PDA

View Full Version : Julio Cesar released - how do you feel about this?

HuTor
03-29-2013, 04:28 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/m/touch/sports/sports-soccer/story/2013/03/29/sp-toronto-fc-julio-cesar-released.html

If I'm thinking about this, wouldn't be a big deal, because he was a solution just for this season, being 34.
My issue is only that now we'll see more of Dunfield and Hall STARTING in our midfield, and which is the worst possible scenario, both of them starting every once in a while.

Not that I'm a hater either of Dunny or Hall, but of course they are not starting player material on any MLS team that has a target better than being a bottom dweller.

Your thoughts on releasing Cesar?
Short time pain for long term gains?

Yohan
03-29-2013, 04:33 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/mls/story/?id=419388

Nelsen called Cesar a "great guy" and "really good professional" but acknowledged there were philosophical differences, with the Brazilian apparently unwilling to play the Toronto FC way. The manager did not elaborate, but it seems the move to part ways was Toronto's.
whatever that means...

Lumpy
03-29-2013, 04:38 PM
Good bye and good luck. I would say I'll miss him but he didn't play so there is nothing to miss.

HuTor
03-29-2013, 04:41 PM
"philosophical differences" lol

This is a BS kind of wording.

"Brazilian apparently unwilling to play the Toronto FC way" ---> WTF this wants to mean?

Derko
03-29-2013, 04:47 PM
"philosophical differences" lol

This is a BS kind of wording.

"Brazilian apparently unwilling to play the Toronto FC way" ---> WTF this wants to mean?

You haven't been here long, that's the kind of wording you have to ignore, maybe Payne has other players in mind.

MartinUtd
03-29-2013, 04:49 PM
Opens the door for Jermaine Jones?

Red CB Toronto
03-29-2013, 04:50 PM
I trust the choices Kevin Payne is making and will leave it to him to figure out what is best for the Reds.

Suds
03-29-2013, 04:58 PM
Well, considering he never played for us I can't say I'll miss him.

If a player is not in the plans it's best to let them go so they can find work and be happy elsewhere. No point in keeping a player if they will not be happy with the role the team has for them.

T-boy
03-29-2013, 05:02 PM
Opens the door for Jermaine Jones?

Has this come from anywhere, or just pure speculation?

TFC07
03-29-2013, 05:05 PM

whatever that means...[/FONT][/COLOR]

Maybe Cesar wasn't happy role Nelsen wanted him to play? I hope this doesn't turn out to be another "total football vs "direct long ball" issue that we had to deal with last season.

Ultra & Proud
03-29-2013, 05:06 PM
Has this come from anywhere, or just pure speculation?
Jones said this week that he was looking to come to MLS and we're first on the allocation pick list. We could take him or trade his rights like the McBride deal.

moralis
03-29-2013, 05:19 PM
Jermaine Jones agent pours cold water on rumours:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/03/28/american-exports-jermaine-jones-agent-pours-cold-water-rumored-mls-move

Like the others he will only join MLS later in his career

bigredone
03-29-2013, 05:20 PM
It is good for the young future leaders of TFC and Canadian football.

Cashcleaner
03-29-2013, 05:55 PM

whatever that means...[/FONT][/COLOR]

There are lot of ways to take that, but one thing should be noted: If the writer felt it was noteworthy enough to be published, the reader should take it under consideration.

As for my thoughts, I think Suds summed them up best. If I saw the guy take the field for more than just 20 minutes in the pre-season I'd probably have more to say about this news. When he was first signed I certainly thought there was some potential in him, but that's all I can really say.

Oldtimer
03-29-2013, 06:16 PM
'Philosophical differences" means he won't listen to the coach. We've had way too many players at TFC who weren't team players despite good talent. If you're going to change a team's culture, that's a great place to start.

IMO the only reason we thought he was interesting was that we thought just maybe we could bench one of two marginal players.

It happens all the time, new players don't fit. I'd like to let Nelsen decide who will play for him without getting too worried about one player who was at best a one year player in a rebuilding year.

Detroit_TFC
03-29-2013, 06:26 PM
Maybe with the back line coming together better than expected, having Cesar around wasn't as important. Add in some discipline issues and him on a non-guaranteed contract, Payne probably thought it would be better just to have the salary cap space back.

Abou Sky
03-29-2013, 06:54 PM
KP and RN have forgotten more about soccer than I will ever know so I will go with their decisions.

Hall and Terry D have looked pretty good so far.

OgtheDim
03-29-2013, 07:29 PM
Random thoughts:

Disappointing

Would like to hear a full story on this one but don't suspect we will

He was just talking this week about his role with the team this season

Did he not accept that he would be on the bench?

Spent a few weeks looking forward to seeing him play with Frings in front of the back four. Mourning that bit of optimism

Wondering about that important DM role because I don't think our current two IM's are long term solutions there

Oh, and this must have been sudden given http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2013/03/julio-cesar-nearing-game-action was published 3 days ago.

FluSH
03-29-2013, 07:42 PM
This is good...rather cut the losses now and move on than waste time.

habstfc
03-29-2013, 08:15 PM
Perhaps his injury is worse than we think. That could also play in to it.

notthesun
03-29-2013, 08:19 PM
Worse thing about it is we have to keep starting Hall and Dunfield.

Hopefully Payne brings someone in soon.

[NBF]
03-29-2013, 08:26 PM

I guess KP was talking about Cesar when he said their was a player they wanted to buy out. J.B.B. sounds good about now.

Ajax TFC
03-29-2013, 08:45 PM
I had high hopes for a Cesar - Bekker DM partnership. I'm not sure that Hall or Dunfield can partner Bekker, so we're stuck with both of them and an out of position Bekker unless RN decides to use Russell as a DM rather than a fullback

ensco
03-29-2013, 08:49 PM

How can this be true? We have wasted a meaningful roster spot in training, and possibly a meaningful amount of cap space, on a player who never saw the field.

It may not be bad, we'll see, but it can't be good.

notthesun
03-29-2013, 09:01 PM
Wonder if Osorio might pick up a few more minutes of playing time in the interim now...

Ajax TFC
03-29-2013, 09:10 PM
Wonder if Osorio might pick up a few more minutes of playing time in the interim now...
I'm sure that all the minutes that Cesar got will now go to Osorio

SKB
03-29-2013, 09:57 PM
I believe that Julio was released for two reasons. First of all, I believe that TFC is very close to bringing some of the new rumoured players in. I was listening to Ryan on the soccer show yesterday and he indicated we should not worry about the new players. So very close to completing the deal or deals. He seemed very confident about this and more than one were coming. Also some of the younger players are looking good. So need the cap space and on an overall talent basis Julio be came expendable.

FluSH
03-29-2013, 10:20 PM
How can this be true? We have wasted a meaningful roster spot in training, and possibly a meaningful amount of cap space, on a player who never saw the field.

It may not be bad, we'll see, but it can't be good.

cap space, how much are we looking at here?

ensco
03-29-2013, 10:24 PM

Dunno. If it's 20K, who cares? If it's half his salary (ie $100K or something) that's different.

Yohan
03-29-2013, 10:25 PM
he was making 250k with KC. I suspect his TFC salary was in 150-200k range

Richard
03-29-2013, 10:30 PM
Once again TFC fail to do due diligence.

Whatever, just hope were not restarting the franchise again and same position in 1 or 2 years from now.

Auzzy
03-29-2013, 10:35 PM
All I can say is, too bad that didn't work out. Still hoping for reinforcements.

Does anyone know, releasing him at this point in the season, do we get all or part of Cesar's cap hit back?

Yohan
03-29-2013, 10:42 PM

Whatever, just hope were not restarting the franchise again and same position in 1 or 2 years from now.
some big balls KP has, cutting Julio Cesar just as he was about to be healthy. ironic, considering torontofc.ca just ran a story on Cesar

we all knew that Cesar was a stop gap measure. at 34, he was not going to be a long term solution. KP saw desperate lack of talent in TFC squad. Saw Julio Cesar available for immediate improvement in quality, but was smart enough to sign him to a non guaranteed contract (well, this would be smart thing to do). Fast forward to now and improvement in the squad at DM, at least to level that makes Cesar expendable. ruthless, yes. pragmatic, hell yes.

it sucks for Cesar that he got cut now though

Yohan
03-29-2013, 10:43 PM

some big balls KP has, cutting Julio Cesar just as he was about to be healthy. ironic, considering torontofc.ca just ran a story on Cesar

we all knew that Cesar was a stop gap measure. at 34, he was not going to be a long term solution. KP saw desperate lack of talent in TFC squad. Saw Julio Cesar available for immediate improvement in quality, but was smart enough to sign him to a non guaranteed contract (well, this would be smart thing to do). Fast forward to now and improvement in the squad at DM, at least to level that makes Cesar expendable. ruthless, yes. pragmatic, hell yes.

it sucks for Cesar that he got cut now though. but I don't think KP and Nelsen could have imagined the roster would turn out to be better than they expected at this stage of rebuilding.

dutch
03-29-2013, 11:02 PM
I have all faith in KP & RN. some things they are doing which I respect to the utmost is placing priority in youth, and usually that means the cheaper players for the roster since they havent got much of a resume and are hungrier. They repeatedly say " we want people who place more in winning as a team than winning as an individual" and than theres the injury which none of us know about. between those three issues. I would have to say the issue lies in that trinity, and truthfully I dont need to know more. I hope these guys keep working at what theyve been preaching. amen lol