PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Payne IS holding up his end of the deal. Let's hold up ours.

Abou Sky
04-22-2013, 09:11 PM
Ok, I know that a lot of people feel like they have been waiting for 7 years BUT, Kevin Payne truly took over the team in a WORSE spot than if it were an expansion club. We were stuck with contracts and when bringing in players we don't get to say 'come to our shiny new club' we have to say 'I know it was a steaming pile of shit, but all the terrible stuff you heard has been sorted out and it is a better place to play now. As for fans, ya, they are a bit nutty but they may love you'

This is NO easy task.

I thought I would mention a few older articles:

http://www.torontofc.ca/blog/post/2013/03/01/one-one-kevin-payne

One-On-One With Kevin Payne
Of Note:

MU: How will you shore up the team’s ability to defend?
KP: That’s where how most of the work has been done up to this point. I have a theory you have to earn the right to play good soccer. Defending is a mentality. It’s mostly about discipline and courage and mentality. That’s what we need to instill first.
MU: Is Ryan Nelsen’s background as a defender central to that?
KP: Nellie is not necessarily obsessed with a system but he is very devoted to several principles. A key one is having our players understand how they can be in control of a situation even though the situation may not be to our advantage.
MU: Explain that.
KP: He’s trying to get our players to understand how to support one another, how to delay plays. He’s trying to control what’s happening on the field even though we don’t have the ball. That was something Ryan was very good at as a defender.
MU: What are your expectations?
KP: My expectations are we will be a far more competitive team, individually and collectively. We will be far more disciplined, individually and collectively. I think we’ll l be a harder team to play, that we will give up far fewer goals and we will become a team that’s particularly hard to play against at BMO Field.
MU: Are you confident of adding more firepower as the season progresses?
KP: We will add more talent. There are a couple of players we are looking at for the summer. They are very important players on their teams so we can’t get them until then. We’re willing to wait. There are some advantages to that since they will come at a lower cap rate.
MU: Will these players be big names?
KP: One player in particular is a player we want to build around for three or four years. We’re going to spend a lot of time on due diligence over the next couple of months.

Another:

http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/tfc/2012/11/28/new_toronto_fc_boss_kevin_payne_loves_to_build_thi ngs.html

He’s looking to take the side that had its worst season yet in 2012 and finished dead last in Major League Soccer and turn it into a potential playoff team in 2013, a “realistic competitor” to win the East in 2014 and “one of the top teams” in the league by 2015.

I know 1 point per game is not going to get us there, but if you look at our MLS schedule through the end of June, things look a lot better. We have some road trips, but not terrible ones.

Colorado: Not exactly a fortress there, at home they are 1-1-2
San Jose: 2-2-1 at home, again not a fortress and they haven't looked GREAT as of late.
Home vs. Columbus, if they have their squad pretty fit this will be a hard game.
Away away vs. NE Revs, 'nuff said, let's not go in too confident.
Home vs. Philly **You had all better be ready to get stupid rowdy!**

April is near over, and I figure by end of May we could be looking at 5 games and 10 points which although isn't putting us at top of the East, it would help a whole lot.

Anyway, if we are still talking about how many points we need to make it into playoffs in September I hope people are happy.

tiberius
04-22-2013, 09:22 PM
"Let's hold up ours."

Payne and Nelsen are doing a fine job so far... I guess I am missing something in your message... the supporters have shown up (in spades) - not trying to be difficult, but what are you looking for?

Pint
04-22-2013, 09:24 PM
I'm guessing he wants more from the supporters groups. louder, more intimidating etc

Abou Sky
04-22-2013, 09:25 PM
"Let's hold up ours."

Payne and Nelsen are doing a fine job so far... I guess I am missing something in your message... the supporters have shown up - what are you after here?

I mean...

LET'S GET LOUD!!!!!

:flare::scarf::drum:

dupont
04-22-2013, 09:56 PM
I've been very impressed so far this year. After last year, the difference has been amazing. It's a shame about giving up all those late goals, but TFC looks competitive like they could win any game. I never thought that last season.

prizby
04-22-2013, 11:13 PM
the supporters have shown up (in spades)

have you looked over at u-sector ever?
have you used your ears around you?

I learn more about people's lives and what they are doing on Sunday in a supporter's section than I could read in a gossip magazine

Yagbod
04-22-2013, 11:23 PM
^That last bit is comedy gold.

Some sections are picking up though.

OgtheDim
04-23-2013, 06:32 AM
I was at the Blue Jays game on Sunday. Comparisons to a TFC crowd are intriguing.

The crowd's average age was about 7 years younger then a TFC crowd, and about 40% female.
The amount of actual discussion of the game in front of us was limited. I heard many things I really didn't think the 2 year old behind me should be hearing.
And don't get me started on the various attempts to get the wave started when both the Yankees and the Jays had the bases loaded.

Frankly, when it comes to people talking about stuff other then the game, I think its just a product of people needing to talk.

And, I'm not exactly sure that singing "Smoke weed all day" is any better then doing the wave when it comes to not really watching the game. Its funny but....kinda not really involved.

mook-life
04-23-2013, 06:35 AM
^^lmao well it was 420

backbeat
04-23-2013, 06:37 AM
the thing i notice is that we used to show up 20 minutes BEFORE the game started not 20 minutes after the game started and we used to loudly call out the players names when the intros were being done and they used to turn down the national anthem becuase the crowd was singing so loud....those were the days my friend i thought they'd never end...

Globetrotter
04-23-2013, 08:11 AM
Wasn't it KP that said he wouldn't be bringing in mid 30 year old players, that he wanted a good team?

Cough. Cesar.
Cough. Discussions of Davis.

And while I still have this, cough cough cough, cold... don't we have 7 points and given up 6 due to blowing late leads? cough.

TFC does not stand for Toronto Football Charity.

Cough. Sneeze.

It's still April, we don't need to show anything towards KP other than a raised eyebrow of suspicion that this year is eerily similar to seasons past.

TOBOR !
04-23-2013, 08:50 AM
I've no doubt that Payne knows what he's doing and I also have no doubt that eventually we'll arrive at respectability.

I just care a lot less now than I have in previous years.

Oldtimer
04-23-2013, 08:53 AM
Wasn't it KP that said he wouldn't be bringing in mid 30 year old players, that he wanted a good team?

Reference please? I don't actually remember him saying that at all.

What I remember him saying is that his preference for DPs was to use the "young DP" rule as the best value for the long term. However, he never said that he wouldn't use older players, or even absolutely rule out older DPs (in fact he would have kept Frings if he was healthy). I get that you're feeling negative about the team because they haven't instantly started winning most of their games, but this year was going to be a write-off no matter what. Just being "in the conversation" about the playoffs is what he promised for this year, and so far that's true. He never promised playoffs, and I never expected them.

jabbronies
04-23-2013, 10:03 AM

What I remember him saying is that his preference for DPs was to use the "young DP" rule as the best value for the long term. However, he never said that he wouldn't use older players, or even absolutely rule out older DPs (in fact he would have kept Frings if he was healthy). I get that you're feeling negative about the team because they haven't instantly started winning most of their games, but this year was going to be a write-off no matter what. Just being "in the conversation" about the playoffs is what he promised for this year, and so far that's true. He never promised playoffs, and I never expected them.

http://www.canada.com/sports/soccer/Toronto+boss+questions+players+fitness+says+future s+will+reviewed/7900337/story.html

A player signing is expected possibly this week, with three bigger deals coming down the pipeline, according to Payne. The focus is on young, energetic attacking players, with an eye to the Central and South American markets.

“We’re not interested in 33-year-old halfway-over-the hill EPL (English Premier League) players,” Payne said.

Oldtimer
04-23-2013, 10:13 AM
http://www.canada.com/sports/soccer/Toronto+boss+questions+players+fitness+says+future s+will+reviewed/7900337/story.html

Thanks. Interesting, though that he was specific about not wanting older EPL players... due to cost, perhaps?
If he does get one, would that mean Anselmi is meddling again for commercial reasons? That would be very disturbing.

TFC07
04-23-2013, 10:13 AM
I was at the Blue Jays game on Sunday. Comparisons to a TFC crowd are intriguing.

The crowd's average age was about 7 years younger then a TFC crowd, and about 40% female.
The amount of actual discussion of the game in front of us was limited. I heard many things I really didn't think the 2 year old behind me should be hearing.
And don't get me started on the various attempts to get the wave started when both the Yankees and the Jays had the bases loaded.

Frankly, when it comes to people talking about stuff other then the game, I think its just a product of people needing to talk.

And, I'm not exactly sure that singing "Smoke weed all day" is any better then doing the wave when it comes to not really watching the game. Its funny but....kinda not really involved.I was at Blue Jays game recently as well and I totally agree with bolded part. To be honest, I had more fun at Jays game than I have at a TFC game so far this year.

Phil
04-23-2013, 10:23 AM
Thanks. Interesting, though that he was specific about not wanting older EPL players... due to cost, perhaps?
If he does get one, would that mean Anselmi is meddling again for commercial reasons? That would be very disturbing.

I think its because the deals fizzed on the younger players they were after and are looking to leverage whatever they can upfront with a rapidly closing window.

ManUtd4ever
04-23-2013, 10:41 AM
Payne and Nelsen have absolutely done their part in my opinion.

It's a real shame that TFC has continued to routinely concede goals in stoppage time, but the fact remains that we have been in the position to win or draw in every single game thus far, which is well beyond what my expectations were for this stage of the season.

If you eliminate those gaffes, our record would be 4-2-1, we would be tied for 2nd place in the Eastern Conference, and TFC would be the feel good story in MLS so far this season.

As for the support at BMO Field, it has been better this season, but it's still a far cry from the first few years. It will take a perennial playoff team to bring back the old atmosphere.

brad
04-23-2013, 10:55 AM
I like what I see, but as I say everywhere, I am waiting for the dust to settle on the summer transfer window + a month or two to let new players settle before I really say.

I really want to see if there is evidence of a plan for the summer that improves our team, or if they scramble in the summer window like TFC normally does,

Abou Sky
04-23-2013, 11:06 AM
Just want to note that I am not hating on anyone for 'not supporting well enough'

I just figure that if ANYONE is going to get stuff going again, it is the people who are on these forums every day.

Fuck Portland, when people say TFC I want people to think 'they may suck, but their supporters are fucking awesome!'

Now pass that motherfucking Kool Aid!

Yohan
04-23-2013, 01:10 PM
Now pass that motherfucking Kool Aid!
awesome quote

C.Ronaldo
04-23-2013, 01:38 PM
we need a character on our team that the fans can connect with...like dero and dichio. Or how like how Kawasaki is blowing up with the Jays.
THere isnt anyones name right now that I would put on my Jersey.

Abou Sky
04-23-2013, 02:08 PM
we need a character on our team that the fans can connect with...like dero and dichio. Or how like how Kawasaki is blowing up with the Jays.
THere isnt anyones name right now that I would put on my Jersey.

If THAT is your biggest complaint, things are pretty good :)

TOBOR !
04-23-2013, 02:53 PM

It's a real shame that TFC has continued to routinely concede goals in stoppage time...

7-0lV5qs1Qw

Ah we're drinking and we're dancing
and the crowd is really happening
and the BMO Field wisdom's running high
And my very sweet companion
she's the Angel of Compassion
she's praying with her face turned to the sky
And every singer every dancer
joins in to lend their power
the capo leads us, something so sublime
all the women raise their voices now
and the men they chant in the swaying crowd
and it's despair found, the game is lost
it's hell to pay when three points drop:
in STOPPAGE TIME

prizby
04-23-2013, 04:48 PM

And, I'm not exactly sure that singing "Smoke weed all day" is any better then doing the wave when it comes to not really watching the game. Its funny but....kinda not really involved.

Here is what happens at Jays games: Go to Blue Jays games to get kicked out by your opponents security: http://www.sporttonetwork.com/hired-goons-how-the-yankees-keep-the-home-fans-quiet/

TFC07
04-23-2013, 05:17 PM
Here is what happens at Jays games: Go to Blue Jays games to get kicked out by your opponents security: http://www.sporttonetwork.com/hired-goons-how-the-yankees-keep-the-home-fans-quiet/
Interesting read. I was at Friday's Jays-Yankees game sitting outfield section. Everyone in my section were jeering at Vernon Wells all game along. There was no issues with security at all.

glaze
04-23-2013, 06:07 PM
there's always a fine line between good heckling and being an idiot.
you have to know your surroundings, I think the Jays should designate the outfield as a type of supporters section, back in the day people knew the bleachers were wild, as they are in wrigley or yankee stadium, etc.
But when you try to mix families, with seniors, with drunken kids, youre going to have issues.
as for TFC, a few wins and some sunshine will get things back on track at BMO.

JayMolly
04-23-2013, 06:54 PM

It's a real shame that TFC has continued to routinely concede goals in stoppage time, but the fact remains that we have been in the position to win or draw in every single game thus far, which is well beyond what my expectations were for this stage of the season.

If you eliminate those gaffes, our record would be 4-2-1, we would be tied for 2nd place in the Eastern Conference, and TFC would be the feel good story in MLS so far this season.

I hear you "ManU".
Those late goals in stoppage time have been Payneful for Kevin, Ryan, the players and TFC supporters!
We are still optimistic however.

ManUtd4ever
04-23-2013, 07:26 PM
7-0lV5qs1Qw

Ah we're drinking and we're dancing
and the crowd is really happening
and the BMO Field wisdom's running high
And my very sweet companion
she's the Angel of Compassion
she's praying with her face turned to the sky
And every singer every dancer
joins in to lend their power
the capo leads us, something so sublime
all the women raise their voices now
and the men they chant in the swaying crowd
and it's despair found, the game is lost
it's hell to pay when three points drop:
in STOPPAGE TIME

Well done, LOL.

Abou Sky
04-23-2013, 08:20 PM

I once almost got kicked out of a leafs game for calling Chara a douche, I think if I wasn't with my then 7 year old son I would have been kicked out. He is like a portable force field :-D

ryan
04-24-2013, 12:22 PM

While I don't agree with the opposing team being able to do it, you throw beers at the BP, you should be booted (for throwing beer!)

Globetrotter
05-10-2013, 08:47 AM

Cough. Cesar.
Cough. Discussions of Davis.

And while I still have this, cough cough cough, cold... don't we have 7 points and given up 6 due to blowing late leads? cough.

TFC does not stand for Toronto Football Charity.

Cough. Sneeze.

It's still April, we don't need to show anything towards KP other than a raised eyebrow of suspicion that this year is eerily similar to seasons past.

I don't typically respond to people who require references when I speak, but since it sprung out at me this morning, here you are...

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/opinion/2013/05/toronto-fcs-message-not-matching-its-actions.html

"We're not interested in 33-year-old halfway-over-the hill EPL [English Premier League] players," Payne said in January when asked of their intentions for future signings.

Canary10
05-10-2013, 08:53 AM
I don't typically respond to people who require references when I speak, but since it sprung out at me this morning, here you are...

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/opinion/2013/05/toronto-fcs-message-not-matching-its-actions.html

"We're not interested in 33-year-old halfway-over-the hill EPL [English Premier League] players," Payne said in January when asked of their intentions for future signings.

My understanding of this was in reference to DPs. At that point the Lampard to LA rumour was being discussed. I don't think he was referring to signing former EPL players on regular contracts at MLS wages.

Oldtimer
05-10-2013, 11:31 AM
My understanding of this was in reference to DPs. At that point the Lampard to LA rumour was being discussed. I don't think he was referring to signing former EPL players on regular contracts at MLS wages.

My understanding, as well. It's all in the context.

QBall
05-14-2013, 04:29 PM

The cheapest ticket if you want to to see TFC vs Crew on Saturday is $37.75 (before fees) in the supporters section, $49.75 if you want to be in a section where you can sit. You can buy a ticket for tomorrow's Jays game against San Fran for $10 (before fees). It's 500 section of course, but at least a family can afford to go to a Jay's game. This helps attract young people to the team as fans and would increase the number of ladies going to the games since they are going with their families.
As for the language in the stands, well that's life I suppose.

Abou Sky
05-14-2013, 04:47 PM
The cheapest ticket if you want to to see TFC vs Crew on Saturday is $37.75 (before fees) in the supporters section, $49.75 if you want to be in a section where you can sit. You can buy a ticket for tomorrow's Jays game against San Fran for $10 (before fees). It's 500 section of course, but at least a family can afford to go to a Jay's game. This helps attract young people to the team as fans and would increase the number of ladies going to the games since they are going with their families.
As for the language in the stands, well that's life I suppose.

You can get tix in 200s (family section or regular) for $29, I believe no fees at the gate.)

I think they need to do top 10 rows of 200s for family deals, $100 for 4 tix, 4 drinks, 4 dogs/popcorn

Hell, I would love to see them at $50 for that deal, drinks/dogs/popcorn cost near nothing (less than $2 for 4 popcorn + 4 drinks) so they either get nothing or they get $48 for 4 seats.

No brainer...

Don't even sell those as seasons so nobody gets pissed off.

Yagbod
05-14-2013, 10:54 PM
$37.75 in a supporters section?!? I thought they were all held by season ticket holders paying about $20 buck per? Mine are like $190 or something for the season.

Abou Sky
05-14-2013, 11:05 PM
$37.75 in a supporters section?!? I thought they were all held by season ticket holders paying about $20 buck per? Mine are like $190 or something for the season.

Um, 17 mls games + v-cup x2 = 19 or $10/game

brad
05-15-2013, 07:33 AM

My understanding, as well. It's all in the context.

A bit late on this one - but better late than never :o

My interpretation was that it was more about the "over the hill part" than the 33 year old part. There are a lot of players that contributed at the peak of football at the age of 33 and older. Bergkamp, Giggs, Scholes, Shearingham, Shearer. If you look outside the EPL add guys like Nesta, Maldini, Inzaghi. Simply saying no to a player of quality that still has legs due to age seems silly to me. Saying no based on age + a decline in ability or being more injury prone sure, but just age - no.