PDA

View Full Version : TFC 2013 general player moves/speculation/etc.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35

BuSaPuNk
08-13-2013, 10:09 PM
This post was on page 10 of this thread. Hard to believe +200 pages later it finally seems like it is a sure thing! lol.

Just the reason I won't believe it until I see him with a jersey on.

tfcleeds
08-13-2013, 10:14 PM
Would be so like TFC if after all this, he turns out to be a dud.

Blizzard
08-13-2013, 10:15 PM
From what I understand, it won't be considered or seen as a transfer fee, thus will not reflect the player's salary. This amount (whatever it is) will be considered a settlement in order for NOB to not prolong this matter and turn it into a lengthy lawsuit.

Sounds logical!

ArmenJBX
08-13-2013, 10:32 PM
The fact that this deal didn't die back in May says something about the likelihood of it being completed. Toronto never gave up, and good on them. I hope Urruti is a success here.

TFC Kevin
08-13-2013, 11:28 PM
I won't get excited until he plays a game in a TFC jersey. After all, I learned that lesson the hard way when CP3 didn't end up being a Laker.

khso11
08-14-2013, 03:11 AM
If everything comes together (which it should), this will be a great signing. Too happy that he's in Toronto now!!! Hopefully we get to see him in the Columbus game.

Burning Red
08-14-2013, 03:24 AM
Only our wee club would get dragged through this, typical TFC luck. Without a doubt this is the strangest transfer saga I have ever followed in all my years watching footie. I have never heard of a training camp deal being part of a transfer ever. On one side we have the two clubs embroiled in a semi-legal battle over a disputed player's status and on the other side of the same coin the two clubs are trying to cross promote and form some sort of working relationship by hosting a co-training event... WTF? I hope we hear the whole story one day... On the other side of things, I think that if all of this mess turns out and Urruti is a dynamite player, this saga and the fact that we got him could be a fairly major turning point in club history. And now we get to move on to the next player type dude next week! Yay!

19Barrett19
08-14-2013, 06:57 AM
I say next year keep weadaman get rid of braun and give keov brauns salary. We should be in a wicked position to do damage to other teams next season

Damien
08-14-2013, 07:19 AM
I say next year keep weadaman get rid of braun and give keov brauns salary. We should be in a wicked position to do damage to other teams next season

No chance in hell that Koev's accepts a low salary.
He'll either head back to Holland and play out his twilight with a dutch team or he'll retire.

Haddy
08-14-2013, 07:27 AM
Following up on an earlier Franco di Santo rumour...

Seems he's close to a four year deal with Werder Bremen.

http://www.bild.de/sport/fussball/werder-bremen/werder-will-argentinien-stuermer-franco-31819336.bild.html

Areathrasher
08-14-2013, 07:39 AM
Following up on an earlier Franco di Santo rumour...

Seems he's close to a four year deal with Werder Bremen.

http://www.bild.de/sport/fussball/werder-bremen/werder-will-argentinien-stuermer-franco-31819336.bild.html

Dunne Deal

http://www.101greatgoals.com/wp-content/gallery/gimages/disantoblitzdonner630neu.jpg

BuSaPuNk
08-14-2013, 07:55 AM
Well let's hope for all our sanity this deal gets done today. It would be nice to finally get this soap opera over with. Now is like to know who this other signing is that is coming next week that Payne keeps talking about.

I'm thinking there could be a good chance he surprises us with a major DP as all the attention and focus of the media and fanbase has been Urutti. Plus there have been no real rumblings an they were very vocal about Urutti.

Derko
08-14-2013, 07:57 AM
He'll either head back to Holland and play out his twilight with a dutch team or he'll retire.

True, but trying to negotiate a lower salary is the sensible thing to do, much like Darren O'Dea, if not go for another option. If Koev's had not got that terrible injury last year, but you know how it goes.

Hoping for him to come back into form, but I feel it may be a miracle.

Phil
08-14-2013, 08:04 AM
^^^ Torsten nabbed him!

Its on their site, 4 year deal is done.

http://www.werder.de/en/aktuell/news/45932.php

Haddy
08-14-2013, 08:05 AM
I'm thinking there could be a good chance he surprises us with a major DP

It's going to be the player KP mentioned would join in January. My money is on them announcing the pre-contract.

So yes, it will be a major DP "to help shape the club for years to come". How big of a name is anyone's guess.

Wince
08-14-2013, 08:30 AM
Now is like to know who this other signing is that is coming next week that Payne keeps talking about.

Given the speed the Urrutti thing is taking place, "next week" could end up being next MONTH! Hope not though. I'd like to see this team have some real teeth towards the end of the season. Playoffs ain't happening for us, but I'd love to ruin someone else's chance by not being a cake-walk.

Oldtimer
08-14-2013, 08:49 AM
The Urrutti saga is incredible. I guess the court involvement was probably because there was a legal question as to whether Urrutti could void his contract over unpaid wages. Props to the MLS FO and to ML$E for very hard work to get this done (and if Cochrane was somehow involved (maybe getting KP coffee or photocopying) without messing things up :rolleyes5: I'll even give props to him).

ensco
08-14-2013, 08:59 AM
I don't really understand the amount of energy the TFC FO has spent and is spending on this. The opportunity cost, the time not spent on findiing other players, is immense. The biggest window of the year was a big fizzle for us.

Is this really the only fish in the ocean?

Oldtimer
08-14-2013, 09:02 AM
I don't really understand the amount of energy the TFC FO has spent and is spending on this. The opportunity cost, the time not spent on findiing other players, is immense. The biggest window of the year was a big fizzle for us.

I'm pretty sure they didn't expect what happened, ensco. How could they? At least KP salvaged something out of a situation that few managers would have been able to, especially in MLS. The strong league connections that KP and TL have probably helped immensely,

Phil
08-14-2013, 09:06 AM

They chased a lot of other players. This was one they scouted and hoped for but from what I hear plenty of energy was spent on looking at and attempting moves on others.

miker
08-14-2013, 09:07 AM

I get the impression not a lot of the window was spent on Urruti because he only became available again very recently - just before the window closed. As for other players, I think they were trying hard to get them, but they failed.

The jury is still out on this period. We don't know whether Rey or Elmer will be useful players. We still need to see if Payne et al were correct in thinking Urruti has big potential in MLS. And we don't know who the about-to-be-signed DP is ... IF we even get him.

bones
08-14-2013, 09:12 AM
You're not a true F5 warrior.
(NOBODY DARE STEAL MY TSHIRT IDEA!!!)

http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/attachment.php?attachmentid=3220&d=1376489438

T-boy
08-14-2013, 09:13 AM
I just hope that the expectations IF we sign Urruti are appropriate. I think we need to give him to at least the start of the 2014 season to bed into a new league, team, lifestyle etc. I hope he's not chased out of town by people who think he will be the instant new hero.

Canary10
08-14-2013, 09:15 AM
I just hope that the expectations IF we sign Urruti are appropriate. I think we need to give him to at least the start of the 2014 season to bed into a new league, team, lifestyle etc. I hope he's not chased out of town by people who think he will be the instant new hero.

Yup. This post should be tattooed to the forearms of all TFC fans.

prizby
08-14-2013, 09:15 AM

think he's settled here; also can be eligibile to become a domestic next summer

denime
08-14-2013, 09:22 AM
think he's settled here; also can be eligibile to become a domestic next summer

To become domestic? How, by what rules?

Areathrasher
08-14-2013, 09:28 AM
Could be eligable for PR next summer as he would have been here 3 years.

KGH
08-14-2013, 09:29 AM

Permanent CDN resident.

Yohan
08-14-2013, 09:29 AM

If koev gets permanent residency

prizby
08-14-2013, 09:34 AM

he'll have lived in the country for 3 years; meaning he can apply to become a permanent resident, which would then, under MLS rules, count him as a domestic player, not an international.

I believe Richard Eckersley has already started going through this process

mowe
08-14-2013, 09:36 AM
No way Koev is back next year, he'll be 35 years old with a recent history of injuries. Payne will save that DP spot for someone else.

prizby
08-14-2013, 09:37 AM
No way Koev is back next year, he'll be 35 years old with a recent history of injuries. Payne will save that DP spot for someone else.

you don't think he'd take a non-dp salary?

denMAR
08-14-2013, 09:37 AM
If koev gets permanent residency

..and also depends whether Koev's and the family want to stay in Canada or not.

ensco
08-14-2013, 09:40 AM
They chased a lot of other players. This was one they scouted and hoped for but from what I hear plenty of energy was spent on looking at and attempting moves on others.

I'm sure they are saying this. Question is whether to believe it. I don't know.

Derko
08-14-2013, 09:44 AM
he'll have lived in the country for 3 years; meaning he can apply to become a permanent resident, which would then, under MLS rules, count him as a domestic player, not an international.

I believe Richard Eckersley has already started going through this process

Could be the first step, in the negotiation process to a somewhat reduced salary? Hopefully

BuSaPuNk
08-14-2013, 09:45 AM
It's going to be the player KP mentioned would join in January. My money is on them announcing the pre-contract.

So yes, it will be a major DP "to help shape the club for years to come". How big of a name is anyone's guess.

Hope so. Just after the Forlan deal died it seems that there are really no big name DP targets that have really been linked to us that would seem like a deal they could get done next week.

Given the speed the Urrutti thing is taking place, "next week" could end up being next MONTH! Hope not though. I'd like to see this team have some real teeth towards the end of the season. Playoffs ain't happening for us, but I'd love to ruin someone else's chance by not being a cake-walk.

I'm not banking on it getting done next week. Expecting more of the same next week, next week rhetoric. I hope not but time will tell. I'd like to be able to have all our major pieces in place going into next preseason.

PopePouri
08-14-2013, 09:46 AM
They may take a non-DP salary for a year and then offer him a role with the club. Who knows how much he has left in the tank and if Koev can let go of the game.

Phil
08-14-2013, 09:49 AM

They were pretty open about their efforts, maybe too open. Nelsen made trips, Payne made trips (that were not reported on here) as well, the name list that I heard was all over the map. There were days where my wikipedia skills were put to the test.

Not much point dwelling in it now though. They seem to have got the guy they have targeted for some time and are planning on what future moves to make. Not a big fan of dumping Silva when they did but the rest of the summer moves seemed to have cleared the deck pretty well.

Suds
08-14-2013, 09:49 AM

Yep.

Sure, there was a lot of chatter on here and other sites about the saga that has taken place but that should not raise or lower expectations of what they player will bring to the team. Sometimes a process takes a lot longer than anticipated. This does not necessarily mean the player is worth more or better. It just means there are unexpected hurdles to deal with.

miker
08-14-2013, 09:53 AM

It's hard to know because they won't name names, but - as one example - there were stories in the foreign press about TFC reaching a transfer deal with Maxi Moralez's club, only to have Maxi shoot it down because he didn't want to come here. Also, they were definitely going after Forlan. Either would have made a solid DP.

Perhaps the greater concern is that, even after clearing space and throwing big money around, they failed to get the guys they went after. But those details aren't known.

mowe
08-14-2013, 09:55 AM
you don't think he'd take a non-dp salary?

Nope. Asking someone to go from $1.6 million to 200k is unrealistic. He can get more than that in Europe, which is where I think he'll end up.

ensco
08-14-2013, 09:58 AM
It's hard not to conclude that they didn't spend their time very well over the last four months, however many players they pursued.

Canary10
08-14-2013, 10:02 AM
Good news is, from the pics of training today, it appears Urruti isn't wearing a manband. Hopefully isn't the second coming of Lombardo.

Phil
08-14-2013, 10:02 AM
It's hard not to conclude that they didn't spend their time very well over the last four months, however many players they pursued.

This is true. Its another learning curve that we endured and management has experienced. Maybe this is why other management teams didn't delve into the South American markets?

tfcmanu
08-14-2013, 10:03 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BRox9iXCYAEnl_M.jpg:large

PopePouri
08-14-2013, 10:06 AM
This is true. Its another learning curve that we endured and management has experienced. Maybe this is why other management teams didn't delve into the South American markets?

He's probably an exception based on the amount of SA players in MLS.

Detroit_TFC
08-14-2013, 10:07 AM
Not enough product in his hair, obviously he's not match fit.

For the humor-impaired, that was a joke.

Canary10
08-14-2013, 10:08 AM
Not enough product in his hair, obviously he's not match fit.

For the humor-impaired, that was a joke.

Maybe he's just humble? Oh wait, look at the boots.

prizby
08-14-2013, 10:18 AM
Nope. Asking someone to go from $1.6 million to 200k is unrealistic. He can get more than that in Europe, which is where I think he'll end up.

he's settled in canada; do you think he wants to move his family (in the middle of a school year) to somewhere in Europe;

it is not as drastic, but Columbus' Schelotto went from $775,000 in 2009 to $240,000 in 2010

Sharlie Joseph just went from $600,000 at the beginning of the year to $100,000 now

Claudio Lopez went from $820,000 in 2008 to $180,000 in 2009 to $120,000 in 2010

Morlesio14
08-14-2013, 10:23 AM

The face of Ozil

mattsoks
08-14-2013, 10:24 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/543408_10151525536426805_560053188_n.jpg

miker
08-14-2013, 10:26 AM
Sorry for the off-topic question, but is it possible to see much of the TFC facilities at Downsview? Are there ever practices or events the public can watch? I live close to it but have never ventured over.

mowe
08-14-2013, 10:34 AM
he's settled in canada; do you think he wants to move his family (in the middle of a school year) to somewhere in Europe;

He doesn't have to move them right away, O'Dea's family is still here in Toronto. And this somewhere in Europe could very well be his home country of Netherlands.

I just can't see Koef being in Payne's plans. Let's not forget he's scored exactly zero goals all year. Unless he goes on a tear when he comes back (whenever that is) we're better off continuing to target younger players that can grow with the team.

markie8002000
08-14-2013, 10:43 AM
Molinaro : Expect Urruti to be signed by Thursday. Until he's signed, he won't be made available to media

Larson : Up at the Kia ground. Urruti in training. Told club is hoping to finalize things by tomorrow

Joe Kool
08-14-2013, 10:52 AM
Hope Urruti is quick. He looks like he has a pretty thin frame. Everyone says MLS is more physical so I assume you have to be pretty strong otherwise you need to be quick enough to stay one step ahead of the big CB's to succeed.

Red I
08-14-2013, 11:01 AM
Hope Urruti is quick. He looks like he has a pretty thin frame. Everyone says MLS is more physical so I assume you have to be pretty strong otherwise you need to be quick enough to stay one step ahead of the big CB's to succeed.

Laba seems to intimate in his interviews that the Argentinian league is actually a physical league as well. if Urruti can perform there, like Laba, he hopefully should handle the style of play here, and the type of defence you see here

OgtheDim
08-14-2013, 11:20 AM
Somebody buy Nelsen a better razor...he's been doing the stubble look a lot lately.

And get one to Urruti too.

Apart from that, until he holds up the shirt......

burlington Red
08-14-2013, 11:26 AM

In fairness to management, we are a tough sell. Worst team in MLS consistently, never reaching play off's, numerous different managers, huge player turn over, dwindling fan base.
We as fans can start to see the foundations being laid for hopefully a brighter, sustainable future, but as I have mentioned in other posts, trying to attract big names half way through a season to one of the MLS bottom clubs, and with world cup looming next year is a tough sell.
I don't know what the club have been doing behind the scenes but a few of the other lads on here in the know, seem to think they have been very active.

TFC07
08-14-2013, 11:30 AM
In fairness to management, we are a tough sell. Worst team in MLS consistently, never reaching play off's, numerous different managers, huge player turn over, dwindling fan base.
We as fans can start to see the foundations being laid for hopefully a brighter, sustainable future, but as I have mentioned in other posts, trying to attract big names half way through a season to one of the MLS bottom clubs, and with world cup looming next year is a tough sell.
I don't know what the club have been doing behind the scenes but a few of the other lads on here in the know, seem to think they have been very active.

Like players outside of NA care about playoffs. lol

MLS is a tough sell in general when comes to acquiring players in bigger soccer countries. MLS is viewed as a retirement league or a league where players who don't have much upside go to make more money than their native countries.

I hate to say this, but MLS isn't viewed any differently than rich middle eastern leagues/clubs or Asia. MLS is only known for making money where you can't make money anywhere else and/or to settle down and raise your family. Standings, playoffs etc. don't matter for majority of international players.

Milanista
08-14-2013, 11:35 AM
He doesn't have to move them right away, O'Dea's family is still here in Toronto. And this somewhere in Europe could very well be his home country of Netherlands.

I just can't see Koef being in Payne's plans. Let's not forget he's scored exactly zero goals all year. Unless he goes on a tear when he comes back (whenever that is) we're better off continuing to target younger players that can grow with the team.

No wat Koef is on this team next yr, no point.

Red I
08-14-2013, 11:40 AM

If there is anything that this year has taught the team, it's that depth at finishing is never a bad thing; who would you rather come off the bench, or start a CCL game?

Ultra & Proud
08-14-2013, 11:41 AM

If he takes a pay cut then I would take him for sure.

prizby
08-14-2013, 11:43 AM

O'Dea isn't exactly nearing retirement age

maybe he's not in Payne's plans, but that doesn't dismiss my original comment, that he'd take a non dp salary

ensco
08-14-2013, 11:50 AM

This is just wrong. Lots of players come to bad teams in MLS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Major_League_Soccer_transfers_2013

The problem is that our mgmt is trying to invent a new way of doing things. Something that I personally have become very tired of around here.

Abou Sky
08-14-2013, 11:53 AM
If he takes a pay cut then I would take him for sure.

But how much? $150-$200k? Would he take it?

It couldn't be much more really.

Ultra & Proud
08-14-2013, 12:03 PM
But how much? $150-$200k? Would he take it?

It couldn't be much more really.
Maybe $200 to $225 but that's about it. After this succession of injuries he has become a fairly substantial risk.

backbeat
08-14-2013, 12:10 PM
Maybe $200 to $225 but that's about it. After this succession of injuries he has become a fairly substantial risk.

and if he gets his PR status....as well he may feel he owes as he has been collecting without adding to the team - he seems to have that kind of integrity and i think he would like to be remembered here - he did mention about wanting his name on the wall.

jloome
08-14-2013, 12:18 PM

The problem is that our mgmt is trying to invent a new way of doing things. Something that I personally have become very tired of around here.

Payne looks very mls 1996 so far
My bet is he sold silva because Napoli had accepted the morales offer.
They said silva wouldn't get playing time making it sound as if they were certain they had an AM coming in.without buying the silvA hype, it looks like Payne fucked up big time.
this DP in January better be something

Ultra & Proud
08-14-2013, 12:18 PM
and if he gets his PR status....as well he may feel he owes as he has been collecting without adding to the team - he seems to have that kind of integrity and i think he would like to be remembered here - he did mention about wanting his name on the wall.
Plus if he wants his family brought up here then a possible academy coaching position could open. We seem to have countless spots.

Ultra & Proud
08-14-2013, 12:19 PM
They said silva wouldn't get playing time making it sound as if they were certain they had an AM coming in.without buying the silvA hype, it looks like Payne fucked up big time.

If we're talking AM spot then Silva shouldn't start ahead of Osorio either. At forward I'm not sure he goes over Earnshaw. Urruti for sure starts.

miker
08-14-2013, 12:27 PM
If we're talking AM spot then Silva shouldn't start ahead of Osorio either. At forward I'm not sure he goes over Earnshaw. Urruti for sure starts.

Whatever one thinks of him aside, the Silva deal was sold as part one of a two-part move .... and the second move never came. So by Payne's logic, it was a flop.

Damien
08-14-2013, 12:30 PM
Osorio > Silva

Haddy
08-14-2013, 12:33 PM

Two expiring contracts...Ronaldinho (mentioned weeks ago) and Landon Donovan.
I mention Landycakes because LA has yet to fill the DP slot left void by Becks. Surely they'll go for someone big. At the same time, Donovan will definitely be eyeing Dempsey's salary or something closer to that range. Is LA willing to go nuts with two contracts that big? Or is it time for them to move on?

Phil
08-14-2013, 12:33 PM
I mention Landycakes because LA has yet to fill the DP slot left void by Becks. Surely they'll go for someone big. At the same time, Donovan will definitely be eyeing Dempsey's salary or something closer to that range. Is LA willing to go nuts with two contracts that big? Or is it time for them to move on?

Gonzalez is taking the DP spot on LA from what I have heard.

backbeat
08-14-2013, 12:35 PM

i don't think so at all.

Payne's done a great 2013 reality check/job righting the salary cap ship and is now adding pieces - i agree that there was probably a part 2 to the silva deal that didn't happen but that's football, it happens in the biggest leagues around the world.

we'll see who is added in the next week and through the January window going into next season - that will tell a much clearer tale me thinks.

Red I
08-14-2013, 12:35 PM

I agree, I think Osorio was above Silva on the depth chart anyways, and they were probably deadset on at least bringing in reinforcements at the forward spot, so Silva was expendable. For whatever reason, he could not really contribute in Nelsen's set up for him as a drop forward. Maybe having Hall behind him most nights, and not getting many games in front of Laba hampered his chances.

In any case, if Urruti comes in, i think he becomes depth. Might as well get allocation for depth, no?

moralis
08-14-2013, 12:37 PM
Kevin Payne said one signing this week - Maxi Urruti. He also said another signing presumably an attacking midfielder would happen within the next two weeks.

I'm guessing that will happen after Brockie leaves because TFC are now at 10 international roster spots with Urruti.

OgtheDim
08-14-2013, 12:39 PM
As we don't know

a) what we got for Silva

b) who was at what stage that caused Silva to be considered expendable

c) what caused said who from point b to not come here

its all speculation anyways.

Which is what we do around here when we are not suggesting people stake out hotels and arguing about twitter trolls. :pbjtime:

Red I
08-14-2013, 12:43 PM
Kevin Payne said one signing this week - Maxi Urruti. He also said another signing presumably an attacking midfielder would happen within the next two weeks.

I'm guessing that will happen after Brockie leaves because TFC are now at 10 international roster spots with Urruti.

A recent interview said he had 2 International spots, but can't recall if that was before or after Elmer. It's good point though, maybe delays any decision until his recall

burlington Red
08-14-2013, 12:49 PM

I wasn't talking about other MLS teams, I was talking about TFC right now in this current transfer window. I am referring to us trying to get the marquee player that management have been hinting at. We are a tough sell to any so called big name esp with world cup looming, Not saying it cannot be done or it hasn't been done elsewhere.

backbeat
08-14-2013, 12:51 PM
A recent interview said he had 2 International spots, but can't recall if that was before or after Elmer. It's good point though, maybe delays any decision until his recall

i think they have other options to free up international spots

69Chevy396
08-14-2013, 12:54 PM
My god, Dave Keon has returned!

brad
08-14-2013, 12:56 PM

I'd be shocked if Landon stays in the MLS. I bet he goes overseas (my money would be on a return to Everton) in the January window. Unless the MLS offers him Dempsy levels of money.

miker
08-14-2013, 12:57 PM
My god, Dave Keon has returned!

Hope he still has the backhand!

burlington Red
08-14-2013, 01:14 PM
I'd be shocked if Landon stays in the MLS. I bet he goes overseas (my money would be on a return to Everton) in the January window. Unless the MLS offers him Dempsy levels of money.

Different manager now at Everton than the one who orignally brought him over on loan though.

MartinUtd
08-14-2013, 01:21 PM
Jermaine Jones wants to come back to MLS

https://twitter.com/ussoccer/status/367338113342767105

Not that I think he'd sign with us.

trane
08-14-2013, 01:26 PM

That is exactly what I was thinking. He looks like he would loss his footing the moment a cb leans a shoulder into him, not a great feature for a Center Forward. Hopefully his game is speed.

TFC1154ever
08-14-2013, 01:31 PM
Didn't Payne say something about getting another player on loan from Argentina Juniors about a month ago? Something to do with the laba deal, and that he had his choice of a few players?

Pint
08-14-2013, 01:34 PM
Didn't Payne say something about getting another player on loan from Argentina Juniors about a month ago? Something to do with the laba deal, and that he had his choice of a few players?

He said that a while ago and also said he can do that now or in January. It depends on the players we brought in whether we did it now or January, so I think the Rey deal made him push it to January but that is just my opinion.

ag futbol
08-14-2013, 01:39 PM
Who is number 16 in that picture... don't immediately recognize him although I assume it's someone who has been around the team for a while.

Blizzard
08-14-2013, 01:42 PM

Yup. In fact, Bob DeKlerk had scouted and recommended Urruti months before the turnover in management. He obviously rated him as a good prospect. (Current management doesn't like to mention this though.)

:hide::hide::hide:

Blizzard
08-14-2013, 01:43 PM
If only he was Dave Keon! I'm sure management will treat him better than they did Davey.

Ultra & Proud
08-14-2013, 01:44 PM
Who is number 16 in that picture... don't immediately recognize him although I assume it's someone who has been around the team for a while.
Russell isn't it?

Ultra & Proud
08-14-2013, 01:49 PM
That is exactly what I was thinking. He looks like he would loss his footing the moment a cb leans a shoulder into him, not a great feature for a Center Forward. Hopefully his game is speed.

Thought I heard that he liked to float behind the striker. If so, he would be fine and would essentially be filling the spot Silva would have been in had he still been here.

miker
08-14-2013, 02:01 PM
Thought I heard that he liked to float behind the striker. If so, he would be fine and would essentially be filling the spot Silva would have been in had he still been here.

I heard that, too, re Urruti's positioning.

ag futbol
08-14-2013, 02:08 PM
Russell isn't it?
Oh shit, yep that's him!

Regarding where Urruti plays: I was under the impression it's behind the striker, or he can be one of those hybrids that plays by himself up top. Picturing it sort of like the way that Roberto Soldado played for Spain in the confederations cup...

Game plan might be for him to line up against MLS's strong but slow and lumbering CB's and try to make smart runs in behind that leave them flat footed.

NolbertoS
08-14-2013, 02:19 PM
So any news on who that other DP, Payne is looking at in 2 weeks?? I doubt its the marquee name they're looking for. I'd say wait after the World Cup. I'm sure there will bargains and players to interview and sign. In the meantime, can't wait to see Urruti in an Official TFC game. I saw a couple of Copa Libertadores matched of NOB and saw that Urutti played pretty good. If he can handle the hacks of Brasilian teams, he'll do fine in MLS. Keep in mind that most South American leagues are physical, but not hockeyesque like MLS. If Camilo of the Whitecaps could adjust to the physical play now, instead of diving in the past, I'm sure Urruti will do the same :)

brad
08-14-2013, 02:21 PM
Different manager now at Everton than the one who orignally brought him over on loan though.

For sure, and he is older. Still think he will end up there despite of this.

brad
08-14-2013, 02:24 PM

If his size is an issue, that can be addressed in the off season. Plenty of time to start bulking him up (just hope its not the Colin Samuel plan).

Phil
08-14-2013, 02:36 PM
Yup. In fact, Bob DeKlerk had scouted and recommended Urruti months before the turnover in management. He obviously rated him as a good prospect. (Current management doesn't like to mention this though.)

:hide::hide::hide:

Osario was one of those too no? ;)

ag futbol
08-14-2013, 02:47 PM
So any news on who that other DP, Payne is looking at in 2 weeks?? I doubt its the marquee name they're looking for. I'd say wait after the World Cup. I'm sure there will bargains and players to interview and sign. In the meantime, can't wait to see Urruti in an Official TFC game. I saw a couple of Copa Libertadores matched of NOB and saw that Urutti played pretty good. If he can handle the hacks of Brasilian teams, he'll do fine in MLS. Keep in mind that most South American leagues are physical, but not hockeyesque like MLS. If Camilo of the Whitecaps could adjust to the physical play now, instead of diving in the past, I'm sure Urruti will do the same :)
Agreed.

It's worth keeping in mind too that a lot of MLS players get away with being overly physical because the attackers aren't all that skillful. Starting to see more guys in this league who can make undisciplined physical defenders look stupid, which changes how much physicality can actually come into play.

Marc"2L"
08-14-2013, 02:54 PM
Really curious to see what the pay situation is going to be like.
Young DP?

trane
08-14-2013, 02:59 PM

In that case, he should be ok.

ensco
08-14-2013, 03:32 PM
i don't think so at all.

Payne's done a great 2013 reality check/job righting the salary cap ship and is now adding pieces - i agree that there was probably a part 2 to the silva deal that didn't happen but that's football, it happens in the biggest leagues around the world.

we'll see who is added in the next week and through the January window going into next season - that will tell a much clearer tale me thinks.

OK give us an example of a team moving one of its significant young assets in anticipation of a move that didn't happen

btw the argument about Osorio vs Silva is irrelevant. If you move Silva for another young domestic asset, fine. But that's not what allocation is used to acquire.

Greatest Ripoff
08-14-2013, 03:38 PM
OK give us an example of a team moving one of its significant young assets in anticipation of a move that didn't happen

btw the argument about Osorio vs Silva is irrelevant. If you move Silva for another young domestic asset, fine. But that's not what allocation is used to acquire.

Silva is almost 25, he is not young.

Ultra & Proud
08-14-2013, 03:46 PM

What move that didn't happen? Osorio usurped Silva from the AM role. No way Silva would be an AM here so he'd have to be a forward. His best forward position is to float behind the striker. Urruti will be doing that and he has more upside and already a better strike rate per minutes played in a better league.

So yeah, I say the move to replace Silva happened. His extra allocation may bring someone else later or may have already helped with Elmer and Rey.

Ivy
08-14-2013, 03:46 PM
And was quickly drifting away from the asset category.

Couchy81
08-14-2013, 03:55 PM
I don't think anyone think Silva isn't worth having on your team, but it's clear that he would have been bumped down the ladder with Osorio shining bright and Urruti's potential on the horizon. We might have made the move in order for something else that didn't pan out, but he would have been a 25 y/o on the bench behind two younger players.

Macksam
08-14-2013, 04:07 PM

Looks can be deceiving. Angel Di Maria looks like a tooth pick but he's got the best upper body strength in the game next to Yaya Toure.

notthesun
08-14-2013, 04:21 PM
What move that didn't happen? Osorio usurped Silva from the AM role. No way Silva would be an AM here so he'd have to be a forward. His best forward position is to float behind the striker. Urruti will be doing that and he has more upside and already a better strike rate per minutes played in a better league.

So yeah, I say the move to replace Silva happened. His extra allocation may bring someone else later or may have already helped with Elmer and Rey.

My thinking exactly. Although I wish we had gotten Urruti far sooner after the Silva trade.

Can't even begin to understand how Osorio taking Silva's spot in the lineup is irrelevant... Silva would still be with us if that didn't happen.

69Chevy396
08-14-2013, 04:25 PM
I said I wouldn't wade in re Silva, but it is simply too early to give Osario the torch, and there remains a distinct possibility that under a new manager, playing forward regularly, and with renewed confidence, Silva could be better than Osario and Urruti within a year.

Ultra & Proud
08-14-2013, 04:39 PM
I said I wouldn't wade in re Silva, but it is simply too early to give Osario the torch, and there remains a distinct possibility that under a new manager, playing forward regularly, and with renewed confidence, Silva could be better than Osario and Urruti within a year.
Could is the key. Right now Silva is not.

69Chevy396
08-14-2013, 05:29 PM
That may be true. Both Osorio and Silva are playing on mediocre teams and neither will be facing the pressure to win that playoff teams experience. The test will come next season. I remember when Dunivant, Cronin, etc were dumped for similar reasons and look how that turned out for us.

OgtheDim
08-14-2013, 06:09 PM
Silva is all coulda woulda shoulda.....

I'm more wondering who the heck KP is going to get for January.

69Chevy396
08-14-2013, 06:20 PM
Silva is all coulda woulda shoulda.....

I'm more wondering who the heck KP is going to get for January.
I doubt he will announce anything prior to ticket renewal. He still has to deal with the crumbling fan base and find ways at rebuilding this inthe remainder of this horrible season.

Blizzard
08-14-2013, 06:21 PM
Osario was one of those too no? ;)

I do believe so! :)

jloome
08-14-2013, 06:36 PM

I think you missed my initial point; whether Silva was good enough to work here or not (long run, I'm not convinced), Payne said he HAD to move him to make way. Then that deal obviously fell through, since we haven't signed a midfielder or AM. No one thinks they were comparing Silva to strikers, do they? So obviously they jumped the gun.

Whether it turns out to be the right decision isn't my point; my point is that Payne doesn't look particularly competent right now.

jloome
08-14-2013, 06:37 PM

Exactly. This was "we need the money now to sign someone now" and, most importantly, both Nelsen and Payne said Silva wouldn't be seeing much playing time because of people they were bringing in.

notthesun
08-14-2013, 06:57 PM
No one thinks they were comparing Silva to strikers, do they? So obviously they jumped the gun.

Why, is that not possible? Silva played CF a number of times when Nelsen was using the 4-4-1-1. With Osorio usurping Silva at CM/CAM, Silva being ineffective at wide mid, and him having success in a more advanced role under Mariner last year, I don't see why he couldn't also be compared with our attacking options.

I see what you mean re: the way Payne presented the Silva trade and how the reaction was supposedly going to be swift. But no harm no foul in the end, because with Urruti on this team Silva would be on the bench every game even without that extra signing. Payne could've had multiple signings in mind when he was talking about that trade; because whether we signed Urruti, or whoever we could've signed during the window, or whoever we're supposed to sign next week, or a combination of any of those, Silva wouldn't be playing in any case.

ag futbol
08-14-2013, 07:00 PM
Exactly. This was "we need the money now to sign someone now" and, most importantly, both Nelsen and Payne said Silva wouldn't be seeing much playing time because of people they were bringing in.
Public comments from management meant for public consumption. Remember: they praised Dunfield all the way up until the point that they cut him, towed the line on Califf even though it was clear they didn't like something about him. These guys aren't in the business of telling us what they really think.

As far as I could see, it didn't look like Silva was striving here or fit into the system. He never put in the work defensively to justify playing in the mid and was never consistent enough going forward to merit building around. Today, or sometime down the road he was inevitably going to be replaced by someone better. Selling wasn't a bad call in the slightest; better than letting him stay here and lose trade value.

Nice little run at DC aside, let's see him sustain a decent level of performance / motivation over the long run.

WestStandGeoff
08-14-2013, 07:07 PM
I doubt he will announce anything prior to ticket renewal. He still has to deal with the crumbling fan base and find ways at rebuilding this inthe remainder of this horrible season.

Well, my ticket rep emailed me this week to confirm my contact details in preparation for the renewal drive, so it seems that's not so far off...

Couchy81
08-14-2013, 07:27 PM
well based on nelsen's latest interview here: http://www.torontofc.ca/video/2013/08/14/ryan-nelsen-august-14-2013

he just used the pairing young with old strategy,

compared Henry playing with Caldwell
compared Urruti playing with Koevermans and Earnshaw
compared Osorio and Laba playing with ______

Which looks to me Silva was moved to make room for a DP midfielder no question. We will see next week I guess.

cochrdoc
08-14-2013, 08:08 PM
A lot of the talk has been about bringing in attacking players and with the transfer window over ,I wonder if Rey and Urruti will improve this area.Also with O`Dea gone ,I wonder if our defence is going to be a problem again after the mistakes that were made last game.We seem to improve in some areas and get exposed in others

wzhxvy
08-14-2013, 08:13 PM
I would not be shocked if we end up with Landon Donovan. MLS will want to pay him and who better to fund their generosity than MLSE and TFC. It will allow LA to bring in new names that garner more attention/exposure.

TFC07
08-14-2013, 08:35 PM
I would not be shocked if we end up with Landon Donovan. MLS will want to pay him and who better to fund their generosity than MLSE and TFC. It will allow LA to bring in new names that garner more attention/exposure.

No way that will happen. Donovan will play for American MLS team if MLS is trying to keep him in the league since he's more marketable in American city than Toronto (Toronto and Montreal are last places you will see a big name American player playing for). TFC is going international for their DP! I believe Forlan is the guy TFC will try to sign next year after world cup.

denime
08-14-2013, 08:48 PM
Laba seems to intimate in his interviews that the Argentinian league is actually a physical league as well. if Urruti can perform there, like Laba, he hopefully should handle the style of play here, and the type of defence you see here

MLS is not physical league,it is RECKLESS League and that is a huge difference between MLS and any other league across the world.
In no other league players are so reckless as in MLS and referees are not helping at all.

ensco
08-14-2013, 09:25 PM
I can't believe some of the "arguments" people are making. There are pages of nonsense here.

There are two separate points to be argued.

First, it doesn't matter whether Silva will turn out to be good in the long run, or is worse than Osorio. Silva had value in the marketplace. Payne chose to trade that value not like-for-like, but for something different (better ability to sign an international), and while nobody can evaluate the move in total yet, it reeks of TFC 1.0 so far - undervaluing domestic assets, making trades for the short term (the point isn't that Silva isn't young, it's that he may be a serviceable MLS domestic for many years, something that is hard to find), and gambling on internationals with big question marks.

Second, the inability to sign the player(s) that the TFC FO identified is a separate matter, and also not good, so far.

The flip side is that it's too early to say. Building is a lot harder than burning. But that's a thin reed. This has been a bad start.

DaBandit
08-14-2013, 09:42 PM
No way that will happen. Donovan will play for American MLS team if MLS is trying to keep him in the league since he's more marketable in American city than Toronto (Toronto and Montreal are last places you will see a big name American player playing for). TFC is going international for their DP! I believe Forlan is the guy TFC will try to sign next year after world cup.

I agree with your Donovan thought, no way he ends up here for the exact same reason as Dempsey is in Seattle, he's better for the league in a US market. Any chance he goes to NY? Not sure if they have 3 DP's or not..

Ultra & Proud
08-14-2013, 09:47 PM
making trades for the short term (the point isn't that Silva isn't young, it's that he may be a serviceable MLS domestic for many years
But some may say, international status aside, that getting Rey, Elmer, and Urruti is long term planning as they are all young and in the case of Urruti, who will be playing in the position best suited to Silva, is that he is younger, with a bigger upside, and who has already been involved in more meaningful play in better competitions. To me that is like for like minus the domestic status. Now if we got Forlan or Kaka or another older player like Drogba then that would be short term movement but Payne chose young players to build around who have some upside and that is TFC version never.

backbeat
08-14-2013, 09:49 PM
I can't believe some of the "arguments" people are making. There are pages of nonsense here.

There are two separate points to be argued.

First, it doesn't matter whether Silva will turn out to be good in the long run, or is worse than Osorio. Silva had value in the marketplace. Payne chose to trade that value not like-for-like, but for something different (better ability to sign an international), and while nobody can evaluate the move in total yet, it reeks of TFC 1.0 so far - undervaluing domestic assets, making trades for the short term (the point isn't that Silva isn't young, it's that he may be a serviceable MLS domestic for many years, something that is hard to find), and gambling on internationals with big question marks.

Second, the inability to sign the player(s) that the TFC FO identified is a separate matter, and also not good, so far.

The flip side is that it's too early to say. But that's a thin reed. This has been a bad start.

and again i guess i say - big deal - maybe (and i don't know for sure) Payne made a mistake in that he was close to a major signing that coincided with this deal and it didn't happen - shit does happen in football - never-the-less it doesn't detract from his on-going strategy of aligning TFC's payroll/cap for a solid team foundation - competitive at all positions - and the ability to add future potential.

i wish it would happen sooner - but i do believe, for the first time in a long, long time - that we are headed in the right direction.

Again we'll see in the next week or so, as well in the January window, how we start the preseason in 2014 and subsequently the stat of the league in 2014....

the thing is i have enjoyed what i've been seeing the last many games and i do think with a few additions we would be an interesting team to watch and to watch win...

and i also saw for the first time in a long time last Saturday, an atmosphere at BMO that suggested the 2007/2008 feeling could return, and it was f'ing marvelous....

so i'll hold on a bit longer....

T-boy
08-14-2013, 09:58 PM
I don't know how any of you can argue the merits of the Silva trade without having a clue what the actual allocation we got in return was?!

If we got 500k in return that runs through 2014, then its a fantastic trade - we could get 3 players the same level of Silva in place of him! But, without knowing the money or actual value of the trade, its all a pointless discussion!

OgtheDim
08-14-2013, 10:09 PM
I don't know how any of you can argue the merits of the Silva trade without having a clue what the actual allocation we got in return was?!

The Silva transfer is a cipher for how people feel about TFC as it is currently constituted.

As are many of the posts in this thread.

It could be argued that supporters always find a cipher to engage and explain their feelings about the team.

DeRo was that, as was Winter.

Right now, the cipher is how KP does with bringing in players.

I suspect in about 12 months, this board will be spending a lot of energy on Nelsen's management skills.

Its what supporters do, all over the world. Find a lightening rod.

v00d00daddy
08-14-2013, 10:09 PM
And was quickly drifting away from the asset category.

I'm sorry but this is revisionist crap.

Did we trade him for an amount of money that was so high the club couldn't turn it down or is Silva now a garbage, surplus, no longer young player? LOL

Silva is a good player in this league. He could still be being used by TFC...even if Osorio has bumped him out of the AM role. Lord knows we can use some actually talented depth players. Even off the bench.

There are at least 10 guys on our roster that I would gladly never see again, in favour of Silva.

How can you say that a guy who scores 3 goals in his first 3 games at DCU is quickly moving towards not even being an asset in this league?

That's downright absurd. The kid is a good player. Osorio being good doesn't make Silva bad. What happens if Osorio picks up an injury, or is called up to the CMNT? Who plays in the AM role? The mystery player we don't have yet or Darren fucking Russel? LOL

T-boy
08-14-2013, 10:21 PM
The Silva transfer is a cipher for how people feel about TFC as it is currently constituted.

It could be argued that supporters always find a cipher to engage and explain their feelings about the team.

I suspect in about 12 months, this board will be spending a lot of energy on Nelsen's management skills.

Agreed, but it is rather tiring talking about stuff when you dont have the facts :(

ensco
08-14-2013, 10:42 PM

If we got 500k in return that runs through 2014, then its a fantastic trade - we could get 3 players the same level of Silva in place of him! But, without knowing the money or actual value of the trade, its all a pointless discussion!

For one year! I'm glad you aren't the GM.

I don't care if we got 500K in allocation for Dunivant or Wynne, those were awful trades.

Not knowing the quantum of the allocation is small beer. We know most of the facts. Allocation is a short term asset used to bring in internationals. The amount matters but not that much.

Ivy
08-14-2013, 10:43 PM

Did we trade him for an amount of money that was so high the club couldn't turn it down or is Silva now a garbage, surplus, no longer young player? LOL

Silva is a good player in this league. He could still be being used by TFC...even if Osorio has bumped him out of the AM role. Lord knows we can use some actually talented depth players. Even off the bench.

There are at least 10 guys on our roster that I would gladly never see again, in favour of Silva.

How can you say that a guy who scores 3 goals in his first 3 games at DCU is quickly moving towards not even being an asset in this league?

That's downright absurd. The kid is a good player. Osorio being good doesn't make Silva bad. What happens if Osorio picks up an injury, or is called up to the CMNT? Who plays in the AM role? The mystery player we don't have yet or Darren fucking Russel? LOL
Silva scoring 3 goals in 3 games is irrelevant to this topic. How many goals has he scored in a TFC uniform? This season? He was not performing well this year, regardless of whatever potential you think you see, others can argue that they don't see it. This same argument can be made about Ryan Johnson - he did not want to be here, causing him to play accordingly. Now that he's in Portland, he's rocking.
Your love for Silva is evident, but he wasn't willing to put in the effort to improve or get better with the squad, much like Ashton Morgan this year. Whether its a case of entitlement or just being sick of losing.
And I agree that there are guys who I would rather have seen gone before Silva, but they have no value, TFC any do anything but waive them, or wait out their contracts.

Ivy
08-14-2013, 10:45 PM
Can we stop talking about Silva now? Some agree with the move, some don't. Fact is he's gone, lets move on.

Ultra & Proud
08-14-2013, 11:00 PM

That's how it goes. You are totally right. I would toss Avila on your list as well. I remember him leaving being called a loss of a player with immense potential, vision, and skill. Now he is domestic and a very dull average at best. He wouldn't start on a good team and I say Silva wouldn't either (but Silva is way better than Avila, who was criminally overrated here). We aren't nearly a good team yet but hopefully we will be one day (sooner than later) and to get there we needed to sacrifice a decent player to get better. I can live with that and I personally like how Payne is assembling a young, affordable squad. Lots of internationals now but I expect Koev, Ecks, & Lambe to be either gone or have their domestic status changed. For me seeing who this "next weeks" mystery signing is will tell a lot and then hopefully Payne can make good in our off season and score some proven MLS depth by re-entry draft or trades to fill out the squad.

Detroit_TFC
08-14-2013, 11:07 PM
Problems been we're always assembling pieces, then changing the big plan that brought those players in, then having to see what fits with the new plan. Decisions are made based on how a player fits into the plan of the moment, not their intrinsic value or skill.

jloome
08-14-2013, 11:13 PM

I'm sure you didn't mean to disparagingly lump all of us who aren't fond of Payne or Silva into the realm of emotional, irrational whiners, but that's what you basically just did.

It's not bloody "cipher" for anything for me; I watched Silva play, and I'm not sure he was the guy; but equally, KP seems to be fucking up a bit. Ensco's right; people here need to listen to logic and stop guessing at what people feel, because these are two different issues.

How is it an emotional release to point out the logical, that KP has been chasing people for months without success, that he sold Silva on without, so far, announcing anyone to replace him.

Do me a favor: don't lump me in the junior psychobabble.

ginkster88
08-15-2013, 12:33 AM
Do me a favor: don't lump me in the junior psychobabble. He deserves at least that... jloome is one of a handful of posters whose posts regularly espouse a clear and reasoned opinion. I know I can't always say the same about myself.

OgtheDim
08-15-2013, 06:48 AM
I'm sure you didn't mean to disparagingly lump all of us who aren't fond of Payne or Silva into the realm of emotional, irrational whiners, but that's what you basically just did.

What I'm saying is the Silva trade is, by and large, seen through the lens of how you see the team as a whole and represents that view. Unlike other issues with the team, the lines that have occurred around the Silva trade have broken down along those lines.

Pointing that out is not disparaging - its noticing something. Its not psychobabble - if anything, its sociological analysis.

You seem to think there is only one "logical" conclusion to seeing things here.

I'm pointing out that the logical conclusion people are coming to, on the Silva trade, is based on how they see the team going at this point.

As others have also pointed out, we really don't know what is involved in that trade beyond he went,and what we were told why he went - which isn't much.

PopePouri
08-15-2013, 06:55 AM
Can we stop talking about Silva now? Some agree with the move, some don't. Fact is he's gone, lets move on.

You're new here? We'll wallow on it for the next 2 years.

Damien
08-15-2013, 07:10 AM
You're new here? We'll wallow on it for the next 2 years.

This.

2 years minimum. If he win's the golden boot we'll likely dedicate a thread to why we want KP to be fired for this reason alone.

Phil
08-15-2013, 07:14 AM
All I can say is that current management was surprised at how undeveloped Silva was and not impressed with how unresponsive he was to their efforts. If you think about what he went through here, it doesn't surpirse me TBH. Lots of promise, then the whole bar incident and all the coaching and direction changes.

At the end of the day, they moved him due to frustration. I don't know if that speaks more about the player or managements ability to develop (of which I do have concerns).

MagicPig
08-15-2013, 07:23 AM
There is no denying Silva's ability as it is, he's a solid MLS starter on half the teams in the league, but looking at what he should've been by now, he's a disappointment. Though, as Phil said, you can question whether that's actually his fault or if he just became a product of his environment.

burlington Red
08-15-2013, 07:51 AM

He ain't no kid, he is 25 yrs old, an age were most players are in or who are very close to their prime. He is 25 and no-one still knows his best position. The fact he was traded to a team arguably worse than us, says a lot more about how other teams in league view him.
Personally I would have kept him, but Osario is cheaper, younger and better, and we don't have many other bargaining chips to offer teams, deal is done, deal with it and move on please.

Derko
08-15-2013, 08:06 AM
He ain't no kid, he is 25 yrs old, an age were most players are in or who are very close to their prime. He is 25 and no-one still knows his best position. The fact he was traded to a team arguably worse than us, says a lot more about how other teams in league view him.
Personally I would have kept him, but Osario is cheaper, younger and better, and we don't have many other bargaining chips to offer teams, deal is done, deal with it and move on please.

Or start another thread. god, we do get bloody sidetracked, I know this is the Speculation Thread. Players come and go, I am not the so called experts that have been hired by TFC management to fill the role of player acqusition and trades, they must know something more than I do.
I have a hard time trading players in FIFA 13, let alone at TFC.
Oh I gave my true identity away :drinking:

Red I
08-15-2013, 08:11 AM
What's the over/under on days for Urruti to sign?

reggie
08-15-2013, 08:15 AM
enough of the silva talk,,,,we got some good cash for him from man city..:D

Oldtimer
08-15-2013, 08:16 AM

This is the point so many are missing. If he was sold to a great team like KC for a third-round supplemental draft pick (like so many promising players were in the past by various TFC managers) then we could moan like crazy over assets being dumped for nothing to a smarter team. It happened so many times with previous managers that is now almost a reflex action for us.

The fact is that the current DC is a terrible team, they are up against a brick wall and totally desperate, because their current management's strategy was to build the team 100% around DeRo's play. The fact that DeRo is not going to be kept means they need a similar player pronto, and Silva can play a similar role so they hope against hope that he will be the next DeRo and were willing to pay accordingly. I don't think KP was planning to get rid of Silva, but hey if you offer enough, any player is for sale.

I get tired too of the endless moaning at any roster move. However, if you look at Kreis' RSL rebuild after years and years of sucking, there was just as much moaning over there at each move, especially when he got rid of the league's top scorer, Jeff Cunningham.

End story, the moaning won't stop until we get at least a .500 team.

CommradePolski
08-15-2013, 08:17 AM
I think Lieweke's big dp target is going to be Zlatan Ibrahimovic.

Areathrasher
08-15-2013, 08:20 AM
Would probably guarantee a league title given he wins one everywhere he goes hahahaha

CBTFC
08-15-2013, 08:20 AM
Osario is cheaper, younger and better

This. Not much more to be said. We found a diamond in the rough in Osorio it seems, and scored 500K for Silva.

Time to move on.

Dreadlocks
08-15-2013, 08:24 AM
I'm still waiting for any info about the 'mystery' player that apparently will be announced next week. Anyone have any guesses or heard any rumblings about a name (player or team) or anything at all?

Oldtimer
08-15-2013, 08:25 AM
So, interesting new today about Urruti nearly being signed. Another piece almost in place, but more pieces are needed.

Pint
08-15-2013, 08:29 AM
If I had to venture a guess as to who the mystery player is I would guess Lampard... Was linked with LA last year is an AM and fits te bill of someone who can put butts in seats but again just a guess.

Phil
08-15-2013, 08:43 AM
If I had to venture a guess as to who the mystery player is I would guess Lampard... Was linked with LA last year is an AM and fits te bill of someone who can put butts in seats but again just a guess.

Lampard got strong advice not to join MLS, but I would imagine his name is still in there. Leiweke thinks very highly of him.

My guess is they are going to continue to persue Forlan.

C.Ronaldo
08-15-2013, 08:58 AM

ive always thought this

1) he is exciting to watch
2) he doesnt give an F about what people say
3) a trail blazer
4) would play for the money!

This is the type of player you market around

Jack
08-15-2013, 08:59 AM
Zlatan's a classless scumbag.

PopePouri
08-15-2013, 09:05 AM
There is no denying Silva's ability as it is, he's a solid MLS starter on half the teams in the league, but looking at what he should've been by now, he's a disappointment. Though, as Phil said, you can question whether that's actually his fault or if he just became a product of his environment.

I say judge him over a 10 game period. What's evident is he went through spots of brilliance here for 5 games or so and then wouldn't contribute for the next 5.

Also he is not AM. 2 different managements under TFC starting him as AM and then moved him to drop forward later on. DC seems to be doing the same.

WestStandGeoff
08-15-2013, 09:17 AM

Or start another thread. god, we do get bloody sidetracked, I know this is the Speculation Thread. Players come and go, I am not the so called experts that have been hired by TFC management to fill the role of player acqusition and trades, they must know something more than I do.
I have a hard time trading players in FIFA 13, let alone at TFC.
Oh I gave my true identity away :drinking:

Do we even need a new thread? How about using the Luis Silva Appreciation Thread (http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showthread.php?34518-Luis-Silva-Appreciation-Thread&highlight=silva)? It would be nice for this discussion to actually centre around player moves/speculation/etc. instead of Monday morning quarterbacking about any trades that were made... or the constant Urutti trolling that stopped being even remotely funny a long time ago.

TFC07
08-15-2013, 09:21 AM

Even bigger signing than Forlan IMO. I would be shocked if we signed Ibrahimovic.

Slick
08-15-2013, 09:21 AM
Do we even need a new thread? How about using the Luis Silva Appreciation Thread (http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showthread.php?34518-Luis-Silva-Appreciation-Thread&highlight=silva)? It would be nice for this discussion to actually centre around player moves/speculation/etc. instead of Monday morning quarterbacking about any trades that were made... or the constant Urutti trolling that stopped being even remotely funny a long time ago.

+1. :topic:

gdg_9
08-15-2013, 09:22 AM

That would be amazing...

But since he's signed until summer 2015, I don't see it happening any time soon.
The transfer fee would be astronomical (by MLS standards)

Red I
08-15-2013, 09:23 AM

I don't think Nelsen could coach him; he would demand being treated to a higher standard, and Nelsen's not having that

trane
08-15-2013, 09:23 AM

Sure. But I would take him.

He has the stature of a classic Center Forward, is one of the worlds best finishers, and can create for himself and others. Having said that on this team, he would be getting in fights everyday, for people fucking up.

Anyway, it is not happening.

MagicPig
08-15-2013, 09:28 AM

Agreed whole-heartedly, I'll take class over talent any day, pass.

Standing for something is more important than winning, moreso in football than any other sport.

MartinUtd
08-15-2013, 09:49 AM
Agreed whole-heartedly, I'll take class over talent any day, pass.

Standing for something is more important than winning, moreso in football than any other sport.

I like a good tongue in cheek comment, but that's ballsy for your 4th post :)

jloome
08-15-2013, 09:55 AM
I'm pointing out that the logical conclusion people are coming to, on the Silva trade, is based on how they see the team going at this point.

And I'm pointing out that some of us don't filter everything through larger circumstance. Some of us are intelligent enough to separate the two.

Jack
08-15-2013, 09:56 AM
Sure. But I would take him.

He has the stature of a classic Center Forward, is one of the worlds best finishers, and can create for himself and others. Having said that on this team, he would be getting in fights everyday, for people fucking up.

Anyway, it is not happening.

I agree it is highly unlikely, but I don't know if I could stomach him if he came here. Of course I'd enjoy his goals (I'm not going to lie), but I can't stand him. He just continues to be a complete idiotic douche on the pitch and off it. I guess some people find his arrogant antics entertaining, but I just find him to lack any class. His latest round of douche moves while playing the Faroe Islands are just another example. Taunting these semi-pros while you dive around the pitch and dominate them, then tossing the ball in that guy's face, is just being a class "A" dickhead.

And he would probably be uncoachable in MLS, as well. His attitude would probably be a very poor fit for this league.

jloome
08-15-2013, 09:58 AM
JESUS TAP DANCING CHRIST ,CAN' T ANYONE STAY ON POINT HERE.

I started the Silva discussion again -- but I didn't. I started a "why did Kevin Payne trade someone (anyone, I don't fucking care) when he didn't have someone to REPLACE them.

It's a different fucking topic than whether Silva was a good player, or deserved to be here.

Thanks for three pages of turning my initial point into an endlessly argumentative fucking debate.

NUANCE, people. Just because Silva is involved in a question, does not mean that the question is about Silva.

OgtheDim
08-15-2013, 10:11 AM
Pax

Zlatan would be awful.

I still think Lieweke wants Ronaldo in 2015.

Mr. Bigby
08-15-2013, 10:11 AM

I started the Silva discussion again -- but I didn't. I started a "why did Kevin Payne trade someone (anyone, I don't fucking care) when he didn't have someone to REPLACE them.

It's a different fucking topic than whether Silva was a good player, or deserved to be here.

Thanks for three pages of turning my initial point into an endlessly argumentative fucking debate.

NUANCE, people. Just because Silva is involved in a question, does not mean that the question is about Silva.

And you expected anything different...Why? Directing debates on this forum is like herding cats, without the purring and the scented kitty litter...

Oldtimer
08-15-2013, 10:12 AM

I would expect there was a deal that was 95% done. MLS rules means that you have to clear the space first. It can't be 100% done because the cap space is part of the deal before the MLS FO signs off on it. Unfortunately, we ended up in the rare situation with the 5% scuttling the deal.

So it's not really "why is KP such an idiot" but rather "why is TFC so cursed?" That I cannot say.

Suds
08-15-2013, 10:16 AM

hehe, sounds like a recent debate at the office .. some peeps couldn't get their head wrapped around what the actual point being debated was

I hear your frustration :)

As to your point, it's fair to question this move by KP. He left us which a hole on our roster for a fair number of games. And this on a team with hardly any depth. It's not a move I would like to see repeated.

Suds
08-15-2013, 10:17 AM
Zlatan? - no fucking thank-you

ensco
08-15-2013, 10:26 AM
The odds of Ibra coming to a team in a league like MLS are about the same as the odds of a snowstorm in the Mojave desert in July.

He is never going to play non-elite level football.

Super
08-15-2013, 10:28 AM
Zlatan is a scumbag, sure, but he's a winner. TFC could use one of those. Not gonna happen.

ManUtd4ever
08-15-2013, 10:49 AM
https://si0.twimg.com/profile_images/3641208865/a39725e014e38d6fcf02bd42a897d644_normal.jpeg John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro)43m (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/368025024080252928)

Hearing that Maxi Urruti signing won't be completed and announced today. Maybe tomorrow. #TFC (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TFC&src=hash)

denime
08-15-2013, 10:56 AM
Zlatan is a scumbag, sure, but he's a winner. TFC could use one of those. Not gonna happen.

I'll take scumbeg like Zlatan any day.No other player has won more national champs then him 11 in 4 countries and 7 clubs.Scumbeg or not he is a winner, God knows we need winners in our team.

Not gonna happen, back to topic.

notthesun
08-15-2013, 11:12 AM
Molinaro saying based on what he's heard Urruti won't be signed today, "maybe tomorrow", but then again he was wrong about not putting much stock into the Urruti rumors earlier in the week so who really knows what's going on.

brad
08-15-2013, 11:19 AM
Pax

Zlatan would be awful.

I still think Lieweke wants Ronaldo in 2015.

Fairly off topic, but I follow United (and hence the whole Ronaldo pursuit saga) closely. Ronaldo in 2015 is going to become a free agent and he is going to demand the equivalent transfer fee as a signing bonus (probably something on the order of 65 million Euro). Normally I'd think ludicroios, but this is one of the best players in the history of the game and the second best in the world - in his prime -available on free. Monaco, PSG, City, Chelsea, and most likely United would all pony up for that. On top of that, he is going to demand a monstrous wage (probably more than 300,000 Euro a week) which the above teams will also be willing to meet. For him to come to TFC - they; have to better that salary by a fair amount I'd think.

Maybe MLSE wants to pony up insane money, but that just seems way to out of reach. I also don't see Ronaldo coming to the MLS now - to driven to be the best to step away from the top at this stage.

tfcleeds
08-15-2013, 11:24 AM
Regardless what you think of Ibra, I agree that there's no way he's ever coming here in the first place.

OgtheDim
08-15-2013, 11:30 AM
Oh I know its a ludicrous idea but so was getting Beckham.

Would MLSE put up the money for Ronaldo? Your looking at an investment of about $95 million (US) to get him and about $31 million a year in salary. Heck, I don't know if anybody but a petro dollar backed team could afford that. Hmm...Ronaldo to NYCFC?

Back on topic, there would be better choices but Lieweke thinks like this.

Damien
08-15-2013, 11:40 AM
https://si0.twimg.com/profile_images/3641208865/a39725e014e38d6fcf02bd42a897d644_normal.jpeg John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro)43m (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/368025024080252928)

Hearing that Maxi Urruti signing won't be completed and announced today. Maybe tomorrow. #TFC (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TFC&src=hash)

I'm guessing this will be the report tomorrow as well.

MartinUtd
08-15-2013, 11:46 AM
I could see Ronaldo in MLS, but not before another stint in England.

When January comes, I'd expect it to be a former big name who's still got something left in the tank, but not much. Forlan, Lampard, Kaka, Eto, Robinho, etc...

Ultra & Proud
08-15-2013, 11:52 AM

When January comes, I'd expect it to be a former big name who's still got something left in the tank, but not much. Forlan, Lampard, Kaka, Eto, Robinho, etc...
Not necessarily for us but I see Forlan, Kaka, and Drogba ending up in MLS eventually.

ManUtd4ever
08-15-2013, 12:07 PM

Agreed.

Wince
08-15-2013, 12:16 PM

Now I'm wondering if this deal gets done in time for Columbus on Saturday. I'm leaning towards NO.

Super
08-15-2013, 12:19 PM
I think TFC is doing everything humanly possible to get Urruti signed and ready for Saturday (although likely won't be a starter). It's all about paper work and NOB at this point. Fingers crossed. I'd like to see him for a bit on Saturday as a late sub.

MartinUtd
08-15-2013, 12:27 PM
I think TFC is doing everything humanly possible to get Urruti signed and ready for Saturday (although likely won't be a starter). It's all about paper work and NOB at this point. Fingers crossed. I'd like to see him for a bit on Saturday as a late sub.

And the Argentinian courts that over see clubs in administration.

TimDrodgeba
08-15-2013, 12:44 PM
I saw Urruti in practice today. Sad to say didn't look very impressive. :facepalm:

Corpand
08-15-2013, 12:47 PM
Did he struggle with some of the physicality in training today?

TimDrodgeba
08-15-2013, 12:49 PM
Didnt have very good touch. He said he was fatigued because it was last minute and had to fly economy. Looks like he will tear it up from his highlight reel though.

Corpand
08-15-2013, 12:51 PM
And the Argentinian courts that over see clubs in administration.

I think everyone will be surprised at the substantial role MLS is playing in all of this. Let's just be thankful that Payne sits in a swanky executive chair for the MLS board.

NolbertoS
08-15-2013, 12:52 PM
Didnt have very good touch. He said he was fatigued because it was last minute and had to fly economy. Looks like he will tear it up from his highlight reel though.

Seriously, was MLSE, that cheap not to fly him in 1st class?? I'd honestly expect him at least 3-4 games to get settled in with the squad and city. Don't know how good his English, but somebody should tell him north york is where most latinos hang out for shopping and groceries

TimDrodgeba
08-15-2013, 12:53 PM
Oso has been helping out with Laba and other latinos.

If this was hockey Harper would be on the phone directly negotiating with Argentina prime minister. Does any one know people in Canadian embassy in Buenos Aires?

markie8002000
08-15-2013, 12:56 PM
Heres an article posted today http://translate.google.ca/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rosario3.com%2Fdeportes%2Fnob%2 Fnoticias.aspx%3FidNot%3D134372%26utm_source%3Dtwi tterfeed%26utm_medium%3Dtwitter&act=url

69Chevy396
08-15-2013, 12:58 PM
Right. It is hard to blame Silva on a team that was mired in shit, and still went out and hired a completly unqualified and inexperienced manager. So many of those late minute goals this year may not have happened if Nelsen knew what he was doing. The team may have been in a playoff hunt, and players such as Silva would have received professional coaching......now, no more Silva talk

Richard
08-15-2013, 12:58 PM
I think everyone will be surprised at the substantial role MLS is playing in all of this. Let's just be thankful that Payne sits in a swanky executive chair for the MLS board.

While I'm thankful we have Payne and his influence, I wish this league would grow up already and truly have the parity they allude too.

Canary10
08-15-2013, 01:02 PM
Heres an article posted today http://translate.google.ca/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rosario3.com%2Fdeportes%2Fnob%2 Fnoticias.aspx%3FidNot%3D134372%26utm_source%3Dtwi tterfeed%26utm_medium%3Dtwitter&act=url

What? He's got leprosy?

Corpand
08-15-2013, 01:03 PM
While I'm thankful we have Payne and his influence, I wish this league would grow up already and truly have the parity they allude too.

I have to agree, it feels good for us now that we have him but if it was some other team had the right guy, we would feel the opposite emotion.
As long as this league is run like a flat-out business and is pulling shit like the Dempsey deal for a return on marketing $$$, parity will be impossible.

Canary10
08-15-2013, 01:04 PM

From that posted article, it looks like a friendly with a US based MLS team was part of the compensation. That suggests MLS was definitely very involved.

jloome
08-15-2013, 01:06 PM
Oh I know its a ludicrous idea but so was getting Beckham.

Would MLSE put up the money for Ronaldo? Your looking at an investment of about $95 million (US) to get him and about $31 million a year in salary. Heck, I don't know if anybody but a petro dollar backed team could afford that. Hmm...Ronaldo to NYCFC?

Back on topic, there would be better choices but Lieweke thinks like this.

If I'm Lieweke and I'm going to break the bank, I'd go after Wayne Rooney.

Seriously. He's already won everything at the elite level, he's on the outs with Man Utd. and he comes from a personally very humble background. The idea of making more than in the prem (you'd have to pay him just shitloads of money of course) would probably be enough, combined with the international superstar/notoriety thing.

If they gave him $25M a season, he'd probably be over in a shot. And it would be the first time we'd used that "he'd tear this league a new one" line and be deadly accurate.

ag futbol
08-15-2013, 01:06 PM
Seriously, was MLSE, that cheap not to fly him in 1st class?? I'd honestly expect him at least 3-4 games to get settled in with the squad and city. Don't know how good his English, but somebody should tell him north york is where most latinos hang out for shopping and groceries
Might be a case of last minute booking / lack of availability.

Hopefully everyone is willing to be patient with his progress. I know TFC is under pressure to find someone to produce up front, but it's unlikely it will be a quick fix. There will probably be some sort of prolonged adjustment period.

That being said, considering the time / aggravation / price tag, it's important he show some strong signs of potential right away.

OgtheDim
08-15-2013, 01:08 PM
Not saying its right but every league has weird stuff going on due to favours.

mattsoks
08-15-2013, 01:08 PM

So it's alleged that the NOB and TFC/MLS have reached an agreement on the transfer and fee involved, but NOB has also filed legal proceedings against MLS/TFC "demanding payment of the option to purchase 80 percent of pass Urruti that clear from the offices of the Park, and was made effective."

:skep:

Damn you google translate, damn you.

Oldtimer
08-15-2013, 01:09 PM
Our other Argentinian didn't look impressive until he settled in.

Corpand
08-15-2013, 01:11 PM

"It may take place in 2014 or 2015 and will also give you the chance to Newell's to play a friendly match with Toronto FC in Canada itself and another team in Major League Soccer in the United States, competition that this affiliated..."

This afternoon might actually be what seals the deal. This exact issue (and an issue it is) is what my earlier post about MLS was alluding to. I would hate to work for a MLS team in recruitment. The hurdles that have to be overcome would drive me insane. Who wrote the rules for this league?

Canary10
08-15-2013, 01:14 PM

Seriously. He's already won everything at the elite level, he's on the outs with Man Utd. and he comes from a personally very humble background. The idea of making more than in the prem (you'd have to pay him just shitloads of money of course) would probably be enough, combined with the international superstar/notoriety thing.

If they gave him $25M a season, he'd probably be over in a shot. And it would be the first time we'd used that "he'd tear this league a new one" line and be deadly accurate.

I would totally do that too.

Ivy
08-15-2013, 01:17 PM
I don't understand English very well, could SOMEBODY explain to me what the REAL issue is?
Is it because TFC wants 100% of his contract, but NOB wants a piece left for them?

jloome
08-15-2013, 01:17 PM
Our other Argentinian didn't look impressive until he settled in.

I'm telling you know, if Vitti isn't called offside on that feed from Dichio and scores in his first game, the El Muerte tag would've lifted and we would've had a decent player.

Ivy
08-15-2013, 01:20 PM
I wouldn't be too worried about Urruti not being any good. NOB is a good club in their league, and obviously have a strong interest in Urruti - they wouldn't go through this circus if he was a dud.

TimDrodgeba
08-15-2013, 01:25 PM
I don't understand English very well, could SOMEBODY explain to me what the REAL issue is?
Is it because TFC wants 100% of his contract, but NOB wants a piece left for them?
It's complicated. Apart from things already mentioned there is also a problem with co-ownership (like Tevez had). An Argentina friend told me that with NOB he was co-owned by his father and his father's brother (uncle) and his father and his uncle had a family dispute and his uncle is siding with NOB and being a dick with contract stuff.

markie8002000
08-15-2013, 01:42 PM
Sacred Heart Rosary Cub seems to be the problem? Are they Newells or someone else?

Milanista
08-15-2013, 01:47 PM

LMAO why not got for Messi or Ronaldo while were at it? Or balotelli when he was fighting with Man City

Wince
08-15-2013, 01:57 PM
From that posted article, it looks like a friendly with a US based MLS team was part of the compensation. That suggests MLS was definitely very involved.

Yeah, but didn't we see examples of SA articles that referenced TFC as a US team? I'm sure I saw that pop up a few times. Either blame that on the translations, of the lack of geography knowledge in SA I guess.

Canary10
08-15-2013, 02:01 PM
Yeah, but didn't we see examples of SA articles that referenced TFC as a US team? I'm sure I saw that pop up a few times. Either blame that on the translations, of the lack of geography knowledge in SA I guess.

It clearly says a friendly with another MLS team so regardless, unless TFC has the right to negotiate on behalf of other teams, MLS was involved in making this happen.

OgtheDim
08-15-2013, 02:04 PM
2 game trips seem to be the norm for these jaunts. I'm thinking Chicago would be happy to see NOB in a friendly.

Canary10
08-15-2013, 02:08 PM
LMAO why not got for Messi or Ronaldo while were at it? Or balotelli when he was fighting with Man City

On a ludicrousness scale with a 1 being not all ludicrous and a 10 being extremely ludicrous, I would say Messi and Ronaldo would be a 10. Rooney would only be an 8.

tfcleeds
08-15-2013, 02:09 PM
So glad I have a basic knowledge of Spanish - Google Translate is just terrible.

Haddy
08-15-2013, 02:15 PM
It clearly says a friendly with another MLS team so regardless, unless TFC has the right to negotiate on behalf of other teams, MLS was involved in making this happen.

MLS is involved in all player negotiations.

Canary10
08-15-2013, 02:17 PM
MLS is involved in all player negotiations.

I know that. They're not generally giving away friendlies with other teams in MLS in exchange for players though.

Milanista
08-15-2013, 02:25 PM
On a ludicrousness scale with a 1 being not all ludicrous and a 10 being extremely ludicrous, I would say Messi and Ronaldo would be a 10. Rooney would only be an 8.

I can agree with 8!

NolbertoS
08-15-2013, 03:06 PM

for those google spanish challenged :p, here's my version of spanish, enjoy :D

Urruti is in Toronto and Newell’s is having problems with a local team.

The transfer of Maxi Urruti to Toronto FC of Canada is a fact. But Newell’s has a problem that impedes it to taste the financial rainfall from his sale. And it is because the club Sagrado Croazon, of our city, has gone to the courts to demand the payment of an option to buy (Max Urruti’s contract to Newell’s), that them and Newell’s had agreed
The attacker is in Canada and has already had his first training sessions. The agreement between both parties is about $1 Million dollars for the “Lepra” and the possibility to have a pre-season tranining session, with all expenses paid in north American territory.
This could happen in 2014 or 2015 and also would give Newell a chance to play friendlies with Toronto FC in Canada and with another team of Major League Soccer of the USA .
But the “Lepra” club hasn’t sent part of the transfer payment to Sagrado Corazon club of Rosario, which they have gone to the courts to demand payment with an option of buying 80% of Urutti’s contract that they had mutually agreed in the offices of Newell’s, which is now effective after Urruti’s sale. For this, we’ll have to wait what resolution will be resolved in the courts.

Ultra & Proud
08-15-2013, 03:37 PM
Stuff like this is why some European teams avoid dealing with South America completely. Total bullshit.

jloome
08-15-2013, 03:39 PM
Stuff like this is why some European teams avoid dealing with South America completely. Total bullshit.

LOL, NOB is just using the courts as a scapegoat; the club is in administration, so it needs approval from a court-appointed auditor or guardian before any deal is approved. That's my guess.

Detroit_TFC
08-15-2013, 03:39 PM
Holy shitballs. I don't want to hear about how fucked up MLS is ever again. This stuff in Argentina is off the chart.

jloome
08-15-2013, 03:51 PM
Holy shitballs. I don't want to hear about how fucked up MLS is ever again. This stuff in Argentina is off the chart.

Anyone know Mike Grella, the former Leeds player we drafted out of college but who went over there instead?

He's been on trial with NY but they can't make a roster spot for him. Allegedly.

NEW YORK RED BULLS
Mike Grella’s search for a new club will have to continue.
After spending time in the last few weeks trialing with the New York Red Bulls, head coach Mike Petke announced on Wednesday that the two sides agreed to mutually end the trial, (http://www.bigapplesoccer.com/teams/redbulls2.php?article_id=34549) due to the Red Bulls lack of roster space. The club recently signed Bradley Wright-Phillips and David Carney, leaving the Red Bulls without room or salary cap space to add a player like Grella.
Also, the Red Bulls announced that rookie midfielder Ian Christianson will miss the rest of the season (http://www.bigapplesoccer.com/teams/redbulls2.php?article_id=34533) due to another foot surgery.

From SBI.

Any thoughts? Anyone know if he'd add anything?

Milanista
08-15-2013, 03:51 PM
The best talent in south america right now bang for buck is Columbia by far. I wish TFC would dip their feet there, you can find some real gems.

West220Side
08-15-2013, 03:54 PM
The best talent in south america right now bang for buck is Columbia by far. I wish TFC would dip their feet there, you can find some real gems.

It seems with MLS every few years theres a new 'taste' every GM is essentially a lady who just needs a new purse, except instead of a purse its a player from a certain country.

It was Columbia, with Freddy Montero coming into the league, now its Argentina with players like Valeri, Laba, etc.

WestStandGeoff
08-15-2013, 03:58 PM
Anyone know Mike Grella, the former Leeds player we drafted out of college but who went over there instead?

He's been on trial with NY but they can't make a roster spot for him. Allegedly.

NEW YORK RED BULLS
Mike Grella’s search for a new club will have to continue.
After spending time in the last few weeks trialing with the New York Red Bulls, head coach Mike Petke announced on Wednesday that the two sides agreed to mutually end the trial, (http://www.bigapplesoccer.com/teams/redbulls2.php?article_id=34549) due to the Red Bulls lack of roster space. The club recently signed Bradley Wright-Phillips and David Carney, leaving the Red Bulls without room or salary cap space to add a player like Grella.
Also, the Red Bulls announced that rookie midfielder Ian Christianson will miss the rest of the season (http://www.bigapplesoccer.com/teams/redbulls2.php?article_id=34533) due to another foot surgery.

From SBI.

Any thoughts? Anyone know if he'd add anything?

If we drafted him, don't we hold some kind of rights if he decides to come to MLS?

NolbertoS
08-15-2013, 04:03 PM

Its Colombia ;) and most Colombians prefer to go to Argentina than MLS. Colombia has always produced great attacking talent.

trane
08-15-2013, 04:07 PM
I'm telling you know, if Vitti isn't called offside on that feed from Dichio and scores in his first game, the El Muerte tag would've lifted and we would've had a decent player.

I agree, he was one of the more talented players we had, just did not put it all together with us.

OgtheDim
08-15-2013, 04:08 PM
Quick Mariner scouting report on Grella

Maybe as cheaper depth then Braun but he's a reject from Scunthorpe. 15 starts, 1 goal with a goal every 1076 minutes. We'd be lucky to get 2 goals a season out of him.

Wince
08-15-2013, 04:29 PM

Can't argue with you there.

brad
08-15-2013, 04:32 PM

Apparantly he really wants to work with Mourinho. But Paul Stretford pulls his strings, and he dances like a puppet. Make it worth Stretfords while, and he'd play for the Lynx...

Haddy
08-15-2013, 06:12 PM
I know that. They're not generally giving away friendlies with other teams in MLS in exchange for players though.

Granted. Seems to me it's a 'we'll scratch your back if you scratch ours'. MLS gets Urruti and two very sell-able friendlies in the future, NOB get the much needed cash and a free tour to a lucrative market(s). I bet there is gate revenue involved as well. Everyone wins, hard to pass up.

Strange but we are talking about MLS.

notthesun
08-15-2013, 06:31 PM
Well hey, look at that, the MLS twitter account just tweeted out of nowhere "Rookie of the Year?" with a picture of Osorio. Nice to see him getting some recognition. Although the replies make me want to slap people.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BRvs2IlCcAAZpqe.jpg

OgtheDim
08-15-2013, 06:35 PM
Meh....in 3 years, where will yedlin be? Osorio, baring injury, should be still succeeding.

jloome
08-15-2013, 07:05 PM
Well hey, look at that, the MLS twitter account just tweeted out of nowhere "Rookie of the Year?" with a picture of Osorio. Nice to see him getting some recognition. Although the replies make me want to slap people.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BRvs2IlCcAAZpqe.jpg

There's a hype story on mlssoccer.com

Ivy
08-15-2013, 07:45 PM
Where is urruti?!???

Marc"2L"
08-15-2013, 09:21 PM
Hopefully in his hotel room

69Chevy396
08-15-2013, 09:48 PM
Hopefully in his hotel room
I heard that Urutti's first impression of Toronto was how pleasant our winter is.

nonc
08-15-2013, 09:50 PM
fucking seattle spammers, yedlin is a right back with 0 assists are you kidding me

Jpexxx
08-15-2013, 10:08 PM
If we drafted him, don't we hold some kind of rights if he decides to come to MLS?

Pretty sure our ownership of his rights expired already. Since he was a supplemental pick.

notthesun
08-15-2013, 10:13 PM
fucking seattle spammers, yedlin is a right back with 0 assists are you kidding me

1 goal and 1 assist but no, he shouldn't win it. If we're picking RBs Farrell has been better, 1 assist, more minutes, and only 6 fouls committed in 21 games which is ridiculous.

Right now for me Osorio is behind Dillon Powers and Deshorn Brown in that order, and about even with Farrell. If he can get a few more goals and maybe an assist or two I think he has a shot at least.

nonc
08-15-2013, 10:32 PM
1 goal and 1 assist but no, he shouldn't win it. If we're picking RBs Farrell has been better, 1 assist, more minutes, and only 6 fouls committed in 21 games which is ridiculous.

Right now for me Osorio is behind Dillon Powers and Deshorn Brown in that order, and about even with Farrell. If he can get a few more goals and maybe an assist or two I think he has a shot at least.

that's perfect order. NE probably wont make playoffs but for me their turnaround is one of the MLS stories of the year. after 2012 they weren't looking much better off than even TFC, now they are pretty good and play an attractive game.

Blizzard
08-15-2013, 11:09 PM
I agree, he was one of the more talented players we had, just did not put it all together with us.

Absolutely so. It's not like we dumped him either. He was offered a contract for the next season but he chose to refuse the paycut.

How many goal posts did he hit overall. Had to be half-a-dozen.