PDA

View Full Version : I support Payne/Nelsen no matter what happens tomorrow, or this year

ensco
03-01-2013, 12:12 PM
I promise not to get really upset about anything the team does until 2014

signed
ensco

Greatest Ripoff
03-01-2013, 12:14 PM
cosigned. I would be thrilled if these two occupy their current jobs at the start of next season.

Gazza
03-01-2013, 12:15 PM
Serenity now.

Ben - D.O.W.
03-01-2013, 12:15 PM
Thrilled and shocked.

I've completely written off this year - my only hope is we get more than 5 wins (preferably at home games I can be at).

themodelcitizen
03-01-2013, 12:37 PM
I get the sentiment, as Nelsen hasn't really had time to do anything, but surely there's some blame to go to Payne for hiring a guy who, you know, was still playing in the Premier League a month ago? Whether or not he's "the most professional person I've ever met" that seems to be setting up for failure, especially in a team that needs stability first and foremost. Just because it's our practice to handicap ourselves doesn't mean we should just unquestionably accept it. Payne deserves criticism more than unwavering loyalty so far.

Initial B
03-01-2013, 12:40 PM
I'm not calling for anyone's head until mid-2015 at the earliest. I'm just going to sit back, watch, and retreat back into my happy place in the face of this year's coming devestation. Give the pieces at least 18 months to work together before starting to analyse the resulting team.

mowe
03-01-2013, 12:57 PM
While I agree that this regime shouldn't be judged on these first few games, giving them a pass for the whole year is excessive. There is plenty of time over the course of the season and no shortage of resources (cap space, allocation) to build a competitive team. As of right now TFC are without a doubt the worst team in the league but if they finish last this season would have been a failure. Payne and Nelson have to prove they are on the right path and that starts tomorrow.

Personally I will wait until the summer window to assess the direction of this club. That gives enough time to judge Nelson's coaching ability and Payne will have no more excuses for bringing in players. All I hope for is a competitive team that has a chance to get a result in every game. I don't think that's too much to ask.

notthesun
03-01-2013, 01:01 PM
I get the sentiment, as Nelsen hasn't really had time to do anything, but surely there's some blame to go to Payne for hiring a guy who, you know, was still playing in the Premier League a month ago? Whether or not he's "the most professional person I've ever met" that seems to be setting up for failure, especially in a team that needs stability first and foremost. Just because it's our practice to handicap ourselves doesn't mean we should just unquestionably accept it. Payne deserves criticism more than unwavering loyalty so far.

I don't think there is any blame to be placed on Payne for Nelsen's hiring yet, because we still haven't seen him coach. You can be skeptical, sure, but if Nelsen turns out to be a brilliant coach wouldn't you take this post back? So while his hiring may be a risk, he deserves the same amount of patience you would give any new manager.

I won't be unconditionally supportive. If Payne makes what I think is a bad trade or bad signing, I'll say so. If Nelsen makes what I think is a bad substitution or bad tactical decision, I'll say so. But if we miss the playoffs this year I won't be calling for either of them to be fired. This is a full-scale rebuild, so I'm more than willing to give them both their fair shake, even if things go bad in the early stages. If we're mid-way through next season and we're sitting bottom of the table with no indications of improvement, then I think it's fair to start asking serious questions.

DangerRed
03-01-2013, 01:04 PM
I hearby declare I will support Payne and Nelsen entirely no matter what happens this year. This does NOT mean, however, that I will not criticize tactics, results, performances of players or inevitable ineptitude of the front office.

NOW LET'S GET ON WITH THE FUCKIN' FOOTBALL BOYS!!!!!!

CBTFC
03-01-2013, 01:08 PM
This place is hilarious sometimes...not even a single game played yet, no appearances from our many new signings this week, no return from Danny K. Yet you're already prepared to write off the entire season.

If I every get to hang out with some of you guys, I'm bringing the strongest weed I have and will easily share it with you to help chill out a bit.

lol.

ManUtd4ever
03-01-2013, 01:28 PM

signed
ensco

I'm going to hold you to that, LOL.

Good thread sir.

TOBOR !
03-01-2013, 01:39 PM
I feel like we're all wandering around in some cursed woods, following paths that twist on themselves so we always find ourselves back where we started, but more distrusting of one another.

Any time we feel like we're getting somewhere the trees shift, undetectably, forcing us in a direction we don't want to go. Then it gets dark and we're buggered.

Sort of like I felt two years ago, except the sun was out and birds were singing. Now it's just all 'ah, so we're back here again - shall we try going this way ?'

rowjimi
03-01-2013, 01:48 PM
I am throwing my trust in Payne and Nelsen. I think as long as Payne gets to keep the soccer decisions in his realm we will see steady improvement. No rose coloured glasses for playoffs because I think the first three months will show those improving signs just not a lot of points.

OgtheDim
03-01-2013, 01:51 PM
I promise that until June of 2014, I will not call for Payne and Nelson to be fired for their efforts with Toronto FC.

ensco
03-01-2013, 01:57 PM
I'm going to hold you to that, LOL.

Good thread sir.

Well, win or lose (probably lose), this is the first time I've thought the FO had credible football people making decisions.

It's kind of an AA type pledge, though. Could be tough. g:D

Auzzy
03-01-2013, 01:58 PM
I very much agree with the sentiment of this thread! Sure I'll bitch a bit as necessary. But I won't freak & I won't call for anyone's head. For me, that actually extends into next season, as long as I see that this club is on some kind of long-term, upward trajectory. Personally, that's not necessarily about results at this point. It means competing every game. It means, if something screws up one game, not doing it over & over again the following games. It means getting decent players at decent prices (and gradually improving in that respect as well, as we're sure to get some lemons, some injuries, etc). It means, trying to avoid getting excited about some big players if the team isn't ready for them; or if the player doesn't fit; or if they're over-paying; or if the contract conditions are not otherwise favourable.

I'm not actually that convinced about Payne as some are, after hearing a bit more from DC. However, he's respected in the league, and he's the best we've had by far in his role. I'm not yet sure if he's much more than mediocre in MLS -- but I realize, mediocre is a huge improvement over TFC's past performance. Mediocre at least means contending for a playoff spot, and at least slipping into the playoffs now and then. That's not my end goal for TFC -- but it's a start, and much better than the past. After a year or so of respectable mediocrity, I'm hoping they can build towards something better. But that will NEVER, EVER happen if we keep pulling the plug after 12 to 18 months!

ManUtd4ever
03-01-2013, 02:03 PM
While I agree that this regime shouldn't be judged on these first few games, giving them a pass for the whole year is excessive. There is plenty of time over the course of the season and no shortage of resources (cap space, allocation) to build a competitive team. As of right now TFC are without a doubt the worst team in the league but if they finish last this season would have been a failure. Payne and Nelson have to prove they are on the right path and that starts tomorrow.

Personally I will wait until the summer window to assess the direction of this club. That gives enough time to judge Nelson's coaching ability and Payne will have no more excuses for bringing in players. All I hope for is a competitive team that has a chance to get a result in every game. I don't think that's too much to ask.

Why would you assume that we are the worst team in the league without the benefit of watching our players performance on the pitch?

On paper, I think we have a good mix of youth and experience after all the latest acquisitions, and a decent collective skillset.

Our roster will bare little resemblance to the one that finished last overall last year once the season is underway.

Suds
03-01-2013, 02:05 PM
I'll say I'm happier the decisions made are about starting new. No half measures. No dual role overlap of coach & manger crap. No moves that always seem to be made to cover someone's ass or push responsibility off.

Payne is making bold moves. It's on him. No hiding behind committee decisions. Payne is going to pass or or fail and it's clear he is leading the club. I love it!! I don't know if he's made all the right moves. Time will tell. But I'm much happier with the direction than I have been in years.

Time to get behind this team and leave all the other crap aside. I think I'll enjoy game days much better this way.

Corpand
03-01-2013, 02:09 PM
I would love to say the same thing.

As long as the coaching staff play decent tactics the proper way (not play Wynne on wing or experiment with Maund in midfield where he was absolutely useless) by picking the players with the best form to start. Just reading today's article by Payne where he mentions training to control the game even when its not advantageous for us gives me hope for more discipline, less goals conceded in the 90th minute.

Carts
03-01-2013, 02:49 PM
Time to get behind this team and leave all the other crap aside. I think I'll enjoy game days much better this way.

Enjoy them better than the old way??? That old way being "DRUNK"... :drinking:

Oldtimer
03-01-2013, 02:58 PM
I support Payne, not blindly, but because of his record at DC. I will support him this season no matter what happens.
I will give Nelsen support at least until mid-season, and probably longer.

Canary10
03-01-2013, 02:59 PM
It sounds like we're making marriage vows here.....

Yohan
03-01-2013, 03:02 PM
well, TFC certainly makes me feel like an abused wife, but can't stop loving...

Abou Sky
03-01-2013, 03:08 PM
Add another to the vows.

My plan for this year:

1. Go to games
2. Enjoy my friends and my son
3. Drink Beer
4. Eat poor quality food, but have enough beer in me not to care.
5. Cheer when we lose and make a point of yelling out 'good job boys' just if I see the effort there, I want to see the boys come out to the supporters after every game, win or lose for an applause.
6. Go batshit crazy when we win.

Canary10
03-01-2013, 03:10 PM
Oldtimer's Nelsen vow sounded a bit like my wedding vow. Only a bit more committal.

Gazza
03-01-2013, 03:15 PM
I vow to be drunk enough before the game to nurse a Michelob Light for two halves in an attempt to be ironic.

I also vow to eat more poutine at games with extra bacon on top.

All whilst wearing my Ji Sung Park #13. And you will then hear me bellow from row 125 "What do you mean we didn't sign Ji Sung Park?" "Ya so..i know i'm drunk...i'm drunk, so what? It's beautiful! You don't like it, you can get the fug out! It's MY house!"

Brooker
03-01-2013, 03:49 PM
If they just try. That's all I ask. The only reason I can forsee myself freaking the fuck out is if they don't work hard enough.

Now, it's time to start the pre-pre-drink in a matter of minutes.

Morlesio14
03-01-2013, 03:58 PM
Add another to the vows.

My plan for this year:

1. Go to games
2. Enjoy my friends and my son
3. Drink Beer
4. Eat poor quality food, but have enough beer in me not to care.
5. Cheer when we lose and make a point of yelling out 'good job boys' just if I see the effort there, I want to see the boys come out to the supporters after every game, win or lose for an applause.
6. Go batshit crazy when we win.

:thumbsup:

gracos
03-01-2013, 04:09 PM
I will give TFC management the benefit of the doubt until Summer Transfer Window of 2014, by then I would hope we are starting to gel, I dont expect Championships every year, but the playoffs are definitely obtainable and we should be in 2014 and beyond

Dv23
03-01-2013, 04:11 PM
I, Dv23, do here so solemnly swear fealty to the Payne/Nelson dynasty, for the duration of six months, during which time they will have free reign to do as they please with my beloved football club.

tfcleeds
03-01-2013, 04:12 PM
It's 2007 redux (and I'm not just talking about ticket prices in 112). It's like starting anew. No, we won't make the playoffs, but hopefully now we'll get to see the club develop properly and see a steady progression instead of regression.

glaze
03-01-2013, 04:15 PM
While I agree the best approach is to have no expectations, to enjoy the games as an afternoon in the sun (hopefully) with friends and a few beers, we still have to see some promising results. What if the team starts 0-10? What if they fail to record a point on the road all season? Nelson still needs to show us something on the field this year. There are more ways to judge results than points.

Abou Sky
03-01-2013, 04:43 PM
While I agree the best approach is to have no expectations, to enjoy the games as an afternoon in the sun (hopefully) with friends and a few beers, we still have to see some promising results. What if the team starts 0-10? What if they fail to record a point on the road all season? Nelson still needs to show us something on the field this year. There are more ways to judge results than points.

It's tough because an 0 and 7 start isn't out of the question, it is a hard start to the season.

A hard fought 1 nil loss to KC is nothing to be ashamed of.

jazzy
03-01-2013, 06:24 PM
how can you not be impressed with the class and intelligence of Ryan Nelson........I admire the man and realize he's starting graciously from scratch. 2 years of slow hard working progress is fine.Let'shave some fun and excitement for a change.

Rudy
03-01-2013, 07:45 PM
Why didn't the Aaron Winter team get the same courtesy extended to him as a new coach?

jloome
03-01-2013, 07:58 PM
Why didn't the Aaron Winter team get the same courtesy extended to him as a new coach?

Well, the worst offenders aren't here anymore. And the generally unsympathetic might not have known better.

But also, Payne has had vast success in MLS, Nelsen inspires leadership confidence. Not sure Winter projected the latter and he certainly didn't have the former. And I liked a lot of how the team played back then (when it worked, in CCL).

ensco
03-01-2013, 08:02 PM

Good question.

I went after Winter immediately, and would do it again.

I'm not a fanboy. I don't like everything I've seen since Payne came in. But Payne and Nelsen are on the spectrum of credible choices for an MLS FO. Winter was a terrific person, but not a credible head of the FO, or coach (let alone both!). Which he proved in spades.

I felt bad about going after him, but that's life in the big city. He never should have been given the job.

Auzzy
03-01-2013, 08:03 PM

^ Well, Winter did get almost 1 1/2 years. So I'm not sure what "courtesy" you're talking about. (Then again, it's not clear how much control & support Winter ever really got, so yeah it absolutely wasn't fair. Consider the genius finds of Andy Iro, Geovanni Caicedo, and many more; and other interference from Mariner/Cochrane etc. that we've heard about.)

Note: I thought the firing of Winter & installment of Mariner, a few months before the MLSE sale & expected management change, and under an obviously 100% incapable upper management of Tom Anselmi, was idiocy of the absolute highest degree. However, I just don't get your "courtesy" point, because it was after 18 months.

EDIT: A couple of people were extremely pissed after DeRo left, so that clouded Winter's first year. But once that had settled down, the knives didn't really come out as much until we got far into the disastrous start of the 2012 MLS season. I expect the same thing if Payne/Nelsen are bombing in similar fashion at the beginning of 2014. With a more cohesive and clear management structure in place, it would also be more fair in that case.

themodelcitizen
03-01-2013, 08:38 PM
This place is hilarious sometimes...not even a single game played yet, no appearances from our many new signings this week, no return from Danny K. Yet you're already prepared to write off the entire season.

If I every get to hang out with some of you guys, I'm bringing the strongest weed I have and will easily share it with you to help chill out a bit.

lol.

I'll be at BC Place tomorrow smoking that BC bud and I'm pretty sure it's the only thing that will keep my from screaming bloody murder at Nelsen/Payne/the TFC bench. I'm not writing off the season yet, and hell if things go well tomorrow Nelsen has my blessing, but it doesn't look good. There's a reason most of the journalists around the team are writing some pretty negative season previews.

Jack
03-01-2013, 08:47 PM

lol.
Which place? I'd like to go to a hilarious place!

Redcoe15
03-01-2013, 09:09 PM
My new signature says it all...

OgtheDim
03-01-2013, 09:16 PM

More like job descriptions........without the other duties as assigned bit.

SilverSamurai
03-02-2013, 01:40 PM
As long as their is an improvement over last year, I'll support.
But really, can things get any worst?

Richard
03-02-2013, 02:12 PM
As long as their is an improvement over last year, I'll support.
But really, can things get any worst?

We dont want to go down that rabbit hole. lol

Mr. Bigby
03-02-2013, 02:30 PM

Well, in many ways it IS a marriage. The team (owners, coaches and players) NEED the fans in general and the supporters groups in particular to fund the team and provide the ever elusive '12th man' through our passion and support. Conversly, we need the product on the field through which we can live our dreams and enjoy the game in common cause with our fellows.

At the beginning, we were young and impressionable. In Mo we trusted, and we were let down horribly. Then came a series of reboots from Preki through Winter to Mariner to today. In each case we were quick to judge and dismiss. If success was not immediate, the knives came out. We were (and I suspect still are) all too ready to sacrifice long term vision in pusuit of immediate success. I understand the feelings of those who say: Patience hell, we've been waiting for 6 years and we need results now! I hate losing as much as anyone and nobody will be happier than I once we start winning regularly. But we know, if we are completely honest with ourselves, that the train wreck that was the team at the end of 2012 will not be reborn as a winning dynasty by the simple addition of a young South American DP or two! We have to develop our young players, give them time to learn and grow and yes, make mistakes that may cost us games but which help them develop. I am willing to suffer through hard fought games that we end up losing in order to reach the point where we exult through hard fought games that we WIN consistently because we have had the patience to allow the infrastructure and culture of a winning team to be developed. I wish the team from the top down and the bottom up the fortitude to struggle through the hard times, and I offer them my support on that journey.

billyfly
03-02-2013, 05:13 PM
Straight in. No kissing.

boban
03-02-2013, 09:07 PM
I will give TFC management the benefit of the doubt until Summer Transfer Window of 2014, by then I would hope we are starting to gel, I dont expect Championships every year, but the playoffs are definitely obtainable and we should be in 2014 and beyond
This preseason they seems more unprepared than when Winter started and they didn't give him the length you are suggesting you give this group.
Sorry, were in for a loooooong season. Ground Hog Day here we come.

sashavukelich
03-02-2013, 09:17 PM
I solemnly swear to let the Management actually make changes, they've already been bold and forthright, now they just need time.

NO PAYNE NO GAIN baby!

SilverSamurai
03-03-2013, 12:21 AM
We dont want to go down that rabbit hole. lol

Think happy thoughts... :)

Shakes McQueen
03-03-2013, 12:39 AM
I'll probably give Payne the same one season buffer I gave Winter, with the expectation that we see noticeable improvement in our play as things go on. Running things in DC doesn't magically make him the man with the foolproof plan in Toronto, and my energy for pleas of "patience" for yet another season, are wearing thin, however. The notion of needing multi-year building projects has been effectively debunked, flogged with a golf club, and set on fire, in the years since Toronto joined the league.

So yeah... I'll give him a season to put together the team he thinks he needs, and then I expect a team worthy of this abused fanbase.

- Scott

burlington Red
03-03-2013, 08:18 AM
I'll be at BC Place tomorrow smoking that BC bud and I'm pretty sure it's the only thing that will keep my from screaming bloody murder at Nelsen/Payne/the TFC bench. I'm not writing off the season yet, and hell if things go well tomorrow Nelsen has my blessing, but it doesn't look good. There's a reason most of the journalists around the team are writing some pretty negative season previews.

In fairness though the journo's writing negative things are pretty clueless, so wouldn't take much notice of what they say. I think in general the majority of fans see and appreciate that Payne is basically re-building something that was very badly broken. It certainly won't happen overnight, but the difference now is that we have a plan. Under Winter and Mariner we had no direction, both were way out of their depth.Some might argue that due to his managerial inexperience that Nelson is out of his depth but the difference now is we have Payne's experience and I feel that will give us that edge that previous managers did not have access to. I do believe there is genuine hope now amongst the fans, something which we basically have never had.

Oldtimer
04-17-2013, 07:53 AM
So... how are people holding up? Are you able to keep to your pledge?

I will continue to support Payne/Nelsen, and I'm now extending my support of Nelsen for the entire season.

TFC_Allez
04-17-2013, 08:30 AM

I will continue to support Payne/Nelsen, and I'm now extending my support of Nelsen for the entire season.

So far so good. The late goals are killing me though...but that's nothing new I guess.

These guys, Payne/Nelsen, they seem to be getting it right. Give them and the players some more time...I think we'll be just fine :)

Globetrotter
04-17-2013, 08:34 AM
I support them until November when we start to completely rebuild for 2014.

prizby
04-17-2013, 08:40 AM

I'm willing to be patient, but support right now has to be earned, not given; not much earned yet

this very much could change depending on the approach taken to the Voyageur's Cup

Oldtimer
04-17-2013, 08:55 AM
I'm willing to be patient, but support right now has to be earned, not given; not much earned yet

this very much could change depending on the approach taken to the Voyageur's Cup

OK, but you didn't pledge to support them "no matter what." You're more a "I'll support them if we win." That's for a different thread. ;)

I was asking those who pledged.

Fort York Redcoat
04-17-2013, 08:57 AM

Which equates to what?

What Nelson and the players say in the media?
What roster Nelsen plays?
What the team does on the day?

Most of these are predictable so I wonder what your turning point would be.

Canary10
04-17-2013, 09:06 AM
I really like Nelsen personally. We don't often get managers with integrity (Winter was one of the few) and he commands respect as well. I figured at the start of the season we would be much better organized than last year, and we are. But we are extremely conservative. Playing two holding midfielders in a 4-4-2 (or 4-4-1-1) is about as conservative as it gets. I can accept it might be needed given how bad we've been at the back, and the need to build confidence. But I'm really hoping we see some evolution in the tactics as new players are brought in etc. At any rate, I'm prepared to support Nelsen the rest of the season. The integrity part is really important to me, as we have rarely as an organization demonstrated any.

ensco
04-17-2013, 09:24 AM
I'm good.

The Argentine business has been mishandled, that's the only thing that has given me any pause, I hope Payne/Nelsen learn not to talk about this stuff (no idea why Payne would need to learn that).

I always thought, and still think, that we're going to lose a lot of games.

I think we'll start playing better in May/June. May still lose games, but won't be on the back foot for 75 minutes, they way we have in most games so far.

Ivy
04-17-2013, 09:42 AM
I'm good.

The Argentine business has been mishandled, that's the only thing that has given me any pause, I hope Payne/Nelsen learn not to talk about this stuff (no idea why Payne would need to learn that).

I always thought, and still think, that we're going to lose a lot of games.

I think we'll start playing better in May/June. May still lose games, but won't be on the back foot for 75 minutes, they way we have in most games so far.
I don't think the Argentines are/were mishandled, and same goes for the Hundarans. I truly believe that TFC are going after GOOD players for once, and the teams that they play for either don't want to let them go, or are taking advantage of TFCs situation; which TFC knows, and backs out of deals when the requests get unreasonable (which is a good thing - I just wish they kept it on the down low until the player was completely signed).

and they haven't lost any games in the dying 15 this year... Lost points, but not games.

prizby
04-17-2013, 09:51 AM
You're more a "I'll support them if we win."

no I am more in, I hope we are putting our best out against a much hated rival

Which equates to what?

What Nelson and the players say in the media?
What roster Nelsen plays?
What the team does on the day?

Most of these are predictable so I wonder what your turning point would be.

how many other managers have said "we are in the right direction" in the past?

What makes this time more believable than the previous 7?

Actions will speak louder than words

Let's say the media never got a handle on the story; could you say this has been mishandled (if we didn't know about it); i wonder how many other times something like this has happened and the media were uninformed?

pdogg
04-17-2013, 10:38 AM
I think the Argentine situation is a good example of how messed up other teams can be as well. If the reports are correct, you have a GM who is trying to sell a player that the coach wants to keep. The coach is reaching above his role and interfering with the GMs duties.

We've seen our fair share of unneeded meddling between back office players and now we're just experiencing it 2nd hand. As far as I can see, so far, we've handled the situation properly. I doubt Payne expected the whole process to get dragged out for another month and wanted the players under their belt sooner rather than later.

ensco
04-17-2013, 11:35 AM
The imminent signings were publicly discussed by both Payne and Nelsen 6 weeks ago, and somebody in TFC's office has been winding up the journalists on this big time. (There were a number of "confirmations" that were provided by Larsen, deVos, Molinaro etc. You think they got that story through their personal connections in Argentina?)

They did it to sell tickets or TV ads or something. I guess. Or to curry favour with agents down there, that was my original theory.

Strikes me as foolish. It can't be that helpful to business, and hurts the team in the room.

TFC bosses need to just say nothing until it's done.
TFC journalists need to find some second sources.

BuSaPuNk
04-17-2013, 11:39 AM
and they haven't lost any games in the dying 15 this year... Lost points, but not games.

I think this is the most important point. Yes we've dropped points but its a positive especially how the year started that were even in a position to drop points in the first place is a good thing.

Let this team come together learn its quirks and we should start seeing better results. I'm not saying we're going to tear the leauge apart. But we look like we can be a soild midtable team.

FluSH
04-17-2013, 11:56 AM
/co-signed

anytime there is a "let's hold everyone accountable/protest/call at arms thread" I am coming back here to relieve the stress

Oldtimer
04-17-2013, 01:16 PM
The imminent signings were publicly discussed by both Payne and Nelsen 6 weeks ago, and somebody in TFC's office has been winding up the journalists on this big time. (There were a number of "confirmations" that were provided by Larsen, deVos, Molinaro etc. You think they got that story through their personal connections in Argentina?)

They did it to sell tickets or TV ads or something. I guess. Or to curry favour with agents down there, that was my original theory.

Strikes me as foolish. It can't be that helpful to business, and hurts the team in the room.

If this was the previous regime, I'd agree. But Payne has a very open style -- you saw it at DC too. Maybe he should shut up sometimes, but to think he talked as part of some diabolical master plan is something else.

jloome
04-17-2013, 01:20 PM

I think it's just confidence and knowledge of his market. All he has to do is pull of ONE major signing in the next six months -- Laba or the like -- that actualy makes an impact, and Payne will still be seen as a good GM, while also maintaining that air of public openness. It's good long-term strategy IF your confidence isn't ill-founded. He had a two- or three-year period where every foreign player he signed at DC crapped out, so we'll have to see. At TFC he might have a substantially larger ownership commitment to transfer payments, which might be why the Argentines are bleeding it for all its worth.

ensco
04-17-2013, 01:45 PM
^This discussion makes it sound like a bigger deal than it is. I can see how this could work out fine, a couple of different ways.

You don't see elite level managements talking about transfers like this. Whether it's Dominic Kinnear or Mourinho or whomever. That's all I'm saying.

Abou Sky
04-17-2013, 02:13 PM
^This discussion makes it sound like a bigger deal than it is. I can see how this could work out fine, a couple of different ways.

You don't see elite level managements talking about transfers like this. Whether it's Dominic Kinnear or Mourinho or whomever. That's all I'm saying.

But neither Payne nor Nelsen has spoken on record about them (although we have been led to believe they have, nobody has it from their mouths)

Pro managers don't talk openly about trades, but there has been talk about who is going to Chelsea forever 'Falcao is coming' / 'No he is not' / 'Falcao is happy at Atletico' / 'Atletico wants Torres back' etc.

Anyway, I defo agree on the most important point Ensco made in this thread: I support Payne & Nelsen no matter what happens on Saturday (and I think we will likely get owned)

Ivy
04-17-2013, 02:35 PM
But neither Payne nor Nelsen has spoken on record about them (although we have been led to believe they have, nobody has it from their mouths)

Pro managers don't talk openly about trades, but there has been talk about who is going to Chelsea forever 'Falcao is coming' / 'No he is not' / 'Falcao is happy at Atletico' / 'Atletico wants Torres back' etc.

Anyway, I defo agree on the most important point Ensco made in this thread: I support Payne & Nelsen no matter what happens on Saturday (and I think we will likely get owned)
Both Payne and Nelson talked about signings being imminent, although they never said from where (other than Onstad being in Argentina and potentially coming back with players) everything else has been talk of reporters and sources.

Initial B
04-17-2013, 03:07 PM
Hmmm, this gets me to thinking about where these reporters are getting their sources from...

Do you think Cochrane is the one leaking all this information and he just doesn't know when to keep his mouth shut? Maybe he'll overstep his bounds one to many times and force Payne to fire him.

Ivy
04-17-2013, 03:11 PM
Hmmm, this gets me to thinking about where these reporters are getting their sources from...

Do you think Cochrane is the one leaking all this information and he just doesn't know when to keep his mouth shut? Maybe he'll overstep his bounds one to many times and force Payne to fire him.
Highly doubt it. He's a very smart man... Wouldn't make foolish mistakes - especially after Payne said that he wants a tight lipped ship.

pawlukj
04-17-2013, 06:52 PM
i like the direction the club is going in terms of english influence, bringing in guys from overseas and evne though nelson is inexpierenced id allow him time to get his coaching expierence here seems like a good direction to go obviously its a process too

Oldtimer
05-02-2013, 12:07 PM

signed
ensco

So far you're holding up your side of the deal admirably. Others seem to have forgotten what they posted after a really bad game. :D

ensco
05-02-2013, 12:22 PM
So far you're holding up your side of the deal admirably. Others seem to have forgotten what they posted after a really bad game. :D

You know I forgot about this!

It's about mgmt having a clue, not results. I believed very early on that neither Winter nor Mariner knew what they were doing. But I do believe that Payne and Nelsen do know what they are doing. I think we all knew there would be games like last night's this year (I can hardly wait until we are away at KC, RSL or Seattle).

We have exceeded my expectations. Most people are upset about the late game collapses, but Nelsen is keeping a crap team in games they should be losing! He's doing it with Preki-ball, I know, that has to be addressed, but overall, he gets a B+ or A- from me.