PDA

View Full Version : New Supporters Shield

canadian_bhoy
02-28-2013, 08:17 PM
The thing that drew people like me to TFC was that we finally had a "real" football club in the city. And we wanted the fanbase to be equally "real". That's why we started this group - to bring likeminded fans together to create atmosphere and support that a city like Toronto had never seen.

But we didn't just want the support to be authentic, we wanted everything to be bigger and better.

About 5 years ago, a thread and some pub chats centered around the supporters shield. The fact that it wasn't really a shield. The fact that it should be a bigger deal to fans and clubs. The idea of redesigning and remaking the shield started and we saw the usual passion and determination of people in this group come to life (and the other supporters groups in Toronto). The determination that fueled a flyover of Columbus stadium, a 2500 person road trip and a south end wide banner.

And now it's fueled a brand new supporters shield.

Now, I haven't been involved in this since I saw an original design 5 years ago. I didn't really have anything to do with this process and I'm not taking any credit for it.

The purpose of this post is to tell the people involved how proud I am to see this come to life. To the people who fought for this. The people that dealt with supporters across North America to make this come to life. To Flatpicker for designing a beautiful trophy worthy of the name "Supporters Shield".

This is what this group was founded to do. So proud to see this today.

Great job to all involved.

www.supportersshield.org (http://www.supportersshield.org)

OgtheDim
02-28-2013, 08:57 PM
That is one beautiful piece of art.

FluSH
02-28-2013, 09:48 PM
Amen!

Love the fact that we as The Red Patch Boys are involved with this vision for a new supporters shield. And I euqlly love this quote =

"The determination that fueled a flyover of Columbus stadium, a 2500 person road trip and a south end wide banner."

I am very proud to be a part of this group.

Suds
02-28-2013, 11:00 PM
That is a kick-ass trophy!!

Great work by all those involved. I'm sure there has been a ton of work behind the scenes that many of us will not know about.

Cashcleaner
03-01-2013, 05:16 AM
To be honest, I had completely forgotten this project had been in the works. I remember a lot of talk about is several years back, but this news came well and truly under the radar for me yesterday. Great news and a great-looking trophy!

http://media.kansascity.com/smedia/2013/02/28/22/41/17b1YV.St.81.jpg

DOMIN8R
03-01-2013, 06:12 AM
Thanks, Mike.

I've lost touch with this group. What's the latest on the Independent Supporters Council of the United States and Canada (http://independentsupporterscouncil.com/) (ISC)?

ryan
03-01-2013, 06:42 AM
while it's a great piece, what is going to be done in a bout a decade when it runs out of space?

rowjimi
03-01-2013, 07:13 AM
Looks great. Kudos to all who worked on it.

Fort York Redcoat
03-01-2013, 08:49 AM
while it's a great piece, what is going to be done in a bout a decade when it runs out of space?

It does look like limited room but its no different than any other trophy in that they'll modify it. It happens. I'm sure we've all seen some of the strange phases the Stanley cup and Grey Cup have taken.

Pigfynn
03-01-2013, 08:55 AM
A great achievement by all involved! Proud of the RPB contribution. Well done!!

canadian_bhoy
03-01-2013, 09:35 AM
It does look like limited room but its no different than any other trophy in that they'll modify it. It happens. I'm sure we've all seen some of the strange phases the Stanley cup and Grey Cup have taken.

On the site it says that they have the option of adding another ring. So it would probably be like the Stanley Cup where rings are added and taken away.

Nice to have another league that actually engraves the names of champions. The Grey Cup and Stanley Cup are the only other ones that do it.

TOBOR !
03-01-2013, 09:57 AM

yeah, hardly an obstacle. Either replace the middle plate (if possible), make another one, or retire it and design another one.

jabbronies
03-01-2013, 10:05 AM
Did I read that correctly, the shield was designed here in Toronto?

Amazing work to those involved!

Phil
03-01-2013, 10:06 AM
Thanks, Mike.

I've lost touch with this group. What's the latest on the Independent Supporters Council of the United States and Canada (http://independentsupporterscouncil.com/) (ISC)?

Its a very active group. I am in contact with them along with Boris. Lots of communication and consultation is happening, this was a real priority for us this year. There will be some fundraisers coming up to raise cash for our portion of this so keep your eyes peeled. Boris has been a beast in keeping this going, along with Phonzo. Many thanks to both of them in maintaining and attending meetings. This group and all supporters groups involved should be proud!

SuperTCP
03-01-2013, 10:09 AM
Very nice - I look forward to see it in person:

Supporters Sheild will visit BMO Field - Sep 21

"The Shield will be transported around the league this season as supporters groups travel to away matches. We do this in order for all supporters to have the opportunity to participate in this effort. Come out and see the shield, meet members of the supporters groups that made this happen..."

Phil
03-01-2013, 11:24 AM
Did I read that correctly, the shield was designed here in Toronto?

Amazing work to those involved!

NatureGirl, Flatpicker and Afra deserve a ton of credit here.

Yagbod
03-01-2013, 12:25 PM
It looks awesome, well done to those involved.

Now, what would be super cool is if it had arm straps on the back so the winner could wear it like a shield.

flatpicker
03-01-2013, 12:54 PM

As others here have speculated, this is not a problem.
The ring with names on it is removable.
This was a fun project to work on; kudos to all that made it possible.

ensco
03-01-2013, 12:59 PM
That trophy is world class.

ryan
03-01-2013, 05:25 PM
As others here have speculated, this is not a problem.
The ring with names on it is removable.
This was a fun project to work on; kudos to all that made it possible.

Don't get me wrong I'm just curious what the future plan is, that's all.

flatpicker
03-01-2013, 05:31 PM
Don't get me wrong I'm just curious what the future plan is, that's all.

"Don't get you wrong?"
Sorry, did I not answer your question appropriately?

ryan
03-01-2013, 05:53 PM
"Don't get you wrong?"
Sorry, did I not answer your question appropriately?

As you stated yourself, "others have stated this is not a problem".

I'm trying to say, I'm not saying this is a problem. I just wanted to know if there was a design for the future. Ah just nevermind...

flatpicker
03-01-2013, 06:44 PM
As you stated yourself, "others have stated this is not a problem".

I'm trying to say, I'm not saying this is a problem. I just wanted to know if there was a design for the future. Ah just nevermind...

haha... ok.
All I meant was that the issue had been addressed during the design stage.

Marc"2L"
03-03-2013, 05:37 PM
Podcast taking a bit about the history of the supporters shield and a thank you to RPB and Connie at the end
http://kicktheball.us/media/KickTheBall20130228b.mp3

Huyton
03-03-2013, 07:15 PM
The Shield is gorgeous! Well done to everyone who had a part in its conception and realization.

If I buy a scarf, can I get a picture of me holding it when it arrives here in September?

GlenM
03-03-2013, 09:20 PM
WOW, great stuff.

WTG Connie, Kyle and everyone involved!

GlenM

fergiejr
03-04-2013, 08:16 AM
That is a sick trophy. It's truly amazing what people can achieve when they put their minds together, especially so when those people are supporters from different clubs. This is a testament to the passion that we as supporters have for not only the team but the league and the sport. Well done to ALL involved, I will wear my scarf with pride!

james
03-04-2013, 11:33 AM
Looks nice!:flare: