yellow card.

It's also worth noting that deficiencies of bad teams often show up later in games. We're not cursed or not adjusting to the conditions late in the game, we're just showing weakness when bad teams show weakness, because we're a bad team.

Detroit_TFC
04-28-2013, 11:41 AM
Not to change the subject but I was glad to see that BMO F was selling Steamwhistle at the miscellaneous beer stand on the West Side.

Yohan
04-28-2013, 11:41 AM
Let's examine the dagger goal.

Robles hoofs the down the field. Luyindula wins the flick on against Agbossoumonde in the air (mental mistake #1). Balls goes to Ashtone Morgan who kindly decides to give the ball back to Luyindula (mistake #2) who passes to Henry who losses his marker Agbossoumonde (mistake #3) for a cross to Tim Cahill who wants the ball more to head in, posterizing Ashtone Morgan in the process. (mistake #4)

how the heck is this sequence a talent problem? if you want to win bad enough, Boss would not have lost the battle in the air vs Luyindula (who is a bit of stud) when he could see the ball coming his way. Don't even get me started on Morgan looking like an idiot vs Cahill.

notthesun
04-28-2013, 11:45 AM
Looks very much like a talent problem to me.

Doniel Henry giving away bad passes in midfield, Ashton Morgan making a U-15 like clearance right into the centre of the field, Russell heading a ball right back into the six yard box, those are all individual mistakes that better players would have dealt with. You look at the characteristics of those players too, Henry's passing leaves a lot to be desired, Ashton Morgan is technically poor and often makes a hash of those things, and Russell has struggled quite a bit too when it comes to defending. So I don't think anything that's happened post 90 is surprising.

It's also worth noting that deficiencies of bad teams often show up later in games. We're not cursed or not adjusting to the conditions late in the game, we're just showing weakness when bad teams show weakness, because we're a bad team.

This doesn't exclude the mentality issue though. You don't think Morgan was feeling the pressure of trying to avoid another late goal when he flubbed his clearance? O'Dea was so scared to hand Houston possession with a throw that he accidentally gave them a corner, and you can't say he lacks talent. That was 100% a mental thing. He didn't have enough confidence in his team to defend a throw in. That's crazy.

pawlukj
the situation here is not as bad as it seems, as mentioned we need more discipline, more time to gel, and invidual mistakes must be corrected immediately.. so in that sense there is alot of room for improvement.. on the upside.. when we had to fight to get the equalizer, we did , pressed strong and created things (that ssort of play for 90 minutes would be amazing to watch)... i dont think these dissappointing goal giving in the lastm inutes will continue much longer.. i veyr much think the team will learn from this .. again this team is new, management is new.. but if corrections are not made soon enough my opinion may change

T-boy
Let's examine the dagger goal.

Robles hoofs the down the field. Luyindula wins the flick on against Agbossoumonde in the air (mental mistake #1). Balls goes to Ashtone Morgan who kindly decides to give the ball back to Luyindula (mistake #2) who passes to Henry who losses his marker Agbossoumonde (mistake #3) for a cross to Tim Cahill who wants the ball more to head in, posterizing Ashtone Morgan in the process. (mistake #4)

how the heck is this sequence a talent problem? if you want to win bad enough, Boss would not have lost the battle in the air vs Luyindula (who is a bit of stud) when he could see the ball coming his way. Don't even get me started on Morgan looking like an idiot vs Cahill.

It's not a talent issue, its a lack of experience issue for both players really. This is where Califf might be a better short term solution at CB than Boss. I think Boss is going to be an excellent CB, but he needs more time. Morgan is disappointing this season so far, but again, he's young and a more experienced CB wouldn't let Cahill jump ahead of him and embarrass him in the air like that. Morgan should also have belted that ball into Row Z instead of passing back to the Bulls. This is all a lack of experience from those players.

T-boy
04-28-2013, 11:47 AM
I don't think we should get distracted by the winning goal - TFC played badly all game. They wouldn't have deserved a point, in my opinion. We can evaluate one gal all we like, but that doesn't deflect from the poor performance the rest of the game.

Yohan
04-28-2013, 11:49 AM
I don't think we should get distracted by the winning goal - TFC played badly all game. They wouldn't have deserved a point, in my opinion. We can evaluate one gal all we like, but that doesn't deflect from the poor performance the rest of the game.
loved how TFC defence did their impression of a traffic cone while NY offence slalomed through the box

fuck sakes. Richter made Roy Miller look like Roberto Carlos on Cahill's 1st goal and Roy Miller SUCKS

ag futbol
04-28-2013, 11:54 AM
This doesn't exclude the mentality issue though. You don't think Morgan was feeling the pressure of trying to avoid another late goal when he flubbed his clearance? O'Dea was so scared to hand Houston possession with a throw that he accidentally gave them a corner, and you can't say he lacks talent. That was 100% a mental thing. He didn't have enough confidence in his team to defend a throw in. That's crazy.
Watch Ashton Morgan try to volley just about any ball in the air, he lashes at it and his technique is absolutely terrible.

T-boy
04-28-2013, 11:54 AM
loved how TFC defence did their impression of a traffic cone while NY offence slalomed through the box

fuck sakes. Richter made Roy Miller look like Roberto Carlos on Cahill's 1st goal and Roy Miller SUCKS

True. I like Richter, but he actually appeared to almost jump out of the way of Miller, giving him a free run into the box. Richter just needed to stand still and either draw the foul or he would have got the ball. Either would have been better than what he did!