PDA

View Full Version : The Terry Dunfield Omnibus Thread

MartinUtd
03-22-2013, 10:23 AM
Since everybody's favourite topic of conversation comes up in every thread, I figured why not make a place for it?

He's cheap, he's domestic, he gets the job done better than any of our other depth midfielders.
Unfortunately he's got narrow vision, passes the ball backwards too often and is slow to recover when he's beat.

There's probably a whole lot more to add to that by people who know the game better than I do.

Having said that, here's the most recent page of the TFC general player moves thread:

T-boy
I'm not a mod here, but I don't think I'm out of turn suggesting that every time we read somebody's comments about hating Dunfield, we should just ignore it. Otherwise every thread is going to end up a giant argument about Dunfield, even if the thread isn't originally about him! Love him or hate him, Terry is a TFC player.
---
bigredone
Terry's Football Club! On the pitch, off the pitch, and coming off the pitch he always has time for fans from what I experienced.
---
Canary10
I really don't understand why so many people hate Dunfield so much. I totally agree he's not a starter on this team, but he's a perfectly decent 75th minute sub. He's been put in the position of starting due to injuries and the fact that we don't have a commanding central midfielder with presence and vision. Why take that out on him?
Personally, I think Richard Eckersley deserves to get the flack Dunfield does. His forward runs are aimless, his crossing is shit, he's overly aggressive and always goes through the backs of people giving up fouls in dangerous areas, and he costs a lot of money. I can't figure out why people love him so much and hate Dunny.
---
Ultra & Proud
I think because when Winter was canned a few people targeted Dunfield as the "Mariner's" type of no talent hack and it snowballed. I find on all the boards that once a small group starts having a go at a certain player for whatever reason (factual or not) and multiple threads spiral into 'player X' bashing that the sentiment generally spreads and then the lemmings follow. Then when pressed most folks will point to whatever argument the original bashers presented, in Dunfield's case that he can't pass, can't shoot, and can't run. And you are 100% correct, Eckersley should be found guilty of all of the same offenses minus the running part but makes up for it with poor positioning and he costs almost 5x as much as Dunny and also uses an international spot. And he is the reigning player of the year.
---
Corpand
Dunfield has started to grow on me this season. I believe he divided the fanbase so much last year was because he was played in a formation that was not playing towards his strengths. This year he is allowed to sit back more, bring his head up and pick out passes for the wings and sometimes chip it over for Earnshaw. I have paid special attention to him specifically when we play and he does things only an older, more experienced player knows how to do.

Cuts off passing lanes in 2v1 situations effectively
Dictates the pace of the game at times effectively
Actually connects his through passes well and has created a few dangerous situations. He just needs to tone it down emotionally at times, I feel the team`s mood greatly impacts him and causes him to cause rash tackles (when we are chasing a game).

I think if he stays injury free, he has the potential to stay on this team for a while longer. The man needs to keep his stamina up though, he will lose much of his appeal if he starts getting winded around the 60th min. Now he just huffs and puffs away the full 90. I like.

Auzzy
03-22-2013, 10:38 AM
I endorse this thread, thanks for putting it up!

Chevy
03-22-2013, 10:48 AM
Can't have a Dunny thread without this pic.
http://www.lechampions.it/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/terrydunfield.jpg

Joe Kool
03-22-2013, 10:51 AM
Leader of Men...

Ultra & Proud
03-22-2013, 10:55 AM
Corpand's post should bolded and put right at the top as it pretty much says it all. Good post.

Canary10
03-22-2013, 10:55 AM
I agree there is probably some mis-directed Paul Mariner hate coming to Dunfield. And watching Dunny stand over a free kick like he's Cronaldo got me rolling my eyes a couple of times last year. But if we can get the central midfield sorted (is Cesar really on this team?) then Dunfield's role will subside a bit and we won't need to talk about him as much.

tfcleeds
03-22-2013, 10:59 AM
Terry Dunfield = the most polarizing figure on TFC since DeRo. He deserved his own thread.

jabbronies
03-22-2013, 11:01 AM
@Canary10 said it best - I totally agree he's not a starter on this team, but he's a perfectly decent 75th minute sub

To add to that - I totally agree he's not a starter on this team, but he's a perfectly decent 75th minute sub if we are tied or trying to hold a lead.

Get in there, boot the fucking ball as far away from our goal as possible, break up any sort of attack that may be forming against us in the midfield.
Slide tackle, run over people, whatever Dunny's gotta do to get the ball away from our 18 yard box, he'll do it.

But don't expect him to score a goal or setup a game winning/tying goal .

synkronized1
03-22-2013, 11:16 AM
I've posted I think three times on this board and probably two of them have been in support of dirty dunfield. He plays hard and puts his 100% out there every game. Does it make up for his lack of raw talent, no. But I'd rather cheer him on because of his attitude and drive (people will groan but whatever you can't please everyone). He did score 6 goals last year though in all competitions... Just saying I know he's not a sniper but he does contribute to the team waaay more than others that don't get nearly the same flack. Maybe he's a great leader in the dressing room as well who knows. I'll continue to wear my dunfield jersey with pride. I hope he stays at TFC for some time even though my GF says once you get a players name on your jersey it's the kiss of death and he'll be gone sooner than later. haha.

Ultra & Proud
03-22-2013, 11:21 AM
True he can chip in with a goal or two for sure and that is a bonus but I see him as that late match destroyer that disrupts the other team's flow when they come in waves to hold leads or maintain important draws.

OfficeGuy
03-22-2013, 11:27 AM
True he can chip in with a goal or two for sure and that is a bonus but I see him as that late match destroyer that disrupts the other team's flow when they come in waves to hold leads or maintain important draws.

agreed....Dunfield has been consistent in his play and role - he fits in well with salary and output.....

MartinUtd
03-22-2013, 11:33 AM
He does know how to use his head inside the opponents box... something we've had trouble getting strikers to do in the past.

I was just trying to look up the 2013 salary info, has it been released yet? All I could find were the 2012 numbers and it had Dunfield making a reasonable $86,000. I think at that price you'd have a hard time justifying his release especially when you compare that to other midfielders that didn't get regular time last year:

---------base/guarenteed
Avila - 125k / 158k
J. Hall - 100k / 149k
Maund - 44k / 59k

I can't remember which number applies to the cap but either way we have the first two making a fair bit more while Maund is cheap, he's no where near MLS ready.

Carts
03-22-2013, 11:35 AM
BEST 23 IN THE LEAGUE...!!!

Of course, that chant had more weight to it when Beckham was with LA - but it still applies... :)

Ultra & Proud
03-22-2013, 11:36 AM
He does know how to use his head inside the opponents box... something we've had trouble getting strikers to do in the past.

I was just trying to look up the 2013 salary info, has it been released yet? All I could find were the 2012 numbers and it had Dunfield making a reasonable $86,000. I think at that price you'd have a hard time justifying his release especially when you compare that to other midfielders that didn't get regular time last year:

---------base/guarenteed
Avila - 125k / 158k
J. Hall - 100k / 149k
Maund - 44k / 59k

I can't remember which number applies to the cap but either way we have the first two making a fair bit more while Maund is cheap, he's no where near MLS ready.
Based on actual results and not lauding technical ability that led to little then Dunfield was better than all of them. Avila has a bigger upside but he's yet to show much of anything yet.

Yohan
03-22-2013, 11:44 AM
Based on actual results and not lauding technical ability that led to little then Dunfield was better than all of them. Avila has a bigger upside but he's yet to show much of anything yet.
Avila has 2 assists with Chivas USA in 3 games

Ultra & Proud
03-22-2013, 12:11 PM
Avila has 2 assists with Chivas USA in 3 games

I said Dinfield was better. Avila could turn out way better or he could go party, be lazy, and have an attitude like they said he did both here and in Dallas. Who knows? Plus, considering their respective roles within the midfield, Avila should have more opportunities to score/get assists.

FreekAce
03-22-2013, 12:18 PM
glad to see Terry getting some deserved credit. good thread OP.

MartinUtd
03-22-2013, 12:20 PM
Yeah it's not fair to compare an attacking mid to a defensive mid but for the sake of last year's salaries, I had little else to work with. Avila was depth though as it seemed Silva was favoured. So he was still a depth midfielder, just of a different role.

notthesun
03-22-2013, 12:36 PM
I'm never going to stop criticizing him if he keeps starting because over 90 minutes there is so much to criticize him for. He's not good enough to be an MLS starter, it's that simple.

Throw him on with 15 minutes left when we don't need a goal or even possession? Sure. But no more than that.

Yohan
03-22-2013, 12:41 PM
I'm never going to stop criticizing him if he keeps starting because over 90 minutes there is so much to criticize him for. He's not good enough to be an MLS starter, it's that simple.

Throw him on with 15 minutes left when we don't need a goal or even possession? Sure. But no more than that.
right now, it's between Dunfield or Hall in one of starting DM roles. pick your poison

Abou Sky
03-22-2013, 12:41 PM
Am I the only one who thinks he looks better this year than last?

You could say that it is because he has quality around him but A. Morgan has looked worse IMO and he defo has quality around him.

notthesun
03-22-2013, 12:44 PM
right now, it's between Dunfield or Hall in one of starting DM roles. pick your poison

Hall it is (but I'd try Bekker in the role for a game or two to see how he does).

Yohan
03-22-2013, 12:44 PM

You could say that it is because he has quality around him but A. Morgan has looked worse IMO and he defo has quality around him.
he's been decent ever since Mariner took over actually.

Yohan
03-22-2013, 12:47 PM
Hall it is (but I'd try Bekker in the role for a game or two to see how he does).
you wouldn't try Bekker at DM if you saw his play for Canada today

and seriously? Hall, the clueless running around if he's not getting beaten 1v1?

OgtheDim
03-22-2013, 12:48 PM

Spa treatments

Amazing what a good mani-pedi will do for a man.

Or so I'm told.......

Ultra & Proud
03-22-2013, 12:49 PM

In my opinion he's the only player on our squad who has consistently improved over 3 seasons (although judging this one after 3 matches is crazy). Not saying that makes him all star quality or anything as he came from pretty far down but it'd be hard to deny that Dunfield 2013 is far better than Dunfield 2011 and by a very wide margin.

MKR
03-22-2013, 12:53 PM
i said it before and i got blasted for it, but i'll say it again. Terry Dunfield is in the same ballpark as Carl Robinson was when he played here.

notthesun
03-22-2013, 12:53 PM
you wouldn't try Bekker at DM if you saw his play for Canada today

and seriously? Hall, the clueless running around if he's not getting beaten 1v1?

He played well in a deeper role in previous games for Canada. Off games happen. Not saying he belongs there but I think it's worth investigation (especially considering the surplus of attacking midfielders we have compared to deeper ones).

And yeah, Hall. The way I see it either of them will hurt us over 90 minutes, but at least Hall is mobile. The difference in their abilities is negligible.

Ultra & Proud
03-22-2013, 12:56 PM
And yeah, Hall. The way I see it either of them will hurt us over 90 minutes, but at least Hall is mobile. The difference in their abilities is negligible.
Except that Hall can't read the game for shit. That is the only thing that kept Dunfield on the pitch in the past.

Yohan
03-22-2013, 01:00 PM
He played well in a deeper role in previous games for Canada. Off games happen. Not saying he belongs there but I think it's worth investigation (especially considering the surplus of attacking midfielders we have compared to deeper ones).

I don't think Bekker's had a good game in last 4 games for TFC and Canada. He just lacks the balls to play DM or even box to box role right now. I'm hoping that'll change as he gets used to the professional environment.

Dunfield right now is playing helluva lot better than Hall, although Dunfield is given more of a box to box role, and Hall is supposedly the DM destroyer. well, I suspect we will have this convo again after few more games.

notthesun
03-22-2013, 01:04 PM
Except that Hall can't read the game for shit. That is the only thing that kept Dunfield on the pitch in the past.

And Dunfield can? Have we already forgotten Dunfield letting Arnaud run in free behind him last week, leading to Montreal's winning goal?

Seriously guys. They're such similar players I don't think deciding between them is even worth a discussion. Both, playing 90 minutes, hurt our chances of success. Gun to my head, I'd simply choose Hall because he's a bit quicker. Last 15 minute substitution, I'd probably go Dunfield because he's a bit better in the tackle. That's about where the differences end. Neither of them can pass, shoot, or mark properly.

Ultra & Proud
03-22-2013, 01:05 PM
I don't think Bekker's had a good game in last 4 games for TFC and Canada. He just lacks the balls to play DM or even box to box role right now. I'm hoping that'll change as he gets used to the professional environment.

Dunfield right now is playing helluva lot better than Hall, although Dunfield is given more of a box to box role, and Hall is supposedly the DM destroyer. well, I suspect we will have this convo again after few more games.
I think if Cesar gets in there instead of Hall then Terry will be better than he is now.

Yohan
03-22-2013, 01:09 PM
And Dunfield can? Have we already forgotten Dunfield letting Arnaud run in free behind him last week, leading to Montreal's winning goal?

the entire team failed on that goal pretty much, not just Dunfield

Canary10
03-22-2013, 01:10 PM
I think if Cesar gets in there instead of Hall then Terry will be better than he is now.

I'm beginning to think Cesar is a figment of our collective imaginations (possibly implanted by Earl Cochrane to save his job).

Ultra & Proud
03-22-2013, 01:11 PM
the entire team failed on that goal pretty much, not just Dunfield\

But as usual he is the guy everyone singles out. And on the play mentioned where was Morgan? If we are getting into players out of position who aren't playing well and can't mark, pass, or shoot then his name should come up too.

Gazza
03-22-2013, 01:12 PM
I think if we had someone creative in the middle of the park, Dunfield would thrive. He's a game killer. Unfortunately, with him and Hall in the middle, he ends up killing the game for us as well. Something i've noticed recently is that he's usually too gassed in the second half to stay with his man. Which makes him an even bigger liability.

I agree with those who said he'd be great to kill off a lead with 15 or so minutes left. He's cheap, seems like a great guy, but just doesn't have the class to be a starter in this league, let alone the National Team.

notthesun
03-22-2013, 01:13 PM
the entire team failed on that goal pretty much, not just Dunfield

No argument here, but the original mistake that led to the goal was Dunfield leaving Arnaud free to turn on the pass. If he was marking properly Arnaud wouldn't have been able to run at our defense unopposed like that.

Ultra & Proud
03-22-2013, 01:15 PM
I'm beginning to think Cesar is a figment of our collective imaginations (possibly implanted by Earl Cochrane to save his job).
I saw him a few times on TV training. Better see him next weekend.

And I can't agree that Dunfield = Hall. No way. The only things Hall has over Terry would be pace (negligible) and endurance. Terry does get gassed after about 60 minutes. Terry has better positioning, gets into dangerous places going forward (only legit threat against Vancouver was him), and is a better tackler. Positioning and tackling are the main requirements for DM and he is better than Hall in regards to them.

Gazza
03-22-2013, 01:18 PM
I saw him a few times on TV training. Better see him next weekend.

And I can't agree that Dunfield = Hall. No way. The only things Hall has over Terry would be pace (negligible) and endurance. Terry does get gassed after about 60 minutes. Terry has better positioning, gets into dangerous places going forward (only legit threat against Vancouver was him), and is a better tackler. Positioning and tackling are the main requirements for DM and he is better than Hall in regards to them.

At least i'll admit that Terry is a player. I have no idea what Hall is or what he does! I tried isolating my focus on him for a half, but he just forced me to drink faster and more regularly.

Ultra & Proud
03-22-2013, 01:20 PM
No argument here, but the original mistake that led to the goal was Dunfield leaving Arnaud free to turn on the pass. If he was marking properly Arnaud wouldn't have been able to run at our defense unopposed like that.

Only thing is that if Terry is more in the box to box role and Hall is the holding 'destroyer' then where was Hall? He was out of position by drifting too far forward for most of the match. Hall didn't 'hold' and support the back line and he doesn't do it often enough. If Cesar is in there then we should be a little more settled and keep our shape better.

Ultra & Proud
03-22-2013, 01:21 PM
I tried isolating my focus on him for a half, but he just forced me to drink faster and more regularly.
On a purely medical stand point I would not recommend this.

Canary10
03-22-2013, 01:23 PM
Only thing is that if Terry is more in the box to box role and Hall is the holding 'destroyer' then where was Hall? He was out of position by drifting too far forward for most of the match. Hall didn't 'hold' and support the back line and he doesn't do it often enough. If Cesar is in there then we should be a little more settled and keep our shape better.

We need some better distribution from the middle too. I think Cesar will help a lot if he does indeed exist.

Gazza
03-22-2013, 01:24 PM
On a purely medical stand point I would not recommend this.

Geez, you sound like my hepatologist.

notthesun
03-22-2013, 01:28 PM

I agree, I made a post in the match thread about how they both screwed it up. Hall pushed forward onto the ball for no reason leaving his man open behind him, and Dunfield was totally unaware of Arnaud behind him. Camara (I think) could've passed it to either and they both could've ran at our defense, he just happened to choose Arnaud.

That play is exactly what I'm talking about though. They both can't mark properly, and having them both together at once in midfield really kills our chance at winning. I've explained why I'd choose Hall over Dunfield if I had to start one of them but I don't pretend like it would make that much of a difference in the end. I can't wait to see Cesar in our midfield, I've been saying we need him in there since the opener.

Hopefully by the summer we sign Mejia or some other Honduran midfielder and we won't need to have this conversation anymore.

Ultra & Proud
03-22-2013, 01:28 PM
Geez, you sound like my hepatologist.

I meant watching watching Hall, not the drinking. I support the drinking.

Yohan
03-22-2013, 01:32 PM
it started from TFC pressuring up high, but did not track back fast enough. when the ball was played from Brovsky to Bernier, Dunfield was caught up high because Ephraim and Earnshaw was still too high. and assuming Ephraim was responsible for marking Bernier, as AM marking the DM. Or Earnshaw who was closer to Bernier, though the play is behind him. Dunfield got left with two choice, having to mark 2 people now. does he pressure Bernier, therefore leaving centre of the pitch open (because Hall was marking Pisanu at this point on left side of the field, and then decided to leave Pisanu and pressure Bernier) or try to get back, leaving Bernier open to make a pass. for Dunfield, things ended up happening too fast, and he could neither, and Arnaud made that run and excellent pass to di Vaio for the goal.

if you want me to, I will screen cap the entire sequence. lol

Ultra & Proud
03-22-2013, 01:33 PM
I agree, I made a post in the match thread about how they both screwed it up. Hall pushed forward onto the ball for no reason leaving his man open behind him, and Dunfield was totally unaware of Arnaud behind him. Camara (I think) could've passed it to either and they both could've ran at our defense, he just happened to choose Arnaud.

That play is exactly what I'm talking about though. They both can't mark properly, and having them both together at once in midfield really kills our chance at winning. I've explained why I'd choose Hall over Dunfield if I had to start one of them but I don't pretend like it would make that much of a difference in the end. I can't wait to see Cesar in our midfield, I've been saying we need him in there since the opener.
Beyond Hall drifting and causing us to lose our shape it came down to communication. Hall should have stayed back and he didn't. From the looks of how it unfolded Terry thought he had cover behind him as he was pushed up. Hall should know both holding mids shouldn't push up and he should have called when that play started to unfold. Chances are he didn't recognize the threat as his vision and reading of the game is poor. I would prefer Terry back there holding firm like Frings did when he was here and letting Cesar move around a bit if he is up to it physically. Would help our back line and allow some better distribution through Cesar. Possibly a wonder goal some time like that one he put in against us last year.

maninb
03-22-2013, 01:34 PM
i said it before and i got blasted for it, but i'll say it again. Terry Dunfield is in the same ballpark as Carl Robinson was when he played here.

Robinson was FAR FAT FITTER and could actually pass the ball..but I agree Dunfield is a decent late game defensive replacement...

TOBOR !
03-22-2013, 01:41 PM
i said it before and i got blasted for it, but i'll say it again. Terry Dunfield plays in the same ballpark as Carl Robinson was when he played here.

fixed your post

notthesun
03-22-2013, 01:49 PM
it started from TFC pressuring up high, but did not track back fast enough. when the ball was played from Brovsky to Bernier, Dunfield was caught up high because Ephraim and Earnshaw was still too high. and assuming Ephraim was responsible for marking Bernier, as AM marking the DM. Or Earnshaw who was closer to Bernier, though the play is behind him. Dunfield got left with two choice, having to mark 2 people now. does he pressure Bernier, therefore leaving centre of the pitch open (because Hall was marking Pisanu at this point on left side of the field, and then decided to leave Pisanu and pressure Bernier) or try to get back, leaving Bernier open to make a pass. for Dunfield, things ended up happening too fast, and he could neither, and Arnaud made that run and excellent pass to di Vaio for the goal.

if you want me to, I will screen cap the entire sequence. lol

I've got the highlights from every TFC game since 2011 on my HDD so I'm good haha.

You're right about the high pressure leaving TFC a bit short in numbers. But then a good defender would recognize this and realize the right thing to do is limit Bernier's passing options to buy some time for at least Ephraim to come back. Better to allow Bernier time and space in his own half than to allow a midfield-splitting ball go through. Once Hall commits to pressure Bernier, Dunfield is too slow to realize the danger happening behind him. He takes a look back but doesn't correct his positioning enough. He should be goal side or at least in front of Arnaud to block the lane. Then Lambe should drop to mark Pisanu after Hall pushed up (which Lambe was doing, albeit far too slowly) because leaving the RB open didn't present an immediate threat in that situation (with Hall's pressure Bernier would have to make a short pass to the RB, Lambe could pressure the RB, Hall would drop back on Pisanu and by that time Ephraim should be back to mark Bernier if the RB plays it back to him).

Alonso
03-22-2013, 04:27 PM
Yeah it's not fair to compare an attacking mid to a defensive mid but for the sake of last year's salaries, I had little else to work with. Avila was depth though as it seemed Silva was favoured. So he was still a depth midfielder, just of a different role.

And to say that a defensive mid like Dunfield scored 6 goals for us last year in all competitions is something that needs to be pointed out over and over.

How many did Frings or Deguzman score for us?

The man makes $86,000, and it's easily the best spent money on this team in my opinion.

Wull
03-22-2013, 04:55 PM
Stevie Wonder could see where Arnaud wanted the ball played for their second but Terry couldn't. I'm not going to shit on the guy but he's not a starter in this league. Every squad needs 2-3 players like him but they aren't there to start every game. He's definitely not in Robbo's class when it comes to the defensive side of the game but he does offer more going forward. Seems to be good to have around the club too, never any rumors about his behaviour or personal life

bigredone
03-22-2013, 06:33 PM
Out of all the problems he is probably low on managements mind and we will lavish Terry with threads through 2015.

Terry "ol' reliable" Dunfield can only gain from experience and age because his endurance likely wont be affected.

jloome
03-22-2013, 07:31 PM

Neither should be starting, but Hall didn't cost us a goal the other day; Dunfield did. They both ball watch. Dunfield has been better in a holding role where he's already lying deep but he still marks and reads the game inadequately. He's actually more valuable to us around the box, even though coaches have never really played him that way.

jloome
03-22-2013, 07:33 PM
Beyond Hall drifting and causing us to lose our shape it came down to communication. Hall should have stayed back and he didn't. From the looks of how it unfolded Terry thought he had cover behind him as he was pushed up. Hall should know both holding mids shouldn't push up and he should have called when that play started to unfold. Chances are he didn't recognize the threat as his vision and reading of the game is poor. I would prefer Terry back there holding firm like Frings did when he was here and letting Cesar move around a bit if he is up to it physically. Would help our back line and allow some better distribution through Cesar. Possibly a wonder goal some time like that one he put in against us last year.

It doesn't work that way. They each play a zone and mark the guy who drifts through that zone. Hall's man was pinched up higher, that's all. But he was still in front of hall. Arnaud simply drifted behind Dunfield. It wasn't man marking, so Hall didn't lose anyone on that play.

EDIT: I should note in the general spirit of the thread that I think he's good value at what he's paid. He cost us a goal, but he also won us a goal.

ag futbol
03-22-2013, 08:12 PM
See the problem people associate with Dunfield is that in many ways he embodies what’s wrong with Canadian Soccer today. He’s all effort and not very much in the skill department. To make matters worse he was undeservedly praised by a prior coach who threw other players under the bus, which only served to raise everyone’s ire. Objectively, anyone who wasn’t captain short pants could see Dunfield limited ability and the way he was deployed were a major issue and probably more deserving of a public call out than the players who got one (not that anybody should have been, as it was entirely unprofessional).

None of this is Terry’s fault, he’s just doing what’s asked of him to the best of his ability. But as has been stated 1000x already, his ability is backup level, not starter. A lot of stuff is taken too literally and being taken as “I hate dunfield” when really it’s “I hate that dunfield is starting”. Who could possibly disagree with that second one? It’s a huge issue with the team.

burlington Red
03-23-2013, 09:15 AM
See the problem people associate with Dunfield is that in many ways he embodies what’s wrong with Canadian Soccer today. He’s all effort and not very much in the skill department. To make matters worse he was undeservedly praised by a prior coach who threw other players under the bus, which only served to raise everyone’s ire. Objectively, anyone who wasn’t captain short pants could see Dunfield limited ability and the way he was deployed were a major issue and probably more deserving of a public call out than the players who got one (not that anybody should have been, as it was entirely unprofessional).

None of this is Terry’s fault, he’s just doing what’s asked of him to the best of his ability. But as has been stated 1000x already, his ability is backup level, not starter. A lot of stuff is taken too literally and being taken as “I hate dunfield” when really it’s “I hate that dunfield is starting”. Who could possibly disagree with that second one? It’s a huge issue with the team.

Possibly the best post I've seen re Terry D.

__wowza
03-23-2013, 10:10 AM
i rate this thread 4 and a half dunfields out of five.

http://i.imm.io/10o6K.pnghttp://i.imm.io/10o6K.pnghttp://i.imm.io/10o6K.pnghttp://i.imm.io/10o6K.pnghttp://i.imm.io/10o75.png

Walms
03-23-2013, 10:15 AM
Terry Dunfield = the most polarizing figure on TFC since DeRo. He deserved his own thread.

I feel he also deserves the Arm Band.... nothing against O'dea but Terry (The Legend) Dunfield playes the hardest for this team and is the perfict example of never giving up

He is a God!

Yohan
03-23-2013, 10:38 AM
i rate this thread 4 and a half dunfields out of five.

http://i.imm.io/10o6K.pnghttp://i.imm.io/10o6K.pnghttp://i.imm.io/10o6K.pnghttp://i.imm.io/10o6K.pnghttp://i.imm.io/10o75.png

it just isn't the same without Ibrahim heads

Simple
03-23-2013, 10:50 AM
I understood why Dero was polarizing. He was both great and terrible. But I don't understand why Terry get so much attention either way. It seems to me to be a result of boredom and a lack of substance to talk about within the team. My hope is that this season gives us some highs and hopefully a playoff chase so that we can talk about something of consequence and not the nice but middling players on the team.

__wowza
03-23-2013, 11:21 AM
it just isn't the same without Ibrahim heads

don't you worry, those bad boys will make a comeback soon enough. plus they're for trades, not thread ratings!

OgtheDim
03-23-2013, 01:44 PM
The fact Dunfield didn't even get mentioned by management for the armband probably says more about his future starting status then anything else.

(Every time I see somebody use the word Terry in here, I wonder why we are discussing Chelsea's manager)

jiforio
03-24-2013, 06:10 AM
It seems many have forgot that Terry was a huge factor in bringing some life into Olympic stadium during our last game with the Impact. He read the play, got behind the defence, and drew the penalty that Earnshaw put away. Even though Earnshaw put the ball in the back of the net, I still credit Terry for the goal with a magnificent run. It's still early, but I feel Terry has been solid so far this year. I hope he stays injury free.

Huyton
03-25-2013, 11:13 AM
I look forward to the day when every single player for Toronto FC is so good, that none of the current team would even be on the bench.

Until then, I will do my best to support every player who takes the field for us.

HuTor
03-25-2013, 12:25 PM
I understood why Dero was polarizing. He was both great and terrible. But I don't understand why Terry get so much attention either way. It seems to me to be a result of boredom and a lack of substance to talk about within the team. My hope is that this season gives us some highs and hopefully a playoff chase so that we can talk about something of consequence and not the nice but middling players on the team.

This.

HuTor
03-25-2013, 12:29 PM
I look forward to the day when every single player for Toronto FC is so good, that none of the current team would even be on the bench.

That would be very nice, but not a fuckin' chance to happen until the average salary per player in MLS is at least $500,000 per year.
How much is now?

Richard
03-25-2013, 01:08 PM
That would be very nice, but not a fuckin' chance to happen until the average salary per player in MLS is at least $500,000 per year.
How much is now?

325-350k I think.

Edit: Nevermind, you said avg not max.

The salary list from the union should be released soon, interesting to see what the avg is this year.

Chevy
03-25-2013, 02:11 PM
^^ I think you're probably looking at around $175k for the average MLS player, and this would include the youngsters, scrubs and the DP's. Throw out the DP's and the average would probably drop to around $125k

TFC07
03-25-2013, 02:14 PM
So much hate for a depth player on this board is funny and sad at the same time. We got bums like Hall, Braun and Weiderman who make more money than Dunfield but their game is worst than Dunfield, but yet don't get any hate on this board. Go figure.

Abou Sky
03-25-2013, 02:47 PM
So much hate for a depth player on this board is funny and sad at the same time. We got bums like Hall, Braun and Weiderman who make more money than Dunfield but their game is worst than Dunfield, but yet don't get any hate on this board. Go figure.

There is universal agreement that those guys suck, so there is no argument to be had.

Some people like Dunfield, others hate him so there is debate.

notthesun
03-25-2013, 03:59 PM

That's the thing: he's not a depth player. Not right now. He should be a depth player, but he's been a starter on this team for a while now.

Braun and Wiedeman never start. Hence, they don't get much criticism; hard to criticize a guy's play when he's sitting on the bench, no?

Hall's been getting his fair share of criticism lately, because, go figure, he's starting.

I feel like a broken record.

TFC07
03-25-2013, 04:34 PM
That's the thing: he's not a depth player. Not right now. He should be a depth player, but he's been a starter on this team for a while now.

Braun and Wiedeman never start. Hence, they don't get much criticism; hard to criticize a guy's play when he's sitting on the bench, no?

Hall's been getting his fair share of criticism lately, because, go figure, he's starting.

I feel like a broken record.

So blame Nelsen not Dunfield for that. Nelsen is one choosing starting lineup not Dunfield.

notthesun
03-25-2013, 04:47 PM
So blame Nelsen not Dunfield for that. Nelsen is one choosing starting lineup not Dunfield.

But this is a completely different argument. You've changed the discussion from Dunfield's playing ability to Nelsen's management of the roster (and really, if you want to go there, our use of Dunfield speaks more to our lack of options in central midfield than to Nelsen's, or even Mariner's, managerial decisions).

I don't blame Dunfield for starting all the time. That doesn't make him immune from criticism though.

Auzzy
03-25-2013, 05:10 PM

Did you even bother to read this thread before commenting? My post is approx. the 75th in this thread. I just looked through them all. Not a single bit of hate evident in any of those posts. Where is this "so much hate" that you're talking about?

A fair number of people are saying: Dunfield's on a decent salary, he's useful in certain roles, he's good value, but he shouldn't be starting game after game.

Some debate about comparing Dunfield & Robbo; Dunfield & J. Hall.

Some debate RE how much of the Montreal goal was Dunfield's fault vs. other players' fault.

Many people hoping that Cesar will be better than Dunfield.

Some people saying, the way Dunfield was elevated by previous management, rarely criticized, made captain, while others were thrown under the bus, set up Dunfield for more criticism than others.

Sure, in game threads or elsewhere, some people might freak: why is Dunfield playing so much, why did he make this or that mistake, and sometimes people go overboard with the negativity. The "scapegoat of the hour" designation gets passed around, that's pretty normal for fans. But there's really no "hate" in this thread for you to refer to.

Auzzy
03-25-2013, 05:24 PM
Personally, I think it all depends on context. I think guys like Dunfield do get significant playing time on some other MLS teams. It depends what role they're given, how much they play, and how good the others around them are. In Montreal, we had Morgan, Dunfield, Hall, and Lambe all starting and playing the majority of the game. One or two of those guys, the way they are playing these days, is not necessarily a problem. All four of them together, in some pretty key roles, that is a problem. Plus you have Ecks, who is pretty good, but not great at long passes or crossing the ball. It made it pretty easy for Montreal to shut down Bostock and Earnshaw, plus a bit of attention given to Hogan Ephraim, w/o worrying much about the others.

Hall's & Dunfield's roles are crucial & difficult: on the one hand for defending; but especially when switching to attack -- in particular if you're trying to maintain possession and avoid the long ball. Tough positions to play! You want at least one to be an exeptional player, a real general, excellent passing both short & long, and great vision. We still need an upgrade.

The club knows this, that's why the trialed many guys, signed a few, and they're still hoping for a few Central-American reinforcements, short or long term.

TFC07
03-25-2013, 06:08 PM
Did you even bother to read this thread before commenting? My post is approx. the 75th in this thread. I just looked through them all. Not a single bit of hate evident in any of those posts. Where is this "so much hate" that you're talking about?

A fair number of people are saying: Dunfield's on a decent salary, he's useful in certain roles, he's good value, but he shouldn't be starting game after game.

Some debate about comparing Dunfield & Robbo; Dunfield & J. Hall.

Some debate RE how much of the Montreal goal was Dunfield's fault vs. other players' fault.

Many people hoping that Cesar will be better than Dunfield.

Some people saying, the way Dunfield was elevated by previous management, rarely criticized, made captain, while others were thrown under the bus, set up Dunfield for more criticism than others.

Sure, in game threads or elsewhere, some people might freak: why is Dunfield playing so much, why did he make this or that mistake, and sometimes people go overboard with the negativity. The "scapegoat of the hour" designation gets passed around, that's pretty normal for fans. But there's really no "hate" in this thread for you to refer to.I said this board not this thread. Read my post again.

TFC07
03-25-2013, 06:17 PM
But this is a completely different argument. You've changed the discussion from Dunfield's playing ability to Nelsen's management of the roster (and really, if you want to go there, our use of Dunfield speaks more to our lack of options in central midfield than to Nelsen's, or even Mariner's, managerial decisions).

I don't blame Dunfield for starting all the time. That doesn't make him immune from criticism though.
You're right, but how about other players? How come no one is talking about them? Right now, I would say Morgan and Hall probably have played worst than Dunfield, but yet there's no thread about them. Reason why this thread was created due to people hijacking other threads with their Dunfield talk. Question is: why are people so emotion with their posts when comes to Dunfield? It has to do more than just his ability as a soccer player.

notthesun
03-25-2013, 06:46 PM
You're right, but how about other players? How come no one is talking about them? Right now, I would say Morgan and Hall probably have played worst than Dunfield, but yet there's no thread about them. Reason why this thread was created due to people hijacking other threads with their Dunfield talk. Question is: why are people so emotion with their posts when comes to Dunfield? It has to do more than just his ability as a soccer player.

There's been plenty of criticism of both Hall and Morgan. Not everything needs its own thread, and I wouldn't take the fact that Dunfield has his own thread as anything more than someone felt like making one. The player movement thread got derailed; it's an internet forum, it happens.

Terry's been around longer than other guys and he's always been a liability, so if he seems to get more criticism than others it's just because there's a sort of morbid deja-vu when he screws up. Also, as someone pointed out quite well earlier, Dunfield is the poster boy for what's wrong with Canadian soccer players.

Auzzy
03-25-2013, 10:14 PM
I said this board not this thread. Read my post again.

True dat. And this thread is a very important part of this board specifically when we're talking about Terry Dunfield. You would think the haters would turn out here in droves?! Maybe because, outside of the heat of a game or some trumped up debate, if people think about it more carefully, there really isn't much hate towards Dunfield.

I did hear some other hate here though: "bums like Hall, Braun and Weiderman." Everything I've heard, those three guys are also very friendly, hard-working and upstanding team players. Doesn't make them superstars either. There's been lots of criticism of Hall, with almost nobody taking the other side, so we don't hear as much about him on the board because there's really not much to debate. (Plus he does a pretty good job of staying invisible in games.) Wiedeman (similar to Dunfield) was also put on too much of a pedestal by Mariner, so he's also received some (largely undeserved) flack from fans as a result. Braun hasn't played a league game yet, partially due to injury, so how can you call him a bum or say his game is worse? Maybe the change to Toronto will do him good, and Braun will live up to the potential people saw in him a couple of years ago. Maybe not, whatever. Anyway how do you expect people to get upset about players who aren't even playing?

Basically you're doing what you're complaining about, that a few others do to Dunfield: overwrought criticism, out of proportion to the expectations or capabilities of a depth player on our team.

Ajax TFC
03-26-2013, 10:26 AM
You're right, but how about other players? How come no one is talking about them?
Because this is the Terry Dunfield thread, not the "under-performing players thread"

Right now, I would say Morgan and Hall probably have played worst than Dunfield, but yet there's no thread about them. Reason why this thread was created due to people hijacking other threads with their Dunfield talk. Question is: why are people so emotion with their posts when comes to Dunfield? It has to do more than just his ability as a soccer player.There's no thread about Morgan and Hall because there isn't an argument to be had there. Everyone accepts that Morgan and Hall have been bad, but in the case of Dunfield people feel the need to back him up no matter how bad he plays, which then creates two sides with opposing views and therefore there is an argument to be had. This thread was created because that argument was taking over every thread on the board. If enough people start defending Hall and Morgan's crap play, it is possible that a thread will be started to argue about them. But as of right now there is no need for one because almost everyone agrees that they've been bad.

So don't try to twist the existence of this thread as proof that more people have it in for Dunfield than Morgan or Hall.

PopePouri
03-26-2013, 10:39 AM
Has Hall been that bad? Maybe his last year's performance at RB automatically assumes he's just crap in all positions and systems. He's been better than Dunfield in terms of breaking up plays and distribution.

jloome
03-26-2013, 10:54 AM
Has Hall been that bad? Maybe his last year's performance at RB automatically assumes he's just crap in all positions and systems. He's been better than Dunfield in terms of breaking up plays and distribution.

He's been pretty decent. I think most of the hate-on for Hall is based on last year. Same with Dunfield, although we've already seen that neither has the distribution skills or reading of the play needed to influence things, and Terry ball watches badly sometimes. If I had to pick one, it would be Hall, because at least he can dribble out of trouble occasionally. But I can't say either is a starter.

Ajax TFC
03-26-2013, 11:25 AM
Hall is too tactically clueless to play CM. I don't mind him as the backup RM though. I also don't think we can be sure that Hall and Wiedeman are on the same sized contracts that they were before since their contracts were renegotiated.

Brooker
03-26-2013, 03:03 PM
People are arguing about Dunfield?

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Robert-DeNiro-Laughing-Awards-Ceremony.gif

boozilla
04-04-2013, 12:44 AM
Dunfield has played his heart out and still became a lightning rod for our dissatisfaction with the on-field product.
Sure he's a utility player with limited skill in a mediocre league, but there's lots of those in MLS.
I admittedly used to jeer him, but the joke isn't that funny anymore.
Hate the game, not the player.

Lennon
04-06-2013, 01:54 PM
Quoted from a sports betting mailing list I subscribe to:

I was originally very keen on Toronto FC off level ball at home to FC Dallas tonight in MLS action and still feel they have the firepower to see off the visitors, but things have been made so much harder with the news that Terry Dunfield picked up an injury in training and will miss out. The hosts have conceded two goals in five of the last six matches he has missed and do not have huge options (any?) in the defensive midfield role. This news has not been widely reported btw, but I am assured it is correct. Offensively they look fine, Robert Earnshaw, who was prolific in the Championship, has four goals from four starts and the hugely gifted, but yet to fulfil his potential, John Bostock, is on loan from Tottenham and all round, the hosts look much stronger this season. They have scored two in each of their home starts, against Sporting KC and LA Galaxy, both of whom I rate superior to Dallas, but they also conceded three in those, one after Dunfield was substituted, his loss is a major concern and enough to make me pass. If you pushed me for a pick, something like a 3-2, 2-2 correct score would be my choice. The other MLS matches make limited appeal tonight.

g:D

jloome
04-06-2013, 02:27 PM
Quoted from a sports betting mailing list I subscribe to:

g:D

I take it he doesn't actually watch TFC much.

notthesun
04-08-2013, 01:24 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krx-5rOjLec

Saw this clip in a match preview earlier, they just uploaded it now. Dunfield looking stylish in the flat cap. :p

Abou Sky
04-08-2013, 01:51 PM
Just got my Dunfield jersey at the game on Saturday, still love the guy and will wear it with pride!

Heart of Stone
04-14-2013, 12:25 PM

Let's not forget JDG... but you're right DeRo did cause a fair bit of division on these boards...

Abou Sky
04-14-2013, 01:04 PM
Anyone miss him yet? (besides me)

synkronized1
04-22-2013, 04:04 PM
I miss Terry but I'm a huge Dunfield supporter. Wonder how his rehab is coming along...