PDA

View Full Version : How many points for TFC in 2013?

Initial B
02-22-2013, 09:48 AM
Well, we may as well get this thread started. Personally, I only see 3-5 wins myself and a couple of draws if we're lucky. So I'll say 17 points.

WestStandGeoff
02-22-2013, 10:34 AM
I just don't see us being worse than last year... I'm expecting a poor start again, but also hoping that by mid-season things are headed in the right direction to at least be close to a playoff spot at the end of the year.

nfitz
02-22-2013, 11:12 AM
I guess it says a lot that there's 7 categories between 0 and 40, and only 1 categories above 40, given with the 34-game format and 10-team playoffs, the worst team to make the play-offs had 43 points.

Under 30 points is an embarrasment. No team other than Toronto has had less than 28 points. We can still do better than last year, and be a very bad team.

Initial B
02-22-2013, 11:33 AM
nfitz, to get over 40 points, you need at least 10 wins and 10 draws. I simply do not see that happening. We have no strikers until Koevermans gets better and by that point the season will be half-over. We had the worst Goals-Against last year and even if we improve by letting in 10 fewer goals, that will still be worst in the league. This is a writeoff year - the price roll-back was done just so TFC can keep their revenue stream going so they don't lose money. Your hopes are too high. Expect to be embarassed.

Jpexxx
02-22-2013, 11:35 AM
I voted 26-30.

But my opinion could change if they actually bring in some players before the Vancouver match

Ultra & Proud
02-22-2013, 11:39 AM
I say 31-35. Probably start out slow and pick up some draws but we'll probably pick up in the second half when the roster looks more reasonable. Back to the old days crappy totals.

PopePouri
02-22-2013, 11:59 AM
I went 31-35. I doubt that Nelsen will be as tactically inept as Winter so we'll probably get some point for the first couple of games.

JuliquE
02-22-2013, 12:42 PM
I went 31-35. I doubt that Nelsen will be as tactically inept as Winter so we'll probably get some point for the first couple of games.
hahahha Christ alive -- give it a rest.

Wanted to vote for over 40, but I tend to agree with Ultra & Proud, here (unfortunately).

Derko
02-22-2013, 12:58 PM
Don't know,Did not vote, besides I don't want to make a 'Guess' and disappoint myself. I'd hope better than last year, that means improvement.

My list:
Improve, Be competitive, Beat Vancouver, Montreal, and Columbus more than once, BMO being difficult to play at as a visiting team, TFC supporters returning to BMO as they are known: Loud, Proud and Vocal (which in turn reflects on the Pitch). :scarf:

nfitz
02-22-2013, 01:53 PM
nfitz, to get over 40 points, you need at least 10 wins and 10 draws. I simply do not see that happening. We have no strikers until Koevermans gets better and by that point the season will be half-over. We had the worst Goals-Against last year and even if we improve by letting in 10 fewer goals, that will still be worst in the league. This is a writeoff year - the price roll-back was done just so TFC can keep their revenue stream going so they don't lose money. Your hopes are too high. Expect to be embarassed.My hopes are too high? I expect to finish last in the division, and my only hope is that the "fans" don't freak out again this year and start demanding for Payne and Nelsen's firing in July.

Your right ... my hopes are too high!

OgtheDim
02-22-2013, 02:12 PM
Its not the fans complaining I'm worried about; its the guys in the media either with coaching badges and Mariner on speed dial that I expect to start whining, from game 1.

tiberius
02-22-2013, 10:28 PM
36 points - you heard it here first - our team will surprise almost everyone over the course of the year. Payne and Nelsen will be adaptive - unlike the first six effing years...

jloome
02-22-2013, 10:36 PM
36 points - you heard it here first - our team will surprise almost everyone over the course of the year. Payne and Nelsen will be adaptive - unlike the first six effing years...

I shall verge on the slightly more pessimistic side and say 34. I actually have less worry about our midfielders and forwards; we have some talent among the former and they've yet to sign the latter, so I can't be cynical about players I haven't seen.

On the other hand, the defense is b-grade right now. I'm not convinced yet that Califf still has it or that Boss is ready. O'Dea has his "O Dear" days, too.

Derko
02-22-2013, 11:19 PM
I shall verge on the slightly more pessimistic side and say 34. I actually have less worry about our midfielders and forwards; we have some talent among the former and they've yet to sign the latter, so I can't be cynical about players I haven't seen.

On the other hand, the defense is b-grade right now. I'm not convinced yet that Califf still has it or that Boss is ready. O'Dea has his "O Dear" days, too.

Yes the defenders must tighten up and communicate.

Morlesio14
02-23-2013, 12:18 AM
With this lineup I have no confidence this year, voted 21-25. Hopefully my opinion will change

jloome
02-23-2013, 01:09 AM
Yes the defenders must tighten up and communicate.

If we sign two decent wingers, another striker and a versatile forward, I'll up my vote to 38-40 and competing for last playoff spot.

JavierMartini
02-23-2013, 01:32 AM
Anything over 21 seems like the result of Kool-Aid, from what we have seen so far it certainly does not look good

prizby
02-23-2013, 11:43 PM
under 20; just like the # of goals we'll score this year

Abou Sky
02-24-2013, 12:57 AM
Meh, maybe being over optimistic but gave 26-30

I want to see supporters do better and players try harder.

Cashcleaner
02-24-2013, 02:57 AM
I really don't see us doing worst then last year. We went nine games without a win at the start of the season under Winter and I just cannot fathom that sort of disaster striking us for a second time. Hey you guys remember that? Nine games and zero points? Finally beat Philly at home for game ten.

Anyway, I just can't see us repeating that start to the season so I'm gonna take a wild guess here and say we'll pick up between 30-35 points. Not with our current line-up, though. That's if we pick up a half-decent striker and maybe a good wide midfielder or something.

No playoffs, of course. Would be nice, though. I keep hearing people talk about this strange thing called a "post-season" and it sounds pretty cool.

Huyton
02-24-2013, 04:53 AM
Our pre-season this year has been worse than last year. Last year against MLS opposition, we beat Dalls 3-0 and lost to Vancouver 1-0.

This year we lost 1-0 to Columbus, 3-0 to Philly and 1-0 to KC.

I know it's only pre-season, but we didn't even score a goal against MLS teams.

Batman
02-24-2013, 07:28 AM
the right answer is 28

DangerRed
02-24-2013, 08:40 AM
I'm not voting because I have no expectations this year. All I know is I have sweet seats for every game thanks to the price reset. That said, if the squad stays essentially as it is, we're getting fucking demolished.

Canary10
02-24-2013, 10:30 AM
I think the 35 point range is probably realistic. As everyone said, we need a few pieces first. We'll see what comes in the next week.

I think Ryan Nelsen will be a pleasant surprise. I think we'll be far better organized than we were last year and, unlike Mariner, he understands modern football tactics. And, unlike Mariner, he has integrity. I have a feeling he'll be good for us.

ag futbol
02-24-2013, 12:30 PM
I'll go with 35 points. We won't have an ideal roster in place until the summer window opens so I'd expect us to struggle for the early portion of the season and then finish strong.

Brooker
02-24-2013, 02:57 PM
Who voted for that? If we get more than 40 points with this roster, they should build a statue of Nelson at Gate 3.

Brain says mid 20's... Heart says lower 30's...

19Barrett19
02-24-2013, 08:28 PM
Im going to say 35-42

69Chevy396
02-24-2013, 09:29 PM
Im going to say 35-42

Less than 30

[NBF]
02-24-2013, 09:42 PM
Our projected best lineup is this:

-------------------Frei?--------------------
Eckersley---Califf-------O'Dea------Morgan
------------------------------------------
Lambe------Hall--------Cesar------Ephraim?
------------------Silva--------------------
------------------------------------------
------------------Braun?------------------

Fort York Redcoat
02-26-2013, 08:52 AM
Will check back in this thread in a week. Should be fun.

p.s.- as is I don't dispute the predictions thus far.

Petor
02-26-2013, 10:21 AM
I picked >40, I won't be too upset if we get less. Just being very optimistic I guess. :D

Super
02-26-2013, 11:33 AM
I said 21-25 - but that's just based on what I've seen so far. I have a feeling Payne might surprise us in his ability to bring in the RIGHT players for our club.

It's a tough call. I'm hoping for a better season than last, but I just don't see it right now. Fingers crossed for better days!

Ben - D.O.W.
02-26-2013, 11:46 AM
I picked 26-30 mostly because I have no idea where our goals are supposed to come from for the first couple of months of the season. I predict we start with a lot of 0-0 ties and 0-1 losses (I actually don't fear our defending for once) to start the year but I think we're going to be dropping too many points early to be competitive yet again.

Yagbod
02-26-2013, 12:31 PM
For a moment I swore the thread read "How many pints will TFC...." And I was thinking: alot.

jaahuuu
02-26-2013, 01:19 PM
under 20; just like the # of goals we'll score this year
Funny you should mention that. I was just looking at some stats this morning, TFC scored 47 goals last season. The players that scored 20 of those goals are gone, the guy that scored another 9 is gone until June. The players we've brough in scored 3 goals in professional competitions last season, and one of those was in the NASL.

Abou Sky
04-13-2013, 06:06 PM
Bump

Figured it might be a good time to remind people of our expectations

Initial B
04-13-2013, 06:42 PM
Hmmm, at our current pace, TFC should have 34 points at the end of the season. Much better than I expected. However, projections should probably wait until the halfway point. We might see a mid-season swoon.

ryan
04-14-2013, 12:20 PM
Hmmm, at our current pace, TFC should have 34 points at the end of the season. Much better than I expected. However, projections should probably wait until the halfway point. We might see a mid-season swoon.

I dunno if there's reason to believe we have a "swoon" ahead of us. This team competes hard and should only add pieces as the season goes and get better. We've made out not too bad considering the strength of the schedule we've faced so far. Doesn't get any easier with Houston at home next week, but I do look forward to when we start playing teams at the bottom of the table.

WestStandGeoff
04-14-2013, 06:47 PM
I dunno if there's reason to believe we have a "swoon" ahead of us. This team competes hard and should only add pieces as the season goes and get better. We've made out not too bad considering the strength of the schedule we've faced so far. Doesn't get any easier with Houston at home next week, but I do look forward to when we start playing teams at the bottom of the table.

+1 to that - looking at the current table, we've so far played the 1st, 3rd and 4th in the West and the 1st, 3rd and 6th in the East. I'd be happy with our current record if it was against the basement dwellers, let alone the top half of the table.

Canary10
04-15-2013, 09:32 AM
I said mid-30s and that we'd be a lot better organized than last year. That seems about right.

MartinUtd
04-15-2013, 11:28 AM
The options in this poll are shocking. I get that OP didn't expect a lot, but the idea of a poll is to get a read of other peoples opinions, not to project your own on to the masses.

Initial B
04-15-2013, 11:48 AM
To be fair, half the of the current starters on the team weren't even signed at the time I made this poll, which was after the end of Preseason. Things were looking pretty bleak at that point. And the expectation for this year was (is?) that there is no way TFC is making the playoffs, so why bother making too many options showing unrealistic point totals?

Globetrotter
04-15-2013, 12:26 PM
The point race isn't versus other teams, it's versus ourselves.

Points gained: 6
Points squandered in final 15 mins: 4

It's a tight race at the moment.

trane
04-16-2013, 02:07 PM
Who the fuck knows? What I do know that they should be fucking pushing for over 40.

Fort York Redcoat
04-16-2013, 03:06 PM
The options in this poll are shocking. I get that OP didn't expect a lot, but the idea of a poll is to get a read of other peoples opinions, not to project your own on to the masses.

???

And yet you're free to share your projection and didn't.

MartinUtd
04-16-2013, 03:22 PM
???

And yet you're free to share your projection and didn't.

And your being being...?

I voted >40 in the poll, don't really see what you're getting at though.

Fort York Redcoat
04-17-2013, 06:56 AM
And your being being...?

I voted >40 in the poll, don't really see what you're getting at though.

My point was your criticism was vague. I assume you wanted more point options since you chose the highest numbers of points available?

MartinUtd
04-17-2013, 09:27 AM
My point was your criticism was vague. I assume you wanted more point options since you chose the highest numbers of points available?

Yes, sorry I thought I was being more clear on that. I figured only having low expectations available, it skewed the results.

And wow, terrible typo on my part you quoted there. And now it can't be undone lol

Initial B
05-25-2013, 09:31 PM
Okay, it's over a month later and we're now 1/3 through the season. Right now TFC is on track for 20 points this year. To be honest, they're doing better than I expected. I was thinking 4 wins and 7 ties for about 19 points. I'm assuming they'll do better after the summer transfer window, so I'm hoping that 26 points is within the realm of possibility.

I'm really curious to find out if there is a correlation between the level of frustration noted by members of this board and how many points they expected the team to get this year. I'm not particularly panicking since they're at about the level I expected. How about everyone else?

Hamilton_Red
05-25-2013, 11:14 PM
Very sad how optimistic everyone was in this poll. TFC have won less each season since 2009. They need an owner who cares about the sport. They need some real footballing passion. Less marketing and more soccer.

gate7
05-25-2013, 11:36 PM
for all those who say "at least they are better than last year". let me remind that this team has gone 10 games without a win!
so now the monkey is off Winters back for the most games without a win.... congrats to the new management.:smilielol5:

I miss DeRo

v00d00daddy
05-26-2013, 05:41 AM
We're on pace to get 13 more points this year for a total of 20

Ajax TFC
05-26-2013, 06:51 PM
for all those who say "at least they are better than last year". let me remind that this team has gone 10 games without a win!
so now the monkey is off Winters back for the most games without a win.... congrats to the new management.:smilielol5:

I miss DeRo
Actually, Mariner finished last season winless in 14 in MLS play

gate7
05-26-2013, 11:12 PM
i stand corrected. So basically Winter performed better than both Mariner and Nelson....:willy_nilly:

Brooker
05-27-2013, 12:58 AM
i stand corrected. So basically Winter performed better than both Mariner and Nelson....:willy_nilly:

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view3/1509411/mr-bean-the-exam-o.gif

Fort York Redcoat
05-27-2013, 08:24 AM

I miss DeRo

I'm not sure why one would choose to live in the past like this. You're talking about the management that came from where DeRo is now with 2 less points on the season so far.

ManUtd4ever
05-27-2013, 09:57 AM
Not sure about point totals, but I think it's safe to say that we are still the worst the team in the world.

Brooker
05-27-2013, 08:01 PM
Not sure about point totals, but I think it's safe to say that we are still the worst the team in the world.

Please let's not start that ridiculous fad again.

gate7
05-27-2013, 11:14 PM
i cant help myself....but those were better days to remember. (DeRo era) still bitter about him leaving cause "he didn't fit the new style of play and image of the team". Last big name player that we had who actually wanted to play for TFC.:rant:

Im over it now.... F@#% the past.

gate7
05-27-2013, 11:22 PM
back on topic... 16-20 pts

T-boy
05-28-2013, 05:12 PM

Winter STARTED better, but then you simply can't go so far backwards that you lose the first 9 games of the season. Comparing the first games of all the managers doesn't really work.

Every time we "restart", the new coach has to start over with more and more issues and a badly managed squad. The squad that Winter inherited wasn't as bad as the one that Mariner inherited, and in turn the one that Nelson inherited was even worse!

gate7
05-29-2013, 12:07 AM
Winter STARTED better, but then you simply can't go so far backwards that you lose the first 9 games of the season. Comparing the first games of all the managers doesn't really work.

Every time we "restart", the new coach has to start over with more and more issues and a badly managed squad. The squad that Winter inherited wasn't as bad as the one that Mariner inherited, and in turn the one that Nelson inherited was even worse!

so was Winter to blame for coaching faults or for puttng together a poor squad? I cant help but feel some deja vu.. we are obviously missing the
common denominator here

Initial B
07-03-2013, 08:12 PM
Well, TFC is halfway through the season and it looks like the team will end with 26 points. That's still better than I expected when the season started. I fully expected to be last place with 18 points when the season ended, but it looks like we'll end up in 17th place. At least I can take solace that we won't have given up the 2014 #1 draft pick to Vancouver for a player no longer with the team.

Prof
07-05-2013, 10:44 AM
First half of season 2W-8L-7T I predict second half of season we will go 8W-2L-7T to end up with 44 points.

Stouffville_RPB
07-05-2013, 11:19 AM
First half of season 2W-8L-7T I predict second half of season we will go 8W-2L-7T to end up with 44 points.

Nothing I have seen says that we will be able come close to the 2nd half record you have boldly predicted.

TFC plays KC twice, Montreal again and have Columbus (a team we have never seem to perform well against) twice. I predict 3 loses just in those games.

TFC have 9 road games left and at no point in their history have they been able to continuously string together quality performance game after game on the road. They are also coming off a blown 2 goal lead against Montreal so I'm not convinced they can turn BMO into a place they can consistently win at this season.

While the optimism is appreciated logic suggests otherwise.

Initial B
07-05-2013, 12:01 PM
I think the team will be somewhat improved by the time the transfer window closes, but that will probably be offset by the improvement in the other MLS teams. I think 30 points will be achievable.

T-boy
07-05-2013, 01:39 PM

I looked through the fixtures and I'm going to predict 7W, 7L, 3T. That puts us on 37 points.

I think you're a little optimistic in thinking we can go through the rest of the season only losing 2 games.

Initial B
10-26-2013, 09:30 PM
Well, the season's now over and TFC ended up with 29 points. According to the expectations of the poll, I'd say that leaves half of us disappointed, about 1/3 believing the results were as expected, and the rest of us ecstatic that they played better than we thought they would. Any further thoughts and comments?

Yohan
10-26-2013, 09:32 PM
Those dropped points early in the season killed the season right off the bat. I'd hate to think how bad it would have been if not for Caldwell

Phil
10-26-2013, 11:52 PM
I would love for the MLS to allow any team to buy out any amount of contracts per year. It may introduce other issues, but it would end the total crap that we endured for the last 7 years.

__wowza
10-27-2013, 03:25 AM
Those dropped points early in the season killed the season right off the bat. I'd hate to think how bad it would have been if not for Caldwell

i was saying this at joes post match, at the start of the season i added the number of points we would've gotten if we'd kept our defence from leaking goals late (15 minutes left in the match) during the first 10 matches.

overall point total without goals against for that ten game period: 48

Huyton
10-27-2013, 07:22 AM
Last year we were 19th out of 19. This year, there are two teams worse than us.

69Chevy396
10-27-2013, 07:37 AM
Last year we were 19th out of 19. This year, there are two teams worse than us.
When is the parade?

Leedsoronto
10-27-2013, 11:49 AM
i was saying this at joes post match, at the start of the season i added the number of points we would've gotten if we'd kept our defence from leaking goals late (15 minutes left in the match) during the first 10 matches.

overall point total without goals against for that ten game period: 48

This is the problem with football when two teams compete against each other !!!

One of the teams may want to win and do so by scoring goals against us???? Bah if only they would stop doing this then yeh, 48 points would have been achievable.

:@)

MartinUtd
10-27-2013, 12:04 PM
I vote for over 40. I think I was just happy Mariner was gone and failed to notice the rest of the problems.

Huyton
10-27-2013, 12:33 PM
When is the parade?

There was a March prior to the game yesterday.

__wowza
10-27-2013, 01:43 PM
This is the problem with football when two teams compete against each other !!!

One of the teams may want to win and do so by scoring goals against us???? Bah if only they would stop doing this then yeh, 48 points would have been achievable.

:@)

so you completely missed the point of the post?
dropping 17 points in TEN matches, in the same fashion, in a row, is pretty significant.

Leedsoronto
10-27-2013, 01:48 PM
We dropped 17 points because we could not score.
And we still can't score, but 1 goal is sort of ok now as we can defend a bit better now.

IMO all them 90th and 95th min last ditch goals would have been mere consultation goals if we had bagged all our chances in the previous 90 mins in each of them games.

Initial B
10-28-2013, 10:50 AM
I admit I feel vindicated using the points range that I did this year. I'm hoping I'll be able to shift the scale up next year, depending on how off-season transactions go. I can't believe that despite the last 7 years of this crappy circus side-show, I still have hope.

MartinUtd
10-28-2013, 01:27 PM
I admit I feel vindicated using the points range that I did this year. I'm hoping I'll be able to shift the scale up next year, depending on how off-season transactions go. I can't believe that despite the last 7 years of this crappy circus side-show, I still have hope.

That you are. And here I thought you were being a dick about it.

Initial B
10-29-2013, 09:45 AM
That you are. And here I thought you were being a dick about it.
Nah, my wife tells me that all the time, bless her. :D

Fort York Redcoat
10-29-2013, 10:07 AM
There was a March prior to the game yesterday.

Very nice. As was the march.

Huyton
10-29-2013, 11:46 AM
Very nice. As was the march.

I wanted to join the march, but I had to work. Even then, I had to leave early. Fortunately, I was able to convince the guy who normally comes in to do the evening shift to come in a couple of hours early, in exchange for me staying a couple of hours late on Sunday. It made for a very long Sunday, though. Worth it, but a very long day.

Brooker
10-29-2013, 12:10 PM
Only 2 other teams didn't crack 40 points? This whole time I thought 40 was good!

Oh dear...