PDA

View Full Version : TFC losing it's luster?

Pachuco
07-17-2008, 06:38 PM
What the heck is up with ticket sales for the Montreal game? There are tickets available from $35.00 and up. I just checked for the fun of it.

1. Some may say that it's because we are playing a USL team
2. Others may say it's because it's on a Tuesday
3. Some may say it's because most people don't know that there are tickets available to these games. As of last year, most people make the assumption that you can't get tickets to TFC games.

BUT, could it be because they are losing their momentum and people just don't care as much anymore? I'm personally a little worried because I bought 6 tickets to this game and none of my buddies have really jumped at the chance to go, FOR FREE!

Ladies Love Julius James
07-17-2008, 06:39 PM
I capitalized and grabbed me 2 for 25$...the way I see it..it's the most important game for TFC this year, thus far. Can't wait.

Azerban
07-17-2008, 06:47 PM
Good.

arbogast
07-17-2008, 06:50 PM
What the heck is up with ticket sales for the Montreal game? There are tickets available from $35.00 and up. I just checked for the fun of it.

3. Some may say it's because most people don't know that there are tickets available to these games. As of last year, most people make the assumption that you can't get tickets to TFC games.

BUT, could it be because they are losing their momentum and people just don't care as much anymore? I'm personally a little worried because I bought 6 tickets to this game and none of my buddies have really jumped at the chance to go, FOR FREE!

I got mine plus 4 more for both Van and MTL. I've talked to a few STH in my office who stuck thier noses up at the Cup matches because the teams were USL. Others I kow couldn't because it's the middle of summer holiday season. Plus...there's absolutely no press, I mean if you didn't go to the team website everyday or read the boards, you'd never know it's going on. I think there's a whole host of issues at play.

Cambridge_Red
07-17-2008, 06:50 PM
Had to sell mine (facevalue) to a friend. Tuesday's can't be done for me and it really sucks cause this game is so important.

Nuvinho
07-17-2008, 06:51 PM
I think people don't know what the tournament is about, which makes a big difference. I had to explain to a bunch of people that its the biggest game in franchise history, and that if we win, we raise the cup, etc.

Next year, they should just scrap the friendlies, add the Canada Cup games, and advertise about it more.

Pachuco
07-17-2008, 06:53 PM
I think people don't know what the tournament is about, which makes a big difference. I had to explain to a bunch of people that its the biggest game in franchise history, and that if we win, we raise the cup, etc.

Next year, they should just scrap the friendlies, add the Canada Cup games, and advertise about it more.

I hear ya man. I've spent the last two weeks saying July 22nd is the biggest day in TFC's franchise history and all I get is......"but they are playing some team from a lower league" Arrrrghh.

trane
07-17-2008, 06:54 PM
I am glad there are tickets for the game, I have not had a chance to pick them up.

CanadaLFC
07-17-2008, 06:55 PM
I called ticketmaster just see how many tickets were available. She said that approximately 200 tickets are still available and that the sales will pick up close to the event date.

Pachuco
07-17-2008, 06:57 PM
I called ticketmaster just see how many tickets were available. She said that approximately 200 tickets are still available and that the sales will pick up close to the event date.

If there are only 200 tickets available then I take it all back. That's not bad at all :)

jayeden
07-17-2008, 06:57 PM
id rather see a stadium of 13000-14000 supporters than a stadium full of people who gave away their tickets becuase its not the beckham game.

13CP
07-17-2008, 06:59 PM
^ Even more true when your tickets are in the west side and no one seems to care for whats going on the field "so tell me about that golf club that you recently joined. Good course?"

Carts
07-17-2008, 07:03 PM
Based on how many people showed up for the last friendly, a game that meant "technically" nothing - on a week day, the answer is NO, they're not losing their luster...

Carts...

Bluenose13
07-17-2008, 07:17 PM
Based on how many people showed up for the last friendly, a game that meant "technically" nothing - on a week day, the answer is NO, they're not losing their luster...

Carts...So true & pretty impressive.

Pachuco
07-17-2008, 07:18 PM

Carts...

There was alot of Argentinians/South Americans there. That's a little different.

ensco
07-17-2008, 07:44 PM

When it comes to these kinds of stats, Ticketmaster is not Big Bruva in the truthfulness department. If you ask them how the Buffalo Bills tickets are doing, they will say they only have "scattered" seats left, but apparently there are 1000s available.

Oblio2
07-17-2008, 08:18 PM
Had to offload my ticket to my brother....My wife is gonna pop anytime now and I have been forbidden to go to games till August!!!!
:(

Flipityflu
07-17-2008, 08:23 PM
ticketmaster are scum and really need to be investigated and punished for what they have done to the ticket selling business.

Corcai
07-17-2008, 08:25 PM
All the best Oblio2. Nothing but poop and anxiety for the first few months but after that it's pretty awesome. First One?

kodiakTFC
07-17-2008, 08:42 PM
I think the game has sold quite well too be honest and agree that next season it should be apart of peoples season ticket packages. However, a lot of fans are the kinds of people who would love to go to a game and say they are fans but 1. don't watch games on tv 2. don't look for tickets.

Super
07-17-2008, 08:42 PM
I don't think people understand the whole "Champions League" factor in this as well. They think it's a new and really unimportant Canadian cup that quite frankly has little kick to it. To me it was always about the Champions League. Not about winning a Canadian title. We should've put Vancouver and Montreal away by now. It's shameful that we have to go down to the last game before the winner is decided. MLS should be miles ahead of USL. Hopefully the lads won't let us down on Tuesday. Champions League should be ours!

BigTingsGwan
07-17-2008, 08:44 PM
Yes TFC is loosing it's lustre... Sell your season's , bag up your red gear:):):):):)

giambac
07-17-2008, 09:24 PM

to my ased tickets in total. I have only been able to get rid of 7 for my family and friends. There isnèt interest in my last 3 tickets. I offered them to my buddies at work (no charge) and no one wans them. I even offered them to the players on my sons soccer ep team and they werenèt intertested.

Pachuco
07-17-2008, 09:33 PM
Yes TFC is loosing it's lustre... Sell your season's , bag up your red gear:):):):):)

If TFC loses all it's fans and there is only 1 season ticket sold that would probably be me!!

BigTingsGwan
07-17-2008, 09:36 PM
If TFC loses all it's fans and there is only 1 season ticket sold that would probably be me!!

Fill the south end with only Lunatics..Ahh One can dream:)

Cuchulain
07-17-2008, 09:49 PM
I think the media isn't covering the team the way it could. TFC news should be sports section front page news. This time of year, Blue Jays, Argos, TFC should headline. Golf, Oympics, everything else turn the page.

el rojo fanatico
07-17-2008, 09:52 PM
I don't think people understand the whole "Champions League" factor in this as well. They think it's a new and really unimportant Canadian cup that quite frankly has little kick to it. To me it was always about the Champions League. Not about winning a Canadian title. We should've put Vancouver and Montreal away by now. It's shameful that we have to go down to the last game before the winner is decided. MLS should be miles ahead of USL. Hopefully the lads won't let us down on Tuesday. Champions League should be ours!
So true, i'm sick of trying to explain what this Canadian Cup will lead too.
It is very shocking to me that even if you have not much intrest in the Can. Cup, the thought of a must win against Mtl. would not bring out the sporting fan in this city. It was so hard to listen to the soccer show tonight and have Nigel keep telling people that there are tickets still on sale for the biggest match in BMO's short history.

koryo
07-17-2008, 10:42 PM
The fact that there is so little interest in this coming Tuesday - THE SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT GAME FOR THIS CLUB TO-DATE - tells you everything you need to know about how many, many people view this team - STH or no.

BigTingsGwan
07-17-2008, 11:15 PM
look at it on the bright side tho.. Mostly people who understand the importance of this game, and want to attend will be there. Less Lustre loving lad's isnt such a bad thing IMO.

profit89
07-17-2008, 11:47 PM

It's not miles ahead. That's why i argue for promotion/relegation system with usl-1

Fort York Redcoat
07-18-2008, 07:25 AM
Great points in here. Try to explain to a newb what a Champions league is. It's difficult to sell the tournament to people who barely know Manchester United much less Club America or Boca Juniors. The promoters concentrate on the all-Canada aspect because it seems like more people would prefer just playing these big team friendlies now instead of earning the right to play them in a tournament down the road. I'm bringing my sis from out of town to her first match Tues. I think she may be in for a different sporting experience. BTW anyone heard about any Limpact ers coming down to the big smoke for some big fun?

redcard
07-18-2008, 07:43 AM
to my ased tickets in total. I have only been able to get rid of 7 for my family and friends. There isnèt interest in my last 3 tickets. I offered them to my buddies at work (no charge) and no one wans them. I even offered them to the players on my sons soccer ep team and they werenèt intertested.

maybe your friends could care less about the sport, i have a hard time of keeping my friends happy...i try to pick up as many tickets as possible for them, and they still want more...face value is good enough for me, as long as we have real fans in there.

Carts
07-18-2008, 07:57 AM
There was alot of Argentinians/South Americans there. That's a little different.

Considering the stadium was still a sea of red, there was maybe what, a couple thousand of 18,000 fans there...??? And that's losing luster...???

No, 15,000-16,000 fans showing up for a meaningless mid-week friendly - joined by 2,000-3,000 other supporters in our very multicultural city, that's not losing its luster...

The bottom line, there was 1,500 empty seats in a 20,000 seat stadium...

I love how people try to pick at everything and anything to complain about...

Carts...

Oldtimer
07-18-2008, 08:01 AM
BTW anyone heard about any Limpact ers coming down to the big smoke for some big fun?

They are sending one bus. They'll arrive early, take in such things as the Hockey Hall of Fame, then make it down to the game.

Their itinerary does not include going to one of our supporters' pubs. They'll do their own thing.

Maple Leaf Red
07-18-2008, 08:05 AM

There were nowhere near as many as there had been for last year's inaugural friendly. I was actually surprised at how few there were and only one Falklands comment from the British seniors' crew sitting behind me which must have taken some restraint.

Jay P
07-18-2008, 08:06 AM
i've been trying to get my friends to buy tickets to tuesdays game, telling them its the single most important game to date, not only that, the people that bought tickets in the south end, I'm telling them to bring their voices, cause this is the one game we've got to be the 12th man.

CanadaLFC
07-18-2008, 08:17 AM
It's a tough sell for those outside the footy culture so to speak. A lot of us are used to our football teams in different competitions (i.ei prem, CL, Uefa Cup), but in the North American sport's culture it's very much just competing in one league (i.e. TML only playing in the NHL). I think the idea of one team competing in various competition can be confusing for a person who isn't a football fanatic but rather goes to TFC game to enjoy the atmosphere and cheer on our colours. I wouldn't say that a lot of them aren't real supporters, but football is just begging to take off in this country, so there will be a bit of confusion along the way. That plus, as someone said earlier, the lack of marketing as the biggest game in TFC history to date.

olegunnar
07-18-2008, 08:21 AM
I also think there's a bit of footie saturation for the the casual fans.
3-4 games a month is probably fine with them, but asking for 6-8 is a bit too much.

Since the tickets for this competition were sold separately, and after most people had made their summer schedules, I think a lot of casual fans thought, "I've got my seasons", or "I've done my stub hub or ticketmaster pre-sale" , and that's all I need for this season.
The extra games were just that..."extras".

Bobo
07-18-2008, 09:37 AM
If there are only 200 tickets available then I take it all back. That's not bad at all :)

Can I still take those free tickets?:D

Razcle
07-18-2008, 10:23 AM
I have to agree with a lot of the comments on here in regards to TFC NOT losing its luster. I do feel that the average fan assumes that tickets are limited and like the TML, doesn't look into availablity since the STH number is so high. I also know for a fact that many people have no concept of Champions League as we don't see that in any other professional sport in this country. There is preseason, season and playoffs and thats it.

I took advantage of this opportunity knowing that tickets wouldn't be in high demand due to the type of game it is, the day and the cost to be able to bring 10 of my buddies out to the game. Not one of them has any concept of Champions league but they were all super suprised to hear of available tickets at affordable prices for a TFC game.

Anyways, I hope the stadium is full as I view this as TFC's most important game in franchaise history and although I would have preferred to have this thing wrapped up in Vancouver, I am exceited that I will be a part of the madness that will be on the 22nd. ALL we need is the three points....Let's get er done

Pachuco
07-18-2008, 10:41 AM
Considering the stadium was still a sea of red, there was maybe what, a couple thousand of 18,000 fans there...??? And that's losing luster...???

No, 15,000-16,000 fans showing up for a meaningless mid-week friendly - joined by 2,000-3,000 other supporters in our very multicultural city, that's not losing its luster...

Carts...

You are obviously missing the point and not reading my posts. DO I LOOK LIKE I'M COMPLAINING???

I love how people don't read shit and put words into people's mouths!!!

Pachuco
07-18-2008, 10:43 AM

Carts...

Oh, and my concern was about the fact that there are still tickets for sale for Toronto's biggest game ever. TICKETS AT $35.00

dupont
07-18-2008, 10:47 AM
Oh, and my concern was about the fact that there are still tickets for sale for Toronto's biggest game ever. TICKETS AT $35.00

Really? I just punched it up on Ticketmaster and it says no more for $35

Pachuco
07-18-2008, 11:46 AM
Really? I just punched it up on Ticketmaster and it says no more for $35

Yesterday at the time of my first post I found lots for $35. Guess they are all gone.

Rawkus_420
07-18-2008, 11:51 AM
Most important game in TFC history so far....Its our chance at a trophy, as meaningless as the trophy may be....the champions league will be great to watch if we beat the nicaraguan champs.

Blizzard
07-18-2008, 12:00 PM
I hear ya man. I've spent the last two weeks saying July 22nd is the biggest day in TFC's franchise history and all I get is......"but they are playing some team from a lower league" Arrrrghh.

I too believe that to be the major problem but I've been able to sell some folks on the match so it can be done.

Also, remember, this is the first year of the tournament. It will get bigger and bigger as the years go by.

Also also, as many of us believe, these matches should be part of the STH package with the friendlies disappearing. That will make a difference as well.

Right now we are dealing with a combination of ignorance and apathy.

Give it some time.

B

rocker
07-18-2008, 12:08 PM
I took my buddy to the independiente game...

let me give you the bio on this guy:
1) he was telling me he watched all the Euro games recently and gave me a fine scouting report on the German and Spanish sides
2) he PLAYED on the BMO pitch under the bubble last winter
3) he's knowledgeable about Euro teams and has attended matches in Europe and south america

YET.... he had never attended a TFC game until the Independiente match!! He had heard of TFC but didn't know jack about MLS (he even asked me what league TFC is in). He hadn't heard of the atmosphere and the south end.

I think there's still an untapped market out there. At the Independiente game, he was yellin at the Argentines, yelling at the TFC players when they messed up, praisin' Ibrahim, lovin the Carlsberg patio and the Peameal Bacon sandwich... he said it was the perfect little stadium for soccer and he was totally into everything there (plus the chicks walking by). And I had to apologize that the quality of play wasn't quite up to the usual standard and the chants weren't quite as good as a league game. But he would have none of my apologies and said it rocked ... and he wants me to get him tickets in the future.

If a guy like this had no clue about TFC, then I wouldn't worry too much when Canadian championship games don't sell out right away or whatever. It doesn't speak to much of a degree of the greater interest out there. People just need to be turned on.

Carts
07-18-2008, 12:19 PM
Most important game in TFC history so far....Its our chance at a trophy, as meaningless as the trophy may be....the champions league will be great to watch if we beat the nicaraguan champs.

I'd say the Carlsberg Cup was a meaningless trophy...

Taking home the hardware in the first Canadian Championship and moving into the next Concacaf Champions League stage is not meaningless...

Carts...

CanadaLFC
07-18-2008, 12:20 PM

I don't think this trophy is meaningless at all. It gives the winner the title of the best professional Canadian football team. Sure, the competition would be worth a lot more if CSL teams were to be included too, but for right now we are battling for supremacy of Canadian football, as well as qualifying for the CL. Were the competition to finish today, we would not be the best team in Canada as that would go to Montreal, so it proves that we are not miles ahead of the Whitecaps and Impact.

FIL T
07-18-2008, 01:18 PM

Bottom line is that the general sports fan in this city doesn't know what this tournament is about - to most this just seems like another exhibition game.

There needs to be more emphasis placed on this - better marketing etc.

BUT soccer in this city is here to stay - this team and league has done many things right and being a city/region filled with immigrants who love soccer, people love the idea of having their own team to cheer for.

cdnbono
07-18-2008, 08:08 PM
I tried to get tickets for this match last night and the only tickets left were $80 seats row 3

thats to bad I was hoping to make to it to the game. still hope ill make it there

marquis
07-18-2008, 08:13 PM
I tried to get tickets for this match last night and the only tickets left were $80 seats row 3

thats to bad I was hoping to make to it to the game. still hope ill make it there

I just tried now - there are $55 tickets available.

profit89
07-18-2008, 08:29 PM
...I wouldn't worry too much when Canadian championship games don't sell out right away or whatever. It doesn't speak to much of a degree of the greater interest out there. People just need to be turned on.

QFT.

burlingtonguy3
07-19-2008, 06:28 AM
It's not miles ahead. That's why i argue for promotion/relegation system with usl-1

I think a relegation factor would increase credibility to the image of North American soccer. I watched the Montreal Impact game last night and it wasn't half bad. I've watched much worse games in MLS this year then watching Montreal score 3 pretty nice goals over Miami.

Take the bottom team in each conference (oh even better, scrap the stupid conferences altogether) and bring the top two USL-1 teams up.

Mo and MLSE will have more incentive to give us those strikers we so desperately need

Razcle
07-19-2008, 08:06 AM

People have been emailing me all day from Kijiji and craigslist for $30-40 tickets. That doesn't mean that lost of seats are available, but try a different avenue and you will find somet tickets at reasonable prices

rocker
07-19-2008, 08:33 AM
promotion/relegation isn't going to help bring in fans, that's for sure.
the last thing you want to do is relegate a team when you're trying to build a fanbase of people who didn't necessarily grow up in europe.

you also can't add franchises and have relegation, since it's pretty much guaranteed the team would be relegated after its first season. You wouldn't get the investment for teams, and you wouldn't have the same quality of play in the second season, turning off new fans.

relegation is great in a country where the sport is #1. If there was promotion/relegation in hockey in Ontario, the teams would be fine.... fanbases would be there no matter what. but with soccer, it's not worth it. it doesn't provide any added value for north american fans.

Razcle
07-19-2008, 09:37 AM
promotion/relegation isn't going to help bring in fans, that's for sure.
the last thing you want to do is relegate a team when you're trying to build a fanbase of people who didn't necessarily grow up in europe.

you also can't add franchises and have relegation, since it's pretty much guaranteed the team would be relegated after its first season. You wouldn't get the investment for teams, and you wouldn't have the same quality of play in the second season, turning off new fans.

relegation is great in a country where the sport is #1. If there was promotion/relegation in hockey in Ontario, the teams would be fine.... fanbases would be there no matter what. but with soccer, it's not worth it. it doesn't provide any added value for north american fans.

But if you look at it from the other side of view, let's say that you gain entry into the 2 tiered system through the bottom tier and have a few years of mediocre soccer before you make it to the top tier, in that amount of time your fan base should still be growing and would spike upwards once entry into the top tier occurs.

However I do not know if MLS/MLS2 would have enough quality yet to bring mass amounts of people to a second tier league. Not unless the USL was converted....

However this is a huge pipe dream and does not fit the current structure of the league.