PDA

View Full Version : Are Bostock's & Ephraim's days numbered?

MartinUtd
04-10-2013, 01:44 PM
After seeing Bostock's give away in midfield that lead to the 2nd Dallas goal I couldn't help but be reminded of why we shipped out Stevenovic. The guy just wants to run at defenders like suddenly the sea's will part in front of him.

With Uruti signed (and IIRC) he plays any forward position and with DK's recovery ahead of schedule, you have to think one of either Bostock or Ephraim is on the way out. You could add Lamb to the list but as far as cost effective depth goes, he's not so bad.

So where does that leave us?

Bostock - can play wing or attacking mid
Ephraim - ditto, although I've been less impressed, I get the impression he'd be a cheaper signing than Bostock and thus far shows a much better attidude
Lamb - not up to par but also on something like $60k, I can stomach that and still feel he has something to contribute

Uruti seems likely to be deployed as a striker or in the hole, there's far too much to speculate on given what type of formation Nelson goes with, but suffice to say he's here to replace somebody, and I don't think that somebody is Earnshaw.

And finally, we need to figure out how to get Silva on the pitch more often. This also lends credence to my theory that one of the Brit's is on their way out.

TFC_Allez
04-10-2013, 02:01 PM
I don't think either of them will be let go at this point. 5 games, at least in my opinion, isn't long enough to tell if a player has adjusted to MLS play or not. Maybe I'm wrong, but I just don't see it happening yet, if at all. I think we need to give them more time.

Lambe's had plenty of time and he's been absolutely invisible this season so far. I don't think he can adapt his game to the new style of play. In my opinion, he'll be dropped before the other 2 I think...but that's just my opinion. I've never really liked Lambe.

pekduck
04-10-2013, 02:06 PM
Bostock has more skills, quality but less effective compared to Ephraim.

I agree that he has the abilities to put on a show, but often, he has no right foot to send in a cross when on right side with opening. He has to switch back to left foot and by then, opening in the box for Earnshow is closed down. He then lose possession or have to back pass. That's not effective. He doesn't defend well and tried to ball hog it and causing turnovers.

Ephraim, despite not as tall, crafty as Bostock, is still effective and create more chances at left side of the field. He tracks back and will throw himself into defending.

If I have to pick one out of the two to bench when we have options available, it'll be Bostock even though he has more skills.

Both are on loan. So we don't have to extend/buy if they don't work out.

notthesun
04-10-2013, 02:19 PM
Lambe is safe for now because of our international slot situation. Once Koevermans is taken off the IR we need to free up a slot. Most likely options for accomplishing that are Payne trades for a slot, waives somebody (most likely T. Morgan), or we let someone's loan expire (most likely Ephraim or Russell).

We don't have enough wide midfielders to get rid of Lambe right now, especially if we let Ephraim go. We've signed Richter for depth so it's possible Russell goes, but I personally doubt it because he's been getting playing time and is versatile. Bostock, I'm assuming, is more versatile than Ephraim in that Ephraim has shown he can't really play CF with must effectiveness. And of course, this is all a moot point if Payne trades for a slot.

I think, between Bostock and Ephraim, the most likely to leave in the summer is Ephraim. But we're short in wide midfielders and there's lots of games to be played yet; I'm eager to see what Ephraim can do when he's played back on the left side of midfield.

Detroit_TFC
04-10-2013, 02:41 PM
Both of them were brought in for cover until the summer window. If they want to stay they have to convince RN and KP. They have another few weeks to make their case. That is an ideal situation IMO.

mcolvy
04-10-2013, 02:56 PM
Ephraim I dont see staying, and along with Earnshaw, will not be here next year (and since this is a rebuilding year: thats what im looking towards).

If the rumours players Urruti and Laba are coming in, then we could have many options to toy with. If we can imagine other rumours to come true, such as the addition of alexander lopez from honduras...( and maybe peralta if that deal happens this summer: but might not need him, as Laba sounds similar in nature.

Urruti
___ Lopez Bostock
(peralta) Laba

Thats pretty solid and we could fund this young core. I kind of wish we hadnt given away the first overall pick and we kept Farrell for rb, so we didnt have to pay eckersley his ridiculous salary after this year.

Technorgasm
04-10-2013, 03:17 PM
World Soccer mag, just had their MLS outline.
Toronto has BY FAR the smallest squad in the league. . .
by like. . 5 or 6 players.

we need warm bodies here, regardless of their performances. . . thats a FACT.

Is it a tough sell to convince someone to play for us?
like . WTF is going on?

we can be as critical as we want to be about our personnel. . . butwe need each and wevery one of them. .
with the recent spell of injuries?. . . . lord Jeebus help us!
help us all!!!

Red CB Toronto
04-10-2013, 03:21 PM
Alen was in fact recalled by Torino, so TFC had to give him back.

kodiakTFC
04-10-2013, 03:31 PM
I like Bostock so far, he's good with the ball on his feet so I want to see more. As for Ephraim, eh.. no opinion but that's not a good thing. I like Lambe as depth.

Jack
04-10-2013, 03:39 PM
like . WTF is going on?

Look at our track record as an organization.

Yohan
04-10-2013, 03:42 PM
and just to think in Jan Superdraft time, we were all shitting our pants thinking what sort of warm bodies will be starting for TFC. now we can afford to criticize Bostock and Ephraim. We would have killed to get technical players like this last year!

I like to give players about half season for them to get used to MLS and to give them opportunity to show what they can do. I don't think it's fair to nail a player as failure after 5 games. For Ephraim and Bostock, they are in a new country in an unfamiliar league.

Both of them have shown skills to be rated some of most technical players to play for TFC. I think they deserve a little more rope than people are willing to give them right now.

The player that really needs to step up is Reggie Lambe who had the time in the league, but can't seem to put it together yet.

Jack
04-10-2013, 03:44 PM
and just to think in Jan Superdraft time, we were all shitting our pants thinking what sort of warm bodies will be starting for TFC. now we can afford to criticize Bostock and Ephraim. We would have killed to get technical players like this last year!

I like to give players about half season for them to get used to MLS and to give them opportunity to show what they can do. I don't think it's fair to nail a player as failure after 5 games. For Ephraim and Bostock, they are in a new country in an unfamiliar league.

Both of them have shown skills to be rated some of most technical players to play for TFC. I think they deserve a little more rope than people are willing to give them right now.

The player that really needs to step up is Reggie Lambe who had the time in the league, but can't seem to put it together yet.
I agree with this post 100%.
Although I was ranting against Ephraim on Saturday g:D

Abou Sky
04-10-2013, 04:08 PM
Any time Ephraim is on the left, he looks good.

I still think Bostock is the best on the ball player in MLS, he frustrates me at times though when he seems to pout (WTF?) , I wonder how much of that is the 'wunderkind' thing he had and lost.

Still, I would not piss on either yet, except for specific things (like giving away the ball and pouting in midfield!)

spe18
04-10-2013, 04:53 PM
So were both Ephraim and Bostock on loans for a few months?

FluSH
04-10-2013, 04:53 PM
I like Bostock, he has shown some nifty moves here and there that tell me he has the talent... However as Abou said, some of the pouting has gotta stop... Those are important seconds wasted...

Ajax TFC
04-10-2013, 05:29 PM
We can start talking about who to release when we're actually short on space. As for right now, we have plenty of roster spots and two international slots. We need more depth on defense and quality at DM, but until we actually have some quality solutions lined up there, there's no point in releasing players who can actually contribute. Add that to the fact that we really don't have much in the way of wingers, releasing one of Bostock or Ephraim would just right away create another hole

Lumpy
04-10-2013, 06:01 PM
If those guys days are numbered it would be another case of TFC premature ejaculation. If we win Saturday and Columbus loses we are tied for 4th. We need to hold on a little longer before releasing any of our seed. Sometimes thinking of mother-in-laws helps a little.

Pint
04-10-2013, 08:23 PM
So were both Ephraim and Bostock on loans for a few months?

Both are loan deal but Bostocks deal has an option to keep him at the end of it... I believe payne said it was a club option but he wouldn't keep a player if he didn't want to be here.

Derko
04-10-2013, 08:39 PM
In the last 10 minutes Ephraim, back heel to Silva, good shot at goal, Ephraim high ball in to box from left side Braun scores goal#1, looks OK to me, Bostock, yes give away for second dallas goal, but as others have said has plenty of skill and speed, can do away with the pouts of course, lets wait until the loans are almost up to start talking about numbered days. Yes, here come the Argies, but let's not unload players prematurely, I would rather not. Just my thoughts.

Thomas
04-10-2013, 09:21 PM
Exactly what my thoughts are at this point in the season.

ensco
04-10-2013, 09:36 PM
How about we have a look at these rumoured new players before starting threads about cutting existing squad members in their favour? At least, how about we sign them first?

andyc
04-10-2013, 10:28 PM
Without 3 DP's and having cleaned house somewhat salary wise, maybe it would be nice to see what depth in a squad looks like... If we can afford this level of depth it might just mean that the season won't go off the rails if a player gets injured....

Here's hoping anyways!

T-boy
04-10-2013, 10:36 PM
I think some are assuming that the Argentinians will just take to the MLS like duck to water, but I doubt that will be the case. They are going to need quite a few games to get into the MLS style of play. We are going to need Bostock and Ephraim all this season in my opinion.

Cashcleaner
04-11-2013, 01:10 AM
like . WTF is going on?

Look at our track record as an organization.

You said it, Jack. Payne and Nelsen are in the unenviable position of having to convince potential new signings to disregard the last six years of mismanagement and adversarial relationships between the club and players. It's going to take us more than a season to instill a good level confidence into anyone we approach with a contract.

I think some are assuming that the Argentinians will just take to the MLS like duck to water, but I doubt that will be the case. They are going to need quite a few games to get into the MLS style of play. We are going to need Bostock and Ephraim all this season in my opinion.

I'm of the same mind. There is going to be a period of adjustment for these guys and Payne doesn't strike me a guy who will rush these things along. Like others have said, we're only 5 games into the season so we're not really able to make an accurate assessment of their performances just yet.

boozilla
04-11-2013, 02:24 AM
Both have been solid additions. Bostock can dribble and Ephraim has shown Schweinsteiger-like calm vision. I trust Nelsen can make it gel.

Derko
04-11-2013, 05:07 AM
How about we have a look at these rumoured new players before starting threads about cutting existing squad members in their favour? At least, how about we sign them first?

Thank-you

Still Kicking
04-11-2013, 05:23 AM
Agree that both have been solid additions. It is an odd view that signings to TFC should always hit the ground running and not be given time to adjust to new surroundings.

I think it is fair to think of Bostock as being on loan and therefore on trial with TFC.

I anticipate that QPR, facing relegation, will probably want Hogan Ephraim back. They will need to cut many players with bigger contracts to adjust to the drop to the Championship. So Toronto is helping out by giving playing time to a member of QPR's future.