PDA

View Full Version : .::The Badge::.

JuliquE
03-14-2013, 06:16 PM
Okay.. sensitive area -- I get it.. but, hear me out.

I absolutely love our badge; I have a ton of image files of it, by itself, on my computer and think it always looks so perfect.

Now.. having said that, I feel like when the crest is worn/seen in natural light, as opposed to a digital image, the red always appears so faded and, in general, it just seems like there is too much white/light spaces in it (especially compared to others around the league).

I don't want them messing around with our crest any more than the next guy.. but, at the very least, in then next 13 years (read: 20th anniversary), if/when we might be looking at a slight alteration of the badge, filling out those white/light grey areas with something that stands out a bit more and generally making the colours more rich should be considered.

If it were up to me, I'd look to have something done about it yesterday. At first, I couldn't think of what colour we could use to fill some of the void with; I thought perhaps a yellowish-orange of sorts could replace everywhere it is currently light grey (a la the Red Patch Boys crest -- perhaps a bit darker or more orange; maybe a homage of sorts -- I don't know) and then have the light grey replace the white areas, with the exception of the background/bordering trim throughout the design (just the spaces directly neighbouring the "T"). Then I felt like that might be getting away from our colouring scheme too much; instead, perhaps a dramatically contrasting shade/hue of red to replace the light grey areas (like they are trying with the current jerseys, only a little more pronounced) and then, as said, the light grey to replace the white spaces next to the "T." From there, it's just a matter of making the existing red more rich looking and there you have it (not a whole light different, imo). I'm not at all married to my idea, just think something needs to be done about it.

Just finished watching this weekend's match preview video on the MLS site, where you can see a picture at the end of both Nesta and Bostock; not a huge fan of Montreal's badge design, but I don't think it's nearly the worst around, either (fancy ours better, auf jeden Fall).. but, I feel like they have done well to make it so their badge really stands out, true to any digital image you can find of it.. where as ours doesn't seem to do the digital images justice (looks more like a sticker).

Judge for yourself:

http://www.concacaf.com/javaImages/e3/55/0,,12813~11032035,00.jpg

http://www.torontofc.ca/sites/toronto/files/imagecache/620x350/image_nodes/2012/07/Koevermans5.jpg

FluSH
03-14-2013, 07:49 PM
Julique... I usually like your posts.

We are going into war in T - 39hrs!!

Someone please call Pope Francis...

TFC07
03-14-2013, 08:05 PM
To be honest, I am not big fan of that badge. I wish TFC change their badge to new badge that TFCA are wearing (badge with hawk).

flatpicker
03-14-2013, 08:37 PM
I also like the badge, but I also understand what you are saying.
I does get a bit lost on the shirt, especially next to that BMO logo.
Maybe it could be something as simple as reversing the colours.
Make more of it dark grey to ad more contrast to the red jersey.
I'm not in front of my computer, but I did this quick mock-up on my iPad.

Sorry... this picture is pretty big.
I'm a little limited without my normal computer.

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k139/brushstroke-man/photo6_zps3d7e6037.jpg

glaze
03-14-2013, 09:25 PM
I think an alternate badge, such as the academy one can go on an alternate jersey.

The only change I want to see to our badge is adding a star above it.

Brooker
03-14-2013, 09:32 PM
I would say there isn't a badge that is a whole lot better than ours in the league.

DC maybe?

Meh.

JuliquE
03-14-2013, 10:10 PM
I think you hit the nail on the head, here, Flatpicker; whilst maybe what you've quickly mocked up isn't perfected, I can immediately see that it would stand out better on the jersey. For one, the faded red of the badge, that forms the crest's border and so on, being directly against the red of the jersey just seems off.

I also like the badge, but I also understand what you are saying.
I does get a bit lost on the shirt, especially next to that BMO logo.
Maybe it could be something as simple as reversing the colours.
Make more of it dark grey to ad more contrast to the red jersey.
I'm not in front of my computer, but I did this quick mock-up on my iPad.

Sorry... this picture is pretty big.
I'm a little limited without my normal computer.

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k139/brushstroke-man/photo6_zps3d7e6037.jpg

prizby
03-14-2013, 10:19 PM
DO NOT CHANGE THE BADGE! We can't do that to those who have permanently tatooed it on their body!

flatpicker
03-14-2013, 10:35 PM
DO NOT CHANGE THE BADGE! We can't do that to those who have permanently tatooed it on their body!

haha... just get a second tattoo.
They would become a historical document!

ensco
03-14-2013, 10:38 PM
You really freak me out, sometimes. That is all.

;-)

JuliquE
03-14-2013, 10:43 PM
You really freak me out, sometimes. That is all.

;-)
hahahahha

boozilla
03-14-2013, 11:54 PM
... it just seems like there is too much white/light spaces in it (especially compared to others around the league).

Wow JuliquE, totally bang on.
There is too much white especially around the 'F C'.
It's a team name poorly pressed into a stock crest shape.
I do applaud anyone who got all the white space tattooed.
Also, the drop shadow under the TORONTO seemed dated 6 years ago.

TOBOR !
03-15-2013, 12:27 AM
They could drop the 'FC' for starters. It's superfluous. Also, do something about the hexagonal maple leaf at the top. Yes, it looks like soccer ball panels, very clever. Just make it a proper maple leaf, like the one we use.

JuliquE
03-15-2013, 06:00 AM
They could drop the 'FC' for starters. It's superfluous. Also, do something about the hexagonal maple leaf at the top. Yes, it looks like soccer ball panels, very clever. Just make it a proper maple leaf, like the one we use.
See, I don't mind the "FC" being there -- many clubs, both big and smaller, have it somewhere on their badge -- I just agree with Boozilla about it needing to stand out more, otherwise it's almost rendered pointless.

Also, I always like when things aren't too generic looking and, so, the football panels being used to form a maple-leaf, of sorts, is a subtlety I can certainly appreciate. I just don't want our badge/leaf to start looking like FC Edmonton's:

http://thisiscosmoscountry.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/FCEdmontonlogo.jpg

flatpicker
03-15-2013, 10:02 AM
^ That Edmonton badge needs more embossing!

Oldtimer
03-15-2013, 10:08 AM
The only change I want to see to our badge is adding a star above it.

Well said!

Cashcleaner
03-15-2013, 10:24 AM
Compared to most other MLS and NASL clubs, our badge is definitely one of the best. Sporting KC, Vancouver, Portland, and Philly's are the only ones that give ours a run for it's money. Montreal would have been included if not for the silly blue and grey gradients. Flat's tweaking certainly looks different, but it's not my cup o' tea.

I think TFC missed the boat by not incorporating a landmark or something similar that's unique to the city, but have yet to see anything produced that looks better than the one we have now. I guess the Academy one looks alright and our alternate circular crest is okay, but I wouldn't want either to replace our main crest.

Ultra & Proud
03-15-2013, 10:27 AM
Easiest thing to do to correct the issue without changing the badge or mess with those who have it tattooed on (like myself) is to modify the lines on the badge to be more like a old school tattoo. Thick black outline around everything and it'll pop.

Detroit_TFC
03-15-2013, 10:41 AM
I like our badge. But badges do change, almost every club at some point does it. Not sure we need to yet, much rather save that for a milestone point, like 10 yr anniversary or 25.

Detroit_TFC
03-15-2013, 10:44 AM
Easiest thing to do to correct the issue without changing the badge or mess with those who have it tattooed on (like myself) is to modify the lines on the badge to be more like a old school tattoo. Thick black outline around everything and it'll pop.

Yes, that or maybe just the shield portion, I think that would look very good indeed while maintaining the overall integrity of the design.

JuliquE
10-11-2014, 11:55 AM
Some good lulz, reading a few of the responses back.. but, yeh -- thought to bump this thread, lest I further steer the "New Crew logo" thread off-topic.

Also, as a bit of a lark, minimalist MLS badges (http://futbolartistnetwork.com/products/individual-mls-minimalist-logos)!

ULGH! If you look at our badge, there, you can really see what I mean, all the time, about the white/light spaces; I feel like the way he's done our badge is how it appears from a distance, especially on our kits. It's similar to when you look at the little TFC flavicon, at the top of any MLS club site, for instance.

The overall design is great, and I even like the way the white and light-grey parts are worked in.. I just don't think it is suitable for the majority of ways the badge is used; computer graphics, especially larger ones, where the design can be clearly made out, look lovely -- on kits and tinier variants of the badge, the white/light spaces are FAR too dominant, for me, cheapening it to almost appear like a sticker or something.

Obviously, we've bigger fish to fry, and I can well imagine that many might not even see it this way -- I mean, I could live with it, as it's still an overall great badge.. but, I DO still hold out hope that it gets improved upon, much like our subtle swapping for Crimson red, over the more tomato/blood-red colour.

Here's an example of what I mean, that I just whipped up (before & after):

http://www.carp.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/tfc-logo.jpg http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y126/JuliquE/f0b0ee2e-e23e-4f92-8b66-59086fe4dd51_zps9cc2f1c1.png

Here are a couple other alternatives to my preferred choice, above (right):

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y126/JuliquE/4e7adb4d-96ef-4b6a-ae38-cb61d5a35744_zps2318cb8d.png http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y126/JuliquE/086632cb-378d-435d-8d1a-16e968f0ce83_zps6bc8cb35.png

I really like this. The only change I would make is complete the whole scroll in grey.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y126/JuliquE/f0b0ee2e-e23e-4f92-8b66-59086fe4dd51_zps9cc2f1c1.png

Thanks.

I thought about that, but, for me, the grey is too light to be prominently along the outside edges of the badge, sans bordering (it wouldn't be too clear where it begins and ends, with the white trim around the badge). Also, I could well imagine a grey scarf, with red edges.. so, especially considering that one of the subtle touches to our badge is a nod to the Canadian flag, with the overall shape of it forming a maple leaf (football, up top, along with the ends of the scarf), I thought it wise to leave them red. Finally, were I to make the whole thing grey, I feel like there would be too little red in the badge, for my liking and considering we're known as "The Reds."

You'll also notice that I've made the "FC" a bit more visible; they otherwise look like specks, at a distance (or in a miniature version), with the red font over the white background. The way it is, now, actually has a similar balance of colour as before.. just that it's broken up a bit; you don't have such a fat portion of white and grey, together (difficult to explain it better).

Would LOVE it if someone more connected could push this subtle change suggestion. Might consider giving me cousin Adrian a ring.. though, I'm not altogether clear on how influential he is, at the club.

JuliquE
10-11-2014, 12:24 PM
I forgot all about this thread, but here's my latest mock-up, taking the original idea I had, in the OP (a nod to RPB):

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y126/JuliquE/7c6326c3-4f0f-4d87-b975-866735052e6e_zps499bae2c.png http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/55/RPB_Badge.png

JuliquE
10-11-2014, 03:26 PM
I was looking at the timeline of things, and I just realized that it was the season after this thread that they opted to update the red, from the generic red (as from the flag), to a more Crimson red.

Hard to be sure what went into the decision, of course, but here's hoping that things take on a similar trajectory.

Cashcleaner
10-11-2014, 04:08 PM
^ You mean the red we have now in the crest is different from the original colour? I believe it was Collegiate Red according to the Adidas Catalogue at the time. I never noticed that before you mentioned it just now.

Ricky_Portugal
10-11-2014, 04:14 PM
as for somone who has the crest tattooed on my for arm lets just leave the crest as it is i already have one tattoo i need to cover i dont need 2

JuliquE
10-11-2014, 04:18 PM
^ You mean the red we have now in the crest is different from the original colour? I believe it was Collegiate Red according to the Adidas Catalogue at the time. I never noticed that before you mentioned it just now.
I remember reading somewhere that they updated it, yeh. Will edit this space, if I find where I read it (anyone else can feel free to beat me to the punch).

as for somone who has the crest tattooed on my for arm lets just leave the crest as it is i already have one tattoo i need to cover i dont need 2
hhahaaha It's all a conspiracy.