PDA

View Full Version : TORONTO FC lands a pair of Argentines.

tfcmanu
04-03-2013, 01:32 PM
http://metronews.ca/sports/619747/toronto-fc-lands-a-pair-of-argentines/

TORONTO – Reinforcements are on the way to Toronto FC.
The Canadian Press has learned that the MLS franchise has finalized deals for Argentine striker Maximiliano Urrutti and an Argentine midfielder.
Both are expected at the club by the end of the month.
Toronto FC is also working on landing an attacking midfielder in the summer.
The 22-year-old Urrutti, who plays for Newell’s Old Boys, has been reported a target of Toronto, although club officials have referred only to chasing an Argentine forward.
The club is looking at possibly categorizing one of the Argentines as a so-called “young designated player.”
Only $200,000 of the annual salary of a DP aged 21 to 23 counts against the club’s salary cap, less if signed mid-season.

Razor
04-03-2013, 01:37 PM
end of the month?

damn, wish it was sooner than that but if this is true then i'm very excited for upcoming season.

ManUtd4ever
04-03-2013, 01:39 PM
Nice.

REDJUVE
04-03-2013, 01:39 PM
Halleluiah !

TOBOR !
04-03-2013, 01:40 PM
hey, he could have said clementines.

woolly
04-03-2013, 01:54 PM
hey, he could have said clementines.

Orange you glad he didn't?

Luanda
04-03-2013, 02:02 PM
who is that MF?

TOBOR !
04-03-2013, 02:08 PM
HA HA - ^ how did I not see that coming ?

Yohan
04-03-2013, 02:12 PM
as far as I'm concerned, this is a non announcement until I see these argentinians holding up a TFC jersey...

and to keep expectations low, argentinians doesn't mean good. Kevin Payne's record with argentinians have been so-so

Abou Sky
04-03-2013, 02:15 PM
as far as I'm concerned, this is a non announcement until I see these argentinians holding up a TFC jersey...

and to keep expectations low, argentinians doesn't mean good. Kevin Payne's record with argentinians have been so-so

More piss in your cornflakes sir?

Why I would love some, thank you so much.

gmacpheetfc
04-03-2013, 02:21 PM
Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

more piss in your cornflakes sir?

why i would love some, thank you so much.

Yohan
04-03-2013, 02:22 PM
More piss in your cornflakes sir?

Why I would love some, thank you so much.
I learned to lay off the kool aid this season, esp with KP's Argentinian record. *shrug* too many junk signings from there for my liking. expensive ones too. come to think of it, other than Christian Gomez, I can't think of 1 Argentinian signing that worked out for DC United while KP was in charge

reggie
04-03-2013, 02:42 PM
i see white smoke over bmo...

moralis
04-03-2013, 02:49 PM
Remember guys Max Urruti is still playing for Newell's Old Boys and might play tomorrow for Newell's in Copa Libertadores:

http://espnfc.com/scores/_/league/conmebol.libertadores/copa-libertadores?cc=5901

http://espnfc.com/team/fixtures/_/league/arg.1/id/14/newells-old-boys?cc=5901

Praying he doesn't get injured.

Technorgasm
04-03-2013, 02:53 PM
Way out wide, on the wing, I will be waiting. .
DIVINE ARGENTINE.
IF you pass, down the pitch, I will ALWAYS be waiting.
DIVINE ARGENTINE.

http://youtu.be/VdQY7BusJNU

Oldtimer
04-03-2013, 02:58 PM
I learned to lay off the kool aid this season, esp with KP's Argentinian record. *shrug* too many junk signings from there for my liking. expensive ones too. come to think of it, other than Christian Gomez, I can't think of 1 Argentinian signing that worked out for DC United while KP was in charge

Gomez was an MLS top 11 for 3 years in a row, that's a pretty good find.
Most of what he signed were depth players, I can't really think of too many expensive ones.

Back in the day, Mario Gori was a decent midfielder.

tfcmanu
04-03-2013, 03:00 PM
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xv86ju_madonna-don-t-cry-for-me-argentina_music

Yohan
04-03-2013, 03:35 PM
Gomez was an MLS top 11 for 3 years in a row, that's a pretty good find.
Most of what he signed were depth players, I can't really think of too many expensive ones.

Back in the day, Mario Gori was a decent midfielder.
Well, there was the Marcelo Gallardo gaff. Excellent player. Couldn't adapt to MLS for one. There was an argentinian CB... Gonzalo something who ate a lot of cap space and was a bust.

spark
04-03-2013, 03:37 PM

Well his record with UK players wasn't that great either. Bottom line is that was DC, this is Toronto. Onstad wasn't the scout at DC in 08 (obvs), and Nelsen and O'Leary weren't the coaches. Point being he's getting recs from a different group of people than 5-8 years ago that IMO really wipes most of that clean as Payne will likely be making his decisions based on the info they are giving him. I do agree/think this is wait and see because this will be Onstad's first real go at scouting and we don't have much to go on how good his eye is for talent.

Detroit_TFC
04-03-2013, 03:47 PM
Well, in any case, it's a promising development to get at least some mention of it. Was starting to think the deal fell apart. I agree-shirt, picture, smiling player-then I will celebrate.

Red I
04-03-2013, 04:07 PM
Isn't it usually 2 sources to say it's more than just a rumour??... To be fair, Davidson is one of the best in the business, but I need a confirmation from someone else before I start getting excited...

Man, end of the month? And they'll probably need some time to adjust. Still, can't help but feel a lot more optimistic about what this team will look like when the build is complete.

Shakes McQueen
04-03-2013, 04:08 PM
Way out wide, on the wing, I will be waiting. .
DIVINE ARGENTINE.
IF you pass, down the pitch, I will ALWAYS be waiting.
DIVINE ARGENTINE.

http://youtu.be/VdQY7BusJNU

I feel like you've had this post saved in a .txt file for years, just waiting to use it.

- Scott

MartinUtd
04-03-2013, 04:11 PM
Globe and Mail also ran the same story

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/toronto-fc-lands-argentine-striker-urrutti/article10727196/

All this talk of forwards and attacking mids has me worried. Earnshaw is doing great so far, as is Bostock. Silva needs more minutes and we're still lacking good holding mid. I hope that other players...whoever he is is an upgrade from Caesar/Hall/Dunfield.

Red I
04-03-2013, 04:18 PM

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/toronto-fc-lands-argentine-striker-urrutti/article10727196/

All this talk of forwards and attacking mids has me worried. Earnshaw is doing great so far, as is Bostock. Silva needs more minutes and we're still lacking good holding mid. I hope that other players...whoever he is is an upgrade from Caesar/Hall/Dunfield.

Toronto FC lands Argentine striker Urrutti
TORONTO — The Canadian PressIt's still Candian Press's lead...

69Chevy396
04-03-2013, 06:29 PM
We should concentrate instead on home grown talent. Eventually, this will give us more hard working, dedicated players who will always give us 110 percent effort. After all, who needs talent, skill and creativity when u have blood, sweat and tears....i would prefer a team of Argentine half wits and drunks over the endless stream of crap we have endured over the years.

[NBF]
04-03-2013, 06:56 PM
If they're Argentine, the likely hood for a callup at 21-23 is very unlikely, so thats a plus, but thats quite a few attacking midfielders on the roster, either KP is anticipating the recall of Bostock and Ephraim or there's an interest on Luis Silva. Either way, you cannot say at all that KP gets shit done. Must be one hell of a bonus coming his way for getting TFC into the playoffs.

Ivy
04-03-2013, 07:17 PM
;1571449']If they're Argentine, the likely hood for a callup at 21-23 is very unlikely, so thats a plus, but thats quite a few attacking midfielders on the roster, either KP is anticipating the recall of Bostock and Ephraim or there's an interest on Luis Silva. Either way, you cannot say at all that KP gets shit done. Must be one hell of a bonus coming his way for getting TFC into the playoffs. ... I thought its early April... but apparently its August... of 2014

:)

Dunfield, Lambe and Hall... be afraid, be very afraid.

scooter
04-03-2013, 08:08 PM
totally agree only sad part will be dunny he has given his heart for the badge

Ivy
04-03-2013, 08:13 PM
I can see Terry staying as a bench warmer. He's not expensive, works hard, and is Canadian.

jimiv
04-03-2013, 08:40 PM
... I thought its early April... but apparently its August... of 2014

:)

Dunfield, Lambe and Hall... be afraid, be very afraid.

I'd be more afraid if I was Lambe as the only international spot amongst those three!

Alonso
04-03-2013, 08:44 PM

Have to agree.

Pictures or it didn't happen.

BuSaPuNk
04-03-2013, 08:46 PM
Exactly there hasn't even been a story posted to TFC website or any form of conformation from the club. Makes me wonder with this story out for most of the day.

Technorgasm
04-03-2013, 08:48 PM
I feel like you've had this post saved in a .txt file for years, just waiting to use it.

- Scott
sice year one!
i saw the titler. and i POUNCED!!

FluSH
04-03-2013, 08:59 PM
1. Our record with Latin Americans hasn't been that great... I dunno but only Plata and Amado have impressed me in the past.
2. Having two, means that one of them hopefully speaks english and can translate! lol
3. Make way for Boca Juniors and/or River Plate drums at BMO! You heard it here first!

T-boy
04-03-2013, 09:58 PM
1. Our record with Latin Americans hasn't been that great... I dunno but only Plata and Amado have impressed me in the past.
2. Having two, means that one of them hopefully speaks english and can translate! lol
3. Make way for Boca Juniors and/or River Plate drums at BMO! You heard it here first!

You could say that about almost any nationality! Until this season our record with British isn't great either, but Bostock, Eckersley, Earnshaw, Ephraim all look pretty decent this season!

Abou Sky
04-03-2013, 10:20 PM

+1

We need a vet DM and DK back in the box, I hope Urruti is a target man like DK, but he is 6' and 2" makes a difference.

Abou Sky
04-03-2013, 10:27 PM
I can see Terry staying as a bench warmer. He's not expensive, works hard, and is Canadian.

We could start a collection at every game to keep him in the shirt.

Even most who don't like him don't want him out the door, they just don't want him starting.

I will always clap and cheer for him, I think he is fantastic... I wish he was my bff, we could be just like Dennis Rodman and Kim-Jong-Un

brad
04-04-2013, 07:56 AM
A couple of points on some comments above

-the fact that it isn't on the TFC site yet means nothing as that is pretty much always the last place to report it. They have to wait until things are official with the league (obviously) and that usually takes a while. Usually all the TFC beat reports report out stuff well in advance.
-Yoahn is right about tempered expectations. Not just because of where they are from - but in general. We all get too excited (or too negative) about potential signings based on where they are from, what level they played at wiki goal stats, ect, etc. More often that not -we are way off base. I've been as guilty as any on this in the past - this year I am taking a wait and see approach.

brad
04-04-2013, 07:59 AM
Also - the article says we are signing an "Argentinian midfielder" - not an "Argentinian attacking mid". This player could be a solid holding mid or a box to box player.

It also says another attacking mid in the summer. Until we see who that is, judgement needs to be held. We have options, but there is room for upgrade in that role IMHO.

levyashin
04-04-2013, 08:12 AM
There's always room to upgrade!
For every player we have ,there is a better one that is available,somewhere.
All it takes is knowledge and money to make it happen.
We as fans of this club deserve far better than has been given in the first5 years.
IT IS ABOUT TIME WE HAD A GOOD TEAM

BuSaPuNk
04-04-2013, 08:27 AM
A couple of points on some comments above

-the fact that it isn't on the TFC site yet means nothing as that is pretty much always the last place to report it. They have to wait until things are official with the league (obviously) and that usually takes a while. Usually all the TFC beat reports report out stuff well in advance.

I know that but any offical word from the club usually come in the 24 hours after its reported by the beat writers. Just that there is no confirmation leads me to believe its not done yet and not to expect it until the club says its done.

Not getting worked up about potential deals that might never pan out.

Carts
04-04-2013, 08:34 AM
I know that but any offical word from the club usually come in the 24 hours after its reported by the beat writers. Just that there is no confirmation leads me to believe its not done yet and not to expect it until the club says its done.

I gotta agree...

While the TFC site might be slow to get stories up, once SportsNet, TSN, the Star, etc have it, if it's "DONE" there would at least be a twitter from someone at the club to cash in on the exposure, media stories, etc etc etc...

Not saying it won't happen, but the old saying "don't count your chickens until they hatch" is something I have learned supporting football (any club, anywhere!)...

I'm HOPEFUL, but I'm not calling it gospel just yet...

TOBOR !
04-04-2013, 08:46 AM
1. Our record with professional footballers hasn't been that great...

fixed your post.

brad
04-04-2013, 11:26 AM

I don't think its done either - it's usually all over twitter from the beat reporters when something happens. I haven't seen that yet.

BuSaPuNk
04-04-2013, 11:43 AM
^ Agreed just weird that major news orgs would be running the story and hasn't been anyword from beat reporters like Duane or Molinario.

Jpexxx
04-04-2013, 11:45 AM
Kurtis Larson ‏@KurtLarSUN (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN)10m (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN/status/319850402671632384)
Urruti is done. As for the other guy, CP is the only one to report on him. RT @Kam_Ivan (https://twitter.com/Kam_Ivan): @KurtLarSUN (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN) TFC Argentines... Done deal or not?

BuSaPuNk
04-04-2013, 11:57 AM
^ Okay some clarification atleast. Wonder why it's going to take little under a month for him to make the move here though.

Oldtimer
04-04-2013, 12:35 PM
^ Agreed just weird that major news orgs would be running the story and hasn't been anyword from beat reporters like Duane or Molinario.

With all due respects, I wouldn't put Duane in as a "reporter" in the same sense as Molinaro, or Larson for the matter.

mowe
04-04-2013, 01:46 PM
Red Patch Boys - Where people go out of their way to belittle Duane Rollins.

Anyway I find it interesting that only Neil Davidson knew about the second Argentine. Someone on the CSN comment section had the theory that maybe TFC paid a little extra for Urruti and his club throws in another player on a free transfer. Helps us out cap-wise and it's all the same to Newell's Old Boys. Maybe getting this double transaction approved is what's causing the hold up?

TOBOR !
04-04-2013, 01:52 PM
thick skins on, people. thick skins on.

Anyway, I think we're getting Maxi Rodriguez. Pure speculation.

edit - no, not really...

FreekAce
04-05-2013, 11:28 AM
Red Patch Boys - Where people go out of their way to belittle Duane Rollins.

agreed. can't even mention his name around here without the same old reactions every time. i prefer reading Duane's stories over several of the "pro" writers most of the time, and am glad we have guys like him covering this club. i'll take his story over a muppet like Kelly or a guy like Larson who with his drivel on short pants last year completely lost me.

TOBOR !
04-05-2013, 11:40 AM
Meh. I think the dump on Duane era is long over. Time we moved on.