PDA

View Full Version : Ephraim?

Abou Sky
03-25-2013, 08:55 PM
I don't think three games is enough to say 'sign him' or 'ditch him' but can some of the better soccer minds here let me know what they think?

Personally I have been underwhealmed, he doesn't seem to work hard enough to either defend or attack. (Earnshaw takes on the 'first line of defense' VERY well)

Basically, he has seemed to be mostly invisible.

Any Championship fans here see much of him with QPR/Leeds etc? Is this all 'par for the course' for him or is he underperforming or ???

notthesun
03-25-2013, 09:11 PM
I think invisible is a little harsh. A foot lower on that volley last week and he'd have a goal, remember.

He has a great first touch (watch his take in the box on Bostock's pass which he then nearly crossed towards Earnshaw against Montreal in the 29th minute) and has struck me as keen to involve his teammates in the play so far. I would like to see more from him though. There were times where I thought he was a bit too hesitant to take on his man. I think he's better suited to left wing than the central role he's had the past two games. We'll see where he plays if Silva starts this weekend/when the Argentinian finally arrives.

Too early to say whether he's a keeper or not but I think he has more to offer than we've seen thus far.

BuSaPuNk
03-25-2013, 09:19 PM
I noticed in the montreal game he seems to get really upset at team mates if they don't do runs he was waiting for. Seen him screaming and pointing alot when passes would go astray. Not sure if he's just not used to the talent gap from what he's used to or if its just part of his character.

Don't get me wrong I like what he brings to the squad. I think he just needs some time to adjust. It will be nice when we finally get everyone healthy and get a few games with a soild starting 11 and they start to build some chemistry.

Pint
03-25-2013, 09:29 PM
Play him in his natural position again and not behind the striker and lets see what we have before making judgement. He seams like much more of a setup player than a finisher.

JohnnyEnglish
03-26-2013, 03:51 AM
I’ve seen a fair amount of him in the championship, he’s a decent squad player. Didn’t get a lot of game time last season so I’d expect 5 or so games to settle. He’s a useful enough player, can play anywhere across the middle or off the front man but probably most effective behind the front man in the current system.
I think he has done alright so far. Seems an intelligent player, he has made a couple of runs to pull away the defender from earnshaw and make a bit of space, gives the ball carrier the short option to help retain possession and interchanges well with Bostock who similarly can play off the the front man so that adds another dimension.

Super
03-26-2013, 07:57 AM
I thought he was one of our better players against Montreal. He was pumped, aggressive, and really fought for the team. I think it's players with his mentality that we've been lacking in our first years as a club. It's still early, so I won't sign or ditch the lad over just a few games, but personally I thought he's been quite good. He also forced the awkward KC pass that gave Earnshaw his first goal for the club.

Phil
03-26-2013, 08:12 AM
You have to remember, he has not seen game conditions for a long time either. He was relagated to sitting as QPR had so many bodies signed. I doubt he got much time in practice either.

BuSaPuNk
03-26-2013, 08:24 AM
That is true coming from sitting on the bench and just practice time to game conditions doesn't help. He needs to adapt to playing in game conditions. As soon as he does I think he can really command the ball around the box.

T-boy
03-26-2013, 08:42 AM
It's far too early to make a good assessment of any of the new players.

tfcleeds
03-26-2013, 08:53 AM
Too early to tell. I thought his game against Montreal was his best so far, but I think he's more suited to playing on the wing. And yes, he's barely played the last few months, so he needs time to adjust.

ag futbol
03-26-2013, 09:13 AM
It will be easier to evaluate him once we replace Hall and Dunfield in the starting lineup. Right now, our attacking players are fighting the numbers when they receive the ball. Neither Hall or Dunfield can consistently find attackers in good places or provide proper support in the form of a safe passing outlet or late attacking run. That just clogs everything up on the field and makes it look like we are playing channel football.

T-boy
03-26-2013, 09:18 AM
It will be easier to evaluate him once we replace Hall and Dunfield in the starting lineup. Right now, our attacking players are fighting the numbers when they receive the ball. Neither Hall or Dunfield can consistently find attackers in good places or provide proper support in the form of a safe passing outlet or late attacking run. That just clogs everything up on the field and makes it look like we are playing channel football.

Going on that thinking, Earnshaw is going to score ten goals every game once Dunfield and Hall are replaced! And Bostock is going to knit a sweater, make coffee, do his ironing, AND play football on the wing all at the same time!

Ajax TFC
03-26-2013, 09:30 AM
personally, I thought he was shit in the first two games. He clearly had skill, but he seemed to dribble by players for the sake of it rather than to actually get to a better position. But in the Montreal game I thought he was really quite good whenever he was on the ball.

Canary10
03-26-2013, 10:13 AM
Going on that thinking, Earnshaw is going to score ten goals every game once Dunfield and Hall are replaced! And Bostock is going to knit a sweater, make coffee, do his ironing, AND play football on the wing all at the same time!

That's exactly what I expect, yes.

Yohan
03-26-2013, 10:40 AM
Too early to tell.

Most players need about half season to figure the league out.

jloome
03-26-2013, 10:51 AM
That's exactly what I expect, yes.

LOL (clap clap, well played sir.)

brad
03-26-2013, 02:48 PM
It's far too early to make a good assessment of any of the new players.

This....

Sally Mack
04-04-2013, 11:22 AM
I can't blame ephraim for lack of effort... Bostock on the other hand? Most of the time he looks disinterested... at least ephraim LOOKS like he wants to play and contribute. But as others said... too early to judge either of them. These are just first impressions.