PDA

View Full Version : TFC 2013 general player moves/speculation/etc.

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

jloome
03-12-2013, 10:14 PM
Interesting that he says they're exploring the possibility of signing Urruti as a non-DP.

No he doesn't. There are no names mentioned in this.

Pint
03-12-2013, 10:23 PM
have to think that if they are trying to sign the Argentinian as a non DP that they have a plan for the DP slots.

even if it is a lineup of:

Earnshaw
Urruti
Ephriam-Silva-Bostock
Cesar
morgan-califf-odea-ecks

with better depth than we have seen in a while

Stress
03-12-2013, 10:55 PM
have to think that if they are trying to sign the Argentinian as a non DP that they have a plan for the DP slots.

even if it is a lineup of:

Earnshaw
Urruti
Ephriam-Silva-Bostock
Cesar
morgan-califf-odea-ecks

with better depth than we have seen in a while

Perhaps they are trying to keep some DP slots free in case they need them when it comes time to renegotiate with Earnie and Bostock.

ag futbol
03-12-2013, 11:28 PM
Urutti was an un-used sub in today's game for Newell's. He has come off the bench a few times recently and if memory serves he scored one about week ago or so

gdg_9
03-13-2013, 09:38 AM
TFC will have to open up 3 international positions over the next couple of months. As was pointed above with the Urutti signing when KM comes off the injury list we need to open an international position up. However, Payne said two more signings were coming right after Urutti. This I assume is the Honduras connection, so this represents 2 more international positions.

Here is the keeper list:
Eckersly
O'Dea
Earnshaw
Bostock
Kovermann (assume club will keep him for this season)

Add:
Urutti
Honduras 1
Honduras 2

Therefore can only keep 1 of the next 4 players. Who would you keep?
Ephraim
Lambe
T. Morgan
Russell.

Could potentially loan out a player but either way they need to be moved off the active roster. As someone pointed out above T. Morgan would be a good loan out candidate.

After discovering yesterday that we actually have 9 Int'l spots, I'm not as worried as I was. There's no need for an immediate move in order to bring in Urruti.

As I see it, one of Ephraim or Lambe will be leaving right in time for Danny K to return.

Ephraim is only on loan until June/July. Once his loan is up, I think TFC will make a decision between him and Lambe.
If Ephraim has performed well and we can sign him to a permanent deal at a decent cap-hit, then Lambe can be dealt.
If we can't/don't sign Ephraim, then Lambe stays.
I wouldn't be comfortable giving up on Lambe until the Ephraim is locked up on a permanent basis.

If we do decide to bring in the long-rumoured two Hondurans, I see no problem dropping Russell.
At his age, and given the fact he isn't even starting, he was likely never meant to be anything more than a stop-gap until the "cavalry" arrives anyway.

Finally, as many have stated on these boards already, it makes sense to loan T. Morgan out to a lower level team.
This makes sense regardless of his Int'l spot. If Urruti does get signed, and Koev's comes back, Morgan drops WAY down on the FW depth chart (Koev's>Urruti>Earnshaw>Braun>MORGAN> Bennett).
There's no point in keeping the kid around if he never sees the field. Better to loan him out so he can gain some experience. The fact that he takes up an Int'l spot just means it makes that much more sense.

notthesun
03-13-2013, 12:08 PM
No he doesn't. There are no names mentioned in this.

Just going off of what's been reported...

Morlesio14
03-13-2013, 05:37 PM
I wonder when the signing will be announced

tfcleeds
03-13-2013, 05:55 PM
I wonder when the signing will be announced

According to the interview with Payne today, he is hoping it will still be this week. So I would imagine Friday at the latest.

khso11
03-13-2013, 08:09 PM
According to the interview with Payne today, he is hoping it will still be this week. So I would imagine Friday at the latest.

and let me guess, they're going to say that they are waiting for a work permit, and then all of a sudden on Saturday morning, they announce that the player could play. Is this some kind of tactic or something so that Montreal wont be ready?

Morlesio14
03-13-2013, 09:16 PM
and let me guess, they're going to say that they are waiting for a work permit, and then all of a sudden on Saturday morning, they announce that the player could play. Is this some kind of tactic or something so that Montreal wont be ready?

If Urrutti plays in Montreal would be hilarious. He'll probably play against L.A on the 30th

ensco
03-13-2013, 09:17 PM
It's all BS imho.

Here is my theory about what Payne is doing: he is building relationships in South America by helping work the market for agents he knows and trusts. Knowing them is not enough, he needs to show that TFC gets the joke. He is not signing Peralta, or Urruti, or whoever is being leaked in these stories. He has no interest in them at all. But he wants to help their agents. It's how the game is played.

When we do sign a quality South American, it'll be someone out of the blue. Whose representation Payne did a favour for, by letting his name be associated with other players in the stable.

I'll get my hat.

Morlesio14
03-13-2013, 10:33 PM
It's all BS imho.

Here is my theory about what Payne is doing: he is building relationships in South America by helping work the market for agents he knows and trusts. Knowing them is not enough, he needs to show that TFC gets the joke. He is not signing Peralta, or Urruti, or whoever is being leaked in these stories. He has no interest in them at all. But he wants to help their agents. It's how the game is played.

When we do sign a quality South American, it'll be someone out of the blue. Whose representation Payne did a favour for, by letting his name be associated with other players in the stable.

I'll get my hat.

Interesting theory. Payne seemed pretty focused on this Urutti kid.

khso11
03-13-2013, 11:51 PM
Interesting theory. Payne seemed pretty focused on this Urutti kid.

I don't recall him saying Urutti in particular, he just said he wants a deal to be sign in the next few days. So I don't think it has to be Urruti, might be another signing from Britain first? :noidea:

jloome
03-14-2013, 12:04 AM
It's all BS imho.

I'll get my hat.

Bingo. Here's a man who knows his strategy.

DOMIN8R
03-14-2013, 06:45 AM
It's all BS imho.

I'll get my hat.

Maybe.

Or.

http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/img/br4ed44386.jpg

You've put yourself out there, Ensco. Let's see. I'll call to discuss.

ensco
03-14-2013, 06:57 AM
^That is not the hat I was talking about g:D

Technorgasm
03-14-2013, 06:58 AM
Robbie Fowler to TFC.

(what its been a couple of months since I've floated it, give a NORB a break)

:flare:

Morlesio14
03-14-2013, 08:25 AM
Well it just makes sense to sign Urutti. Earnshaw has a couple years left and koev also. In 3 years Urutti will be playing with our other 3 DP's

ryan
03-14-2013, 08:59 AM
It's all BS imho.

I'll get my hat.

I like your theory.

MKR
03-14-2013, 09:44 AM
It's an interesting theory Ensco. It's possible, but with all due respect you seem to have a fairly jaded outlook with all things concerning MLSE and its teams, so i can see that you may not trust a lot of what is said at face value. Time will tell if we land this Urruti kid. I hope we do because he seems like a bonafied player and so i guess i hope you're wrong.

Beach_Red
03-14-2013, 09:48 AM
It's all BS imho.

I'll get my hat.

What I like about this theory is that it claims TFC is working with agents, rather than a single agency running TFC behind the scenes. This could be the most significant change to our team since year one.

ensco
03-14-2013, 10:15 AM
It's an interesting theory Ensco. It's possible, but with all due respect you seem to have a fairly jaded outlook with all things concerning MLSE and its teams, so i can see that you may not trust a lot of what is said at face value. Time will tell if we land this Urruti kid. I hope we do because he seems like a bonafied player and so i guess i hope you're wrong.

It's not cynicism and it's not about MLSE. I like Payne.

I'm saying I think he knows what he is doing.

MKR
03-14-2013, 10:22 AM

i'm not doubting that he knows what he's doing or that you back him. In fact i don't think you theory is a bad thing per se. I just hope we get this player instead of the talk of him being nothing more than politics.

reggie
03-14-2013, 10:24 AM
im sure they are close to signing somebody from SA..they wouldnt send onstad and oleary to argentina unless they have somebody in mind...
or maybe they are hiding them in a hotel in mississauga looking at youtube vids of players and payne is lying to us...:facepalm:

Yohan
03-14-2013, 10:25 AM
It's not cynicism and it's not about MLSE. I like Payne.

I think you're spot on. Never take what KP says at face value, but read between the lines when it comes to player signings.

Personally, he better find the next Federico Higuain or he's off my Christmas card list! ;)

Abou Sky
03-14-2013, 10:27 AM
I heard the Vatican signed some new Argentinian to their squad as well. We better get on this ASAP before they scoop up all the talent.

spark
03-14-2013, 10:38 AM
It's all BS imho.

I'll get my hat.

Ha funny I never thought of this because I've experienced first hand this happening. Have been contacted by agents to say so-and-so player is linked to a move to whatever club because they are not getting playing time. It is not in these agent's interests for their player to be rotting in the reserves or bench so to shake things up, and Urruti is probably a perfect example, to get his club to see he is valued or other teams in Argentina to see he is garnering interest and maybe they should have a look or make a move.

ensco
03-14-2013, 10:53 AM
im sure they are close to signing somebody from SA..they wouldnt send onstad and oleary to argentina unless they have somebody in mind...
or maybe they are hiding them in a hotel in mississauga looking at youtube vids of players and payne is lying to us...:facepalm:

Those guys are in Argentina, sure. They are scouting, and building networks. Wouldn't surprise me if they go 5 more times in next 12 months. They should.

If you just go to sign a player and don't do any of the hard work beforehand ... you are not doing it right.

Listen, I have no idea really. All I am saying is, all is not what it seems in this game. It won't be the end of the world if Friday comes and goes and there's no Peralta or Urruti or whomever.

reggie
03-14-2013, 11:00 AM
im with you on that...i know its a fine line and there is going to be some bs,but it sure is better then mo's famous S A scouting trips.

ag futbol
03-14-2013, 11:18 AM
im with you on that...i know its a fine line and there is going to be some bs,but it sure is better then mo's famous S A scouting trips.
Those were awesome. He basically went to Sao Paulo, looked at one of the highest priced players playing at one of the biggest teams and said "yeah, I want that! hypothetically..." I wonder if he even met with any clubs or agents while he was there.

tfcleeds
03-14-2013, 11:42 AM
I heard the Vatican signed some new Argentinian to their squad as well. We better get on this ASAP before they scoop up all the talent.John Paul II played keeper back in the day...oh well, short of resurrection, I guess he's off the list.

Oldtimer
03-14-2013, 11:54 AM

http://soulbrasileiro.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Copacabana-e1280264544773.jpg

I think there is a soccer pitch somewhere nearby, or maybe Mo was looking for a beach soccer expert during his holiday "scouting trips" .... :lol:

DangerRed
03-14-2013, 12:00 PM
John Paul II played keeper back in the day...oh well, short of resurrection, I guess he's off the list.

We're all good for goal keepers. Plus, as you point out, he's dead.
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRIJO8hrCK9_A2xuf303_QgkLYpQrJJK 1HRS8uJDUafIYZ53CygrdfNUGTHxA

ag futbol
03-14-2013, 01:02 PM
http://soulbrasileiro.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Copacabana-e1280264544773.jpg

I think there is a soccer pitch somewhere nearby, or maybe Mo was looking for a beach soccer expert during his holiday "scouting trips" .... :lol:
That looks like Ipanema beach, was there a little while ago. There are actually beach courts all along the strip :D, some organized leagues and young kids playing, incredible amounts of skill on display.
You probably could have found 20-30 guys who could do circles around Andy Welsh and Colin Samuel, if you could pry them away from their parents at the age of 14 :stogey:

tfcleeds
03-14-2013, 01:07 PM
Mo probably found lots of useful futvolei players on his trips anyway.

Lucky Strike
03-14-2013, 01:46 PM
Isn't it obvious? We will sign a player Friday, because we have a match Saturday. That's how TFC does it!

T-boy
03-14-2013, 01:57 PM
I'm not worried if we don't sign anybody this week. We have a 2 week break after Montreal. I'm sure Nelson and Payne will evaluate the firts 3 games, and then it leaves that spare weekend to train any new players before the LA game at the end of the month.

Richard
03-15-2013, 12:10 PM
I think Payne should shutup, do agents a favour privately instead of saying were gonna sign someone this week and not do anything. Third time since he came here with these statments?

Watch me have to eat my words lol.

Super
03-15-2013, 12:17 PM
Maybe we already signed a DP striker, but we're keeping the news away from the press till 5 minutes before game-start tomorrow :D

backbeat
03-15-2013, 01:05 PM
I think Payne should shutup, do agents a favour privately instead of saying were gonna sign someone this week and not do anything. Third time since he came here with these statments?

Watch me have to eat my words lol.

personally i think Payne should do whatever he wants because so far I'm liking it!!

dantdot
03-15-2013, 02:09 PM
Payne was on 590, he says something will be announced over the next week now.

I do find it curious there's no leak or rumors coming out of there at all and if it's even Urruti.

Yohan
03-15-2013, 02:11 PM

I do find it curious there's no leak or rumors coming out of there at all and if it's even Urruti.
good. that's the way it should be

jloome
03-15-2013, 04:58 PM
personally i think Payne should do whatever he wants because so far I'm liking it!!

Maybe, given that our two most effective players are on 6 mos. contracts, he's trying to force them to prove their worth by "imminent" other signings.

Alonso
03-15-2013, 05:54 PM

http://www.sportsnet.ca/590/

Starts at 14:14

moralis
03-15-2013, 06:41 PM
According to Kurt Larson and John Molinaro Maximiliano Urruti is pretty much done:

John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro) Nelsen said deal with Argentine DP is "virtually done." #tfc (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23tfc&src=hash)

https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/312708925352996864

Kurtis Larson ‏@KurtLarSUN (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN) Nelsen says new signing virtually done. #TFC (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TFC&src=hash)

https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN/status/312708758453252096

reggie
03-15-2013, 06:47 PM
jus waiting for the white smoke over BMO and then they will parade our argentine to us...

KGH
03-15-2013, 07:57 PM
jus waiting for the white smoke over BMO and then they will parade our argentine to us...

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view5/3130349/wiserhood-o.gif (http://gifsoup.com/view/3130349/wiserhood.html)

well played sir

DOMIN8R
03-15-2013, 08:15 PM
I'm making a mental note of all those who have posted in this, and other threads, who indicated that they believe that KP won't be signing an Argentinian in the next couple of weeks (because Payne is doing one or several agents a favour pretending that he is) so that I can apologize to them for calling them out. Or - is it the other way around? :poke:

ensco
03-15-2013, 09:18 PM
I'm making a mental note of all those who have posted in this, and other threads, who indicated that they believe that KP won't be signing an Argentinian in the next couple of weeks (because Payne is doing one or several agents a favour pretending that he is) so that I can apologize to them for calling them out. Or - is it the other way around? :poke:

You know my slogan ... often wrong, but never in doubt!

DOMIN8R
03-16-2013, 04:09 AM
You know my slogan ... often wrong, but never in doubt!

Excellent! I love it.

Stress
03-17-2013, 03:48 PM
Looks like Urruti is an unused sub for NOB today. If the deal is "virtually done", seems weird that he's still dressing. I wonder if there's anyone else they might be signing instead.

moralis
03-18-2013, 12:26 PM
Looks like Maximiliano Urruti has been cleared of any racism charges:

Ralph Hannah ‏@paraguayralph (https://twitter.com/paraguayralph) CONMEBOL rejected Salustiano Candia's racism claims against Argentine Maxi Urruti - his agent believes they don't take Paraguayans seriously.

https://twitter.com/paraguayralph/status/313613198072897536

DangerRed
03-18-2013, 12:26 PM
Anyone else a little perturbed that although Payne said on March 12 that a signing was a "day or two" away on the young Argentinian player, we've got nothing so far?

dmacd
03-18-2013, 01:16 PM
Anyone else a little perturbed that although Payne said on March 12 that a signing was a "day or two" away on the young Argentinian player, we've got nothing so far?
Not at all. There are a lot of reasons why a deal that appears imminent can fall through. He doesn't owe us all the details. He's delivered on plenty of quality signings already.

TOBOR !
03-18-2013, 01:16 PM

Not as much as I am that Urruti is being floated as a DP.

JuliquE
03-18-2013, 01:17 PM
I would be lying if I told you I didn't feel, at least, somewhat similarly.. but, the difference, now, being that we presently have, what I feel are, the right people in place in our FO and this leads me to believe that, if there is any issue/delay, it's because it is in the best interest of the club; not far-fetched, when you look at the quality of players brought in, so far, and, more importantly, the contracts they've come in with.

TOBOR !
03-18-2013, 01:23 PM
Neither here, nor there, just a list of players with the same agent as Urruti : http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/stars-discovery-gmbh/details/berater_1867.html

and the roster of N.O.B : http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/club-atletico-newells-old-boys/startseite/verein_1286.html (Maxi Rodriguez jumps off the page).

ManUtd4ever
03-18-2013, 01:35 PM

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Payne has delivered on his previous promises regarding player acquisitions when it seemed as though all was quiet on that front.

Based on Nelsen's comments in Montreal, we can expect up to four imminent player acquisitions in the near future.

DangerRed
03-18-2013, 02:36 PM
Neither here, nor there, just a list of players with the same agent as Urruti : http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/stars-discovery-gmbh/details/berater_1867.html

and the roster of N.O.B : http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/club-atletico-newells-old-boys/startseite/verein_1286.html (Maxi Rodriguez jumps off the page).

Whoa. There's a team named "PETROJET" in the Egyptian Premier League? We should immediately import their starting XI. That club name is BOSS.

reggie
03-18-2013, 02:51 PM
i think he would count has a under 23 dp ,which would be a 150k hit.

notthesun
03-18-2013, 02:54 PM
Could just be they had to get the racism claims sorted before bringing him in.

Regardless, I'm not worried.

Pint
03-18-2013, 02:57 PM
Hopefully they can get him in this week so we can have a week of practicing with a full lineup.

razor787
03-18-2013, 03:07 PM
There is a 'Players Gala' tonight, with a video stream. It would be a great way to announce the signing of a new DP. If it happens this week, I think it will happen tonight (even if his international transfer certificate hasn't come through yet)

DangerRed
03-18-2013, 03:27 PM
There is a 'Players Gala' tonight, with a video stream. It would be a great way to announce the signing of a new DP. If it happens this week, I think it will happen tonight (even if his international transfer certificate hasn't come through yet)

Not a bad theory. And they did a sort of "soft unveil" of three signings at the home kit launch party, so this would be in keeping with that. Perhaps we'll see something tonight/tomorrow.

jazzy
03-18-2013, 10:52 PM
nothing tonight....:(

Lucky Strike
03-19-2013, 10:00 AM
Kurtis Larson ‏@KurtLarSUN Rozeboom, Hustedt, JBB all gone. #TFC (http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/search?q=%23TFC&src=hash)

Kurtis Larson ‏@KurtLarSUN Richter remains in camp. Outside back depth? #TFC (http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/search?q=%23TFC&src=hash) #TorontoFC (http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/search?q=%23TorontoFC&src=hash)

John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro
Richter only guy still on trial at #TFC (http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/search?q=%23TFC&src=hash) today.

Kurtis Larson ‏@KurtLarSUN No new Argentines are at the #TFC (http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/search?q=%23TFC&src=hash) training facility.

Pint
03-19-2013, 10:23 AM
TFC released Stinson as well.

T-boy
03-19-2013, 10:25 AM

Didn't see that coming, but also not at all surprised.

Pint
03-19-2013, 10:29 AM
Didn't see that coming, but also not at all surprised.

Surprised they couldn't work out a loan deal instead.

PopePouri
03-19-2013, 10:32 AM
Surprised they couldn't work out a loan deal instead.

Wasn't he injured most of last season? Most likely that hampered his development.

[NBF]
03-19-2013, 10:41 AM
Is it possible that Henry and Emory might be gone too?

Ajax TFC
03-19-2013, 10:59 AM
;1567107']Is it possible that Henry and Emory might be gone too?
And why on earth would they do that? Emory is our only real LB cover besides Ecks switching sides, and Henry is one of the top CB prospects. Neither is comparable to Stinson in any way other than being young. Maybe they'll release Bekker and Welshman too. They already said that they traded the top pick because they rated Henry and Agboss higher than Farrell

T-boy
03-19-2013, 11:00 AM
;1567107']Is it possible that Henry and Emory might be gone too?

That would probably be a bit unfair on Emory seeing as Nelson has never seen him play live. I suspect they will let him come back to fitness before making a decision on him.

I think Henry has more potential than Stinson so will probably stay with the club.

Red CB Toronto
03-19-2013, 11:20 AM
So this would mean that the Reds have more international spots than we initially thought.

Kurtis Larson ‏@KurtLarSUN (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN)
Cesar and Russell both have green cards. #TFC (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TFC&src=hash)

T-boy
03-19-2013, 11:29 AM
Russel has a green card? What?! :o

notthesun
03-19-2013, 11:31 AM
The plot thickens... Larson & Molinaro both reporting Cochrane said he doesn't expect the Argentinian forward to arrive before the L.A. Galaxy match (March 30th).

Morlesio14
03-19-2013, 11:32 AM
Yess more spots. Look at our coach http://www.futhead.com/fifa/players/54/

Red CB Toronto
03-19-2013, 11:34 AM
Russel has a green card? What?! :o
Apparently he does, which makes it huge for the Reds. I always thought if someone one had to go to open up an International spot it would be him or Morgan. But after reading the Nelson quotes regarding his strong play this past weekend I became convinced he would stick. Now with this info, even more I think my view regarding him with the Reds has completely changed. Man I even see him having a very good chance to overtake Ashtone and start on the back line.

maninb
03-19-2013, 11:42 AM

Good he was excess baggage....Seen him play many times on the Canadian U-21s...bloody HOPELESS....

Ajax TFC
03-19-2013, 12:03 PM
The plot thickens... Larson & Molinaro both reporting Cochrane said he doesn't expect the Argentinian forward to arrive before the L.A. Galaxy match (March 30th).
Translation: Cochrane fucked up the paperwork

tfcleeds
03-19-2013, 12:06 PM
I was rather hoping Cochrane wasn't involved in any paperwork, unless it involved making travel arrangements for the team, or booking hotels.

Derko
03-19-2013, 12:09 PM
^ or ordering coffees

Ajax TFC
03-19-2013, 12:30 PM
I was rather hoping Cochrane wasn't involved in any paperwork, unless it involved making travel arrangements for the team, or booking hotels.
You sure he can even do that? (#4)
http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2852&d=1362624886

PopePouri
03-19-2013, 12:36 PM
Nelsen says Argentine club is going through administration, which is why things are taking so long with the new player - Kurtis Larson (@KurtLarSUN) March 19, 2013

Pint
03-19-2013, 12:39 PM
any idea what "going through administration" means?

Yohan
03-19-2013, 12:41 PM
any idea what "going through administration" means?
basically bankruptcy

Nuvinho
03-19-2013, 12:47 PM
Is Newell Old Boys going through Administration? Or maybe its another team, which means Urruti wasn't the guy.

Abou Sky
03-19-2013, 12:56 PM
I can't find anything about any Argentine clubs going through Bankruptcy, any spanish speakers?

Ajax TFC
03-19-2013, 12:58 PM
Is Newell Old Boys going through Administration? Or maybe its another team, which means Urruti wasn't the guy.
I don't recall Payne ever confirming that Urruti was the guy. Everyone is just assuming he is because someone else said that TFC was trying to get him

Lucky Strike
03-19-2013, 01:56 PM
Kurtis Larson ‏@KurtLarSUNNelsen also hinted today there will likely be more players released. In the wake of Stinson, more tough decisions. #TFC (http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/search?q=%23TFC&src=hash)

Who might be going?

moralis
03-19-2013, 01:58 PM
Kurt Larson mentions on twitter that it's Urruti's club that's in administration?

Kurtis Larson ‏@KurtLarSUN (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN) 17m (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN/status/314083591585931265) To sum up today: Cesar/Russell domestic, Urutti hold up because of his club, Stinson out, Richter still here, Nelsen satisfied w/ 3pts #TFC (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TFC&src=hash)

https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN/status/314083591585931265

If anyone can find information about Newell's Old Boys going into administration or having financial problems please post in this thread

19Barrett19
03-19-2013, 02:01 PM
Weadaman and braun I dont think they are on guaranteed contracts

Yohan
03-19-2013, 02:04 PM
Weadaman and braun I dont think they are on guaranteed contracts
you are wrong in case of Braun

Guaranteed Contracts
The CBA signed in 2010 provides a guaranteed contract for all players who are at least 24 years old and have a minimum of three years of service with MLS.

http://www.dynamotheory.com/2012/3/22/2742229/mls-101-re-entry-draft-contracts-right-of-refusal-and-the-cba

ManUtd4ever
03-19-2013, 02:05 PM
Well, it stands to reason that depth players left over from the previous regime with less than 3 years experience in MLS will be the most likely candidates to be released due to the CBA provisions. It would be the most cost effective manner in which to open roster spots and create cap flexibility.

My guess is that the likes of Wiedeman and Emory are on the way out shortly.

notthesun
03-19-2013, 02:06 PM
Kurtis Larson ‏@KurtLarSUNNelsen also hinted today there will likely be more players released. In the wake of Stinson, more tough decisions. #TFC (http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/search?q=%23TFC&src=hash)

Who might be going?

Wiedeman is most likely for me. Hasn't seen a minute of playing time so far.

Beyond him I'm not sure. Braun? Seems like he'd have enough value to at least get us something via a trade. I think Lambe is safe for now. Emory is a possibility, but he's our only cover at LB (unless we use Russell there). And I'm not sure we'd release any of the new signings so soon after bringing them in... maybe one of Osorio, Morgan, or Bennett? Seems too unlikely, that would make them pure panic moves and I don't think that's how Payne operates.

Koevermans? :(

Oldtimer
03-19-2013, 02:24 PM
Koevermans? :(

The MLS CBA prohibits releasing an injured player.

Abou Sky
03-19-2013, 02:30 PM
Only way DK is not going to play for us this year is if he is unable and we can do the injured player thingy dingy (I forget specifics and don't feel like looking up now)

We already did our 1 buy out with Frings (99% sure on this) and I am positive you can't buy out a player during the season

notthesun
03-19-2013, 02:33 PM
I thought the deal with Frings was that it was, financially, a buyout, but officially he retired so we sort of danced around the whole buyout thing.

Yohan
03-19-2013, 02:49 PM
I thought the deal with Frings was that it was, financially, a buyout, but officially he retired so we sort of danced around the whole buyout thing.
either way, buying out Koevermans would still count towards cap hit now (and this has been said like 10 times before)

DangerRed
03-19-2013, 02:52 PM

Thought the same, that we still get a DP buyout. I think we'll still see Danny K gone once he's healthy and again occupying that valuable international slot and salary hit, but that probably won't happen until June and in the nearer term, Wiedeman and Braun are definitely on the bubble.

Stouffville_RPB
03-19-2013, 02:59 PM
Stinson is just the next victim in a long line of academy players that have left TFC simply because they have no where else to go. Players that graduate from the academy but need further development before actually being able to contribute to the first team. No real reserve team, no U23/21 team, no affiliation with a lower league team, no loans.

Matt Stinson
Keith Makabuya
Stefan Vukovic
Oscar Cordon
Nicholas Lindsay

As for the cuts on the horizon...Quillan Roberts

tfcleeds
03-19-2013, 03:02 PM
Just to confirm, was Braun signed pre- or post-Payne?

razor787
03-19-2013, 03:03 PM
Quillian should never have been signed. Not at all ready. He was brought in on a panic. Even if Kocic and the backup were both injured, he still wouldn't have seen game time. They would have gone to the MLS keeper reserve pool.

Yohan
03-19-2013, 03:04 PM
Just to confirm, was Braun signed pre- or post-Payne?
notthesun
03-19-2013, 03:07 PM
either way, buying out Koevermans would still count towards cap hit now (and this has been said like 10 times before)

Yeah, I don't see the benefit in buying him out for half a year when his contract is about to expire anyway and we probably won't be hurting for cap space. Just threw his name out there since nothing is impossible I guess.

tfcleeds
03-19-2013, 03:07 PM
^Not that I care whether he stays or not, but just seems weird that the first signing under Payne might leave the club before even playing a competitive match...

Benficachop20
03-19-2013, 03:13 PM
Stinson is just the next victim in a long line of academy players that have left TFC simply because they have no where else to go. Players that graduate from the academy but need further development before actually being able to contribute to the first team. No real reserve team, no U23/21 team, no affiliation with a lower league team, no loans.

Matt Stinson
Keith Makabuya
Stefan Vukovic
Oscar Cordon
Nicholas Lindsay

As for the cuts on the horizon...Quillan Roberts

Vukovic is actually with the Slask Wroclaw reserve team, Feel bad for the others for their career may already be over.

Ivy
03-19-2013, 03:17 PM
I'm gonna predict and call for 2 midfields to be the next to go. Dunfield, Hall, Lambe or wiedeman. At which point TFC will announce 2 new signings. 10 days will pass and TFC will announce a third signing, a young DP. Ephraim will take the LM position and the Argentinian will come in behind earnshaw.

Yohan
03-19-2013, 03:18 PM
^Not that I care whether he stays or not, but just seems weird that the first signing under Payne might leave the club before even playing a competitive match...
I suppose you can put Braun under 'panic buy'. KP had a look at the roster and was just shocked at what he saw. So he grabbed first player that even remotely improved the roster.

I said it then and I'll say it again now. Justin Braun is not good enough for TFC

Yohan
03-19-2013, 03:19 PM
I'm gonna predict and call for 2 midfields to be the next to go. Dunfield, Hall, Lambe or wiedeman. At which point TFC will announce 2 new signings. 10 days will pass and TFC will announce a third signing, a young DP. Ephraim will take the LM position and the Argentinian will come in behind earnshaw.
If you can find buyers for Dunfield, Hall or Lambe or Wiedeman, you should be the GM! ;)

Stouffville_RPB
03-19-2013, 03:22 PM
Quillian should never have been signed. Not at all ready. He was brought in on a panic. Even if Kocic and the backup were both injured, he still wouldn't have seen game time. They would have gone to the MLS keeper reserve pool.

Don't disagree with anything you have said.

100% disagree with how the TFC academy basically gives up on the development of players after 18.

This is a question for another day but...Can you really promote your academy by saying you've signed X number of players to the first team when you only do it to meet roster/cap requirements, not because you've trained them to be good enough to become professional?

Stouffville_RPB
03-19-2013, 03:26 PM
Vukovic found his own way to become a pro. My statement was more that TFC could actually develop these players further after 18 but choose not to.

Abou Sky
03-19-2013, 03:29 PM
Don't disagree with anything you have said.

100% disagree with how the TFC academy basically gives up on the development of players after 18.

This is a question for another day but...Can you really promote your academy by saying you've signed X number of players to the first team when you only do it to meet roster/cap requirements, not because you've trained them to be good enough to become professional?

+1

Again, why are they not in PDL or something? I am not nearly as up on amatuer/semi-pro as many here but it seems to me that a second team is not that big a deal.

OgtheDim
03-19-2013, 03:47 PM
Wait a second, don't we have a U-23 academy team now?

Alonso
03-19-2013, 03:55 PM

Yeah I definitely read that on here...

Why wouldn't Stinson be moved there?

denime
03-19-2013, 03:55 PM
+1

Again, why are they not in PDL or something? I am not nearly as up on amatuer/semi-pro as many here but it seems to me that a second team is not that big a deal.

They can't get PDL team in GTA,Toronto Lynx have the Territorial rights for GTA,and Hamilton has PDL team too.

Greatest Ripoff
03-19-2013, 03:56 PM

according the website it is "coming soon".

denime
03-19-2013, 03:56 PM
Yeah I definitely read that on here...

Why wouldn't Stinson be moved there?

He is under the pro-MLS contarct,I'm sure MLS has some stupid rule about that too.

Auzzy
03-19-2013, 03:58 PM
Not happy personally that so many home-grown players have been signed but then dropped, often after minimal playing time. Two things to put this in context though:
- How common is this in other MLS teams? Maybe it happens more often than we realize?

- For TFC, of course it's been related to the constant coaching/management turnover, just like the extreme general player turnover we've had. Home-grown players will almost always be mid- to long-term prospects. Management has to make a guess about a player's development potential, sign them, and be patient. Very likely that new management sees things differently. Until we finally keep a coaching/management team around for more than a year or two, TFC will continue hiring & firing young prospects while hardly developing them.

Alonso
03-19-2013, 04:25 PM
They can't get PDL team in GTA,Toronto Lynx have the Territorial rights for GTA,and Hamilton has PDL team too.

They should start making development deals with both these teams then...

OgtheDim
03-19-2013, 04:32 PM
Any attempt to deal with the Lynx is going to take a few years to get past regime's taste out of the mouth of Lynx ownership. Cochrane might need to be let go for that to happen.

Richard
03-19-2013, 05:20 PM
If we had a separate "Dunfield discussion" thread im thinking it would rival the Dero fiasco one, Dunfield seems to really hit a nerve.

Ajax TFC
03-19-2013, 05:24 PM
Any attempt to deal with the Lynx is going to take a few years to get past regime's taste out of the mouth of Lynx ownership.
Or maybe MLSE could buy the team out.

Cochrane might need to be let go for that to happen.
And how is that a problem? Just one more reason to can the cock

T-boy
03-19-2013, 05:24 PM
I doubt there will EVER be a day when all fans like all the players at TFC. It seems that there is always one player that "fans" like to hate-on! It's always been that way at TFC! I'm sure if we won every game, there would still be a player that is hated! Maybe its a toronto sports fan thing????

sdcfan18
03-19-2013, 07:43 PM
I doubt there will EVER be a day when all fans like all the players at TFC. It seems that there is always one player that "fans" like to hate-on! It's always been that way at TFC! I'm sure if we won every game, there would still be a player that is hated! Maybe its a toronto sports fan thing????

I think you hit the nail on the head. We've been sold on our teams being "one player away" for so long, it's only natural to hate on certain players. I think it's more a Toronto thing than a TFC thing.

Morlesio14
03-19-2013, 09:00 PM

Hopefully there will be a day. Sigggggghhhhh

gracos
03-20-2013, 08:23 AM
Apparently Darel Russell counts as a domestic player according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MLS_International_Roster_Slots

Wooster_TFC
03-20-2013, 09:22 AM
Apparently Darel Russell counts as a domestic player according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MLS_International_Roster_Slots

Yes, it was quoted at practice the other day that both Russell and Cesar have green cards.

Ultra & Proud
03-20-2013, 09:31 AM

Ahhh so that's where our mysterious extra international roster spot comes from. Totally forgot about those Huckerby times.

Ajax TFC
03-20-2013, 11:55 AM
That total international slot count doesn't make sense. It shows that we gained one in a trade, and we lost one to Vancouver for Hassli. So where does the ninth one come from then?

mowe
03-20-2013, 12:20 PM
That total international slot count doesn't make sense. It shows that we gained one in a trade, and we lost one to Vancouver for Hassli. So where does the ninth one come from then?

No one knows, probably in a trade where it wasn't mentioned in the press release. Neil Davidson tweeted that the club told him they have 9 spots and are using 8. Although considering Russell has a green card you'd have to count Koef using a spot to make it to 8. In any case we have one spot open and two easy targets in Lambe and T. Morgan for more.

EDIT: This was in Davidson's latest article:

Teams start with eight international sports but can add or subtract that number via trade. Toronto has an extra via a trade with Houston. The slot reverts to the Dynamo next season. Toronto will get that slot back, however, since one previously sent to Vancouver in a trade is due to come back in 2014.

Oldtimer
03-20-2013, 12:34 PM
Any attempt to deal with the Lynx is going to take a few years to get past regime's taste out of the mouth of Lynx ownership. Cochrane might need to be let go for that to happen.

Truth. The Hartrells (Lynx owners) lost millions partly due to some not so friendly FO decisions. TFC would have to compensate them, and it really would be the right thing to do.

The Hartrells had offered turnkey to TFC a fully-functioning academy, one that had turned out some great talent (like DeRo, Stalteri). All TFC needed was to cover the bills. It would have given TFC an enormous head-start in 2006-2007.

The Hartrells didn't run the Lynx to make money (in fact they lost a lot), they did it to support Canadian soccer. Mo and Cochrane wouldn't talk to them and economically forced the Lynx out of D2, where the Hartrells lost the value of their franchise. Then they allegedly pillaged the OSA rep teams to start their own academy. It's a really shady and disreputable thing, one of many from the Mo era.

19Barrett19
03-21-2013, 04:23 PM
I don't think we would get new news on player signings until Monday... just have a feeling.

Walms
03-21-2013, 07:25 PM
Truth. The Hartrells (Lynx owners) lost millions partly due to some not so friendly FO decisions. TFC would have to compensate them, and it really would be the right thing to do.

The Hartrells had offered turnkey to TFC a fully-functioning academy, one that had turned out some great talent (like DeRo, Stalteri). All TFC needed was to cover the bills. It would have given TFC an enormous head-start in 2006-2007.

The Hartrells didn't run the Lynx to make money (in fact they lost a lot), they did it to support Canadian soccer. Mo and Cochrane wouldn't talk to them and economically forced the Lynx out of D2, where the Hartrells lost the value of their franchise. Then they allegedly pillaged the OSA rep teams to start their own academy. It's a really shady and disreputable thing, one of many from the Mo era.

Will our U23 team run into any conficts with a Lynx's Aacadamy program? I read somewhere that they have regonal rights for Toronto above a TFC acadamy... dose this mean we will have to look outside of Ontario for our Acadamy?

Yohan
03-21-2013, 07:39 PM
any spanish speakers doing detective work on which Argentinian club is in administration?

Greatest Ripoff
03-21-2013, 08:48 PM
any spanish speakers doing detective work on which Argentinian club is in administration?

you could try contacting hand of pod on twitter.

https://twitter.com/HandOfPod

Oldtimer
03-21-2013, 10:07 PM
Will our U23 team run into any conficts with a Lynx's Aacadamy program? I read somewhere that they have regonal rights for Toronto above a TFC acadamy... dose this mean we will have to look outside of Ontario for our Acadamy?

Only if they were trying to run something in the USL leagues (including the PDL).

iy12l
03-22-2013, 06:59 AM
i got a dream that Terry Dunfield got released... i hope its true!

sdcfan18
03-22-2013, 08:41 AM
i got a dream that Terry Dunfield got released... i hope its true!

Of all the players we have under contract, you feel that Dunfield is the piece that is hurting us most? I personally disagree and think that most here feel he has something to contribute.

Ultra & Proud
03-22-2013, 08:54 AM
Of all the players we have under contract, you feel that Dunfield is the piece that is hurting us most? I personally disagree and think that most here feel he has something to contribute.

Exactly. A Canadian with a low contract who can fill a role. Enough with the idiocy of complaining about Dunfield already. The guy has been in MLS for around 3 seasons now and has managed to start or at worst be a used substitution for every single manager he has had in both Vancouver and here including Winter who values technical ability over all else. I would prefer to think that the four managers he has played under in his MLS career are a bit smarter and more Football educated than the people who post on these boards so let's leave it at that.

T-boy
03-22-2013, 08:56 AM

I'm not a mod here, but I don't think I'm out of turn suggesting that every time we read somebody's comments about hating Dunfield, we should just ignore it. Otherwise every thread is going to end up a giant argument about Dunfield, even if the thread isn't originally about him! Love him or hate him, Terry is a TFC player.

bigredone
03-22-2013, 09:09 AM
Terry's Football Club! On the pitch, off the pitch, and coming off the pitch he always has time for fans from what I experienced.

Canary10
03-22-2013, 09:28 AM
I really don't understand why so many people hate Dunfield so much. I totally agree he's not a starter on this team, but he's a perfectly decent 75th minute sub. He's been put in the position of starting due to injuries and the fact that we don't have a commanding central midfielder with presence and vision. Why take that out on him?

Personally, I think Richard Eckersley deserves to get the flack Dunfield does. His forward runs are aimless, his crossing is shit, he's overly aggressive and always goes through the backs of people giving up fouls in dangerous areas, and he costs a lot of money. I can't figure out why people love him so much and hate Dunny.

Ultra & Proud
03-22-2013, 09:56 AM
I really don't understand why so many people hate Dunfield so much. I totally agree he's not a starter on this team, but he's a perfectly decent 75th minute sub. He's been put in the position of starting due to injuries and the fact that we don't have a commanding central midfielder with presence and vision. Why take that out on him?

Personally, I think Richard Eckersley deserves to get the flack Dunfield does. His forward runs are aimless, his crossing is shit, he's overly aggressive and always goes through the backs of people giving up fouls in dangerous areas, and he costs a lot of money. I can't figure out why people love him so much and hate Dunny.

I think because when Winter was canned a few people targeted Dunfield as the "Mariner's" type of no talent hack and it snowballed. I find on all the boards that once a small group starts having a go at a certain player for whatever reason (factual or not) and multiple threads spiral into 'player X' bashing that the sentiment generally spreads and then the lemmings follow. Then when pressed most folks will point to whatever argument the original bashers presented, in Dunfield's case that he can't pass, can't shoot, and can't run. And you are 100% correct, Eckersley should be found guilty of all of the same offenses minus the running part but makes up for it with poor positioning and he costs almost 5x as much as Dunny and also uses an international spot. And he is the reigning player of the year.

Corpand
03-22-2013, 10:06 AM

Dunfield has started to grow on me this season. I believe he divided the fanbase so much last year was because he was played in a formation that was not playing towards his strengths. This year he is allowed to sit back more, bring his head up and pick out passes for the wings and sometimes chip it over for Earnshaw. I have paid special attention to him specifically when we play and he does things only an older, more experienced player knows how to do.

Cuts off passing lanes in 2v1 situations effectively
Dictates the pace of the game at times effectively
Actually connects his through passes well and has created a few dangerous situations. He just needs to tone it down emotionally at times, I feel the team`s mood greatly impacts him and causes him to cause rash tackles (when we are chasing a game).

I think if he stays injury free, he has the potential to stay on this team for a while longer. The man needs to keep his stamina up though, he will lose much of his appeal if he starts getting winded around the 60th min. Now he just huffs and puffs away the full 90. I like.

Derko
03-22-2013, 10:16 AM

In my humble opinion, one could say that TFC does not have the perfect player that we can all praise, there are those that prefer one player above another, Dunfield is a low cost bench player to be utilized when needed, Eckersley has his qualities, does he not, how many times has he made that clutch tackle at the right moment, more than most of our defenders, again in my opinion, Dunfield has done the same, made clutch tackles and timely goals. Let's face it if we had a team of Superstars, they wouldn't be playing in the MLS, would they.
Just a little rant, because, most of the discussion is the same, just worded differently on any given day.

ManUtd4ever
03-22-2013, 10:18 AM
I think Dunfield is the most undeserving whipping boy in the history of professional sports in this city.

The guy wears his heart on his sleeve for our club. It's not his fault that he has been forced into a starting role more often than not because of a lack of depth on our squad. Furthermore, he has not been a liability on the pitch as a starter.

The incessant criticism of Dunfield is beyond ridiculous. I hope we retain him for a few more years as a backup defensive midfielder once our roster is set.

MartinUtd
03-22-2013, 10:25 AM
You guys are having a thoughtful, reasoned debate about Terry's role on the team and I enjoyed reading it. Could we continue in this thread?

http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showthread.php?33815-The-Terry-Dunfield-Omnibus-Thread&p=1568047#post1568047

MartinUtd
03-22-2013, 12:31 PM
I don't know what this article is trying to say but it mentions Toronto FC and some 17 year old Czech forward in the Ajax system. Can anyone make sense of this?

Google Translation:

EXCLUSIVE - Vaclav Cerny will end next week to admire during the AEGON Future Cup in Amsterdam. The purchase of Ajax will be there with the B1 Ajax took office at the age of including Tottenham Hotspur FC and Toronto. In January it was announced that Cerny in 2014, when he was sixteen years old, the transition of the Czech FK Pribram to Ajax to make. It is unknown how many Ajax FK Pribram will pay for the left-footed winger. It is in any case only a training allowance.

The Czech was back in June internship at the C1 of Ajax. In a practice match against Real Madrid C1 knew Cerny time just before time winning 4-3 inside cups

Source: http://www.ajaxshowtime.com/hoofdnieuws/69128/cerny-te-zien-tijdens-future-cup.html

UEFA profile: http://www.uefa.com/under17/season=2013/teams/player=250055100/index.html

Pint
03-22-2013, 12:40 PM
I think that it is talking about the tournament the academy is going to be playing in. Nothing to do with the player i believe

jloome
03-22-2013, 03:02 PM
I think Dunfield is the most undeserving whipping boy in the history of professional sports in this city.

The guy wears his heart on his sleeve for our club. It's not his fault that he has been forced into a starting role more often than not because of a lack of depth on our squad. Furthermore, he has not been a liability on the pitch as a starter.

The incessant criticism of Dunfield is beyond ridiculous. I hope we retain him for a few more years as a backup defensive midfielder once our roster is set.

I think people who criticize him are the most undeserved ... blah, blah, blah superfluous hyperbole.

People criticize him for starting, not for who he is. He caused the go ahead goal in the Montreal game because he lost track of Davy Arnaud, who got behind him by two paces and was able to set up the goal. He's not a good enough midfielder to start week in and out.

That's what MOST (like 99%) of people say about him. Occasionally some 'nad with too much Red Bull in him says he should be crucified or some other dumb, immature, pointless shit.

But it's equally intellectually unfair to suggest that behavior is rabid.

If he wasn't starting, he wouldn't be incessantly criticized. I actually think he's had some moments of really good play this year. Do they make up for the ball-watching deficiencies I know he'll contribute to our defense this year? Probably not. But that's an argument based on observation, not hyperbole about how he deserves the death of a thousand long knives.

Geez, can't an issue just be an issue, occasionally, and not two extremes picking easy polar opposites and squabbling? Can criticizing a player's performance not be equated with the Crucifixion? Equally, can a player's shortcomings not be equated with him being the social and sporting equivalent of the ebola virus?

Just imagine how varied the conversations might be; we might all actually talk about the specifics of why we do or don't think he should be in the team.

burlington Red
03-23-2013, 09:24 AM

I am at a loss as to why so many TFC fans have it in for Ecks. To say his forward runs are aimless and his is crossing is poor is wrong in my opinion. I'll give you the money issue but certainly not football ability. The exact same criticisms you give can be labelled at the very best full backs in the game today. I'm a Utd fan and the exact criticisms you levelled at Ecks can be attributed to Raphael, who is argubaly one of our better players this year. If people have it in for Ecks due to his wages then fair enough, they are too high, but don't try and back up with saying his football isn't up to scratch.

v00d00daddy
03-23-2013, 10:29 AM
I am at a loss as to why so many TFC fans have it in for Ecks. To say his forward runs are aimless and his is crossing is poor is wrong in my opinion. I'll give you the money issue but certainly not football ability. The exact same criticisms you give can be labelled at the very best full backs in the game today. I'm a Utd fan and the exact criticisms you levelled at Ecks can be attributed to Raphael, who is argubaly one of our better players this year. If people have it in for Ecks due to his wages then fair enough, they are too high, but don't try and back up with saying his football isn't up to scratch.

Well....if you're an outside back one would expect you to be able to run the sidelines with pace, vision and put in dangerous balls on a semi consistent basis. He doesn't do any of these things. He runs a hell of a lot though.

So...if you're an outside back who doesn't excel at these things than one would hope that you can defend really well. By that I mean, be sound positionally, not give away cheap fouls and win balls and get the counter attack going.

He doesn't do any of that particularly well either. He gets by on flat out effort and determination. Those are great qualities to have but it's just not enough. Especially considering how much money he's making.

Isn't he one of the highest paid defenders in the league?

Soccerpro
03-23-2013, 12:49 PM
Well....if you're an outside back one would expect you to be able to run the sidelines with pace, vision and put in dangerous balls on a semi consistent basis. He doesn't do any of these things. He runs a hell of a lot though.

So...if you're an outside back who doesn't excel at these things than one would hope that you can defend really well. By that I mean, be sound positionally, not give away cheap fouls and win balls and get the counter attack going.

He doesn't do any of that particularly well either. He gets by on flat out effort and determination. Those are great qualities to have but it's just not enough. Especially considering how much money he's making.

Isn't he one of the highest paid defenders in the league?

This^. Plus the fact he consistently hoofs the ball to no one. I'd rather have a 70-100k right back and use the extra money more wisely.

Abou Sky
03-23-2013, 01:05 PM
My $.02 on Eck, he is good, he just isn't worth what we pay him.

At best we are stuck with his cap hit until 2014 season though so he still defo deserves to be on the pitch, he may be one of the best paid defenders in MLS, but he is also likely top 10 in quality as well so not too crazy.

If we were to lose Eck we would need a super solid DM to make up for a little less quality on the right, which would likely be the same money as we pay him.

MLS is a pain with the salary cap, I am sure we could have gotten away with paying him $100k less and still had him but until a few months ago we had no GM so we have what we have.

Gazza
03-23-2013, 01:09 PM
We have two wing backs that love to get forward yet neither has the ability to get a proper cross in. I like Ecks, but that drives me up the wall.

Abou Sky
03-23-2013, 02:28 PM
We have two wing backs that love to get forward yet neither has the ability to get a proper cross in. I like Ecks, but that drives me up the wall.

Morgan puts in gorgeous crosses, haven't seen too much of it so far this year but last year if he had someone besides RJ in the box to finish he would have had a nice number of assists.

prizby
03-23-2013, 02:51 PM

so morgan being 4th overall last year of all defenders in assists means he can't put a ball in? I guess the rest of the league is shit as well

Morgan puts in gorgeous crosses, haven't seen too much of it so far this year but last year if he had someone besides RJ in the box to finish he would have had a nice number of assists.

more danny koevermans getting on the end of his crosses.

Red CB Toronto
03-23-2013, 03:50 PM
I am looking forward to being back at Bmo next Saturday.

Pint
03-23-2013, 10:54 PM
I am looking forward to being back at Bmo next Saturday.

+10,000 The weather looks good right now but even if it isn't who cares. I'm ready to be back home supporting the reds.

Gilberto9
03-24-2013, 12:11 PM
What's the situation on the Argentine players we were close to signing?

69Chevy396
03-24-2013, 12:31 PM

"once our roster is set": And how long will that take? As demonstrated by the expansion teams that followed TFC, it does not take 7 years to build a contender in MLS. Unless of course you live in Toronto where building a winning team is measured in decades, not years. Dunfield would not start on any othrt MLS club, he is simply not vry good. We don't hate the man just what he symbolizes.

mowe
03-24-2013, 12:31 PM
What's the situation on the Argentine players we were close to signing?

Argentine club is going through administration, which is what's causing the delay. Probably won't be done before LA game.

Richard
03-24-2013, 12:56 PM
So much for "A few days", Payne has got to shutup.

Morlesio14
03-24-2013, 01:12 PM

This

69Chevy396
03-24-2013, 01:40 PM
This
We should have kept the one we had. After Vitti left he became one of the best attacking mids in The Peruvian league. Ok, so it was Peru. But they probably say the same about MLS in SA.

backbeat
03-24-2013, 02:41 PM

Payne has got to keep doing what he's doing and continue to not listen to boards

Ajax TFC
03-24-2013, 03:47 PM
Payne has been way off by several weeks every time he's announced an immanent signing. I'm surprised people actually still believed him when he said that they were on the verge of signing a Argentinian DP.

backbeat
03-24-2013, 04:28 PM
Payne has been way off by several weeks every time he's announced an immanent signing. I'm surprised people actually still believed him when he said that they were on the verge of signing a Argentinian DP.

i believe that was the information at hand at the time - i really don't think he's making shit up and i firmly believe in the direction he's taking the team. shit happens, whether it's the player backing out at the last second or financial situations with the team they're negotiating with - who knows - Nelsen has said a few times in interviews recently that a number of new signings were imminent - again i believe that's what they thought and understood but something came up that either slowed it down or maybe stopped it altogether - bottom line for me is they are doing the right thing and i'm happy to wait.

Pigfynn
03-24-2013, 04:33 PM
Payne has got to keep doing what he's doing and continue to not listen to boards

There has rarely, if ever been a more accurate post in this thread.

Red CB Toronto
03-24-2013, 04:38 PM
I am looking forward to have TFC newcomer Joe Bendik autograph some photos this week. After next Saturday I hope to have get within single digits of the 151 players who have suited for the Reds in terms of signed photos. So I am always up for additions to the roster within reason any ways.

Alonso
03-24-2013, 05:35 PM
"once our roster is set": And how long will that take? As demonstrated by the expansion teams that followed TFC, it does not take 7 years to build a contender in MLS. Unless of course you live in Toronto where building a winning team is measured in decades, not years. Dunfield would not start on any othrt MLS club, he is simply not vry good. We don't hate the man just what he symbolizes.

He started for Vancouver when he played there, so you're plain wrong.

mowe
03-24-2013, 08:21 PM
He started for Vancouver when he played there, so you're plain wrong.

He actually started only 11 of 20 games for Vancouver. Clearly he was deemed expendable and traded midseason. Anyway that was two years ago on an expansion team.

Right now Dunfield is a decent depth player on a fair ($86k in 2012) contract. He's best suited to a substitute role or filling in for a game or two when necessary. He is NOT good enough to be a consistent starter on a playoff team. Especially not when paired with Jeremy Hall.

TFC sorely needs an upgrade in the middle of the park. Hopefully Cesar will provide that. Ideally we'd acquire another mid to push both Hall and Dunfield to the bench.

[NBF]
03-24-2013, 09:15 PM
Jonathan B-Borgault, I thought was a no brainer to sign with TFC. Similar with Jaime Peters. I'm shocked that Wiedeman and Dunfield together are worth more than Peters to this team. IMO, if you dont use them, then why do you sign them?

bman27
03-24-2013, 09:37 PM
;1568459']Jonathan B-Borgault, I thought was a no brainer to sign with TFC. Similar with Jaime Peters. I'm shocked that Wiedeman and Dunfield together are worth more than Peters to this team. IMO, if you dont use them, then why do you sign them?

for what it is worth, apparently peters showed up to both Vancouver and us doing his best Colin Samuel impression

Alonso
03-24-2013, 10:33 PM
He actually started only 11 of 20 games for Vancouver. Clearly he was deemed expendable and traded midseason. Anyway that was two years ago on an expansion team.

Right now Dunfield is a decent depth player on a fair ($86k in 2012) contract. He's best suited to a substitute role or filling in for a game or two when necessary. He is NOT good enough to be a consistent starter on a playoff team. Especially not when paired with Jeremy Hall.

TFC sorely needs an upgrade in the middle of the park. Hopefully Cesar will provide that. Ideally we'd acquire another mid to push both Hall and Dunfield to the bench.

Ok, so he was a starter for another MLS team then right?

mowe
03-24-2013, 10:51 PM
Ok, so he was a starter for another MLS team then right?

The original argument stated he would not start for any other MLS club. That means right now. Not two years ago on an expansion team. Where by the way he lost his starting job because he wasn't good enough.

Did you even read the rest of my post or do you not have anything meaningful to add to this discussion? I'll say it again in case you missed it: Dunfield is a depth player on a playoff team. We need to upgrade him and Hall both.

BuSaPuNk
03-24-2013, 10:53 PM
Problem with that statement is that yeah Dunfield is a depth player on a playoff team. However I think alot of us here know this team is far from that. We're a bubble team at most. We need upgrades all over the pitch.

Alonso
03-24-2013, 11:14 PM
The original argument stated he would not start for any other MLS club. That means right now. Not two years ago on an expansion team. Where by the way he lost his starting job because he wasn't good enough.

Did you even read the rest of my post or do you not have anything meaningful to add to this discussion? I'll say it again in case you missed it: Dunfield is a depth player on a playoff team. We need to upgrade him and Hall both.

Well you didn't mention this in your original argument. But besides that, how can the man start for another team and for us right now at the same time? Are you retarded? He can only start for one team at a time... it's simple causality logic. It appears that you are moving the goal posts to suit yourself.

Dunfield is a depth player. I'll give you that. But having scored 6 goals for us in all competitions last year he is the best depth player, or perhaps the best player that we have on our team right now.

How many goals did Deguzman or Frings score for us in the defensive midfield position?

justin
03-24-2013, 11:21 PM
none of this has anything to do with new player acquisitions. quit spamming the thread.

Auzzy
03-24-2013, 11:54 PM
Remember that we have a "Terry Dunfield Omnibus Thread." Here's the link to the current page: http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showthread.php?33815-The-Terry-Dunfield-Omnibus-Thread/page3

Knock yourself out over there please.

mowe
03-25-2013, 08:34 AM
No point continuing discussion with someone who says things like "But having scored 6 goals for us in all competitions last year he is the best depth player, or perhaps the best player that we have on our team right now. How many goals did Deguzman or Frings score for us in the defensive midfield position?"

Back to topic: does anyone know much about this Ryan Richter guy, only trialist right now? Larson seems to think he's replacing Stinson, but listed as a winger/forward on wiki.

Lucky Strike
03-25-2013, 09:30 AM
I believe Kurt Larson will be at TFC training this morning. Hopefully, he'll have some news regarding player acquisitions.

Red I
03-25-2013, 09:33 AM
As per twitter...

Toronto FC ‏@torontofc #TorontoFC (http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/search?q=%23TorontoFC&src=hash) adds versatile defender Ryan Richter to squad.

Jpexxx
03-25-2013, 09:47 AM
http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2013/03/reds-add-ryan-richter-roster

Oldtimer
03-25-2013, 09:49 AM
^ Bench depth only. This isn't one of the big moves.

Lucky Strike
03-25-2013, 10:15 AM
John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro 9m (http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/JohnMolinaro/status/316203886979473408) O'Dea, Bekker and Ashtone not here at practice. All UK players are back in town. Been told David Monsalve is here. Not sure if it's a trial.

John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro 7m (http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/JohnMolinaro/status/316204429625921537) Cochrane says Monsalve just training with team. Not on a trial. #TFC (http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/search?q=%23TFC&src=hash)

John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro 5m (http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/JohnMolinaro/status/316205138731732992)
No new guys on trial at #TFC (http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/search?q=%23TFC&src=hash) this morning.

OgtheDim
03-25-2013, 10:15 AM
Versatile = bench

tfcleeds
03-25-2013, 10:20 AM
Isn't Monsalve still with FC Edmonton? When does NASL season get underway?

Greatest Ripoff
03-25-2013, 10:30 AM
As per twitter...

Toronto FC ‏@torontofc #TorontoFC (http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/search?q=%23TorontoFC&src=hash) adds versatile defender Ryan Richter to squad.

So is there much difference between him and Matt Stinson other than Stinson came from the Academy and is Canadian and Richter is slightly older and American?

Abou Sky
03-25-2013, 10:36 AM
Monsalve does keeper training at my son's academy. Super guy and not worse than most MLS keepers, surprised he isn't on someone's bench.

gracos
03-25-2013, 10:37 AM
So is there much difference between him and Matt Stinson other than Stinson came from the Academy and is Canadian and Richter is slightly older and American?

Matt Stinson = Midfielder
Ryan Richter = Defender

flamehawk
03-25-2013, 10:45 AM
Monsalve does keeper training at my son's academy. Super guy and not worse than most MLS keepers, surprised he isn't on someone's bench.

I remember I really liked what I saw for that one match he played at TFC. If not for the fact that we are all filled up with GKs, I wouldn't have minded him on the roster at all. That and I remember reading about his desire to contribute to the local community. Though, it appears that he isn't starting at Edmonton - I wonder why.

Greatest Ripoff
03-25-2013, 11:01 AM
Matt Stinson = Midfielder
Ryan Richter = Defender

Matt Stinson is also a defender. Remember the game against the Red Bulls?

notthesun
03-25-2013, 11:08 AM
I'm guessing Richter is comfortable at left back. Probably depth for Morgan.

ag futbol
03-25-2013, 11:17 AM
I was never that crazy about Stinson. He was here for a couple of years and gave it a shot, it didn't work out. Didn't see anything from him that suggested he was hard done by. Perhaps just a product of the 18-23 development gap but he struggled with multiple Canadian youth teams as well. Somebody at TFC FO should be smacked around for signing that kid out of college and sending him 10 steps backwards.

Chinatownchef
03-25-2013, 11:18 AM
I'm guessing Richter is comfortable at left back. Probably depth for Morgan.

What people don't know is Richter was originally a very good striker, he had 10 goals in 45 games with the Northeasters. Maybe the Union pegged him as a defender, which really was never his strong point. If you put Ricthter as a depth striker it makes a lot of sense.

notthesun
03-25-2013, 11:50 AM
What people don't know is Richter was originally a very good striker, he had 10 goals in 45 games with the Northeasters. Maybe the Union pegged him as a defender, which really was never his strong point. If you put Ricthter as a depth striker it makes a lot of sense.

I don't see why we'd sign him with the intention of using him as a striker when we have T. Morgan, Bennett, Braun & Wiedeman on the roster, with the Argentinian forward presumably still on the way.

Abou Sky
03-25-2013, 11:58 AM
Can he possibly be better than 'the best finisher in the modern era' ?

Although WeedMan has a great name, I wouldn't miss him.

MLS.com has him listed as a forward:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/players/ryan-richter

Oldtimer
03-25-2013, 11:59 AM

Maybe he could be like Chris Pozniak was in the early days... a jack of all trades, master of none. Ideal depth for filling in those holes in the roster that pop up due to injuries, while taking up very little cap space for covering all of those positions.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c65/Finchen17/chris_pozniak_defender-1.jpg

BuSaPuNk
03-25-2013, 12:01 PM
Good player to pick up and have around though. Love the versatility of those players that can pull in holes when injuries happen. Always good to have around and on a small contract is even better.

HuTor
03-25-2013, 12:46 PM
Can he possibly be better than 'the best finisher in the modern era' ?

Although WeedMan has a great name, I wouldn't miss him.

MLS.com has him listed as a forward:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/players/ryan-richter

Yeah baby!

Even he's just the second best finisher in the modern era, I'll take him any time over the Weed Man, if he can play a bit decent midfield and defense too.
In fact, I'll take anyone over the Weed Man, who's just a waste of space on our roster.

Stress
03-25-2013, 12:59 PM

Well he's already scored for us in that reserve game vs. Notre Dame. Nice to have a defender who can also take an opportunity to score.

CountryoverClub
03-25-2013, 01:07 PM
Any updates re Jamie Peters?

Lucky Strike
03-25-2013, 01:10 PM
Any updates re Jamie Peters?

Long gone. Vancouver said he was too fat, and since he came to trial at TFC shortly afterwards, you could assume that had a big role in management passing on him as well.

Yohan
03-25-2013, 01:17 PM
Well he's already scored for us in that reserve game vs. Notre Dame. Nice to have a defender who can also take an opportunity to score.
not that i'm saying this will apply to Richter, but seems quite a few strikers end up making a decent career out of being converted fullbacks

Abou Sky
03-25-2013, 01:21 PM
not that i'm saying this will apply to Richter, but seems quite a few strikers end up making a decent career out of being converted fullbacks

Like? Not doubting you, I always kind of figured that a lot of people play striker in College because they are the best on their team and when they go pro they get put into defense/midfield etc.

Yohan
03-25-2013, 01:35 PM
Like? Not doubting you, I always kind of figured that a lot of people play striker in College because they are the best on their team and when they go pro they get put into defense/midfield etc.
Jonathan Bornstein for one. Corey Ashe of Houston. Paul Stalteri was a striker with Toronto Lynx.

Lucky Strike
03-25-2013, 01:38 PM
John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro 3m (http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/JohnMolinaro/status/316256601491267585) No update from Nelsen on the Argentine forward, BTW. #TFC (http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/search?q=%23TFC&src=hash)

Abou Sky
03-25-2013, 01:45 PM
Jonathan Bornstein for one. Corey Ashe of Houston. Paul Stalteri was a striker with Toronto Lynx.

I remember seeing Babayele Sodade in the combine last year and thinking he would be a good RB/LB

CommradePolski
03-25-2013, 02:12 PM

Kevin McKenna also.

Yohan
03-25-2013, 02:19 PM
Kevin McKenna also.
not a full back

West220Side
03-25-2013, 02:38 PM
Didn't know where to post this little tidbit of information:

I know a lot of people have been talking about how Quillan Roberts was a panic buy, and is never going to get game time but interesting enough it seems he's playing in net for the academy down in Dallas, the TFC Academy is there for a competition.

prizby
03-25-2013, 02:53 PM

Lukasz Piszczek was a striker before Jurgen Klopp made him a RB; now he's one of the best in the world.

prizby
03-25-2013, 02:56 PM
Didn't know where to post this little tidbit of information:

I know a lot of people have been talking about how Quillan Roberts was a panic buy, and is never going to get game time but interesting enough it seems he's playing in net for the academy down in Dallas, the TFC Academy is there for a competition.

there is an academy thread

http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showthread.php?33424-TFC-Academy-2013

he, looking at the academy tweets, seemed to have kept TFC in it yesterday and from the looks of it, a few more today; I know Stewart Kerr is really high on him

PopePouri
03-25-2013, 04:41 PM
there is an academy thread

http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showthread.php?33424-TFC-Academy-2013

he, looking at the academy tweets, seemed to have kept TFC in it yesterday and from the looks of it, a few more today; I know Stewart Kerr is really high on him

Apparently he nearly scored again.

Toronto FC Academy ‏@tfcacademy (https://twitter.com/tfcacademy)
Known big kick by Roberts is used. Kick upfield hits crossbar

razor787
03-25-2013, 05:02 PM
Apparently he nearly scored again.

Toronto FC Academy ‏@tfcacademy (https://twitter.com/tfcacademy)
Known big kick by Roberts is used. Kick upfield hits crossbar

Damn. Just watched the goal he scored against England. Young kid, and already has a goal, and a near goal. We should consider moving him up to the midfield.

Mr. Bigby
03-25-2013, 07:20 PM
Food for thought: http://thesunshineroom.com/2013/03/17/somewhere-in-a-parallel-universe/ re-tweeted by Jason deVos. The parallel universe where footie players critique our days at work. Remember this the next time you comment on a player who doesn't 'measure up'...

BFin
03-25-2013, 07:25 PM
Next time they pay to see me work I'll gladly allow them to critique me.

Oldtimer
03-25-2013, 07:27 PM
Food for thought: http://thesunshineroom.com/2013/03/17/somewhere-in-a-parallel-universe/ re-tweeted by Jason deVos. The parallel universe where footie players critique our days at work. Remember this the next time you comment on a player who doesn't 'measure up'...

That's a strip that makes a really good point.

An even better point.

Abou Sky
03-25-2013, 08:36 PM

People don't pay to see me work, but they pay for my finished product, and I don't mind criticism, I think that if people said to players, 'hey man, you did great but you lose your mark in the middle third of the pitch a lot' the players wouldn't mind so much. When people are rude to me about what they don't like about my stuff, I tell them to give me my goods back and never contact me again.

I am lucky enough to work for myself, but imagine if your boss were to watch you (who does pay you) and yelled out 'WTF are you doing? TWO hands when doing data entry, what is wrong with you!??' I would guess that you would have a problem with that.

Don't give me the 'they make $xxx' because 1. They don't make that much in MLS 2. Even if you made $1m/year, you likely STILL wouldn't take that crap.

Abou Sky
03-25-2013, 08:40 PM
Lukasz Piszczek was a striker before Jurgen Klopp made him a RB; now he's one of the best in the world.

Thanks guys, this is all so interesting because my son started with a new academy and wherever he played before they would put him either AM or up top as he was usually one of the better players, with the academy (Futskills, it is amazing) they put him on DM, CB, RB/LB where he seems to be doing really well (he plays all positions in practice but in games he defends)

Kind of interesting to see my 'hunch' about players ending up as strikers in college because they are the best around isn't too far from the truth.

Detroit_TFC
03-25-2013, 08:50 PM
There is a distinct lack of urgency in these rumored signing from Central and South America. Almost ready to put those rumors in my "Shit GMs Say" folder.

TFCtoMUFC
03-25-2013, 08:56 PM
People don't pay to see me work, but they pay for my finished product, and I don't mind criticism, I think that if people said to players, 'hey man, you did great but you lose your mark in the middle third of the pitch a lot' the players wouldn't mind so much. When people are rude to me about what they don't like about my stuff, I tell them to give me my goods back and never contact me again.

I am lucky enough to work for myself, but imagine if your boss were to watch you (who does pay you) and yelled out 'WTF are you doing? TWO hands when doing data entry, what is wrong with you!??' I would guess that you would have a problem with that.

Don't give me the 'they make $xxx' because 1. They don't make that much in MLS 2. Even if you made $1m/year, you likely STILL wouldn't take that crap.

Hearing a drunken, overweight, middle-aged man yell at you about how to do your job that you train almost every day for must get tiresome. Then again, playing a game for a living for more money than most people ever see in a lifetime must be the best thing ever. Give and take.

Abou Sky
03-25-2013, 09:02 PM
Hearing a drunken, overweight, middle-aged man yell at you about how to do your job that you train almost every day for must get tiresome. Then again, playing a game for a living for more money than most people ever see in a lifetime must be the best thing ever. Give and take.

I guess when you say 'most people' you mean whole world because so many of those guys make less than $100k and although getting paid to play soccer if that is what you love to do must be freaking awesome, it is still a lot of really hard work.

CommradePolski
03-25-2013, 09:20 PM
not a full back

He is a defender though. I thought you guys were talking about defenders in general.

CommradePolski
03-25-2013, 09:21 PM

Woooooo!!!!!! Polska reprezentacja!!!!!!!

Yohan
03-25-2013, 11:03 PM
http://www.torontosun.com/2013/03/25/tfc-will-catch-break-on-saturday-with-galaxy-stars-out

Richter will be first test of Onstad's eyes as a scout

VoxPopuliCosmicum
03-26-2013, 11:04 AM

I guess I missed the part where these guys were taken against their will and enslaved and forced to play footy instead of doing some other job.

BFin
03-26-2013, 11:13 AM

I actually wasn't saying anything about how much they make.

Teams pay the players for the finished product, I pay for my personal enjoyment and entertainment.

My boss critiques my performance all the time. It's called a performance review and they are aimed at making employees better. If you're saying we are bosses because we pay to watch the players...well then I believe daily performance reviews are warranted, especially in TFC's case.

@VoxPop...lol

Ajax TFC
03-26-2013, 11:30 AM
I think comparing the players to employees isn't an entirely correct comparison. Since we pay to see the players play, they are essentially the product. And like any product, we - the customers - have the right to review it, talk about it, and complain when it is below standard.

Yohan
03-26-2013, 11:34 AM
I think comparing the players to employees isn't an entirely correct comparison. Since we pay to see the players play, they are essentially the product. And like any product, we - the customers - have the right to review it, talk about it, and complain when it is below standard.
and if KP is any smart, he'd ignore most, if not all of the bitching ;)

ensco
03-26-2013, 12:47 PM

Meh. Everybody's life is hard in different ways. Most football players wouldn't trade places with most people for one second.

T-boy
03-26-2013, 01:23 PM

When I'm in my local bank and the teller is a little slow I'm going to start chanting "who ate all the pies" followed by "you don't know what you're doing"! I'm then going to throw my coffee at them and shout a lot of obscenities and expect them to improve their speed and not react to what I'm shouting at them!

Canary10
03-26-2013, 01:32 PM
When I'm in my local bank and the teller is a little slow I'm going to start chanting "who ate all the pies" followed by "you don't know what you're doing"! I'm then going to throw my coffee at them and shout a lot of obscenities and expect them to improve their speed and not react to what I'm shouting at them!

Next time I see Rob Ford, I will throw him a mickey of vodka.

Abou Sky
03-26-2013, 01:42 PM

Thanks T-Boy, I'm going to do that, those bank tellers are useless.

Carts
03-26-2013, 01:44 PM

This is true - and has NOTHING to do with the players making millions and millions or hundreds of thousands of dollars either...

I work in television, for a very well known sports network... People are constantly complaining about things on it; some I didn't do and have no say in, and some things that I did directly...

BUT, they are paying customers, and have every right to voice their opinion...

I don't make millions of dollars, or even a big salary by 'middle-class' standards, yet there's times I read on the internet about things I did "...this was a joke and piece of shit..." and I just have to take it, and try not to let it bother me (although to be honest it does)...

ALSO, I read constantly, people stating things as "fact" about my channel, and stuff I have done and they are COMPLETELY WRONG, but you just have to take it and say nothing...

They are customers - and while customers may not always be 'right', they are still customers and need to be respected as such...

Any time you step into the public eye you open yourself up to criticism, even this post will - and any time you sell something, you do so even more (be it selling a ticket, charging for a service etc)...

It is what it is...

There are pros and cons to every job - one of the (few) cons of being a professional athlete at any level is the criticism that will come with it. Whether you're Messi/Ronaldo/Gerrard or Dunfield/Frei/Morgan the level doesn't matter, the criticism will come...

mowe
03-26-2013, 01:54 PM
^Very well said. Couldn't agree more.

Gazza
03-26-2013, 01:54 PM
In real life, if you put forth a sub-standard product or service you should expect to hear about it from the paying customer. Many moons ago i worked in telemarketing, i heard way worse than Mr. De Vos. Received death threats. And i was a kid making minimum wage.

Although i don't recommend throwing a can of Keith's at a bank teller. That's ignorant in all walks of life.

Yohan
03-26-2013, 01:57 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21938151

Swindon interested in Andy Johnson for loan. Been very injury prone, haven't played in Sept, but does have lots of EPL experience.

Short term loan to have a look?

GhostKiller
03-26-2013, 01:58 PM
The player/employee comparison is interesting, but has nothing to do with TFC player movement. I blame TFC for not having more exciting signing news, if they did we would have to have conversations about Terry and cartoons.

BFin
03-26-2013, 03:02 PM

You don't pay to see the bank teller. Again, your references are completely off.

See Carts' response for an accurate depiction.

OgtheDim
03-26-2013, 03:03 PM
Who walks into a bank?

Don't any of you people use the internet?

Red I
03-26-2013, 03:17 PM
Who walks into a bank?

Don't any of you people use the internet?

Bahahahaha!!!

^ C-C-C Combo Breaker!!

T-boy
03-26-2013, 06:40 PM
You don't pay to see the bank teller. Again, your references are completely off.

See Carts' response for an accurate depiction.

I don't think my assessment is completely off at all.

I work in hospitality so have to deal with customers all the time, and have to deal with reviews online, assessments, ratings etc just like any other job. But the difference between my job and being a professional footballer is that I don't have 20,000 people surrounding my office, cheering, shouting, throwing things at me, insulting me personally, criticising my every move, being racist, homophobic, commenting on the way I run, write, do almost anything. I can't think of any other "normal" job where there is a live audience openly criticising you as a professional WHILE you are doing your job. Yes, we all have individual customers that aren't happy. But footballers (and other sports people) deal with thousands of people being extremely aggresive in the middle of their normal day job that are watching live from the sidelines. I'm not sure that's comparable to ANY other vocation!

Also, you DO pay to see the bank teller as you pay to be with your bank. If you don't like that teller you can pull all your money and investments out of that bank and go put it somewhere else. But what you can't do is stand in the bank and insult the teller and chant and throw things at them. In almost any other place other than in a sports stadium, you would be arrested for doing that. In a sports stadium, people join in with you and you are deemed normal. That same behaviour would never be tollerated in almost all other areas of life.

T-boy
03-26-2013, 06:43 PM
Next time I see Rob Ford, I will throw him a mickey of vodka.

Man, he'd love it! :D

tfcleeds
03-26-2013, 06:45 PM

What are these "bank tellers" you speak of?

leafsman
03-26-2013, 06:55 PM
I dont understand this comparing professional athletes to everyday jobs. Such public criticism and name calling is part of the job and athletes know this before becoming professional.

Its the same being a celebrity, the paparazzi follow you everywhere. If this happened to the average person we would call it stalking. People may not like the public scrutiny aspect of it but the pros of being a celebrity/athlete more than make up for that.

Abou Sky
03-26-2013, 07:03 PM
Can the argument about celebrity/athlete criticism have it's own thread?

Derko
03-26-2013, 07:56 PM
Can the argument about celebrity/athlete criticism have it's own thread?

I really hope to hear some news soon on the Argentinian, anyone heard?