PDA

View Full Version : Crew faking attendce numbers

deltox
07-17-2008, 08:33 PM
i posted this in news...but it deserves the attention of this area!

please delete if you hate that i posted it twice

anyone see the article regarding columbus faking their attendence numbers?

Officially, the Crew has averaged 12,881 fans while going 5-2-1 at home. That number, which ranks 13th of 14 teams in MLS, is 262 more than in 2007, when Columbus was 3-1-4 after eight home games.
In reality, an average of 9,638 people have had tickets scanned this season.

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content...Q.html?sid=101 (http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/sports/stories/2008/07/17/crew17.ART_ART_07-17-08_C1_O2AP95Q.html?sid=101)

http://64.13.252.151/forums/picture.php?albumid=99&pictureid=559

TorCanSoc
07-17-2008, 08:38 PM
I'm sorry...wtf are unpaid tickets at BMO? 2,894 are freebies? How do I get on that program? The crew are a complete waste of time.

CretanBull
07-17-2008, 08:51 PM
^ that's not 2,894 unpaid tickets at BMO....that 2,894 unpaid tickets in Columbus vs. TFC....those would be freebies, promotions, buy 1 get 1 free type of things.

ensco
07-17-2008, 09:18 PM
this goes on with most teams, in most leagues

I'm certain the Blue Jays do it, their attendance numbers often seem far too high

it was obvious to anyone in Columbus that, excepting the TFC supporters, Crew stadium was only 1/3 full

jloome
07-17-2008, 09:45 PM
Now they're officially The Columbus Few.

(Best. Nickname. Ever.)

Edit: Plus, they have a 10-page thread of their own fans (all six) arguing amongst themselves about this story on BS right now. Great fun, footie rival troller's paradise.

TFC07
07-17-2008, 10:32 PM
My response to this:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Now watch they'll find a way to blame Toronto like they did with the streamers.

Toronto Ruffrider
07-17-2008, 11:10 PM
Columbus has really lousy attendance, but it is not the only team that historically fudged its gate numbers.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/soccer/20060927-9999-lz1s27goal.html

If it happened three seasons ago, I don't see why it's not happening today. When it comes to ticket sales as a proportion of attendance, TFC is the oddity of the league.

Cambridge_Red
07-17-2008, 11:13 PM
http://64.13.252.151/forums/picture.php?albumid=62&pictureid=560

:D

Lucky Strike
07-17-2008, 11:14 PM
Just another reason while the KKKrew should be erased from history.

werewolf
07-17-2008, 11:26 PM
My response to this:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Now watch they'll find a way to blame Toronto like they did with the streamers.

Obviously its our fault. If we didn't have such great attendance, they wouldn't feel the need to inflate theirs.

profit89
07-17-2008, 11:41 PM
just relocate these guys to montreal, everyone is happy

Cashcleaner
07-18-2008, 12:45 AM
Can't say I'm all surprised that a club like the Crew have to resort to something like this. Especially when you condier how they don't acknowledge the fact that most of our empty seats can be attributed to the Beer Garden.

Crew fans - they just love making excuses.

jayeden
07-18-2008, 02:04 AM
Can't say I'm all surprised that a club like the Crew have to resort to something like this. Especially when you condier how they don't acknowledge the fact that most of our empty seats can be attributed to the Beer Garden.

Crew fans - they just love making excuses.

they make so many, that the actual term is now

columbus fan just make excrewses

Keystone FC
07-18-2008, 02:42 AM
Now they're officially The Columbus Few.

(Best. Nickname. Ever.)

Edit: Plus, they have a 10-page thread of their own fans (all six) arguing amongst themselves about this story on BS right now. Great fun, footie rival troller's paradise.

I just came from BS and read some of the stuff these guys are posting. And I thought WE were bad. At least when we gripe about the media in T.O. it's almost all legit. The Dispatch just ran a TRUE story about attendance and they are up in arms about it.
I personally would hate to see the Crew move to either Montreal/Vancouver/St. Louis/Philly. That would put Chicago as my nearest point of MLS contact to see TFC other than in Toronto, BUT I keep saying if attendance keeps sliding, the FO can't fix some of the external stadium issues that they want, and they miss the playoffs for another 3 years...I would have to say the Crew would look elsewhere to be a sorry excuse for a F'n Crew.

13CP
07-18-2008, 04:49 AM
http://64.13.252.151/forums/picture.php?albumid=62&pictureid=560

:D

Oh ya. that looks like 12,000 to me :)........or 12

RealG-TFC
07-18-2008, 05:50 AM
In their defence (:ack2:), their FO sucks utter donkey balls.

Dave67
07-18-2008, 07:27 AM
To make it even worse if 2,000 + TFC fans did not boost the opening attendance the average would drop another 250 or so.

Fort York Redcoat
07-18-2008, 07:29 AM
Honestly I feel sorry for them. Birthplace of the league with the first SSS. They could have a little more pride in that.

redcard
07-18-2008, 07:40 AM
it's a matter of time...that shit hole is not a soccer town, its time to move the crew to St. Louis...give montreal and vancouver their own teams, we dont Canadian teams to have a legacy of the crew behind them...

Cashcleaner
07-18-2008, 01:51 PM
I just came from BS and read some of the stuff these guys are posting. And I thought WE were bad. At least when we gripe about the media in T.O. it's almost all legit. The Dispatch just ran a TRUE story about attendance and they are up in arms about it.

I personally would hate to see the Crew move to either Montreal/Vancouver/St. Louis/Philly. That would put Chicago as my nearest point of MLS contact to see TFC other than in Toronto, BUT I keep saying if attendance keeps sliding, the FO can't fix some of the external stadium issues that they want, and they miss the playoffs for another 3 years...I would have to say the Crew would look elsewhere to be a sorry excuse for a F'n Crew.

Yeah, I snuck a peek at the BS boards as well and had a chuckle. According to a few Crew fans, the newspaper in question has an anti-soccer bias because it just happens to be reporting the truth.

All said, my favourite was the guy saying that fans shouldn't be expected to market their team to others and that generating interest in the club and sport was up to the front office.

With an attitude like that, no wonder they're not even getting 10,000+ at Crew stadium.

Kickit09
07-18-2008, 02:04 PM
things started to go wrong when they named the team the "Crew". :crazy:

jloome
07-18-2008, 02:20 PM
Yeah, I snuck a peek at the BS boards as well and had a chuckle. According to a few Crew fans, the newspaper in question has an anti-soccer bias because it just happens to be reporting the truth.

All said, my favourite was the guy saying that fans shouldn't be expected to market their team to others and that generating interest in the club and sport was up to the front office.

With an attitude like that, no wonder they're not even getting 10,000+ at Crew stadium.

And shamefully, most of the hardcores AGREED with him. I kid you not.

GBV
07-18-2008, 02:57 PM
things started to go wrong when they named the team the "Crew". :crazy:

yeah, horrific team name, gaudy uniforms, and a "star" player who looks like he's tesla's tour bus d(r)iver.

Rudi
07-18-2008, 03:46 PM
Come on, guys. Don't be so hard on Columbus. Their supporters group culture is growing.

Here's an example of them showing the rest of us how it's done. I don't know how they did it, but they managed to get all of the Columbus supporters together in one single place to record this...

uA_Lgbo8kxE

:D:D

Kevvv
07-18-2008, 03:48 PM
^ who sang that? She sounds HOT!

GabrielHurl
07-18-2008, 03:50 PM
Come on, guys. Don't be so hard on Columbus. Their supporters group culture is growing.

Here's an example of them showing the rest of us how it's done. I don't know how they did it, but they managed to get all of the Columbus supporters together in one single place to record this...

uA_Lgbo8kxE

that's the most awesomest thing ever

We have officially completed the internet

akoto
07-18-2008, 04:16 PM

That is both the greatest AND saddest thing I have ever seen!

onemanbarmyarmy
07-18-2008, 04:30 PM
Someone actually did that? You can't write that stuff. I am amazed. That's it. This is the soccer supporter equivalent of the light saber kid.

Keystone FC
07-19-2008, 04:02 AM

If I were a Crew fan (:lol::rofl::hand:) I would be very concerned about the future of the franchise with these numbers and the fact that they have no marketing or advertising base. I truely believe if you want to see the demise of a soccer team just before they go under...I say look at the Crew.

Cashcleaner
07-19-2008, 09:58 AM
^ who sang that? She sounds HOT!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/a/ab/Queen_Etherea.JPG/180px-Queen_Etherea.JPG

(Useless if you don't know the Venture Brothers)