PDA

View Full Version : Torsten Frings to retire? Announcement 11AM Feb 26

Yohan
02-25-2013, 08:16 PM
TFC is expected to announce retirement of Torsten Frings tomorrow morning

http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/content.php?4232-TFC-to-make-major-announcement

levyashin
02-25-2013, 08:21 PM
Time and tide wait for no man
Great career,fantastic memories.
Enjoy your retiement and have a great coaching career

Yohan
02-25-2013, 08:22 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCpoIMsbeFY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bf7V_ty9TCI

Flipityflu
02-25-2013, 08:32 PM
while i expect Frings to do this, why is TFC branding this a 'major announcement'...its not exactly positive.

there will be something more to this.

scooter
02-25-2013, 08:35 PM
that fucking sucks but if he is done he is done he has had a fabulous career and i wish him all the best

Abou Sky
02-25-2013, 08:38 PM
He will be missed.

Redcoe15
02-25-2013, 08:41 PM
Damn. Not surprised though.

FluSH
02-25-2013, 08:44 PM
He will be missed.

+1..

TFC07
02-25-2013, 08:44 PM
Did TFC offer him a job if he retire so they have cap space like they did with Dichio? Anyway, we lost a player but haven't signed any players. KP sure knows how to cut players, but signing them is another thing.

gracos
02-25-2013, 08:49 PM
Did TFC offer him a job if he retire so they have cap space like they did with Dichio? Anyway, we lost a player but haven't signed any players. KP sure knows how to cut players, but signing them is another thing.

If I remember correctly, he already recieved a position with a club in Germany once he decides to retire, must of felt he couldnt continue his career, so he let management know, that he wanted to retire from TFC and the MLS

TFC07
02-25-2013, 08:52 PM
If I remember correctly, he already recieved a position with a club in Germany once he decides to retire, must of felt he couldnt continue his career, so he let management know, that he wanted to retire from TFC and the MLS

That's good for Frings. Good news is we got more cap space and an international slot. I wish there was a site where it breaks down TFC salary cap. It is such a big unknown when comes to salary cap.

gracos
02-25-2013, 08:55 PM
That's good for Frings. Good news is we got more cap space and an international slot. I wish there was a site where it breaks down TFC salary cap. It is such a big unknown when comes to salary cap.

http://www.mlsplayers.org/files/October%201,%202012%20Salary%20Information%20-%20By%20Club.pdf

What is the maximum a player can be accounted for on the salary, because we have released about $2 million

TFC07
02-25-2013, 08:59 PM
http://www.mlsplayers.org/files/October 1, 2012 Salary Information - By Club.pdf

What is the maximum a player can be accounted for on the salary, because we have released about $2 million

But it doesn't tell us how much allocation money we have left. So question is how much money TFC have to spend to get players right now? Hard to find an answer to that question. We are left in the dark to guess how much money we have to spend.

DangerRed
02-25-2013, 09:10 PM
So now only one question remains: are we signing Lampard... Or Drogba?:hump:

Abou Sky
02-25-2013, 09:33 PM
How allocation money works is a mystery but it seems that it can be carried over.

I would prefer seeing some allocation carried over and just use our base cap which can't be carried over to fill out the team with a number of younger players we can sign a bit cheaper and develop under a couple of more experienced players.

Problem is that the only experienced striker still can't run in anything but a straight line.

Still not worried about this year, it is a write off and we know it.

As for Lamps... I would shit a brick if we got him over LA

He is Defo one of my all time favorite players.

When LA does get him I don't think I can boo him.

mowe
02-25-2013, 09:33 PM
Nothing but respect for Frings, a true professional.

billyfly
02-25-2013, 10:08 PM
So the rumour was true.

Morlesio14
02-25-2013, 10:10 PM
Great career, great player. At least it's not a buyout

Gazza
02-25-2013, 10:31 PM
Pure class. Had nothing but good things to say about his time here. Wish things could've worked out better for him, team-wise and health-wise.

All the best!

jiforio
02-25-2013, 10:44 PM
Torsten was a beast! Nothing but respect for the guy, I just wish his body would've held out a little longer. I'm sure it was a tough decision for him, but I think he got out at the right time. Best of luck Frings! Forever RED!

West220Side
02-25-2013, 10:47 PM
If Frings is retiring tomorrow at this presser, does anybody else wonder if he'll actually be there?
I mean that's what i'm wondering if he'll be there and its a mutual deal or if he'll already be off to Germany and Kevin Payne will be informing us.

khso11
02-25-2013, 11:24 PM
Probably one of (or not) the best player that played for TFC, great to see him here, sad to see him go, hope he'll have a great future in his management career!!!! Maybe in 20-30 years, he'll return to coach TFC ????

Now a banner to say thank you at our home opener maybe?

[NBF]
02-25-2013, 11:30 PM
I was looking for a good picture of "Boxer" from the book "Animal Farm" to post in memory of Torsten Frings's career, but I found this instead:

http://dwighttowers.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/deadhorsetheory.jpg

Marc"2L"
02-26-2013, 12:01 AM
Not sure if it's sad or amazing that the first official word from the club there's a press conference tomorrow is from Rachel's kitchen.

Possibly after the pre-drink session with Asif. I mean, Toronto FC spelled out in magnet fridge magnets.
I love these two, but can we please get a little bit more serious with official club news?

jloome
02-26-2013, 12:17 AM
Not sure if it's sad or amazing that the first official word from the club there's a press conference tomorrow is from Rachel's kitchen.

Possibly after the pre-drink session with Asif. I mean, Toronto FC spelled out in magnet fridge magnets.
I love these two, but can we please get a little bit more serious with official club news?

Well, I'm gonna speculate we're getting a DP tomorrow as well, or at least soon. Two DP slots open as well as a ton of cash, a pair of wingers potentially coming in with a Bostock loan and Ephraim; may still get a Honduran or two as well.

I'm optimistic. Methinks there's a method to all this wage-shedding.

notthesun
02-26-2013, 12:56 AM
Well, I'm gonna speculate we're getting a DP tomorrow as well, or at least soon. Two DP slots open as well as a ton of cash, a pair of wingers potentially coming in with a Bostock loan and Ephraim; may still get a Honduran or two as well.

Well I'll say this, in light of this announcement, this quote is suddenly a little more intriguing:

Players are coming in, that is all I can say right now.

Maybe I'm just reading into it too much so that I have something to get excited about, but could we possibly be replacing Frings right away with a player of some significance?

Yohan
02-26-2013, 01:07 AM

I'd hate to be the guy being announced as signing tomorrow. He's going to have expectation as saviour of TFC and if he doesn't perform, well, TFC crowd will lynch him.

Auzzy
02-26-2013, 01:20 AM
Very sad if true, but somewhat understandable...

If it really is termed a "retirement" when they make the announcement, then that's certainly the respectful thing to do for someone of Torsten's standing. However, "retirement" & "buyout" aren't necessarily opposites. It could be a retirement together with a handsome settlement, for example. And in the end, who knows who really instigated this.

Jpexxx
02-26-2013, 01:25 AM
It will be disappointing for me if the Major Announcement is only Frings leaving.

The optimistic part of me is hoping they have at least 1 or 2 players to announce. The rational part of me expects to be disappointed.

Auzzy
02-26-2013, 01:25 AM
Hmm, you heard it here first, 3pm from Glenchen in Monday's news thread.... :D

Just ran into Torsten, good luck my friend! Best player we ever had!

ensco
02-26-2013, 02:43 AM
He's not "the best player we ever had".

He was done before he got here. He couldn't move well, from the minute he arrived.

Digression about the perils of daring to say anything about St Torsten that didn't/doesn't confirm his wonderfulness: I posted that he couldn't run after the first game he played against Dallas in 2011, and got blitzed for doing so. Also got blitzed for suggesting that his note to RPB, I can't remember exactly what form that took, at the end of last season, about how committed he was to Toronto, may have been less than it seemed.

So before 18 of you give me stick for posting this, my view of the guy is, he was a professional who did his job and never mailed it in. But he didn't have it any more, and he knew it, and instead of packing it in, he stuck it out for the money. Same as you or I would do. But he's not, never was, St Torsten of TFC.

He did show flashes of his former self, especially in the game at the Rogers Centre last year.

The acquisition of Torsten never made football sense. It was a business decision to try to stanch the decline in SSHs, which didn't work.

He is a God in Bremen and will resurface there I am sure.

He owes Klinsmann for helping him to get this $7.5 million gig. Big time.

Alonso
02-26-2013, 03:06 AM
Oh how jaded we have become.

But more or less, it's a fair assessment of his time here IMO.

But. I am willing to shower him with praise and play along, none the less. It's what compadres do right?

He was done before he got here. He couldn't move well, from the minute he arrived.

Digression about the perils of daring to say anything about St Torsten that didn't/doesn't confirm his wonderfulness: I posted that he couldn't run after the first game he played against Dallas in 2011, and got blitzed for doing so. Also got blitzed for suggesting that his note to RPB, I can't remember exactly what form that took, at the end of last season, about how committed he was to Toronto, may have been less than it seemed.

So before 18 of you give me stick for posting this, my view of the guy is, he was a professional who did his job and never mailed it in. But he didn't have it any more, and he knew it, and instead of packing it in, he stuck it out for the money. Same as you or I would do. But he's not, never was, St Torsten of TFC.

He did show flashes of his former self, especially in the game at the Rogers Centre last year.

The acquisition of Torsten never made football sense. It was a business decision to try to stanch the decline in SSHs, which didn't work.

ensco
02-26-2013, 03:43 AM
Oh how jaded we have become.

Hey. I've been jaded from the get go! g:D

PopePouri
02-26-2013, 07:39 AM
he stuck it out for the money.

He received more lucrative deals elsewhere. Anonymity was his main motivation.

Flipityflu
02-26-2013, 08:01 AM
Hmm, you heard it here first, 3pm from Glenchen in Monday's news thread.... :D

to be fair, the story broke on friday on twitter by duane rollins

backbeat
02-26-2013, 08:18 AM
if Torsten retires does that mean TFC can still buy out another player?

Oldtimer
02-26-2013, 08:29 AM
TFC is expected to announce retirement of Torsten Frings tomorrow morning

http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/content.php?4232-TFC-to-make-major-announcement

It may be true, but Duane is just guessing. You shouldn't quote him as a source for anything. Especially not start a thread based on his stuff. He's been wrong so many times before.

However, Kristian Jack is saying the same thing. When a reputable journalist says something, you listen.

The announcement, whatever it is, will be streamed live at 11 AM:

http://www.torontofc.ca/live

Oldtimer
02-26-2013, 08:34 AM
http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/2013/02/25/toronto_fc_torsten_frings_leaving_reds_days_before _start_of_season.html

While speculation has been that TFC will buy out the contract of Frings, whose injury-plagued 2012 season was abruptly ended by hip surgery (http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/tfc/2012/09/05/toronto_fc_captain_torsten_frings_to_miss_rest_of_ season_with_hip_injury.html), retirement is also a strong possibility after the midfielder left training camp in Florida earlier this month.

Flipityflu
02-26-2013, 08:35 AM
so even when a reporter gets something right, he's just guessing? the fact is, like it or not, duane rollins was the first to come forward and say that an announcement was forthcoming, and low and behold, that is exactly what is happening.

reputable or not, Rollins was the one who broke the story.

Oldtimer
02-26-2013, 08:38 AM
so even when a reporter gets something right, he's just guessing? the fact is, like it or not, duane rollins was the first to come forward and say that an announcement was forthcoming, and low and behold, that is exactly what is happening.

He didn't break anything. People have been speculating for months.

Part of the reason that Duane is unreliable is that he jumps to posting something before all the facts are in.

As Girard noted, we don't know yet if it will be a buy out or a retirement. Girard is better connected than Duane and he doesn't know.

Flipityflu
02-26-2013, 08:45 AM
now i remember why i should just stay in the TM thread and find somewhere else to talk about TFC.

Oldtimer
02-26-2013, 08:53 AM
now i remember why i should just stay in the TM thread and find somewhere else to talk about TFC.

http://www.bigsoccer.com/community/forums/toronto-fc.1045/

It's grown into a fair-sized community.

Their discussion on this same topic:

http://www.bigsoccer.com/community/threads/frings-gone.1983140/

ChrisFizik
02-26-2013, 09:07 AM
Torsten Frings, Torsten Frings, Torsten Frings.
Torsten Frings, Torsten Frings, Torsten Fri-ngs.
Torsten Frings, Torsten Frings, Torsten Frings.
Torsten Frings! Tor-sten Frings.

Chevy
02-26-2013, 09:12 AM
It will be disappointing for me if the Major Announcement is only Frings leaving.

The optimistic part of me is hoping they have at least 1 or 2 players to announce. The rational part of me expects to be disappointed.

I think out of respect for Frings they shouldn't announce any signings tomorrow. Leave that for later in the week (and let's pray that they actually are coming)

Northern Soul
02-26-2013, 09:12 AM
http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2013/02/frings-announces-retirement

Phil
02-26-2013, 09:15 AM
Sad to see such a such a classy player leave. I wish him all the best and I hope he enjoyed his time here.

sidvan
02-26-2013, 09:15 AM
http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2013/02/frings-announces-retirement

First post the announcement and then have a press conference to confirm your posting?

TOBOR !
02-26-2013, 09:18 AM
;1560604']I was looking for a good picture of "Boxer" from the book "Animal Farm" to post in memory of Torsten Frings's career, but I found this instead:

http://dwighttowers.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/deadhorsetheory.jpg

love it.

backbeat
02-26-2013, 09:38 AM
First post the announcement and then have a press conference to confirm your posting?

post announcement for his retirement and press conference for signings??

tfcleeds
02-26-2013, 09:40 AM
Wouldn't expect any signings to be confirmed at this press conference, but hopefully KP will be able to shed more light when he's asked the inevitable questions.

Joe Kool
02-26-2013, 09:40 AM

Yeah that is what I thought. Kinda weird to book a major announcement press conference and then post an announcement about it before the press conference. Hopefully there is something more to it than just rehashing what was said in the announcement on the TFC site.

Nuvinho
02-26-2013, 09:41 AM
Yeah that is what I thought. Kinda weird to book a major announcement press conference and then post an announcement about it before the press conference. Hopefully there is something more to it than just rehashing what was said in the announcement on the TFC site.

I was thinking the same thing. There has to be more news that Frings retiring, maybe 3 or 4 new signings :)

OgtheDim
02-26-2013, 09:50 AM
I remember watching him lift the Voyageurs Cup and thinking, "You know, that's going to be the last trophy he ever lifts as a player." He was smiling that day like he'd won the Bundislega.

Like all the best older middies, it was his ability to be in the right place that stood out most.

Good to see that he leaves on good terms.

Smokecell
02-26-2013, 09:50 AM
According to Luke Wileman twitter yesterday there will be no signing announcements today.

https://twitter.com/LukeWileman/status/306219804602269696

Initial B
02-26-2013, 09:53 AM
If they are saying a Major Announcement, then it can't be for just Frings retirement. I'm thinking they need some good news to offset the seemingly endless litany of woes this club is experiencing and new signings would help. But there is no way we get Lampard - we still don't have enough of the right pieces to support his talents. I just see him becoming increasingly disillusioned and asking for a trade within two years. I'm hoping we sign two players using the young DP rule instead.

Edit: If it really is just a retirement announcement, my opinion of KP will continue to sink. At this point, my optimism has faded to fatalism - there is nobody else on the horizon willing to touch this organization, so we just have to live with the status quo for the next 3 years before MLS finally pulls the plug on this franchise. :(

Brooker
02-26-2013, 09:55 AM
Thank you, Mr Frings!

Stop with the dick measuring contests.

socceronly
02-26-2013, 10:13 AM

I think it would be truly awesome if people held the media to the same level of criticism Duane receives for being a volunteer.

nfitz
02-26-2013, 10:14 AM
I was thinking the same thing. There has to be more news that Frings retiring, maybe 3 or 4 new signings :)The press release does refer to "Watch Frings announcement live at 11 a.m. ET (http://www.torontofc.ca/live)" so perhaps all that there is.

Canary10
02-26-2013, 10:16 AM
If they are saying a Major Announcement, then it can't be for just Frings retirement. I'm thinking they need some good news to offset the seemingly endless litany of woes this club is experiencing and new signings would help. But there is no way we get Lampard - we still don't have enough of the right pieces to support his talents. I just see him becoming increasingly disillusioned and asking for a trade within two years. I'm hoping we sign two players using the young DP rule instead.

Edit: If it really is just a retirement announcement, my opinion of KP will continue to sink. At this point, my optimism has faded to fatalism - there is nobody else on the horizon willing to touch this organization, so we just have to live with the status quo for the next 3 years before MLS finally pulls the plug on this franchise. :(

There should be some signing announcements soon, I agree. FFS, we have four days until our first match! But Payne should not announce those this morning at this press conference. This should be about Frings only. My respect for Payne will actually go down if it is anything more than a retirement announcement. But it looks like they are doing this right, which is good to see. Maybe things are changing.

backbeat
02-26-2013, 10:16 AM
I think it would be truly awesome if people held the media to the same level of criticism Duane receives for being a volunteer.

they are - i don't know how many times i read complaints about our media and specific reporters "covering" TFC

notthesun
02-26-2013, 10:19 AM

I agree with a lot of this, especially the business decision part.

But I still maintain he was the best player we've had so far, even if he was only able to perform at that level in 2011. His other qualities more than made up for his lack of mobility (which, IMO, wasn't all that bad until he pulled his hammy against Seattle on First Kick 2012).

ManUtd4ever
02-26-2013, 10:25 AM
He's not "the best player we ever had".He was done before he got here. He couldn't move well, from the minute he arrived. Digression about the perils of daring to say anything about St Torsten that didn't/doesn't confirm his wonderfulness: I posted that he couldn't run after the first game he played against Dallas in 2011, and got blitzed for doing so. Also got blitzed for suggesting that his note to RPB, I can't remember exactly what form that took, at the end of last season, about how committed he was to Toronto, may have been less than it seemed. So before 18 of you give me stick for posting this, my view of the guy is, he was a professional who did his job and never mailed it in. But he didn't have it any more, and he knew it, and instead of packing it in, he stuck it out for the money. Same as you or I would do. But he's not, never was, St Torsten of TFC.He did show flashes of his former self, especially in the game at the Rogers Centre last year.The acquisition of Torsten never made football sense. It was a business decision to try to stanch the decline in SSHs, which didn't work.He is a God in Bremen and will resurface there I am sure. He owes Klinsmann for helping him to get this $7.5 million gig. Big time.I think your assessment is honest and fair, although I would suggest that he was still playing at a fairly high level when he first arrived in 2011 and prior to his injury early last season. He had lost a step, but his vision and distribution were still world class.

Greatest Ripoff
02-26-2013, 10:29 AM

You must not read this board too often. I'd say Larsen gets much more criticism.

And for being a volunteer, nobody has asked him to be a volunteer and I am sure most people would actually prefer if he wasn't.

JuliquE
02-26-2013, 10:40 AM
Many here are saying this isn't a "major announcement," but I think that's part of the problem with the culture at Toronto FC.

This is, in every sense of the word, a legendary player, with an extensive career, both at club level and internationally for Germany -- a national side surely amongst the world's powerhouses. During his time, here, even being a fraction of the player he once was, we were at our best with him on the pitch and the results reflected this. He left it all out there and, for me, was always a class act -- a true professional.

Someone mentioned, in another thread, that he had been wretchedly thrown under the bus, in his last competitive match and I literally felt a pain inside me; as much as I was delighted to have had him here, to see how things have ended, I would prefer it if we weren't THAT club.

I would argue that this is the first sign of our club going in the right direction, towards improving our reputation and the culture, at large. For me, them stating that he is set to retire, before the major press-conference, serves to underline the importance of honouring the player; we know he's retiring -- now let's properly show our appreciation for his services. Perhaps it's just impatience brewing with some of us, here, resulting from the lack of signings.. but, this should be seen as a big deal and worthy of it's "major announcement" labelling.

Vielen Dank Herr Frings. Ich werde es nie vergessen, wenn du ein Tor gegen Limpact gemacht hast -- ein tolles Torstentor! Ich wünsche dir viel Glück und Spaß in deiner Zukunft.

(Hope what I've written above is okay, considering the special nature of this thread)

DangerRed
02-26-2013, 10:45 AM
Glad he's done. Great player, but time waits for no man. Frees up a critical slot in the team, as well as $. Also notice this quote from Payne, which is encouraging:

“We appreciate Torsten’s commitment to Toronto FC and are pleased he has agreed to work with us, particularly in Europe, on future projects."

Maybe we'll get some scouting value out of Frings?

Yagbod
02-26-2013, 10:50 AM
I think my lasting memory of Frings with Toronto will be that ridiculous subway promo where he was looking to play pass with someone. I still can't believe they did that to such a great player.

Dbl_D
02-26-2013, 10:50 AM
Nothing but respect for Frings, a true professional.
+1 sorry to see his career end... definitely will miss him

tfcleeds
02-26-2013, 10:52 AM
I think my lasting memory of Frings with Toronto will be that ridiculous subway promo where he was looking to play pass with someone. I still can't believe they did that to such a great player.Never been able to bring myself to watch that - just cringe-worthy.

Oldtimer
02-26-2013, 10:52 AM
Glad he's done. Great player, but time waits for no man. Frees up a critical slot in the team, as well as $. Also notice this quote from Payne, which is encouraging:

“We appreciate Torsten’s commitment to Toronto FC and are pleased he has agreed to work with us, particularly in Europe, on future projects."

Would make sense, he'll be coaching young players, many of which his club will be happy to sell.

Petor
02-26-2013, 10:56 AM
Stream is up and running, just some guy reading a newspaper so far.

JuliquE
02-26-2013, 10:58 AM

Even though we won't hold too huge a place in his heart, after a short and tumultuous spell with us (injury, etc.), I'm sure that he would not be able to help feeling a bit of pride to know we're doing well and, as such, I'm quite sure that, in some capacity, we can surely expect him to lend a helping hand to the last club he's played for, from time to time.

On that note, I think that, besides the departure from old ways of forcing players out, this major announcement will undoubtedly give KP the chance to field questions re: signings and calm a few nerves, on that front.. all the while appearing to have not been the focus, unless steered in that direction by the media. It would be interesting if he takes a stand and expresses that he won't be fielding any such questions, out of respect for Torsten; would still say that this is a huge positive, even if he doesn't go so far and you can certainly understand him wanting to clear the air a bit, considering the state of affairs with the side, four days from his first MLS match at the helm.

DangerRed
02-26-2013, 11:01 AM
On that note, I think that, besides the departure from old ways of forcing players out, this major announcement will undoubtedly give KP the chance to field questions re: signings and calm a few nerves, on that front.. all the while appearing to have not been the focus, unless steered in that direction by the media. It would be interesting if he takes a stand and expresses that he won't be fielding any such questions, out of respect for Torsten; would still say that this is a huge positive, even if he doesn't go so far and you can certainly understand him wanting to clear the air a bit, considering the state of affairs with the side, four days from his first MLS match at the helm.

Yep. That's the advice I'd be giving KP.

mowe
02-26-2013, 11:07 AM
This "relationship" means Frings can stay on the payroll (not the cap) without using up a buyout.

notthesun
02-26-2013, 11:08 AM
I didn't realize Frings was actually this accomplished in English.

edit: "A couple of ideas about designated players" says Payne.

DangerRed
02-26-2013, 11:13 AM
Then that implies Danny K's going to get bought out.

OgtheDim
02-26-2013, 11:14 AM
"come back every year"

Hmmm............legends game?

Yohan
02-26-2013, 11:14 AM
Bostock and Robert Earnshaw on trial

flamehawk
02-26-2013, 11:15 AM
Hogan Ephraim confirmed on loan, currently negotiating with QPR.

Bostock confirmed on trial.

Robert Earnshaw! also on trial, he's 'looking at us' and we're 'looking at them'.

Looking at two players in Honduras, younger players.

Onstad is in Argentina looking to sign a young forward as a DP.

All these players will be initially on loan to assess them before signing.

Gazza
02-26-2013, 11:17 AM
Robbie Earnshaw...he's LIKE Dickov.

tfcleeds
02-26-2013, 11:18 AM
Lol...Earnshaw. Not sure how much left he's got, but it is interesting when FIFA 12 comes to life, hahaha. (he's on my squad).

DangerRed

Robert Earnshaw! also on trial, he's 'looking at us' and we're 'looking at them'.

And there you have it, the real reason for the press conference. This is huge and gives me a great degree of comfort heading into the season. Takeoff will be turbulent since none of these guys have really played together a lot, but hopefully by the 5-game mark we'll start seeing a bit of cohesion.

Suds
More than anything, I hope Torsten's time here was an example to players, coaches, and TFC office staff of how a world-class professional of the game conducts themselves. That alone could be invaluable in years to come.

notthesun
02-26-2013, 11:25 AM
Then that implies Danny K's going to get bought out.

He was referring to new signings, I didn't think that referenced Danny at all. I really doubt he'll be gone.

Good to hear about Ephraim and the others.

Luanda
02-26-2013, 11:27 AM

We have 7 spots open. If all of these pan out, there is not much room for the other trialists.

ManUtd4ever
02-26-2013, 11:38 AM
Payne definitely has a lot of irons in the fire, and the list of names mentioned thus far is fairly impressive, all things considered.

Hopefully, these loans are finalized shortly.

TFC Cityboy
02-26-2013, 11:42 AM
Good Luck, Torsten. Personally, I felt he was slow and unfit last season, but some of that is likely the fault of the lack of pre-season fitness training.
Time waits for no man, and with his hip issue and age , it makes sense to retire.
This frees up a shitload of cap space and it's time for Payne to get his finger out and bring in some players asap.
Not the wrong players for the sake of filling out the squad, but there is some degree of urgency to bring players in over the next few weeks. This should have been done in Jan/Feb, but with the Nelsen situation it's understandable it took a back seat.
I worry tho that many in the stands will be less forgiving if we start as we did in 2012.

notthesun
02-26-2013, 11:43 AM
One of those Hondurans we're looking at is reportedly Alfredo Mejia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfredo_Mej%C3%ADa).

15 caps for Honduras, formerly of Udinese reserve squad.

Initial B
02-26-2013, 11:45 AM
Meh. It looks like Bostock would take Silva's place, Earnshaw would replace Braun, and Ephraim would take the vacant winger spot. Why do I get the feeling that we're about to become the clearing house for all the QPR players they can't afford after they get relegated?

OgtheDim
02-26-2013, 11:49 AM
QPR can't afford their current roster even if they stayed up. No way we would be able to afford their cast offs.

Oldtimer
02-26-2013, 11:51 AM
In the announcement Torsten looked like he was starting to choke up at one point at not being able to play this year (I doubt it's due to MLS being a big deal :D , I think it's always difficult when a player hangs up their boots). He sounded 100% genuine and sincere.

Payne handled his part with great class and sensitivity, something we've never seen here in the past, first refusing to answer any roster questions until Torsten had had his time, then switching to that when Torsten started to choke up. I've respected Payne in the past, but my respect just went up even more another notch.

Canary10
02-26-2013, 12:00 PM
In the announcement Torsten looked like he was starting to choke up at one point at not being able to play this year (I doubt it's due to MLS being a big deal :D , I think it's always difficult when a player hangs up their boots). He sounded 100% genuine and sincere.

Payne handled his part with great class and sensitivity, something we've never seen here in the past, first refusing to answer any roster questions until Torsten had had his time, then switching to that when Torsten started to choke up. I've respected Payne in the past, but my respect just went up even more another notch.

I agree. I'm glad they did this right (for once).

Gazza
02-26-2013, 12:12 PM
It might be a coincidence that this was a classier than usual press conference, seeing as Anselmi wasn't involved.

Very impressed with the way Payne handled the media and the amount of respect he showed Torsten.

T-boy
02-26-2013, 12:16 PM
QPR can't afford their current roster even if they stayed up. No way we would be able to afford their cast offs.

QPR's roster has been horribly mismanaged the last 2 years. They have a lot of players that are decent but aren't getting into the squad at all anymore. I'm sure some of them would love to just get some playing time, even if it means a pay cut. Warnock's original squad that got promotion was decent enough, and I'd love some of those players. Then Hughes took over and dumped them ALL. Then Redknapp took over and then dumped Hughes' players! So, they've got several players that aren't even signed up in the playing squad this year.

Ajax TFC
02-26-2013, 12:24 PM
It might be a coincidence that this was a classier than usual press conference, seeing as Anselmi wasn't involved.
Tommy boy would have said that it's unfortunate that they were forced to make this decision, however it is unacceptable for such a high payed player to miss so many games, and that this was a unnecessary move for the club to be able to move forward

JayMolly
02-26-2013, 03:38 PM
I think my lasting memory of Frings with Toronto will be that ridiculous subway promo where he was looking to play pass with someone. I still can't believe they did that to such a great player.

Yes, that was a very negative memory. But for me when Torsten scored that goal in Montreal, WOW!
All of those Reds screaming and a 'hush' from the blue and white supporters. That is my lasting memory!
Take care Mr. Frings.

ManUtd4ever
02-26-2013, 03:41 PM
My favorite Frings moment is the world class long ball he delivered to Silva at the Rogers Center to put TFC up 2-0 in front of over 50,000 rabid supporters.

I can't believe that was only a year ago.

tfcleeds
02-26-2013, 03:47 PM
My favorite Frings moment is the world class long ball he delivered to Silva at the Rogers Center to put TFC up 2-0 in front of over 50,000 rabid supporters.I can't believe that was only a year ago.Seems like that was eons ago.

Jack
02-26-2013, 03:52 PM
I appreciate what he brought, even though he was on his last legs. When he got here, he was already running on fumes, but he still played with a lot of class under some pretty strange circumstances. Sure, he got paid well to do so, but in the end, he was a pro about it. Best of luck to him.

__wowza
02-26-2013, 05:46 PM
like i said on the TFC facebook, we were privileged to have a man who defended against the likes of xavi, fabregas, and inesta playing for our club.

AlanO
02-26-2013, 06:27 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/sports/photos/2012/09/05/frings-torsten_940-8col.jpg

ensco
02-26-2013, 06:34 PM
My favorite Frings moment is the world class long ball he delivered to Silva at the Rogers Center to put TFC up 2-0 in front of over 50,000 rabid supporters.

What a ball that was.

Petor
02-26-2013, 06:39 PM
What a ball that was.

His corner which led to the first goal wasn't bad either!

http://youtu.be/jB6hAn7WRx8

burlington Red
02-26-2013, 07:26 PM
Classy player, even on his last legs he was still a class above in this league. The changes in management, and having to play different positions didn't help his cause and of course injuries didn't help either.The influence he will have exerted to younger players in our ranks means we will still be reaping his wisdom for a few yrs after he has gone. The first proper leader the team ever had on the field. Good luck to him

Richard
02-26-2013, 07:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48_kvkXZoYE

Toronto_Bhoy
02-26-2013, 07:52 PM
I said when he signed he was beyond his "best before" date. Even at 34 when he came he already had high mileage at the highest level of club and country football.

Having said all of that, he was still light years better than anyone who have worn Red. What a treat to watch.

Danke schoen Tortsen!

Technorgasm
02-27-2013, 09:47 AM
Thanks for the Birthday present Torsten. .

thanks alot

Have fun on the golf course.

sad he is gone.