PDA

View Full Version : Pre/In/Post - Game 5: FC Dallas at TFC, Sat 6 Apr, 4pm

Pages : [1] 2

Yohan
03-31-2013, 10:30 AM
Dallas is coming off a 1-0 win at New England and is tied for 1st in the league right now. How's that for a shocker

My wish for lineup

------------Bendik
Eckersley-Califf-O'Dea-Morgan
Bostock-Dunfield-Osorio-Ephraim
------------Silva
------------Earnshaw

-I can see Nelsen sticking with Russell for one more week, but even money that Morgan gets a start again
-Sticking with Califf for now, but I didn't think he had a good game. Partially at fault for Villareal golazo, and also Landycakes breakaway when he was step too slow tracking his player again
-Didn't think Lambe had a terrible game, but I think Ephraim fits better. I can also see Nelsen stick with Lambe
-Osorio deserves a start, just because he's better at CM defensively (though not much better) than Bekker, plus confidence counts. And TFC needs some sort of CM who can make a pass through the middle
-Silva needs to play behind Earnshaw. He's every bit an upgrade over Ephraim at AM

Also, TFC reserves vs FC Dallas reserves at BMO Field, 7pm, after the 1st team game

PopePouri
03-31-2013, 10:36 AM
Dallas aren't that good of a side and they'll have to come down sometime.

Yohan
03-31-2013, 10:37 AM
this is what people are saying about Chivas USA too. but you are right. Dallas is about the streakiest team in MLS.

OgtheDim
03-31-2013, 10:51 AM
That NE/Dallas game was easily the worst played match of the week. I think we can do this.

Yohan
03-31-2013, 12:27 PM
If you hate Kenny Cooper clap your hands *clap clap*
If you hate Kenny Cooper, cuz he takes it up the pooper
-BMO Field, circa 2008

Yohan
03-31-2013, 12:37 PM
Also, TFC reserves vs FC Dallas reserves at BMO Field, 7pm, after the 1st team game

Toronto FC vs. FC Dallas
BMO Field (4:00pm ET)
REFEREE: ISMAIL ELFATH
ASST 1: Kermit Quisenberry
ASST 2: Kevin Klinger
4TH: Mathieu Bourdeau

levyashin
03-31-2013, 12:46 PM
Coulda,shouda,wouda,yesterday,against L.A.points dropped.---Bendix(6)---Russell(4)---Califf(5)---Odea(6)---Eckersley(6)---Dunfield(6)---Hall(4)---Bostock(4)---Ephraim(4)---Lambe(4)---Earnshaw(7)--------Silva(7)---Osario(7)
Dallas are beatable,this SHOULD be 3 points.
Silva should start over Hall/Morgan over Russell/Osario over Lambe---Light a fire under Ephraim and Bostock or tell them it's over in June.

tfc2008
03-31-2013, 12:49 PM

Not good but 12 points!!!!

tfc2008
03-31-2013, 12:50 PM
If you hate Kenny Cooper, cuz he takes it up the pooper
-BMO Field, circa 2008

Wo gone score Kenny Cooper always when you do thinks like that.

Abou Sky
03-31-2013, 01:22 PM
I'm thinking that Morgan didn't play because he just flew in from Qatar, not because Russell was better in Nelsen's eyes.

I would guess :

----------Bendik
Ecks-Califf- O'Dea - Morgan
Bostock - Hall - Dunny - Ephraim
- Silva
-Earnshaw

JayMolly
03-31-2013, 01:42 PM
I'm thinking that Morgan didn't play because he just flew in from Qatar, not because Russell was better in Nelsen's eyes.

I would guess :

----------Bendik
- Silva
-Earnshaw

Sky we are on the same page . . .
Ecks back as a RB, Morgan in and Russell out and Silva deserves a start.

Heart of Stone
03-31-2013, 03:48 PM
Hopefully a good crowd... weather looks good. 7 and sunny.

RedsYNWA
03-31-2013, 08:34 PM
Please no Bendik....aside from a nice save he booted half his kicks into touch. My whole section starting keeping count in the second half and you know thats bad when every drunk noticed half a dozen goal kicks going out.

Canary10
03-31-2013, 08:41 PM
this is what people are saying about Chivas USA too. but you are right. Dallas is about the streakiest team in MLS.

I watched the Vancouver-Chivas game. Chivas were all over them. Full value for the win. Not so much a laughing stock right now.

Yohan
03-31-2013, 08:47 PM
Please no Bendik....aside from a nice save he booted half his kicks into touch. My whole section starting keeping count in the second half and you know thats bad when every drunk noticed half a dozen goal kicks going out.
on positive note, you know your GK situation isn't so bad when the biggest fault criticized on a GK is his distribution.
This is MLS. there are very few GKs in the league who can distribute well

notthesun
04-01-2013, 12:12 AM
Agreed with the starting lineup in the OP.

I'd like to see Welshman and Bekker come off the bench.

Stryker
04-01-2013, 02:46 AM
Ephraim has a lot of talent but he needs time to gel with his teammates and a DM he can trust passing back to instead of having to always try to force the ball to forwards when the lanes are blocked.

mook-life
04-01-2013, 05:20 AM

Toronto FC vs. FC Dallas
BMO Field (4:00pm ET)
REFEREE: ISMAIL ELFATH
ASST 1: Kermit Quisenberry
ASST 2: Kevin Klinger
4TH: Mathieu Bourdeau

Are we allowed to stay and watch the reserve games?

cincy
04-01-2013, 06:24 AM
Are we allowed to stay and watch the reserve games? Yes, everyone usually gets ushered to one side of the stadium ( East side in seasons past ) and I don't think concessions stay open. Not very many people stay ( few hundred )

mook-life
04-01-2013, 06:39 AM
I'm def gonna check it out

fergiejr
04-01-2013, 09:06 AM
Planning on staying for the reserve game this weekend. I do have one question though, can we leave and get back in the stadium, or do we have to stick around in BMO until the game starts? My wife wants to get some autographs on her jacket after the game.

Fort York Redcoat
04-01-2013, 09:55 AM
Planning on staying for the reserve game this weekend. I do have one question though, can we leave and get back in the stadium, or do we have to stick around in BMO until the game starts? My wife wants to get some autographs on her jacket after the game.

I'm not authorized to tell you "yes" but if they don't let you back in to a free game after you telling them why and showing them autographs I'd be pretty damn unimpressed.

I'll ask them for you though.

Fort York Redcoat
04-01-2013, 10:20 AM
Dallas is coming off a 1-0 win at New England and is tied for 1st in the league right now. How's that for a shocker

My wish for lineup

------------Bendik
Eckersley-Califf-O'Dea-Morgan
Bostock-Dunfield-Osorio-Ephraim
------------Silva
------------Earnshaw

-I can see Nelsen sticking with Russell for one more week, but even money that Morgan gets a start again
-Sticking with Califf for now, but I didn't think he had a good game. Partially at fault for Villareal golazo, and also Landycakes breakaway when he was step too slow tracking his player again
-Didn't think Lambe had a terrible game, but I think Ephraim fits better. I can also see Nelsen stick with Lambe
-Osorio deserves a start, just because he's better at CM defensively (though not much better) than Bekker, plus confidence counts. And TFC needs some sort of CM who can make a pass through the middle
-Silva needs to play behind Earnshaw. He's every bit an upgrade over Ephraim at AM

After watching the highlights I'm not that impressed. That was not Dallas' best game so far. I think a win for us not out of the realm of possibility and will expect at least a point.

bigredone
04-01-2013, 12:34 PM
Hopefully a good crowd... weather looks good. 7 and sunny.

Hopefully the team will eat their Osori-O's for breakfast!

ensco
04-01-2013, 12:50 PM
The forecast is for 5 degrees at game time. Could be windy. Nelsen needs to hold long outdoor practices 3 or 4 times on the lakeshore this week.

Abou Sky
04-01-2013, 09:04 PM
Ephraim has a lot of talent but he needs time to gel with his teammates and a DM he can trust passing back to instead of having to always try to force the ball to forwards when the lanes are blocked.

What he needs is someone to play with. Silva fits the bill pretty well if slotted behind Earnshaw and Ephraim on the left.

Note about both Ephraim and Earnshaw, they defend. That is a big deal.

Lambe and Becker are athletic I would love to see Ephraim on left with Lambe/Becks come in at 70-75 and tear up the pitch.

Walms
04-03-2013, 09:26 AM
What he needs is someone to play with. Silva fits the bill pretty well if slotted behind Earnshaw and Ephraim on the left.

Note about both Ephraim and Earnshaw, they defend. That is a big deal.

Lambe and Becker are athletic I would love to see Ephraim on left with Lambe/Becks come in at 70-75 and tear up the pitch.

I agree Silva and Ephraim will be a great attcking force and get great service into Earnshaw, in my mind I'm almost seeing a 4-2-3-1 with Bos playing more defesinvly on the Right (allowing Ecks to overlap) and allowing Beck to spray some more pass's threw the Midfield......

Earnshaw
Ephraim/ Silva/ Bos
Dunny/ Beckker
Ash/ Danny/Odea/ Ecks

It probably won't happen as listed above but Id like to see something along these lines

Ajax TFC
04-03-2013, 09:35 AM
I agree Silva and Ephraim will be a great attcking force and get great service into Earnshaw, in my mind I'm almost seeing a 4-2-3-1 with Bos playing more defesinvly on the Right (allowing Ecks to overlap) and allowing Beck to spray some more pass's threw the Midfield......

Earnshaw
Ephraim/ Silva/ Bos
Dunny/ Beckker
Ash/ Danny/Odea/ Ecks

It probably won't happen as listed above but Id like to see something along these lines
Really? I have a hard time seeing Bostock willingly playing more defensively. Although that front four is exactly what Bekker needs in front of him to be effective. But I'm not sure about the defensive capabilities of that lineup. I'd try Osorio instead of Bekker. If he proves to be solid defensively over 90, than start Osorio and Bekker eventually. Now how awesome would that be? Two talented and spatially aware CMs? when was the last time that happened?

Walms
04-03-2013, 09:45 AM
Really? I have a hard time seeing Bostock willingly playing more defensively. Although that front four is exactly what Bekker needs in front of him to be effective. But I'm not sure about the defensive capabilities of that lineup. I'd try Osorio instead of Bekker. If he proves to be solid defensively over 90, than start Osorio and Bekker eventually. Now how awesome would that be? Two talented and spatially aware CMs? when was the last time that happened?

Soooooo Awesome, I agree Osorio would also work vary well, but from what I have seen he is best used as a super sub (I use that term loosly) and comes into a game as a firecracker off the bench. Id rather see Beck start and Jonothan come in around the 60-70th

Yohan
04-03-2013, 09:51 AM
I think the 'empty bucket' formation is eventually what Nelsen is aiming for. 2 smart DMs who can play a box to box role to support in attack, but is aware positionally and can communicate effectively so that one guy attacks while the other stays back.

A healthy Frings would have been awesome right now, combined with Osorio who is on the fast track right now. He hasn't really been tested defensively, but is showing a lot of good stuff to play a box to box role. I want to see how good he is defensively

Canary10
04-03-2013, 09:55 AM
Soooooo Awesome, I agree Osorio would also work vary well, but from what I have seen he is best used as a super sub (I use that term loosly) and comes into a game as a firecracker off the bench. Id rather see Beck start and Jonothan come in around the 60-70th

I've seen Osorio play for all of the 15-20 minutes he played the last game. But.....it's been a while since I've seen someone so comfortable on the ball and willing to slow it down, hold on to it and look around. He is all calmness on the ball. Throughout the first half Earnshaw made quite a few runs that our two central midfielders (who shall remain nameless) didn't pick up because of their lack of awareness and ability to look up. When Osorio came on, he saw those runs, and fed a few nice slide rule passes that were inches from getting in behind the defence and releasing Earnie.

Fifteen minutes isn't a lot of time to really see someone, but you can kind of see when a player is on another level in terms of intelligence and ability on the ball. I think he is. He could be very good and building block for us long term. I hope TFC doesn't ruin him. So, don't start him yet. Give him the last half hour of games, especially if we are needing a goal. GIve him time to work into it.

cincy
04-03-2013, 09:58 AM
Planning on staying for the reserve game this weekend. I do have one question though, can we leave and get back in the stadium, or do we have to stick around in BMO until the game starts? My wife wants to get some autographs on her jacket after the game. Technically No, you can't leave and come back. Anyways the reserve games usually start soon after (maybe 20-30 minutes after the league game has finished) and I doubt the first team players would be leaving by then. But up to you.

jloome
04-03-2013, 11:21 AM
I've seen Osorio play for all of the 15-20 minutes he played the last game. But.....it's been a while since I've seen someone so comfortable on the ball and willing to slow it down, hold on to it and look around. He is all calmness on the ball. Throughout the first half Earnshaw made quite a few runs that our two central midfielders (who shall remain nameless) didn't pick up because of their lack of awareness and ability to look up. When Osorio came on, he saw those runs, and fed a few nice slide rule passes that were inches from getting in behind the defence and releasing Earnie.

Fifteen minutes isn't a lot of time to really see someone, but you can kind of see when a player is on another level in terms of intelligence and ability on the ball. I think he is. He could be very good and building block for us long term. I hope TFC doesn't ruin him. So, don't start him yet. Give him the last half hour of games, especially if we are needing a goal. GIve him time to work into it.

I generally agree, but an occasional start isn't going to ruin the kid, as a reward for good play. Dallas is a creative team, and I think either one of Osorio or Silva should be starting. If it's the latter we can always punt Ephraim to the wing, which is his natural spot anyway, sit Lambe.

BuSaPuNk
04-03-2013, 11:43 AM
I think how well Osorio and Silva were when they came on against LA that Neilsen would probably start them as a reward. Seems like the kind of coach that awards good play.

Brooker
04-03-2013, 12:21 PM
For the love of god I hope Hassli isn't starting.

Yohan
04-03-2013, 12:37 PM
For the love of god I hope Hassli isn't starting.
Blas Perez and Kenny Cooper are in form. Hassli can't even get a sniff game mins right now

Abou Sky
04-03-2013, 12:38 PM

Earnshaw
Ephraim/ Silva/ Bos
Dunny/ Beckker
Ash/ Danny/Odea/ Ecks

Funny because I have similar (that also won't happen) but I wonder about 4-3-2-1
Bendik
Ecks/Odea/Califf/Morgan
Bostock/Dunny/Hall
Silva/Ephraim
Earnshaw

If we had more quality in Dunny & Hall it could happen and possibly work but we don't...

Canary10
04-03-2013, 12:48 PM
Blas Perez and Kenny Cooper are in form. Hassli can't even get a sniff game mins right now

I wouldn't call them in form. They have 2 goals between them. Most of Dallas' goals are coming from their midfield. But Hassli hasn't got a sniff, yeah. I wouldn't be surprised to see him start though.

MartinUtd
04-03-2013, 01:24 PM

Wow, totally forgot about Hassli being at FCD. He must really be hating his MLS experience.

MartinUtd
04-03-2013, 01:31 PM
Here's the line up I'd like to see

-----------Onstad---------
Ecks--Nelson--Odea--Morgan
----------Dunfield----------
Bostock---Osorio------Ephraim
-----------Silva------------
---------Earnshaw----------

Oh well.

OgtheDim
04-03-2013, 01:47 PM
Wow, totally forgot about Hassli being at FCD. He must really be hating his MLS experience.

His wife is happy. And for him, that's important.

Yohan
04-03-2013, 01:57 PM
I wouldn't call them in form. They have 2 goals between them. Most of Dallas' goals are coming from their midfield. But Hassli hasn't got a sniff, yeah. I wouldn't be surprised to see him start though.
Perez has 2 goals in 2 games (1 for Panama) he only played 2 games for Dallas this season due to injury

Cooper had a goal wrongly called off vs the Revs, which would have made it 2 goals in 2 games for him.

Add in form Ferreira who has 1 goal 3 assists in 5 games and Dallas is scary

Abou Sky
04-03-2013, 02:01 PM

For anyone who is married, that is damn important (or they are nearing divorce :p)

pekduck
04-03-2013, 02:02 PM

Oh well.

since you are going with this line up, i'll up you this

Ecks--Nelson--Odea--Brennan
----------------------------
----Earnshaw---Dichio-------

now back to your regular programming...

Abou Sky
04-03-2013, 02:03 PM

Oh well.

I think Oso needs more time to be eased in, he is 20 years old, fresh out of the academy.

I am sure he is hungry as hell for minutes, I can only imagine him at the sidelines chomping at the bit nearly saying 'come on coach, i'm ready, put me in'

Graeme
04-03-2013, 02:37 PM
Here's what I think it will be:

-----------Bendick---------
Ecks--O'Dea--Califf--Morgan
Bostock---Hall--Silva--Lambe
-----------Ephraim------------

PopePouri
04-03-2013, 02:45 PM
My hope. Hall plays more a destroyer role allowing Bekker to do what he does well: distribute and create.

-----------Bendick---------
Ecks--O'Dea--Califf--Morgan
Bostock---Hall--Bekker--Ephraim

Brooker
04-03-2013, 02:54 PM

What a wimp.

OgtheDim
04-03-2013, 09:07 PM
What a wimp.

I get you weren't calling me that, Brooker, but if I might add a bit of my own experience to this point. Over the years, a few people have called me a wimp for including my wife in major decisions (like where to live). The wife and I celebrated 20 years of marriage today.

Hassli seems to have other priorities then just playing where he wants to. I respect that.

What I really wonder about is why he didn't pipe up about this when he was making the decision to go to Toronto, and to sign a new contract for here. That wasted us money and time.

For that reason, if and when provided the opportunity, I will boo lustily at him on Saturday. Well, I would boo lustily, but being a married heterosexual man, maybe I will boo vociferously would be a better description. I'm not like the women (and men) who boo Beckham but secretly long to see what exactly is under his briefs.

Yohan
04-03-2013, 09:34 PM
For that reason, if and when provided the opportunity, I will boo lustily at him on Saturday. Well, I would boo lustily, but being a married heterosexual man, maybe I will boo vociferously would be a better description. I'm not like the women (and men) who boo Beckham but secretly long to see what exactly is under his briefs.
Did you not see Beckham's Calvin Klein billboards...? ;)

As for Hassli, if I had his wife, I'd be doing my best to keep her happy too...

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/251250_193709504009744_5068346_n.jpg

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/407223_289132987800728_649871403_n.jpg

ManUtd4ever
04-03-2013, 09:39 PM
Hassli is going to score against us.

Abou Sky
04-03-2013, 10:02 PM
Did you not see Beckham's Calvin Klein billboards...? ;)

As for Hassli, if I had his wife, I'd be doing my best to keep her happy too...

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/251250_193709504009744_5068346_n.jpg

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/407223_289132987800728_649871403_n.jpg

Do they have trailer parks in Switzerland?

Ajax TFC
04-03-2013, 10:30 PM
Hassli is going to score against us.
I'm not too worried. Hassli has made three sub appearances for a total of 36 minutes of PT this season. That said, I wouldn't rule out him coming on as a sub and scoring.

Yohan
04-03-2013, 10:34 PM
I'm not too worried. Hassli has made three sub appearances for a total of 36 minutes of PT this season. That said, I wouldn't rule out him coming on as a sub and scoring.
I think pretty much every ex TFC player ends up scoring on TFC eventually. Hell, even Dan Gargan scored on TFC

notthesun
04-04-2013, 12:42 AM
Hassli has a pretty good goalscoring record against us, no? I can think of five off the top of my head (4 official ones since he scored Vancouver's goal in the abandoned game of the 2011 Canadian Championship) and he couldn't have had more than 7 or 8 appearances against us.

Keep him on the bench Dallas.

Canary10
04-04-2013, 08:44 AM
Perez has 2 goals in 2 games (1 for Panama) he only played 2 games for Dallas this season due to injury

Cooper had a goal wrongly called off vs the Revs, which would have made it 2 goals in 2 games for him.

Add in form Ferreira who has 1 goal 3 assists in 5 games and Dallas is scary

I read an article about two or three weeks ago asking what was wrong with Kenny Cooper, from a Dallas source. His last goal was three games ago btw. Earnshaw is in form. Perez and Cooper are still finding their feet I think. Ferriera, yeah, he's been very good. As he goes, so go the team. And Jackson has been good as well. Our midfield will have its work cut out.

T-boy
04-04-2013, 09:17 AM
I'd love to see Nelson let the team loose a little and play one DM and then play Silva and one of Osorio/Ephraim/Bekker as more advanced midfielders - but I can't see that happening until we have kept a couple of clean sheets in a row and Nelson has confidence that we can be more attack minded.

Ajax TFC
04-04-2013, 10:19 AM
I'd love to see Nelson let the team loose a little and play one DM and then play Silva and one of Osorio/Ephraim/Bekker as more advanced midfielders - but I can't see that happening until we have kept a couple of clean sheets in a row and Nelson has confidence that we can be more attack minded.
I'd like us to get a high energy DM who can cover a lot of ground before we do that. Dunfield can't cover enough ground to be a lone DM, and Hall... well yeah, no. For now I'd like Osorio play as a CM next to Dunfield to see how well he plays defensively over 90. He's got the same facial expression as Sergio Busquetts, maybe he'll play as well defensively but without the diving lol. Hopefully the other Argentine we're signing is a DM.
BTW, are you thinking something like this?:

Bendik
Eckersley - Califf - O'Dea - Morgan
Dunfield
Bostock - - - - - Ephraim
Osorio
Silva - - Earnshaw

JuliquE
04-04-2013, 11:10 AM
My preferred line-up:

---------------Bendik--------------

Eckersley---Califf---O'Dea---Russell

------Dunfield----------Bekker-----

--Ephraim-------Silva------Bostock

--------------Earnshaw-----------

Bendik has done well enough to keep his place, for the time being; wait for the Voyager's Cup matches to give Frei his chance -- possibly in reserve matches.

When Russell showed well for us, he was playing LB; put him back there and stick Ecks back into his comfort-zone, at RB. I was tempted to have Agboss or Richter in to replace Califf, but I think that's playing a dangerous game; better to, as with Frei, give those lads their chances to break into the side via cup/reserve games. Here's hoping they do well and can get their fitness up, because I do feel like we need an improvement over Califf.

I think it hurts us too much when we play both Hall & Dunfield; one of the two isn't the end of the world, by MLS standards. I just wonder if Dunfield will be disciplined enough to swallow his pride and sit back, allowing Bekker to distribute and create a bit more, as PopePuri mentioned, above; seems to like getting forward and might struggle to accept that the young lad Bekker is better suited to that role in the side.

Silva is rendered ineffective, when played out wide; he's earned a start and should play in the hole. Ephraim, like Bostock, favours his left foot and might prove to be similarly effective, if the two were to swap; they can always swap back, if they're having a tough time of it. Lambe, I felt, played a decent game, for the most part consistent with his play so far, this season. That said, I'd bring him on for a tiring Silva and then give Bostock his chance in what he would tell you is his natural/preferred possition: AM -- he should be chomping at the bit to prove his stuff, there; whether you leave Ephraim where he is or swap him over, to have Lambe play the opposite wing, makes little difference.

Subs:

* circa 60th min. = Lambe for Silva, as mentioned.

* circa 60th min. = Osorio for either Bekker or Dunfield, depending on a number of variables (defending a lead vs. trailing; injuries, fatigue, etc.). I tend to agree with Canary, jloome and, I believe, ag futbol about easing Osorio into things; we don't want to have him develop bad habits, the way we saw with Morgan.. who did well enough, to be sure, but, also should not have been so heavily relied upon. Every player wants to play, but they should be the first to admit that, without someone pushing you, your development stagnates -- it's really that simple.

* circa 70th-80th min. = In the end, maybe it would be an idea to utilize one of the defensive options we have to replace Califf, who tends to really lose a step as the game draws on; I just don't think it good to start them, considering their fitness and the confidence of Califf, of whom we'll likely still have to heavily rely upon. Otherwise, if we don't go this route, I would utilize the last substitution to freshen things up wherever is needing it most. Maybe even Richter on for the remaining DM (not yet substituted) and have a look at Russell in DM, swapping Eckersley over to LB and slotting Richter into the, now, vacant RB position (although, this might be a bit too much adjustment for us, in a game we're not comfortably ahead in).

pekduck
04-04-2013, 11:14 AM
^good post JuliquE

that's a game plan most can live with, with both bekkar and silvar in the middle, it'll be more fluid and leverage ephraim and bostock more effectively i hope

SirBobSaget
04-04-2013, 11:31 AM
My preferred line-up:

---------------Bendik----------------

Russell-----Califf---O'Dea----Eckersley

-----Dunfield-----------Bekker--------

--Ephraim-------Silva-------Bostock---

--------------Earnshaw---------------

Bendik has done well enough to keep his place, for the time being; wait for the Voyager's Cup matches to give Frei his chance -- possibly in reserve matches.

When Russell showed well for us, he was playing RB; put him back there and stick with Ecks on the left, where he played quite well, last time out. I was tempted to have Agboss or Richter in to replacement Califf, but I think that's playing a dangerous game; better to, as with Frei, give those lads their chances to break into the side via cup/reserve games. Here's hoping they do well and can get their fitness up, because I do feel like we need an improvement over Califf.

Russell played RB vs LAG and did far from showing well. Eckersley was made to play at LB where he was less effective being forced to use his left foot more.

I say get Morgan back in and see how he reacts to the wake up call.

maninb
04-04-2013, 11:51 AM

I would guess :

----------Bendik
- Silva
-Earnshaw

Hall & Dunfield???? You can't be serious....Why start 2 below average players when you have other options?

Globetrotter
04-04-2013, 11:53 AM
Is that 3 attacking midfielder's with two central midfielder's, or is this another lineup that has two defensive midfielder's?

The new revolution should be to put out a lineup that's not scared, and play without defensive mids.

Yohan
04-04-2013, 12:21 PM
Is that 3 attacking midfielder's with two central midfielder's, or is this another lineup that has two defensive midfielder's?

The new revolution should be to put out a lineup that's not scared, and play without defensive mids.
dude. you are dreaming. even the best teams in the world play with a DM

PopePouri
04-04-2013, 12:24 PM

Most teams play a mixture with one player having the liberty to go forward in a 4-2-3-1 / 4-4-1-1. Currently we have Dunny as the 5th player joining the attack and Hall primarily the destroyer.

Globetrotter
04-04-2013, 12:56 PM
dude. you are dreaming. even the best teams in the world play with a DM

We're not one of the best teams in the world. We've been quoted as the worst team in the world (last season). Regardless, we haven't had past success and it's possible to do this. Dunfield and Hall are two of the worst players we use in our starting 11.

Let Bostock + one other roam central midfield. Backline can move the ball up to him and let him distribute.

A typical 442 has 4 man backline, and 4 man mid (2 wing, 2 central)... I'm not talking about a defensive 442 using a DM, and Im not talking about a 442 diamond that includes a DM and AM. Just a straight up 442 does not make use of DM's.

If you score 4-5 goals a game, you can afford to let in 3.

I might be dreaming, but we don't need DM's. :)

Ultra & Proud
04-04-2013, 01:32 PM
We are presently playing a certain system implemented by Nelsen and that system needs a DM. I don't think we need two playing together if we can get a box to box mid and hold better possession but to say we need none will put us back into 2011/2012 defensive mode and re-open our assault on the goals against record books.

Yohan
04-04-2013, 01:34 PM
We're not one of the best teams in the world. We've been quoted as the worst team in the world (last season). Regardless, we haven't had past success and it's possible to do this. Dunfield and Hall are two of the worst players we use in our starting 11.

Let Bostock + one other roam central midfield. Backline can move the ball up to him and let him distribute.

A typical 442 has 4 man backline, and 4 man mid (2 wing, 2 central)... I'm not talking about a defensive 442 using a DM, and Im not talking about a 442 diamond that includes a DM and AM. Just a straight up 442 does not make use of DM's.

you really are going to hate Nelsen lol. he learned his tactics from Big Sam Allardyce and Harry Redknapp.

Abou Sky
04-04-2013, 01:47 PM
Hall & Dunfield???? You can't be serious....Why start 2 below average players when you have other options?

Like? Oso is too green to start, so is Becker (also is attacking mid not DM)

I would love to have other options, even loving Dunny I can't argue that he is a sub not a starter. (I love watching him run in front of an opponent and stop so they run into him, so hardcore!)

Abou Sky
04-04-2013, 01:59 PM

You're dreaming ;)

What we have could be better described as a 4-2-2-1-1

4d (with FBs making runs)
2 DM (who cover for those FB runs)
2 AM wings
1 10 man (Silva has said himself this is what he feels is his natural position)
1 striker

In military terms, it forms a double wedge, unlike the military Earnshaw is likely not going to get speared first (we hope)

Oh, and yes I am a geek who spent too much time painting models in basements

JuliquE
04-04-2013, 02:08 PM
Russell played RB vs LAG and did far from showing well. Eckersley was made to play at LB where he was less effective being forced to use his left foot more.

I say get Morgan back in and see how he reacts to the wake up call.
Whoops; misremembered. At any rate, just swap the two; I was referring to Russell's showing in Montréal, indeed, at left back.. which means Eckersley can take his usual post at RB.

trane
04-04-2013, 04:26 PM
Even teams with much better back lines use DMs. Plus DMs are not anti-offensive players, they are the players that help a team move from defense to offence. A good DM helps the offence, the quality of our DMs may be questionable, not the fact that we have them.

West220Side
04-04-2013, 04:34 PM
Hopefully the team will eat their Osori-O's for breakfast!

Osori-O's that would be.. a great two stick banner.

Yohan
04-04-2013, 11:00 PM
Looks like Dunfield has a knee injury and won't be playing. Going to bet Osorio to get a start?

jloome
04-04-2013, 11:55 PM
Even teams with much better back lines use DMs. Plus DMs are not anti-offensive players, they are the players that help a team move from defense to offence. A good DM helps the offence, the quality of our DMs may be questionable, not the fact that we have them.

I don't even like the term; most of the DMs in this league aren't anchors who sit in front of the backline, which is what a DM really is, they're defensively-minded two-way midfielders.

notthesun
04-05-2013, 12:53 AM
Looks like Dunfield has a knee injury and won't be playing. Going to bet Osorio to get a start?

Unless Nelsen elects to drop Silva to CM and keep Ephraim in the hole with Lambe on the left. I'd rather see Silva in the hole with Osorio getting the start in CM though.

Abou Sky
04-05-2013, 07:15 AM
Osori-O's that would be.. a great two stick banner.

make it look like a cereal box? I would be down with that, I don't normally have time to do banner paintings or anything but would make the time for that one.

Abou Sky
04-05-2013, 07:18 AM
I don't even like the term; most of the DMs in this league aren't anchors who sit in front of the backline, which is what a DM really is, they're defensively-minded two-way midfielders.

That is narrowing down an interpretation, in a 4-1-x-x yes, you are correct, but what would you call Dunny & Hall if not DMs?

Canary10
04-05-2013, 08:36 AM
That is narrowing down an interpretation, in a 4-1-x-x yes, you are correct, but what would you call Dunny & Hall if not DMs?

I'd call them midfielders without distribution skills.

JuliquE
04-05-2013, 09:05 AM
DMTWM

Better? g:D

I've actually noticed the same; hard to think of anyone who plays a traditional DM role for his side, in MLS.

69Chevy396
04-05-2013, 09:29 AM

And, we don't need two DMs that are playing for the other team.

Yohan
04-05-2013, 09:50 AM
DMTWM

Better? g:D

I've actually noticed the same; hard to think of anyone who plays a traditional DM role for his side, in MLS.
because most MLS sides still play with 4 midfielders, even the guy in the DM role is expected to support the attack while being defensively responsible. otherwise the attack will not get enough support from midfield, or the team has to play more direct. generally DMs in MLS are athletic and physical. I think Oriol Rosell in SKC is the only DM that relies on positioning and reading of the play as his primary skill as DM, and he's used more in a box to box role at SKC. such is the nature of the beast in MLS

Globetrotter
04-05-2013, 10:25 AM
It really doesn't matter what other teams in this league do, or what teams in other leagues do. We can do our thing. It's perfectly feasible to throw out a lineup with no DM's.

-----F----F------
------AM--------
-LW---M-----RW-
-----------------
DLB--D---D--DRB

attacking 442 (not that we have the pieces for this atm... no proper wingers)

I don't see why you need a DM if you can employ a regular central midfielder. The central guy has the ability to help defensively and offensively. He can carry the play, and take the ball upfield.

If you are using a DM to "sure up the back line", that's playing it safe and defensive. If that's your mindset then I understand why you need that position. I don't think teams need to be scared. Drop the DM.

I guess the tactics discussion is a little off topic, so I'll end by saying that I look forward to an entertaining game on Saturday and hope the weather doesn't alter the playing conditions too much.

Yohan
04-05-2013, 10:39 AM
It really doesn't matter what other teams in this league do, or what teams in other leagues do. We can do our thing. It's perfectly feasible to throw out a lineup with no DM's.

-----F----F------
------AM--------
-LW---M-----RW-
-----------------
DLB--D---D--DRB

attacking 442 (not that we have the pieces for this atm... no proper wingers)

I don't see why you need a DM if you can employ a regular central midfielder. The central guy has the ability to help defensively and offensively. He can carry the play, and take the ball upfield.

If you are using a DM to "sure up the back line", that's playing it safe and defensive. If that's your mindset then I understand why you need that position. I don't think teams need to be scared. Drop the DM.

I guess the tactics discussion is a little off topic, so I'll end by saying that I look forward to an entertaining game on Saturday and hope the weather doesn't alter the playing conditions too much.
even the best, possession based teams use a DM, because the midfield generally isn't good enough to hold the ball and will cough it up. this also means your back 4 has to be like super studs, and your GK has to be some sort of combo of Peter Schmeichel/Cech and Buffon put together. There is a reason why most MLS managers play conservative, defence first, counter tactics, because it is the best to adopt with the quality of players available. The domestic constrains (US/Can does not produce enough technical players that can hold the ball) and int spot restrictions means you can't fill your roster with int players. Not to mention the type of players you need will ask for good wage on a small salary cap.

Don't get me wrong. Your idea is intriguing. I do think you will enjoy watching Chivas USA games where Chelis plays a high pressure, offensive oriented 2-5-3 formation, but even then he uses a DM or 2.

Canary10
04-05-2013, 10:47 AM
I haven't generally heard the term defensive midfielder as an actual position until I started following MLS. Do people regard this as similar to a holding midfielder?

The only times I've heard defensive midfielder used is midfielders I've played with who are totally shite going forward and neither score nor build the attack. Those guys always called themselves defensive midfielders. That, I would argue, is what both Jeremy Hall and Terry Dunfield are.

Abou Sky
04-05-2013, 10:56 AM
I haven't generally heard the term defensive midfielder as an actual position until I started following MLS. Do people regard this as similar to a holding midfielder?

The only times I've heard defensive midfielder used is midfielders I've played with who are totally shite going forward and neither score nor build the attack. Those guys always called themselves defensive midfielders. That, I would argue, is what both Jeremy Hall and Terry Dunfield are.

Yes, holding mid.

I also found that the term 'sweeper' is used differently in MLS but whatevs

Globetrotter
04-05-2013, 10:57 AM

lol. Well, for Saturday at least one of those options are gone. Maybe that will open the door for Silva.

Canary10
04-05-2013, 10:59 AM
Yes, holding mid.

I also found that the term 'sweeper' is used differently in MLS but whatevs

Thanks. Just want to make sure we're talking the same language.

Gazza
04-05-2013, 11:00 AM

I have often wondered this myself, since i am relatively new to MLS. Not to put words into people's mouths, but i believe they equate the defensive midfielder to a Mascherano type. Someone who works hard and kills attacks. And a holding mid to a Xabi Alonso. Someone who is always positioned well and is a master distributor. What we have are two low IQ, non-athletic Mascherano's when what we really need is a poor man's Alonso.

Canary10
04-05-2013, 11:01 AM
^ Ha, well put.

I think using defensive midfielder as a name for a position excuses players of the second part of what a holding midfielder does, which is distribute. These two guys don't do that.

Abou Sky
04-05-2013, 11:02 AM
Best example of DM I can think of are Beckerman and Bernier (both of whom are head and shoulders better than our DMs)

They are there to shut down opponents attack and restart your teams attack.

Gazza hit the nail on the head with 'master distributor'

Yohan
04-05-2013, 11:25 AM
You can add alonso and juninho to that list. Sam cronin just below those 4. Id kill to have any of those players

T-boy
04-05-2013, 12:00 PM
I'm always impressed with Alonso. He's not "spectacular" in any way, not flashy, but he stops the play and is always efficient with his pass, he doesn't give anything away.

Stouffville_RPB
04-05-2013, 12:16 PM
Dunfield listed as OUT

Auzzy
04-05-2013, 12:20 PM
And Danny Califf has the flu; decision on playing him will be made Saturday.

I've often wondered: don't these pro athletes get flu shots?

notthesun
04-05-2013, 12:25 PM
Dunfield being out is a happy accident. Hoping Osorio can step up so that Nelsen is essentially forced to split up Dunfield and Hall in central mid.

I'm hopeful Califf plays, I don't know if the Boss will be able to hold off his share of Cooper/Perez.

T-boy
04-05-2013, 12:52 PM

The flu shot is just for one type of the flu. You can still catch another flu strain.

Canary10
04-05-2013, 12:56 PM
It'll be very interesting to see who Nelsen pairs with Hall tomorrow. From what I'm hearing from the media tweets following TFC's practice today, he doesn't want to drop the 2 person holding midfielder formation (ha, ha, screw the defensive midfielder). I don't know who he would see as the other player in that formation.

It would make more sense to me to go to more of a diamond with a proper two man front and put Osorio or Silva at the top.

Stouffville_RPB
04-05-2013, 02:09 PM
If TFC doesn't go with 2 in front of the back line and Califf can't go they could be in real trouble. Both Kenny Cooper and Eric Hassli seem to perform at their best when the play TFC. Hassli hasn't seen a tonne of minutes but if Hyndman knows how he plays v TFC he could get a run out. Nelson needs to make sure he can account for both of them at all times.

Canary10
04-05-2013, 02:21 PM
If TFC doesn't go with 2 in front of the back line and Califf can't go they could be in real trouble. Both Kenny Cooper and Eric Hassli seem to perform at their best when the play TFC. Hassli hasn't seen a tonne of minutes but if Hyndman knows how he plays v TFC he could get a run out. Nelson needs to make sure he can account for both of them at all times.

Who does he play beside Hall?

Yohan
04-05-2013, 02:28 PM
Who does he play beside Hall?
I think Osorio has inside track, though I can also see Russell beside Hall and Ecks and Morgan play FB.

Auzzy
04-05-2013, 02:29 PM
The flu shot is just for one type of the flu. You can still catch another flu strain.

Actually the flu shot usually covers a few of the most common strains expected for that year. Yes I know it's not 100% effective. But it really lowers the risk. In fact the shot was fairly good in Ontario this year, in terms of protecting against the flu strains that ended up being most common in reality. (That hit rate varies from year to year.) Even for those flu strains not covered, the shot often provides partial immunity, i.e., easier to fight it off & easier to recuperate.

However, I'm just surprised how often we've heard about flu among TFC players, and also other professional players. I bet some of them just don't get the shot -- some people are very opposed to it. I think it would be a good idea for all the players to be immunized, considering how exposed they are, and how they can infect each other (locker rooms, close contact, lots of travel, etc.). Or maybe it's not really the "flu" -- e.g., lots of stomach ailments are actually mild food poisoning, but people still call it the flu.

nfitz
04-05-2013, 02:43 PM
e.g., lots of stomach ailments are actually mild food poisoning, but people still call it the flu.... or mild alcohol poisoning ... :drinking:

SydneyCanuck
04-05-2013, 02:58 PM
Going to my first ever TFC game tomorrow. I'm excited.

Abou Sky
04-05-2013, 03:06 PM

Be nice to see Agboussamonde (sp?) get the start

Abou Sky
04-05-2013, 03:06 PM

Watch out, it can be addictive :-)

SydneyCanuck
04-05-2013, 03:08 PM
Watch out, it can be addictive :-)

Watched heaps of MLS back in Australia so i'm pretty familiar with the league.

OgtheDim
04-05-2013, 03:15 PM

May your first be memorable.

Yohan
04-05-2013, 03:18 PM
Watched heaps of MLS back in Australia so i'm pretty familiar with the league.
lol heaps. so aussie :p

A league isn't good enough? ;)

Yohan
04-05-2013, 03:19 PM
I think Nelsen wants physical CBs because Perez, Hassli and Cooper all are handful to deal with. Califf to start

Canary10
04-05-2013, 03:26 PM
I think Nelsen wants physical CBs because Perez, Hassli and Cooper all are handful to deal with. Califf to start

You don't think Boss is physical? He looks like a monster.

Think you're right about Osorio. Hope he does as well as last week.

Globetrotter
04-05-2013, 03:30 PM

It would be nice to see him as a sub for a while to see what he can do before giving him the spot vs a 4 win team with guys like Hassli, Perez, Cooper, and Ferrara.

Yohan
04-05-2013, 03:30 PM
You don't think Boss is physical? He looks like a monster.

Think you're right about Osorio. Hope he does as well as last week.
Boss is untested. It's going to be one helluva battle of wills and Califf is mentally strong. I think Nelsen will go for the sure thing.

Canary10
04-05-2013, 03:33 PM
Boss is untested. It's going to be one helluva battle of wills and Califf is mentally strong. I think Nelsen will go for the sure thing.

Yeah I agree. I have no idea how Boss plays, but he looks tough!

Canary10
04-05-2013, 03:35 PM
Is there any inkling of Frei starting over Bendik?

mowe
04-05-2013, 03:35 PM
I have complete faith in Boss and I hope he gets the chance to start. An athletic CB like him is a good complement to O'Dea. I do think he'll win the spot by the end of the season.

notthesun
04-05-2013, 03:46 PM
Is there any inkling of Frei starting over Bendik?

Not a chance, I think. Unless Bendik slips up I don't see Frei starting until the Canadian Championship first leg against Montreal on the 24th.

Stress
04-05-2013, 03:50 PM

If there's one thing of advice I can offer, it's always dress warmer than you think you'll need to based on the weather by your residence (unless you live by BMO). It's always nice to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Detroit_TFC
04-05-2013, 03:57 PM
I like Califf a lot but if he isn't good to go, might be better to have some one else in his place. Having someone at 50% out there is sure to get burned.

trane
04-05-2013, 04:06 PM
In Italy the terms are completley different because every mid, is supposed to be a two way player, BUT a defender first. Someone playing Pirlo's role is ussualy called a regista, meaning a deep lying playmaker, the two players to his side ( in a Milan like 4-3-3) are mezza-alla, half-wings, but what they realy are two box to box mids, they come up to press and fill in attack, and be the first to defend, when the other team gets the ball ( Gattuso was this), then up more ( if you are playing a 4-3-1-2 or something similar) is the tre-quartista, the SS/AM/ the pure 10 is the best way to describe him, he is the only mid that is attack first ( but everyone has defensive duties). Now Milan has not treguartista, but a deeplying playimaking CDM, and two two way CMs. They all fill defensive roles, but Milan is a much more attacking team then we are or any MLS team. Seven man defend FIRST then they quickly move the ball up to dangerous positions to Balo, El Sha, Niang.

Abou Sky
04-05-2013, 05:21 PM
If there's one thing of advice I can offer, it's always dress warmer than you think you'll need to based on the weather by your residence (unless you live by BMO). It's always nice to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Long johns a must until mid May + layers.

Also, sunglasses and a cap.

Yohan
04-05-2013, 05:31 PM
http://soccerblog.dallasnews.com/2013/04/hassli-nearing-ideal-playing-weight.html/

Who ate all the pies? According to Hyndman, Hassli did

Abou Sky
04-05-2013, 05:35 PM

I would take Califf too but if he is sick it may be Boss mans chance to come up. I would guess Henry starts and Boss maybe gets subbed in.

It may in fact be Osorio's chance to get a starting position, although I hate to say that I fear he will disappoint.

notthesun
04-05-2013, 05:57 PM
Fairly sure Boss is ahead of Henry in the pecking order. Yet again we're in a situation where we need to get a loan for a young promising player to continue his development and yet it doesn't even seem to cross management's mind.

SydneyCanuck
04-05-2013, 06:35 PM
lol heaps. so aussie :p

A league isn't good enough? ;)

Ha, when you follow Sydney FC and its cavalcade of shit no :)

SydneyCanuck
04-05-2013, 06:36 PM
Long johns a must until mid May + layers.

Also, sunglasses and a cap.

Actually, I lied i've seen TFC play in Vancouver in 2011. But yes I've already got the warm clothes planned but normally i'll just put a beer jacket on.

Cashcleaner
04-05-2013, 07:01 PM
Dallas is coming off a three-game winning streak, with a total of 6 goals for and 2 against over those matches. Their early season is going pretty well for them with only one loss racked up (against Chivas of all teams) out of five matches and boast three shutouts. There is a reason why this team is leading the Western Conference; their goalkeeping and defense is rock-solid, and they have been very successful at breaking up the opposition's attack in the midfield.

http://www.fcdallas.com/news/2013/04/know-your-enemy-toronto-fc

http://www.fcdallas.com/FC-Dallas-Defense-John-Loyd

Dallas is fully expecting to come away tomorrow with 3 more points. A win for us would be a major coup, but I know it's not gonna come easily.

One thing that could very well play in to our advantage is the weather. Tomorrow is gonna be cold (5 degrees feelings like 1 or 2) and a little breezy - much of the same from the past few days. Dallas, on the other hand, has been experiencing much warmer weather. Today it actually hit 21 degrees Celsius in the city. Dallas has yet to experience cold weather this season at any of their home or away matches - at least the sort we get here in Toronto and the Eastern seaboard - so we have a bit of an edge in that regard.

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KDAL/2013/4/5/MonthlyHistory.html#calendar

jloome
04-06-2013, 12:47 AM
Dallas is coming off a three-game winning streak, with a total of 6 goals for and 2 against over those matches. Their early season is going pretty well for them with only one loss racked up (against Chivas of all teams) out of five matches and boast three shutouts. There is a reason why this team is leading the Western Conference; their goalkeeping and defense is rock-solid, and they have been very successful at breaking up the opposition's attack in the midfield.

http://www.fcdallas.com/news/2013/04/know-your-enemy-toronto-fc

http://www.fcdallas.com/FC-Dallas-Defense-John-Loyd

Dallas is fully expecting to come away tomorrow with 3 more points. A win for us would be a major coup, but I know it's not gonna come easily.

One thing that could very well play in to our advantage is the weather. Tomorrow is gonna be cold (5 degrees feelings like 1 or 2) and a little breezy - much of the same from the past few days. Dallas, on the other hand, has been experiencing much warmer weather. Today it actually hit 21 degrees Celsius in the city. Dallas has yet to experience cold weather this season - at least the sort we get here in Toronto and the Eastern seaboard - so we have a bit of an edge in that regard.

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KDAL/2013/4/5/MonthlyHistory.html#calendar

Multiple MLSsoccer.com (the most redundant of web addesses) editors pick Toronto. We're doomed.
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/04/05/pick-em-mlssoccercom-editors-pick-mls-week-6-matches

SydneyCanuck
04-06-2013, 08:38 AM
What's the best pub to go to around BMO Field before the game?

Voodooman
04-06-2013, 09:07 AM
What's the best pub to go to around BMO Field before the game?

Most people go to shoeless joes before the game. Be there for 2pm!

Abou Sky
04-06-2013, 09:19 AM
Well, going to make the same scoreline prediction as always... 2-1 Toronto

I think if we played Barcalona, I would say 'we are going to lose' then you would ask the score and I would say 'Toronto win 2-1'

SydneyCanuck
04-06-2013, 10:15 AM
Most people go to shoeless joes before the game. Be there for 2pm!

That's the one on King St?

Commie Red
04-06-2013, 10:21 AM
That's the one on King St?
Yes, that's the one. Just East of Duffrin.

Commie Red
04-06-2013, 10:24 AM
http://soccerblog.dallasnews.com/2013/04/hassli-nearing-ideal-playing-weight.html/

Who ate all the pies? According to Hyndman, Hassli did

Well, if his own coach is calling him fat, I think it is incumbent upon us to pass on the message.

SydneyCanuck
04-06-2013, 10:29 AM
Yes, that's the one. Just East of Duffrin.

Just delightful as i'll be on the 29 bus coming down Dufferin.

Abou Sky
04-06-2013, 10:47 AM
Well, if his own coach is calling him fat, I think it is incumbent upon us to pass on the message.

+1, I really hope he gets subbed on!!!

RealG-TFC
04-06-2013, 12:50 PM
Just delightful as i'll be on the 29 bus coming down Dufferin.

Lol you'll need a few cold ones after taking that bus.

Anyway, I predict 3-2 TFC.

ManUtd4ever
04-06-2013, 12:56 PM
Multiple MLSsoccer.com (the most redundant of web addesses) editors pick Toronto. We're doomed.
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/04/05/pick-em-mlssoccercom-editors-pick-mls-week-6-matches

That's odd, Dallas is better on paper.

That being said, we are long overdue for a win at BMO. I can barely remember the last time I left the grounds after a victory (it might have been last summer against Houston?), and we've blown several games in stoppage time since then.

It's time to right the ship at home!

notthesun
04-06-2013, 02:05 PM
Lineup (https://twitter.com/torontofc/status/320612418931810304): Bendik, Russell, Agbossoumonde, O'Dea, Eckersley, Bostock, Hall, Osorio, Lambe, Ephraim, Earnshaw

Bench (https://twitter.com/torontofc/status/320613169527656448): Frei, Henry, Morgan, Bekker, Silva, Braun, Wiedeman

Califf out with the flu, Dunfield out with a knee injury. Bold moves by Nelsen leaving Russell in and giving Osorio the start. Massively disappointed at no Silva though, I guess he's not ready for 75 minutes? No other reason not to start him.

Also Hassli didn't travel due to "personal issues" (relating to his weight, no doubt) so we can just worry about Cooper and Perez.

Yohan
04-06-2013, 02:15 PM

the fact that KP managed to trade Hassli, even if for peanuts, makes him a genius

jloome
04-06-2013, 02:25 PM
the fact that KP managed to trade Hassli, even if for peanuts, makes him a genius

I suppose I shouldn't feel either pity or antipathy towards someone getting rich for playing soccer, but what a waste of a fucking major talent that guy is.

Richard
04-06-2013, 02:27 PM
They say everything is bigger in Texas.....

69Chevy396
04-06-2013, 02:42 PM
I refuse to pay Bell an extra dime for TSN 2. Good thing we don't have much in the way of dog racing in Canada or we would never be able to watch soccer on a regulr channel again. Dam curling. Streamng feed anyone?

notthesun
04-06-2013, 02:45 PM
I refuse to pay Bell an extra dime for TSN 2. Good thing we don't have much in the way of dog racing in Canada or we would never be able to watch soccer on a regulr channel again. Dam curling. Streamng feed anyone?

FirstRowSports (http://www.firstrow1.eu/watch/179299/1/watch-toronto-fc-vs-fc-dallas.html) will have it once the game starts.

MG42
04-06-2013, 02:46 PM
Tsn2 ffs why do I even bother lol

69Chevy396
04-06-2013, 02:50 PM
Thanks, I recall using them before.

ouderwien
04-06-2013, 03:02 PM
http://www.firstrow1.eu/watch/179299/2/watch-toronto-fc-vs-fc-dallas.html

__wowza
04-06-2013, 03:07 PM
http://www.firstrow1.eu/watch/179299/1/watch-toronto-fc-vs-fc-dallas.html

as always, check firstrow for all your streaming needs.

ensco
04-06-2013, 03:08 PM
First look at Boss!

Yohan
04-06-2013, 03:13 PM
Earnshaw almost pounce on another poor backpass

Yohan
04-06-2013, 03:17 PM
Well, at least TFC is not lethargic in start the game today

ensco
04-06-2013, 03:19 PM
Playing Ecks on the left is really not working. He has no touch on his left foot.

notthesun
04-06-2013, 03:19 PM
There's the downside of having Ecks on the left. Can't cross at all on his left foot, Morgan could've whipped in a dangerous ball from that position.

__wowza
04-06-2013, 03:22 PM
bostock with that FIFA 13 move.
russel with a yellow, can this guy show any more promise?

ensco
04-06-2013, 03:22 PM
I love how Hall got all huffy when he didn't get the ball at first there, then it comes to him and immediately wastesthe possession.

Kaz
04-06-2013, 03:23 PM
Are their any feeds that don't include enough spyware to take down north korea?

notthesun
04-06-2013, 03:25 PM
Berbaspin from Bostock was hot.

Yohan
04-06-2013, 03:26 PM
Are their any feeds that don't include enough spyware to take down north korea?
http://www.frombar.tv/

you can try that

Yohan
04-06-2013, 03:26 PM
Berbaspin from Bostock was hot.
I think most technically gifted dribbler ever to play for TFC

notthesun
04-06-2013, 03:31 PM
Bostock seems to be in his Sporting KC form so far.

Yohan
04-06-2013, 03:32 PM
Osorio has been very good with his decisions with the ball so far

ensco
04-06-2013, 03:33 PM
I think most technically gifted dribbler ever to play for TFC

Not sure. Bostock really reminding me of Ronnie O'Brien, who may have had just a bit more control in traffic.

mcolvy
04-06-2013, 03:34 PM
who was hall getting into it with after he ran away from the scuffle? He was mouthing like "you should have my back man" type stuff as in someone on our team was giving him shit for pushing perez...

Or was it an FC dallas player...

Kaz
04-06-2013, 03:34 PM
Russell has to go

Yohan
04-06-2013, 03:41 PM
what a shot by Jacobson...

__wowza
04-06-2013, 03:42 PM
who were the boys singing happy birthday to?

Yohan
04-06-2013, 03:43 PM
who were the boys singing happy birthday to?
Earnshaw

Kaz
04-06-2013, 03:43 PM
Bostock didn't stay on his man.

Yohan
04-06-2013, 03:45 PM
Bostock's fault on that goal. just stopped marking Jacobson

notthesun
04-06-2013, 03:45 PM
Such a horrible call on Eckersley. He so clearly got the ball. Yeah we have to defend the set piece but it leaves such a sour taste in your mouth when your opponent wouldn't have scored without the referee's help.

Kaz
04-06-2013, 03:48 PM
What the hell is with these calls.

gracos
04-06-2013, 03:48 PM
I dont see any new international except Robbie Earnshaw deserving to stay with the club, I think a lot of the players were stop gaps

v00d00daddy
04-06-2013, 03:52 PM
Such a horrible call on Eckersley. He so clearly got the ball. Yeah we have to defend the set piece but it leaves such a sour taste in your mouth when your opponent wouldn't have scored without the referee's help.

You sound like devos on the telecast.

Eckersely committed two fouls on that play. He's over agressive at the wrong time.

On a side note....where did people (devos included) learn that getting a foot on the ball on a tackle absolves a player of any wrong doing when they go through the ball holders legs to get that touch?

You can't tackle through a guys calf with your knee to get a toe on the ball and expect not to be called for a foul. It's so frustrating to see guys do that.

Yohan
04-06-2013, 03:55 PM
I dont see any new international except Robbie Earnshaw deserving to stay with the club, I think a lot of the players were stop gaps
doesn't help that Ephraim should be playing wing and Bostock should be AM.

And Jeremy Hall. Can't pass. Can't cross

ensco
04-06-2013, 03:55 PM
You can't really complain when 50/50 calls go against you.That's life.

Richard
04-06-2013, 03:56 PM
Getting outshot 0-6 at home....

notthesun
04-06-2013, 03:58 PM
You sound like devos on the telecast.

Eckersely committed two fouls on that play. He's over agressive at the wrong time.

On a side note....where did people (devos included) learn that getting a foot on the ball on a tackle absolves a player of any wrong doing when they go through the ball holders legs to get that touch?

You can't tackle through a guys calf with your knee to get a toe on the ball and expect not to be called for a foul. It's so frustrating to see guys do that.

Did deVos say it was a foul or not? I'm not watching the TSN broadcast.

Eckersley didn't go through his legs to get the ball, contact came after he got the ball. Good tackle, bad call.

Yohan
04-06-2013, 04:01 PM
Did deVos say it was a foul or not? I'm not watching the TSN broadcast.

Eckersley didn't go through his legs, contact came after he got the ball. Good tackle, bad call.
you're going to get called for reckless challenge when you come from behind the the player

Kaz
04-06-2013, 04:03 PM
Most of the calls have been bad. Earnshaw got a double handed push and no call, Dallas player falls done 3ft from a TFC player call goes against TFC.

It's silly. And of course there is the issue that there is almost no successful attacking, I don't know if that is a TFC fault or Dallas shutting it down.

nonc
04-06-2013, 04:03 PM
Nelsen ego and pride alert! How else do you describe Russell starting. Listening to DeVos rationize it was amusing, talk about hypocrisy and double standard...and why for a guy who has no future with the club? I like the Gale start though he is promising and good on the ball.

Lee Godfrey is an embarrassment someone tell this guy not to use "obviously" as a way to start every sentence.

notthesun
04-06-2013, 04:04 PM
you're going to get called for reckless challenge when you come from behind the the player

It's a weak call in my opinion. Imagine if Eckersley makes that exact tackle in the box and the ref calls a penalty? When he makes contact with the ball first? We'd all be hurling insults at the ref.

Yohan
04-06-2013, 04:04 PM
Most of the calls have been bad. Earnshaw got a double handed push and no call, Dallas player falls done 3ft from a TFC player call goes against TFC.

It's silly. And of course there is the issue that there is almost no successful attacking, I don't know if that is a TFC fault or Dallas shutting it down.
Jeremy Hall. Where TFC attack goes to die.

At least Dunfield can pass the ball once in a while

Richard
04-06-2013, 04:08 PM
Mind boggling. Thats TFC in a nutshell I guess.

notthesun
04-06-2013, 04:09 PM
Save us Silva.

I'd like to get Morgan on as well, take Russell off and put Eckersley back on the right.

v00d00daddy
04-06-2013, 04:11 PM
It's a weak call in my opinion. Imagine if Eckersley makes that exact tackle in the box and the ref calls a penalty? When he makes contact with the ball first? We'd all be hurling insults at the ref.

If Eckersley went to ground in our box from behind on an attacking player and tackled through the guy...I don't care if he gets the ball first. I'd heckle Eckersley.

Its stupid and reckless. He needs to time in perfectly and even then, it's nearly impossible to slide tackle from behind and win the ball without touching the opposition.

Attacking players know this and that's why they shield the ball. They know you have no choice but to foul you if they wanna go to ground.

69Chevy396
04-06-2013, 04:12 PM
Jeremy Hall. Where TFC attack goes to die.

At least Dunfield can pass the ball once in a while
Yup, he can pass it once in a while, if only he would do so with his eyes open.

Yohan
04-06-2013, 04:13 PM
Silva for Osorio.

69Chevy396
04-06-2013, 04:13 PM
What happened to De Guzman? I thought that bum liked Dallas.

nonc
04-06-2013, 04:15 PM
If Eckersley went to ground in our box from behind on an attacking player and tackled through the guy...I don't care if he gets the ball first. I'd heckle Eckersley.

Its stupid and reckless. He needs to time in perfectly and even then, it's nearly impossible to slide tackle from behind and win the ball without touching the opposition.

Attacking players know this and that's why they shield the ball. They know you have no choice but to foul you if they wanna go to ground.

Eckersley and Dunfield kings of bad challenges.

Yohan
04-06-2013, 04:15 PM
What happened to De Guzman? I thought that bum liked Dallas.
plays for Jahns Regensburg in 2 Bundesliga

v00d00daddy
04-06-2013, 04:17 PM
I don't know why Osorio has to come off to bring in silva.

But I do like the switch putting Bostock on the left side. Hopefully he can put a dangerous ball or two in to the box from his strong side.

69Chevy396
04-06-2013, 04:17 PM
plays for Jahns Regensburg in 2 Bundesliga
You know I am shocked Barca didn't pick him up, after his illustrious career in la liga.

Dkolish3
04-06-2013, 04:19 PM
We have a shot on goal.

mowe
04-06-2013, 04:26 PM
Bostock took too many dribbles, turns it over, counter attack gets counter attacked. Perez scores. 0-2.

Yohan
04-06-2013, 04:27 PM
another goal due to Russell

notthesun
04-06-2013, 04:28 PM
Bostock's gotta get rid of that ball quicker.

SirBobSaget
04-06-2013, 04:28 PM
That's the 4th goal in 2 games off russels shoulder

notthesun
04-06-2013, 04:30 PM
Man that's what I've been waiting to see Ephraim do. Nelsen has to tell him to be more confident and positive on the ball.

AdamAM
04-06-2013, 04:35 PM
Russell needs to go

Stryker
04-06-2013, 04:36 PM
Ive been wanting to give russell time and the benefit of the doubt but hes got no soccer IQ whatsoever. Lazy getting back alot of the time too. At midfield Hall is a black hole in terms of build up or counter attack. Far worse than Dunfield IMO.

69Chevy396
04-06-2013, 04:36 PM
This team looks as weak as all the others we hhave endured. MLS is getting better each year while we stay pretty much the same, I would be bet against more than 6 or 7 victories. Shocking how every rookie manager makes the same mistakes playing rookies all the time and failing to address the areas in need of improvement. this is garbage.

Yohan
04-06-2013, 04:37 PM
Only positive thing so far is Boss who looks decent

Stryker
04-06-2013, 04:39 PM
I concur.

Edit - actually Ecks has had a good game, just not 300k good.

Yohan
04-06-2013, 04:40 PM
Doesn't get easier for TFC's tired legs as Castillo has speed to burn

Yohan
04-06-2013, 04:41 PM
terrible game by Bostock

notthesun
04-06-2013, 04:43 PM
If Braun does anything in this game I'll eat my hat.

terrible game by Bostock

He started pretty well too.

Yohan
04-06-2013, 04:43 PM
I don't even know why Reggie Lambe ended up marking Blas Perez on that play. size mismatch

69Chevy396
04-06-2013, 04:45 PM
Is it too late to join the USL?

Yohan
04-06-2013, 04:46 PM
Silva is not a good CM. He needs to playing AM, just behind the striker

SirBobSaget
04-06-2013, 04:47 PM
Braun is the only one going anything. He's earned a start

Stryker
04-06-2013, 04:50 PM
Silva is not a good CM. He needs to playing AM, just behind the striker
Yup. His runs have been good but his long passing horrible.

notthesun
04-06-2013, 04:51 PM
Braun is the only one going anything. He's earned a start

I swear he's touched the ball like twice... ???

Earnshaw is so desperate for a sight of goal today that he's elected to try two wonder strikers from outside the box with his left.

edit: lol, all right then, never mind. Hat eating time.

Stryker
04-06-2013, 04:53 PM
No he still doesnt deserve a start, that was pure luck. Hopefully we get more of it and steal a point as has happened to us time and time again late.

Yohan
04-06-2013, 04:56 PM
If Braun does anything in this game I'll eat my hat.

eat your hat lol

Stryker
04-06-2013, 04:56 PM
This ref is fucking us dry.

Stryker
04-06-2013, 04:57 PM
Russell... Goal??? Yup thats the horse shoe up the ass luck I was looking for. ROFL.

Lumpy
04-06-2013, 04:57 PM
I love Russell

mowe
04-06-2013, 04:58 PM
And just like that, Russell is now a fan favourite.

Yohan
04-06-2013, 04:58 PM
Jeremy hall 1v1 defending fail again

Stryker
04-06-2013, 05:01 PM
Come on Braun, get an assist for the Bobby Hull hat trick.

Yohan
04-06-2013, 05:02 PM
And just like that, Russell is now a fan favourite.
que golazo...

play him in mid instead of Hall or something

billyfly
04-06-2013, 05:03 PM
Not deserved but who cares!

Lumpy
04-06-2013, 05:03 PM
Maybe we should put the subs on first and then put the regulars on.

mowe
04-06-2013, 05:04 PM
Yeah I'll take a draw. Props for not giving up after going down 2-nil.

Gazza
04-06-2013, 05:05 PM
Mariner obviously got Wiedeman mixed up with Braun.

billyfly
Maybe I should have gone after all.

Stryker
I'll take the point thank you. Russell still sucks. An the number one priority is still a DM who can distribute the ball up field.

Nerepis
04-06-2013, 05:07 PM
Wow, TFC a team with heart... about time. Well done boys.

ag futbol
This is one of those games where we will kick ourselves but it really is two steps forward on step back.

Don't get too attached to the players on this roster, most of them are extended trialists, for the lack of a better term.

We're all craving instant success, but that's just not in the cards. More waiting for players, which is frustrating but realistic. We at least identified earnshaw out of this group and Califf, which are improvements. One or two pieces that work out in each window slowly but surely it will come together

69Chevy396
I am shocked

notthesun
eat your hat lol

Not even kidding, I was typing up a response to this that went "you know what, maybe I'll try this again... if we tie this game I'll eat my shoe" and then Russell fucking scores. lol

Man some terrible non calls in the last minutes there. Could've had a free kick and snuck a win if the ref wasn't so damn inconsistent. Either be whistle-happy or not...

Lumpy
Good point from top team in the league. Moves us up to 6th place two points away from red-line.

ensco
Holy horseshoes. That moonshot pass from Braun to Russell on the goal, was that a ridiculously mis-hit shot?

Eastend
04-06-2013, 05:08 PM

How was that not deserved? 2 down with less then 15 to go and we get a draw? They stuck in there and didn't give up.

100% deserved, they fought for it.

Dom

p.s. All extremities frozen.

Gazza
04-06-2013, 05:09 PM
Holy horseshoes. That moonshot pass from Braun to Russell on the goal, was that a ridiculously mis-hit shot?

I was yelling at the tv, "nooooo! don't let Hall cross it in!" Then "Fuuuuuck, you can't cross a ball for shit either!" Maybe he meant to do it? haha.

notthesun
04-06-2013, 05:11 PM
Can we take a moment to highlight Agbossoumonde? Great performance from him today, he stepped up with Califf out. I know I wasn't the only one nearly passing out from holding my breath when Castillo took him on 1-on-1 in the 94th minute right on the by-line, but he totally knew what he was doing and easily came away with the ball. If that's Hall or Russell we're fucking toast.

james
04-06-2013, 05:11 PM
Team did not play well today, just like almost every game this year we had lack of shots, lack of quality chances and lack of completed passes in the other teams half of the field. However this team did have heart and like many games this year they got 1 lucky goal that gave them hope and they never gave up till the whistle blows which seems to have been the theme this year.

Sopo
04-06-2013, 05:12 PM

This never happens for us, we are usually giving up the late goals. It was nice to see the tables turn.
Deserved or not, you're right who cares, I'll take that point. Good last 15 minutes.

Stryker
04-06-2013, 05:13 PM
Bostock is great. He may have had a couple bad moments but he was also being double and triple teamed all game as opposing coaches realize how dangerous he is. If these two Argentinians coming in are all they're cracked up to be they'll make him look even better.

Yohan
04-06-2013, 05:13 PM
Can we take a moment to highlight Agbossoumonde? Great performance from him today, he stepped up with Califf out. I know I wasn't the only one nearly passing out from holding my breath when Castillo took him on 1-on-1 in the 94th minute right on the by-line, but he totally knew what he was doing and easily came away with the ball. If that's Hall or Russell we're fucking toast.
Agreed. Boss's positioning is questioned by his critics but he looked very solid. I think Califf is a short term solution too, considering his first step is so slow, but the Boss has shown this game that he's not totally junk.

billyfly
04-06-2013, 05:14 PM
How was that not deserved? 2 down with less then 15 to go and we get a draw? They stuck in there and didn't give up.

Dom

Come on......they played a horrible game. The term "deserved" can be defined many ways but you think that if they hadn't scored that 2nd goal people would be saying oh too bad we coulda got a point.

ManUtd4ever
04-06-2013, 05:14 PM
Finally, we turned the tables on the opponent in stoppage time!

Last week, a draw that felt like a loss. This week, a draw that feels like a victory.

I'll gladly take it against one of the top teams in the league.

Sweeper
04-06-2013, 05:15 PM
Great sub by Nelson. Silva has to play 90 every week and we need a top class midfielder to work with him.

billyfly
04-06-2013, 05:16 PM
Finally, we turned the tables on the opponent in stoppage time!

Last week, a draw that felt like a loss. This week, a draw that feels like a victory.

I'll gladly take it against one of the top teams in the league.

Yeah they deserved a win instead of a draw last week.

Richard
04-06-2013, 05:16 PM
Agreed. Boss's positioning is questioned by his critics but he looked very solid. I think Califf is a short term solution too, considering his first step is so slow, but the Boss has shown this game that he's not totally junk.

So what does this mean for Henry? Were reaching a point where a decision needs to be made, if Boss takes the backup spot then what is the future for Henry.

sashavukelich
04-06-2013, 05:17 PM
Loved the new attitude. Great strike from Russell. not happy with Osorio starting, but hey. Can't have it all.

Let's go TFC!!!

Stryker
04-06-2013, 05:19 PM
So what does this mean for Henry? Were reaching a point where a decision needs to be made, if Boss takes the backup spot then what is the future for Henry.
That will leave Henry exactly where he should be on a good team based on his skill... 4th choice CB.

james

Dom

At half we had 0 shots on target and 0 attempts on net. I don't know what the final count of shots was but any shot we had must of not come until late in the game, we were doing nothing for majority of the game. Some shots we did get later in the game were not even close to actually scoring as they were week attempts on net. That was not a well played game. The first goal also was a lucky fluke goal. The team did have heart tho i give them that, this team does care. But we can't rely on fluke goals and penalty shots exc. all year round. We need to actually learn to play a solid game.

lazlo_80
Credit to Neilsen, clearly there is a personality shift in this team. Can't remember the last time we came from behind to earn a point two weeks in a row.

Yohan
4th CB. Injuries and fatigue will eventually take its toll. I suppose Emory can be the 4th CB and Henry goes on loan