PDA

View Full Version : Lake shore go trains to start running every 30 mins!!!!

deltox
04-19-2013, 09:55 AM
http://www.cp24.com/news/go-transit-to-increase-trains-on-lakeshore-lines-1.1245115#ixzz2QvAqwGMm

TORONTO -- GO Transit is increasing the frequency of train service along its Lakeshore lines to every half hour from once an hour.
Starting June 29, GO Trains that currently run hourly between Aldershot and Oshawa will run every 30 minutes, seven days a week.
Transportation Minister Glen Murray says the change will add 263 new train trips in total each week along the heavily used line.
GO carries about 200,000 passengers each weekday and has the fifth highest commuter train ridership in North America.

Read more: http://www.cp24.com/news/go-transit-to-increase-trains-on-lakeshore-lines-1.1245115#ixzz2QvBMGXgN

CBTFC
04-19-2013, 10:12 AM
Yeah, just heard this on CBC radio news.

I take the go train between union and clarkson for work, and I've been saying for YEARS that they need to increase the frequency to at least every half hour. Can't count the amount of times I've missed the train by seconds/minutes, only to have to wait another full hour.

Next up should be round the clock service, mainly on friday/saturday nights.

Derko
04-19-2013, 10:16 AM
It's about time GO Transit got out of the Stone Age, now we just need that Airlink line from Pearson Airport to Union, then we have stepped up to 1950's UK and European Standards as far as service goes.
Reall though, it is great to here, the increase in service, will make game day commute so much more desirable.:drinking:

Yohan
04-19-2013, 10:19 AM
And maybe more people come early enough for games or leave when the game actually finishes :p

rowjimi
04-19-2013, 10:20 AM
That is awesome. Now if I want come earlier or stay later it is my choice. :)

Blizzard
04-19-2013, 10:54 AM
That is awesome. Now if I want come earlier or stay later it is my choice. :)

.... on or after June 29th anyway. I hope nobody misses that rather important point.

Eastend
04-19-2013, 10:57 AM
That's great news. Now to bring the ride cost down.

Dom.

ArmenJBX
04-19-2013, 10:58 AM
I commute every single day from Pickering to Union to go to school. That, plus TFC games on weekends or Wednesdays.

This is literally the best news I have heard all month and something I've been wishing for for two years now.

:D

Oldtimer
04-19-2013, 11:42 AM
And maybe more people come early enough for games or leave when the game actually finishes :p

Hopefully, with the cost of missing a train not so high, people will be cheering through 90+ minutes and we'll see less late-game losses.

Alonso
04-19-2013, 12:00 PM
I can't count how many times my friend has left early to catch the train.... I see tons of other people doing this as well.

This will hopefully keep more people for the whole game.

Now when can we build a proper subway system.... is that next?

ag futbol
04-19-2013, 12:42 PM
It's about time GO Transit got out of the Stone Age, now we just need that Airlink line from Pearson Airport to Union, then we have stepped up to 1950's UK and European Standards as far as service goes.
Reall though, it is great to here, the increase in service, will make game day commute so much more desirable.:drinking:
Agreed, so much to do!

Next up: how about not giving right of way to stupid cargo trains and actually working on a high speed network? We could be saving people hours off their commute times each day

TFC07
04-19-2013, 12:48 PM
Great news. Hopefully GO transit decide to run Georgetown/Kitchener trains all day instead of rush hour only.

Joe Kool
04-19-2013, 01:13 PM
I may actually start taking the GO to all sporting events now once this starts. Dealing with the hourly schedule has always stopped me in the past and I always drive. This is great news and much needed in such a big city to keep things connected in a more convenient way. Add that to the bigger parking lots they are building out in Ajax and Pickering and I bet I will be taking the GO lots more to get downtown.

pdogg
04-19-2013, 01:34 PM
It would be great to get increased service for the other lines too. Many of the other lines only have bus service - for instance, the Georgetown (Brampton) line runs a bus every 30 minutes, but out of Union Station. Last weekend it took 45 minutes to get from the stadium to Union because of the street cars being down. I don't know how much this will increase the amount of people taking the train and not driving - most of the drivers were from the other areas around the city.

On a semi-related note - I've seen a bus filled with TFC supporters barreling down the 410 after the game and heard rumours that one of the bars up by Bramalea City Centre provides this. Anyone have an inide track on that?

notthesun
04-19-2013, 01:36 PM
This is fantastic news.

Red CB Toronto
04-19-2013, 02:12 PM
I happy to see this, hopefully it will keep people in the stadium for the full 90.

nfitz
04-19-2013, 02:31 PM
I happy to see this, hopefully it will keep people in the stadium for the full 90.I seldom slip out early, but on the occasions that it does, this will make a huge difference to that, so that I'll no longer ever do it!

I'm thrilled! Typically if I just miss the train heading east (to Danforth) after the game, the best I can do by TTC is arrive home 10-15 minutes before the next GO Train would have gotten me there. Now it will simply be faster to wait for the next GO Train. And a lot more convenient if I bring the little ones. Lingering at the end of the game, chatting to a few people, hitting the washrooms ... and after a lazy walk up to the station, it will only be a 10-minute wait for a train!

Plus, it will really help in my other travels as well! Best news out of GO for a long, long time.

The Professor
04-19-2013, 02:52 PM
Excellent! Nowthere'll be first- AND second-half chances to beat the traffic home!! And, if you want to show up for only the second half - now you have more options!!! :p

nfitz
04-19-2013, 02:58 PM
Excellent! Nowthere'll be first- AND second-half chances to beat the traffic home!! And, if you want to show up for only the second half - now you have more options!!! :pLOL! Though I wouldn't actually underrate the ability to leave quickly once a child start to vomit ...

Brooker
04-19-2013, 03:40 PM
Amazing! Finalllllllllllllllllly!

Cashcleaner
04-19-2013, 04:10 PM
There is absolutely no down side to this news. It's actually quite unbelievable that it took this long for the Lakeshore Line to go to a 30 minute frequency.

ArmenJBX
04-19-2013, 04:12 PM
I wonder if the prices will go up?

deltox
04-19-2013, 05:35 PM
prices always go up....unless Go Transit misses the playoffs 6 yrs in a row.

Dave67
04-19-2013, 05:52 PM
Great news and about time.

smtavare
04-19-2013, 08:03 PM
prices always go up....unless Go Transit misses the playoffs 6 yrs in a row.:facepalm:

Its all about supply and demand hahahaha g:D

Heart of Stone
04-20-2013, 12:08 PM
But why is the train leaving Danforth at 3:17pm instead of 3:27pm... arriving at Exhibition at the same time as usual 3:49pm... I guess we sit at Union for 10 minutes... this will cut into my pre-drink time at home by 10 minutes... I guess I could try drinking on the train...

nfitz
04-20-2013, 12:39 PM
But why is the train leaving Danforth at 3:17pm instead of 3:27pm... arriving at Exhibition at the same time as usual 3:49pm... I guess we sit at Union for 10 minutes... this will cut into my pre-drink time at home by 10 minutes... I guess I could try drinking on the train...Today? Schedule says it departs Danforth at 3:27 on Saturdays. (http://www.gotransit.com/publicroot/en/PDF/Timetables/CurrentBoard/Table09.pdf) I think you are looking at the current weekday schedule not the weekend schedule. Where it does leave at 3:17 ... and has for years. And no, that doesn't make any sense ... and it caught me up once when I arrived at the station at 3:20 for the 3:27. Hopefully the new schedule for late-June will finally fix this - or at least add 2:57 and 3:57 trains.

Heart of Stone
04-20-2013, 12:44 PM
Today? Schedule says it departs Danforth at 3:27 on Saturdays. (http://www.gotransit.com/publicroot/en/PDF/Timetables/CurrentBoard/Table09.pdf) I think you are looking at the current weekday schedule not the weekend schedule. Where it does leave at 3:17 ... and has for years. And no, that doesn't make any sense ... and it caught me up once when I arrived at the station at 3:20 for the 3:27. Hopefully the new schedule for late-June will finally fix this - or at least add 2:57 and 3:57 trains.

Thanks for the heads-up... don`t want to stand around on that platform any longer than necessary today.

Redcoe15
04-20-2013, 03:29 PM
Wish they had it up and running when I'm in town the 18th of May to take in the match against the Columbus Pisstains!

Brooker
04-20-2013, 05:27 PM
prices always go up....unless Go Transit misses the playoffs 6 yrs in a row.

Bah. Surely there's some sort of ceiling? It's already fucking expensive.

Redcoe15
04-20-2013, 05:40 PM
Bah. Surely there's some sort of ceiling? It's already fucking expensive.
Last couple of times I took the GO Train to BMO Field, I didn't have to pay anything. :hide:

Brooker
04-20-2013, 05:46 PM
Last couple of times I took the GO Train to BMO Field, I didn't have to pay anything. :hide:

Behold, what demonry is this?

Wish I could go back to the days of having a clean go train slate.

nfitz
04-20-2013, 05:46 PM
Last couple of times I took the GO Train to BMO Field, I didn't have to pay anything. :hide:Be careful. There's been some Saturday games, I've had my fare checked both heading to, and coming home from the game!

C.Ronaldo
04-22-2013, 08:48 AM
Finally I no longer have to plan my day around the train.

as an aside, in Japan if you havent paid. They simply give you the option of paying on the spot. The way they see it, no one would lose "honour" by skipping out on a fare.
They also dont wake you if you are sleeping, they simply take note and come back later. Now if only TFC could get our own Kawaski.

Brooker
04-22-2013, 09:25 AM
My one big gripe with Go is when they have 1 or 2 people selling tickets and lineups out the door of the station. (Speaking of which, a cash only line would be awesome.) Not to mention when the ticket booths aren't even open and you have to use credit/debit. Only got cash? Sorry, nope! Insanity.

This won't fix those problem but it will certainly make them less of a big deal.... but still annoying as fuck.

nfitz
04-22-2013, 09:37 AM
My one big gripe with Go is when they have 1 or 2 people selling tickets and lineups out the door of the station. (Speaking of which, a cash only line would be awesome.) Not to mention when the ticket booths aren't even open and you have to use credit/debit. Only got cash? Sorry, nope! Insanity.

This won't fix those problem but it will certainly make them less of a big deal.... but still annoying as fuck.Get a Presto card. Set it up so it automatically reloads. Never worry about having to buy a fare again. Also, it's cheaper than buying tickets on the spot.

Brooker
04-22-2013, 12:44 PM
Get a Presto card. Set it up so it automatically reloads. Never worry about having to buy a fare again. Also, it's cheaper than buying tickets on the spot.

Yeah I always forget about that. I just saw you can load them online. That's awesome. Cheers.

james
04-24-2013, 11:51 AM
YEAHHHH Finalllyyyyyyyyyyy!!!

Took long enough, I mean really the train should be more like every 15-20mins and every 10mins in rush hours but hey this is a good start to improvement, the 1 train an hour is horrific, I think they do trains from Liverpool to London a few times and hour and that is a hell of a lot further.

Now lets just see what other Transit improvements we need to make us go from 1930's standard to 2013:
1) Add many more subway lines that link all corners of the city together as one
2) Suburbs and Toronto need to add more Go train routes that link up with other Go train lines (Not every person needs to get to and from Union station)
3) Need new Hamilton station built, should have had Hamilton to Toronto train line built back in 1900.
4) Current Union is nice looking on the outside but ugly on the inside and to small, needs to be rebuilt (Now on its way under-construction finally)
5) Train line to get to Airport (currently under-constuction, however other subway links to Airport will also be needed in near future, once a again not every person needs to get to and from Union Station to the Airport, Union to Airport will be a very long journey from those in the City not in the downtown core and for those in the West and North End Suburbs who will actually have to back track to get to the airport by train.

oh this makes me sad seeing how far behind we still are...oh well trains every 30 mins YEAAAAHHHH!!! g:D

Gilberto9
04-24-2013, 06:25 PM
Getting to BMO from Hamilton will be so much more relaxing now, the only other improvement I ask for is a train from Hamilton GO to Union

nfitz
04-25-2013, 06:47 AM
Getting to BMO from Hamilton will be so much more relaxing now, the only other improvement I ask for is a train from Hamilton GO to UnionGO is supposed to start construction on the new GO station in Hamilton on James St N very soon, just north of Barton (right next to Liuna Station - which is the old CN station). The current Hamilton GO Centre is near James St S and Hunter. They announced that there will be hourly service to the new station by 2015 (and eventually that will be extended to another new station at Centennial ... and later on towards Grimsby and St. Catharines). This was all a McGuinty promise; presumably Premier Wynne will keep it.

I'm not sure if there will be still the occasional train to the existing James/Hunter station or not after 2015.

Rudi
04-25-2013, 06:10 PM
YEAHHHH Finalllyyyyyyyyyyy!!!

Took long enough, I mean really the train should be more like every 15-20mins and every 10mins in rush hours but hey this is a good start to improvement, the 1 train an hour is horrific, I think they do trains from Liverpool to London a few times and hour and that is a hell of a lot further.
The trains do run fairly frequently during rush hour already. The every 30 minutes thing is for off peak times.

james
05-03-2013, 02:21 PM
The trains do run fairly frequently during rush hour already. The every 30 minutes thing is for off peak times.

ya i know they have rush hour extra service but that is only what 7am-9am and 5pm and 7pm, the rest of the day has been 1 train an hour. That is crazy should of had more service updated long, long time ago. No part of the day should be 1 train an hour. Random fact did you know that in the early 1900's there use to be an electric street car line that ran from Hamilton to Oakville once every hour. That kind of gives you an idea how outdated the system has been as the GO train may be much nicer today, more reliable and much faster (tho the GO Train is slow as hell in today's transit standards) but they still had rail service even back in the early 1900's, 100 years later you would think we would of changed a hell of a lot with technology but only now are we finally making big improvements.

TFC07
05-03-2013, 02:28 PM
It would be great to get increased service for the other lines too. Many of the other lines only have bus service - for instance, the Georgetown (Brampton) line runs a bus every 30 minutes, but out of Union Station. Last weekend it took 45 minutes to get from the stadium to Union because of the street cars being down. I don't know how much this will increase the amount of people taking the train and not driving - most of the drivers were from the other areas around the city.

On a semi-related note - I've seen a bus filled with TFC supporters barreling down the 410 after the game and heard rumours that one of the bars up by Bramalea City Centre provides this. Anyone have an inide track on that?

Yeah, that is why I just transfer to GO Lakeshore train instead of taking TTC to go to BMO field now (transfer is free). I wish Bramalea City Centre had GO buses going to Union station.

nfitz
05-03-2013, 02:47 PM
Yeah, that is why I just transfer to GO Lakeshore train instead of taking TTC to go to BMO field now (transfer is free). I wish Bramalea City Centre had GO buses going to Union station.Transfer is free from GO buses/trains (because Exhibition station and Union station are in the same fare zone) - but if your using Presto you still need to tap on and off the train. Sometimes my journey starts near Union station, and then I have to pay the $4+ fare just to go to Exhibition.

TFC07
05-03-2013, 03:01 PM
Transfer is free from GO buses/trains (because Exhibition station and Union station are in the same fare zone) - but if your using Presto you still need to tap on and off the train. Sometimes my journey starts near Union station, and then I have to pay the $4+ fare just to go to Exhibition.

This is correct. I have a Presto card (the only good thing about transit in this region) and always tap on and off. That sucks for you paying 4.85 for such a short distance trip.

nfitz
05-03-2013, 03:15 PM
That sucks for you paying 4.85 for such a short distance trip.It does suck, especially as I have a TTC Metrocard. $4.43 with Presto.

But it doesn't suck as much as taking 45-minutes to get from Union to Exhibition, rather than just 6 minutes!

deltox
05-03-2013, 03:30 PM
maybe they should have a Bixi bike station at BMO. and TFC could offer free gameday bike rides between BMO and Union.

Yohan
05-03-2013, 03:48 PM
maybe they should have a Bixi bike station at BMO. and TFC could offer free gameday bike rides between BMO and Union.
drunk biking in downtown ftw!