PDA

View Full Version : What's going to happen to Chivas?

PopePouri
03-10-2013, 07:05 PM
Who know how much money the league is losing by keeping them in LA? Do they fold the team next season or move them somewhere like San Diego?

TFC07
03-10-2013, 07:22 PM
They need to relocate and rebrand their club ASAP! But I don't think their owner willing to do that though. Chivas and NE Revs need to step up or sell their clubs. MLS is growing and some of cities hoping to get a MLS club.

james
03-10-2013, 08:06 PM
Being called Chivas really cut out alot of fans. They are only reaching out for Mexican fans who support Guadalajara Chivas. They need to change the name. Also playing in the same stadium as another team in LA is not a good idea. I don't think LA is crazy for soccer to have 2 teams. LA is also a big city but not that densely populated instead built like a never ending suburb convering a large land area. If LA is to have 2 teams the other team needs to be in a different side of the city to attract fans from that neck of the woods.

If New England want to have any hope of attracting more fans they need to move into Boston in a soccer specific stadium. The Patriots stadium is way to big for a soccer team and does not help they often have NFL gridlines all over the field later in the season. The owner needs to care more about the team or sell them to a new owner or relocate.

Detroit_TFC
03-10-2013, 08:30 PM
The league will tolerate short term attendance weakness at CUSA. Chivas owner Jorge Vergara has talked about building a SSS and moving the team within metro LA. It may be an empty promise but Garber and the board will give him a chance to do it. If after some time nothing is done, maybe the board will discuss alternatives. No way they eliminate the team, most likely they will find a new ownership group, buy out Vergara, and rebrand the team.

ArmenJBX
03-10-2013, 08:44 PM
It needs a new name, it needs a new stadium, it needs to move out of Carson.

kodiakTFC
03-10-2013, 09:06 PM
I do believe this is the final year on their lease at the Home Depot Center (soon to be Stub Hub Center lol). I imagine they have a minor rebranding with their focus still on Mexican players while playing at the LA Coliseum. There have been rumors about them playing there for awhile. Until then, be prepared for an abysmal average attendance from them this year. Whats worse is apparently a lot of their tickets distributed have been freebies. By the way, I am in no way saying that this 'move' will help them, just what I believe will happen. Also, I'm not sure a move to San Diego is a great idea, Club Tijuana is close enough to San Diego that any soccer fans who need their fix are likely going to their games. I believe the best move for Chivas is to leave and never come back but we'll see what happens in the off season.

OgtheDim
03-10-2013, 09:40 PM
A failed experiment. There has been, according to some people, no publicity at all for the team. Some of there supporters groups have disbanded. They have no local English language TV coverage.

Although moving would be a good thing, most other venues would be more expensive to rent.

I think MLS will pull the plug on ownership after two more seasons. New owners will probably move the team to another part of the suburbs.

PopePouri
03-10-2013, 10:09 PM
I do believe this is the final year on their lease at the Home Depot Center (soon to be Stub Hub Center lol). I imagine they have a minor rebranding with their focus still on Mexican players while playing at the LA Coliseum. There have been rumors about them playing there for awhile. Until then, be prepared for an abysmal average attendance from them this year. Whats worse is apparently a lot of their tickets distributed have been freebies. By the way, I am in no way saying that this 'move' will help them, just what I believe will happen. Also, I'm not sure a move to San Diego is a great idea, Club Tijuana is close enough to San Diego that any soccer fans who need their fix are likely going to their games. I believe the best move for Chivas is to leave and never come back but we'll see what happens in the off season.

Geez. 7K people in a 95k stadium. It's going to look terrible.

MarkEightThree
03-10-2013, 10:24 PM
Fold the team, allow Orlando to get their MLS club. Garber still has his heart set on New York being the 20th MLS team so 'relocating' a failed club might be the only way the Orlando ownership sneaks in.

james
03-10-2013, 11:40 PM
ya if Chivas play at LA Coliseum it is 95k stadium for a team that avereaged 13,056 last year probably cunting free giveaway tickets, will look really bad. Chivas need new name and movee location.

New England need to get out of Foxborough stadium as it is to big and 48.4km outside of Boston. New stadium in Boston I think would do very well.

Dallas should of never moved to Frisco as they are also to far out of the city 43.2km from Dallas. Don't know for sure how well Dallas would do if they played in the city but Houston averaged 21k last year in there new stadium downtown (wonder if the same would work in Dallas?).

DC United need a new stadium, current one is falling apart.

Teams like Colorado and Columbus are just difficult cities to sell tickets. Some games they get good attendence others very low. Don't know what they could do.

Cashcleaner
03-11-2013, 12:37 AM
It needs a new name, it needs a new stadium, it needs to move out of Carson.

Yes, yes, and yes.

There are plenty of cities with groups interested in bringing in an MLS, including Sacramento which the league might consider in a possible relocation by Chivas. I don't know where the club will actually end up, but it's clear that right now that they aren't getting the numbers the need to survive with their current business plan.

prizby
03-11-2013, 01:18 AM
CBA ends in 2014; Garber has said he doesn't want salaries to go up way too much-likes the slow steady approach; most capped leagues negotiate salaries based on a % of revenue; having some net losers stay losers until the new CBA has been negotiated would be part the MLS' strategic plan

Brooker
03-11-2013, 03:18 AM
Move the team north.... I would love a trip to the Bay Area.

jimiv
03-11-2013, 05:52 AM

Isn't San Jose in the "Bay Area"?

jloome
03-11-2013, 06:08 AM

yep.

I'd move them south, call them CD San Diego. Mexican-American population there is enormous as well, but San Diego is under-represented for sports.

Fort York Redcoat
03-11-2013, 07:39 AM

yep.

Yeah but nobody leaves their heart there. :)

o6D7ftg8gfo

This convo has been ongoing annually but if this year's different for lease reasons and CBA's next year it may put the final nail in.

prizby
03-11-2013, 11:05 AM
yep.

I'd move them south, call them CD San Diego. Mexican-American population there is enormous as well, but San Diego is under-represented for sports.

San Diego has a team: Club Tijuana

ensco
03-11-2013, 11:10 AM
Maybe the owner will move them to Juarez (border town to El Paso). The team there that was in the Primera a couple of years ago has disbanded.

just kidding. The drug/security problem there is beyond out of control. The better idea, if the owner wants to keep the Mexican identity, is San Antonio. Brand new stadium being built there. Check out who plays for their NASL team btw
http://www.sascorpions.com/team-news/item/260-defensive-midfielder-pat-phelan-joins-scorpions-for-2013-season

tfcleeds
03-11-2013, 11:53 AM
^Pretty sure ex-TFC Matt Gold plays for them too. At least, he did.

Yohan
03-11-2013, 12:04 PM
^Pretty sure ex-TFC Matt Gold plays for them too. At least, he did.
I think Gold now plays for Carolina

Yohan
03-11-2013, 12:07 PM
MLS has to step in at some point. Not just because Chivas USA is tanking in LA, but Vergara is treating MLS like a farm team for Chivas Guadalajara and that won't sit well with MLS's image and marketing efforts

ryan
03-11-2013, 12:23 PM
Chivas aint leaving LA. I think Garber made it clear he wants two LA clubs.

The whole mexican club slant was terribly stupid, alienating most fans they could have had.

Still boils my blood they are a fully out latino side and Canadians can't get a fair shake down there. MLS does a better job at developing south of the US than those from the North, and we fuckin fund this league dammit. Toronto helped put this bloody league on the map.

MartinUtd
03-11-2013, 12:39 PM
Sell the team to Beckham has it's the league's best shot and nullifying their contractual obligations without giving away a new franchise at below market value. It will be easier to re-brand with Beckham than without.

QBall
03-11-2013, 01:02 PM
I agree that if they are going to keep the Chivas name that San Diego is the most logical choice, however I see them having problems in the future in that maintaining the Chivas name means they will probably receive no general support from the city of San Diego in general. This means they could re-experience the same apathy they're receiving now. However whatever happens it has to happen soon. This is just embarrassing.

ag futbol
03-11-2013, 01:56 PM
East LA makes a lot of sense too. They are more than big enough to support two teams in the area, but to have one really poorly performing team and one super-team play out of the same location... well it's feast and famine. You'd be mistaken to think the Galaxy doesn't have a lot of Mexican American fans, they have tons. The Chivas brand isn't nearly as big of a seller as the club ownership wants it to be.

Everything they are doing with that club is just incredibly flawed.

james
03-11-2013, 02:01 PM

according to Google the distance San Jose to San Fracisco is 77km and estimate 49mins drive.

For comparison Hamilton to Toronto distance is 69km and estimate time of 51 mins driving.

Anyways i don't know if San Fran and San Jose could support 2 teams that close to each other, but then you never know as San Jose is a different city. San Fran is not as big as Toronto is but it is more densely populated, and San Jose is just about double the population size of Hamilton with just under 1 million people. I San Fran had a soccer stadium downtown i think it would do very well, it might hurt San Jose tho.

james
03-11-2013, 02:08 PM
East LA makes a lot of sense too. They are more than big enough to support two teams in the area, but to have one really poorly performing team and one super-team play out of the same location... well it's feast and famine. You'd be mistaken to think the Galaxy doesn't have a lot of Mexican American fans, they have tons. The Chivas brand isn't nearly as big of a seller as the club ownership wants it to be.

Everything they are doing with that club is just incredibly flawed.

I don't know, i think it is difficult to have 2 teams in the same league in any city sport in this country and exspecially difficult for a Soccer team as it is not the biggest sport over here. And again LA seems like a big city but it is spread out over a large mass area, it is not like New York where there is a huge population in a small area.

But being named Chivas is the worst tho, that keeps even Mexicans away from who might support Club America, Atlas, Pachuca, Cruz Azul exc who probably hate Chivs and would not support a team called Chivas and owned by Chivas in Mexico.

billyfly
03-11-2013, 02:10 PM
Just re-name them Barca and everyone will "lub dem".

Abou Sky
03-11-2013, 02:45 PM
Any reason for the Tucson or Phoenix not to have a team?

As I understand it FC Tucson has a pretty decent following for a PDL team.

I am not neccesarily saying that they should have the NEXT team, but maybe after Orlando.

Garber seems like a super sharp guy, I can't see him having his heart set on a second NYC team without there being data to back it up.

Oldtimer
03-11-2013, 02:54 PM
But being named Chivas is the worst tho, that keeps even Mexicans away from who might support Club America, Atlas, Pachuca, Cruz Azul exc who probably hate Chivs and would not support a team called Chivas and owned by Chivas in Mexico.

Exactly. Imagine if they set up a team for Canadian expats somewhere, and called it the Impact!

prizby
03-11-2013, 03:31 PM
this is exactly why they shouldn't be focusing on team #20 being in NYC...especially when the Shite Bulls can't sell out

Super
03-11-2013, 03:45 PM
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Classic-Comedy-Anchorman-Ron-Burgandy-San-Diego-A-Whales-Vagina-custom-tee-/00/s/ODQyWDExMzA=/$(KGrHqV,!ksE5dGviwttBOfp5YGC,Q~~60_35.JPG

nfitz
03-11-2013, 04:10 PM
this is exactly why they shouldn't be focusing on team #20 being in NYC...especially when the Shite Bulls can't sell outThough the Bull isn't in NYC. Sure, it's not a far ride from lower Manhattan at their new location ... but it's still quite the haul from Queens, Brooklyn, or the Bronx. NYC can handle a team.

ag futbol
03-11-2013, 04:19 PM
I don't know, i think it is difficult to have 2 teams in the same league in any city sport in this country and exspecially difficult for a Soccer team as it is not the biggest sport over here. And again LA seems like a big city but it is spread out over a large mass area, it is not like New York where there is a huge population in a small area.
It's a competitive sports market, but soccer is very popular. Traffic being what it is in southern California, if you place a team in a different end of the city you'll get a different group of people. Similar to New York, there's still subculture depending on which area you are in.

It's not exactly a centralized place, so this is sort of a bad comparison, but..... the distance between HDC in Carson and the Staples center which is downtown is approximately 24km. In Toronto terms that's comparable to the ACC from the hershey center in Mississauga, but it's even worse when you consider average travel times and that traffic in LA can be hell on any day of the week and public transit is completely awful. Population wise, half the population of LA is still twice the population of San Diego. And that would amount to being a top 5-6 market in MLS. Demographic wise, it's also more diverse than San Diego. Club Tijuana tends to vie for the attention of a lot of football supporters in the city, so it's not like the market is completely vacant.

I don't think they're crazy for wanting to be in LA. They just have to get to another area of the city that's currently under-served. San Diego isn't a bad option, but it certainly has drawbacks as well.

prizby
03-11-2013, 04:26 PM
Though the Bull isn't in NYC. Sure, it's not a far ride from lower Manhattan at their new location ... but it's still quite the haul from Queens, Brooklyn, or the Bronx. NYC can handle a team.

look where tfc fans come from...brantford, hamilton, niagara, barrie, oshawa, kingston, ottawa etc...

nfitz
03-11-2013, 04:48 PM
look where tfc fans come from...brantford, hamilton, niagara, barrie, oshawa, kingston, ottawa etc...It's New York though ... it's a different planet down there. I can't fathom the anti-New Jersey vibe I get from people down there ...

To be honest though ... I wouldn't be travelling to BMO Field every week from most of those places ... Hamilton and Oshawa maybe ...

Do the Hamilton Tiger Cats get many coming from Toronto? They draw more people than the Argos on average. Well, every CFL team drew more people last year than the Argos - except Montreal. Maybe it's not just about the size of the market ...

And Chivas attendance is certainly not about the size of the market, or 2 teams being in the market.

Redcoe15
03-11-2013, 05:17 PM
Chivas aint leaving LA. I think Garber made it clear he wants two LA clubs.

With Garber wanting badly a second New York team, pulling CUSA out of LA would send a bad message out there.

Of course, if they have to move, my choice would be St. Louis, a longtime soccer market with deep roots in the game.

Any reason for the Tucson or Phoenix not to have a team?

As I understand it FC Tucson has a pretty decent following for a PDL team.

I am not neccesarily saying that they should have the NEXT team, but maybe after Orlando.
If MLS has an eye towards Arizona, it'll be Phoenix and not Tuscon, which is too small for their liking.

Auzzy
03-11-2013, 06:13 PM
Exactly. Imagine if they set up a team for Canadian expats somewhere, and called it the Impact!

Well, if the team was modeled after the Impact, it would barely have any Canadian players... ;)

prizby
03-11-2013, 06:20 PM
It's New York though ... it's a different planet down there. I can't fathom the anti-New Jersey vibe I get from people down there ...

To be honest though ... I wouldn't be travelling to BMO Field every week from most of those places ... Hamilton and Oshawa maybe ...

Do the Hamilton Tiger Cats get many coming from Toronto? They draw more people than the Argos on average. Well, every CFL team drew more people last year than the Argos - except Montreal. Maybe it's not just about the size of the market ...

And Chivas attendance is certainly not about the size of the market, or 2 teams being in the market.

was in New York a couple years ago; got around on transit real easy. even to brooklyn/queens

Rudy
03-11-2013, 08:31 PM
A failed experiment. There has been, according to some people, no publicity at all for the team. Some of there supporters groups have disbanded. They have no local English language TV coverage.

Although moving would be a good thing, most other venues would be more expensive to rent.

I think MLS will pull the plug on ownership after two more seasons. New owners will probably move the team to another part of the suburbs.

So true. I was in Boston in October, and wanted to pick up NERev shirt or anything for my son, and not one store knew what i was talking about. No one downtown Boston stores, or even sports store had any NERev merchandise, or hardly even knew what NERev were.... they looked at me like I have two heads!!,

West220Side
03-12-2013, 01:02 AM
Uh-huh but did any of you know Eva Longoria is Chivas USA's biggest fan? Fan base.

dutch
03-12-2013, 11:04 PM
""But being named Chivas is the worst tho, that keeps even Mexicans away from who might support Club America, Atlas, Pachuca, Cruz Azul exc who probably hate Chivs and would not support a team called Chivas and owned by Chivas in Mexico""

I never thought about that. what a massive mistake, even if they move. theyre named incorrectly for the demographics of the area
only a millionaire could be this thoughtless and egotistical lmao

james
03-13-2013, 01:23 PM
look where tfc fans come from...brantford, hamilton, niagara, barrie, oshawa, kingston, ottawa etc...

ya but the average person would not travel from places like Niagra, Barrie, kingston, and ottawa to go to TFC games on a reguler basis, only a diehard fan might do that. Which is a small amount of people.

Also in New York City driving is alot different, something like only 1 out of 4 people own a car compared to here where almost everyone seems to own a car. There most people take the transit, the transit system is much, much bigger then our system.

james
03-13-2013, 01:30 PM
So true. I was in Boston in October, and wanted to pick up NERev shirt or anything for my son, and not one store knew what i was talking about. No one downtown Boston stores, or even sports store had any NERev merchandise, or hardly even knew what NERev were.... they looked at me like I have two heads!!,

He was talking about Chivas USA, but New England does also need to move. Well they need to move into Boston to have any chance of improving the attendence and not playing out in Foxborough 43km away from the city in a town wih a population of 16,000 people in a 70k Patriots stadium. A name change in New England also wouldn't hurt to rebrand this team.

prizby
03-13-2013, 01:57 PM
ya but the average person would not travel from places like Niagra, Barrie, kingston, and ottawa to go to TFC games on a reguler basis, only a diehard fan might do that. Which is a small amount of people.

Also in New York City driving is alot different, something like only 1 out of 4 people own a car compared to here where almost everyone seems to own a car. There most people take the transit, the transit system is much, much bigger then our system.

which is more of a reason why they should be able to make it

ryan
03-13-2013, 02:05 PM
He was talking about Chivas USA, but New England does also need to move. Well they need to move into Boston to have any chance of improving the attendence and not playing out in Foxborough 43km away from the city in a town wih a population of 16,000 people in a 70k Patriots stadium. A name change in New England also wouldn't hurt to rebrand this team.

Bob Kraft gives no fucks, he only has this team to use Gillette when the Patriots aren't using it.