03-08-2013, 12:49 PM
http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2013/03/tfc-acquires-bostock-loan

Now maybe we can have a separate thread for Bostock? lol

ryan
03-08-2013, 12:49 PM
More offense is good. :hump:

Globetrotter
03-08-2013, 12:53 PM
I don't follow overseas soccer... but aren't those teams he played for pretty low divisions (worse than MLS)?

Oldtimer
03-08-2013, 12:55 PM
http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2013/03/tfc-acquires-bostock-loan

Now maybe we can have a separate thread for Bostock? lol

Yep, that's the rule, lol. Needs club or conventional media confirmation. Should be posted in "news" however, so I'm moving it there. ;)

ManUtd4ever
03-08-2013, 01:00 PM
Gotta love how the TFC website has a picture of Bostock in his Spurs kit even though his last club was Swindon Town, LOL.

The kid has a fairly impressive pedigree, and I trust Nelsen's judgement based on the time they spent together at Tottenham. Hopefully he will add some creativity in the midfield.

Oldtimer
03-08-2013, 01:00 PM
Looks like a young work in progress, but might be good enough already for MLS.

Yohan
03-08-2013, 01:09 PM
Yep, that's the rule, lol. Needs club or conventional media confirmation. Should be posted in "news" however, so I'm moving it there. ;)
you know I'm just going to make a new thread in general forum to talk about Bostock ;)

justin
03-08-2013, 01:11 PM
from the official TFC website...

Pronunciation: “Boss-tock”

So we have two bosses on the squad this year with him and Ag-Boss :)

DangerRed
03-08-2013, 01:12 PM
NICE! Frankenstein FC lurches forward!!

Oldtimer
03-08-2013, 01:13 PM
you know I'm just going to make a new thread in general forum to talk about Bostock ;)

:lol: haha

He looks like a real leader, captained England's U-17 side. We see again Nelsen's desire for character.

Pint
03-08-2013, 01:33 PM
Unlike Ephraim and Earnshaw he should be fully fit after training for the past month with different clubs.

TOBOR !
03-08-2013, 01:38 PM
Hopefully we'll be treated to one or two of these :

xXCCIkJsnKI

Northern Soul
03-08-2013, 02:04 PM
Gotta love how the TFC website has a picture of Bostock in his Spurs kit even though his last club was Swindon Town, LOL.

Why LOL? He is a Spurs player, they loaned him to us. It kinda makes sense he's in a Spurs kit.

Dv23
03-08-2013, 02:06 PM
Now we have Boss-tock and Ag-boss; Ashton Morgan and Taylor Ashton; Logan Emory, Emory Welshman, and a genuine Welshman in Earnshaw. I think this is all on purpose. We should try for Kyle Beckermen so that he can match up with Kyle Bekker.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
03-08-2013, 02:07 PM
One Johnny BOSTOCK
Theres only one johnny bostock
ONE JOHHHHHNNNY BOOOOOSSSTOCK

Theres only one johnny bostock.......

ensco
03-08-2013, 02:12 PM
All these loan deals are a testament to the high regard for Nelsen in England.

They're pretty tricky though, from our POV. Mostly they don't work out.

billyfly
03-08-2013, 02:18 PM
All these loan deals are a testament to the high regard for Nelsen in England.

They're pretty tricky though, from our POV. Mostly they don't work out.

I agree Ensco. It appears this might have been one of Payne's reasons for hiring(believing so strongly in) Nelsen.

Looks like this is the plan.

tfcleeds
03-08-2013, 02:29 PM
My only concern is why did SJ pass on him? Oh well, let's hope one club's trash is another club's treasure.

PopePouri
03-08-2013, 02:31 PM
My only concern is why did SJ pass on him? Oh well, let's hope one club's trash is another club's treasure.

I've heard it was for Wondo's DP deal and the effort to fit him in the cap.

T-boy
03-08-2013, 02:32 PM
So, my father saw Bostock play for Swindon against Oxford earlier this season in the Johnston'n Paint Trophy. Oxford won. But my father says that Bostock came on as a sub, and completely changed the game and was by far Swindon's best player. He sounds like a very "individual" player, somebody like Taraabt, but decent. Spurs usually have very good reserve players. I used to go watch the Spurs reserve team when they played Oxford, and Spurs were always the best reserve team to watch in the reserve league. I expect Bostock to be at a good level.

ManUtd4ever
03-08-2013, 02:54 PM
Why LOL? He is a Spurs player, they loaned him to us. It kinda makes sense he's in a Spurs kit.

I know, but he hasn't played for Spurs in quite some time. It obviously makes for better PR to have him displayed in Tottenham's colors on the TFC website, I'm just having fun with it.

Klinsmann
03-08-2013, 03:21 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/600276_10151283236716805_1080747824_n.jpg

ag futbol
03-08-2013, 03:56 PM
Wasn't a huge fan of these deals at first but IMO they are low risk, high reward.

Great way to provide the team with a stop-gap in terms of performances on the field, while not sacrificing the long run.

TFCAURORA
03-08-2013, 03:58 PM
it seems that some current midfielders at tic days are numbered. we have a ton of midfielders

TOBOR !
03-08-2013, 04:21 PM
I also think that they fact that clubs like Spurs will loan players out to MLS sides speaks to the overall legitimacy of the league... or am I just repeating what everyone else is saying ?

Oldtimer
03-08-2013, 04:23 PM
I also think that they fact that clubs like Spurs will loan players out to MLS sides speaks to the overall legitimacy of the league... or am I just repeating what everyone else is saying ?

You're saying it's the league, some are saying that it's Nelsen himself.

Yohan
03-08-2013, 04:28 PM
You're saying it's the league, some are saying that it's Nelsen himself.
more like Yallop. Spurs respect the work Yallop did with Dawkins

ensco
03-08-2013, 04:35 PM
Wasn't a huge fan of these deals at first but IMO they are low risk, high reward.

Great way to provide the team with a stop-gap in terms of performances on the field, while not sacrificing the long run.

I'd rather develop your own.

If the player sucks, then it was a waste (Stefanovic). If he does well, we will inevitably overpay to keep him (eg Eckersley, Plata). Payne isn't superhuman, he'll have trouble resisting it.

Marc"2L"
03-08-2013, 04:50 PM
He's got a funny haircut,

means he's good right?

You're only allowed a funny haircut if you're good. That's in the laws isn't it?

ag futbol
03-08-2013, 05:06 PM
I'd rather develop your own.

If the player sucks, then it was a waste (Stefanovic). If he does well, we will inevitably overpay to keep him (eg Eckersley, Plata). Payne isn't superhuman, he'll have trouble resisting it.
That’s certainly a risk. And you could always get caught in the trap of “he’s been mediocre on the field but oh he fits in so well in the locker room, let’s get him anyway, he’ll probably pick up the performance later”.

I’m big on developing our own guys, but we need some other pieces around to help us do that. When you’re in an organization that’s always in crisis mode, it is very difficult to bring people along. You need to place them in a situation that’s challenging yet still achievable. To me that usually means having a core of experienced guys and then placing a young player or two throughout. Processes and systems have to be held together. If they aren’t, the kid isn’t really out there learning what we asked him to. This is all part of the reason why I think the roster the CSA called to that last friendly was entirely ridiculous.

So I think if we stay disciplined and realistic with these loans, it could be a best of all worlds. Key is going to be establishing the pipeline and finding the replacements before we even think about extending contracts or not. If we can do that, and not have too much familiarity bias, we leave ourselves with options are less likely to be suckered into Plata / Eckersley type contracts.

Yohan
03-08-2013, 05:31 PM
more like Yallop. Spurs respect the work Yallop did with Dawkins
http://www.torontofc.ca/video/2013/03/08/john-bostock-march-8-2013

Bostock confirms he came to MLS because Dawkins had a good loan at SJ

ensco
03-08-2013, 06:56 PM
I see that this guy was one of the top 16 year olds in England. There was an epic fight over his rights.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/may/31/premierleague.championship

Auzzy
03-08-2013, 08:41 PM
Now we have Boss-tock and Ag-boss; Ashton Morgan and Taylor Ashton; Logan Emory, Emory Welshman, and a genuine Welshman in Earnshaw. I think this is all on purpose. We should try for Kyle Beckermen so that he can match up with Kyle Bekker.

Ha, they even got you confused. No Taylor Ashton on the team. But we've got Ashtone Bennet, Ashton Morgan, and Taylor Morgan.

I'm looking forward to the first time Dobson calls a game for TFC this season. Well, not really looking forward to that, but it should bring some comedic relief.

Alonso
03-08-2013, 09:02 PM
Ha, they even got you confused. No Taylor Ashton on the team. But we've got Ashtone Bennet, Ashton Morgan, and Taylor Morgan.

I'm looking forward to the first time Dobson calls a game for TFC this season. Well, not really looking forward to that, but it should bring some comedic relief.

Hahaha!

I'm not trying to be racist here.... and this never turns out good when you start a sentence as such.

But the man (Dobson) mixes up all of our black players left right and centre. Calling one the other and vice versa.

Ajax TFC
03-08-2013, 10:09 PM
Hahaha!

I'm not trying to be racist here.... and this never turns out good when you start a sentence as such.

But the man (Dobson) mixes up all of our black players left right and centre. Calling one the other and vice versa.
[Six foot tall player wearing #9 gets the ball] Dobson: "Joao Plata"
[five foot two player wearing #7 takes on a bunch of defenders on the left wing] Dobson: "Julian de Guzman"

The sad thing is that I didn't make these examples up

JuliquE
03-08-2013, 10:12 PM

Actually, it's Ashton Bennett and Ashtone Morgan.

This shit is hard!

Marc"2L"
03-08-2013, 11:05 PM
Ok, I don't want to put anybody under
but

Dobson needs to stop doing commentary, he can host and report, but I'm sure Craig has had enough of having to correct him.

The number of mistakes at this level of presentation is a bit excessive. It's not fun to tell somebody they are doing poorly at trying to improve something you've been painfully aware for a while.

Or he doesn't give a flying f.

I'd like to think he cares enough to step away from the booth and figure something out around the sport.

Jpexxx
03-08-2013, 11:53 PM
[Six foot tall player wearing #9 gets the ball] Dobson: "Joao Plata"
[five foot two player wearing #7 takes on a bunch of defenders on the left wing] Dobson: "Julian de Guzman"

The sad thing is that I didn't make these examples up

yeah he really irks me.

I remember once Jeff Cunningham broke away from the D, and Jerry actually says "Attakora, in on goal!!"

I understand if you make the odd mistake... But why would Attakora ever be on a break. it makes no sense... sometimes i feel like he's being overtly racists as a troll.

sashavukelich
03-09-2013, 12:20 AM
^^^ He's also an old-confused man....so...let's not worry to much.

sashavukelich
03-09-2013, 12:21 AM
p.s welcome to the club Johnny B!!!! excited to have you on board and to drop some bombs!

greatwhitenorf
03-10-2013, 08:46 AM
Word I've read on Spurs fan sites is that Bostock's contract expires later this year and he's a long way from first team play. Could be available to us long-term. Have to say his work yesterday was very impressive. Even showed discipline when KC's left back kept trying to go through his spine chasing headers. Sweet revenge when Bostock pulled a great move down the sideline and forced him into taking a yellow card.

ManUtd4ever
03-10-2013, 09:23 AM
Solid debut. One of the best technical wing players we've ever had.

BeachTory
03-10-2013, 09:39 AM
Word I've read on Spurs fan sites is that Bostock's contract expires later this year and he's a long way from first team play. Could be available to us long-term. Have to say his work yesterday was very impressive. Even showed discipline when KC's left back kept trying to go through his spine chasing headers. Sweet revenge when Bostock pulled a great move down the sideline and forced him into taking a yellow card.

All mls deals that are loans include options to buy. All loan deals. This means
we already have an option to buy for long term. We will use it in July (end of loan period), we will send him back or we will renegotiate on better terms. Only three options. Every time. MLS does not do loan deals structured otherwise.

the question will be price, and price of other players available in July. Since we have at least 4 players on similar loans to july, change will continue.
sure looks like the quality has improved

Red CB Toronto
03-10-2013, 09:46 AM
All mls deals that are loans include options to buy. All loan deals. This means
we already have an option to buy for long term. We will use it in July (end of loan period), we will send him back or we will renegotiate on better terms. Only three options. Every time. MLS does not do loan deals structured otherwise.

the question will be price, and price of other players available in July. Since we have at least 4 players on similar loans to july, change will continue.
sure looks like the quality has improved

That is not correct on the matter of Bostock as his contract with the Spurs expires in July. So when July comes he would be free to sign where ever his chooses.

Morlesio14
03-10-2013, 10:07 AM
Solid debut. One of the best technical wing players we've ever had.

Would you guys rather have him down the middle and put ephraim on the wing?

PopePouri
03-10-2013, 10:11 AM

I would and I was surprised Nelsen went with Bosstock on the wing and Ephraim in the hole. Ephraim is probably more suited for the wing and better defensively.

ManUtd4ever
03-10-2013, 10:32 AM

In order to make room for Silva in the hole, I'd prefer Bostock and Ephraim on the wings and Lambe as a sub.

JuliquE
03-10-2013, 02:41 PM
In order to make room for Silva in the hole, I'd prefer Bostock and Ephraim on the wings and Lambe as a sub.
Yes, this is what I've been saying; Silva doesn't have enough pace to play out wide (disappears for stretches), but he's got too much quality to leave out of the side. Mind you, I don't think it would be wise to give him the start, in Montreal, considering he's coming off injury and likely lacking a bit of fitness, as a result; that turf takes no prisoners and the attacking players we have are playing relatively well. Let them continue to learn about each other, in this one and bring Silva on as a sub.

TFC07
03-10-2013, 04:40 PM
Silva could be expendable if Bostock signs a longer term deal with TFC once his loan deal is over. Bostock, Bekker and potential signing in the summer means TFC might not have enough room for Silva.

Yohan
03-10-2013, 04:50 PM
Silva could be expendable if Bostock signs a longer term deal with TFC once his loan deal is over. Bostock, Bekker and potential signing in the summer means TFC might not have enough room for Silva.crazy talk. Silva counts as a domestic and makes like 55k in salary.

TFC07
03-10-2013, 04:58 PM
crazy talk. Silva counts as a domestic and makes like 55k in salary.

TFC needs wingers, a forward and an international slot. Since Silva has value in the league, I wouldn't be surprised teams ask for Silva. I personally don't hope he gets traded, but sometimes you need to give up value to get value in return. Plus like you said, he's domestic player which makes him even more valuable.

Yohan
03-10-2013, 05:12 PM
TFC needs wingers, a forward and an international slot. Since Silva has value in the league, I wouldn't be surprised teams ask for Silva. I personally don't hope he gets traded, but sometimes you need to give up value to get value in return. Plus like you said, he's domestic player which makes him even more valuable.
IMO TFC should be building a team around Silva. He may be the next David Ferreira

TFC07
03-10-2013, 05:29 PM
IMO TFC should be building a team around Silva. He may be the next David Ferreira
Wow! I don't know what to say about that given Silva is already in his prime years (He's 24 years old already).

Yohan
03-10-2013, 05:52 PM
Wow! I don't know what to say about that given Silva is already in his prime years (He's 24 years old already).
and yet scored 5 goals 5 assists last year playing Mariner hoofball. the lad can shoot, head, pass and knows how to find space. if he develops a little more composure, he'd go to places.

Pigfynn
03-10-2013, 06:33 PM
and yet scored 5 goals 5 assists last year playing Mariner hoofball. the lad can shoot, head, pass and knows how to find space. if he develops a little more composure, he'd go to places.

This

Ajax TFC
03-10-2013, 08:39 PM
Silva could be expendable if Bostock signs a longer term deal with TFC once his loan deal is over. Bostock, Bekker and potential signing in the summer means TFC might not have enough room for Silva.
This kind of thinking is what got TFC into the position of having no depth domestic players who aren't a full class below the starting caliber players. When you get a player like Silva, you keep holding onto him until his salary surpasses the value he provides.

jloome
03-11-2013, 06:12 AM

Bostock is entirely left-footed but cuts inside constantly, which is why he played right wing but spend most of his time inside. We're not going to see many high crosses with Earnshaw in the box, so neither Ephraim nor Bostock will really play as a winger right now, more as a drifting forward ("advanced forward" they used to call it, I think.)

Wooster_TFC
03-11-2013, 10:12 AM
Bostock is entirely left-footed but cuts inside constantly, which is why he played right wing but spend most of his time inside. We're not going to see many high crosses with Earnshaw in the box, so neither Ephraim nor Bostock will really play as a winger right now, more as a drifting forward ("advanced forward" they used to call it, I think.)

Inside Forward is usually the term for the "cut in Winger".

Detroit_TFC
03-11-2013, 10:21 AM
This kind of thinking is what got TFC into the position of having no depth domestic players who aren't a full class below the starting caliber players. When you get a player like Silva, you keep holding onto him until his salary surpasses the value he provides.

Yes!

ManUtd4ever
03-11-2013, 10:26 AM
Trading Silva at this point would be ill advised and short sighted to say the least. He has the potential to evolve into a perennial MLS all star, and as others have mentioned, it would be a refreshing change to watch one of our highly touted draft picks develop in Toronto FC colors as opposed to with another team.

MKR
03-11-2013, 10:37 AM
Well he certainly puts the 'boss' in bostock

jabbronies
03-11-2013, 10:46 AM
Trading Silva at this point would be ill advised and short sighted to say the least. He has the potential to evolve into a perennial MLS all star, and as others have mentioned, it would be a refreshing change to watch one of our highly touted draft picks develop in Toronto FC colors as opposed to with another team.

Agreed with this. Not sure why we would trade him. The guy is another creative option to bring the ball forward. We need all the help we can going forward!

Bostock was good, but he is very 1 dimensional right now. Teams will figure him out if he doesn't change it up a bit, and when they do, it'll be nice to have Silva there to change it up and take the heat off of Bostock.

ag futbol
03-11-2013, 11:12 AM
Depends what's on the other end of the trade. If we can take somebody else's highly regarded domestic prospect then it's really a wash.

I have some concern that once we have signed our argentine #10 we'll have too many players who want to occupy that same spot on the field, while not having enough true wide options.

Dreadlocks
03-11-2013, 11:15 AM
I like Bostock's skill on the ball but he seems to hold onto the ball a bit too long - but a game changer just the same. He is a completely different player to Silva and could NEVER make him expendable.

jabbronies
03-11-2013, 11:19 AM
I like Bostock's skill on the ball but he seems to hold onto the ball a bit too long - but a game changer just the same. He is a completely different player to Silva and could NEVER make him expendable.

Which is why Silva would be a good backup option to Bostock. They both add something different to the mix. They are both young players and have a few years to develop yet. I personally wouldn't get rid of either just yet.

OgtheDim
03-11-2013, 02:25 PM
Bostock has to learn to take the opposing WB to the line and cross against that pressure. If he cuts back in as much as he did on Saturday, other teams will adjust.

Yohan
03-11-2013, 02:28 PM
Bostock has to learn to take the opposing WB to the line and cross against that pressure. If he cuts back in as much as he did on Saturday, other teams will adjust.
sounds like Plata lol

Ajax TFC
03-11-2013, 03:34 PM
Then he has to be played on the left side. According to Nelsen he doesn't have much of a right foot, which isn't surprising. You can't expect a one footed player playing on their off side to drive to the end line and cross it with their bad foot. That's just a waste of their ability