PDA

View Full Version : The Darren O'Dea thread

PopePouri
04-10-2013, 11:10 AM
I haven't seen many comments that give him props but he's probably my favourite TFC player. I don't think he's done much wrong this season at CB and he's lead the backline well. He's on a big contract but I'm starting to think he's warrants it given his ability, leadership qualities and age.

Plus he's got a cute kid:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BE9U-evCIAAy6ii.jpg

MartinUtd
04-10-2013, 11:16 AM
Great thread! I couldn't agree more. To have a stable CB pairing like O'Dea and Califf is a dream come true, not to mention The Boss being the 3rd man. O'Dea is going to have a great impact on our youngsters and from what I can tell he's been a great pick for the armband.

T-boy
04-10-2013, 12:41 PM
Darren has had a great start to the season, totally agreed.

Derko
04-10-2013, 12:44 PM
Darren has played very well, and been a leader on and off the field, Rock-on Darren

Mr. Bigby
04-10-2013, 02:34 PM
An early contender (along with Earnie, of course), for RPB Player of the year.

prizby
04-10-2013, 02:38 PM
Darren's leadership is exceptional; he fueled the charge in the last 10 minutes and although he didn't score, he led by example; his grit and determination was an example followed by his teammates;

btw, that flag his daughter has is fantastic

Detroit_TFC
04-10-2013, 02:38 PM
My view on his has changed a lot from last season. I thought he was a bit of a dud, but I don't think that anymore. He has stepped up quite a bit this season.

mowe
04-10-2013, 02:39 PM
He's had a good start to the season but hasn't been free of mistakes either. He's also not the fastest which can be a problem in this league so maybe Boss is the better pairing for him? I'm a fan because he seems like a good guy who always plays for the badge but he's definitely NOT worth the contract that currently makes him the highest paid CB in the league.

MarkEightThree
04-10-2013, 02:40 PM
Honestly, Right now I'm loving the character this entire team has shown. They all seem like decent guys who want to be here and aren't above the team. So far we've only played the league's top teams and we've come away looking pretty good for the most part.

JuliquE
04-10-2013, 02:43 PM
I'm.. scared.

I had a serious conversation, relatively out of the blue, with my wife, earlier, about how much respect I have for the way he seems to frame/view things and just for the job he's done, in general -- great leader and I ended off with saying that I think I'll make a thread about it, later.

This is weird, really; I mean, I don't make too many threads. Alright, I'll stop with the conspiracy theory, now. o.0

Blakfish
04-10-2013, 02:53 PM
Fantastic leader and his passion is excellent. He's a proper centre-back and a great captain. He gets stuck in, leads the charge, and at the end of the game last week when we were searching for an equalizer he was getting involved all over the pitch. Got a lot of faith in him that's for sure.

Abou Sky
04-10-2013, 03:20 PM
Absolutely love him on and off the pitch.

When there was the TFC insert in the star I said 'look Sky, Darren O'Dea'

Sky said 'he looks mean'

I tweeted this to O'Dea and he sent Sky his signed game Jersey from the KC game.

Really, could a guy be more classy?

Couple that with on the pitch performance and I hope we keep him for the next 10 years and he has a proud spot on the wall of honour.

Really, I want a team of guys proud of the badge, who are not mercenaries but fight for Toronto and refuse to leave.

Yohan
04-10-2013, 03:36 PM
Absolutely love him on and off the pitch.

When there was the TFC insert in the star I said 'look Sky, Darren O'Dea'

Sky said 'he looks mean'

I tweeted this to O'Dea and he sent Sky his signed game Jersey from the KC game.

Really, could a guy be more classy?

Couple that with on the pitch performance and I hope we keep him for the next 10 years and he has a proud spot on the wall of honour.

Really, I want a team of guys proud of the badge, who are not mercenaries but fight for Toronto and refuse to leave.
his interviews also has him speak well of the team and its mentality.

people may criticize him for his high wage, but I think O'Dea is above average CB in MLS. Not quite top tier yet, but now that he knows what MLS is about, I expect him to get even better. And he's young enough to play at least 5 years of solid football, maybe even more. Seems to like Toronto very much, so may not have plans to move back to England.

the partnership of O'Dea and Boss/Henry for the future excites me very much. a commanding CB paired with a physical CB with pace ideal pairing in MLS. and his 'hoofball' actually finds targets! ;)

CBTFC
04-10-2013, 08:46 PM
The week between the KC and Montreal games, I ran into Darren @ King & Portland while walking home from work. Seemed (pleasantly) surprised that someone recognized him, and was up for a bit of a chat and asked if I had fun at the 'Dome for their win (of course I did!).

Wished him luck, and let him know that me, my friends and the majority of TFC fans are glad he's anchoring our D.

Yohan
04-11-2013, 12:32 AM
http://medias2.lesdessousdusport.fr/image/diaporama/glamour/wag-s-irlandaises/10_1cda8c3cb24fc887eb2a0de50d17ca97_456.jpg

And his wife. yowza

notthesun
04-11-2013, 02:31 AM
And his wife. yowza

Your move, Hassli. :p

OgtheDim
04-11-2013, 12:05 PM
I'm.. scared.

I had a serious conversation, relatively out of the blue, with my wife, earlier, about how much respect I have for the way he seems to frame/view things and just for the job he's done, in general -- great leader and I ended off with saying that I think I'll make a thread about it, later.

This is weird, really; ...

The fact you discuss with your wife your internet discussions is weird yes.

JuliquE
04-11-2013, 12:20 PM
We were, initially discussing an upcoming, planned move, at the table, and the conversation jumped laterally to character and I was reminded of O'Dea; I talk with her about TFC all the time and was just surprised that I hadn't before spoken much about him, when you consider how much his leadership has, for me, been a breath of fresh air.

I guess because I would sometimes share in some humour from the boards or tictoc's comic strip and so on, I thought it not out of line to mention, mainly to emphasize how grateful I was to have him in the side, that I'd start a thread on it. Admittedly, a little weird -- d'ah well.

At any rate, I just thought it interesting.. especially since I don't make too many threads, as she is also well aware. *gasp*

Oldtimer
04-11-2013, 12:27 PM

It depends on whether she's a TFC fan as to whether that's weird. If it's a passion that's shared, why not? Communication is a good thing.

JuliquE
04-11-2013, 12:59 PM
It depends on whether she's a TFC fan as to whether that's weird. If it's a passion that's shared, why not? Communication is a good thing.
Whilst not nearly as passionate, she would surely describe herself as a supporter and takes pride in knowing all the ins and outs at the club. Strange stuff.

Yohan
04-11-2013, 01:01 PM
Whilst not nearly as passionate, she would surely describe herself as a supporter and takes pride in knowing all the ins and outs at the club. Strange stuff.
sounds like a keeper! ;)

Abou Sky
04-11-2013, 03:50 PM
I hope Darren reads this, I have NEVER in over a year seen a completely positive post about any player with TFC. This is defo a first.

Ivy
04-11-2013, 03:53 PM
I hope Darren reads this, I have NEVER in over a year seen a completely positive post about any player with TFC. This is defo a first.
Darren O'Dea sucks. Bam.

OgtheDim
04-11-2013, 06:10 PM
I guess because I would sometimes share in some humour from the boards or tictoc's comic strip and so on, I thought it not out of line to mention, mainly to emphasize how grateful I was to have him in the side, that I'd start a thread on it. Admittedly, a little weird -- d'ah well.

Good for you. I think my comment says more about me. :hide:

Commie Red
04-11-2013, 10:10 PM
I too am smitten. He's my favourite player on-field and off. It's obvious the FO thinks he is a nice face for the team (so does my wife) and seem to be tying the team up with his image. With that and his youth I imagine he'll be around for awhile. I think that would be great and offers some stability that this club really needs.

ensco
04-11-2013, 10:23 PM
I have always worried about his cap hit, and guys can get behind him. But I like him too, he gets stuck in. That foul he took in added minutes vs KC, with them on the break in numbers, that was a savvy veteran move.

He is an above average MLS CB.

Abou Sky
04-12-2013, 07:14 AM
I too am smitten. He's my favourite player on-field and off. It's obvious the FO thinks he is a nice face for the team (so does my wife) and seem to be tying the team up with his image. With that and his youth I imagine he'll be around for awhile. I think that would be great and offers some stability that this club really needs.

Ya, my wife as well, she saw him and said 'oh my'

He and Earnshaw are apparently going to start a Latin boy band with Laba singing.

PopePouri
04-14-2013, 04:49 PM
Another captain's performance against Philly. Won basically everything in the air even with someone like Casey on the field.