PDA

View Full Version : Why San Jose is a must win.....

ensco
07-17-2008, 11:02 AM
...here's the 5 following games:

@ Real Salt Lake
FC Dallas
@ Colorado Rapids
@ New York Red Bulls
New England Revolution

We will be fortunate to get more than a point out of the 3 road games, and NE is always tough.

This stretch may not put us in the playoffs, but it could sure put us out, if we don't get 7 or 8 points (minimum) out of the next 6 games. Without beating SJ, that'll be difficult to achieve. Remember we need a little cushion going into October, as we close the season mostly on the road (4 of final 6 games are away).

Also we need some positive momentum for the Montreal game.

Parkdale
07-17-2008, 11:04 AM
calling NE "tough" is an understatement. They are damn near impossible.

Laurignano
07-17-2008, 11:06 AM
calling NE "tough" is an understatement. They are damn near impossible.
Not unless we bring in Ronaldinho....lol

Batman
07-17-2008, 11:06 AM
To top it off, San Jose is coming off a 4-0 win against Honduras.
They'll be pretty pumped up this weekend.

Nuvinho
07-17-2008, 11:07 AM
I don't want to lose to San Jose, it would be a disgrace.

I am waiting for a TFC to give a team a pounding like they did last year against FC Dallas. This is the time for everyone to wake up and start putting the ball in the back of the net (not offside goals like Cunny is good at).

Cambridge_Red
07-17-2008, 11:12 AM
We were robbed of a point in Chicago. Things are getting a little better we just need everyone to realize 95% effort isn't good enough. Edu for me played his best game all year versus independiente. It's guys like these that need to get their shit together. NE is probably a write off, but we should beat RSL and Colorado away.

Batman
07-17-2008, 11:14 AM
Personally I think 101.75% effort will be required.

ensco
07-17-2008, 11:17 AM
we should beat RSL and Colorado away.

you're kidding, right?

RSL are hot right now, 4-1-3 in last 8 games, and the Rapids are very tough to beat in Denver (they're 5-2-1 there this year) because of altitude.

Did you not see highlights of Colorado's pasting of the Red Bulls last week? (which, btw, was a festival of errors by Goldthwaite and Boyens)

Parkdale
07-17-2008, 11:20 AM

Clearly, your ability to be logical has been effected by the removal of your mustache.

TFC Cityboy
07-17-2008, 11:30 AM
ah yes but the red bulls are SHITE

Oblio2
07-17-2008, 11:33 AM
Here, a chant for San Jose...to the tune Spurs fans sing, for Sol campbell:

"You can stick O'Brien up your Arse
You can stick O'Brien up your Arse
You can stick O'Brien.....
Stick O'Brien.....
stick O'Brien up your Arse...........

Cos we Rickets on the wing
we Rickets on the wing
We got Rickets
We got Rickets
we Rickets on the wing"

repeat Ad Nauseam
:)

mclaren
07-17-2008, 11:37 AM
TBH, I can't see us getting more than 4 points away for the rest of the season.

ensco
07-17-2008, 11:39 AM
Banner idea: "Hey San Jose, Stop Mowing Our Turf!"

Ossington Mental Youth
07-17-2008, 11:43 AM
God we need to win this and there is no reason as to why we should not.

invictusTFC
07-17-2008, 12:26 PM
Scoring goals has definitely been our Achilles heal over this rough stretch of games. We have been generating opportunities but not finishing them off. I'm almost afraid to say it, but Ibrahim (a 16 yr. old) might be our most effective forward. After the team signed Robert, Ricketts and Guevara I had such optimism as the likes of Dichio and Cunningham would finally get some service. But they have only disappointed. I thought Dichio would have been a monster out there this season, but he has been inconsistent at best. I truly believe his age has caught up to him. What can be said about Cunningham's effort this season that hasn't been said a million times already on this thread. He's a cancer for this team. He has a bad attitude and its projected on the field. You see it in his mannerisms. He is lazy out there and playing like he's waiting to get traded. Smith has been a bright spot for this team, but he lacks the quality to be a starter on this club. If only some of the other players had his work ethic (yeah, that was another shot at Cunny!)
Like many fans my fingers are crossed hoping that Mo can entice a quality striker to join this organization. I can see how difficult it is to convince players to come over here and play on plastic. That has to be the main reason. Why would a player like Hucks give up a chance to be a legend in this market to go play in front of soccer moms in Cali where nobody will even recognize him? IMO we have to play the kid on Saturday.

Cambridge_Red
07-17-2008, 12:30 PM
you're kidding, right?

RSL are hot right now, 4-1-3 in last 8 games, and the Rapids are very tough to beat in Denver (they're 5-2-1 there this year) because of altitude.

Did you not see highlights of Colorado's pasting of the Red Bulls last week? (which, btw, was a festival of errors by Goldthwaite and Boyens)

Which totally proves that nearly every team in this league is beatable. Every team has their streaks, and ffs if we don't think we can win we never will.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-17-2008, 12:31 PM
Scoring goals and clearing fucking balls.
God it drives me nuts when i watch us piss about with the fucking ball whether its in our box or theirs.

giambac
07-17-2008, 12:32 PM
...here's the 5 following games:

@ Real Salt Lake
FC Dallas
@ Colorado Rapids
@ New York Red Bulls
New England Revolution

We will be fortunate to get more than a point out of the 3 road games, and NE is always tough.

This stretch may not put us in the playoffs, but it could sure put us out, if we don't get 7 or 8 points (minimum) out of the next 6 games. Without beating SJ, that'll be difficult to achieve. Remember we need a little cushion going into October, as we close the season mostly on the road (4 of final 6 games are away).

Also we need some positive momentum for the Montreal game.

You are absolutely correct and I have pointed out this same fact in my thread and I've been called a traitor/non supporter for my comments.

After the San Jose game, TFC has 13 games and 8 are on the road, so yes this game is critical.

I stated it way back on June 14th that Carver should have used all our regular starters vs KC. WOW how we could now use those extra 2 points we let slip away when we tied them. I was looking down the raod and I knew it would come back to haunt us.
Why is everyone all of a sudden worried now????????

Laurignano
07-17-2008, 12:34 PM
I think putting Ibrahim in to start is a little bit of a stretch...hes too young he has to develop him self unfortunatly. So with that said keep him as a super sub...bring him in in situations where we need him. I do agree he is our best option but I would rather have him coming off the bench in the end.

Phil
07-17-2008, 12:36 PM
You are absolutely correct and I have pointed out this same fact in my thread and I've been called a traitor/non supporter for my comments.

After the San Jose game, TFC has 13 games and 8 are on the road, so yes this game is critical.

I stated it way back on June 14th that Carver should have used all our regular starters vs KC. WOW how we could now use those extra 2 points we let slip away when we tied them. I was looking down the raod and I knew it would come back to haunt us.

1. He wasn't condesending in his tone.
2. He didn't bring up the KC game.
3. bold isn't everywhere
:D

canucker
07-17-2008, 12:36 PM
I think putting Ibrahim in to start is a little bit of a stretch...hes too young he has to develop him self unfortunatly. So with that said keep him as a super sub...bring him in in situations where we need him. I do agree he is our best option but I would rather have him coming off the bench in the end.

Probably a wise idea to not rush him, don't want to screw up his development. But the scary thing is that right now we don't really have a better alternative at the moment.

Shaughno
07-17-2008, 12:38 PM

Dude, enough. You made your point in your thread. Keep all like points to THAT thread. It's been stated many, many times. Nobody has said that everything is peachy, there are improvements to be made. If you stopped bolding everything and made constructive points aside from 2 pts in KC!!!!!11!one!!eleventy!!! people might take you more seriously.

Oldtimer
07-17-2008, 12:38 PM

Get the freak back to your own anti-Carver thread.

invictusTFC
07-17-2008, 12:41 PM

People were calling you out for insinuating that Carver get fired. I too believe he made a judgment error against KC, but to put his job into question is a little much. The team has played well below its capabilities in some recent games and have had their fair share of bad luck (i.e. non-penalty call against Chicago, and countless balls hitting the post).
However, I do agree with this post. This next stretch of games will make or break this team. If the team can't pull up its socks and get some respectable results during this stretch, then I think we have to analyze Carver and his ability to motivate the players, but only then.

Damien
07-17-2008, 12:43 PM
RSL is unbeaten at home... they should NOT be taken lightly.

ensco
07-17-2008, 12:44 PM

Actually we have 14 games left after San Jose, 8 on the road.

McBrace

I read that thread, and I believe everyone commented on the fact that you were calling for Carver to get fired. Nobody was saying that these games aren't very important!!!! They felt you casted blame on Carver only, and not the entire team.

invictusTFC

Who would you start? Dichio is hurt. Cunningham has been given opportunity after opportunity to prove us all wrong, and he keeps shitting the bed. You can use the same argument to rule out Smith as a starter that you used for Ibrahim. however, the difference in quality between the two is obvious.

ensco
07-17-2008, 12:46 PM
Which totally proves that nearly every team in this league is beatable. Every team has their streaks, and ffs if we don't think we can win we never will.

True enough. Just disagreeing over the phrase "should beat them", I think "could steal one of those two, if we can get our act together" better reflects the reality

jloome
07-17-2008, 12:48 PM
I read that thread, and I believe everyone commented on the fact that you were calling for Carver to get fired. Nobody was saying that these games aren't very important!!!! They felt you casted blame on Carver only, and not the entire team.

Ah yes, but that's Giambac's stock-in-trade: reinterpretation to fit he most warped possible perspective.

giambac
07-17-2008, 12:56 PM
Dude, enough. You made your point in your thread. Keep all like points to THAT thread. It's been stated many, many times. Nobody has said that everything is peachy, there are improvements to be made. If you stopped bolding everything and made constructive points aside from 2 pts in KC!!!!!11!one!!eleventy!!! people might take you more seriously.

Okay,

I don't want to hav eto satrt a thread 8 games and counting.......

So you better call up your buddy Carver and tell him to use the best 11 players for this game. I hope we are all in agreemnet that this game is critical because it is at home and perhaps the easiest game we will have the rest of the season. We have to come out with the maximum 3 points. Anything else is unacceptable.

Carver has to use the best 11. That means R Ricketts should start and not come in as a substitute. Sutton should start in goal if he is healthy.

Shaughno
07-17-2008, 12:57 PM
I don't disagree.

See, how hard was that? :lol:

McBrace
07-17-2008, 02:25 PM
Okay,

I don't want to hav eto satrt a thread 8 games and counting.......

So you better call up your buddy Carver and tell him to use the best 11 players for this game. I hope we are all in agreemnet that this game is critical because it is at home and perhaps the easiest game we will have the rest of the season. We have to come out with the maximum 3 points. Anything else is unacceptable.

Carver has to use the best 11. That means R Ricketts should start and not come in as a substitute. Sutton should start in goal if he is healthy.

So If he doesn't start RR, and still the comes away with 3 pts, what then?

Wow you arm chair QB kill me, you know so much, but yet there you are in the stands and not on the side lines!

Blazer
07-17-2008, 02:29 PM

See, I was estimating more along the lines of 102. 25%. This should get us through the proverbial 94th minute.

1-0 TFC

giambac
07-17-2008, 02:30 PM
So If he doesn't start RR, and still the comes away with 3 pts, what then?

Wow you arm chair QB kill me, you know so much, but yet there you are in the stands and not on the side lines!

what if he doesn't start Sutton or RR and we come out with a draw or loss.

what then?
Will you still be in love with him?
Will you find another excuse?

If the game is a s critical as everyopne says then start your best 11 which includes RR. If you are of the opinion that RR isn't one of your best 11 then you should give up watching soccer. Your in the wrong sport.

Shaughno
07-17-2008, 02:32 PM

what then?

If the game is a s critical as everyopne says then start your best 11 which includes RR. If you are of the opinion that RR isn't one of your best 11 then you should give up watching soccer. Your in the wrong sport.

What if he starts both and we still lose? What then? Is it still Carver's fault for the players not getting their jobs done?

McBrace
07-17-2008, 02:34 PM

what then?

Way to answer the question with a question. I'm not getting into a useless conversation with you!

I never gave Carver any excuses, just wasn't agreeing with placing 100% of the blame on him!

That is all!:cool:

Shaughno
07-17-2008, 02:41 PM
^^ He may not want to get into it, but I sure will. :D Let's play the giambac game.

what if he does start Sutton and/or RR and we come out with a draw or loss.

what then?
Will you still think everything is Carver's fault?
Will you find another excuse to blame Carver?

If the game is as critical as you say then starting your best 11 which includes RR is a must. If you are of the opinion that Carver isn't shouldn't be coaching because the whole team is failing, you shouldn't be watching soccer. You're in the wrong sport.

:D

invictusTFC
07-17-2008, 03:00 PM
Giambac only makes excuses for one team!!! Especially when they get bounced out of major competitions...

giambac
07-17-2008, 03:22 PM
What if he starts both and we still lose? What then? Is it still Carver's fault for the players not getting their jobs done?

If hge starts the top 11 and we lose than its not his fault, you can blame the players and the team.

It's when they lose/draw and they have the likes ods Sutton/Guevera/Brennan/Ricketts on the bench that I blame the coach becasue you know these players can change the outcome of the game.

If Carver starts the 11 theat should start (barring injuries of course) then he won't get any flak from me.

ManUtd4ever
07-17-2008, 03:30 PM
If hge starts the top 11 and we lose than its not his fault, you can blame the players and the team.

It's when they lose/draw and they have the likes ods Sutton/Guevera/Brennan/Ricketts on the bench that I blame the coach becasue you know these players can change the outcome of the game.

If Carver starts the 11 theat should start (barring injuries of course) then he won't get any flak from me.

:hurray:

noochie
07-17-2008, 03:32 PM

But how does this make any sense because your "top 11" is gonna differ from someone elses. Then you blast around the "you are watching the wrong sport if you disagree with me" comments. You have already picked your target and your comments are very transparent.

colman1860
07-17-2008, 04:31 PM

Youre such a fucking pissoff...just put I TOLD YOU SO ABOUT JUNE 14TH AGAINST KANSAS CITY in your fucking signature, and then you wont have to mention it every fucking time you post.

ExiledRed
07-17-2008, 04:39 PM

You keep glossing over the circumstances of these players sitting on the bench.

Once again, mate.

When a player gets back from an international game one evening, he is not usually expected to play a club game the next day. I was surprised to see some of them coming off the b ench that day, but it was obvious we had to do something.

The other thing is, we have too many games to avoid player rotation, coupled with the fact that recovery from fieldturf games takes longer than normal.

Carver has turned this team around and make no mistake. You go on about how MO is much better, but Mo doesn't know how to change formation and tactics during a losing game and try somethiing else, nor does Mo know how to prioritise games, remember what he cost us by fielding that team against Aston Villa?

RealG-TFC
07-17-2008, 04:50 PM
4-0

Tfc

Daveisonfire
07-17-2008, 04:59 PM
6-1 Toronto...You heard it here FIRST haha;):D

gtaguy
07-17-2008, 05:29 PM
tight game till the second where ibe will show his form and put two in for us.. Hes our only hope thus far... would love to see jarrod put another one in.. he always looks good out there.. its time before he nets one...

jloome
07-17-2008, 05:38 PM

what then?

Yeah, except a month ago when I and numerous others here were telling you that Ricketts is a killer player, you and bhoybobby were shitting all over him. So should we have listened to you then, or now?

Really, dude, assess the fucking situation. Don't just look for easy answers and individuals to blame for problems that are a) endemic to young teams coming into the league and b) still resolveable. If someone had told me we'd be a .500 team at the all-star break two months ago, I'd have been pretty darn happy.