PDA

View Full Version : TFC 2013 general player moves/speculation/etc.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

Jack
07-18-2013, 02:00 PM
Yup, telling the people the truth is never good for business. They dont care about winning, what they care about is maintaining the illusion and massaging this recruiting effort to ease their way into increasing ticket prices next season; "look, I know we were utter garbage in 2013, but here, look, we got this superstar defender from Iceland now, so buy your tickets, show me your credit card". I swear that prick at mlse better not call me again, this lamentable argument is the same EVERY year.
What do you expect Nelsen and Payne to say? Mathematically, we aren't eliminated yet, so of course there's still a chance so they're not necessarily lying g:D. We all know it's a snowball's chance in hell, but until mathematical elimination, I'd rather the manager save face than throw in the towel.

They are trying to attract players to come here and sign with them. Sitting there talking about the season being over at the halfway point is not going to do that.

And of course I'm not buying what they're selling, but I understand why they say what they say.

They should have done more after last season, and they should have hired a coach. Hell, why not promote Dichio, he at least has some experience now.
But they didn't. Should have isn't going to get us anywhere. Payne and Nelsen are here and they have a plan that they are executing. I'm not going to judge them on that execution until I feel justified doing so, which isn't yet, for me. What are you proposing? Fire Nelsen? Fire Payne? And do what? Let them work and let them put together the team they want. I'm tired of constant reboots and I am willing to be somewhat patient and let them do what they say they want to do. Once they have the team they want, if that team doesn't perform, then I'll be all over them.

Ultra & Proud
07-18-2013, 02:15 PM
I think some people would be happier if we just stuck to the two regimes per season thing so that we'd be perennial shit and then there'd be stuff to complain about on the board.

Either that or it's the: "We need to show patience and stay the path and have consistency" then 3 months later "Fire everyone we aren't winning" or the classic "We are a Canadian team and we need more Canadians on the team" then cue the cries of "Canadian players are shit and cost too much money" a few months later.

69Chevy396
07-18-2013, 02:16 PM
What do you expect Nelsen and Payne to say? Mathematically, we aren't eliminated yet, so of course there's still a chance so they're not necessarily lying g:D. We all know it's a snowball's chance in hell, but until mathematical elimination, I'd rather the manager save face than throw in the towel.

They are trying to attract players to come here and sign with them. Sitting there talking about the season being over at the halfway point is not going to do that.

And of course I'm not buying what they're selling, but I understand why they say what they say.
It is hard for me to be positive, and I am sorryfor ragging on and on about the same thing. But I am probably much older than most of you, and I have lived in Toronto all my life. For me, it is a great city, but I was a great Leafs supporter, and now I am not, having witnessed the erosion of what was the leading franchise in the league. Watching teams like Detroit perform so well during the past 20 years ( they were awful the previous 20), irks me, and all the blame rests with the holders of the mlse chalice-different men, same mindset- get the team close, keep the fans begging for more and the $ will keep flowing. I predicted TFC would be handled the same way, and was derided for saying so, but now, even the dimwits in mlse corp offices let thieir guard down and allowed the team to sink so far that people, by god, stopped buying tickets. I doubt they expected this. For TFC to improve the supporters should do as I did; stop attending the games, particularily ones that are televised in the USA. That will trigger real change, you guys have it in your control.

OgtheDim
07-18-2013, 02:16 PM
If we don't sign anybody by a week today, the Columbus game is going to be a seathing pot of resentment.

Ultra & Proud
07-18-2013, 02:18 PM
If we don't sign anybody by a week today, the Columbus game is going to be a seathing pot of resentment.
or a apathetic pot of empty seats.

ManUtd4ever
07-18-2013, 02:20 PM
or a apathetic pot of empty seats.
Yup. I'm well beyond the point of resentment.

Jack
07-18-2013, 02:21 PM
It is hard for me to be positive, and I am sorryfor ragging on and on about the same thing. But I am probably much older than most of you, and I have lived in Toronto all my life. For me, it is a great city, but I was a great Leafs supporter, and now I am not, having witnessed the erosion of what was the leading franchise in the league. Watching teams like Detroit perform so well during the past 20 years ( they were awful the previous 20), irks me, and all the blame rests with the holders of the mlse chalice-different men, same mindset- get the team close, keep the fans begging for more and the $ will keep flowing. I predicted TFC would be handled the same way, and was derided for saying so, but now, even the dimwits in mlse corp offices let thieir guard down and allowed the team to sink so far that people, by god, stopped buying tickets. I doubt they expected this. For TFC to improve the supporters should do as I did; stop attending the games, particularily ones that are televised in the USA. That will trigger real change, you guys have it in your control.
I hear you and I understand the frustration. MLSE is under new ownership and a new president. Will it be more of the same, or are they finally going to prioritize winning? Leiweke seems to indicate that is the case with him. Whether it happens remains to be seen, but I want to see what they'll do before I write them off.

ensco
07-18-2013, 02:34 PM
I'm not following your reference.

They cleared the crap off the roster so they could have room to bring in the players they want. This window they are actively pursuing those players, but I think this team will really take shape during the offseason. That looks like a plan and the plan is being executed. They took half a season to evaluate and see who would be kept and who wouldn't, they cut guys and contracts loose and they look to bring others in. What else should they do?

They sold their single most valuable asset, Silva, for a very short term asset (2013 allocation).

That's not consistent with having an offseason strategy. Or, really, a long term strategy.

69Chevy396
07-18-2013, 02:40 PM
I hear you and I understand the frustration. MLSE is under new ownership and a new president. Will it be more of the same, or are they finally going to prioritize winning? Leiweke seems to indicate that is the case with him. Whether it happens remains to be seen, but I want to see what they'll do before I write them off.
Dont write them off, don't give up your seats, you guys love the game too much for that. But you underestimate your importance during the game, how 2000 screaming singing fan got the rest of the place jumping. I recall in 07 a soccer mom with her 2 kids largely offended by the swearing and drinking but strangely attracted to it and she became a sth, but like me we bailed from years of mediocrity and boredom. If in the early days the rpb helped to create the ambiance now perhaps you can help bring it back. Just stay home on mass for one game, or stay silent, you have no idea how much of a real impact this will have.

mowe
07-18-2013, 02:42 PM
They sold their single most valuable asset, Silva, for a very short term asset (2013 allocation).

That's not consistent with having an offseason strategy. Or, really, a long term strategy.

Allocation can be used to pay transfer fees. Not saying this will happen, but maybe they needed to sell Silva to bring in a younger/better forward.

pekduck
07-18-2013, 02:42 PM

For this particular trade yes. I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop to look the group of trades to make judgement. After all, liquidating asset for temporary cash position can either let the cash erode or utilize it for another appreciating asset.

I won't judge yet, when I do, it'll be when the dusts settle at the end of this season.

Jack
07-18-2013, 02:48 PM

Let's see what happens with that before we call it a bad move.

tfcleeds
07-18-2013, 02:55 PM
I guess putting up with unwatchable football for the next little while is the price we have to pay for letting Payne and Nelsen do their thing in regards to building the type of squad they want. And when you put that up against the context of the last 7 years, is it really that bad if we have to wait a little bit longer to hopefully see a squad that won't be chopped and changed for once for a few seasons at least? I'd be lying if I said I wasn't at least a little disappointed though - as much as I knew this season was all about getting it right for next year, I had hoped to see more progress than what I've seen thus far. And since it looks like it will be more of a challenge getting in some of the pieces this season during this summer transfer window, maybe Payne shouldn't have been so quick to say we'd be challenging for playoffs in 2014. Maybe we will have a squad that is ready to challenge by the end of next season. The problem is, by the time we are competitive, will there be anybody left who cares?

pdogg
07-18-2013, 02:57 PM
For this particular trade yes. I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop to look the group of trades to make judgement. After all, liquidating asset for temporary cash position can either let the cash erode or utilize it for another appreciating asset.

I won't judge yet, when I do, it'll be when the dusts settle at the end of this season.

Let's see what happens with that before we call it a bad move.

Agreed - This is a horribly dated analogy, and from the wrong sport, but it's all I have - Trading away Fred McGriff and Tony Fernandez looks ridiculous if you only see one side of the trade and not the other part coming back (Alomar & Carter).

I want to see how O'Dea and Silva's allocation is spent before it's a write off. If that money brings in better players, then we win the "trade". There are far too many moving parts to this transfer window and the delay between the turns is making it worse.

For the sake of stability and us not calling for the head of another FO person, I hope this window goes well.

Sweeper
07-18-2013, 03:02 PM
My judgement of Payne and Nelson is reserved for approximately 2 years from now. I would like to see this club rebuilt properly for the longer term.

cochrdoc
07-18-2013, 03:26 PM
After last nights performance,I would of called a press conference and spilled the beans on who should be coming in.The performance of this team has declined just like last year.We do not have the talent to compete and the players we have do not seem like they want to compete.The one player who seemed to want to compete was let go even tough he was probably a better depth player then starter.So far the only players brought in are 2 utility players a mid and left back.We already had those in Dunfield and Logan.We may save in getting there salaries off the books but you think they would have brought someone in by now.It wouldn`t surprise me if the deals fall apart

barticusz
07-18-2013, 03:37 PM
I wouldn't say that the guys' don't want to compete. I see the compete level in most of them however there is no chemistry and more importantly there is no creative attacking talent that can help push them forward. When you rely on Osorio to be the main driving force of your attack you're in big trouble. I like the kid but he's playing above his head right now.

This team sucks, and we're all masochists for watching them week in and week out...

But if there's one thing we should have learned from past mistakes is that we need to give this management team time to put their team and system in place. I personally like the management team and think they're doing the best they can with the hand they've been dealt. If they can hit another homerun like Laba to bring in a young talent attacking force they will only help. But we need much more help than that in terms of not only personnel but also confidence and chemistry.

JonO
07-18-2013, 03:40 PM
I understand the mystery behind allocation money in general, but do we know it was 2013 allocation only? What I mean is do we know that the allocation expires this year?

nonc
07-18-2013, 03:46 PM
***petition to loan half of tfc to edmonton fc and buy shaun saiko***

billyfly
07-18-2013, 03:56 PM
trending now on twitter

#thatssotfc

OgtheDim
07-18-2013, 04:02 PM
Umm....26 tweets since January is a trend?

ensco
07-18-2013, 04:08 PM
I understand the mystery behind allocation money in general, but do we know it was 2013 allocation only? What I mean is do we know that the allocation expires this year?

Garber has been asked this (I saw it at the 2010 MLS Cup) and skirted it by saying something like "teams have multiple windows to use the funds, and they pretty much use them within a few months". He wouldn't say what the rules are.

They want the world to believe they expire, but it's not disclosed.

ag futbol
07-18-2013, 04:17 PM
Sid & Tim on Sportsnet. app 35 min mark of today's show.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/590/tim-and-sid/

Really nothing but sports jock raz, but apparently we are tanking to get andrew wiggins

billyfly
07-18-2013, 04:34 PM
Umm....26 tweets since January is a trend?

I was only kidding but I wanted to put it in this thread so I "edited" the narrative around it. I reserve the right to exercise my creative liberties!

Jeff s
07-18-2013, 04:38 PM
Sid & Tim on Sportsnet. app 35 min mark of today's show.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/590/tim-and-sid/

Really nothing but sports jock raz, but apparently we are tanking to get andrew wiggins

Bob McClown was doing the same thing a few minutes ago.

I'm glad the media is giving tfc all this negative attention. They deserve it.

Ivy
07-18-2013, 04:41 PM
After last nights performance,I would of called a press conference and spilled the beans on who should be coming in.The performance of this team has declined just like last year.We do not have the talent to compete and the players we have do not seem like they want to compete.The one player who seemed to want to compete was let go even tough he was probably a better depth player then starter.So far the only players brought in are 2 utility players a mid and left back.We already had those in Dunfield and Logan.We may save in getting there salaries off the books but you think they would have brought someone in by now.It wouldn`t surprise me if the deals fall apart
Just curious... Who was the one competing? O'Dea or Silva?
And you would take Dunny and Logan over Caldwell and Laba? Comoooonnnnnnnnnn :) comoooooooooonnbnnnnnnnnn

stevep
07-18-2013, 05:42 PM
I guess putting up with unwatchable football for the next little while is the price we have to pay for letting Payne and Nelsen do their thing in regards to building the type of squad they want. And when you put that up against the context of the last 7 years, is it really that bad if we have to wait a little bit longer to hopefully see a squad that won't be chopped and changed for once for a few seasons at least? I'd be lying if I said I wasn't at least a little disappointed though - as much as I knew this season was all about getting it right for next year, I had hoped to see more progress than what I've seen thus far. And since it looks like it will be more of a challenge getting in some of the pieces this season during this summer transfer window, maybe Payne shouldn't have been so quick to say we'd be challenging for playoffs in 2014. Maybe we will have a squad that is ready to challenge by the end of next season. The problem is, by the time we are competitive, will there be anybody left who cares?

there will be people who care. if less people at games i will buy a cheap seat and move over to good seats I want good players not 2nd line guys starting.

the past is the past forget about it. the only thing the past has in common with the future is the jersey and the ownership and i think the ownership let s the management handle things.

Ivy
07-18-2013, 06:03 PM
there will be people who care. if less people at games i will buy a cheap seat and move over to good seats I want good players not 2nd line guys starting.

the past is the past forget about it. the only thing the past has in common with the future is the jersey and the ownership and i think the ownership let s the management handle things.

Even the ownership is different now...

OgtheDim
07-18-2013, 06:17 PM
So, what would people think of Kaka?

19Barrett19
07-18-2013, 06:49 PM
I still think its kaka :p

Ivy
07-18-2013, 06:56 PM
My source at BMO just told me he saw Kaka with his agent and MLSE staff walking into BMO field. Apparently they're signing something

Pint
07-18-2013, 06:58 PM
My source at BMO just told me he saw Kaka with his agent and MLSE staff walking into BMO field. Apparently they're signing something

Don't do this again

WestStandGeoff
07-18-2013, 06:59 PM

Was he giving Forlan a piggy-back ride too? g:D

v00d00daddy
07-18-2013, 07:03 PM
Was he giving Forlan a piggy-back ride too? g:D

Nope. This instead:

http://www.kathleenvalenti.com/uploads/1/3/9/4/13946407/9878668.jpg

Ivy
07-18-2013, 07:04 PM
Nope. This instead:

http://www.kathleenvalenti.com/uploads/1/3/9/4/13946407/9878668.jpg
lmfao. Impact diving practice

gate7
07-18-2013, 07:28 PM
The shitty part of this transfer window is that we had the impression that TFC had a few targets identified. We knew there were multiple trips to South America to speak to players. It seemed as though we were just waiting for the window to open to snap up a few players. That appears to not be the case at all.

This is exactly what I thought...............

:dupe:

Stouffville_RPB
07-18-2013, 07:41 PM
It's Forlan AND Kaka!!!

gate7
07-18-2013, 07:47 PM
My judgement of Payne and Nelson is reserved for approximately 2 years from now. I would like to see this club rebuilt properly for the longer term.

i bet in 2 years one of those two wont be here......but Cochrane will.

gate7
07-18-2013, 07:55 PM

'something' lol

Bobinhood
07-18-2013, 08:07 PM
I think your source meant to say they were snorting something, and thought they saw kaka and forlan. :D

OgtheDim
07-18-2013, 08:18 PM
The only reason I brought up Kaka is he is the other name that comes up when people through out names that might be serious. My question is whether he would be a good idea or not.

TOBOR !
07-18-2013, 08:24 PM
lulz... Forlan and Kaka and... nine other guys. Sure - makes sense to me - why hot ?

Re: Tanking for Wiggins, I was thinking that perhaps Lieweke had confused his teams.

That would be an ace banner idea : TANKING FOR WIGGINS... or WE WANT WIGGINS

nonc
07-18-2013, 08:31 PM
lulz... Forlan and Kaka and... nine other guys. Sure - makes sense to me - why hot ?

Re: Tanking for Wiggins, I was thinking that perhaps Lieweke had confused his teams.

tanking for wiggins at bmo lol that would be great.

Corpand
07-18-2013, 08:36 PM

Talk about accurate long throws.

tfcleeds
07-18-2013, 08:46 PM
i bet in 2 years one of those two wont be here......but Cochrane will.

The "Teflon Coch".

T-boy
07-18-2013, 09:04 PM
144 pages and you've all gone completely craaaaaazy!

Marc"2L"
07-18-2013, 09:32 PM
Please something tomorrow. I want my life back.

Still Kicking
07-18-2013, 09:34 PM
Forlan, Kaka being mentioned, but not Park Ji Sung ????

69Chevy396
07-18-2013, 09:37 PM
Forlan, Kaka being mentioned, but not Park Ji Sung ????
They are holding out for Ben Doon and Phil McCrakin

billyfly
07-18-2013, 11:02 PM
The name TFC is after is Forlan. 100% guanrateed. He was suppose to play for TFC on Wednesday.

Why there hasn't been an agreement and announcement yet I don't know.

pdogg
07-18-2013, 11:17 PM
Maybe he got spooked by all the paparazzi on rollerblades.

jloome
07-19-2013, 12:35 AM
The name TFC is after is Forlan. 100% guanrateed. He was suppose to play for TFC on Wednesday.

It's all a diversion, man, the shirts, the tip to the globe ... you watch, tomorrow or next week, they'll sign Yossi Benayoun or some other bloke and we'll all be, like, ... "well, where the fuck the that one come from."

khso11
07-19-2013, 01:26 AM
you watch, tomorrow or next week, they'll sign Yossi Benayoun or some other bloke and we'll all be, like, ... "well, where the fuck the that one come from."

Yossi Benayoun? I expect someone like Ronaldinho, Sneijder, or maybe Robben's name popping out of no where.

Maybe im just too tire, i should go to sleep.

OgtheDim
07-19-2013, 05:50 AM
Oh my gosh....they tested the push system on my TFC app this morning.

ITS ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ensco
07-19-2013, 06:03 AM

They want thim bad. Sure. But so what?

Leiweke can act like he can raise the dead all he wants, but the reality is, he and Payne are rookies when it comes to doing transfers, especially in places like Brazil.

TFC could just be bait here, and not know it.

Or maybe Forlan's wife scuppered it at the last second, saying she didn't want to go (The Secret Footballer says this happens a lot).

Or TFC might sign him today.

Nuvinho
07-19-2013, 06:06 AM
They may sign him today. Have him wave to the crowd tomorrow on the big screen, then TFC goes out and loses 3-0 to the Red Bulls.

Wolfe
07-19-2013, 06:23 AM
Anyone know what the roster spots look like now? Cap space, international slots etc?

Solo La Maglia
07-19-2013, 06:58 AM
I worked for time and a half last weeknd. Ill help finance a move!!

Pint
07-19-2013, 07:02 AM
Anyone know what the roster spots look like now? Cap space, international slots etc?

Should have at least 2 international slots (o'dea, and we got one in a trade recently I believe) roster spots should be open with silva, o'dea, dunny, Logan etc all leavening and only bloom and Thomas coming in.

Cap is difficult it all depends on how many crazy don garber bucks we have

Nuvinho
07-19-2013, 07:03 AM
Luke Wileman‏@LukeWileman2m (http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/LukeWileman/status/358193933102231552)Was at Blackburn with Ryan Nelsen: RT @PhilSchoen (http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/PhilSchoen): Socceroos' Lucas Neill set to join MLS - http://Sportal.com.au (http://t.co/aFaWLLxo2M) - http://bit.ly/15QVSWm (http://t.co/xtQQQqLtdO)

Abou Sky
07-19-2013, 07:07 AM
Oh my gosh....they tested the push system on my TFC app this morning.

ITS ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not the only one who had that fleet through my mind for like a half second... Sad

Abou Sky
07-19-2013, 07:09 AM
They may sign him today. Have him wave to the crowd tomorrow on the big screen, then TFC goes out and loses 3-0 to the Red Bulls.

That would still be a good day

Ivy
07-19-2013, 07:42 AM
Luke Wileman‏@LukeWileman2m (http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/LukeWileman/status/358193933102231552)Was at Blackburn with Ryan Nelsen: RT @PhilSchoen (http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/PhilSchoen): Socceroos' Lucas Neill set to join MLS - http://Sportal.com.au (http://t.co/aFaWLLxo2M) - http://bit.ly/15QVSWm (http://t.co/xtQQQqLtdO)
*sigh*....

flamehawk
07-19-2013, 07:50 AM
*sigh*....

Same response here.

Going to be a great mentor for Henry -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLkCpdr1dLg lol

wzhxvy
07-19-2013, 08:07 AM
35, bounced around a few clubs recently, how is this exactly a long term move ?

If we are going to do things like this, we might as well ask Nelson to come out of retirement and play in the back...this move would make no sense.

Ivy
07-19-2013, 08:14 AM
35, bounced around a few clubs recently, how is this exactly a long term move ?

If we are going to do things like this, we might as well ask Nelson to come out of retirement and play in the back...this move would make no sense.
hopefully it's not our move. And if it is, it should be anything more than a loan to replace O'Dea. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE I hope it's not our move.

Derko
07-19-2013, 08:14 AM
They are holding out for Ben Doon and Phil McCrakin

Oh those two bums, they did well in the seventies, but not so sure now g:D

Pint
07-19-2013, 08:15 AM
We need CB cover and if this is a move for the rest of this season on a low wage it may not be the worst thing but would prefer us to focus on other areas.

OgtheDim
07-19-2013, 08:16 AM
An Int slot for a 35 year old defender?

Pint
07-19-2013, 08:26 AM
An Int slot for a 35 year old defender?

Very true... Didn't think about that. Using 3 intl spots on the beck end isn't a good idea.

tfcleeds
07-19-2013, 08:27 AM
Yeah, let's hope Neill goes elsewhere, but if not, that he's only temporary cover. Where are these LONG-TERM players that Payne and Nelsen are building around, is what I'd like to know. Basically now, as long as we hear something by the end of the month, I'll be happy.

CBTFC
07-19-2013, 08:30 AM
Just throwin' this out there...what about a DP goalkeeper?

(the heat makes people think crazy thoughts, i know)

Ivy
07-19-2013, 08:34 AM
Kaka in net??? Sweet!! :)

OgtheDim
07-19-2013, 08:41 AM
Just throwin' this out there...what about a DP goalkeeper?

(the heat makes people think crazy thoughts, i know)

Cudicini is an example of how good that can be.

Ultra & Proud
07-19-2013, 08:42 AM
Didn't the tweet just say coming to MLS? I know he is an Aussie and played at Blackburn but it's not a 100% given that he's coming here. Although he probably is.

wzhxvy
07-19-2013, 08:46 AM
It said there are 2 clubs in play...I just don't see the point for the rest of the season....it wont matter...and if it is long term, then we obviously have not progressed our thinking...

Yohan
07-19-2013, 08:57 AM
Cudicini is an example of how good that can be.
1. Cudicini is not a DP

2. Cudicini has been rather average for LA. Certainly not better than most MLS GKs

Dave67
07-19-2013, 09:03 AM

He was probably sitting at a table, ready to sign the contract, pen approaching paper, when suddenly something hit him. Oh my god, he thought, this MLS team is in Canada? I thought I was coming to America? Not calling Forlan dumb, but this is TFC and anything can happen.

PopePouri
07-19-2013, 09:07 AM
He was probably sitting at a table, ready to sign the contract, pen approaching paper, when suddenly something hit him. Oh my god, he thought, this MLS team is in Canada? I thought I was coming to America? Not calling Forlan dumb, but this is TFC and anything can happen.

Yes that is exactly what happened.

TFC07
07-19-2013, 09:09 AM

Forlan is well aware of TFC and city of Toronto in general. He got family in Canada and he was rumour to sign us 2-3 years ago, but TFC and Forlan didn't come to terms in the end.

Ivy
07-19-2013, 09:36 AM
"Wait... TFC is in Canada?? I thought it was in France...Wait... It is in France?? I'm gonna go back to Brazil" my source at BMO told me that's how the conversation went.

ag futbol
07-19-2013, 09:38 AM
Yeah, let's hope Neill goes elsewhere, but if not, that he's only temporary cover. Where are these LONG-TERM players that Payne and Nelsen are building around, is what I'd like to know. Basically now, as long as we hear something by the end of the month, I'll be happy.
I completely agree.

I've had enough with the temporary cover at this point. The season is shot, all the decisions we make should be long term focused. Other teams in this league manage to find proper defenders on reasonable salaries, on amounts that Lucas Neill wouldn't roll over in bed for. This will seriously erode my confidence in Nelsen if it happens.

Ivy
07-19-2013, 09:44 AM
@MLSTransfers: Source: Australian national teamer Lucas Neill in talks with #TFC
somebody put me out of my misery.... Please...

T-boy
07-19-2013, 09:49 AM
@MLSTransfers: Source: Australian national teamer Lucas Neill in talks with #TFC

If this is for a season and a half, I'd probably be ok with it. The team needs a nice balance of experience and youth, especially at the back. Neill is a very good professional, just like Caldwell. Ideally your backline should have an average age of 28 to 30-ish. Over the last few season the average age of the TFC backline is around 25.

reggie
07-19-2013, 09:52 AM
i would take him ...our d sucks....we also need a left back.

OgtheDim
07-19-2013, 09:54 AM
Soooooo.....no press call by now should mean nothing this week at all.

reggie
07-19-2013, 09:57 AM
I guess not,,,lets enjoy another loss tomorrow,after all they have our money already,why would they care...

ag futbol
07-19-2013, 09:58 AM
Oh god... what a shit show.

TFC07
07-19-2013, 10:01 AM
This is Nelsen signing! But however, I understand why Neill is coming. Another veteran presence in the backline is needed so we don't make any more rookie type of errors that cost us the game. Neill is O'Dea's replacement and probably play as a LB.

But that being said, I am still waiting for new wingers, CAM and strikers. I am sure we will eventually sign one or two from South America.

MartinUtd
07-19-2013, 10:04 AM
This is getting a little depressing. I've been patient and I like the fact that there are fewer leaks from the FO than in previous instances. Having said that, I don't like their constant proclamations that "We'll be bringing in players by X date" and then not delivering. IMO, by telling us to expect something this week but not having anything lined up is just as undisciplined as when they threw names around on a regular basis... they just think they're covering their asses now.

Actually, this is worse than not delivering anything because now I'm reading about a third rate 35 year old journeyman from the A league.

TFC07
07-19-2013, 10:07 AM
This is getting a little depressing. I've been patient and I like the fact that there are fewer leaks from the FO than in previous instances. Having said that, I don't like their constant proclamations that "We'll be bringing in players by X date" and then not delivering. IMO, by telling us to expect something this week but not having anything lined up is just as undisciplined as when they threw names around on a regular basis... they just think they're covering their asses now.

Actually, this is worse than not delivering anything because now I'm reading about a third rate 35 year old journeyman from the A league.

Let's see how much money he's going to make. If he making less $200K, then it isn't a bad deal. He has spent 15 years in England and has played higher level than any of our defenders (and including O'Dea). He currently captain of Australia national team who are going to be playing in World Cup next year.

Super
07-19-2013, 10:09 AM
I gotta say, considering how many players we need, I'm disappointed that they failed to bring in any reinforcements this week. On the other hand I guess it doesn't matter now that the season is over anyway.

OgtheDim
07-19-2013, 10:17 AM
No way he comes in as a LB. He's not fast enough for the system we currently play.

Fort York Redcoat
07-19-2013, 10:18 AM

Wow. He's had a great career and looks to be finishing it at home. I wonder what could tempt him.

ManUtd4ever
07-19-2013, 10:21 AM

I believe you Billy, and I hate to say it, but that just makes this Forlan saga and the lack of acquisitions overall more of an indictment of our new management regime. Leiweke, Payne, and Nelsen should really just keep their mouths shut moving forward and let their actions do the talking.

Super
07-19-2013, 10:25 AM
I believe you Billy, and I hate to say it, but that just makes this Forlan saga and the lack of acquisitions overall more of an indictment of our new management regime. Leiweke, Payne, and Nelsen should really just keep their mouths shut moving forward and let their actions do the talking.

Problem with that is that when we only have 3 wins in last 34 you kinda have to tell the supporters something. Promise something. You can't just say nothing. We'd all be calling for their heads right about now.

Oh and btw, if we lose tomorrow that 1 win drop off and it'll be 2 wins in last 34. A win and we keep the 3 wins in 34 games record.

gcolacci
07-19-2013, 10:37 AM
Or 4 Wins in 35.

Milanista
07-19-2013, 10:38 AM
This season is already over anyway, I would rather management take time and sign the right players...than spend just to spend on crap....KAKA would be a dream, i would get season tix in a heart beat

PopePouri
07-19-2013, 10:43 AM
My prediction: Forlan signs sometime today and they present him tomorrow after the game.

Super
07-19-2013, 10:50 AM
Makes me wonder if Forlan is in the weekend line-up for Inter. Assuming they play of course.

ag futbol
07-19-2013, 10:54 AM
Here: actual news! (maybe, not sure how credible the poster is)

Ernesto Maluf ‏@ernestomaluf (https://twitter.com/ernestomaluf)12m (https://twitter.com/ernestomaluf/status/358249338008383488)
La oferta x Lucas Melano del Toronto FC (MLS Soccer) x el 70% del pase es la que + seduce a #Belgrano (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Belgrano&src=hash). Pero el delantero no está convencido.

google translate: The offer x Lucas Melano Toronto FC (MLS Soccer) x 70% + pass is what seduces # Belgrano. But the striker is not convinced.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucas_Melano

Relja
07-19-2013, 11:05 AM

Ernesto Maluf ‏@ernestomaluf (https://twitter.com/ernestomaluf)12m (https://twitter.com/ernestomaluf/status/358249338008383488)
La oferta x Lucas Melano del Toronto FC (MLS Soccer) x el 70% del pase es la que + seduce a #Belgrano (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Belgrano&src=hash). Pero el delantero no está convencido.

google translate: The offer x Lucas Melano Toronto FC (MLS Soccer) x 70% + pass is what seduces # Belgrano. But the striker is not convinced.

I know he's young, but 7 goals in 44 appearances doesn't inspire me with too much confidence, mind you he could be coming on as a sub as an impact player...

tfcleeds
07-19-2013, 11:17 AM
Makes me wonder if Forlan is in the weekend line-up for Inter. Assuming they play of course.They play on Sunday. Nothing on the Inter site suggesting he isn't currently with the squad though.

OgtheDim
07-19-2013, 11:26 AM
Announcing a DP after a game on a Saturday evening?

No way Lieweke announces this any way then the biggest possible.

I'd be looking to Monday thru Thursday for an announcement on a DP.

Friday's are for subs, journeymen and squad fillers - and for when players leave.

69Chevy396
07-19-2013, 12:05 PM
Oh god... what a shit show.
No interview, no trial, Nelsen just lines up the prospects, asks them to boot the ball as far as they can, the winner is given a contract.

Corpand
07-19-2013, 12:11 PM
Now that's its out, Neill was the Friday surprise. I heard about this move since end of last week and (un)fortunately it can very well be signed and sealed before the week is out.
Only place I can see him is Central D. Very strong physically but consistently slow. Reminds me of Tchani a bit when he played for us. Slow movement but would shield the ball well and diffuse situations of pressure by holding on the ball and moving it around.
Know nothing of the Melano deal, anyone seen him play? Those stats scare me...

NolbertoS
07-19-2013, 12:13 PM

The rest of the twitter feeds state the Melano doesn't want to continue his career in north America. He would rather play in Europe. Seems we could get a disgruntled player if TFC buy him. Rather get somebody that actually wants to play for TFC than provide minimal effort and then leave.

wzhxvy
07-19-2013, 12:16 PM
If Niell is a done deal, he better be in the 100K range for this year and next...otherwise I will lose confidence that there is a strategy and it is more like who from his buddies can Nelson convince to come over...its a throwaway move and a waste of resources...

I would not be surprised if it is a done deal and they do not want to announce until a bigger deal is done...as this deal on its own will raise more questions than answers...

Milanista
07-19-2013, 12:42 PM
Just heard on the radio that Nelson said today, "when we get our salary cap situation sorted, the league will be scared" something along that line...omg its gonna be kaka....omg omg omg omg

Morlesio14
07-19-2013, 12:44 PM
What will we do to get our cap sorted?

Ageroo
07-19-2013, 12:45 PM

Ha ha...exactly.......I guess we just close our eyes and pray.

Alarius
This is how I feel..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwflHDxcV3w

Milanista
no clue just heard it on the fan 590..put it on they are going to speak about it now

PopePouri
07-19-2013, 12:50 PM
Just heard on the radio that Nelson said today, "when we get our salary cap situation sorted, the league will be scared" something along that line...omg its gonna be kaka....omg omg omg omg

Kaka's here. I head he was on his way to BMO for a medical.

ag futbol
We are going to be so scary that we will start to actually take advantage of playing a man up for 70 minutes.

ag futbol
Kaka's here. I head he was on his way to BMO for a medical.
Is this the new "he's going to tear this league apart" ?

tfcleeds
07-19-2013, 12:51 PM
Yeah, but where are the Lucas Neill sightings? ;)

Red I
07-19-2013, 12:51 PM
Is Eckersley getting tossed to sort out the cap? Hmmm

dantdot
07-19-2013, 12:52 PM
Nelsen just can't say that stuff given our history. It's just a facepalm moment.

Ageroo
Yeah, but where are the Lucas Neill sightings? ;)

on his way to BMO for a medical ;)

Phil
I wish they would shut up with the running of the mouths. Just do the friggin work and sign some players that will help the team instead of gabbing about how 'scary' we will be.

We are scary now.....scary bad.

Wolves_On_Tour
07-19-2013, 12:53 PM
I wish they would shut up with the running of the mouths. Just do the friggin work and sign some players that will help the team instead of gabbing about how 'scary' we will be.

BOOM!

Jeff s
07-19-2013, 12:56 PM
The
Friends
Club

This is tfc's history. We dont sign just any player. We sign former teammates. Good old friends. Friends who passed their prime.

The season is over. Let Henry get the starting experience.

Is this the "A-List" players leiweke promised? Fucking joke.

Good luck getting rid of players like Braun and Lambe. This is why tfc is selling the top players. Because they can't get rid of the rest of the garbage. No team is stupid enough to take them off our hands.

BuSaPuNk
07-19-2013, 12:57 PM

+1

Sometimes it's better to just take the pressure from the media and fans and not continue down the path of promises that your not sure if you can keep.

Both Payne and Nelsen should have from the beginning said. We will continually evaluate our team and if we can make moves to get better in certain positions ect we will do it. That's all that should be said.

Phil
07-19-2013, 01:02 PM
kaka in the news.

http://www.goal.com/en-ca/news/4188/transfer-zone/2013/07/19/4129118/new-york-red-bulls-kakas-brother-part-ways

Seems NYRB let his brother go.

Ultra & Proud
07-19-2013, 01:04 PM
I guess Payne and Nelsen feel they have to throw the fans a bone so to speak during this time of us sucking ass and dumping Silva & O' Dea. It's all meaningless drivel to us because we follow this shit more than we should, sanity-wise, but the average joe fan from town would be oblivious to most of these discussions,rumors, and 'sightings'. They will probably buy that shit.

cementhead
07-19-2013, 01:05 PM

We are scary now.....scary bad.No where the bigs joke in the MLS last seven year .Groundhog day over and over!

Milanista
07-19-2013, 01:08 PM
i heard it on the radio, i cannot confirm if its 100% true

Milanista
07-19-2013, 01:11 PM
TORONTO -- Manager Ryan Nelsen says once Toronto FC sorts out its salary cap issues, it will make its presence felt in MLS.
In fact, Nelsen says there will be -- in his words -- "a few frightened teams" around the league.
The 2-10-7 club has been shedding salary cap obligations in recent weeks to free up money to sign new players.
Related Stories

Toronto FC blanked by MLS' worst defensive team (http://www.cp24.com/sports/toronto-fc-news/toronto-fc-blanked-by-mls-worst-defensive-team-1.1372121)

Ex-TFC captain O'Dea signs with Ukrainian squad (http://www.cp24.com/sports/toronto-fc-news/ex-tfc-captain-o-dea-signs-with-ukrainian-squad-1.1372725)

Toronto is a little thin in the interim.
And the club will be without injured strikers Danny Koevermans and Robert Earnshaw when the 9-7-4 New York Red Bulls visit Saturday.

Read more: http://www.cp24.com/sports/toronto-fc-news/nelsen-tfc-will-improve-once-salary-cap-is-sorted-1.1374277#ixzz2ZW43DeAG

wzhxvy
07-19-2013, 01:14 PM
I chuckled when I read the "we are going to be scary" comment...funny stuff...lets win more than one game in ten before we start making these predictions.

Marc"2L"
Lol, Sid wearing the TFC shirt. Wonder if they made him after the "that's so TFC" segment.

Richard
I have reached my limit with all this bullshit talk. This man sums up my feeling towards management. http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c373/Shadowrayven/ArnoldShutup.gif

Phil
07-19-2013, 01:16 PM
TORONTO -- Manager Ryan Nelsen says once Toronto FC sorts out its salary cap issues, it will make its presence felt in MLS.
In fact, Nelsen says there will be -- in his words -- "a few frightened teams" around the league.
The 2-10-7 club has been shedding salary cap obligations in recent weeks to free up money to sign new players.
Related Stories

Toronto FC blanked by MLS' worst defensive team (http://www.cp24.com/sports/toronto-fc-news/toronto-fc-blanked-by-mls-worst-defensive-team-1.1372121)

Ex-TFC captain O'Dea signs with Ukrainian squad (http://www.cp24.com/sports/toronto-fc-news/ex-tfc-captain-o-dea-signs-with-ukrainian-squad-1.1372725)

Toronto is a little thin in the interim.
And the club will be without injured strikers Danny Koevermans and Robert Earnshaw when the 9-7-4 New York Red Bulls visit Saturday.

Read more: http://www.cp24.com/sports/toronto-fc-news/nelsen-tfc-will-improve-once-salary-cap-is-sorted-1.1374277#ixzz2ZW43DeAG

From a supporters point of view.....talk is cheap.

tfcleeds
07-19-2013, 01:21 PM
[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]TORONTO -- Manager Ryan Nelsen says once Toronto FC sorts out its salary cap issues, it will make its presence felt in MLS.In fact, Nelsen says there will be -- in his words -- "a few frightened teams" around the league.Right then. And I'm guessing Neill is supposed to be one of the "3 or 4" players we're bringing in during this transfer window. And assuming Melano is another (don't want to be too harsh on the kid, considering I've never even seen him play, but his current stats aren't exactly awe inspiring), I think it's safe to say it's gonna be a loooonnnnggggg rest of the season while we get this stuff sorted.

Super
07-19-2013, 01:37 PM
They could bring in the Spanish national team and not a single team in this league would become scared of TFC. Why? Because you still have to properly manage this team and set the tactics. We've never been able to do that. Nelsen MIGHT be able to manage a team properly down the line, but we haven't seen that yet from him. His tactics leave a LOT to be desired (as we have seen time and time again). Truth is, he's a newbie at the job (as was every other manager of this club except for Preki) so hopefully he'll learn quick. But again, NO ONE is scared of us. We have to start winning a LOT of games before we start looking more like a Rottweiler than an injured, blind Poodle.

Also, quite frankly, talk is cheap. I want action!

hulkrogan
07-19-2013, 01:39 PM
I just ran into Zinedine Zidane at the Calgary airport. It was hard to recognize him because he was wearing these:

http://www.thearkansasproject.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/groucho_glasses.jpg

He boarded his connecting flight to Toronto, via Winnipeg, shortly after.

Derko
07-19-2013, 01:51 PM
They could bring in the Spanish national team and not a single team in this league would become scared of TFC. Why? Because you still have to properly manage this team and set the tactics. We've never been able to do that. Nelsen MIGHT be able to manage a team properly down the line, but we haven't seen that yet from him. His tactics leave a LOT to be desired (as we have seen time and time again). Truth is, he's a newbie at the job (as was every other manager of this club except for Preki) so hopefully he'll learn quick. But again, NO ONE is scared of us. We have to start winning a LOT of games before we start looking more like a Rottweiler than an injured, blind Poodle.

Also, quite frankly, talk is cheap. I want action!

Come on my cousin's poodle is 18yrs old and pretty blind, but is still as fast as lightning and has sharp teeth!!!

Waggy
07-19-2013, 01:59 PM
Saw Nelsons comments and figured I'd pop in here to see what the buzz was. Clearly the more things change the more they stay the same. Guess I was wrong to think TFC had gotten its shit together.

Marc"2L"
07-19-2013, 02:17 PM
He doesn't seem as confident about his plan in the TFCTV interview.
If I'm reading him right one could assume something fell part.

ManUtd4ever
07-19-2013, 02:34 PM
He doesn't seem as confident about his plan in the TFCTV interview.
If I'm reading him right one could assume something fell part.

Maybe Forlan took a look at our record before putting pen to paper?

ManUtd4ever
07-19-2013, 02:36 PM
In all seriousness, I would rather management focus on more Laba type signings moving forward as opposed to trying to sign a longshot older marquee player. I hope Leiweke doesn't take us for a bunch of fools.

Morlesio14
07-19-2013, 02:38 PM
Apparently Payne is looking to sign John Wilson form Charleston Battery http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Wilson_(soccer)

Morlesio14
07-19-2013, 02:39 PM
In all seriousness, I would rather management focus on more Laba type signings moving forward as opposed to trying to sign a longshot older marquee player. I hope Leiweke doesn't take us for a bunch of fools.

I agree.

Solo La Maglia
07-19-2013, 02:43 PM
Do you think we will make any relative big signings before this thread gets to 200 pages?

Morlesio14
07-19-2013, 02:47 PM
Read somewhere on twitter that Payne was about to sign Kevin Ellison :/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Ellison_(footballer)

69Chevy396
07-19-2013, 02:52 PM
Maybe Forlan took a look at our record before putting pen to paper?
Hey, thats what I said earlier! Forlan is not coming here. Hillarious if he picks Montreal or Vancouver telling the media he wanted to play on a real team with a real manager.

OgtheDim
07-19-2013, 02:52 PM
Having watched the video, I wouldn't take that frightened comment to mean too much.

It was said in response to a question about us being able to get players in. It was a statement indicating that people would like to come to TFC. Journo's taking it out of context and tweeting.

Worth watching.

69Chevy396
07-19-2013, 02:55 PM
Read somewhere on twitter that Payne was about to sign Kevin Ellison :/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Ellison_(footballer)
Great, another bum from the Engish third division; hell, he could play for a game or two and then become a TFC assistant manager

jabbronies
07-19-2013, 03:04 PM
Having watched the video, I wouldn't take that frightened comment to mean too much.

It was said in response to a question about us being able to get players in. It was a statement indicating that people would like to come to TFC. Journo's taking it out of context and tweeting.

Worth watching.

Maybe he meant that teams would be afraid of becoming TFC...?

tfcleeds
07-19-2013, 03:07 PM
So we've gone from last week, thinking in the next couple of weeks, we'd have the likes of Forlan, Urruti, and possibly Alex Lopez on board, to this week with Lucas Neill, Kevin Ellison, and more NASL/USL players possibly coming in. That's just awesome.

69Chevy396
07-19-2013, 03:12 PM
So we've gone from last week, thinking in the next couple of weeks, we'd have the likes of Forlan, Urruti, and possibly Alex Lopez on board, to this week with Lucas Neill, Kevin Ellison, and more NASL/USL players possibly coming in. That's just awesome.
That illustrates 7 years of consistent mediocrity. Which season was it when we were waiting for two Argentine strikers? i know Mo said it and he even went to B Aires once. And Winter kept telling us he was going to land star players. Nothing really has changed.

OgtheDim
07-19-2013, 03:16 PM
Somebody no longer wanted by MoreScum? Doubtful. Twitter is full of stuff right now.

tfcleeds
07-19-2013, 03:18 PM
My post was half in jest, but just trying to show how much things have changed in terms of our expectations in the space of a week. I'm still hopeful we'll be getting a couple of those bigger names by the end of the window, but it wouldn't surprise me if when the dust settles, that's what we end up with.

jabbronies
07-19-2013, 03:21 PM
Can someone explain the appeal of Forlan for me?

Is he really a guy who can carry this team when no one else is doing anything productive? Let's be honest here, this is MLS and more importantly, TFC that we are talking about. There will be large portions of the match where nothing productive on the pitch is happening.

Is he a player who can make something out of nothing? Especially when he isn't getting a decent ball to his foot, or he is getting it in a crowded midfield of uncreative TFC players and 2-3 opposing players against him?

Beckham had Donovan. Forlan has...Earnshaw?

tfcleeds
07-19-2013, 03:25 PM
Somebody no longer wanted by MoreScum? Doubtful. Twitter is full of stuff right now.Come on you Shrimps!!! ;)

Milanista
07-19-2013, 03:44 PM

Is he really a guy who can carry this team when no one else is doing anything productive? Let's be honest here, this is MLS and more importantly, TFC that we are talking about. There will be large portions of the match where nothing productive on the pitch is happening.

Is he a player who can make something out of nothing? Especially when he isn't getting a decent ball to his foot, or he is getting it in a crowded midfield of uncreative TFC players and 2-3 opposing players against him?

in case you haven't noticed, this team needs another 3-4 players...forlan would be just part of the rebuild if u will

this team lacks tech. ability and signing these 2nd and 3rd division englishman won't help the cause.

T-boy
07-19-2013, 04:48 PM
I hear Payne wants to give an equal opportunity to the first ever professional blind one legged deaf footballer. i.e This thread is getting utterly ridiculous!

ensco
07-19-2013, 04:50 PM

My best guess: it's not a football move.

I think the idea is to wildly overpay him to come, with the intent being to change to perception about the attractiveness of TFC to players in general.

Forlan would be gone in 16 months, without having done anything per se to change things on the field.

Ivy
07-19-2013, 04:51 PM
M source at BMO firld just told me Forlan's wife is there right now with MLSE people signing something.

Ivy
07-19-2013, 04:54 PM
My best guess: it's not a football move.

I think the idea is to wildly overpay him to come, with the intent being to change to perception about the attractiveness of TFC to players in general.

Forlan would be gone in 16 months, without having done anything per se to change things on the field.
partially, but not entirely... Forlan will improve pretty much any team he plays on. He isn't washed out or injury prone, isn't an underwear model or a camera whore. He will be as valuable as any other player they can bring to play that position - only at a much much higher price.

ensco
07-19-2013, 04:54 PM
Check out what this guy saw in the arrivals hall today waiting for the Sao Paolo flight

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

69Chevy396
07-19-2013, 04:57 PM
M source at BMO firld just told me Forlan's wife is there right now with MLSE people signing something.
Yup, she is writing up the contract for her bathing suit photo shoot at BMO during half time.

T-boy
07-19-2013, 04:57 PM
^^^^^ I clicked on the link even though I knew what it would end up with! haha!

jazzy
07-19-2013, 04:59 PM
:rolleyes:

play the academy....everyone you're fired....oh ya STH's can you please be patient for a couple of more years.......and have a free bud....the joys of living:rolleyes:

jazzy
07-19-2013, 05:06 PM

why is everyone in the league laughing?

OgtheDim
07-19-2013, 05:22 PM
I think that was Forlan's girlfriend from a few years ago.

His wife isn't a model.

jazzy
07-19-2013, 05:25 PM
Yup, she is writing up the contract for her bathing suit photo shoot at BMO during half time.

after seven years of premature #$%$#$$% , I think I'll we finally score

reggie
07-19-2013, 05:56 PM
this thread has become a clown show jus like our club.

Marc"2L"
07-19-2013, 05:58 PM
Well, honestly didn't think we would get to Friday without anything.
I guess it's good that the leaks are dry?
Sure would like something positive to talk about though, other then just about how much this sucks at the moment.

jloome
07-19-2013, 06:04 PM
Time to pray they're milking it; maybe someone famous will be spotted at the game this weekend

Abou Sky
07-19-2013, 06:33 PM
Well, speculation is in the thread title...

I did notice that TFC reporters went quiet for a while this afternoon on twitter... Of course, they could have just been having lunch.

ginkster88
07-19-2013, 07:08 PM
Well, speculation is in the thread title...

I did notice that TFC reporters went quiet for a while this afternoon on twitter... Of course, they could have just been having lunch.

Or they're just headed to the cottage. I know I would ;)

69Chevy396
07-19-2013, 07:13 PM
Time to pray they're milking it; maybe someone famous will be spotted at the game this weekend
Jeez, is Kevin Harmse coming back?

nonc
07-19-2013, 07:35 PM
Payne hahaha. You knew this comedy was coming, just like you knew we wouldn't win against 10 man Chivas. You don't even notice the mismanagement anymore.

moralis
07-19-2013, 07:39 PM
Interesting news about a bout a possible signing of Lucas Melano - 20 year old striker from Belgrano of Argentina - Would be a young DP:

Ernesto Maluf ‏@ernestomaluf 19m
#River habría ofertado u$s 1.250.000 x el 50% del pase de Lucas Melano (#Belgrano), mientras que #TorontoFC pagaría u$s 2.700.00 x el 70%.

https://twitter.com/ernestomaluf/status/358378379881365504

TFC offering 2.7 million for 70% of his transfer. River plate offering 1.25 million for 50%.

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/lucas-melano/leistungsdaten/spieler_220753.html

The Wikipedia version is in Spanish.

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucas_Melano

Good young striker with a lot of upside. Very much coveted. TFC have been tracking him for some time.

ginkster88
07-19-2013, 07:42 PM
How long before Caldwell's brother Gary ends up in Red?

Corpand
07-19-2013, 07:43 PM
Would be an interesting option. Risky as fuck, seeing that we have no leverage on the idea if he can even adapt to this league. Would be fantastic to see him playing with Laba.

jloome
07-19-2013, 10:59 PM
Would be an interesting option. Risky as fuck, seeing that we have no leverage on the idea if he can even adapt to this league. Would be fantastic to see him playing with Laba.

This is a translation from a Swiss paper, June 21. Looks like we lost him to Kasimpasa.

http://www.tagblatt.ch/aktuell/sport/fcsg/Scarione-will-gehen-Dreimillionen-Deal;art33792,3447879

FOOTBALL. The 28-year-old Argentinian Oscar Scarione FC St.Gallen has announced that he wants to leave the club. The Argentine is in intense negotiations with the Turkish club Kasimpasa Istanbul.
Is still the top scorer last season with FC St. Gallen under contract. "He has a contract with us until the end of June 2014," said spokesman Daniel FCSG media load. Three clubs - Toronto, Canada, and the Turkish club Kayserispor and Kasimpasa, the Fifth and Sixth last championship in the Süper Lig - but have extended the probe after the prolific playmaker in Eastern Switzerland, and shall lucrative offers. This seems the Argentines now to succumb, even though he had stressed a few weeks ago, only to change into a league that brings him more athletic and go to a country where his family feels comfortable and safe. But numbers seem to change views.

Richard
07-19-2013, 11:51 PM
Is it me or does it seem we cant sign players we go after more than usual this season? I know privately the club places requests all the time and fails, however this season more than previous ones feels different, I think we are at now 6+ players who have been linked seriously to fall through. I don't know, considering the comments by Payne and the hype the group built it seems like they have failed to get the players they wanted near the opening of the window, this dry spell makes it seem like we are having a significantly hard time attracting players. Hopefully this changes in the coming week or two.

OgtheDim
07-20-2013, 05:52 AM
More likely we are a known buyer, especially after the publicity of Nelsen's hiring. We are being used by agents as a third option to get more money. The agent contacts TFC, nothing happens, no real interest shown, but TFC is labelled as interested.

Ultra & Proud
07-20-2013, 07:17 AM
More likely we are a known buyer, especially after the publicity of Nelsen's hiring. We are being used by agents as a third option to get more money. The agent contacts TFC, nothing happens, no real interest shown, but TFC is labelled as interested.
This and also that we are trying for younger players with promise so other clubs want them too. Before we were aiming at what nobody in their right minds would even look at.

ManUtd4ever
07-20-2013, 07:45 AM
Make no mistake, our organization has a reputation that precedes it, and our current management regime is paying the price for the mistakes of the past.

Thank goodness our ownership group has the deepest pockets in the league, or we would have absolutely no hope of recruiting any decent players at this point in time.

69Chevy396
07-20-2013, 07:53 AM
This and also that we are trying for younger players with promise so other clubs want them too. Before we were aiming at what nobody in their right minds would even look at.
Your last sentence is telling. Which right minds were involved in the acquisition of Bostock, Ephrain, and about a dozen other useless players signed by Payne? Same dummies are doing the thinking today.

flamehawk
07-20-2013, 08:09 AM
Make no mistake, our organization has a reputation that precedes it, and our current management regime is paying the price for the mistakes of the past.

Thank goodness our ownership group has the deepest pockets in the league, or we would have absolutely no hope of recruiting any decent players at this point in time.

Unfortunately, our current group isn't doing ourselves any favours either in terms of repairing that reputation - though not entirely their fault [ie. the cap]. I am thinking of the nature of getting rid of players like Dunfield, Califf, Cesar, O'Dea etc. etc. Not saying these decisions didn't need to be made . but the optics are horrible.

Ultra & Proud
07-20-2013, 08:37 AM
Your last sentence is telling. Which right minds were involved in the acquisition of Bostock, Ephrain, and about a dozen other useless players signed by Payne? Same dummies are doing the thinking today.
In this league you win some and lose some, just like in every other league. It's just amplified here as we have a very low cap and a small roster in comparison to Europe. A big club like say Man U signs an equal or better amount of duds than us or any other MLS club. All young ones but ones that never develop as expected so they rot in the reserve league or spend years loaned out to lower league clubs. They just score big with stars as they have no cap and often no financial restraints either. Bostock was thought of enough to be pegged a future star at Spurs and for the England under 20's. Classic bust. Ephraim is a similar story. All these useless players, minus the USL/NASL guys, were thought to be useful enough to be on and/or get minutes on EPL clubs so you roll the dice sometimes and that's what those loans were for. I was more referring to when we signed the likes of Saric, Usanov, Martina, Hscanovics, Roselund, Hemming, Gomez, Sanyang, etc to contracts, not loans. We have had a long list of hopeless players we usually overpaid to play here.

jazzy
07-20-2013, 08:42 AM

maybe this could be the only reason to sign a 'big' name , to make us look more attractive . God knows we really don't need a Kaka or Forlan , (the cost), (the value), as much as we need numerous positions filled with 'A' players. Surely the world can see how hopeless we arre also . Why send your player here unless you could get huge $$.

jloome
07-20-2013, 08:43 AM
In this league you win some and lose some, just like in every other league. It's just amplified here as we have a very low cap and a small roster in comparison to Europe. A big club like say Man U signs an equal or better amount of duds than us or any other MLS club. All young ones but ones that never develop as expected so they rot in the reserve league or spend years loaned out to lower league clubs. They just score big with stars as they have no cap and often no financial restraints either. Bostock was thought of enough to be pegged a future star at Spurs and for the England under 20's. Classic bust. Ephraim is a similar story. All these useless players, minus the USL/NASL guys, were thought to be useful enough to be on and/or get minutes on EPL clubs so you roll the dice sometimes and that's what those loans were for. I was more referring to when we signed the likes of Saric, Usanov, Martina, Hscanovics, Roselund, Hemming, Gomez, Sanyang, etc to contracts, not loans. We have had a long list of hopeless players we usually overpaid to play here.

Bostock just signed with Royal Antwerp, a Man Utd. affiliate in the Belgian Second Division. Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink is the current coach. He's still just a 21-year-old kid and can still have a good career.

ArmenJBX
07-20-2013, 08:50 AM
Thought we signed Alexandre Pato.

Halfway throughout writing article before I realized it wasn't real. Got my four wisdom teeth taken out yesterday, was hallucinating from the pain killers. Took a look at the computer screen and my "article" was just the words Pato Pato Pato Pato TFC.

Haddy
07-20-2013, 09:08 AM

No sense in naming players that were stop-gap solutions to try and get TFC to the summer window. There was a small glimmer of hope they could blossom in to more and stay longer, but in the end they turned out to be exactly what we should have expected.

IMO there are a few issues with signing high quality in the higher-traffic summer window.

1. Playing for a club that a Google search yields zero positive impressions.
2. Playing for a club that has a history of instability and a reputation to can whomever signs you.
3. Playing for a club that more than likely means you will not be selected for a World Cup team (applies to big names we all dream of like a Kaka)
4. Playing for a club that isn't willing to pay you any more than another MLS team (aside from DPs), now that PM is gone, combined with a losing record and horrible team morale.
5. Playing for a club that has caused hundreds of doctors to diagnose thousands of fans with severe depression.

If a player can see past these issues, and many do but not all, than welcome to the club.

Ultimately, you better hope Nelsen and Payne are stellar salesmen.

Based on Nelsen's recent comments of being a 'scary team'...all I could think of is..."WHO'S BETTER THAN TFC?? NOOOOOOBBBOOODDDYYYYY!!!!!"

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-bOEqbqImU9Y/Tqs56xC2VbI/AAAAAAAAAUQ/yBvtuu9iWj8/s400/mel%2Blastman.jpg

69Chevy396
07-20-2013, 10:48 AM
No sense in naming players that were stop-gap solutions to try and get TFC to the summer window. There was a small glimmer of hope they could blossom in to more and stay longer, but in the end they turned out to be exactly what we should have expected.

IMO there are a few issues with signing high quality in the higher-traffic summer window.

1. Playing for a club that a Google search yields zero positive impressions.
2. Playing for a club that has a history of instability and a reputation to can whomever signs you.
3. Playing for a club that more than likely means you will not be selected for a World Cup team (applies to big names we all dream of like a Kaka)
4. Playing for a club that isn't willing to pay you any more than another MLS team (aside from DPs), now that PM is gone, combined with a losing record and horrible team morale.
5. Playing for a club that has caused hundreds of doctors to diagnose thousands of fans with severe depression.

If a player can see past these issues, and many do but not all, than welcome to the club.

Ultimately, you better hope Nelsen and Payne are stellar salesmen.

Based on Nelsen's recent comments of being a 'scary team'...all I could think of is..."WHO'S BETTER THAN TFC?? NOOOOOOBBBOOODDDYYYYY!!!!!"

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-bOEqbqImU9Y/Tqs56xC2VbI/AAAAAAAAAUQ/yBvtuu9iWj8/s400/mel%2Blastman.jpgWife Marilyn would do a better job managing the team.

69Chevy396
07-20-2013, 10:53 AM
You guys are aware that seven years of futility having managers do the same things repeatedly likely means the current regime is doomed. There is something else going on here because every team in this league faces the same challenges but only TFC stays at or near the bottom all the time. For me it is an ownership issue, mlse can build houses in Jamaica, fix basketcourts in the city, erect pretty condos and hire gorgeous waitresses for their bar, but they cannot build winning sports franchises.

Milanista
07-20-2013, 11:05 AM
Pato left Milan so he can be good enough to play for the world cup...lol if he came to tfc i would laugh my ass off and go to every game bc he is a former Milanista

ag futbol
07-20-2013, 12:15 PM
Bostock just signed with Royal Antwerp, a Man Utd. affiliate in the Belgian Second Division. Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink is the current coach. He's still just a 21-year-old kid and can still have a good career.
Heard a rumor has it Bostock and the rest of the locker-room meshed much like oil and water. Apparently nobody liked the guy and he had a big head.

If true, it just adds to a long list of reasons why we sent him back.

hulkrogan
07-20-2013, 01:57 PM
He played like he was too good for his teammates. Every time he felt someone should have got him the ball but made a different decision with it he would pout around for a few seconds after.

dantdot
07-20-2013, 02:26 PM
Looks like Lanus outbid us for Melano based on some tweets.

nonc
07-20-2013, 04:00 PM
Payne's next big announcement is to unveil a new assistant coach to take a stranglehold on teacher/peer ratio in the MLS!

ArmenJBX
07-20-2013, 04:02 PM
Heard a rumor has it Bostock and the rest of the locker-room meshed much like oil and water. Apparently nobody liked the guy and he had a big head.

This was not my experience. He seemed well liked in the locker rooms, plus he's got a good head on his shoulders.

moralis
07-20-2013, 08:48 PM
Lucas Melano has signed with Lanus for 2 million dollars for 80% of his future transfer.

TFC offered 2.7 million for 70% of his future sale. Melano did not want to join MLS.

I actually spoke to Matias Laba after the game and he told me that he knew him. Not sure why Laba did not speak with Payne about Melano and try to convince him to sign with TFC.

That's what you have to do because a lot of Argentinians have a misguided view of MLS

Richard
07-20-2013, 08:57 PM
I'm left scratching my head on how we can afford these potential transfer fees. My understanding is the fee is spread out over the length of the contract thus being the cap hit, but even then you have to include the wages. Do we have in excess of 2 million allocation? We seem to have a lot of "Magic Money", the "poof its made available" kind not the regular allocation.

jazzy
07-20-2013, 09:00 PM
glad to see Siiva get a great goal tonight..just saying ...why did he have to go immediately then?....oh ya it was make room for all the signings

barticusz
07-20-2013, 09:13 PM
Well we continue to wait. I for one am not surprised it's taking so long. Its not easy to convince players to join MLS let alone the worst side in the league.

moralis
07-20-2013, 09:22 PM
I agree, but a lot of Argentinians are receiving a misguided view of MLS. The league is improving. I think if Laba spoke to him he could have convinced him to come to TFC. I think Laba might have played with in the Argentinian U-20 side. I think his decision was based on him not wanting to come to MLS. Don't think there was a specific issue with TFC.

NolbertoS
07-20-2013, 09:25 PM
Lucas Melano has signed with Lanus for 2 million dollars for 80% of his future transfer.

TFC offered 2.7 million for 70% of his future sale. Melano did not want to join MLS.

I actually spoke to Matias Laba after the game and he told me that he knew him. Not sure why Laba did not speak with Payne about Melano and try to convince him to sign with TFC.

That's what you have to do because a lot of Argentinians have a misguided view of MLS

Yeah, I read that on ag futbol's tweet. Melano and Urutti dont' want to play in MLS it seems, even after TFC is throwing tons of money at the Argentina club teams. Most Argentines perceive MLS as an inferior league, and since Melano and Urutti played in the there youth national teams, they want a chance to play for the Full National team and they won't get a callup playing in MLS. I'm not sure if TFC is taking a good approach. Why dont' they try to find decent to good prospects rather then top young prospects in the Argentina league that have eyes only for European teams.

nonc
07-20-2013, 09:26 PM
glad to see Siiva get a great goal tonight..just saying ...why did he have to go immediately then?....oh ya it was make room for all the signings

Had to offload Silva's $100,000 so Payne can sign 2 PDL players.

nonc
07-20-2013, 09:31 PM

I think Payne is an OCD pro money manager with a decent eye for what we need, but nothing indicates he's any good at diplomacy which you'd have to say is an important deficiency.

jloome
07-20-2013, 09:43 PM
I think Payne is an OCD pro money manager with a decent eye for what we need, but nothing indicates he's any good at diplomacy which you'd have to say is an important deficiency.

Not to shit disturb or anything, but here's Luis Silva with a beautiful 25-yard drive into the top corner for DC united.

Mind you, they still lost 4-1

http://www.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2013-07-20-CHI-v-DC/highlights/227527

Gaucho
07-20-2013, 09:43 PM

Yeah, not a bad goal:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/video/2013/07/20/goal-luis-silva-beautiful-strike-long-distance

backbeat
07-20-2013, 10:00 PM
Not to shit disturb or anything, but here's Luis Silva with a beautiful 25-yard drive into the top corner for DC united.

Ou est Luis Silva?? g:D

nonc
07-20-2013, 10:00 PM

Great shot, I don't agree with offloading Silva but I'll care less if KP shuts up for one second and delivers.

burlington Red
07-20-2013, 11:09 PM

explain this rumour

Abou Sky
07-20-2013, 11:19 PM
Great shot, I don't agree with offloading Silva but I'll care less if KP shuts up for one second and delivers.

Anyone notice that at the end of the post game when Nelsen was asked about bringing someone in his mood changes from positive to negative with his head shaking 'no'?

I think that things are going poorly on the transfer side of things.

moralis
07-20-2013, 11:42 PM
I saw the video and I agree with you. Seemed troubled. Talented South Americans are hard to sign even with TFC's boatload of money.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRWNuyrmrdE

Marc"2L"
07-21-2013, 12:10 AM
Oh god the end of that video kills me.

jloome
07-21-2013, 12:31 AM
Oh god the end of that video kills me.

Geez, that's a heartbreaker, that. That last little look at the very end, basically saying "I don't know." Jeez.

Marc"2L"
07-21-2013, 01:39 AM
To be fair, the more I think about it, it's not much different from a reaction to a question you know the answer to, have known it for a while, but can't say anything.

This would apply to both "yeah, we got this guy and wow what a talent" and "yeah, it's all fallen apart and we're working on a time machine because that's our best shot at the moment".

mowe
07-21-2013, 03:08 AM
On the broadcast Lee Godfrey mentioned Payne told him they expect to get a couple new players in by the Columbus game. If we don't have any signings by then I think we can start to worry.

tfcleeds
07-21-2013, 06:13 AM
On the broadcast Lee Godfrey mentioned Payne told him they expect to get a couple new players in by the Columbus game. If we don't have any signings by then I think we can start to worry.

I just hope they aren't some of the names that were being thrown around on Friday afternoon.

Still Kicking
07-21-2013, 07:31 AM
I think Nelsen is playing poker...earlier when asked about a language barrier with Laba he does not talk about Laba's progress in English although the question seems to lead that way. He says instead that everyone should speak Spanish in the midfield. Nelsen saying Spanish speaking signings are expected?

Pint
07-21-2013, 07:33 AM
I think Nelsen is playing poker...earlier when asked about a language barrier with Laba he does not talk about Laba's progress in English although the question seems to lead that way. He says instead that everyone should speak Spanish in the midfield. Nelsen saying Spanish speaking signings are expected?

I guess that means we need 2 players in the mid. I assume osorio picked up Spanish while in SA.

[NBF]
07-21-2013, 09:11 AM
I guess that means we need 2 players in the mid. I assume osorio picked up Spanish while in SA.

The guy's name is "Osorio" and he didn't know Spanish before heading to Uruguay to play soccer? C'mon Man!

IMO, $2 million dollars per player, is a frightening thought, because what you're saying is that for $2 million dollars TFCA can't produce 1 player for the first team. This kind of wild spending to me says that Payne will last one season and maybe a few months into next season.

Pint
07-21-2013, 10:41 AM
;1602210']The guy's name is "Osorio" and he didn't know Spanish before heading to Uruguay to play soccer? C'mon Man!

IMO, $2 million dollars per player, is a frightening thought, because what you're saying is that for $2 million dollars TFCA can't produce 1 player for the first team. This kind of wild spending to me says that Payne will last one season and maybe a few months into next season.

I have a few friends on SA decent who don't speak much Spanish so having a Spanish sounding last name doesn't mean you speak the language.

ag futbol
07-21-2013, 11:21 AM

Can you blame them though? MLS isn't feeding nearly as many players to Europe as other leagues out there. Argentina is still a better place to develop and more respected. Realistically, given that it's MLS and given that we are a club with a poor reputation, the offers can't be marginally better, they have to be superior. I want to see more money on the table to get these deals done.

As a side note, I think we need to start looking at more regular roster players as well. Everything we've been linked to lately has been DP quality... we still need regular roster players in the 120-250k range to strengthen this squad. The type of MLS players that typically come from Honduras, Columbia, CR, etc...

jloome
07-21-2013, 12:13 PM
Can you blame them though? MLS isn't feeding nearly as many players to Europe as other leagues out there. Argentina is still a better place to develop and more respected. Realistically, given that it's MLS and given that we are a club with a poor reputation, the offers can't be marginally better, they have to be superior. I want to see more money on the table to get these deals done.

As a side note, I think we need to start looking at more regular roster players as well. Everything we've been linked to lately has been DP quality... we still need regular roster players in the 120-250k range to strengthen this squad. The type of MLS players that typically come from Honduras, Columbia, CR, etc...

According to Star boy's (the Irish dude with the good turn of phrase but the shit information, can't remember the name) interview with Lieweke one of the two we're currently focussed on is demanding to be the league's highest paid player.

Lieweke also said there were maybe 10 other players on Earth with that kind of exposure, which means it has to be Kaka or Drogba or someone of that caliber. Not sure Forlan would even meet that description.

tfcleeds
07-21-2013, 12:27 PM
Right now, I don't even care about DPs. I just want any news of young S. American/C. American players that might fit with Paysen's long-term vision coming to fruition. Lord knows our squad is threadbare enough.

Super
07-21-2013, 12:49 PM
According to Star boy's (the Irish dude with the good turn of phrase but the shit information, can't remember the name) interview with Lieweke one of the two we're currently focussed on is demanding to be the league's highest paid player.

Lieweke also said there were maybe 10 other players on Earth with that kind of exposure, which means it has to be Kaka or Drogba or someone of that caliber. Not sure Forlan would even meet that description.

Basically we're likely pushing to get one guy who is not for sale (Kaka) and one who would demand the biggest salary in the history of the MLS: Forlan. Makes sense to me. Both are MASSIVE names. And it would give TFC a lot of publicity. Check these numbers: TFC has 48000 twitter followers. Forlan himself has 3.5 million twitter followers. Kaka is 16 million. 16 million twitter followers would learn about TFC if we were to get Kaka. That's a fun idea.

ginkster88
07-21-2013, 12:58 PM
Forlan is not the massive name that Kaka is. He just isn't. 2010 WC aside he's not achieved nearly the success Kaka has.

Super
07-21-2013, 01:00 PM
Forlan is not the massive name that Kaka is. He just isn't. 2010 WC aside he's not achieved nearly the success Kaka has.

Being MVP and top scorer of the most recent world cup puts Forlan in that category. But yes, Kaka is a much, MUCH bigger name for sure.

Ivy
07-21-2013, 01:25 PM
Agreed. I get a feeling that afew people on these boards didn't even know of Forlan until he was heavily linked to TFC.

Stress
07-21-2013, 02:58 PM
Inter officially signed Scocco (striker). Could be cover for Forlan or Damiao transfers.

Ivy
07-21-2013, 03:02 PM
Damiao has been linked to Napoli

ginkster88
07-21-2013, 03:19 PM
Being MVP and top scorer of the most recent world cup puts Forlan in that category. But yes, Kaka is a much, MUCH bigger name for sure.

It's sort of like a good player getting hot in the playoffs. Across their careers Kaka has by far the more impressive résumé. Forlan has a few scoring titles and one transcendent World Cup performance. Kaka has a plethora of European awards, as well as a FIFA player of the year.

That, and Kaka is still just 31, three years Forlan's junior.

Super
07-21-2013, 03:22 PM
Agreed. I get a feeling that afew people on these boards didn't even know of Forlan until he was heavily linked to TFC.

Everybody who watches football knows Forlan. But yeah, there may be a few on here who missed the last WC and never watch EPL, Serie A or La Liga.

Super
07-21-2013, 03:26 PM
It's sort of like a good player getting hot in the playoffs. Across their careers Kaka has by far the more impressive résumé. Forlan has a few scoring titles and one transcendent World Cup performance. Kaka has a plethora of European awards, as well as a FIFA player of the year.

That, and Kaka is still just 31, three years Forlan's junior.

I would definitely take Kaka over Forlan. But Forlan has been pretty impressive throughout most of his career, less so for Man Utd or Internazionale.

ginkster88
07-21-2013, 03:28 PM
Everybody who watches football knows Forlan. But yeah, there may be a few on here who missed the last WC and never watch EPL, Serie A or La Liga.

The sentiment that North Americans aren't familiar with Forlan is not misplaced. He underperformed in the EPL, played for Spanish clubs that aren't Real or Barcelona and flamed out of Serie A. Not the kind of track record that leads to widespread NA fame.

anto7
07-21-2013, 03:28 PM
Inter are playing right now. Anyone know if Forlan is in the line up or know how to find out ?

Richard
07-21-2013, 03:32 PM
The sentiment that North Americans aren't familiar with Forlan is not misplaced. He underperformed in the EPL, played for Spanish clubs that aren't Real or Barcelona and flamed out of Serie A. Not the kind of track record that leads to widespread NA fame.

Yeah that's true. I mean he really only had 3 bad years in his whole career. At ManU he was young and was trying to make a huge leap in playing level, and Inter was just a bad situation for him. His years in Spain are amazing, severely underrated by a lot people.

wzhxvy
07-21-2013, 03:34 PM
So this mystery player wants more then Henry's $4.35M...there is no way that is Forlan, or at least that particular play is not Forlan...Forlan might be the second player.

Also, if it is KaKa and I know this is silly to say but it is reality...I am sure they are thinking of the many people who will get KaKa TFC shirts because they think it is amusing more than any real knowledge of the player...I am sure merchandise sales are a consideration.

ginkster88
07-21-2013, 03:34 PM
Yeah that's true. I mean he really only had 3 bad years in his whole career. At ManU he was young and was trying to make a huge leap in playing level, and Inter was just a bad situation for him. His years in Spain are amazing, severely underrated by a lot people.

He's had an amazing career, but without 2010 most outside of serious football/La Liga fans wouldn't know about him.

PopePouri
07-21-2013, 03:35 PM
Inter are playing right now. Anyone know if Forlan is in the line up or know how to find out ?
Yes and yes.

http://espnfc.com/us/en/gamecast/365607/gamecast.html?soccernet=true&cc=5901

anto7
07-21-2013, 03:39 PM
Yes and yes.

http://espnfc.com/us/en/gamecast/365607/gamecast.html?soccernet=true&cc=5901
Cheers

Ivy
07-21-2013, 03:59 PM
Forlan's time in Inter Milan was unfortunate, and a lot of it was not his fault. Inter was in a downward slope after winning the Treble in 2009-2010 and trying to find a new personality after Morinho left. Forlan was brought in to be their goal scoring savior, but suffered a relatively long injury to his leg (I think it was a torn hemmy) when he wasn't able to recover quick enough or whatever other reason, Inter sold him.
He was a beast in Madrid, and a pretty damn good player for internacional. If he played for Real or Barca and his face was mounted on a FIFA case, he would be seen as auch greater player.

ginkster88
07-21-2013, 04:05 PM
If he played for Real or Barca and his face was mounted on a FIFA case, he would be seen as auch greater player.

That's all I'm saying.

jazzy
07-21-2013, 04:10 PM

but a better player , although Forlan is at the end I think Kaka is also..imo...he's not what he was . Did he ever play above his reputation ? Forlan on the other hand with a slighly weaker side DID deliver in 2010. Period

Marc"2L"
07-21-2013, 04:17 PM
http://youtu.be/lbjfOZiWVbA

69Chevy396
07-21-2013, 05:20 PM
It would be a mistake signing Kaka over Forlan. Forlan can score buckets of goals, Kaka needs a striker to finish his wondrful distribution. Last time I checked we are last in mls in scoring.

ensco
07-21-2013, 05:33 PM
Fine. Forlan didn't work out. Probably for the best.

This is what would make me happy: I hope Payne has the discipline to selll all this allocation back to one of the contenders, so that they can add DPs, in return for really terrific young domestic assets.

At the end of this, I want to see Silva more than replaced.

If they just buy whoever they can get, they are fools.

Super
07-21-2013, 05:53 PM
Forlan got subbed today in the 71st minute. Had a few shots on goal, but all off target. Inter won 1-0 in overtime.

jloome
07-21-2013, 06:02 PM
Fine. Forlan didn't work out. Probably for the best.

This is what would make me happy: I hope Payne has the discipline to selll all this allocation back to one of the contenders, so that they can add DPs, in return for really terrific young domestic assets.

At the end of this, I want to see Silva more than replaced.

If they just buy whoever they can get, they are fools.

Well, Lieweke's interview was pretty foolish. He was basically saying "TFC fans deserve a show pony" as an immediate reward. We don't want an immediate fucking reward, we want a good team. If NOT signing someone like Kaka will get us five potential MLS all-stars, I don't give a shit what their names are.

I wonder from the way Nelsen talked in that post-game whether he's on that same page; he seemed a little frustrated.

Pint
07-21-2013, 06:17 PM
I tend to agree... this "major" DP will not be around when we are truly competing (2 years i hope). It is all about getting TFC recognized internationally and getting some positive press in the city... For entertainment value it would be good but it isn't a move for the long term success of the team.

Morlesio14
07-21-2013, 06:19 PM
Well, Lieweke's interview was pretty foolish. He was basically saying "TFC fans deserve a show pony" as an immediate reward. We don't want an immediate fucking reward, we want a good team. If NOT signing someone like Kaka will get us five potential MLS all-stars, I don't give a shit what their names are.

I wonder from the way Nelsen talked in that post-game whether he's on that same page; he seemed a little frustrated.

yes but people like us believe in slowly and smartly improving the team, i.e Laba, caldwell. But a lot of people just want that one star player, i.e Forlan. Also signing i guy like forlan, puts asses in the seats. I believe in slow increments. Leiweke, mabye not