PDA

View Full Version : Yet another insult to TFC Players and Fans

invictusTFC
07-17-2008, 03:14 PM
All-Star Replacements Named by Nicol

Jonathan Bornstein, Steve Ralston and Juan Toja will be playing in the MLS All-Star Game against West Ham on July 24.

Chivas USA defender Jonathan Bornstein, New England Revolution midfielder Steve Ralston and FC Dallas midfielder Juan Toja were added to the MLS All-Star Team that will face West Ham United on July 24. Steve Nicol made the selections to replace Sacha Kljestan, Michael Parkhurst and Robbie Rogers, all of whom were named to the U.S. Olympic Team roster on Thursday and will be with the team in California when the MLS All-Stars are in Toronto.

Are you f'n kidding me. Toja over Guevara, Bornstein over Velez! Ridiculous.

Huginho
07-17-2008, 03:16 PM
GBS deserved to be there more then Toja or Guevara IMO.

McBrace
07-17-2008, 03:18 PM
On the Bright side we don't need our boys playing anymore than they need to right now. No need to chance an injury. We all know who should be there!

jloome
07-17-2008, 03:20 PM
Schellotto is carrying Columbus, it's retarded that he's not there. I imagine Nicol, being an old scouser, bristles at the idea of a fish flopper like Guillermo being on his watch, though.

And holy fuck, will everybody get over the Marco Velez love?! Holy overcompensation for a mediocre player who had a bad start. His work ethic has made him man of the match a few times, but he and Marshall both look shaky quite frequently, as evidenced in part by our lousy recent record.

From watching him play a few times now, I'd say Tebily is far and away our best central defender. James would be close in terms of pure athleticism, but he can't read the field quickly enough yet and gets burned out of position, which is why I think Carver's moving him to the flank more often.

Velez played well enough during preaseason at right back though that I'd take him for a game or two over Marvell Wynne. For all his ability to attack and "cross over" with Ricketts, we already have enough attacking mids and could use him playing defense more. Besides, every time he does that with Robert on that side, we're left with no fullback coverage. In fact, I half think the reason Carver moved Robert onto the right (he's a left footer and has always played on the left in the rest of his career) is to force Wynne to stay back and resist the temptation to prove how fast he is.

noochie
07-17-2008, 03:20 PM
I don't mind Bornstein so much... Velez may have axed himself at the end of the CHI game (along with many TFC defenders).

But yeah... they could have added Guevara. Not that I am too concerned because he has to lay a whooping on MTL 2 days earlier ;)

invictusTFC
07-17-2008, 03:22 PM
On the Bright side we don't need our boys playing anymore than they need to right now. No need to chance an injury. We all know who should be there!

You're right... I gotta think positive!!!

ensco
07-17-2008, 03:28 PM
He left Emilio off (10 goals, led league in scoring last year) and there's no one from DC on the team (last year's Supporter's Shield winner). Excluding Schelotto is nothing, compared to that.

As for leaving Guevara and Velez off, you need to go easy on the peyote there, I think :)

Billy the kid
07-17-2008, 03:35 PM
As I recall Schelotto was unable to stay on his feet last time he played at BMO field. Mabe he was left off for his own safety.

invictusTFC
07-17-2008, 03:42 PM
He left Emilio off (10 goals, led league in scoring last year) and there's no one from DC on the team (last year's Supporter's Shield winner). Excluding Schelotto is nothing, compared to that.

As for leaving Guevara and Velez off, you need to go easy on the peyote there, I think :)

I know that there is some obvious omissions, you'd think however that since the game is in Toronto, they would try to appease the fans a little more, especially if they want to put on a spectacle. I guess that stretch of games that Guevara missed due to international duty hurt his chances.

Dirk Diggler
07-17-2008, 03:43 PM
What happened to Toja anyways? He was all the rage last year. It seems that he has fallen off the map this year.

MadMike
07-17-2008, 03:47 PM
Yes I have had a few beers this afternoon, Yes it's hot as F#@K outside, Yes my name is MadMike, but does anyone think that MLS is doing someof this intentionaly to us , there has been quite a shake up this year with regards to how fans ack.......alot of teams are blaming TO for that......it this payback . To me it seems like a possiblity. All stars are wearing black !!!! this protect has been public for months now, does not take to long to pick the most basic jersey adidas makes and slap a pepsi logo on it, and this game is in TO .... Jimmy should be starting at least.

werewolf
07-17-2008, 04:30 PM
I was hoping to boo the Pete Rose haircut, especially since I probably will miss both games against Chivas.

KrazyKanadian
07-17-2008, 05:20 PM
It's the all-star game. It means nothing.

I just hope our over-worked Jimmy only gets a few minutes of playing time, if at all.