Yohan
03-02-2013, 07:51 PM
huge save from Bendik

FluSH
03-02-2013, 07:51 PM
So far so good...

SirBobSaget
03-02-2013, 07:55 PM
OK Nelson dont get out-coached by Rennie. Caps already used 2 subs. Match seems to have turned tide with Reo-Coker sub

FluSH
03-02-2013, 07:56 PM
Wooooooow.... We have Angels watching over us!

Gazza
03-02-2013, 07:56 PM
There's the Jeremy Hall i remember.

mr k
03-02-2013, 07:57 PM
Is this real life?

But let's be honest, curling probably gets better ratings.

For today, MLS in Canada can only dream of achieving the ratings of the Brier or even the run of the mill curling match. Only World Cup or Euro for soccer can match curling.

tiberius
03-02-2013, 07:59 PM
We are looking pretty good - post Mariner - my 36 points stand - either the shitecaps are playing absolutely awful... or... we are going to be OK!!! Praise to Payne et. al...

OgtheDim
03-02-2013, 07:59 PM
Well that was coming.

Midfield issues.

AlanO
03-02-2013, 08:00 PM
Oops

FluSH
03-02-2013, 08:00 PM
Ok spoke too soon... There was nothing the keeper could have done there.

ManUtd4ever
03-02-2013, 08:01 PM
Hall cost us that goal.

billyfly
03-02-2013, 08:03 PM
Same old same old in my eyes.

Shakes McQueen
03-02-2013, 08:05 PM
Only been home long enough to catch the second half, and from what I can see, we look fucking terrible. I swear Vancouver held possession for like 8 minutes straight there, with the occasional desperate kick upfield from us. You could see that eventual goal coming from a mile away.

I can only assume the first half must have been better, because if it was 45 minutes of what I've seen here, this thread would be 32 pages long, and filled with people losing their minds.

- Scott

Yohan
03-02-2013, 08:08 PM
the lads look gassed out already. terrible off the ball movement

OgtheDim
03-02-2013, 08:09 PM
Being outcoached here.

Jack
03-02-2013, 08:12 PM
Only been home long enough to catch the second half, and from what I can see, we look fucking terrible. I swear Vancouver held possession for like 8 minutes straight there, with the occasional desperate kick upfield from us. You could see that eventual goal coming from a mile away.

I can only assume the first half must have been better, because if it was 45 minutes of what I've seen here, this thread would be 32 pages long, and filled with people losing their minds.

- Scott
The first half left me hopeful, the second half has left me feeling that the more things change, the more they stay the same. We need to be ready for a long season. My expectations were already at a very low level, so I'm just going to ride this season out and see what happens.

SirBobSaget
03-02-2013, 08:13 PM
Being outcoached here.

Yep. Reo-Coker introduction making all the difference

OgtheDim
03-02-2013, 08:15 PM
So what sort of an organization allows for a 50 50 draw announcement during the run of play?

Yohan
03-02-2013, 08:15 PM
Taylor Morgan for Dunfield

bigredone
03-02-2013, 08:16 PM
Ball watching, delayed kicks and sloppy passing is all I have seen since tuning in at second half. Good move just made, Terry leaving the field.

Not all gloom though. We are up against a decent squad that may just be our countries champs. So only down by 1 is ok...............................................r ight?

Shakes McQueen
03-02-2013, 08:17 PM
I'm not even assigning any sort of blame for it, but shitty football is shitty football, and this has just been vintage TFC from what I've seen - lots of hoofing it upfield, then repeatedly bending under pressure until we eventually break.

It's the first game of the season, so I'm prepared to see more before I write anything or anyone off, but this is not an auspicious start.

- Scott

Jack
03-02-2013, 08:18 PM
Yep. Reo-Coker introduction making all the difference
He's a hell of a player.

notthesun
03-02-2013, 08:22 PM
I wouldn't say Nelsen is being outcoached... we just don't have a Reo-Coker to bring on. He's made the difference since the start of the 2nd half.

Vancouver's had the edge this half while the first was pretty even. Still, I don't think we've been absolutely terrible this half, I think there's some hyperbole going on here. We've certainly lost a step but it's not pathetic. This is better than Mariner for me.

Yohan
03-02-2013, 08:24 PM
Welshman for Earnshaw

OgtheDim
03-02-2013, 08:27 PM
And If I was a whitecaps fan and only saw the first half I'd be ticked.

If you had told anybody we'd win possession at the half, we'd be happy with that alone. Looking at this long term, yes we have issues.

But we played well for a full half, and it has been a LOOOOOONG time since we've done that. Without our best AM and best DM, againt one of the best in form teams, at their place, with a rookie coach, this could have, so far, gone a lot worse.

Oh, and Mattocks is a selfish twit....

SirBobSaget
03-02-2013, 08:28 PM
I'm not even assigning any sort of blame for it, but shitty football is shitty football, and this has just been vintage TFC from what I've seen - lots of hoofing it upfield, then repeatedly bending under pressure until we eventually break.

It's the first game of the season, so I'm prepared to see more before I write anything or anyone off, but this is not an auspicious start.

- Scott

Missing the 1st half is clowding your impressions. TFC looked really good then. CAps made some adjudstments plus Reo-Coker made big diference 2nd half.

Jack
03-02-2013, 08:29 PM
They're killing us.

Kaz
03-02-2013, 08:30 PM
It's so sad we couldn't have produced anything towards the end... I was worried about a change after half having an impact for Vancouver...

Still we didn't do horrible all things considered.

AlanO
Need to sign some DMs. Badly.

bigredone
Glimmer of D at the end and I agree it could have been worse. We have more to offer them next time.

OgtheDim
03-02-2013, 08:32 PM
And across the country tens of thousands of curlers are now going, "WHAT'S THIS!?!?!"

bigredone
03-02-2013, 08:34 PM
Haha go Ontario?

SirBobSaget
03-02-2013, 08:35 PM
Missing 3 starters, plus 2 joining the team days ago, cant be too disapointed with a 1-0 loss on the west coast

ManUtd4ever
03-02-2013, 08:35 PM
I think that the additions of Silva and Cesar will help our club immensely. We just lacked the quality to match Vancouver once they brought on Reo-Coker in the second half.

billyfly
03-02-2013, 08:36 PM
Welshman for Earnshaw

I giggled when I saw the substitution.

Gazza
03-02-2013, 08:36 PM
With a mix of lowered expectations and the fact that for the most part, we played a solid road game, i ain't even mad (as the kids say these days).

Ivy
03-02-2013, 08:37 PM
Very good effort by the reds. Replace the 2 starting centre mids (dunfield and hall), and we'll have a team.

T-boy
03-02-2013, 08:38 PM
I wasn't too disappointed or angry with that! Some good points - Bekker looks very decent. We have to remember that was his first ever pro football game, so he will improve and he's going to be a good MLS player, if not better than this league. Ephrain looked decent too. Earnshaw is going to be fine in the MLS, when he's fit. He only just got with the team last week, so he needs 3 or 4 games under his belt. Also, TFC kept possession well on several occassions (had a good spell mid way through the second half, as well as most of the first half). Vancouver were at home, with a much more settled team. So, nothing to panic about for TFC.

TFC07
03-02-2013, 08:39 PM
You can't ask more from a team missing 3 starters and have couple of players who haven't played and practice with the team on the filed. Once Silva and Cesar are back and plus couple of high profile signings in the summer, then this team could be good enough to win games.

ManUtd4ever
03-02-2013, 08:39 PM
I thought the play of Bekker was impressive for his MLS debut. I thought he looked very composed out there for a rookie.

AlanO
03-02-2013, 08:40 PM
Very good effort by the reds. Replace the 2 starting centre mids (dunfield and hall), and we'll have a team.
^^This. Dunfield was okay tonight but should be a depth CM in this league.

Was expecting a lot worse.

Kaz
03-02-2013, 08:41 PM
Honestly we could have pulled a point of that game, I just don't think we were prepared for what happened at the half.

All in all... a fit Earnshaw and Danny upfront at the same time could be fun to watch.

Gazza
03-02-2013, 08:42 PM
Very impressed with Ephraim. Jeremy Hall ball watches more than any other player on the field. So hopefully Cesar isn't too injured.

OgtheDim
03-02-2013, 08:43 PM
So, what will the Larsun headline be?

"Heroic effort by old regime stalwarts undone by unfamiliarity of new signings."

or

"TFC falling apart, well except for Terry Dunfield"

HuTor

We all knew the midfield is sub MLS level since Dunfield and Hall was starting.
These 2 guys have no business playing more than 20 minutes as subs in any MLS game.

Shakes McQueen
Missing the 1st half is clowding your impressions. TFC looked really good then. CAps made some adjudstments plus Reo-Coker made big diference 2nd half.

As I said - I'm only commenting on the 2nd half, as that's all I saw. But what I saw, was utter shit.

I'll take your word for it that the 1st half was much better looking, though still 0-0.

- Scott

DangerRed
I think a lot of you are being unfair. That was WAY better than last year, on all fronts, and some of these guys

Have been with the team for less than two days. We play like this next weekend, we will get a result.

T-boy
03-02-2013, 08:44 PM
Replace Hall with Cesar, and have Bekker play a deeper roll (like Lampard at Chelsea this season), and Silva in place of Dunfield in the more advanced roll, and we have a decent looking team. Maybe some competition for Lambe on the right wing too. Otherwise, we aren't a million miles away from being at least competative. We should be able to get points at home, on this outing.

Mr. Bigby
03-02-2013, 08:44 PM
If you had told me before the game that we would be on the losing end of a 1- nil score, I wouldn't have believed you, given the late start to training and the number of last minute additions. I saw a team that was in it to the end and didn't quit, certainly NOT a pushover, and showing signs of better things to come. The defense looked competent, and I was very impressed by Bekker.

If you thought we could expect more than that at this stage, give your heads a shake.

Dreadlocks
03-02-2013, 08:45 PM
Thought we could have got away with a point.

What`s encouraging to me is that what we were lacking is something Silva is capable of bringing. A creative midfield presence.

BTW, I put that goal on Calif. If he steps forward one meter and is inline with O`Dea, Koffie has no space.

Anyway, the team looked better that I thought they would. I can`t wait to see them in May or June.

T-boy
03-02-2013, 08:47 PM
Agreed with Bigby, I thought we would lose this by at least 3. To be in it until the last seconds, and having the Vancouver fans whistling for the end of the game, is a fantastic showing from TFC given all the new players, new coach etc!

Gazza
03-02-2013, 08:48 PM
As I said - I'm only commenting on the 2nd half, as that's all I saw. But what I saw, was utter shit.

I'll take your word for it that the 1st half was much better looking, though still 0-0.

- Scott

The first half was some of the most organized bit of football TFC has played since it's inception. And that's not hyperbole, like how Weedman is the best finisher of the modern era.

Weren't really prepared for the beginning of the second half, and some of the key contributors from the first half were gassed. Not to mention the sub of Reo-Coker was a real shot in the arm to the Craps.

mowe
03-02-2013, 08:51 PM
I think that the additions of Silva and Cesar will help our club immensely. We just lacked the quality to match Vancouver once they brought on Reo-Coker in the second half.

Agreed. A Bekker-Cesar pairing in the middle with Silva in front could be good. Those guys can't get back soon enough. The goal looked to be O'Dea's fault. Didn't close out fast enough. But overall the team looks more organized than any point over the last two years.

I never thought a 1-0 loss would get me so excited.

notthesun
03-02-2013, 08:53 PM
I think a lot of you are being unfair. That was WAY better than last year, on all fronts, and some of these guys

Have been with the team for less than two days. We play like this next weekend, we will get a result.

Agreed. 2nd half was nowhere near as bad as some people are making it out to be. We got outplayed, not dismantled.

Remember, our biggest attacking threat and best defensive midfielder were both out for this match. It sucks to lose but really, most of us were expecting to give up at least two goals today, and surely one in the first half.

Positives: Bendik looks like a legitimate keeper. The back line was solid overall. More possession and more meaningful possession than under Mariner. Ephraim has a nice touch, he just needs to take on his man a bit more. Bekker and Earnshaw both looked good.

Negatives: Hall and Dunfield have both had far worse games, but combining them in central midfield like that kills our passing and marking. I think Hall may have been to blame on the goal. Lambe was mostly ineffectual again, I'd like to see Welshman start over him next week.

Corpand
So after the dust has settled:

Califf is a boss with his height, tons of headers. His speed is really lacking though and he would of gotten caught out if Lambe and Eks weren't busting their asses to get back and defend.

Morgan, work on your damn positioning.

Loved Epharim's touch, the ball sticks to his feet ala Messi. Not a speedster but seemed more comfortable than most players today to go around his man.

Lambe just does the same touch-touch trick everytime he runs forward so that he gets tackled. Almost like he gives up on the play once he passes 2 defenders. Confidence issue?

Bendik is massive. Size-wise. Good reach to grab balls whipped in. Need to see more to fully judge.

Earnshaw showed his potential today. Looked gassed second half as he kept making overlapping runs 1st half, looking for the through pass that never, ever came.

Bekker you slick mofo. He has some decent vision and makes risky passes successfully. Not sure about his tackling but he needs to replace the Dunce Hall (either) so that he can distribute from deeper in the field.

Decent game, could have been worse. Onto the next!

AlanO
Should give Bendik some credit too. Looked confident and made some saves when called upon. He had no chance on the goal so can't be faulted for that.

Marc"2L"
03-02-2013, 08:54 PM
Welcome back TFC

1 - 0 on the road,

I guess that's ok.
Hope it doesn't hurt the turn out next week.

Gazza
03-02-2013, 08:54 PM
Agreed. A Bekker-Cesar pairing in the middle with Silva in front could be good. Those guys can't get back soon enough. The goal looked to be O'Dea's fault. Didn't close out fast enough. But overall the team looks more organized than any point over the last two years.

I never thought a 1-0 loss would get me so excited.

The goal came through the midfield. Hall running around like a chicken with his head cut off and no one picked up the overlapping run.

Ajax TFC
03-02-2013, 09:03 PM
I don't think this team will be horrible if they can get in shape. The shittyness of our team was mostly down to lack of chemistry with the new guys, and lack of fitness. I also don't see Hall and Dunfield being the CM pairing for very long. Although I do think that starting them, even with the injuries to Cesar and Silva, was a coaching mistake.

BTW, I find it kind of funny that Mariner bitched about Winter organizing too few preseason games which left the squad out of shape, and then organized a preseason with just as few games, leaving the squad out of shape going into the season

notthesun
03-02-2013, 09:04 PM
Hoping to see a completely different pair of central midfielders next week. Julio Cesar for sure if he's healthy, and then I'm fine with either Bekker or Russell.

boban
03-02-2013, 09:10 PM
The first half left me hopeful, the second half has left me feeling that the more things change, the more they stay the same. We need to be ready for a long season. My expectations were already at a very low level, so I'm just going to ride this season out and see what happens.
I have to agree with you and, uhmmm, macqeen. We have no offense, this was only one game for the defense. If VWC had 1 or 2 fortunate touches we would have been dismantled. Let's get re-acquainted with Bill Murray and GHD people.

pawlukj
03-02-2013, 09:17 PM
we didnt play too bad, our back end actually had pace moving the ball up and played it nicely most of the time , defensive hickup cost us, our offense is definately lacking but earnshawe's first touch on that lob from the back showed he's got talent so looking to see what he can bring

barticusz
03-02-2013, 09:21 PM
Saw a portion of the first half and then all of the second. I liked what I saw in that first. Good positioning as we were able to pass the ball around and keep possession and move things forward. I also am a huge fan of the high pressure type of game that we played. This caused a good number of turnovers and reminded me of Dortmund to an extent. Granted our guys got worn out by the end of the game. Liked Bekkers play, he looked comfortable on the ball and should continue to improve.

I'm pleased with the overall performance, especially considering we were missing some key players. That WCFC goal was fantastic. Love seeing that type of quality passing in MLS leading to a goal.

OgtheDim
03-02-2013, 09:22 PM
Offence did ok in the first half' but as Devos said, Earnshaw relies upon driving to the byline wingers.

We only had Ephraim doing that.

Given both guys just got here, had no idea they were going to travel 3 time zones for the first match, and were playing on plastic for the first time ever, I'll cut them some slack.

Abou Sky
03-02-2013, 09:41 PM
I thought we did well, lots of chances, as most have said Hall was lacking, Frei may have made a difference in directing from the back and a bit more accurate GKs, I think Dunfield did well but needed to be subbed off.

Not that playing fifa 13 makes me a pro coach, but you have 3 subs, use them by the 85th minute, especially if you are losing.

Mostly it was just really nice to get to watch my reds again.

notthesun
03-02-2013, 10:11 PM
Another positive: no goals or chances conceded from set pieces (other than Rochat's curler that Bendik saved but there's nothing you can do about that).

Gazza
03-02-2013, 10:13 PM
I'm glad Earnshaw didn't score. A front flip on that plastic pitch would've blown both his knees out.

jloome
03-02-2013, 10:14 PM
I thought we looked talented but a little disorganized (expected) and our midfield pairing did OK in terms of defensive cover but were woeful in terms of movement. You can't play what is ostensibly a five-man mid and not pressure a little higher, as well as having those two dm's move into supporting space occasionally. Instead, they played too cautiously, sitting too deep and close to our backline and not giving us extra bodies to win second balls in the midfield.

Vancouver looked good on occasion. Kobayashi has great vision. I thought Bekker looked like he has a future. If he can mark, I'd have to agree that dropping him next to Julio Cesar and having Silva in front ofthem would make us much more mobile and dangerous .

colman1860
03-02-2013, 10:25 PM
We have been conditioned to the point that 80% of this board is really impressed with a loss. Give your heads a shake, people

Greatest Ripoff
03-02-2013, 10:41 PM
Hall and Dunfield weren't terrible but definitely the weak point. Would have liked to see if Osorio could have been an improvement. When Silva gets fit, both him and Bekker have to start. Also, would like to see JBB get a contract so they aren't forced to start Hall and Dunfield together. I did like that Nelsen made positive changes with his substitutions I just wish he had acted a little sooner.

JavierMartini
03-02-2013, 10:49 PM
dunfield planted spectating not goal side. the pass literally goes a foot goal side of him. they score. chicken with its head cutoff running on a football pitch, should be in a lob laws.

ArmenJBX
03-02-2013, 10:51 PM
I think we'd be okay if we see this:

Stefan Frei;
Richard Eckersley, Danny Califf, Darren O'Dea, Ashtone Morgan;
Julio Cesar, Kyle Bekker, Hogan Ephraim, Luis Silva;
Danny Koevermans, Robert Earnshaw.

tfcleeds
03-02-2013, 10:53 PM
Ya, we lost. The result was the same as last year. That's it though. The way we played wasn't like last year. We didn't play Mariner ball. Anyone who is ready to jump off a bridge based on the result alone didn't watch the game. No, it wasn't all great, but I saw plenty of positives to build on. I thought Vancouver would eviscerate us by at least 3 goals today. They didn't. In fact, we had the run of play in the first half. Consider me pleasantly surprised, based on the fact that some of our players weren't even match-fit.

Yes, it's going to be a long season. There is no doubt about that. But today at least gave me hope we won't be total shit.

Mr. Bigby
03-02-2013, 10:55 PM
We have been conditioned to the point that 80% of this board is really impressed with a loss. Give your heads a shake, people

Not at all. Losing sucks, but if you only see the world in black and white, I suspect your world will be a bleak (and colourless) place. Context is important, and in the context of initial expectations there were bright spots in the loss and at least the promise of good things to come. We will never win every game, but if we show effort, heart, and improvement I will continue to suport my team!

Thomas
03-02-2013, 10:55 PM
I am not "really impressed" with the result...but taking everything into consideration, the result was ok. Consider that a few of our newest assets literally just stepped off of a plane from Europe. With some soon to be joining attacking resources + a bit of time to gel, the future could be brighter.

69Chevy396
03-02-2013, 11:04 PM
I am not "really impressed" with the result...but taking everything into consideration, the result was ok. Consider that a few of our newest assets literally just stepped off of a plane from Europe. With some soon to be joining attacking resources + a bit of time to gel, the future could be brighter.

Vancouver is an average MLS team. In the second half they dominated and showed us just how weak our side is in virtually every aspect of the game. I dont see his club winning away from home any time soon, and it is not just about winning as I read in an earlier post, it is about playing to the level of the competition. As it stands now this is not an MLS caliber team, not even close.

Bluenose13
03-02-2013, 11:05 PM
I think we'd be okay if we see this:

Stefan Frei;
Richard Eckersley, Danny Califf, Darren O'Dea, Ashtone Morgan;
Julio Cesar, Kyle Bekker, Hogan Ephraim, Luis Silva;
Danny Koevermans, Robert Earnshaw.Absolutely.......that lineup wins it's fair share of MLS Games.

Jeff s
03-02-2013, 11:13 PM
Is Cesar injured?

Hall,Duncefield and Lambe needs to be benched. None of them have any kind of quality delivery. I would like to see Cesar and Osario in the mid with Silva. Welshman deserves a start over Lambe. I wasn't all to impressed with Ephraim as well.

And can we seriously stop taking those long free kicks from half field. So incredibly stupid. Gave Whitecaps several dangerous counters.

Nelson needs to put in those subs earlier. We were awful in the second half.

TFCwestcan
03-02-2013, 11:23 PM
Much much better game than most thought it would be, and you know despite injuries, new players, lack of chemistry and rustyness they played better than the last 10 games of last season. I agree with the consensus that Bekker looked pretty good, you could see him get better as the game progress, looking forward to seeing more of Ephraim and Earnshaw. Good riddance Freddy Hall. I was somewhat disappointed in Ecks crossing, it really has to be better. It was hard to assign blame on that goal, you had to say that it was of result of a pretty smooth set of passing plays. There was a touch too many hoof balls but with the lack of chemistry I suppose it was to be expected. Hats of to Nelson, seems to started better than expected. Will look forward to next weeks game.

jazzy
03-02-2013, 11:27 PM

- Scott
you're too negative, the first half was quite a different team. They played as if they actually had a few games under their belt. We didn't have all the players out there we should have but the boys gave it a very good go considering. Enough of the old negativity esp when we only lost because of 1 miscue. I'm proud of my team. The future is bright! Ryan will solidify the defense which relaxes everyone then move through the mid , then forwards. And Frei will return. :grouphug:

jazzy
03-02-2013, 11:34 PM
[QUOTE=Dreadlocks;1562088]Thought we could have got away with a point.

What`s encouraging to me is that what we were lacking is something Silva is capable of bringing. A creative midfield presence.

BTW, I put that goal on Calif. If he steps forward one meter and is inline with O`Dea, Koffie has no space.

Absolutely Cailif should NEVER start!...I'd rather a mistake being made by my rookie and learning that by an out of shape D-man who isn't the future.

tfcleeds
03-02-2013, 11:38 PM
Agreed. One mis-step cost us a goal scored by a USL-level player who I don't rate at all. I'm not worried. Fuck Vancouver. Hope those west coasters choke on their granola tomorrow.

KRO
03-02-2013, 11:39 PM
Considering that this was a team put together at the last minute I think they did very well. Earnie did well till he ran out of gas. Becker is very composed and Ephraim is obviously quality. The back four looked organized and Bendick did nothing wrong. With Cesar and Silva to come in for Hall and probably Dunfield this is a team that can compete.

ag futbol
03-02-2013, 11:40 PM
Thought we were decent, all things considered.

Blame for the goal? I'll go with any one of the guys sitting I front of the backline for that play who were too slow to pick up the runner.

But overall I'm not complaining. Decent progress thus far. More talent required but we'll get there

Gazza
03-02-2013, 11:59 PM
I hope those Vancouver fans choke on their wheat grass shots in their ironic t-shirts.

Redcoe15
03-03-2013, 12:04 AM
I'm not expecting much this season, so all things considered, a good job by the team today.

Shakes McQueen
03-03-2013, 12:31 AM
you're too negative, the first half was quite a different team. They played as if they actually had a few games under their belt. We didn't have all the players out there we should have but the boys gave it a very good go considering. Enough of the old negativity esp when we only lost because of 1 miscue. I'm proud of my team. The future is bright! Ryan will solidify the defense which relaxes everyone then move through the mid , then forwards. And Frei will return. :grouphug:

Again - as I made clear, my perception was based solely on the second half of the game, as that's all I saw. You guys say the first half was much better, and I'll take your word for it.

However, I think "we only lost because of one miscue" is too generous. They were being pressured for about 10 minutes straight, leading up to that goal, and kept cheaply giving Vancouver the ball back by hoofing it up field, letting Vancouver come right back at them again. They looked utterly rudderless, and were playing like a team with a three goal lead, not a team in a 0-0 draw.

It's only the first game of the season, and I acknowledge we were missing some key people. As such, I'm not saying anything more than that second half was terrible to watch.

- Scott

notthesun
03-03-2013, 01:11 AM
Highlights (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vymG_IsBUsE)

Nelsen postgame (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6POuRDM10eI)

Aberdeen FC
03-03-2013, 01:26 AM
Reo Coker changed the game id say. He bossed the midfield and looked like quality.

brad
03-03-2013, 02:08 AM

Some of us are realistic in that we don't expect a team that has just been assembled, has players that aren't fit and still has a bunch of call space open to be competitive. In light of that - we are looking to see if there are signs that we might be once the pieces are in place and have had time to gel.

Not ideal that we are still trying to sort things out - but expecting anymore at this stage is naive.

Cashcleaner
03-03-2013, 02:51 AM
Not quite sure what to say about this match. Both clubs played decidedly mediocre overall, but TFC had a better first half. The stats posted at the half had us edging the Whitecaps out in possession and shots on goal. What bothers me the most is how the inclusion of one player on the Whitecaps (Reo-Coker) really changed the dynamics of the game and we didn't adapt as well as we should have. I really believe we could have etched out a point in Vancouver up until Koffie's goal in the 59th, so I am a little disappointed with the result. Bendick was at least competent in goal. Bekker and Earnshaw looked alright, as well.

HuTor
03-03-2013, 03:22 AM

It's sad, but I have to agree.
It's sad because we got here after 6 seasons of shredded expectations... Now anyone expecting some results point-wise too from most of the games we'll play looks like a cool-aid drinker on these boards.

Again, I can't find any other words to describe the feeling, than just... very sad.

khso11
03-03-2013, 03:39 AM
I have to say, I was pretty impressed with the team considered it's their first game, plus few important players weren't playing (Cesar, Silva etc.). I've never seen TFC played as composed and under controlled ever in the first half. Reo-Coker sub was definately a momentum shift, a completely different control over the midfield for the Shitcaps. I still can't trust Hall playing as a day in day out DM, his vision is below average, and his defensive positioning is also below average (considering how he gave up covering O'Dea's gap on the Shitcaps goal).

Morgan has great potential but he would have to work on his positioning and composure, not saying he's playing bad today but he was probably the most sloppy defender today. Earnshaw is a workhorse in the first half, seeing him up and down the field and the constant pressuring. I like how he kept the Vancouver defenders busy with his "let the opponent make the mistake" method in the first half due to his size. Can't wait to see him in full fitness and form! I just can't imagine how great of a partnership it would be when Koef is back!

Just can't wait for next weeks Home Opener!!!!

notthesun
03-03-2013, 04:36 AM
I resent the idea that just because some of us choose to focus on the positives from today we must be brainwashed. I'm not happy we lost, but I am happy that I was able to identify signs of progress. If anyone watched this game and thought nothing has changed from last year, you probably want TFC to fail out of spite more than you want them to win.

Case in point:

We finished the game with 50.3% possession, 75.9% passing accuracy, 2 shots on target, and 3 shots on target allowed. Let's compare with averages from both Winter and Mariner's first 10 games from last year.

Winter: 48% possession, 72% passing, 4.4 shots for, 5.4 shots against

Mariner: 41% possession, 65% passing, 4.5 shots for, 4 shots against

I think this tells us a lot about where we're at. If we can keep up this higher possession and better passing (especially compared to Mariner) we'll have a fair shot at getting something out of far more games; it also helps with preventing shots against, which also improved (mostly due to better defending overall). As the game made clear, the stats show our biggest concern is creativity going forward as we only fashioned 2 shots on goal. We need obvious work on that front, but if there's any good news it's that Silva was out and Ephraim and Earnshaw will benefit from more time to settle in the team.

I'll say it again. It could very well be a long year. But as long as I can identify progress I'm willing to put up with the growing pains, and I think that's entirely reasonable.

HuTor
03-03-2013, 05:27 AM
@ notthesun

Very good post, but I wouldn't compare a single game statistics with statistics from 10-10 games a la Winter and a la Mariner.
If we would need to compare, correct would be to compare this game's statistic with the statistics from the very first from Winter and the very first from Mariner.

But the point is that one game is just one game, and does not mean much.
Not even two games.
From a statistical standpoint I would say we can see some definitively positive or negative trends after a minimum of 5 games.

Again, don't get me wrong, as I said, you had a very good post. :cheers:

burlington Red
03-03-2013, 07:16 AM
Reo Coker changed the game id say. He bossed the midfield and looked like quality.

Spot on.
Just shows what, at best was an average PL player who was picked from championship can do.Anyone know what wages he is on.

__wowza
03-03-2013, 07:49 AM
I resent the idea that just because some of us choose to focus on the positives from today we must be brainwashed. I'm not happy we lost, but I am happy that I was able to identify signs of progress. If anyone watched this game and thought nothing has changed from last year, you probably want TFC to fail out of spite more than you want them to win.

:iagree:

the same people who chide us for finding positives in a loss are the same people who try and find negatives in a win ("FC dallas was soooooooo out of form when we beat them 3-0 in the champions league!"). is there an antonym for "kool-aid drinker"?

v00d00daddy
03-03-2013, 07:57 AM
Did we have a singular chance to score?

The two Cannon punch outs in the first half is the closest thing to a chance that I can remember.

That doesn't bode well.

burlington Red
03-03-2013, 08:07 AM
Too many people getting carried away with loss. With new players coming in at last minute, some players coming back from injury, some players not fully match fit, playing away from home on a plastic pitch, it wasn't a bad result in the circumstances.1st half I thought we competed, 2nd half they stepped it up. A bit more time for players to gel, get some of our injured players back and possibly 2-3 new players in, we will be okay. Remember that's a pretty decent Vancouver team. Losing isn't ideal but there was enough postitives to take from it for me.

AlanO
03-03-2013, 08:27 AM
A few more thoughts on Ephraim... He wasn't afraid to take on defenders 1v1, made some useful passes/runs and gelled with his teammates fairly quickly. He was up against one of the best RBs in the league, too. Pretty happy with his debut.

Ephraim, Bekker, Lambe and Silva are all soft on defense though. Need a pair of strong defensive CMs on the field to control the middle better than what we saw in the second half yesterday. Cesar should be fine, but would like another DM signing.

DangerRed
03-03-2013, 08:29 AM
TFC comfortably waltzed through the first half with good play, a couple chances and solid defending. It felt like the ball was rarely getting past midfield. Then in the second, we gave a little too much to that one play. Earnshaw flew UK to Van on Friday. You realize what that is, to fly like that, leap however many timezones and play the next day? I predict this board will sing a different tune next weekend.

ensco
03-03-2013, 08:35 AM
It was better than I thought it would be.

Vancouver are a far better team than us, in terms of talent level.

Neither team played well, in truth. Early season passing misfires all over the field. With the exception of the goal, of course, which was a beautifully worked play.

Neither of Ecks/O'Dea looked remotely like they should be paid what they are paid. Exception: there was a beautiful long ball from O'Dea to Earnshaw that led to nothing but caught my eye.

tfc007
03-03-2013, 09:15 AM
Its should of been a draw in my mind but one mistake cost us the game,Overall not to bad for the first game, thumbs up to bekker and bendick.Good to know we have another good keeeper! It will be a tough one against SKC !

ManUtd4ever
03-03-2013, 09:20 AM
I hope we have a healthy squad in place the next time we face the Shitecaps. Hopefully we will get the opportunity in the Canadian Championship.

boban
03-03-2013, 09:41 AM
That's alot to happen for TFC to right the ship. Good teams lose pieces all the time and still continue winning.
While I am sure they will have a run her eor there in course of 34 games, but we're in for the same old results overall.

TFC Tifoso
03-03-2013, 09:54 AM
better than I expected......the defense held well for most of the game, though
Vancouver really turned it on in the 2nd half......Reo-Coker made a big
difference for them.....

but my god I have no clue where the goals are
going to come from this year.....Earnshaw looked like he was on an island all
night, and there was a huge gap between Earnshaw and Bekker and the rest of the
team....those guys had no support....Reggie Lambe made some nice
runs......

if TFC is going to sign a DP, hopefully they sign one to play
where Bekker was last night......that's a big role in the 4-4-1-1.....and
I don't think Bekker has enough to play in that spot yet.......

OgtheDim
03-03-2013, 09:54 AM
Reading through what Nelson said about that game, he wanted those set of guys to figure out what Vancouver changed. When they didn't, he then changed things by taking off Dunfield for a striker. The various moves by Rennie and Nelson gave us more possession.

Rennie made the right move, with the right player.

Nelson thought he still had the tactics right, had patience and wanted to see how that group did.

Hopefully lessons learned all around.

Kaz
03-03-2013, 09:56 AM
I've been thinking about this a little.

So we had a forward and a wide player that just got off the plane. Neither have had lots of minutes in the last few months, and basically had no pre season... so up front there wasn't much there.. still the work ethic by both players was excellent.

At half time Vancouver did something very unusual in MLS and they made a sub coming out the gate in the second half. I did what it was supposed to, caught us off guard gave them 15 minutes of possession and before the boys adapted to it we made a error which won them the game.

Objectively after about the 65 mark we started to play forward and even though they still were hard on us, we controlled much more. More so you could see the boys for long stretches really want to get the ball forward.

We adjusted ourselves, in that we were having trouble getting it through the middle on the ground so we changed our play a little, started hitting long a bit, and playing smart.

Overall Ryan did well in his first game. He isn't playing the Turtle of Preki, and he is missing a few pieces... you put Danny up front and replace Reggie Lamb with a proper winger, get Silva in there with Bekker, and Ceaser in the back and a Dunfield/Hall DM replacement and you have a strong side.

Really two pieces and some depth. Or better yet a DeRo style AM DP (with the ability to pass well) to put Silva and Bekker into a depth position, would be good too.

Detroit_TFC
03-03-2013, 10:17 AM
Wasn't able to watch the match so everyone's comments are very helpful, will watch it online when MLS Live archives it. Our road start record is pretty bad, with the exception of 2009 where we beat an abject KC team. I'd say this game appears to compare favorably to those past efforts.

PopePouri
03-03-2013, 10:46 AM
Not happy with the result but I like Nelsen and it looks like he has a plan which was something we never had with Mariner and Winter. It was always bad luck, or players not listening or referees and sometimes confusion on why things went wrong.

I guess we'll find out how that goes after a few matches but I'm not panicking.

At least....

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lg2git3wxV1qzbri7o1_500.jpg

ensco
03-03-2013, 10:54 AM
^Hey we're not dead last. DCU and Chivas have a worse goal differential.

glaze
03-03-2013, 11:38 AM
TFC were lucky to escape with a 1-0 loss, I think that game could've been 3-0. I was much more upset with Montreal's win in Seattle, that one cost me a pretty big parlay!

bigredone
03-03-2013, 12:10 PM
A few more thoughts on Ephraim... He wasn't afraid to take on defenders 1v1, made some useful passes/runs and gelled with his teammates fairly quickly. He was up against one of the best RBs in the league, too. Pretty happy with his debut.

Ephraim, Bekker, Lambe and Silva are all soft on defense though. Need a pair of strong defensive CMs on the field to control the middle better than what we saw in the second half yesterday. Cesar should be fine, but would like another DM signing.

I wish Ephraim harnessed that potential Ibra. moment in the dying seconds and just went for it.

69Chevy396
03-03-2013, 12:21 PM
I wish Ephraim harnessed that potential Ibra. moment in the dying seconds and just went for it.

I just scanned over the 2013 MLS rosters. It is shocking how the overall talent has risen (on paper at least), but we are still locked in the mindset of a 2007 expansion club. Ephrain would be a bench sitter on every club. I am done again, lost my interest, another crap team. And please stop referring this to a rebuilding year. To rebuild something must have come before, but sadly that is not the case. I predict five wins, tops.

Gazza
03-03-2013, 12:26 PM
We also have a new coach learning on the job. If you haven't tempered expectations this year, i don't know what to say to you. All i got out of yesterday's game is that we managed more positive overall play in parts of that game than we managed all year last year.

Keep in mind that several players who played last night will not be here come the summer.

JuliquE
03-03-2013, 12:26 PM
hahahaha Thanks, guys.. really -- comedy gold, some of these responses. Personally loved the one about Winter never having any plan. xD

Right.. meanwhile, back in real-life:

~ had to rely on a couple rookies, playing their first ever professional game
~ for a fair few players, this was the first significant minutes they've seen in quite some time (limited to no pre-season; out of favour with previous club)
~ missing a few potential starters, to be sure (Ceasar, Silva, etc.)
~ away games are always difficult, especially when it means flying over to the west coast
~ plastic pitch is always tricky, especially for some playing on it the first time (read: not just training)
~ cohesion issues, with the side thrown together last min. (i.e. executing coach's vision; familiarity with the players around you)
~ we know there's considerable leverage to add more quality to the side; management doing their due diligence and not being pressured into recklessly splashing the cash

In the end, we edged them in possession and, near enough, matched them for chances. They had another gear, which, all things considered, it was understandable that we couldn't match them there; important to note that we never gave up and, as someone pointed out, earlier, had the Vancouver support urging the ref. on to blow his whistle, in added time. Not yet mentioned were the couple chances that we spurned, having not made the keeper work and after finding ourselves in threatening positions; one or two of those go in and the same performance would be judged far differently.

I was disappointed with the loss, because you felt that a draw would have been fair.. but, when you look at the big picture, you can see both the improvement already there and the areas where improvement is surely imminent.

Gazza
03-03-2013, 12:27 PM
I just scanned over the 2013 MLS rosters. It is shocking how the overall talent has risen (on paper at least), but we are still locked in the mindset of a 2007 expansion club. Ephrain would be a bench sitter on every club. I am done again, lost my interest, another crap team. And please stop referring this to a rebuilding year. To rebuild something must have come before, but sadly that is not the case. I predict five wins, tops.

You're done? So you're going to miss those five big wins! I pity you.

notthesun
03-03-2013, 12:29 PM
@ notthesun

Very good post, but I wouldn't compare a single game statistics with statistics from 10-10 games a la Winter and a la Mariner.
If we would need to compare, correct would be to compare this game's statistic with the statistics from the very first from Winter and the very first from Mariner.

Not even two games.
From a statistical standpoint I would say we can see some definitively positive or negative trends after a minimum of 5 games.

I agree, absolutely. My point isn't to say we're definitely better than last year, but to show why it seems so many people here were encouraged with a loss. Really, people were encouraged because there *was* a noticeable difference in our play, which I tried to show using the stats.

For all I know we could shit the bed the next three games and this one will go down as a fluke rather than a stepping stone. But then heavy criticism of our play will be warranted. For now, there are a few reasons it seems perfectly reasonable to me for one to be hopeful about our chances in the coming games.

JuliquE
03-03-2013, 12:33 PM
@ notthesun

Not even two games.

By this same logic, mind, people are using the sample size of one game to write this side off as hopeless.

Huyton
03-03-2013, 12:52 PM
I liked Earnshaw's work rate, and his intelligent positioning. Considering he arrived from the UK on Wednesday, was on another plane on Thursday and had a practice on Friday, he did well.

We're going to be doing a fair bit of defending, and he looks like the sort of player who thrives in a counter-attacking situation. I think he'll do quite well forcing, and feeding off, errors made by the opposition.

And being MLS, there will be mistakes made.

bigredone
03-03-2013, 01:38 PM

Anger and die hard support and both fine. Rebuilding IS annoying. You wouldn't be bothered if you did not care so I see some die hard support from you.

For myself though, not being that knowledgeable on football, it is easier to understand the game TFC plays and learn from it than watching the big clubs play with their total football and complex formations. Uraaaah, TFC till I die! Feel the love.:facepalm: hurry back D.K.

Auzzy
03-03-2013, 01:38 PM

Ephraim bench sitter on every other MLS team, that's pretty funny. Interesting to hear you're done, I'll hold you to that, and expect you to be back about 11-12 months from now, no earlier. In the meantime, find some stuff on TV to watch that you can enjoy.

69Chevy396
03-03-2013, 02:32 PM
Ephraim bench sitter on every other MLS team, that's pretty funny. Interesting to hear you're done, I'll hold you to that, and expect you to be back about 11-12 months from now, no earlier. In the meantime, find some stuff on TV to watch that you can enjoy.

My thousands of dollars in season tickets paid my membership into the TFC pessimist fraternity, joined by hundreds, if not thousands. This is a candidate for worst prof soccer club in modern times so enjoy u guys can take solace in the fact that it cannot possibly get worse.

ag futbol
03-03-2013, 02:39 PM
My thousands of dollars in season tickets paid my membership into the TFC pessimist fraternity, joined by hundreds, if not thousands. This is a candidate for worst prof soccer club in modern times so enjoy u guys can take solace in the fact that it cannot possibly get worse.
I totally get the cynicism. This club hasn't done anything to deserve anybody's continued support. That being said, there isn't a quick solution available and that's very much where we're at right now.

I'd go as far to say that if you can't watch TFC with low expectations right now, don't watch. Looks like a few people are pining for a quick turn around, it's not going to happen. Come back for 2014 or the latter half of this year when there's a more foreseeable chance you'll see something you like.

QSIM
03-03-2013, 02:40 PM
Just as an aside.... can Koffie be capped by Canada... I know he has/ working on permanent residency... the kids gonna be a player

ag futbol
03-03-2013, 02:44 PM
Just as an aside.... can Koffie be capped by Canada... I know he has/ working on permanent residency... the kids gonna be a player
He's working on it and apparently he's interested. Part of this coming from Martin Rene on the recent TSN FC podcast. International eligibility in his case is murky because he played Ghana U20, but as we saw with Begovic, there's a way around that.

Zero point awarded for guessing which federation has been sitting on their hands when it comes to this matter.

glaze
03-03-2013, 02:48 PM

What would be needed to bring back the magic of season 1? I agree that people have every right to be pessimistic, but odds are the results wont be there this year. So if we have the mentality of winning and playoffs as the only way to enjoy the games, then there isn't much reason to attend. The club lowered prices, they brought in new management, they are making changes on the field. This team didnt have much of a training camp, Vancouver made the playoffs last year. A loss was pretty much expected last night, and there will be many more. But if we're all going to be pessimistic from game 1 then BMO won't be a very fun place this summer. We stunk in year 1 too, and BMO/TFC was the hottest ticket in town. We have a role in turning this around too.

Marc"2L"
03-03-2013, 03:02 PM

I'll buy them off of you if that's the case and you still have them, which I doubt.

jazzy
03-03-2013, 03:51 PM
Some of us are realistic in that we don't expect a team that has just been assembled, has players that aren't fit and still has a bunch of call space open to be competitive. In light of that - we are looking to see if there are signs that we might be once the pieces are in place and have had time to gel.

Not ideal that we are still trying to sort things out - but expecting anymore at this stage is naive.

^this,....also I'm just tired at being negative all the time concerning a wonderful game,...I really want to see a glass half full , for a change . In regards to an earlier coleman? post ,....life's simply not much fun always shitting where you live......get it? or simply get out more. negativity can become a disease.

jazzy
03-03-2013, 04:16 PM
That's alot to happen for TFC to right the ship. Good teams lose pieces all the time and still continue winning.
While I am sure they will have a run her eor there in course of 34 games, but we're in for the same old results overall.

truth here , .. but I want the youth to be engaged and slowly become TFC and that won't happen in 1 year. Remember....HOPE, is THE main ingredient in being a supporter of any sport I'd say, so if I'm to follow my team I I'd rather it be with a bit of optimism , note I didn't say Naivety, lol.... again though I'd be just dumb to expect such crap from last year to change so quickly this year. Otherwise everyone would do it , there can only be 1 champ. I just wonder why people are so delighed in themselves stating their obvious negatives of the team. (thru-out the posts), NOT, engaging critism, of course, I mean do they know how Mariner for his own glory actually destroyed this team and everything it was attempting to build last year . And I heard from a very close source recently of the FO, all our suspicions were more than accurate, about Mr baggy-shorts. Sorry for being disrespectful to him but he more than earned it.....PS we still have 1 under-performer in the FO,...guess who? Sooo go reds I'll enjoy this year positively, because I'm so happy the seasons started. It ain't ALL about TFC , there are amazing supporters enjoying the game and themselves,...so let's lighten up.

T-boy
03-03-2013, 04:21 PM
Some of the panic in this thread, after ONE game, is just mind-boggling!

Abou Sky
03-03-2013, 04:43 PM

You seriously said that?

Gazza
03-03-2013, 04:46 PM

I find it amusing.

jloome
03-03-2013, 04:59 PM

Agreed. It's year one, all over again, but with the right people (pray!) this time. Still means it'll be next year before we can expect something positive (as with RSL's first year under Kreis, KC's under Vermes etc.) The Fire's expansion-year win aside, you need two preseasons in this league to rebuild a roster top to bottom, because of the wage and calendar constraints.

If we look awful in the first game of NEXT season, people should start getting worried again.

We were okay in the first half because Vancouver were rushing the play. Rennie took Manneh off because he was using his speed to drive into our final third but then being left without support; that not only takes away from their possession, it gives us more time on the ball which means fewer mistakes.

By deliberately slowing down the pace of the game, they were able to dictate flow. Nelsen's mistake, an easy one to make, was in over-respecting Mattocks' speed in the second half when Manneh was off and not pushing the team to press higher. Sitting back made sense in the first half, it didn't in the second (this is purely hindsight, as I thought they sat back too deep at the DMs from the first whistle).

Earnshaw's movement was good, Bekker has poise and is willing to move into space, play give and gos. He and Silva could work really well together.

There's something to be said for playing a 4-5-1 when the pieces fit and moving the team as a two-way unit; the wide players don't have to be primarily attackers, and ours are weak. We could play a short game though the spine, get some creativity near the box:

------------------Bendik-----------------
--Ecks---Califf------------O'Dea----Morgan
----------Russel----------Cesar-----------

-----------Silva--Bekker--Osorio-----------

-------------Earnshaw----------------

Here, Russel and Ecks would pick up the wing and fullback on one side and Cesar and Morgan on the other. Silva, Bekker and Osorio play two ways and drop back to help if the defensive midfield anchors are helping wide. This assumes picking up the pressure just past half field and being able to switch fields to the fullback if the play is becoming too clogged.

By a creative midfield group close to each other, we increase our chances of retaining possession, allowing the team as a unit to move forward, and hopefully win a few second balls. It's not an awful lineup, just a little green.

sashavukelich
03-03-2013, 05:19 PM

hahahaha what a fatalistic bunch.. Dude if you are 'done' after one game I can't even imagine your commitment to other things. what a bunch of BiPolar drama mama's in here.

tfcleeds
03-03-2013, 05:35 PM
I understand the cynicism, and I am just as pessimistic about our chances this year as anyone else. But really, what do people expect? Anyone who follows this team closely understands what this season is about. It's about starting over, and like anything else, that requires patience. I don't know what to say to people who have a "playoffs or bust" mentality. Yes, it's frustrating, but this season is about building a solid base for the future. Blame the previous regime(s) if you will for getting us into this rut, there's not much Payne and Nelsen can do about the fact that those who preceded them screwed up so badly.

As for those who have no interest (or patience) in watching the club this year, well, I do get it, and you are free to spend your hard-earned cash elsewhere. It's not like you are the first to throw in the towel in disgust, as plenty of others have done so previously. As far as Toronto sports is concerned, I hear there should be a competitive club at Rogers Centre this year, and one that has been generating quite a bit of buzz in their off-season so far. But as for me, all my teams pretty much suck, so TFC isn't so much different in that regard. Leeds have been in the wilderness for the last decade, I haven't given up on them, just as I won't give up on this club. Jays haven't made the playoffs in 20 years and the Leafs haven't won a Cup since '67. I say TFC's 6 years of futility (and likely 7) is still a drop in the bucket compared to that, and I'm prepared to wait it out for hopefully better times ahead.

I totally get the fact that people don't want to spend hundreds of $ on a subpar product and I'm not criticizing that. But I wouldn't be much of a supporter if I didn't think/hope better times were ahead, and when we are finally competitive and making the playoffs, the sweeter it will be.

ManUtd4ever
03-03-2013, 05:50 PM
I understand the cynicism, and I am just as pessimistic about our chances this year as anyone else. But really, what do people expect? Anyone who follows this team closely understands what this season is about. It's about starting over, and like anything else, that requires patience. I don't know what to say to people who have a "playoffs or bust" mentality. Yes, it's frustrating, but this season is about building a solid base for the future. Blame the previous regime(s) if you will for getting us into this rut, there's not much Payne and Nelsen can do about the fact that those who preceded them screwed up so badly.

As for those who have no interest (or patience) in watching the club this year, well, I do get it, and you are free to spend your hard-earned cash elsewhere. It's not like you are the first to throw in the towel in disgust, as plenty of others have done so previously. As far as Toronto sports is concerned, I hear there should be a competitive club at Rogers Centre this year, and one that has been generating quite a bit of buzz in their off-season so far. But as for me, all my teams pretty much suck, so TFC isn't so much different in that regard. Leeds have been in the wilderness for the last decade, I haven't given up on them, just as I won't give up on this club. Jays haven't made the playoffs in 20 years and the Leafs haven't won a Cup since '67. I say TFC's 6 years of futility (and likely 7) is still a drop in the bucket compared to that, and I'm prepared to wait it out for hopefully better times ahead.

I totally get the fact that people don't want to spend hundreds of $ on a subpar product and I'm not criticizing that. But I wouldn't be much of a supporter if I didn't think/hope better times were ahead, and when we are finally competitive and making the playoffs, the sweeter it will be.

Well said.

I'll never understand why people come on here questioning why we continue to support our club, and on a supporters site no less.

Oldtimer
03-03-2013, 06:59 PM
Actually, statistically, an average MLS team on average loses about half their away games - zero points.

Home Field advantage is much higher in MLS than in many sports, and higher than in some foreign football leagues.
Those who get overly upset about a single away loss at this point don't have enough perspective (undoubtedly from so many seasons of having a terrible team).

maninb
03-03-2013, 07:07 PM
One basic easy point.....We will NEVER win a game with a starting CM of Hall and Dunfied...simple as that....they are both late game defensive replacements...PERIOD...

Soccerpro
03-03-2013, 07:19 PM
I really like what TFC showed vs. Vancouver. They had a strong spine. I'm hopeful for when our injured midfielders return. a 4-5-1 with Bekker, Julio Cesar and Silva is actually much better than last year in my eyes.

I was starting to get really pessimistic. However, I don't think this season is a throw away. With a strong winger and striker, there's no reason we can't compete.

Jeremy Hall and Terry Dunfield CM was due to injuries, IMO.

backbeat
03-03-2013, 07:28 PM
anyone know the status of Cesar and Silva, when they're due to return?

themodelcitizen
03-03-2013, 08:40 PM
Dunfield is class, even if he's not a hollywood-type attacking player.

Better than expected, as most people have been saying, but the game was lost because of our thin roster. Earnshaw should never have played 85 minutes and we didn't even use all 3 subs, not a surprise though with no attacking talent on the bench.

Initial B
03-03-2013, 10:06 PM
When I first saw the lineup I kept looking in vain for Silva and Cesar, thinking it was a joke. The first 45 minutes gave me hope, and the last 45 minutes was about what I was expecting. If they get better than the 17 points I expect them to get this year, that's improvement in my book. That said, next week will really give us an idea of the talent gap between top and bottom in MLS. I'm not going to say whether this team is better or worse until after I've seen them myself in Montreal.

Abou Sky
03-03-2013, 11:00 PM
I really like what TFC showed vs. Vancouver. They had a strong spine. I'm hopeful for when our injured midfielders return. a 4-5-1 with Bekker, Julio Cesar and Silva is actually much better than last year in my eyes.

I was starting to get really pessimistic. However, I don't think this season is a throw away. With a strong winger and striker, there's no reason we can't compete.

Jeremy Hall... I mean, Jeremy Hall, he shouldn't even be on the bench! Dunfield should be on the bench, or even starting (maybe I am biased as I really like Dunfield) But obviously the squad is thin, a work friend asked if they even had enough players to start a game, my reply was 'barely' which showed.

I am excited to see what 'fully fit' looks like for Earnshaw! More excited to see what the 4/2/3/1 looks like with Earnshaw behind DK (god I hope Danny comes back soon)

Still not expecting playoffs, but good losses are OK by me as long as the boys are trying and never EVER giving up!

jloome
03-03-2013, 11:26 PM

That is the question. If they're starting next Saturday as well I might start getting a wee bit worried, as neither is a two-way player, really. They're both defenders and we need one of the two sides to be able to move up and support possession play, with the other sliding behind him to support if necessary. They don't do that. They just sit in front of the backline and anchor. But you can't win the midfield and offensive zone battles with only four players.

T-boy
03-04-2013, 09:44 AM
Silva and Bekker in midfield could be a tasty combination this season! Vancouver set out to out-mark Bekker. You put both him and Silva on the pitch, then teams aren't going to be able to cover both effective. Both players can pull the strings in midfield.

Gazza
03-04-2013, 09:48 AM
Any injury updates in regards to Cesar and Silva?

ManUtd4ever
03-04-2013, 11:19 AM
Any injury updates in regards to Cesar and Silva?

It's maddening that there isn't any updated information available online regarding the status of our injured players.

trane
03-04-2013, 11:35 AM
I saw bits of the game. But I like what I saw for the most part. The 4-4-1-1 helps them keep shape and stay organized, for the most part, and even when there were brake downs they were no horrific like they have been since day one. Up top number 10, the guy we just brought it, showed promise, I would like to see him played behind a bigger CF, I thing we would get goals. Changes were created but some of the shots were to easy for the keepr. To me it looks like a good step in the right direction. But lets see.

Yohan
03-04-2013, 11:46 AM
I saw bits of the game. But I like what I saw for the most part. The 4-4-1-1 helps them keep shape and stay organized, for the most part, and even when there were brake downs they were no horrific like they have been since day one. Up top number 10, the guy we just brought it, showed promise, I would like to see him played behind a bigger CF, I thing we would get goals. Changes were created but some of the shots were to easy for the keepr. To me it looks like a good step in the right direction. But lets see.
Earnshaw is a poacher, and he likes to play off the shoulder of last defender.

Once he get adjusted to the league more and his teammates, esp where he likes the ball played into the space for him to run onto, I think Earnshaw will do well enough. Certainly encouraging performance, given the circumstance

MKR
03-04-2013, 12:04 PM
I thought TFC looked alright. Better than season openers past especially given that our team was short handed. Reo coker was the difference, Earnshaw looked OK blah bla wooof woof. Nothing to add that hasn't already been said.

i can't believe Vancouver play in that stadium with turf when if you ask me the interim stadium they used a few years ago seemed so much better. BC place just doesn't look that good what with those weird curtains blocking off the upper deck. and that turf looked terrible. The very notion that Vancouver plays on turf is wack. It's vancouver FFS.

PopePouri
03-04-2013, 12:11 PM
DeMerit is out for 6-8 months. Andy O'Brien is 33 and he's playing on poor quality artificial turf. I think they'll be fine going forward but wouldn't be surprised if they concede a heap of goals this season.

ManUtd4ever
03-04-2013, 12:14 PM
DeMerit is out for 6-8 months. Andy O'Brien is 33 and he's playing on poor quality artificial turf. I think they'll be fine going forward but wouldn't be surprised if they concede a heap of goals this season.

Wow, his season lasted all but 5 minutes. Tough break for the Shitecaps, but I won't be shedding any tears for them.

Canary10
03-04-2013, 12:19 PM
That turf is an embarrassment. It looked like dead grass. Why not at least make it the colour of live grass?

ManUtd4ever
03-04-2013, 12:26 PM
That turf is an embarrassment. It looked like dead grass. Why not at least make it the colour of live grass?

Agreed, and most Shitecaps fans think they have the best stadium in the league, LOL.

A gazillion dollars of renovations to BC place and they're left with cheap ass turf. It will become an issue for them moving forward as more of their veterans start going down with premature long term injuries.

I wouldn't hold my breath for too many CMNT games being played there either.

Carts
03-04-2013, 12:26 PM
I thought TFC looked alright. Better than season openers past especially given that our team was short handed. Reo coker was the difference, Earnshaw looked OK blah bla wooof woof. Nothing to add that hasn't already been said.

i can't believe Vancouver play in that stadium with turf when if you ask me the interim stadium they used a few years ago seemed so much better. BC place just doesn't look that good what with those weird curtains blocking off the upper deck. and that turf looked terrible. The very notion that Vancouver plays on turf is wack. It's vancouver FFS.

I could write a post about this game - but it would be exactly the same as this...
Agreed 100% on all points...

Canary10
03-04-2013, 12:27 PM
Agreed, and most Shitecaps fans think they have the best stadium in the league, LOL.

A gazillion dollars of renovations to BC place and they're left with cheap ass turf. It will become an issue for them moving forward as more of their veterans start going down with premature long term injuries.

I wouldn't hold my breath for too many CMNT games being played their either.

Makes me laugh that their fans get mad when they don't get a World Cup qualifying game.

ag futbol
03-04-2013, 12:59 PM
Makes me laugh that their fans get mad when they don't get a World Cup qualifying game.
It would be their first opportunity to see a Canadian playing for the home team *zing!*

Dreadlocks
03-04-2013, 01:08 PM
It would be their first opportunity to see a Canadian playing for the home team *zing!*

:D

love it! lmao

jazzy
03-04-2013, 08:41 PM

bang on..also believe in the input from Ryan, really think he'll drill our 'D' until it's very good which is THE starting point of a strong team.

DoubleUp
03-04-2013, 11:05 PM
Great game!. Liked what I saw, but the pairing of Dunfield and Hall was a sore spot.

I still think we need one or two complete midfielders to be truely competitive.

JonO
03-10-2013, 01:56 PM
One basic easy point.....We will NEVER win a game with a starting CM of Hall and Dunfied...simple as that....they are both late game defensive replacements...PERIOD...
This is why some early season hyperbole makes me laugh... ;)