PDA

View Full Version : Official Beer of BMO. . now with extra water!

Technorgasm
02-27-2013, 09:46 AM
http://beta.images.theglobeandmail.com/fe2/migration_catalog/article4050241.ece/ALTERNATES/w220/budweiser

The makers of Budweiser faced accusations on Tuesday of watering down the popular American lager in search of higher profits, in a class action lawsuit flatly rejected by the brewery. The beer-drinking plaintiffs alleged that Anheuser-Busch is violating consumer protection laws in California and Missouri by “falsely representing the alcohol content of the products it sells.

The lawsuit, which demands unspecified “compensatory damages” for anyone in the United States who has bought Budweiser products in the past five years, was filed in U.S. District Court in San Francisco on Friday.

“I think it’s wrong for huge corporations to lie to their loyal customers,” said one of the plaintiffs, Nina Giampaoli, in a press release Tuesday from the Mills Law Firm, one of two firms involved in the lawsuit.

“I really feel cheated. No matter what the product is, people should be able to rely on the information companies put on their labels.”
From its headquarters in Saint Louis, Missouri, Anheuser-Busch -- a core unit of ABInBev, the globe-girdling Belgian-Brazilian brewing conglomerate -- rejected the allegations

tfcleeds
02-27-2013, 09:53 AM
Looks like I'll be drinking Tetley's at BMO this year...oh wait...:(

ryan
02-27-2013, 09:58 AM
lol awesome.

TFC Cityboy
02-27-2013, 10:49 AM
http://newsthump.com/2013/02/27/watered-up-budweiser-had-dangerous-levels-of-flavour/

Yagbod
02-27-2013, 10:50 AM
I can testify that this is true. I drank a fair bit it last night at the TFC kick off party and barely felt a thing. It really was like drinking water. I haven't had a Bud since almost high school days. It was remarkably like water.

Red4ever
02-27-2013, 10:51 AM
What a Cash Grab. Class Action Lawsuits like this give Class Action Lawsuits a bad name. If Budweiser were the focus of Erin Brackovich (sp?) and not PG&E, then Julia Roberts wouldn't have won an academy award.

Drink another beer if you don't like it.

zeelaw
02-27-2013, 11:23 AM
Techno you beat me to posting this hahahaha

Mark in Ottawa
02-27-2013, 11:39 AM
As a Guinness drinker, and lover of darker style ales, most domestic beer tastes like water to me anyway.
Given the costs of beer at sports facilities I usually pass anyway so this news really doesn't matter to me one way or the other.

Yohan
02-27-2013, 11:40 AM
I can testify that this is true. I drank a fair bit it last night at the TFC kick off party and barely felt a thing. It really was like drinking water. I haven't had a Bud since almost high school days. It was remarkably like water.
it is my solemn opinion that if you are drinking Bud, you deserve to be cheated. and also get a punch in the balls

TOBOR !
02-27-2013, 11:54 AM
aren't they just reporing what everyone already knows anyway ?

Headline : Local man horrified to learn that Budweiser is shit

FluSH
02-27-2013, 12:14 PM
Will there be any other beers that I can purchase at BMO... Or is this it?

tfcleeds
02-27-2013, 12:21 PM
^Stella, Keith's, Michelob Ultra...and that's about it.

Kaz
02-27-2013, 12:44 PM
Think part of this is that over the last few years American beers have started switching from ABW to ABV to list Alcohol content in their beer. ABV being the way it's been in Canada as long as I can remember. That means that the Alcohol on the label goes for something like 3.2 to 5 and people being generally dumb may think this is a sign they were watering down their beer.

I find American beer to taste weak but it's no less strong they Canadian Beer.

brad
02-27-2013, 02:05 PM
This is not just about Bud or domestics. The problem is that inBev is pretty rapidly buying up every major beer in the world and destroying the quality. Read this if you have the time.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2012-10-25/the-plot-to-destroy-americas-beer

If you don't read the whole thing, read the top part about what happened to Becks when inBev took it over and started brewing it in the US - same thing. It may or may not be intentionally malicious. Beer is highly susceptible to the ingredients. Purchasing the same raw ingredients from a different supplier, or brewing with a different water source can have a massive impact on the brew.

Suds
02-27-2013, 03:52 PM
Looks like I'll be drinking Tetley's at BMO this year...oh wait...:(

http://www.creativeplasticsinc.com/images/BL118.jpg
I'm not promoting you bring your own alcohol to BMO ... I just know someone named Lewis :p

canadian_bhoy
02-27-2013, 04:25 PM
I guess the whole Canadian pride thing only counts when you're trying to sell jersey's.

http://sphotos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/307416_10101653519096552_856009905_n.jpg

Chevy
02-27-2013, 04:29 PM
it is my solemn opinion that if you are drinking Bud, you deserve to be cheated. and also get a punch in the balls

Holy shit this post made my day. What if i just purchase a six-pack of the TFC branded bottles but don't drink it. Still ball-punch worthy?

Carts
02-27-2013, 04:33 PM
^ Budweiser (here in Canada) is brewed by Labatt - has been since 1980...

So while they have the Americana 'King of Beers' image, it's as Canadian as the other big brewery brands...

I don't mind the switch, as I'm not a fan of Carlsberg - but I do agree with the idea that local Toronto micro-brews should be able to purchase a beer stand in the stadium... Bud would have the signage, the stands everywhere, the volume they need to make it worth their while & profit, while the small guys would also make a profit from those wanting to wait for a different beer that is truly Toronto...

That would be my compromise of big bucks in from a big sponsor (Bud) and giving some truly Toronto beers a shot & a place at the stadium...

tfcleeds
02-27-2013, 04:41 PM
I'd LOVE to see Hogtown Ale or Junction Brewery get a stand at BMO. I don't know how Anheuser-InBev operates in various stadiums in the US, but I know that most of them nowadays do showcase local brewers. Hopefully they would be amenable to that here.

brad
02-27-2013, 04:53 PM
I'd LOVE to see Hogtown Ale or Junction Brewery get a stand at BMO. I don't know how Anheuser-InBev operates in various stadiums in the US, but I know that most of them nowadays do showcase local brewers. Hopefully they would be amenable to that here.

I was at one stadium in the US that was all Bud products, but had one tap for a small local craft brewery.

Detroit_TFC
02-27-2013, 04:59 PM
Since the individual teams got the right to negotiate their own local beer deals, I think it is all up to what gets worked out. Considering how much beer is purchased, I would think MLSE would have a lot of leverage to carve out a craft brewery piece in the pouring rights. Unfortunately it's after the fact but maybe in the future something to push for.

Auzzy
02-27-2013, 05:03 PM
This is not just about Bud or domestics. The problem is that inBev is pretty rapidly buying up every major beer in the world and destroying the quality. Read this if you have the time.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2012-10-25/the-plot-to-destroy-americas-beer

If you don't read the whole thing, read the top part about what happened to Becks when inBev took it over and started brewing it in the US - same thing. It may or may not be intentionally malicious. Beer is highly susceptible to the ingredients. Purchasing the same raw ingredients from a different supplier, or brewing with a different water source can have a massive impact on the brew.

Wow, that's a very interesting but scary article. I did just read all 6 pages. Sad about Becks, which is certainly a high-school & university memory for me, and was always a reliable (if somewhat bland) choice in beer. Similar with Goose Island and other brands they've messed with. So if I'm calling for some other interesting Bud/InBev beers to served somewhere at BMO, we may not be getting what we expect.

I must be better organized this year, so I can make it to a bar & pre-drink before more games!

james
02-27-2013, 05:09 PM
Think part of this is that over the last few years American beers have started switching from ABW to ABV to list Alcohol content in their beer. ABV being the way it's been in Canada as long as I can remember. That means that the Alcohol on the label goes for something like 3.2 to 5 and people being generally dumb may think this is a sign they were watering down their beer.

I find American beer to taste weak but it's no less strong they Canadian Beer.

People always say American beer tastes like water. I know they are always just thinking of Bud, Bud Light, Coors Light, MGD, Old Milwaukee, Busch Light exc. But what to many people don't realize is there are hundreds of great American beers out there. They just happen to mainly be Micro Beers. Canada is the same tho really, we got lots of shit water beer to but also alot of great Micro beers popping up everywhere now, people just need to look around a little and not just buy beers you see on TV commercials and bill-boards adds.

brad
02-27-2013, 06:01 PM
People always say American beer tastes like water. I know they are always just thinking of Bud, Bud Light, Coors Light, MGD, Old Milwaukee, Busch Light exc. But what to many people don't realize is there are hundreds of great American beers out there. They just happen to mainly be Micro Beers. Canada is the same tho really, we got lots of shit water beer to but also alot of great Micro beers popping up everywhere now, people just need to look around a little and not just buy beers you see on TV commercials and bill-boards adds.

Very true. Some of the best beer I have ever had is American.

Redcoe15
02-27-2013, 06:19 PM
Meh. Bud's a good beer to get a good buzz on IMO. I drink a couple of 32oz drafts of Bud, as well as a plate of hot poutine, as part of my end of the work week routine. But would I want to pay for a Bud at BMO Field at the prices they gouge?

Wombat
02-28-2013, 07:02 PM
Why the hell would anybody in Canada want to drink Bud anyway??
I can understand the American success due to brainwashing / cultural propogation, etc
I work in the brewing industry in Ontario and spend every day in a different brewery as part of my job - when i went out with clients from Labatt a few years back, I would drink a John Labatt Classic (with the gold foil top - sadly no longer available). Blue Light, Bud Light, Budweiser re all watered down, low flavour, low hopped beverages, that should be avaoided at all costs.

Molson has some good brands and when I'm out with associates from Molson-Coors, I'm happy to drink fresh draught Canadian or Export..... and the Rickards Pale is a decent ale.

At BMO, paying out of my own pocket, I dont touch the 'partner brew' Carlsberg, but hunt for tall-boys of Steam Whistle, Canadian or Kronenberg. It's not Rocket Science guys... I'm having trouble feeling any sympathy for a guy who shares a revelation that Bud is crap and he didn't feel he got value for money! I get it free and I'd still rather have a have water or milk and save my 'alcohol credits' for a good beer on my way home from work!

Justin10000
02-28-2013, 07:58 PM
The price difference between mass produced beers and decent beers is a couple of bucks. People buy Bud because that is what they see on TV. People are afraid to try new things.

Macksam
02-28-2013, 08:06 PM
What a Cash Grab. Class Action Lawsuits like this give Class Action Lawsuits a bad name. If Budweiser were the focus of Erin Brackovich (sp?) and not PG&E, then Julia Roberts wouldn't have won an academy award.

Drink another beer if you don't like it.

If you violate consumer protection laws, you deserve to be punished.

tfcleeds
02-28-2013, 09:40 PM
I think the tap-water I drink is stronger than Bud. Oh well, not to prolong the discussion, needless to say, I'll be seeking out other beers at BMO this year.

Red4ever
03-01-2013, 12:38 AM
If you violate consumer protection laws, you deserve to be punished.

You and I are agreeing all over the place :)

jaahuuu
03-01-2013, 10:13 AM
I live in the US, have been drinking beer for almost 10 years, and have close to 1000 different empty bottles in my collection. I've never seen a beer that measures ABW.

I find American beer to taste weak but it's no less strong they Canadian Beer.The 12% abv American Brown Ale that I drank last night would like a word with you.

grizzle
03-02-2013, 11:56 AM
Carlsberg was crap also. Personally I prefer much stronger beers (I drink Crest some times which is 10%) so like the fellow Guinness drinker said, they all taste like water to me. No change on the beer front, but hopefully Budweiser can help in other areas where they seem to have an unlimited budget (ie. events for the team).

Glenchen29
04-01-2013, 11:37 AM
Keiths Cider is fantastic, grabbed the last one after the game at the trailer. There is one Stella tap at the south end and the BUD draft line ups were very short, even the guys at the consession stands were making comments about BUD and Michelob Ultra. Would be nice to see Stella on tap more but they might figure it out.

C.Ronaldo
04-01-2013, 11:55 AM
The guy at the bud stand was actually a bit emabarassed to be serving bud
to quote

"I know it sucks, but its all we have at this booth"

Couchy81
04-01-2013, 12:09 PM
Slightly off topic but I heard Rickards Red is actually just Molson Export with caramel/colour. Wouldn't surprise me if it were true.

Glenchen29
04-01-2013, 12:30 PM
Personally I think TFC fans know their beer and are well rounded as to what is good and not so good and will have preferences, were not all NASCAR fans :)

What I wonder is if the Bud on tap is an experiment, remember season one when there were two tap stands beside each other Carlsberg/Carlsberg Light and it wasn't long before Carlsberg Light was gone on tap as ther was no line for it. Last year we had Steam Whistle but that vanished.

OgtheDim
04-01-2013, 12:48 PM
Bud is not going away. Major sponsor. But, INBev is not stupid. If they notice a trend over a number of weeks, they will adjust. Most likely by adding more bottle/can options.

james
04-01-2013, 12:59 PM
Did anyone notice they had a beer stand with 3 imports on it around the 113/114 gate entrance. 1 Being a German beer that I can't remember the name, the other 2 Belgium beers Leffe and Hoegarden.

Bud was not the only option on Saturday but I don't think to many people noticed it.

Seen
04-01-2013, 01:04 PM
Did anyone notice they had a beer stand with 3 imports on it around the 113/114 gate entrance. 1 Being a German beer that I can't remember the name, the other 2 Belgium beers Leffe and Hoegarden.

Bud was not the only option on Saturday but I don't think to many people noticed it.

Stella was the other one.

Even though they are part of inBev, I guess there is no chance of getting any Goose Island brews. Dare to dream.

Oldtimer
04-01-2013, 01:07 PM
Slightly off topic but I heard Rickards Red is actually just Molson Export with caramel/colour. Wouldn't surprise me if it were true.

That could be an urban legend. Have you tried a blind taste test?

Detroit_TFC
04-01-2013, 01:16 PM
Labatt Breweries of Canada (owned by AB/InBev) sponsorship and pouring right deal is for 5 years.

james
04-01-2013, 01:17 PM
I live in the US, have been drinking beer for almost 10 years, and have close to 1000 different empty bottles in my collection. I've never seen a beer that measures ABW.

The 12% abv American Brown Ale that I drank last night would like a word with you.

As i said when people here American beers they are just thinking of big brand names like bud light, Miller lights, Coors light and so on. Canada has a lot of crap big name beers tho to, Canada just tends not to make many light beers but still tend to make bland taste lagers. But what Canadians need to realize is America has some of the best craft beers in the world and craft beers are a small percent but are slowly growing across the country. Much like Canada it depends where you are in the country as some states have more craft beers then others, Northern West Coast and Northern East Coast states having some of the most craft beers while places like down south and the central states craft beer is less common and may never really arrive as they like there bland water beers. Much like USA, some provinces in Canada have more then others, Quebec coming out with the most and some of the best beers (In 2012 of the 100 Canadian beer awards 43 were awarded to beers made in Quebec) followed by BC and then followed by Ontario picking up momentum in the craft beer scene. But then there is places like Manitoba where craft just hasn't hit them yet.

james
04-01-2013, 01:18 PM
Stella was the other one.

Even though they are part of inBev, I guess there is no chance of getting any Goose Island brews. Dare to dream.

oh thought it was a different beer. But anyways ya it was there.

Auzzy
04-01-2013, 02:06 PM
The beer vendor that comes through our area was having great difficulties selling beer at the LA game, especially the Bud Light. At some point he cracked a joke "Does anybody want a Carlsberg?" At least that got people's attention. Next time I'm thirsty I'll check out the beer stand near 113/114, or see if there's something closer to the west side. Perhaps the club could put out an accurate map where everything is being offered? Also didn't see any of the new food yesterday (although I didn't look much since I wasn't planning to buy anything).

pdogg
04-01-2013, 02:22 PM
Walked up and down the east stands area and I think I only saw one booth selling cans - and it was only Stella, Rickards Cider and Michelob. If I don't make it to the bar before game and get a thirst for a drink at the game, I'll make my way over to the leffe. The cider wasn't bad, but a little too sweet and will be a hangover-maker in the summer sun.

Yohan
04-01-2013, 02:25 PM
The beer vendor that comes through our area was having great difficulties selling beer at the LA game, especially the Bud Light. At some point he cracked a joke "Does anybody want a Carlsberg?" At least that got people's attention. Next time I'm thirsty I'll check out the beer stand near 113/114, or see if there's something closer to the west side. Perhaps the club could put out an accurate map where everything is being offered? Also didn't see any of the new food yesterday (although I didn't look much since I wasn't planning to buy anything).
I think there are 'specialty' food shops. there was only 1 shop that sold the new hot dogs on the east side

tfcleeds
04-01-2013, 03:07 PM
One thing's for sure - I've never spent as little at BMO as I did last Saturday. I found the stand that was selling Keith's cans fairly easily, and just had the one. Maybe this is a good thing (for my wallet anyway).

Mark in Ottawa
04-01-2013, 03:11 PM
There is a Rickards cider?? Who new.
Not that I would pay the BMO prices anyway ... especially for inferior products I do not like.

It was even impossible to get a Guinness at Joe's before the game. Weird.

Miko
04-01-2013, 03:18 PM

I've heard that one as well. Wouldn't be surprised if it was true as Rickard's White in Canada and Blue Moon in the US are the same beer.

pdogg
04-01-2013, 03:48 PM
There is a Rickards cider?? Who new.
Not that I would pay the BMO prices anyway ... especially for inferior products I do not like.

It was even impossible to get a Guinness at Joe's before the game. Weird.

Sorry - Keith's Cider... Though I'm sure Rickard's makes a cider now too.

Glenchen29
04-01-2013, 06:04 PM
As i said when people here American beers they are just thinking of big brand names like bud light, Miller lights, Coors light and so on. Canada has a lot of crap big name beers tho to, Canada just tends not to make many light beers but still tend to make bland taste lagers. But what Canadians need to realize is America has some of the best craft beers in the world and craft beers are a small percent but are slowly growing across the country. Much like Canada it depends where you are in the country as some states have more craft beers then others, Northern West Coast and Northern East Coast states having some of the most craft beers while places like down south and the central states craft beer has not reached them yet and may never as they like there bland water beers. Much like USA, some provinces in Canada have more then others, Quebec coming out with the most and some of the best beers (In 2012 of the 100 Canadian beer awards 43 were awarded to beers made in Quebec) followed by BC and then followed by Ontario picking up momentum in the craft beer scene. But then there is places like Manitoba where craft just hasn't hit them yet.Right you are James, about 16 years ago I discovered Saranac Pilsner and have been finding great craft brews and they are getting better. Some great beers there and many other states have a deep German heritage and have been brewing local good ones for some time.

prizby
04-01-2013, 06:25 PM

had no idea...tfc never did let fans know where these selections could be found; how much more epensive?

OgtheDim
04-01-2013, 07:36 PM
Hmm......What this requires is a TFC beer food and bathroom app.

To tell you what beer and food is where and at what price. It could GPS you and give you directions to the nearest booth. Heck, if TFC got in on it, and the LCBO got into the 21st century, you could order your beer from your app, then pick it up, swipe your phone like us Starbucks drinkers do, and use your app store credit card to pay for it all.

And if they were really inventive, they'd put sensors in the lineup areas to all these things (including the bathrooms) so you could tell which bathrooom/vendor is busy and which has no lineup.

Then they could link it in to the TTC and GO to tell you about streetcars and trains.

I'd pay a buck a game for that.

I'll stop dreaming now.

pdogg
04-01-2013, 08:02 PM
They could always start with a map of the stadium with concessions and facilities. I almost want to so that myself now.

james
04-01-2013, 08:15 PM
had no idea...tfc never did let fans know where these selections could be found; how much more epensive?

I still didn't buy any beer even tho I like Leffe, I try not to buy beer at stadiums as much as possible as the costs are still crazy high no matter what beer they are selling (I don't understand why they have to charge so much at sport events in Canada, sometimes i think they would sell much more if the costs were more at pub prices). I did see the sign that i think said a small-$7.99 now how many ML is in a small i don't know and how much does a large cost i don't know.

scooter
04-01-2013, 09:21 PM
the hoegaarden was excellent on saturday
bud is shite beer but cheap if you want to drink it and dont forget our new pres is a yank and probably not a canadian beer drinker

Shakes McQueen
04-01-2013, 09:50 PM
I suspect proper beer would probably kill a person who has drank nothing but Bud and Coors Light their entire life.

- Scott

Huyton
04-01-2013, 09:57 PM
Support Local Football
Support Local Beer

james
04-02-2013, 01:53 AM
Right you are James, about 16 years ago I discovered Saranac Pilsner and have been finding great craft brews and they are getting better. Some great beers there and many other states have a deep German heritage and have been brewing local good ones for some time.

I would say in recent years America, and for sure on the West Coast they have been most famous for there extra hoppy IPA's usually between 6%-9% ABV. and i noticed that trend has been growing in Canada now to. But there is always new beers pushing the barriers these days on the local beer scenes.

james
04-02-2013, 01:55 AM
Support Local Football
Support Local Beer
I agree with that!

Kaz
04-02-2013, 08:19 AM

The 12% abv American Brown Ale that I drank last night would like a word with you.

Sorry Few is a misnomer should have been last few decades if I wanted to say few. Though most of the southern heartland states still use ABW.

American wide distribution pale Lagers are generally what we are referring to when we say American Beer. But it's great to see the border towns in the US learning from their Canadian drinking experiences and making better beers.. only look a century. Good for you ;)

Besides I usually drink German and Belgium Wit or Stout.

C.Ronaldo
04-02-2013, 08:24 AM
I enjoy is nice boston lager now and then......and a light rolling rock on a hot summer day to get the electrolytes back up :yum:

Glenchen29
04-02-2013, 10:44 AM
Hmm......What this requires is a TFC beer food and bathroom app.

To tell you what beer and food is where and at what price. It could GPS you and give you directions to the nearest booth. Heck, if TFC got in on it, and the LCBO got into the 21st century, you could order your beer from your app, then pick it up, swipe your phone like us Starbucks drinkers do, and use your app store credit card to pay for it all.

And if they were really inventive, they'd put sensors in the lineup areas to all these things (including the bathrooms) so you could tell which bathrooom/vendor is busy and which has no lineup.

Then they could link it in to the TTC and GO to tell you about streetcars and trains.

I'd pay a buck a game for that.

I'll stop dreaming now. OR TFC could bring back can service to the supporters section. As many of you recall this service stopped the day we hosted the All Star Game. At the last Town Hall it was brought up twice and Paul B and Tom A said "They were not aware of this" and would look into it. Nothing happened, I sent my rep a follow up email and no response. So if you sit in the supporters section you beer delivery privledges are non existant due to some discrimination of you beeing a supporter in the supporters section.

RedsYNWA
04-02-2013, 12:25 PM
Leffe Hoegaarden & Stella were 75 cents more costly than Bud and Bud Light
After finding that one Import beer darft stand I exclaimed there is a god and had me the first great beer @ BMO
Line up at said beer stand 20 people line up at Bud stand ZERO LOL

Ron Manager
04-02-2013, 12:49 PM
Some interesting beer talk in here. Would love to see an off topic thread on local beer as we are truly seeing some great craft beer in Toronto. Still a fair ways behind the American craft beer scene, but were moving in the right direction.
Doesn't really matter who sponsors the taps at BMO as any one American Adjunct Lager style beer is much like another and none of them are particularly good. There is a reason they push the concept of a cold beer in their advertising...the colder the beer, the more it numbs your taste buds and they can push any old crap past you at that point.
If you want to get a handle on how these massive companies came to dominate the beer landscape and how prohibition really messed up our beer options in North America up until the present day you should try this book, a great and interesting read by a Toronto author......http://www.amazon.ca/Cheers-Nicholas-Pashley/dp/1554682576

Also check out this website for great beer info and the chance to see how drinkers everywhere rate your beer of choice. Some great info on local brewers as well.

www.beeradvocate.com (http://www.beeradvocate.com)

Support Local Football.
Drink Local Beer.

Phil
04-02-2013, 01:16 PM
OR TFC could bring back can service to the supporters section. As many of you recall this service stopped the day we hosted the All Star Game. At the last Town Hall it was brought up twice and Paul B and Tom A said "They were not aware of this" and would look into it. Nothing happened, I sent my rep a follow up email and no response. So if you sit in the supporters section you beer delivery privledges are non existant due to some discrimination of you beeing a supporter in the supporters section.

The south end service to seat licence was cut because of issues with minors getting beer.

End of conspiracy. Too many booze violations. Remember the dry game too? It all goes back to that.

glaze
04-02-2013, 01:21 PM
when they first opened the Ricoh Coliseum back when it was city owned and the Toronto Roadrunners were the team, they only had Brick Beer. Of course the team failed because this is a Leafs only town when it comes to supporting any kind of hockey, MLSE annexed Ricoh to maintain its event venue monopoly in the city, and Molson/Coors found its way in.
While I understand the push to have everything Bud in the stadium, they really could have created more of an international feel by having the other InBev products more readily available. Perhaps if the sales are really strong at that one kiosk, they will expand the options. I think as word gets out about its existence, the lines will be even longer.

Couchy81
04-02-2013, 02:25 PM

I haven't no, but you can really taste how bland the Red is at ACC when you get it on tap. I also heard this from an ex-alcohol industry person, who claims many within the industry all said the same thing.

Couchy81
04-02-2013, 02:30 PM
Hopefully BMO doesn't end up like this soon: http://imgur.com/PuqHXQv

Detroit_TFC
04-02-2013, 02:47 PM
^ lol. Icky.

Brooker
04-02-2013, 03:16 PM
Remember the dry game too? It all goes back to that.

Oh that was a fun day. I still remember when the game started, looking over the side of 112 to see a gigantic line stretching almost onto the street because of the pat downs. Ppl could barely get in.

tfcleeds
04-02-2013, 03:19 PM
Rickard's Red used to be a good beer when it was independently-owned, ever since Molson bought it, its been crap. I'm just surprised the quality of Creemore hasn't deteriorated in the same way since Molson purchased it.

nascarguy
04-02-2013, 03:21 PM
Leffe Hoegaarden & Stella were 75 cents more costly than Bud and Bud Light
After finding that one Import beer darft stand I exclaimed there is a god and had me the first great beer @ BMO
Line up at said beer stand 20 people line up at Bud stand ZERO LOL
the 5$ buds bottle's were great

brad
04-02-2013, 04:00 PM
Rickard's Red used to be a good beer when it was independently-owned, ever since Molson bought it, its been crap. I'm just surprised the quality of Creemore hasn't deteriorated in the same way since Molson purchased it.

It has, just not to the same degree. Molson are aware of the burgeoning craft beer scene and I think they will try and tap it - the 6 Pints Beer Academy is evidence of that.

brad
04-02-2013, 04:02 PM
Support Local Football
Support Local Beer

Here Here.

I have been to stadiums in the states that were sponsored by Bud - but still had a local craft offering on tap. In one case - the brewery was so small that there is no way that they were paying any significant money to be there (likely none at all).

Ron Manager
04-02-2013, 09:22 PM

If I'm not mistaken, Molson bought it but kept the staff and things run pretty much the way they always have.

james
04-03-2013, 03:16 AM
Sorry Few is a misnomer should have been last few decades if I wanted to say few. Though most of the southern heartland states still use ABW.

American wide distribution pale Lagers are generally what we are referring to when we say American Beer. But it's great to see the border towns in the US learning from their Canadian drinking experiences and making better beers.. only look a century. Good for you ;)

Besides I usually drink German and Belgium Wit or Stout.

After prohibition USA and Canada were both pretty much like a dry dessert when it came to finding beer with taste as there really wasn't much out there, it was really just our bland lagers vs there bland lagers and light beers, until early 80's when new small independent breweries started popping up in USA and Canada at the same time. And even independent breweries has been a very slow growth over the years but is picking up momentum. Micro Breweries in Canada and USA both got most there influences from Europe, but often would get creative and change things in the brew process to give the beer a taste they could call there own. I wouldn't really say Canada had much to do with the growth in USA craft beer as in some states they were and in some cases in some states still are actually a step ahead of Canada on the beer scene.

james
04-03-2013, 03:37 AM
Some interesting beer talk in here. Would love to see an off topic thread on local beer as we are truly seeing some great craft beer in Toronto. Still a fair ways behind the American craft beer scene, but were moving in the right direction.
Doesn't really matter who sponsors the taps at BMO as any one American Adjunct Lager style beer is much like another and none of them are particularly good. There is a reason they push the concept of a cold beer in their advertising...the colder the beer, the more it numbs your taste buds and they can push any old crap past you at that point.
If you want to get a handle on how these massive companies came to dominate the beer landscape and how prohibition really messed up our beer options in North America up until the present day you should try this book, a great and interesting read by a Toronto author......http://www.amazon.ca/Cheers-Nicholas-Pashley/dp/1554682576

Also check out this website for great beer info and the chance to see how drinkers everywhere rate your beer of choice. Some great info on local brewers as well.

www.beeradvocate.com (http://www.beeradvocate.com)

Support Local Football.
Drink Local Beer.

Very true on the beer scene in Toronto.

You know how annoying it can be when I here adds that say "Ice Cold Beer", beer was never made to be that cold. Chilled and refrigerated sure, put it in a cooler with ice if on summer holiday is fine of course as I mean you can't really bring a fridge with you, but advertising "Ice Cold Beer" is just stupid, beer was never made to be that cold in your pint glass. Once it gets below a temperature it just takes away any taste. I remember being at some sports bar and it had a Canadian or something on tap with this special tap that has Ice all around it on the outside to keep it extra cold, that just shows lack of what little respect the beer had.

renda-10
04-03-2013, 06:59 AM
I'm a huge supporter of craft beer. In a city that the craft beer market is growing at a fast past, its sad to see BMO no carry more craft selections. There are dozens of craft or micro breweries within minutes of the stadium.

synkronized1
04-03-2013, 07:30 AM
And no Strongbow. Asked the guy and he mentioned people had been asking for it all day. The GF had to try the Keiths Cider and thought it was terrible. My $14 Bud was GREAT though :(

Kaz
04-03-2013, 10:22 AM
After prohibition USA and Canada were both pretty much like a dry dessert when it came to finding beer with taste as there really wasn't much out there, it was really just our bland lagers vs there bland lagers and light beers, until early 80's when new small independent breweries started popping up in USA and Canada at the same time. And even independent breweries has been a very slow growth over the years but is picking up momentum. Micro Breweries in Canada and USA both got most there influences from Europe, but often would get creative and change things in the brew process to give the beer a taste they could call there own. I wouldn't really say Canada had much to do with the growth in USA craft beer as in some states they were and in some cases in some states still are actually a step ahead of Canada on the beer scene.

Dude this was just a little good natured ribbing. It shouldn't have been taken too seriously. ;)

james
04-03-2013, 01:35 PM
Dude this was just a little good natured ribbing. It shouldn't have been taken too seriously. ;)

I was just explaining for reference, it's all good tho.

Mark in Ottawa
04-03-2013, 01:51 PM
beer was never made to be that cold in your pint glass. Once it gets below a temperature it just takes away any taste.
Tell that to my local LCBO where I keep finding British ales in the coolers.
I just keep it in the basement or pop it into the fridge for a short while but keeping it chilled for days on end? Weird.

Mark in Ottawa
04-03-2013, 01:56 PM
The GF had to try the Keiths Cider and thought it was terrible.
Oh so they did stock a cider of some sort. I wondered as I didn't see any in my admittedly very fast look past. Not that I was about to buy anything at the prices on offer.

I did get a laugh, after a moments pause, outta the one outlet with a young lady selling out of a stand alone cooler of some sort that invited people to "grab a few buds" :facepalm:

Mark in Ottawa
04-03-2013, 02:00 PM
its sad to see BMO no carry more craft selections. There are dozens of craft or micro breweries within minutes of the stadium.
Budweiser wouldn't want a captive audience to discover a better product that they might start frequenting once they had escaped the confines of BMO field ... would they?

After all don't they routinely use scantily clad women to sell their beer because the product just can't on its own?

jaahuuu
04-03-2013, 04:07 PM
Budweiser wouldn't want a captive audience to discover a better product that they might start frequenting once they had escaped the confines of BMO field ... would they?
Lowenbrau, Spaten, Negra Modelo, Staropramen, and Goose Island would put money in the same pockets as the swill they are selling now.

They made a huge issue about the new gourmet food, I wish they'd have done the same with the beer.

Kaz
04-03-2013, 07:37 PM
And no Strongbow. Asked the guy and he mentioned people had been asking for it all day. The GF had to try the Keiths Cider and thought it was terrible. My $14 Bud was GREAT though :(
Keiths Cider is horrible. There are many great ciders, Keiths maybe the worst Cider I have ever had...

james
04-03-2013, 11:41 PM
Lowenbrau, Spaten, Negra Modelo, Staropramen, and Goose Island would put money in the same pockets as the swill they are selling now.

They made a huge issue about the new gourmet food, I wish they'd have done the same with the beer.

I just looked online, InBev own over 200 brands of beer. I looked on the list, a lot are crap, some are actually really good beers and there is a lot on that list that i have never seen or tried before. But why the hell can't they have some of there good beer brands at the stadium if they own some great beers that would end up in the same pockets of money anyways?

And also if InBev own 49% of The Beer Store why do they not have more of these beers they own on sale? I would pay for some of those beers InBev owns, I mean good beer is good beer. I pretty much stopped going to The Beer Store because the lack of selection, must just be about 90% bland lager beers on sale in that place. I mean offering some of the other beers could help compete against LCBO and bring in some new customers including myself into the store if they had more selection to choose from. I would really like to know why they continue to not offer certain beers they own them self's. It seems weird to me.

brad
04-04-2013, 08:02 AM

After all don't they routinely use scantily clad women to sell their beer because the product just can't on its own?

See my post above about Bud in the US and craft beer. I have inside info on the what goes on in Bud (in the US at least) in this regard. They don't see craft beer as threat, and are actually pretty supportive of local beer scenes. It might be different here though.

Carts
04-04-2013, 08:49 AM
http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showthread.php?33913-BEER-HERE!!!-From-Craft-Breweries-to-Bud-at-BMO-to-Anything-about-Beautiful-BEER-!&p=1571589#post1571589

Ok lads... HERE YOU GO... :drinking:

Since this is not really TFC 'exact' chat anymore, or about Bud watering down Bud Light (is that possible???) I give you... THE BEER THREAD...

http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showthread.php?33913-BEER-HERE!!!-From-Craft-Breweries-to-Bud-at-BMO-to-Anything-about-Beautiful-BEER-!&p=1571589#post1571589