PDA

View Full Version : An Argument for the Greatest Finisher in the Modern Era

veenstram
02-27-2013, 11:27 AM
I, like most people here on the boards, am not overly fond of the ol' Weedman. However -
considering his performance with limited time last year, would you consider him a candidate for the LM/LW position on Saturday?
He isn't fast like Welshman, but he knows the league better, and has a pretty decent stat line from all competitions last year compared to some of our other players (15 Appearances, 2 Goals), and he certainly never blew huge chances like R. Johnson used to do.

He's pretty versatile in that he's equally invisible at all positions he's played, and may be a better 2nd/3rd option off the bench.
I just think we should be giving him more credit. Like, next to nothing instead of actually nothing.

Yohan
02-27-2013, 11:28 AM
I expect Bekker to start on LM/LW with either Lambe/Ephraim on RM/RW

notthesun
02-27-2013, 11:51 AM
I've always thought he was a complete disaster in midfield, I have absolutely no idea what Mariner saw in him there. His poor passing skills become especially apparent in midfield. We need creative players in our midfield and Wiedeman is not creative.

I think he has at least some value as a poacher, a late game sub to throw on and get in the box when we need a goal. Both his goals came from inside the box, one on a quick deflection and the other a one-on-one with the keeper. I wouldn't deploy him as anything other than a striker.

And given our current lineup, I was actually thinking we'd go with Lambe on the right (think he'll still get the start despite a weak pre-season), Ephraim on the left (if he has enough time to settle), and Bekker-Cesar in the middle.

[NBF]
02-27-2013, 11:54 AM
---------------------Bendik--------------------
Eckersley-----Califf----------O'Dea(C)---Morgan
-----------------------------------------------
-----------Hall-------Silva-------Cesar---------
---------------Lambe------Ephraim-------------
---------------------Braun---------------------

*Wiedeman, IMO should just get a gig with a NASL team, but in TFC's roster, he has a place because of the lack of quality on the team. Otherwise, no chance he would make any MLS team. Justin Braun, should barely even make a MLS roster. Thats my formation up top, but even in this formation, I would rather add a defender like Agbossoumonde, before I would substitute Lambe or Braun or even Hall for Wiedeman.

veenstram
02-27-2013, 11:57 AM
I agree that his value is primarily as depth for Canadian Championship-type games, but given the state of our roster I think he'll be playing a more significant role than any of us are comfortable with for the first 3-5 weeks of the season.

Ultra & Proud
02-27-2013, 12:02 PM
Eckersley-----Califf---------O'Dea(C)----Morgan
---------------------Cesar--------------------
----Bekker---------Osorio---------Ephraim------
------------------------------------------------
----------Silva---------------------------------
--------------------Morgan--------------------

Won't happen as I expect we will try to play it tight at the back but I'd like to see this.

Chevy
02-27-2013, 12:15 PM
;1561026']---------------------Bendik--------------------
-----------Hall-------Silva-------Cesar---------

*Wiedeman, IMO should just get a gig with a NASL team, but in TFC's roster, he has a place because of the lack of quality on the team. Otherwise, no chance he would make any MLS team. Justin Braun, should barely even make a MLS roster. Thats my formation up top, but even in this formation, I would rather add a defender like Agbossoumonde, before I would substitute Lambe or Braun or even Hall for Wiedeman.

Good lord this is an awful squad. I'm seriously hoping by week 3 or 4 there are at least five new names in this lineup.

flamehawk
02-27-2013, 12:17 PM
I expect Bekker to start on LM/LW with either Lambe/Ephraim on RM/RW

But we haven't tried Bekker in the position for the entire preseason, I would be surprised/be unsure about seeing him there. Welshman, on the other hand, has played there and played well. I think he deserves a start.

Greatest Ripoff
02-27-2013, 12:26 PM
But we haven't tried Bekker in the position for the entire preseason, I would be surprised/be unsure about seeing him there. Welshman, on the other hand, has played there and played well. I think he deserves a start.

I agree with this. Based on what I have seen so far, I'd be really surprised to see Bekker play anywhere but centrally. Even if this means him coming off of the bench at first.

Greatest Ripoff
02-27-2013, 12:28 PM
Good lord this is an awful squad. I'm seriously hoping by week 3 or 4 there are at least five new names in this lineup.

I'd be seriously worried about Nelsen as manager if Hall, Lambe and Braun were getting major minutes for this team. There should be at least 4 midfielders ahead of hall (bekker, dunfield, osorio, stinson and JBB if they end up signing him).

Yohan
02-27-2013, 12:33 PM
Bekker can play wide mid, and he did play some LM in preseason. Not much, but some

I like Welshman too, but he's learning the position and really haven't shown me much other than hustle. I think sub appearance is better for him. Bekker's passing needs to be in the game anyways

Yohan
02-27-2013, 12:36 PM
I'd be seriously worried about Nelsen as manager if Hall, Lambe and Braun were getting major minutes for this team. There should be at least 4 midfielders ahead of hall (bekker, dunfield, osorio, stinson and JBB if they end up signing him).
you are going to be so upset when you see Hall listed as starting mid on sat

Ultra & Proud
02-27-2013, 12:38 PM

I only count 4 with the main one being Bendik over Frei due to injury. The other 3 are Braun, Lambe, and Hall. Can't see taking anyone else off of this starting 11 besides them. I wouldn't be surprised if one or more of these 3 are gone come match day anyway. If they aren't on guaranteed deals that is.

Greatest Ripoff
02-27-2013, 12:41 PM

ugh, Hall looked so bad in pre season. Not sure if I have some sort of bias against him or if I am just missing something.

T-boy
02-27-2013, 01:15 PM
I don't really like Wiedemann, but I would be interested to see him actually play as a striker. Mariner claimed he was a good finisher, then played him out wide! If his talen is goal scoring, lets see him in that position.

Red I
02-27-2013, 01:35 PM

Hall as a starter ... at mid-field?? Remind me to make a trip to the LCBO before this game starts...

Carts
02-27-2013, 01:40 PM

You could always look at this another way... If these 4 guys are obviously ahead of Hall/Lambe/Braun - maybe he was using the pre-season to see what they have, worth keeping at all, needing depth, etc...

Pre-season, ya the top guys need minutes to get going, but usually it's used to see how the lesser-lights fit in - as you know where your starters go...

Dreadlocks
02-27-2013, 01:45 PM
I see this......notice Weideman's exclusion!!

-----------Dunfield--------------Cesar---------
--------------------Silva--------------------

Also, Ephraim confirmed - pending an int'l cert

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2013/02/hogan-ephraim-acquired-loan

Red I
02-27-2013, 02:08 PM
I see this......notice Weideman's exclusion!!

-----------Dunfield--------------Cesar---------
--------------------Silva--------------------

Also, Ephraim confirmed - pending an int'l cert

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2013/02/hogan-ephraim-acquired-loan

I was thinking this would be it too, but i think Bekker is probably the best spot-kicker on the team right now, so i could see him getting mid-field time ahead of Dunfield - Better to get lead, have Dunny off the bench to safeguard leads, and then T. Morgan/Osorio to come in and try to manufacture some goals if down

Don Julio
02-27-2013, 02:15 PM
With Silva nad Braun now injured likely, I'd guess something like

---------------Bendik
Ecks-----Califf-----O'Dea-----AMorgan
-------Dunfield-------Cesar
Lambe--------Bekker--------Ephraim
--------------TMorgan

Yohan
02-27-2013, 02:23 PM
Silva is injured? When?

notthesun
02-27-2013, 02:26 PM
Braun has concussion symptons but Silva just took a knock and sat out training. He's reportedly fine.

Yohan
02-27-2013, 02:39 PM
Shouldn't this thread be renamed, as per the trend today? ;)

jloome
02-27-2013, 02:42 PM

I suspect they played him there a few times in the tourney because, as Payne said yesterday, they were still evaluating the people they'd inherited. That doesn't mean he'll start there.

Depending on whether we have Ephraim in, I wouldn't mind seeing:

------------Bendick----------
Stinson---Califf--Odea---Ecks
-------Cesar----Bekker--------
Lambe-----Silva--------Ephraim
---------Morgan-------------

Cesar and bkker are smart players, as is Silva. The two wide guys can beat guys on the run, for whatever their other deficiencies. Morgan has speed and strength up top.

It's not an awful starting lineup. We need someone stronger than Lambe on the right flank and someone proven up top, but it's getting there.

EDIT: As a note on Ecks, his left foot isn't great but he's a seasoned player who understands defensive roles and would be probably less off-put by a swing to left flank than most.

Yohan
02-27-2013, 02:56 PM
I suspect they played him there a few times in the tourney because, as Payne said yesterday, they were still evaluating the people they'd inherited. That doesn't mean he'll start there.

Depending on whether we have Ephraim in, I wouldn't mind seeing:

------------Bendick----------
Stinson---Califf--Odea---Ecks
-------Cesar----Bekker--------
Lambe-----Silva--------Ephraim
---------Morgan-------------

Cesar and bkker are smart players, as is Silva. The two wide guys can beat guys on the run, for whatever their other deficiencies. Morgan has speed and strength up top.

It's not an awful starting lineup. We need someone stronger than Lambe on the right flank and someone proven up top, but it's getting there.

EDIT: As a note on Ecks, his left foot isn't great but he's a seasoned player who understands defensive roles and would be probably less off-put by a swing to left flank than most.
I'd like to see Bekker at LM and Lambe to bench. Osorio given a shot beside Cesar

jloome
02-27-2013, 03:02 PM
I'd like to see Bekker at LM and Lambe to bench. Osorio given a shot beside Cesar

Yeah maybe, eh? Don't know how he tackles but he's certainly more creative than Lambe, and that formation is a two-way across the board formation anyway.

Ajax TFC
02-27-2013, 04:58 PM
I'm curious why you think Bekker should play LM. I admit I haven't seen much of him, so my evaluation of him so far is based on the Canada games he played in.
IMO his best quality is his passing ability. In the Canada games he rarely dribbled, but rather would slow down and look for a runner to pass to. To make best use of that you need players who will run around him to create space for him to find. On the wing that ability is wasted unless you play him further in with an overlapping fullback (Morgan), and a fast striker.

In response to the OP: Weideman is crap. eight games for FC Dallas in 2.5 seasons and fifteen games doing nothing for a shit TFC side are not valuable experiences that can help the team out. You might as well play Dunfield at left wing if experience is that much more important than actual ability