PDA

View Full Version : Matias Laba thread

Pages : [1] 2

Oldtimer
04-09-2013, 07:29 AM
TORONTO - A deal to bring Argentine youth international Matias Laba to BMO Field is signed, sealed and all but delivered.

The Sun has learned that Laba, a 21-year-old central midfielder currently pulling strings for Argentinos Juniors of Buenos Aires, will join fellow countryman Maximiliano Urruti, of Argentina's Newell Old Boys, at Toronto FC in the coming weeks,

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Soccer/TorontoFC/2013/04/08/20722876.html

TFC_Allez
04-09-2013, 08:58 AM
this could be very interesting...I hope these guys can produce!

Jack
04-09-2013, 09:01 AM
They're going to tear this league apart!

Carts
04-09-2013, 09:04 AM
They're going to tear this league apart!

Someone HAD to say it! :)

Red Rat
04-09-2013, 09:14 AM
or
MLSE will tear them apart.

did you guys see who Montreal just signed? very interesting indeed

Ivy
04-09-2013, 09:25 AM
Yah, when I read "Montreal sign 19 year old Maximilliano..." I almost had a heart attack.

ag futbol
04-09-2013, 09:58 AM
Definitely an exciting signing. Hopefully we have another central midfielder in the mix as well... We really do need two of them.

Every great team in MLS has a strong player or two in the middle, no way around it. Fingers crossed he works out.

Gazza
04-09-2013, 10:16 AM
Does anyone know what type of player Laba is? Attacking midfielder?

spark
04-09-2013, 11:40 AM
Does anyone know what type of player Laba is? Attacking midfielder?

From what little I've seen out there I do not think he's an AM. Zero goals in almost 60 appearances wouldn't instil confidence that's his position, and from little can be gathered from the U20 WC, it looks like he's a DM or CM.

The one thing though that might be a bit worrying is he seems to get a lot of cards. Which leads me to wonder if he's either poor defensively or just reckless?

Just watched a highlight package and the majority of them are him tackling, creating turnovers (so that could explain the yellows), and passing upfield. He's right footed but it looks like he's ok with his left foot too.

Ivy
04-09-2013, 11:53 AM
Google translator...
@ Emaquix: # TFC MATIAS LABA: "Often heard rumors and did not end anything. Live the day to day and think Argentinos" via @ PasionPaternal

Richard
04-09-2013, 12:01 PM
With the acquisition of new highly skilled players how will Nelson alter the formation? Preferably we I think we want Laba, Urruti and Silva at the same time, this will allow for an explosive offense with Earnshaw getting service as the lone striker.

Currently though im more worried about Nelsons game tactics than the new player themselves.

Perhaps we see the 4-3-3 going forward.

ArmenJBX
04-09-2013, 12:24 PM
I've been asking Argentinos fans about him. Got some great stuff, so look for an article soon on RedNation.

Couple points; he is a runner. Best skill is in ball recovery. Worryingly, a couple people said he is not a creative midfielder, so I don't expect much in terms of Torsten Frings-like long passes. But he's fast, apparently. Expensive too. Let's see what happens.

Ajax TFC
04-09-2013, 12:38 PM
With the acquisition of new highly skilled players how will Nelson alter the formation? Preferably we I think we want Laba, Urruti and Silva at the same time, this will allow for an explosive offense with Earnshaw getting service as the lone striker.

Currently though im more worried about Nelsons game tactics than the new player themselves.

Perhaps we see the 4-3-3 going forward.
I don't think he'll alter it very much at all. In the games that Silva has come on, he's played in midfield and maybe Nelsen plans to start him there as well. If that's the case, I imagine it will be something like:
Bendik
Ecks - Agboss - Califf - Morgan
Bostock - Silva - Laba - Ephraim
Urruti - Earnshaw
Perhaps we will see variants like the 4-3-3 or 4-1-2-1-2, but I think there's a ways to go before Nelsen feels confident enough with the team to play with more attacking formations, If ever. I think his preferred system is two two way CMs, a CF and a dynamic shadow striker, and midfield wingers. He may play around with different types of players in each role, but I'm not sure yet if he will change he system up at some point.

I've been asking Argentinos fans about him. Got some great stuff, so look for an article soon on RedNation.

Couple points; he is a runner. Best skill is in ball recovery. Worryingly, a couple people said he is not a creative midfielder, so I don't expect much in terms of Torsten Frings-like long passes. But he's fast, apparently. Expensive too. Let's see what happens.
This sounds like exactly the type of player we need to get more creative players into midfield. Someone who can cover lots of ground to make up for players who might ignore their defensive responsibilities.

PopePouri
04-09-2013, 12:45 PM
He'll pretty much slot in where Hall plays which leaves Osorio, Bekker, Dunfield and maybe Silva to fight it out for the "box-to-box" mid position.

Jack
04-09-2013, 12:55 PM
There are quotes from him saying he doesn't know anything about a deal and he's focusing on Argentinos. He claims they are rumours and that the directors and managers haven't spoken with him about it (according to PasionPaternal who just did a radio interview with him).

He's their captain, according to this article: http://www.tycsports.com/notas/78413-se-va-matias-laba
http://www.pasionpaternal.com.ar/2013/04/08/se-quieren-llevar-a-laba/

Both of those articles (one of which was quoted on Waking The Red), indicate that the offer is already there and that Laba has already made an agreement with TFC, but that Argentinos need to make up their minds about our deadline.

Judging by the fan comments on the pasionpaternal site, their feelings are mixed about the sale. They say he's having a great season and they are currently in a relegation fight.
It looks like 1.5 million and Argentinos wanted us to wait but we are insisting on end of April at the latest.
Very mixed bag in terms of whether he's worth the money or not. But of course, we all know about internet footy fans :)

prizby
04-09-2013, 01:32 PM
massive upgrade in the position of biggest need; can't wait to see his game at bmo field

Yohan
04-09-2013, 01:40 PM
massive upgrade in the position of biggest need; can't wait to see his game at bmo field
i'm going to wait until this kid gets a few games before deciding whether he is an upgrade or not. nobody knows anything about this guy, and too many Argentinian flops in MLS

prizby
04-09-2013, 03:55 PM
i'm going to wait until this kid gets a few games before deciding whether he is an upgrade or not. nobody knows anything about this guy, and too many Argentinian flops in MLS

You are absolutely right; but in terms of a playing resume so far; he has one of the better one's and if the rumoured cash being spent to bring him is true, you'd hope this isn't a blind Caicedo or Aceval move.

Jack
04-09-2013, 04:02 PM
We already know what he's going to do to this league, Prizby ;)

Yohan
04-09-2013, 04:05 PM
You are absolutely right; but in terms of a playing resume so far; he has one of the better one's and if the rumoured cash being spent to bring him is true, you'd hope this isn't a blind Caicedo or Aceval move.
Pablo Vitti says you're an optimist ;)

West220Side
04-09-2013, 05:10 PM

You're right where that's concerned, but lets not limit it to the geographical location. There's a lot of NON-NORTH AMERICAN flops in MLS. Because they're simply not use to the travel that MLS regular season play demands. Along with the fact there's rules about how your team travels, etc. It's probably very hard for a player to adjust to these things. But i'm not a player, or in any way involved with professional soccer so I can't really say for sure!

Couple of good Argentinian players in MLS though Yohan, Real Salt Lake found some great success with them in Javier Morales and Fabian Espindola. But the situations can't be compared we're getting Laba & Urruti at a young age where they can grow and be taught.

Yohan
04-09-2013, 05:17 PM
You're right where that's concerned, but lets not limit it to the geographical location. There's a lot of NON-NORTH AMERICAN flops in MLS. Because they're simply not use to the travel that MLS regular season play demands. Along with the fact there's rules about how your team travels, etc. It's probably very hard for a player to adjust to these things. But i'm not a player, or in any way involved with professional soccer so I can't really say for sure!

Couple of good Argentinian players in MLS though Yohan, Real Salt Lake found some great success with them in Javier Morales and Fabian Espindola. But the situations can't be compared we're getting Laba & Urruti at a young age where they can grow and be taught.
you don't have to tell me about the history of MLS ;)

RSL lucked out. Brought in 3 argentinians, 2 of them panned out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_foreign_MLS_players#Argentina

Most of players on this list was a flop

ag futbol
04-09-2013, 05:20 PM
Google translator...
@ Emaquix: # TFC MATIAS LABA: "Often heard rumors and did not end anything. Live the day to day and think Argentinos" via @ PasionPaternal
Regarding all this stuff: sounds like PR 101. He's not going to say he's hitting the eject button in the middle of a relegation fight. As for the contract terms mentioned, earlier is better than later but if he's the player we want that shouldn't be a deal breaker. Probably just something for each side to squabble about at the table.

ag futbol
04-09-2013, 05:30 PM
you don't have to tell me about the history of MLS ;)

RSL lucked out. Brought in 3 argentinians, 2 of them panned out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_foreign_MLS_players#Argentina

Most of players on this list was a flop
What's luck have to do with it? Sure that's a high hit rate, but as a club over the past years they generally are good at scouting new players.

Remember the majority of players that come to this league don't work out period, turnover is crazy high. So you have a large number of argentines but also a large number of flops, might not mean anything specifically about the market.

From my POV it's cheaper than Europe, the track record in MLS is certainly no worse than most places, and we have management with connections there (Payne). Works for me

Yohan
04-09-2013, 05:36 PM
What's luck have to do with it? Sure that's a high hit rate, but as a club over the past years they generally are good at scouting new players.

Remember the majority of players that come to this league don't work out period, turnover is crazy high. So you have a large number of argentines but also a large number of flops, might not mean anything specifically about the market.

From my POV it's cheaper than Europe, the track record in MLS is certainly no worse than most places, and we have management with connections there (Payne). Works for memy point is that don't get overly optimistic about Argentinian signings. heck, don't get overly excited about any signings. temper your enthusiasm with reality

brad
04-09-2013, 06:27 PM
my point is that don't get overly optimistic about Argentinian signings. heck, don't get overly excited about any signings. temper your enthusiasm with reality

This is true of any signings - especially from a new league. Same deal for any league in the world.

Abou Sky
04-09-2013, 06:27 PM
my point is that don't get overly optimistic about Argentinian signings. heck, don't get overly excited about any signings. temper your enthusiasm with reality

I don't care where anyone is from, unless they sign a top 10 world player, I want to see them play before I get too excited.

That said, I AM optimistic :-D

ArmenJBX
04-09-2013, 09:22 PM
Matias Laba: Toronto FC's Midfield Solution? (http://www.rednationonline.ca/Articles2012/Mat%C3%ADasLabaTorontoFCsMidfieldSolution.aspx)

http://www.rednationonline.ca/Articles2012/Mat%C3%ADasLabaTorontoFCsMidfieldSolution.aspx

Laba is described as a purely central midfielder who has plenty of pace and runs quite a bit; he was also described as a collector, translated to English as a player who can intercept the ball. In almost every case, fans of the team said he was a great player. 

One consensus among Argentinos supporters was that Laba is not a creative midfielder. He was described multiple times as a “recuperador” which roughly translates to someone who recovers but the context of which is clear – Laba is a player who intercepts and recovers the ball, not necessarily a creator of plays or chances. Read More Here... (http://www.rednationonline.ca/Articles2012/Mat%C3%ADasLabaTorontoFCsMidfieldSolution.aspx)

Jack
04-09-2013, 09:39 PM
I read some pretty mixed comments, Armen. What's your source there?

ArmenJBX
04-09-2013, 09:43 PM
I took to Twitter and asked Argentinos Juniors fans about Laba. I had some mixed messages so I only added the repeated themes amongst their fans; good passer, really fast/runner and not a creative midfielder but a defensive midfielder. The word "recuperador" came up more than once.

That, plus the video, and that gives us a general sense of who he is as a player. He may have qualities we don't know about and maybe Nelsen has plans to use him in a different role if he does sign but for now, this is a first look at the kind of player he is.

prizby
04-09-2013, 10:12 PM
Pablo Vitti says you're an optimist ;)

I always contend that if Pablo Vitti was given another year, he'd have really taken off; he had never been a turf player and we got grass in 2010; some of his best games were on grass when he was with TFC.

T-boy
04-09-2013, 10:24 PM
I read some pretty mixed comments, Armen. What's your source there?

Generally I don't listen to supporters evaluations of players that are leaving. We've had lots of players leave TFC who we would all say were poor players, but then have gone on to be great for their next club. I can of an equal amount of players who were fantastic for one club, then went onto be poor at the next one (NZogbia, Downing, two easy examples without even thinking about it!).

Jack
04-09-2013, 10:52 PM
I took to Twitter and asked Argentinos Juniors fans about Laba. I had some mixed messages so I only added the repeated themes amongst their fans; good passer, really fast/runner and not a creative midfielder but a defensive midfielder. The word "recuperador" came up more than once.

That, plus the video, and that gives us a general sense of who he is as a player. He may have qualities we don't know about and maybe Nelsen has plans to use him in a different role if he does sign but for now, this is a first look at the kind of player he is.

I was reading comments on this article, which seemed quite mixed. Some think he's great, others think he's inconsistent and doesn't have much to offer. I guess time will tell.

Blizzard
04-09-2013, 11:08 PM
I always contend that if Pablo Vitti was given another year, he'd have really taken off; he had never been a turf player and we got grass in 2010; some of his best games were on grass when he was with TFC.

Agreed. He was very unlucky hitting four or five goal posts. The interplay between he and Amado was wonderful. He was offered a contract for 2010 but, assuming I was given the correct information, he turned it down as it was a major pay cut. It’s a shame really. He had skill.

ag futbol
04-10-2013, 09:39 AM
Agreed. He was very unlucky hitting four or five goal posts. The interplay between he and Amado was wonderful. He was offered a contract for 2010 but, assuming I was given the correct information, he turned it down as it was a major pay cut. It’s a shame really. He had skill.
Truth be told management wanted him back at a lower price but couldn't come to terms, that was the rumor at least. We spent our Mo Edu money like it was going out of style and them we were in a bad place cap wise. Prior to JDG arriving we had a payroll that was something like 800-900k more than any other MLS team without a DP. Dero, Robinson, Guevara, Vitti, all on 300k +... Should have done so much more!

Canary10
04-10-2013, 10:00 AM
Is anyone else a bit worried about this signing, and the amount of money being talked about in particular?

Oldtimer
04-10-2013, 10:04 AM
Truth be told management wanted him back at a lower price but couldn't come to terms, that was the rumor at least. We spent our Mo Edu money like it was going out of style and them we were in a bad place cap wise. Prior to JDG arriving we had a payroll that was something like 800-900k more than any other MLS team without a DP. Dero, Robinson, Guevara, Vitti, all on 300k +... Should have done so much more!

For sure. Mo's notorious "plan" had nothing to do with long-term building; it was to stockpile allocation money then make a push in year 3. If coaching had turned out better it might have even worked for that one year. Of course after year 3 it had to be torn down due to the cap and running out of the cash. If Tom Anselmi had known anything about managing teams in any sport he would have realized this and fired Mo.

Yohan
04-10-2013, 10:04 AM
Is anyone else a bit worried about this signing, and the amount of money being talked about in particular?
nope. don't care how much transfer fee is being paid since Laba will be a young DP with 200k cap hit only.

Oldtimer
04-10-2013, 10:05 AM

Not at all, you have to pay for quality. My only nervousness is whether Onstad is a good scout.

Canary10
04-10-2013, 10:13 AM
^ Then you have some worry about whether he's worth that kind of fee.

Yohan
04-10-2013, 10:19 AM
^ Then you have some worry about whether he's worth that kind of fee.
not that I have too much faith in KP's ability to sign good SA players, but you have to hope that he will do due dilligence in scouting. at least we will be guaranteed that KP and staff had good luck at this kid instead of picking a name out of the hat of MoJo era

Canary10
04-10-2013, 10:30 AM
Obviously I really hope you're right, but it's hard not to be a bit pessimistic. By MLS standards, $1.5 million is a pretty hefty fee. I don't know too much about this guy, but fans of his current club say he's not creative and not a goalscorer. Guys that can win balls in the midfield and have the smarts to hold it and start moving forward are valuable, but they don't make the visible impact people will expect of a DP with that kind of money being thrown around. I'm also a bit wary of an Argentinian player in that role in MLS, which is full of poor/flailing type tackling. Can he stand up to it? It feels a risky signing to me, but until we see him play....

Yohan
04-10-2013, 10:34 AM
Obviously I really hope you're right, but it's hard not to be a bit pessimistic. By MLS standards, $1.5 million is a pretty hefty fee. I don't know too much about this guy, but fans of his current club say he's not creative and not a goalscorer. Guys that can win balls in the midfield and have the smarts to hold it and start moving forward are valuable, but they don't make the visible impact people will expect of a DP with that kind of money being thrown around. I'm also a bit wary of an Argentinian player in that role in MLS, which is full of poor/flailing type tackling. Can he stand up to it? It feels a risky signing to me, but until we see him play....
Young DPs get a bit more slack than bigger name DPs. Diego Chara and Fabian Castillo for example.

Then again, it's Toronto so if Laba doesn't score goal a game, he is a bust

Carts
04-10-2013, 10:36 AM

Does the purchase price or signing fee go against the cap or allocation in any way...?

If not - I don't care if MLSE shells out a a few hundred million dollars on someone - they have plenty more where that came from....

Against the cap or allocation - obviously another story...

Canary10
04-10-2013, 10:40 AM
As I undestand it, the fee is ammortized across the length of the contract. The cap hit is the $200,000 for a young DP.

You could say who cares about JDG's contract (or Frings' for that matter) because the cap hit is small in relation to the total contract. But how many people felt those 3 year albtrosses? If Laba's a bust, it'll feel the same way.

Carts
04-10-2013, 10:45 AM
As I undestand it, the fee is ammortized across the length of the contract. The cap hit is the $200,000 for a young DP.

You could say who cares about JDG's contract (or Frings' for that matter) because the cap hit is small in relation to the total contract. But how many people felt those 3 year albtrosses around our necks? If Laba's a bust, it'll feel the same way.

If his salary is massively out of whack with his performance - ya that'll cause problems agreed with you there. Best example as you say JDG making boatloads of money & our best player making far less...

If it's just his purchase fee that's mega-high & some Argentine club gets rich, then who cares... LOL

Oldtimer
04-10-2013, 10:46 AM
Then again, it's Toronto so if Laba doesn't score goal a game, he is a bust

:lol: so true. The hate thread will start after game 2, probably just entitled "Laba," with someone saying he's no good and a waste of cap space, overpaid, and Dunfield is much better plus a Canadian! It will run to 30 pages within 1 week. :D

ag futbol
04-10-2013, 10:57 AM
I hope people don't have blinders on about him scoring goals. To me the most important / impactful players in this league are the Kyle Bekkerman's, Ozzie Alonso's, Roger Espinoza's, LAG Juninho ... If your guy can control the middle of the park, it does so much for the rest of your team. It allows your attackers to defend less, get the ball quicker, etc...

It's a damn good investment if it works out. Sounds like he's an all-action battering ram type, which is exactly what we need to stop being flooded in the midfield every game. Seems to get a fair amount of cards also, but that could work to our advantage in MLS. Argentina they'll call the game pretty tight, so he probably takes a fair amount of professional fouls that will simply be swept under the carpet here, because the officiating is still below par.

:lol: so true. The hate thread will start after game 2, probably just entitled "Laba," with someone saying he's no good and a waste of cap space, overpaid, and Dunfield is much better plus a Canadian! It will run to 30 pages within 1 week. :D
And then after scoring his first goal he'll do a shake and bake followed by a show me the money gesture :D

Canary10
04-10-2013, 11:03 AM
I hope people don't have blinders on about him scoring goals. To me the most important / impactful players in this league are the Kyle Bekkerman's, Ozzie Alonso's, Roger Espinoza's, LAG Juninho ... If your guy can control the middle of the park, it does so much for the rest of your team. It allows your attackers to defend less, get the ball quicker, etc...

It's a damn good investment if it works out. Sounds like he's an all-action battering ram type, which is exactly what we need to stop being flooded in the midfield every game. Seems to get a fair amount of cards also, but that could work to our advantage in MLS. Argentina they'll call the game pretty tight, so he probably takes a fair amount of professional fouls that will simply be swept under the carpet here, because the officiating is still below par.

And then after scoring his first goal he'll do a shake and bake followed by a show me the money gesture :D

Yeah I agree with this. Having played that position, I have a lot of respect for it. But it also tends to get the least recognition. Then you get what Oldtimer is saying above. Anyway, I do worry about this signing, but I'm looking forward to seeing him play. A little worry isn't a bad think I don't think.

Abou Sky
04-10-2013, 11:19 AM

No, I would hope they put him on a 1 year contract so that it all goes to the year 1 cap hit of $200k and they can dump him if they don't like him.

spark
04-10-2013, 11:23 AM
To add to this - all we've heard from Nelsen et al (ok not all but quite frequently) is the matra of how this team needs to stop conceding goals and become hard to beat. IMO this signing, should it go through, fits into that philosophy to a 'T', and we can debate whether or not he will be any good in MLS, his fees, etc ... but we should at least be somewhat positive that the club has finally put forth a vision for the type of team it wants to be (outside of glossy booklet) and is seeking players whose style actually is an active piece of the puzzle.

Again, Nelsen wants the team better defensively and hard to beat and they are looking at a guy, from what is out there, that appears to be a pitbull in winning back balls and getting it upfield to his teammates. This is a good start at achieving that IMO and given his age and pedigree looks to be in the ascent of his career, unlike Vitti who had fallen off badly and was hardly playing when he came here.

Canary10
04-10-2013, 11:24 AM
No, I would hope they put him on a 1 year contract so that it all goes to the year 1 cap hit of $200k and they can dump him if they don't like him.

I would be shocked if he is making this move for a one year contract. Little chance.

BeachTory
04-10-2013, 11:34 AM
KP said to me (paraphrasing):
toronto is a mature market. dont need to bring in big name but depreciating assets on contracts that need buy outs near the end. This is about getting an appreciating asset that could play now, could grow a bit and if one is lucky grows way up netting a sell on sale. The entire young DP contract idea is designed to help MLS place talent into the big 4 leagues in UEFA.

Selling players (any players) up helps MLS reputation and helps in signing locals to home grown deals. And that is where the best big money potential sits.

Alonso
04-10-2013, 12:00 PM
KP said to me (paraphrasing):
toronto is a mature market. dont need to bring in big name but depreciating assets on contracts that need buy outs near the end. This is about getting an appreciating asset that could play now, could grow a bit and if one is lucky grows way up netting a sell on sale. The entire young DP contract idea is designed to help MLS place talent into the big 4 leagues in UEFA.

Selling players (any players) up helps MLS reputation and helps in signing locals to home grown deals. And that is where the best big money potential sits. That's music to my ears. Hopefully this is what we begin to see going forward.

ag futbol
04-10-2013, 12:14 PM
To add to this - all we've heard from Nelsen et al (ok not all but quite frequently) is the matra of how this team needs to stop conceding goals and become hard to beat. IMO this signing, should it go through, fits into that philosophy to a 'T', and we can debate whether or not he will be any good in MLS, his fees, etc ... but we should at least be somewhat positive that the club has finally put forth a vision for the type of team it wants to be (outside of glossy booklet) and is seeking players whose style actually is an active piece of the puzzle.

Again, Nelsen wants the team better defensively and hard to beat and they are looking at a guy, from what is out there, that appears to be a pitbull in winning back balls and getting it upfield to his teammates. This is a good start at achieving that IMO and given his age and pedigree looks to be in the ascent of his career, unlike Vitti who had fallen off badly and was hardly playing when he came here.
Exactly. Who's to say if it will actually work or not, but at least the idea behind it is fundamentally sound.

jloome
04-10-2013, 01:09 PM
Exactly. Who's to say if it will actually work or not, but at least the idea behind it is fundamentally sound.

If he turns out anywhere near as good as Ozzie Alonso at intercepting and breaking up plays, it'll be worth it. That shit is gold in this league and guys who have great anticipation but will play defensively in the midfield are hard to find. I honestly thought, big money notwithstanding, that DeGuzman would be much better at it than he was.

Oldtimer
04-10-2013, 01:26 PM

:tongue: let's hope that sort of thing is in the past...

Oldtimer
04-10-2013, 01:28 PM
I honestly thought, big money notwithstanding, that DeGuzman would be much better at it than he was.

The la liga De Guzman would have been. What happened to that guy and how his not so good doppleganger showed up in Toronto is a mystery.

mowe
04-10-2013, 01:50 PM
The la liga De Guzman would have been. What happened to that guy and how his not so good doppleganger showed up in Toronto is a mystery.

Seriously. I'm sure injuries and coaching turnover played a part but De Guzman was probably the biggest disappointment in TFC history. I can't help but compare it to Montreal and Bernier. Similar story there, hometown kid returning after career abroad. Except Bernier actually delivered and is a crucial part of the team. Oh and his salary is less than 1/10th of De Guzman's.

ag futbol
04-10-2013, 06:00 PM
Yep I watched a fair amount of la Liga de Guzman and while he was very defensive he was a hell of a player. I think Mo got conned into that contract. In the span of half a year JDG went from being linked to the biggest non-el Classico clubs in Spain to coming to TFC. I think he was probably crocked physically and the teams over there knew it.

Mo rushed in and took the bate. Sure enough he falls apart shortly after and to make things worse our mentally challenged management think he's an AM after watching a handful of gold cup games.

He was literally known in Spain for shooting the ball over the net!! But he was near telepathic at reading passes. Watched him masterfully shield the backline when depor beat Real Madrid on two occasions.

That being said you could argue he didn't help himself either, although he kept his mouth shut while being consistently railed until he left town, which shows a certain amount of tack.

Bad signing on all levels unfortunately.

Derko
04-10-2013, 08:21 PM

Not if you don't let it.lol

jazzy
04-10-2013, 08:46 PM
From what little I've seen out there I do not think he's an AM. Zero goals in almost 60 appearances wouldn't instil confidence that's his position, and from little can be gathered from the U20 WC, it looks like he's a DM or CM.

The one thing though that might be a bit worrying is he seems to get a lot of cards. Which leads me to wonder if he's either poor defensively or just reckless?

Just watched a highlight package and the majority of them are him tackling, creating turnovers (so that could explain the yellows), and passing upfield. He's right footed but it looks like he's ok with his left foot too.

DeGuzman?

Oldtimer
04-10-2013, 08:59 PM
Not if you don't let it.lol

lol, we always let those threads run their course unless a major flame war erupts. :D

spark
04-11-2013, 08:59 AM
DeGuzman?

Are you asking if he's like JDG? My answer would be no.

moralis
04-11-2013, 11:11 AM
Find it interesting that Argentinos Juniors president Luis Segura told Argentinian media yesterday that the club has not received any offer from Toronto FC or MLS. From what you have reported Argentinos Juniors has received an offer from TFC for Matias Laba. Is the president saying BS? In that same quote the reporter says other leaders say otherwise and that an offer was received weeks ago.

Alejandro Calumite ‏@alecalumite (https://twitter.com/alecalumite) 14h (https://twitter.com/alecalumite/status/322161144439664641) # AAAJ Luis Segura denied that make an offer to the club reached by Matias Laba of MLS.Otros leaders say they arrived a couple of weeks.

https://twitter.com/search/realtime?q=Matias%20Laba&src=typd

PopePouri
04-11-2013, 11:19 AM
Find it interesting that Argentinos Juniors president Luis Segura told Argentinian media yesterday that the club has not received any offer from Toronto FC or MLS. From what you have reported Argentinos Juniors has received an offer from TFC for Matias Laba. Is the president saying BS? In that same quote the reporter says other leaders say otherwise and that an offer was received weeks ago.

Alejandro Calumite ‏@alecalumite (https://twitter.com/alecalumite) 14h (https://twitter.com/alecalumite/status/322161144439664641) # AAAJ Luis Segura denied that make an offer to the club reached by Matias Laba of MLS.Otros leaders say they arrived a couple of weeks.

https://twitter.com/search/realtime?q=Matias%20Laba&src=typd

How many times have we heard these types of denials before the player leaves the next day.

Stouffville_RPB
04-11-2013, 11:19 AM
Yep I watched a fair amount of la Liga de Guzman and while he was very defensive he was a hell of a player. I think Mo got conned into that contract. In the span of half a year JDG went from being linked to the biggest non-el Classico clubs in Spain to coming to TFC. I think he was probably crocked physically and the teams over there knew it.

Mo rushed in and took the bate. Sure enough he falls apart shortly after and to make things worse our mentally challenged management think he's an AM after watching a handful of gold cup games.

He was literally known in Spain for shooting the ball over the net!! But he was near telepathic at reading passes. Watched him masterfully shield the backline when depor beat Real Madrid on two occasions.

That being said you could argue he didn't help himself either, although he kept his mouth shut while being consistently railed until he left town, which shows a certain amount of tack.

Bad signing on all levels unfortunately.

JDG was black listed in Europe after he spoke out against the club that had gone months without paying him. He couldn't get a contract ANYWHERE and left the TFC offer on the table for a long time. When he had strained all of his resources he reluctantly took the TFC offer as it was literally the ONLY offer on the table. He lacked any kind of motivation here because he never wanted to come here unless he had to.

Back on the topic of Laba...I like the signing. It doesn't matter what he is getting paid as only 200k counts towards the cap. If Laba sees this as an opportunity to show other leagues that he can perform at a high level in a physical league this could be a very good move.

After years of getting excited before a ball is kicked I will reserve any judgement until after he has some games in the league under his belt.

Richard
04-11-2013, 11:39 AM
JDG was black listed in Europe after he spoke out against the club that had gone months without paying him. He couldn't get a contract ANYWHERE and left the TFC offer on the table for a long time. When he had strained all of his resources he reluctantly took the TFC offer as it was literally the ONLY offer on the table. He lacked any kind of motivation here because he never wanted to come here unless he had to.

Back on the topic of Laba...I like the signing. It doesn't matter what he is getting paid as only 200k counts towards the cap. If Laba sees this as an opportunity to show other leagues that he can perform at a high level in a physical league this could be a very good move.

After years of getting excited before a ball is kicked I will reserve any judgement until after he has some games in the league under his belt.

Wait, you get blacklisted by asking the contract be honoured?

ag futbol
04-11-2013, 02:10 PM
Wait, you get blacklisted by asking the contract be honoured?
Basically yeah, but within certain circles. To me that explains a lot of him leaving Spain, but all of Europe? That doesn't add up.

He's not the only player to get in a financial dust-up with a Spanish club. They don't get exiled from the continent.

spark
04-11-2013, 02:56 PM
Basically yeah, but within certain circles. To me that explains a lot of him leaving Spain, but all of Europe? That doesn't add up.

He's not the only player to get in a financial dust-up with a Spanish club. They don't get exiled from the continent.

IIRC it wasn't necessarily the contract but I think they owed him over a million in bonuses. He went public on it, and I think that's why he barely made an appearance in 2009 although I think he might have been injured as well?

I also seem to recall him arriving here essentially came down to JDG saying "make me an offer I can't refuse" - because his value in Europe at the time was nowhere near what he got here.

moralis
04-11-2013, 05:39 PM
Recent article on situation with Matias Laba and TFC: read carefully

English version:

http://translate.google.ca/translate?hl=en&sl=es&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.argentinospasion.com.ar%2Findex .php%2Farchivo%2Ffutbol-profesional%2F61-final-2013%2F2398-matias-laba-su-situacion

Spanish version:

http://www.argentinospasion.com.ar/index.php/archivo/futbol-profesional/61-final-2013/2398-matias-laba-su-situacion

moralis
04-12-2013, 06:22 PM
It's amazing the president continues today saying the club has not received an official offer from Toronto FC:

Alejandro Giordano ‏@alegiordano11 (https://twitter.com/alegiordano11) 46m (https://twitter.com/alegiordano11/status/322839111616585729) Luis Segura pte #AAAJ (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23AAAJ&src=hash) "No recibimos pedido oficial por Laba. Quizá se contactaron con él o su representante" (por el interés del #TorontoFC (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TorontoFC&src=hash))

https://twitter.com/alegiordano11/status/322839111616585729

Comment from Laba tonight saying: I'm content in Argentinos and the situation is difficult for the club, plus he does not know if he's saying or leaving:

Alan Yajia ‏@alanyajia (https://twitter.com/alanyajia) 11m (https://twitter.com/alanyajia/status/322848767449632768)
Matias Laba en la previa de Pasion Paternal: "Estoy comodo en Argentinos y es una situacion dificil del club. No se si me voy a ir"

https://twitter.com/alanyajia/status/322848767449632768

T-boy
04-12-2013, 10:03 PM
Have the club ever actually said the player they are signing is Laba? Or was this just a reporter?

Derko
04-12-2013, 10:05 PM
It's amazing the president continues today saying the club has not received an official offer from Toronto FC:

Alejandro Giordano ‏@alegiordano11 (https://twitter.com/alegiordano11) 46m (https://twitter.com/alegiordano11/status/322839111616585729) Luis Segura pte #AAAJ (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23AAAJ&src=hash) "No recibimos pedido oficial por Laba. Quizá se contactaron con él o su representante" (por el interés del #TorontoFC (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TorontoFC&src=hash))

https://twitter.com/alegiordano11/status/322839111616585729

Comment from Laba tonight saying: I'm content in Argentinos and the situation is difficult for the club, plus he does not know if he's saying or leaving:

Alan Yajia ‏@alanyajia (https://twitter.com/alanyajia) 11m (https://twitter.com/alanyajia/status/322848767449632768)
Matias Laba en la previa de Pasion Paternal: "Estoy comodo en Argentinos y es una situacion dificil del club. No se si me voy a ir"

https://twitter.com/alanyajia/status/322848767449632768

Sounds like Bullshit to me, wait for the 'Official' announcement

SirBobSaget
04-13-2013, 12:30 AM
Sometimes following a team too closely gets soooooo annoying!!!! Maybe this Argentinos Pres is a Cochrane "Plata is still a member of TFC" equivalent?

Either way would dampen expactations if only relied on torontofc.ca for news. No Peralta, Urruti or Laba to get hyped about (plus prob many more that Im forgetting right now)

Abou Sky
04-13-2013, 12:33 AM
Sometimes following a team too closely gets soooooo annoying!!!! Maybe this Argentinos Pres is a Cochrane "Plata is still a member of TFC" equivalent?

Either way would dampen expactations if only relied on torontofc.ca for news. No Peralta, Urruti or Laba to get hyped about (plus prob many more that Im forgetting right now)

I have tried to stop doing tfc stuff at work, I am getting more done and am happier.

moralis
04-15-2013, 02:01 PM
Not sure if this true, but it seems TFC have increased their offer to Argentinos Juniors for Matias Laba to 2 million dollars from 1.5 million dollars:

Football News ‏@FootballNews013 (https://twitter.com/FootballNews013) 54m (https://twitter.com/FootballNews013/status/323858842641371136) Laba (Argentinos Jrs) pretendido por el Toronto FC, que lo compraría por dos millones de dólares.

https://twitter.com/FootballNews013/status/323858842641371136

Canary10
04-15-2013, 02:50 PM
That "done deal" doesn't seem to be very done.

Carts
04-15-2013, 03:07 PM
That "done deal" doesn't seem to be very done.

Very frustrating indeed - and seems to happen with this club way more than anyone else...

They need to learn to keep a lid on these things as much as possible until they are in fact done...

Hopefully it gets worked out and help is on the way...

TFC07
04-15-2013, 05:09 PM
$2million offer? Wow, looks like this Argentine club is just milking every dollar and dime from TFC. Hopefully, $2 million is the final offer. If TFC is going to spend that kind of money, then they might as spend it on a proven player.

ag futbol
04-15-2013, 09:47 PM
You never really know what's accurate out there.

What we are seeing in the argentine press could be true or just a big story of: "oh we didn't want to sell our star player, but then we negotiated really hard and they gave us an offer we couldn't refuse so we had no choice because of a great deal... Blah blah blah"

Personally I'd rather have rumors and something to speculate on as opposed to nothing. It might not be TFC releasing these leaks either, so it's hard to fault them considering we really are only going by what's reported, without any true sense of where it's coming from

Abou Sky
04-15-2013, 10:28 PM
I think it is unlikely that tfc is leaking the numbers.

That said, media is speaking like they have spoken to Nelsen and Payne and it is good to go.

Ajax TFC
04-15-2013, 10:58 PM
$2million offer? Wow, looks like this Argentine club is just milking every dollar and dime from TFC. Hopefully, $2 million is the final offer. If TFC is going to spend that kind of money, then they might as spend it on a proven player.
except a proven player would cost more against the cap, and that's all that really matters. You can't get a proven U23

SirBobSaget
04-15-2013, 11:01 PM
Maybe its some kind of pride-posturing thing going on from Argentinos? Their young star is being poached by a team in Canada after all. The fan base probably be somewhat insulted if not looking at the situation logically.

Unless there was the notion of large transfer fee paid and that the club resisted as long as possible

TFC07
04-15-2013, 11:50 PM
except a proven player would cost more against the cap, and that's all that really matters. You can't get a proven U23

Laba will count as a DP. So cap hit will be same as any other DP during midseason. This signing better work or else TFC wasted $2 million on a player they're not going to get good ROI in terms of dollars compare to high profile player signings. Also on Transfer market, Laba is worth 500,000 Euros only. Also, I don't see any other clubs bidding on Laba. So there isn't much demand for Laba.

Richard
04-16-2013, 12:53 AM
I think everyone needs to be reminded this is all speculation. Who knows if this guy is actually comming here in the first place, the fee is also speculation and probably false.

Transfer market.de is not anywhere near a reliable source of player valuation, if that were the case Andy Carrol(plus a bajillion more players) wouldnt have been sold for £35 million.

TFC07
04-16-2013, 01:40 AM
I think everyone needs to be reminded this is all speculation. Who knows if this guy is actually comming here in the first place, the fee is also speculation and probably false.

Transfer market.de is not anywhere near a reliable source of player valuation, if that were the case Andy Carrol(plus a bajillion more players) wouldnt have been sold for £35 million.
Transfer market valuation based on players performance (both club and international), demand and age. Just because some mediocre EPL player like Carrol (even though he had some huge upside to become a really good player in EPL and English national team at the time) got sold (overpaid) doesn't mean Transfer market valuation was wrong. It isn't a bad source to use to get some perspective on a player's value especially when we are talking about transfers here.

Canary10
04-16-2013, 08:47 AM
Maybe its some kind of pride-posturing thing going on from Argentinos? Their young star is being poached by a team in Canada after all. The fan base probably be somewhat insulted if not looking at the situation logically.

Unless there was the notion of large transfer fee paid and that the club resisted as long as possible

It's just as likely it's posturing from TFC. The team has some interest in trying to tell the supporters the team will get bet this year after all.

Ajax TFC
04-16-2013, 08:51 AM
Laba will count as a DP. So cap hit will be same as any other DP during midseason. This signing better work or else TFC wasted $2 million on a player they're not going to get good ROI in terms of dollars compare to high profile player signings.
http://www.mlssoccer.com/2012-mls-roster-rules

A Designated Player 20 years old or younger** (referred to as Young Designated Players or Young DPs) to counts as $150,000 against the club’s salary budget
A Designated Player 21-23 years old** counts as $200,000 against the club’s salary budget.
A Designated Player over the age of 23 counts as $350,000 against the club’s salary budget, unless the player joins his club in the middle of the season, in which case his budget charge will be $175,000
the budget charge for the midseason signing of a Young DP is $150,000

Not the same midseason, and certainly not the same for the following seasons.

Also on Transfer market, Laba is worth 500,000 Euros only. Also, I don't see any other clubs bidding on Laba. So there isn't much demand for Laba.
Lol Transfer markt values are often way off of what teams actually end up having to pay for a player.

TOBOR !
04-16-2013, 09:18 AM
fuck it. just leave the table - walk away. we'll get by.

ag futbol
04-16-2013, 09:26 AM
Transfer market valuation based on players performance (both club and international), demand and age. Just because some mediocre EPL player like Carrol (even though he had some huge upside to become a really good player in EPL and English national team at the time) got sold (overpaid) doesn't mean Transfer market valuation was wrong. It isn't a bad source to use to get some perspective on a player's value especially when we are talking about transfers here.
It's a very loose barometer of the realistic value of a player. I don't think any manager or club president goes into negotiation and says "but did you see his value on transfer maket ?"

They might have a formula for determining player value, but I have yet to see any study or evidence that it is accurate.

TFC07
04-16-2013, 11:04 AM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/2012-mls-roster-rules

Not the same midseason, and certainly not the same for the following seasons.

Lol Transfer markt values are often way off of what teams actually end up having to pay for a player.

MLS and make it up along the way rules (This DP rule must be new). But I am sure $2 million isn't worth spending on unproven 21 year old player where there isn't much demand? You can get better players than that. The whole point getting players from South America was they're cheap to get. Now we are rumour to spend $2 million now?

TFC07
04-16-2013, 11:08 AM
It's a very loose barometer of the realistic value of a player. I don't think any manager or club president goes into negotiation and says "but did you see his value on transfer maket ?"

They might have a formula for determining player value, but I have yet to see any study or evidence that it is accurate.
Obviously professional clubs aren't going to use a Market Transfer since a lot of them have their own formula to determine a player's worth unless your team is owned by bunch rich Russian and Middle Eastern giving you unlimited amount money to buy players. I am just using transfer market as a source to give us another perspective to see where a player stands in terms of value. 500,000 Euros sounds just right to me for player who isn't proven as much and there isn't much demand for the player.

Yohan
04-16-2013, 11:10 AM
MLS and make it up along the way rules (This DP rule must be new). But I am sure $2 million isn't worth spending on unproven 21 year old player where there isn't much demand? You can get better players than that. The whole point getting players from South America was they're cheap to get. Now we are rumour to spend $2 million now?
Young DP rule existed since beginning of 2012 season.

Portland is very happy with Diego Chara and Dallas with Fabian Castillo, both signed as young DPs originally

Phil
04-16-2013, 11:17 AM

The impression that I always had was South American players were difficult and expensive to extract. Its a different payment structure to get the player out. Maybe once removed the players become more affordable.

Oldtimer
04-16-2013, 11:25 AM
The impression that I always had was South American players were difficult and expensive to extract. Its a different payment structure to get the player out. Maybe once removed the players become more affordable.

The biggest problem is that many players have their rights, or portions of their rights owned by 3rd parties. You have to pay off the hedge fund as well as the club.

TFC07
04-16-2013, 12:49 PM

Portland is very happy with Diego Chara and Dallas with Fabian Castillo, both signed as young DPs originally

Diego Chara joined Portland when he was 25 years old (young DP rule doesn't apply). I highly doubt it cost Portland $2million to acquire Chara . Fabian Castillo transfer fee was $800,000 USD.

TFC07
04-16-2013, 12:54 PM
The impression that I always had was South American players were difficult and expensive to extract. Its a different payment structure to get the player out. Maybe once removed the players become more affordable. This might be the case. But however in the past, people here have said we should look at Central/South America for players because they're cheaper than European players. But now, we are seeing that isn't the case. Also, it seems process is must difficult (maybe that's in our end due to rules) to acquire players from that region.

Yohan
04-16-2013, 12:58 PM
Diego Chara joined Portland when he was 25 years old (young DP rule doesn't apply). I highly doubt it cost Portland $2million to acquire Chara . Fabian Castillo transfer fee was $800,000 USD.
You are correct about Chara. My bad. For some reason I thought he signed at 23.

Only half of Castillo's rights was bought by Dallas for 800k. If the deal is to be made permanent, it is reasonable to assume Dallas would pay another 800k for his full rights.

Other 'young' DPs in MLS history would be Rafael for DC United.

ag futbol
04-16-2013, 02:40 PM
Obviously professional clubs aren't going to use a Market Transfer since a lot of them have their own formula to determine a player's worth unless your team is owned by bunch rich Russian and Middle Eastern giving you unlimited amount money to buy players. I am just using transfer market as a source to give us another perspective to see where a player stands in terms of value. 500,000 Euros sounds just right to me for player who isn't proven as much and there isn't much demand for the player.
I don't think we can state that considering we are well outside of the sphere of South American football. Have no idea who the best box-to-box mids are in argentina, what their level of performance is, how they typically transition to other leagues, or what clubs typically pay for transfer fees. More importantly we seem to know very little about the player himself. For all we know this guy could easily be Javier Mascherano reincarnated. Being 21 and captaining a team in a league much better than MLS doesn't exactly make him sounds like a slouch.

There's a difference between being unproven and unknown. We do not know much about this player, that does not mean the player is without merit or that KP & Co are similarly in the dark.

Abou Sky
04-16-2013, 03:10 PM
The biggest problem is that many players have their rights, or portions of their rights owned by 3rd parties. You have to pay off the hedge fund as well as the club.

Wow, I had no idea that happened.

Am I the only one who finds that kind of sick?

As for $2m being expensive, Atletico is demanding $50m for Falcao.

Richard
04-16-2013, 03:19 PM

Why even make the compairison? Different universe altogether.

prizby
04-16-2013, 03:32 PM

neither were signed as young DP's; Chara was never the age and Castillo was signed before the young DP rule (I see this was touched upon)

Greatest Ripoff
04-16-2013, 03:34 PM
As for $2m being expensive...

Toronto paid almost $2 million a year to Deguzman for 4 years. That is almost $8 million. $2 million isn't really that much.

prizby
04-16-2013, 03:39 PM
as for Laba being unproven; many players seem to get discovered at the u20 fifa world cup; Laba was Argentina's box-to-box midfield playing in all 5 (starting 4) games in which Argentina only conceded once (a penalty shot) before losing on penalties in the quarter-final; now without having seen him play; you can conclude what you want; but making (let alone starting) for Argentina u20 team is a big accomplishment and is a lot higher up there than most players in MLS have on their resume's

Yohan
04-16-2013, 03:42 PM
neither were signed as young DP's; Chara was never the age and Castillo was signed before the young DP rule (I see this was touched upon)
No reason why Castillo isn't on a young DP contract now for cap hit purposes.

brad
04-16-2013, 04:32 PM
as for Laba being unproven; many players seem to get discovered at the u20 fifa world cup; Laba was Argentina's box-to-box midfield playing in all 5 (starting 4) games in which Argentina only conceded once (a penalty shot) before losing on penalties in the quarter-final; now without having seen him play; you can conclude what you want; but making (let alone starting) for Argentina u20 team is a big accomplishment and is a lot higher up there than most players in MLS have on their resume's

Pablo Vitti played for Argentina's U-20's and started 2 of the games. He was considered one of the hottest prospects at the time.

prizby
04-16-2013, 04:35 PM
No reason why Castillo isn't on a young DP contract now for cap hit purposes.

this absolutely true, but when he was initially signed, he was only going to count as a DP for the 2011 season; after that he was going to revert to non DP; going to assume with the implementation of the young DP rule, Dallas has since taken advantage of that.

prizby
04-16-2013, 04:35 PM
Pablo Vitti played for Argentina's U-20's and started 2 of the games. He was considered one of the hottest prospects at the time.

pablo vitti also never had played a season on artificial turf

ag futbol
04-16-2013, 05:49 PM
pablo vitti also never had played a season on artificial turf
But more importantly he was already struggling before he showed up here. He was unwanted baggage at his club.

This guy by comparison is very much an appreciating asset, to date at least.

jloome
04-16-2013, 08:05 PM

Those two games and his performance were the beginning of the end; at the time, he was starting ahead of Messi. After he flopped terribly in the first two games of the u20s is when he was nicknamed La Muerta, 'The Dead'. His confidence was so shot after he was benched that he failed to score in his next 15 games or something, and he was done in Argentina.

Canary10
04-17-2013, 08:50 AM
Probably the only thing we know for certain at this point is that there is no deal, and the rumours that it was just a wait until he joined us at the end of April are untrue. Nelsen said yesterday it might be time to just move on.

ginkster88
04-17-2013, 12:25 PM
/thread

moralis
04-23-2013, 11:02 AM
Hi guys, I think the Matias Laba to TFC deal might now have some legs. Laba was yesterday expelled from his league game after receiving his second yellow card and will now miss their next match on April 28.

Now it seems like a transfer to TFC is possible.

Follow these twitter feeds:

https://twitter.com/search/realtime?q=matias%20laba&src=typd

https://twitter.com/search/realtime?q=laba%20aaaj&src=typd

Canary10
04-23-2013, 11:45 AM
Hi guys, I think the Matias Laba to TFC deal might now have some legs. Laba was yesterday expelled from his league game after receiving his second yellow card and will now miss their next match on April 28.

Now it seems like a transfer to TFC is possible.

Follow these twitter feeds:

https://twitter.com/search/realtime?q=matias%20laba&src=typd

https://twitter.com/search/realtime?q=laba%20aaaj&src=typd

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't understand why being expelled from a match on a red card means the deal has legs. Can you explain?

Abou Sky
04-23-2013, 11:47 AM
This is of special interest:

@ rofndz Estaba ya planeado que se iba el Domingo despues de jugar con Independiente.

@ rofndz (https://twitter.com/rofndz) was already planned that was going on Sunday after playing with Independiente. So suppose q would be the same for him.

HUH?!?!

This is all from a sports journalist in Argentina

Alejandro Calumite @ alecalumite (https://twitter.com/alecalumite)52m (https://twitter.com/alecalumite/status/326726068004327424)
# AAAJ (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23AAAJ&src=hash) Laba Selling to MLS I would let the club clean 1.350.000 million dollars. If confirmed in the prox. hours, but no longer plays
Details (https://twitter.com/alecalumite/status/326726068004327424)

https://si0.twimg.com/profile_images/2233208734/DSC03964_normal.jpgAlejandro Calumite @ alecalumite (https://twitter.com/alecalumite)53m (https://twitter.com/alecalumite/status/326725660716445696)
"Above Laba now I will." He just told Caruso to @ alanyajia (https://twitter.com/alanyajia) at the end of the practice of # AAAJ (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23AAAJ&src=hash)
Details (https://twitter.com/alecalumite/status/326725660716445696)

https://si0.twimg.com/profile_images/2233208734/DSC03964_normal.jpgAlejandro Calumite @ alecalumite (https://twitter.com/alecalumite)1h (https://twitter.com/alecalumite/status/326723281128390656)
# AAAJ (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23AAAJ&src=hash) insist with what I said last night. Eye with the possible departure of Matias Laba. Now, not in June

brad
04-23-2013, 11:56 AM

Very common. Look at Carlos Tevez as a prime example (his transfer from South America to England). Mascherano as well to a lesser extent (same 3rd party owner, less visibility).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third-party_ownership_in_association_football

Value is relative. There are only 2 other people on the planet as lethal in front of goal as Falcao - and they'd be worth far more. There are far more players of Laba's level and experience.

moralis
04-23-2013, 01:00 PM
Also this from John Molinaro from today's TFC practice:

John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro) 33m (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/326748223337287680) Nelson confirms Urutti is NOT coming. Hinted that Labba signing is imminent. #TFC (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TFC&src=hash)

https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/326748223337287680
(https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/326748223337287680)
Also from Neil Davidson:

Neil Davidson ‏@NeilMDavidson (https://twitter.com/NeilMDavidson) 32m (https://twitter.com/NeilMDavidson/status/326749337201831936) #toronto (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23toronto&src=hash) FC says deal for Argentine forward Urrutti is off. Looks like Argentine midfielder Laba is coming.

https://twitter.com/NeilMDavidson/status/326749337201831936

Gazza
04-23-2013, 01:08 PM
I knew i should've held out on buying a Urutti jersey. Now i have to figure out how to turn his name into "Davies"

Jack
04-23-2013, 01:11 PM
Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't understand why being expelled from a match on a red card means the deal has legs. Can you explain?
The quote there says he has essentially played his last game for them.

ManUtd4ever
04-23-2013, 01:25 PM
I knew i should've held out on buying a Urutti jersey. Now i have to figure out how to turn his name into "Davies"

Haha

Canary10
04-23-2013, 02:18 PM
The quote there says he has essentially played his last game for them.

Oh it's the quote. So you don't get a red card for being transferred.

Jack
04-23-2013, 02:38 PM
Not as far as I'm aware g:D

jloome
04-23-2013, 03:24 PM

Unless it's to the worst team in the world. g:D

ensco
04-23-2013, 04:49 PM
That Davies story, that really makes no sense. It could easily be an example of what I suggested when the Urruti stories first got hot, ie it's Nelsen or Payne doing a favour for an agent, by lending their name to something (or more precisely, not refuting a widespread rumour that gets into the mainstream media), to help someone get an auction going.

Davies could make sense as a veteran piece for an MLS contender. RSL and LA, for instance, could use insurance up front.

Abou Sky
04-23-2013, 08:26 PM
That Davies story, that really makes no sense. It could easily be an example of what I suggested when the Urruti stories first got hot, ie it's Nelsen or Payne doing a favour for an agent, by lending their name to something (or more precisely, not refuting a widespread rumour that gets into the mainstream media), to help someone get an auction going.

Davies could make sense as a veteran piece for an MLS contender. RSL and LA, for instance, could use insurance up front.

I haven't seen him play, I know there are people here who mainline football so many of you know better but, is it at all possible that he has a season in him as a sub?

We have been lucky with injuries so far, but we had our 5th and 6th fullbacks on the pitch on Saturday. We can burn through Earnshaw and Braun pretty quickly. If Davies were to cost $100k or something, and can pot a few goals, wouldn't it be decent insurance?

Detroit_TFC
04-24-2013, 08:33 AM

LOL - adidas needs to come up with a TFC jersey with a velcro name patch on the back, NFL style. Club shop could sell name patches strips and blank ones for the "rumored signing of the week" feature.

REDJUVE
04-24-2013, 08:40 AM
I thought this was a Matias Laba thread ?!?!? Bring-er back !

Abou Sky
04-24-2013, 09:20 AM
For you REDJUVE, anything :)

Moralis' links still work (they update)

https://twitter.com/search/realtime?...0laba&src=typd (https://twitter.com/search/realtime?q=matias%20laba&src=typd)

Some super keen stuff (with help of google translate)

*Note, time is now 10:08am so you can figure times based on that*

enrique sacco @ enriquesacco (https://twitter.com/enriquesacco)58m (https://twitter.com/enriquesacco/status/327046719110000640)
# Argentine (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Argentinos&src=hash) Matias Laba terminated his contract to join the Toronto FC. When you quedan1.3 Bug million. Via @ Jbruno84 (https://twitter.com/Jbruno84)

Nicholas Herrera @ Nicobichi (https://twitter.com/Nicobichi)1h (https://twitter.com/Nicobichi/status/327043724779610112)
Confirms @ alanyajia (https://twitter.com/alanyajia) that Matías Laba afternoon signing his contract termination and Sunday traveling to Canada to join the Toronto FC.
Learello @ Learello (https://twitter.com/Learello)1h (https://twitter.com/Learello/status/327041677686611969)
"The pass was confirmed Matías Laba to MLS "I do not understand most anything! @ PasionPaternal (https://twitter.com/PasionPaternal)# AAAJ (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23AAAJ&src=hash)

And here is an article:

News (http://www.pasionpaternal.com.ar/actualidad/) , Football (http://www.pasionpaternal.com.ar/futbol/) - April 23, 2013 22:23
Laba goes to Toronto (http://www.pasionpaternal.com.ar/2013/04/23/laba-se-va-al-toronto/)

Posted by Alejandro Calumite (http://www.pasionpaternal.com.ar/author/alejandro-calumite/)

Rate (8 Votes)

The central midfielder will be transferred to the MLS team and, although there was no official figures, the club would be left clean U $ S 1,350,000. This Wednesday will end up signing the papers and Sunday will be traveling towards North America. It is the third to be the Bug in this semester.Controversy door no opposing managers to part with it at this critical stage of the tournament.
http://www.pasionpaternal.com.ar/wp-content/uploads/Laba44.jpg
And it goes nomas Matías Laba. While the official information will be announced in the next few hours, or perhaps on Wednesday when the details are concluded, the fact that the Argentine central midfielder will be transferred to Toronto FC in a deal that would leave the club U $ S 1,350. 000 clean through the transfer of midfielder of 21 years, will travel Sunday to North America.
It was all agreed in recent weeks. However, both the player, when asked by the media, like the president, at the last meeting of Executive Committee, denied the deal. Moreover in those days it was said that it was all signed and that the April 29 go to the United States. And it will.
This Wednesday evening and CD will be meeting several leaders plan to oppose the transfer. However, the pressure exerted by the player's environment the urgency of money you have the club in dire need of a significant income, made a settlement is reached a few weeks ago.
Caruso addressed the issue in practice this morning: "On top of that I have trouble putting together the team, now going Laba" acknowledged DT Tuesday at UTA, dissatisfied with the decision of some leaders to transfer the player who becomes the third to leave as he fights for the Final Tournament: the first was José Carlos Fernández and the second Leonel Nunez.
A Laba you happen to go in the worst way, in the middle of a tournament and after expulsion why many point to it as one of those responsible for the defeat on the field of Tiger. Lets you good money to the club, it's true.But the fans the feeling that there is a happy ending beyond the money coming into the coffers of the club.

ag futbol
04-24-2013, 09:48 AM
But did he sign the contract? I only see him holding pen over paper /sarcasm

Jack
04-24-2013, 09:55 AM
Haha google translations are always funny g:D

OgtheDim
04-24-2013, 11:35 AM
He's SINISTER!!!!!!!

Jack
04-24-2013, 12:04 PM
Their supporters are pretty pissed about him getting sent off in a pivotal match for them that could have implications in their relegation. Many seem to think it was on purpose.

ryan
04-24-2013, 12:19 PM
what the hell is going on here.

Jack
04-24-2013, 12:23 PM
Reading the comments on this article: http://www.pasionpaternal.com.ar/2013/04/23/laba-se-va-al-toronto/

jloome
04-24-2013, 12:49 PM
Reading the comments on this article: http://www.pasionpaternal.com.ar/2013/04/23/laba-se-va-al-toronto/

Better yet, here are some of the best google translations:

Carlos1961 April 23, 2013 17:31 (http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?act=url&depth=1&hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.ca&sl=es&tl=en&u=http://www.pasionpaternal.com.ar/2013/04/23/laba-se-va-al-toronto/&usg=ALkJrhi0D_Z92PJiCM7aLMbRfK7NUNgQlQ#comment-54983) I understand that the kids want to ensure the future. The "old" (parents, guardians, Dt `s, leaders) are doing something wrong. These kids are ill-advised. Erased in 3 games so they built with much sacrifice and effort. Matthias Last night was miserable. Many times they did throw the fart, but last night was unusually grotesque. Lucky kid,, but remember not to walk paths that can not return.
Califica

ricardo sirna April 23, 2013 18:43 (http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?act=url&depth=1&hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.ca&sl=es&tl=en&u=http://www.pasionpaternal.com.ar/2013/04/23/laba-se-va-al-toronto/&usg=ALkJrhi0D_Z92PJiCM7aLMbRfK7NUNgQlQ#comment-54999) IS IRRESPONSIBLE, WRONG INTENDED, TO LEAVE AND NO MORE RETURN, WE REPORT ON THE FUTURE, TO SEE IF WE RECEIVE THE KING'S BODY.
Califica

pablo_88 April 23, 2013 19:27 (http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?act=url&depth=1&hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.ca&sl=es&tl=en&u=http://www.pasionpaternal.com.ar/2013/04/23/laba-se-va-al-toronto/&usg=ALkJrhi0D_Z92PJiCM7aLMbRfK7NUNgQlQ#comment-55008) There are people who oppose?????? IT TOOK THE AIRPORT AND GIVE CANADIANS WITH A BOW AND GIFT WRAPPED! one yellow per game and yesterday yesterday .......... .......... laba bye, good luck and thanks for everything
Califica

This one's almost biblical....

cristian77 April 23, 2013 19:47 (http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?act=url&depth=1&hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.ca&sl=es&tl=en&u=http://www.pasionpaternal.com.ar/2013/04/23/laba-se-va-al-toronto/&usg=ALkJrhi0D_Z92PJiCM7aLMbRfK7NUNgQlQ#comment-55014)

The sad ending of this novel, I think the club's coffers can expect to June amid the context in which we live. And you Matthew, you are giving back, and go to the club that formed thee.
I have the feeling that this third outing of a player, regardless of the previous two owners were not, are the bill pass the president's current coach. Bank is hiring, but really these maneuvers, I suspect, make Caruso once we save, paste the door.
Regards

marianox April 23, 2013 20:44 (http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?act=url&depth=1&hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.ca&sl=es&tl=en&u=http://www.pasionpaternal.com.ar/2013/04/23/laba-se-va-al-toronto/&usg=ALkJrhi0D_Z92PJiCM7aLMbRfK7NUNgQlQ#comment-55016) Negociòn. The best of recent years. And eye that do not get along at all with Segura.
If a leader is opposed only to counter baseless.
This kid is an ass.
Some say out there that will play in most competitive leagues. Please! B is for Metro.
That is good besides running Laba meaningless? Somebody answer me. Able to see I did not know.
Some fans say by what they say, not by what they see (in fact, do not understand football).
Let him go already! Before they repent.
Capurro, Iñiguez, Vazquez, Navarro and even some of the reserve are Redondo beside this Flintstones.
I do not understand how it got to be five in the top-five club.
Laba Chau. It was time!

fede April 24, 2013 11:52 (http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?act=url&depth=1&hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.ca&sl=es&tl=en&u=http://www.pasionpaternal.com.ar/2013/04/23/laba-se-va-al-toronto/&usg=ALkJrhi0D_Z92PJiCM7aLMbRfK7NUNgQlQ#comment-55046) Laba: I can take a shit! Hopefully you freeze the ass in winter!
Leaders: They're a mess. You can not sell a player mid-tournament! Especially for that dosh (although Laba not worth more than that, if I want to take a mid-tournament must be in a fortune unexplained). In addition, they would have to have waited, minimum, to get well Iñiguez. -
And although almost always says Bicho boedo seem unreason, does not sound so crazy what he wrote on this occasion (Remember the Racing Marin negotiated.) -
Regards

Ah Google. You rule the world and crack us, consistently, up.

jloome
04-24-2013, 12:50 PM
Their supporters are pretty pissed about him getting sent off in a pivotal match for them that could have implications in their relegation. Many seem to think it was on purpose.

it seems to me most think we're seriously overpaying. But that may be sour grapes. A few others say they're now doomed to going down.

Jack
04-24-2013, 01:06 PM
it seems to me most think we're seriously overpaying. But that may be sour grapes. A few others say they're now doomed to going down.
I think it's a mix of them being pissed at him leaving and them trying to find the positives of getting a good fee. There is also a lot of frustration with the club. It sounds like their club hasn't been very good the last little while.

ginkster88
04-24-2013, 01:11 PM
Nice to see that one of the Argentinians is coming.

Ajax TFC
04-24-2013, 01:15 PM
I really don't give a shit how much we're paying for him. The only figure that matters to me is 200k cap hit.

ag futbol
04-24-2013, 01:21 PM
I think it's a mix of them being pissed at him leaving and them trying to find the positives of getting a good fee. There is also a lot of frustration with the club. It sounds like their club hasn't been very good the last little while.
So you're saying he's well qualified to play for us?

ryan
04-24-2013, 02:22 PM
Their anger is a positive for us. http://www.virtualsportsnetwork.com/forum/images/smilies/yep.gif

Abou Sky
04-24-2013, 03:24 PM

Hmmm... I wonder what that feels like?

ag futbol
04-24-2013, 07:47 PM
Interesting story referenced by someone on Laba's twitter feed that he re-tweeted:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/soccer-huracan-players-robbed-hooligans-break-club-015640661--sow.html

Maybe we can steal a Huracan player or two :facepalm:

ArmenJBX
04-24-2013, 10:24 PM
I asked Nelsen about Laba. He said, with a sly smile: "We're always looking to improve the squad. Matias Laba is an incredible player so if he joins the Toronto squad I'll be more than happy."

I think we can read between the lines here. Check out the post game presser vid when it comes out and you'll see the mannerisms behind the answer. It should be the last question.

T-boy
04-24-2013, 10:55 PM
"incredible player"? That's some compliment!

ProfessorDamage
04-24-2013, 11:02 PM
I asked Nelsen about Laba. He said, with a sly smile: "We're always looking to improve the squad. Matias Laba is an incredible player so if he joins the Toronto squad I'll be more than happy."

I think we can read between the lines here. Check out the post game presser vid when it comes out and you'll see the mannerisms behind the answer. It should be the last question.

I think you're spot on and we've got him signed. Nelsen's face said it all, as did the way in which he answered the question.

Corpand
04-25-2013, 12:09 AM
That's pretty much it, we got him. Some very interesting other tidbits there including why Davies and Urrutti did not work out.

"Not completely satisfied with his current roster, Toronto FC manager Ryan Nelsen is still looking to bring in a couple of players before the May 6 transfer deadline.

Though moves for Bolton midfielder Kevin Davies and midfielder Maximiliano Urruti of Newell’s Old Boys in Argentina fell through in the last two days, Nelsen is closing in on another Argentine player.
Matias Laba, a midfielder for Argentinos Juniors and a former member of Argentina’s U-20 National Team, is expected to complete a transfer to TFC by this Sunday, with an official announcement to come later this week. The 21-year-old has made 19 starts for his Buenos Aires-based club this season.

It had been previously reported that Nelsen was close to a deal with Urruti and Newell’s Old Boys, but that was before manager Gerardo Martino decided the midfielder was too important to lose in the middle of their season. On Wednesday, Davies reportedly hit a contract snag, causing his proposed move to Toronto to disintegrate."

http://www.soccerbyives.net/2013/04/ticker-closes-interested.html

Detroit_TFC
04-25-2013, 10:39 AM
Argentinos Juniors announce the deal has been accepted by their board:

http://www.argentinosjuniors.com.ar/futbol/profesional/noticias/20130424_2887

ManUtd4ever
04-25-2013, 11:04 AM
Here is a video compilation of Laba's work in the midfield. Looks like a very solid defender and distributor...

http://vimeo.com/32543613

CBTFC
04-25-2013, 01:12 PM
He's a fellow leftie! Someone on our squad who can empathize with me when it comes to 3 ring binders and scissors.

Yohan
04-25-2013, 03:58 PM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/04/25/argentinos-juniors-give-green-light-matias-laba-transfer-toronto-fc

prizby
04-26-2013, 08:02 AM
It is official now; edit thread:

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2013/04/reds-sign-midfielder-mat%C3%AD-laba

Auzzy
04-26-2013, 08:03 AM
Toronto FC ‏@torontofc (https://twitter.com/torontofc)43s (https://twitter.com/torontofc/status/327769091337236480)
#TorontoFC (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TorontoFC&src=hash) signs 21-year old Argentina midfielder Matias Laba as a Young Designated Player: http://ow.ly/ks2Jy (http://t.co/CcwCf52qwP).. #TFC (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TFC&src=hash) #MLS (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23MLS&src=hash)

EDIT Ahhh, too slow, the agony of defeat... ;)

lintberg
04-26-2013, 08:11 AM
Does anyone know if Laba is available to play tomorrow??

Sweeper
04-26-2013, 08:27 AM
Good signing, well done. I really like the way this team is shaping up.

Jack
04-26-2013, 08:31 AM
This has the potential to be a great signing. I'll wait until I see him play a half a dozen matches before I anoint him.

Detroit_TFC
04-26-2013, 08:33 AM
I'm just glad we completed a deal! Now to get through a stoppage time, then things will be ALL RIGHT!

Oldtimer
04-26-2013, 08:38 AM
Finally! A replacement for Amado Guevara!

TOBOR !
04-26-2013, 08:42 AM
Every time I see this thread I read 'LABA' as 'LABIA'.

Corpand
04-26-2013, 08:46 AM
Guys, I definitely see how Nelsen is building up even more leaders in the squad, Laba was the cap't of his team before.

He is collecting guys who are natural leaders and are able to take responsibility for their own actions. That is key to getting those extra 5% out of you when playing.

Jack
04-26-2013, 08:47 AM
Finally! A replacement for Amado Guevara!
This guy was a "5" in Argentina. That's the defensive mid who sits in front of the backline as a destroyer to break up plays. Not exactly in the Amado Guevara mould...

Don't expect nearly as much going forward from this kid as Guevara gave us.

Canary10
04-26-2013, 08:49 AM
This guy was a "5" in Argentina. That's the defensive mid who sits in front of the backline as a destroyer to break up plays. Not exactly in the Amado Guevara mould...

Let's not let him be run out of town for not scoring goals. I can just see that now. We desperately need someone who can pull the strings in midfield. If he can do that, this will be a huge signing.

ProfessorDamage
04-26-2013, 08:51 AM

Agree - this is a distribution/feeder/destroyer type of player, which is something we've lacked sorely.

My one question is: is Laba fit and ready for Saturday against NYRB?

Jack
04-26-2013, 08:52 AM
Let's not let him be run out of town for not scoring goals. I can just see that now. We desperately need someone who can pull the strings in midfield. If he can do that, this will be a huge signing.
I agree. Having a good player in that position is very important, even though he doesn't put up showy numbers.

Agree - this is a distribution/feeder/destroyer type of player, which is something we've lacked sorely.

Laba should be in mid-season form, as he just left his old club in the middle of their season. He also just played a few days ago, so I'm sure he's match fit.

Detroit_TFC
04-26-2013, 09:07 AM
In light of what Jack says, we may have to rethink our expectations about this kid. Seems like he may function more like what we had to have Frings do to keep the pressure off the back line early last season. But with a better back line now, hopefully that would make it fairly challenging for opposing teams to get scoring opportunities.

Yohan
04-26-2013, 09:18 AM

haha.
I love the 'he's an Argie midfielder. he must be a playmaker' thinking. I remember couple of people thinking Martin Saric was going to be replacement for Guevara.lol

ProfessorDamage
04-26-2013, 09:19 AM
I agree. Having a good player in that position is very important, even though he doesn't put up showy numbers.

Laba should be in mid-season form, as he just left his old club in the middle of their season. He also just played a few days ago, so I'm sure he's match fit.

Very nice. I hope also that no ITC bullshit holds up his play. Can't wait to get to BMO this weekend and see this guy trot out. Should be a tough game for NYRB, I wager.

Jack
04-26-2013, 09:22 AM
At least from what I've gleaned from reading the AAAJ supporters comments, tweets and discussions, Laba was more of a defensive pressure midfielder whose distribution wasn't the greatest, but then again, that's not exactly an unbiased point of view. Let's see how he does in MLS. So he's either a destroyer or a sort of deep playmaker, depending on what I've read so far. Maybe a box-to-box guy (would be ideal). But yeah, let's not expect Amado Guevara here g:D

Oldtimer
04-26-2013, 09:23 AM

Oh, I was hoping for someone more on the attacking end. So he's our JDG replacement, then.

T-boy
04-26-2013, 09:30 AM

He may be fit and ready, but he would have never trained with the team, so lets not rush the guy into the line up. Anyways, Jeremy Hall is playing well right now and deserves to start this Saturday.

ManUtd4ever
04-26-2013, 09:30 AM

He seems to distribute exceptionally well for a holding midfielder. We'll see how he adapts to MLS.

spark
04-26-2013, 09:32 AM
Oh, I was hoping for someone more on the attacking end. So he's our JDG replacement, then.

There's a pretty good 15 min vid of him on vimeo that, unless Nelsen decides to make him play a completely different game, makes it pretty clear what he'll offer. What he won't offer is goals, or much on the attacking end. What he will is (based on the vid mind you) is relentless tracking of the ball in our end, hard tackling, winning balls back then quickly distributing it forward.

Jack
04-26-2013, 09:32 AM
He seems to distribute exceptionally well for a holding midfielder. We'll see how he adapts to MLS.
Having never watched him play, I can't say either way. Hopefully he does the job and, as Oldtimer says, fills the role that JDG never quite could.

ManUtd4ever
04-26-2013, 09:35 AM
For those who missed it...

Here is a video compilation of Laba's work in the midfield. Looks like a very solid defender and distributor...

http://vimeo.com/32543613

Abou Sky
04-26-2013, 09:40 AM
Does anyone know if Laba is available to play tomorrow??

99.99% no.

Jack
04-26-2013, 09:42 AM
Thank you, sir!

prizby
04-26-2013, 09:42 AM
laba looks capable of using both his feet; nice to see

billyfly
04-26-2013, 09:46 AM
Majora or Minora?

Jack
04-26-2013, 09:48 AM
His ability to win the ball back and turn the play around should be a big help for us, especially because his distribution looks very solid.

sashavukelich
For all those unsure what to expect, Laba will be akin to Roger Espionoza formerly of SKC, and now of wigan in the EPL.

ag futbol
Gives you a reasonable idea what to expect. He breaks up play and sprays the ball around. Like the idea.. but let's see how he adapts.

You inevitably know some naive jackass will come on this board and complain about him not scoring goals after ten games, regardless of how he plays.

ArmenJBX
04-26-2013, 09:51 AM
Gives you a reasonable idea what to expect. He breaks up play and sprays the ball around. Like the idea.. but let's see how he adapt.

You inevitably know some naive jackass will come on this board and complain about him not scoring goals after ten games, regardless of how he plays.

So long as his defensive and distributive output is worthy of the money he is earning than I don't think there will be a problem, unlike Julian who looked lazy or ineffective more than half the time he was playing.

Greatest Ripoff
04-26-2013, 09:51 AM

Unfortunately, yes that will happen.

Jack
04-26-2013, 09:55 AM
Gives you a reasonable idea what to expect. He breaks up play and sprays the ball around. Like the idea.. but let's see how he adapts.

LOL we should start a pool for the date of the first "Laba sucks because he doesn't score" thread.

So long as his defensive and distributive output is worthy of the money he is earning than I don't think there will be a problem, unlike Julian who looked lazy or ineffective more than half the time he was playing.
Agreed. Hopefully, Laba is hungry and motivated here. He looks like he has the talent to make a big impact.

Yohan
04-26-2013, 09:57 AM

but... but... he's Argentinian! he must be creative and have ability to score goals! and he's a DP! TFC shouldn't be wasting a DP spot on a DM! even though we have 3 and still have one more spot! Fire Kevin Payne! he's worse than track suit Mariner! And Nelsen is clueless!

Whoop
04-26-2013, 10:00 AM
It is an exciting signing but I will temper my expectations until I see how he handles the physicality of the league.

Derko
04-26-2013, 10:05 AM
but... but... he's Argentinian! he must be creative and have ability to score goals! and he's a DP! TFC shouldn't be wasting a DP spot on a DM! even though we have 3 and still have one more spot! Fire Kevin Payne! he's worse than track suit Mariner! And Nelsen is clueless!

Ahh so Yohan is the culprit for starting those silly threads, the game is up my friend.:drinking:

Phil
04-26-2013, 10:08 AM
Given the amount of cautions he seems prone too, he may adapt to the phisycality of the MLS well. Proof is in the pudding though. As long as they can coach him, then they can help him with that end of the game.

The vision for distribution seems good by the vids I have seen, its just a question of the other players putting themselves in positions to benefit from the passing. There is a lot of work ahead for the team with a player like this being brought on board.

Derko
04-26-2013, 10:09 AM
It is an exciting signing but I will temper my expectations until I see how he handles the physicality of the league.

Is physicalty, newspeak or doublespeak, I am working on my Orwellian Dictionary, kind of like disrespect, overly used words. Just being tongue in cheek, Whoop! Handles himself in a Physically demanding league, right.

Derko
04-26-2013, 10:10 AM
Given the amount of cautions he seems prone too, he may adapy the phisycality of the MLS well. Proof is in the pudding though. As long as they can coach him, then they can help him with that end of the game.

The vision for distribution seems good by the vids I have seen, its just a question of the other players putting themselves in positions to benefit from the passing. There is a lot of work ahead for the team with a player like this being brought on board.

Stop it, or you will be sent to the Headmasters Office

ManUtd4ever
04-26-2013, 10:17 AM
Thank you, sir!

My pleasure.

Thomas
04-26-2013, 10:38 AM
Minora or majora?

Abou Sky
04-26-2013, 10:49 AM
From Kurt Larson:

Kurtis Larson @KurtLarSUN (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN)
Payne: We've been looking at Laba since I was in #DCUnited (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23DCUnited&src=hash)
11:44 AM - 26 Apr 2013 (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN/statuses/327810334771539968)

SWEEET!!!

ag futbol
04-26-2013, 10:51 AM
TFC shouldn't be wasting a DP spot on a DM!
You know, it's sort of funny that three or four years ago using the DP spot for a destroyer would have been seen as bad business. But after Alonso, Bekerman, Espinoza, etc... It just shows how this is perhaps the most important position on the field in terms of solidifying your team.

One good target man (or striker) + one very strong DM + two reasonably good CBs = easiest way to solidify a team in this league.

Looking at TFCs roster currently and.... Imagine that, we potentially have the first few building blocks of a team that doesn't completely suck.

Abou Sky
04-26-2013, 10:51 AM

That would make the most awesome TIFO EVER!!!!

Think about it, we could make a giant... oh, um, I mean... ya

Whoop
04-26-2013, 10:52 AM
Is physicalty, newspeak or doublespeak, I am working on my Orwellian Dictionary, kind of like disrespect, overly used words. Just being tongue in cheek, Whoop! Handles himself in a Physically demanding league, right.

Ha! LOL

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/physicality

The word comes up time to time in my scouting reports.

TOBOR !
04-26-2013, 10:55 AM
Minora or majora?

I'll decide that when I've seen him play :)

Yohan
04-26-2013, 11:11 AM
You know, it's sort of funny that three or four years ago using the DP spot for a destroyer would have been seen as bad business. But after Alonso, Bekerman, Espinoza, etc... It just shows how this is perhaps the most important position on the field in terms of solidifying your team.

One good target man (or striker) + one very strong DM + two reasonably good CBs = easiest way to solidify a team in this league.

Looking at TFCs roster currently and.... Imagine that, we potentially have the first few building blocks of a team that doesn't completely suck.
Except you can get a good DM without paying DP wages. The best DMs in the league aren't DPs.

Laba is an exception because a transfer fee was paid and he's a young DP so he only counts 200k against the cap.

billyfly
04-26-2013, 11:31 AM
Minora or majora?

Totally beat you to that.

Whoop
04-26-2013, 11:48 AM
^^

and?...

Oldtimer
04-26-2013, 11:49 AM
From Kurt Larson:

Kurtis Larson @KurtLarSUN (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN)
Payne: We've been looking at Laba since I was in #DCUnited (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23DCUnited&src=hash)
11:44 AM - 26 Apr 2013 (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN/statuses/327810334771539968)

SWEEET!!!

DC's loss is our gain.

Jack
04-26-2013, 11:50 AM
Except you can get a good DM without paying DP wages. The best DMs in the league aren't DPs.

Laba is an exception because a transfer fee was paid and he's a young DP so he only counts 200k against the cap.
True. I just hope he performs and becomes a key player for us. As long as we win matches, I don't care what the players earn g:D

Oldtimer
04-26-2013, 11:55 AM

That would make the most awesome TIFO EVER!!!!

Think about it, we could make a giant... oh, um, I mean... ya

:picard:

Let's not make fun of our own player's names. How would you feel if someone said your name sounded like [something inappropriate].... in some other language that isn't your own in the country you just moved to? Have a little sensitivity to our own player's feelings. You know that some players or their wags read the boards, the last thing he needs is jokes about this when he's trying to adjust to a new country, language, and culture. Let's support our players.

It would be like LA supporters calling Donovan "Landycakes." It just doesn't happen.

Canary10
04-26-2013, 12:01 PM

Let's not make fun of our own player's names. How would you feel if someone said your name sounded like [something inappropriate].... in some other language that isn't your own in the country you just moved to? Have a little sensitivity to our own player's feelings. You know that some players or their wags read the boards, the last thing he needs is jokes about this when he's trying to adjust to a new country, language, and culture. Let's support our players.

I'll remove it. Needed it out of the system.

Jack
04-26-2013, 12:02 PM

:rolleyes:

Funny is funny. I see nothing wrong with a joke about a funny-sounding name, regardless of language. And Argentines are pretty big "jodedores" g:D

Canary10
04-26-2013, 12:04 PM
I'm ready to be an adult again. I think.

Abou Sky
04-26-2013, 12:06 PM

It would be like LA supporters calling Donovan "Landycakes." It doesn't happen.

I don't think anyone was really making fun (I never thought Labia until it was noted) and NONE of it was mean spirited.

My last name is Saad (pronounced Sod) Now let your imagination run. Hell, start a thread dedicated to making fun of my last name if you like, I am always impressed when people can be original with it.

If you can't laugh at yourself who can you laugh at?

Oldtimer
04-26-2013, 12:10 PM
I don't think anyone was really making fun (I never thought Labia until it was noted) and NONE of it was mean spirited.

My last name is Saad (pronounced Sod) Now let your imagination run. Hell, start a thread dedicated to making fun of my last name if you like, I am always impressed when people can be original with it.

If you can't laugh at yourself who can you laugh at?

You probably haven't played on a sports team, at least not seriously. Those guys can make your life the next worst thing to a living hell.

There's a reason why Robbie Rogers didn't come out until after he was out of sports.

I know it wasn't mean spirited, but we want our players to feel welcome, and I don't think this is the way.

Canary10
04-26-2013, 12:11 PM
I was less worried about how the players may take it then, say, women.

Jack
04-26-2013, 12:16 PM
If you don't have the strength of character to take a bit of ribbing about a funny name, then you probably aren't cut out to make it very far. I've jumped over my share of candlesticks in life, climbed the odd beanstalk, hit a few roads and been "off" on many occasions, not to mention made an "ass" of myself. Most Argentines I know engage in this sort of thing on a regular basis (actually, most Latin Americans I know). Ribbing, joking, mocking and having a good time are pretty standard fare down there and part of the culture. If Laba can't settle at TFC because of a link between his name and the word "labia", then someone needs to get him a set of big boy pants, quickly. Geez...

Oldtimer
04-26-2013, 12:19 PM
^ Sure Jack, agreed, he needs to stand tall, I just don't think we should be part of the problem. Especially as this has (obviously) "girly" associations.

Auzzy
04-26-2013, 12:25 PM
Folks were wondering when Laba will be available:

Toronto FC ‏@torontofc (https://twitter.com/torontofc) 1h (https://twitter.com/torontofc/status/327811309959778305)
Payne: Laba not available this weekend, we hope by second leg v. Montreal or next weekend. #TFClive (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TFClive&src=hash) http://instagram.com/p/YktE7-Ep69/ (http://t.co/uYt6DOYqop)

John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro) 1h (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/327806981035397120)
Laba hasn't arrived in Toronto but he is en route. #TFC (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TFC&src=hash)

Let's just hope someone capable was in charge of the visa & other travel documents.... ;)

Oldtimer
04-26-2013, 12:28 PM
Folks were wondering when Laba will be available:

Toronto FC ‏@torontofc (https://twitter.com/torontofc) 1h (https://twitter.com/torontofc/status/327811309959778305)
Payne: Laba not available this weekend, we hope by second leg v. Montreal or next weekend. #TFClive (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TFClive&src=hash) http://instagram.com/p/YktE7-Ep69/ (http://t.co/uYt6DOYqop)

John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro) 1h (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/327806981035397120)
Laba hasn't arrived in Toronto but he is en route. #TFC (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TFC&src=hash)

Let's just hope someone capable was in charge of the visa & other travel documents.... ;)

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/johnmolinaro/earl-cochrane.jpg

:rolleyes5:

ManUtd4ever
04-26-2013, 12:31 PM
Is Laba allowed to play against Montreal in the second leg in accordance with the tournament regulations?

Jack
04-26-2013, 12:34 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/johnmolinaro/earl-cochrane.jpg

:rolleyes5:
Scary.

Greatest Ripoff
04-26-2013, 12:38 PM
Is Laba allowed to play against Montreal in the second leg in accordance with the tournament regulations?

was just looking at this. Here are the rules.

CLUB ROSTERS
Seven days before the Amway Canadian Championship, the clubs must submit their rosters to the Canadian Soccer Association. The roster must feature no more than 30 players. No later than 48 hours (two days) before each match, clubs must submit a list of 23 players from their roster. Sixty-five minutes before kickoff, clubs must submit an 18-player lineup with 11 starters and seven substitutions. A maximum of three of those seven substitute players can be used in the match.

Club rosters will feature a maximum of 30 players. As such, clubs that submit fewer than 30 players at the onset of the competition can then add new players until they have filled their 30 roster spots. A player must appear on the club roster to be eligible to compete in the Amway Canadian Championship. After featuring in a match with one club, a player may not appear for any other club for the duration of that season's Amway Canadian Championship.

Toronto has only submitted 24 players so far - http://www.canadasoccer.com/clubs-s15266 This means they can add 6 more players but need to submit a 23 man roster 48 hours before the match.

Abou Sky
04-26-2013, 12:50 PM
You probably haven't played on a sports team, at least not seriously. Those guys can make your life the next worst thing to a living hell.

There's a reason why Robbie Rogers didn't come out until after he was out of sports.

I know it wasn't mean spirited, but we want our players to feel welcome, and I don't think this is the way.

I don't mean to disrespect your own experiences, but I think that is a heck of a jump from Laba/Labia to being gay in a world of machismo full of players from Africa & South America where people are generally not as enlightened about homosexuality as we are.

Oldtimer
04-26-2013, 01:01 PM
I don't mean to disrespect your own experiences, but I think that is a heck of a jump from Laba/Labia to being gay in a world of machismo full of players from Africa & South America where people are generally not as enlightened about homosexuality as we are.

nahh, I haven't played on any sports teams, neither can I relate to Robbie's pain, they aren't personal experiences, but I know people who have played on teams and talked about life in the locker room. I wasn't focusing on the gay in sports issue, I was focusing on peer pressure. It's very powerful.

Giving Laba a "girly" name does tie into the whole macho thing, though. Now if his name sounded like "fart," that would be a whole different thing.

billyfly
04-26-2013, 01:02 PM
^^

and?...

And?...

Whoop
04-26-2013, 01:05 PM
If you don't have the strength of character to take a bit of ribbing about a funny name, then you probably aren't cut out to make it very far. I've jumped over my share of candlesticks in life, climbed the odd beanstalk, hit a few roads and been "off" on many occasions, not to mention made an "ass" of myself. Most Argentines I know engage in this sort of thing on a regular basis (actually, most Latin Americans I know). Ribbing, joking, mocking and having a good time are pretty standard fare down there and part of the culture. If Laba can't settle at TFC because of a link between his name and the word "labia", then someone needs to get him a set of big boy pants, quickly. Geez...

"There will be no mockery of your name, Mr. Glasscock."

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20121112213028/simpsons/images/5/54/Mr._Glascock.jpg

Whoop
04-26-2013, 01:12 PM
And?...

Who cares who made the joke first.

It's like reporters trying to take credit for breaking a story first.

"I did it first!"

billyfly
04-26-2013, 01:13 PM
^I also invented Montreal Miracle.

JuliquE
04-26-2013, 01:45 PM
I can't see how he'd be offended -- the "i" adds a whole syllable to the word and sounds quite a bit different, as a result. I don't think he would see it as making fun of him; rather, it's just a funny observation.

Anyway.. it could get a lot worse if he ends up a bust and we trade him to Dallas, like our last DP (Schellas Hymen).

Doucet3
04-26-2013, 01:51 PM

asshole :P now thats all I see when i see his name.

"labia makes a run down the centre of the pitch, ouu another hard tackle, labia has been taken a pounding all night"

Oh well id rather a labia then a hall in my mid
:scarf:

ManUtd4ever
04-26-2013, 01:56 PM
was just looking at this. Here are the rules.

CLUB ROSTERS
Seven days before the Amway Canadian Championship, the clubs must submit their rosters to the Canadian Soccer Association. The roster must feature no more than 30 players. No later than 48 hours (two days) before each match, clubs must submit a list of 23 players from their roster. Sixty-five minutes before kickoff, clubs must submit an 18-player lineup with 11 starters and seven substitutions. A maximum of three of those seven substitute players can be used in the match.

Club rosters will feature a maximum of 30 players. As such, clubs that submit fewer than 30 players at the onset of the competition can then add new players until they have filled their 30 roster spots. A player must appear on the club roster to be eligible to compete in the Amway Canadian Championship. After featuring in a match with one club, a player may not appear for any other club for the duration of that season's Amway Canadian Championship.

Toronto has only submitted 24 players so far - http://www.canadasoccer.com/clubs-s15266 This means they can add 6 more players but need to submit a 23 man roster 48 hours before the match.

Thank you kind sir. In that case, I hope he makes his debut next Wednesday.

Technorgasm
04-26-2013, 01:59 PM
You know, it's sort of funny that three or four years ago using the DP spot for a destroyer would have been seen as bad business. But after Alonso, Bekerman, Espinoza, etc... It just shows how this is perhaps the most important position on the field in terms of solidifying your team.k.

This post just saved me a few key strokes.
Exactly my sentiment. .

WELCOME TO TORONTO MATIA!
Toronto House Matia
Majour Matia
Laba, Laba Laba

http://www.90sreality.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Lambda-Lambda-Lambda.jpg

TOBOR !
04-26-2013, 02:19 PM
Cripes... all I said was that piece of halibut was good enough for Jehovah...

R_hlMK7tCks

Jack
04-26-2013, 02:21 PM
Are there any women here?

Canary10
04-26-2013, 02:52 PM
^ Oh shit. Be an adult, be an adult! I am holding my right hand with my left hand to avoid typing....

TOBOR !
04-26-2013, 03:06 PM
yeah.. the fun police are out... if they talk to you, make sure you get a card :)

Jack
04-26-2013, 03:09 PM
^ Oh shit. Be an adult, be an adult! I am holding my right hand with my left hand to avoid typing....
Sure...holding your "hand", eh? What's open in that other browser tab?

Oldtimer
04-26-2013, 03:14 PM
This thread is officially off-topic. Let's try again.

Sooo.... any guesses as to new lineups?

Dreadlocks
04-26-2013, 03:31 PM
love the scarf!!

http://instagram.com/p/YlCDR2kp1H/#http://instagram.com/p/YlCDR2kp1H/#

TearsForCheers
04-26-2013, 03:45 PM
If he's our new Guevara, can we call him El lobo Laba ?

Yohan
04-26-2013, 03:50 PM
If he's our new Guevara, can we call him El lobo Laba ?
I think we can safely say that Laba won't be the new el Lobo

Marc"2L"
04-26-2013, 04:24 PM

Outside the downtown core and over the age of 30 (maybe 26) you'll be surprised what you hear.
All I can say is I'm glad my father had zero impact on my upbringing.

Line ups! What will they be!

Ajax TFC
04-26-2013, 04:37 PM
Sooo.... any guesses as to new lineups?
Yay, my favourite part of these things
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mf4u6jmfSq1rbj4v9.gif

Possible formations:
4-3-1-2:
Bendik
Ecks - Agboss - O'Dea - Morgan
Laba
Hall - Bekker
-----------------------------
Silva
Braun - Earnie

4-2-3-1:

Bendik
Ecks - Agboss - O'dea - Morgan
Bekker - Laba
Bostock - Silva - Ephraim
Earnshaw
4-1-2-1-2:

Bendik
Laba
Lambe - - - - Ephraim
Silva
Braun - Earnshaw
4-3-3 :D:

Bendik
Laba
Osorio - Bekker
Bostock - Braun - Silva

ginkster88
04-26-2013, 04:46 PM
4-3-3 :D:

Bendik
Laba
Osorio - Bekker
Bostock - Braun - Silva

What? Braun over Earnshaw?

Never happening.

Ajax TFC
04-26-2013, 05:19 PM
What? Braun over Earnshaw?

Never happening.
That's ONE possible formation FFS. Earnshaw is 5'8" and tries to take on the defenders and shoot every time he gets the ball, vs Braun 6'3", holds up the ball well and can score with his head. So yes, in that formation I would use Braun over Earnie. When Koevermans comes back he would replace Braun in all those lineups. Earnshaw is better used to hit the other team on the break, and/or paired with someone to divide the defenders attention, not as a lone CF in a wing play reliant formation

notthesun
04-26-2013, 06:23 PM
4-1-2-1-2:

Bendik
Laba
Lambe - - - - Ephraim
Silva
Braun - Earnshaw

I think Nelsen either goes with this or a 4-4-1-1 with CMs of Hall and Laba, Silva at CF and Earnshaw ST.

Jack
04-26-2013, 06:24 PM
I think Nelsen either goes with this or a 4-4-1-1 with CMs of Hall and Laba, Silva at CF and Earnshaw ST.
I'd like to see that until Koev is fit.

After that, I'd play Koev and Earnshaw up front to see if they can work some magic, with either a diamond or flat four in the mid.

Yohan
04-26-2013, 07:07 PM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/04/26/new-toronto-fc-signing-matias-laba-eager-move-canada-ready-step-torsten-frin

Couple of quotes from Laba.

"I knew that the club wanted to sign me for a while now and they expressed interest," Laba told FutbolMLS.com from Buenos Aires. "The city, the quality of life and also the financial aspects helped me come to this decision. Now, I have to give it my all to succeed in Toronto and I see this as a chance to showcase my skills to other teams."

"It's an honor to be signed as a replacement for Frings because I know the type of player he is and I saw him play many times on TV," Laba said. "I'm a bit of a different player and someone who is not at the same level as him, because I haven't accomplished all that he has accomplished, but I will do my best to make sure his absence is not felt."Laba describes himself as a defensive midfielder who can cover a lot of ground and tries to move the ball out of midfield as quickly and cleanly as possible. He is happy for the opportunity that TFC have presented him and is anxious to begin the second phase of his career in a growing league that he believes will challenge him.
"MLS is getting bigger and bigger," said Laba. "There are big-name players here and you have to be at a good level to play here, so hopefully I can adapt fairly quickly."

PopePouri
04-26-2013, 07:16 PM
http://youtu.be/wiHhw6mzbDM

Auzzy
04-26-2013, 07:37 PM
^ Oops, $1.3 million transfer fee, no seat belts... ;)

Detroit_TFC
04-26-2013, 08:45 PM
Not going to lie, I was much more excited by the prospect of having Maxi Urruti than Laba. But circumstances conspired against Urruti and Laba is here, thankfully. It's risky, in that he's hired not for what he's done in the past but what we hope he can do in the future. But + risk leads to + reward, could be very good for both TFC and Laba, not to mention both could make a vast amount of money if he shines and gets picked up by a top team.

OgtheDim
04-26-2013, 09:04 PM
Two things

Payne said he's not been bought to stay on the bench.

&

Nelsen as much as said he's starting on Wednesday.

Abou Sky
04-26-2013, 09:38 PM
Too funny, the guy with the long hair you see at the end is one of my son's coaches, that was his suv they were coming back in.

Abou Sky
04-26-2013, 09:43 PM
Not going to lie, I was much more excited by the prospect of having Maxi Urruti than Laba.

Can't agree on that, I was lukewarm about Urruti, his highlight reel was not terribly impressive and he wasn't getting much minutes until there was an injury.

With Earnshaw, DK, Braun and Weeds + Silva & Bostock having the ability to play up top, I figured we are solid there.

Hall has gotten better, but even with Laba we STILL need at least one depth holding mid.

Yohan
04-26-2013, 09:49 PM
Can't agree on that, I was lukewarm about Urruti, his highlight reel was not terribly impressive and he wasn't getting much minutes until there was an injury.

With Earnshaw, DK, Braun and Weeds + Silva & Bostock having the ability to play up top, I figured we are solid there.

Hall has gotten better, but even with Laba we STILL need at least one depth holding mid.
Laba, Hall, Dunfield, Russell, and Bekker looks to be groomed into a DM of sorts