PDA

View Full Version : How Many TFC Fans Will Show Up in Montreal? Will we set a record for away support?

Alonso
02-21-2013, 07:47 PM
Here's the question: How many fans show up and actually use the ticket in Montreal?

What is the away record for MLS away fan support? Anyone know?

Will TFC fans break the record on March 16, 2013?

I'm going to guess that about 5,000 people will be there on game day, and that about 15,000 tickets will be given to SSH who asked for them.

TFC07
02-21-2013, 07:50 PM
Well we are still waiting for our tickets and there no word when we are going to get them. Plus, some people might go depending if they can get a free bus ride from TFC. So far, TFC haven't told us if we will get a bus ride to the game or not.

khso11
02-21-2013, 08:04 PM
lets bring the panye bitches!!!!

nascarguy
02-21-2013, 08:05 PM
well the record for us is 2000 @ columbus

levyashin
02-21-2013, 08:08 PM
already booked hotel and flight +2

JavierMartini
02-21-2013, 08:30 PM
This could be interesting, I doubt more than 1k will make the trip. Unless TFC steps in with busses, I'd prob try to get on one then.

ag futbol
02-21-2013, 08:46 PM
Well we are still waiting for our tickets and there no word when we are going to get them. Plus, some people might go depending if they can get a free bus ride from TFC. So far, TFC haven't told us if we will get a bus ride to the game or not.
Not sure if I'm recalling this correctly, but from glancing at the TFC twitter feed I saw someone mention a bus raffle. Which made it sound like the club was only going to offer transportation to those lucky enough to get their name drawn out of a hat.

Alonso
02-21-2013, 08:51 PM
Not sure if I'm recalling this correctly, but from glancing at the TFC twitter feed I saw someone mention a bus raffle. Which made it sound like the club was only going to offer transportation to those lucky enough to get their name drawn out of a hat.

Yeah that's right. It was offered to SSH, we were put into a draw to see if we could get on the bus.

They haven't held the draw yet though! They're taking there sweet as time. I signed up for the draw, but bought a bus ticket instead because I wanted to stay the night.

I have a feeling that a lot of people signed up for the raffle and that this is making things hard for the FO. I think they are considering offering a lot more buses then they originally intended. That's my hunch. To say thanks to the fans.

If I win I will look to give my spots to someone here who wants to make the same day trip.

DOMIN8R
02-21-2013, 08:54 PM
It's quite possible that the final number is in the hundreds not thousands.

TFC07
02-21-2013, 08:55 PM
Yeah, I made a mistake putting my name in the draw. If I win, then I will just give my seats to someone else. I am going to be in Montreal, but haven't decided to stay in Montreal or drive back to Toronto after the game.

nfitz
02-21-2013, 09:15 PM
well the record for us is 2000 @ columbusThat might well be the MLS record. I've seen it (incorrectly) reported that 1,500 Portland fans in Seattle last year was the record. How many did we take to Montreal last year?

At the same time, I'd be shocked that there weren't 2,000 Galaxy fans at any of the Chivas-Galaxy games when Chivas was home ... but I suppose that's a different case.

Derko
02-21-2013, 09:25 PM
I put my name in the raffle with every intention of going with my full compliment of 5 season seats.

tfcleeds
02-21-2013, 09:35 PM
I'm guessing it will be around 1000 - still, that's a great haul for an away trip.

prizby
02-21-2013, 11:10 PM
This could be interesting, I doubt more than 1k will make the trip. Unless TFC steps in with busses, I'd prob try to get on one then.

last year we had 1400...so without tfc's freebie, i'd bet we'd do the same; so to say no more than 1k, that's ludacris

Pint
02-21-2013, 11:24 PM
I'm going to say 5kish... we have around 14k SSH who have the option of tickets plus all of the RPB's that have more than one person coming. 5K in my guess, and 8-10 k is my hope

kodiakTFC
02-21-2013, 11:49 PM
Im bringing upwards of 6. This weekend could end of up killing me.

dupont
02-22-2013, 09:53 AM
I'm coming in a group of 4.. I will guess maybe around 1500 - 2000 will do it. It's hard to tell though since last season really sucked a lot of the enthusiasm from the team.

I'm still hyped though! Let's do this!

tfcleeds
02-22-2013, 10:38 AM
There definitely isn't the buzz for this trip as there was for Columbus and we're only 3 weeks away. I mean how many buses are going? While most will drive themselves, there was a convoy of buses for Columbus. The ticket freebie is negligible as the ticket to the game is the cheap part. It will probably be the same as last year.This is what I'm thinking. So far, you have ~120 RPB going, along with family members/friends going along with them, ~60 USec going with people they've invited. Of course, there are still plenty of people who aren't counted in that, but you have to think this constitutes the majority of the hard-core away-game types. Yes, there are still thousands of non-supporter group affiliated SSHs, but how many of them do you think are going to decide to travel to Montreal that weekend? I think the numbers will be similar to last year, hopefully a bit higher, but probably not by much.

SoccMan
02-22-2013, 11:00 AM
I hope I'm wrong but I can't see more than 200 people going to Montreal, there is no buzz for this team, nothing. With the Jays putting together a roster that should not only make the playoffs but most likely make it to the World Series and it looks like the attendance for the Jays games will see a sharp rise too, who knows they might even match the attendance figures they got when they were winning back in the 1990's, they were getting 50,000 a game and we are talking baseball where you play something like what 80 home games not 18 home games you play in the MLS, where TFC struggled to get 17,000 a game last season. The buzz is all Jays right now and add the Leafs who are also playing well and are making a playoff push and TFC is an after thought. Moreover, in terms of the roster which is paper thin with a week to go in the season, there is nothing about this team that creates any buzz, it will be a struggle for this team to get any sort of buzz in this city for the now ,to think that we can get the numbers we got for that Columbus trip I don't think so not even close, I hope I'm wrong.

toronto toronto
02-22-2013, 12:09 PM
Usector alone has close to 200 going.

I hope I'm wrong but I can't see more than 200 people going to Montreal, there is no buzz for this team, nothing. With the Jays putting together a roster that should not only make the playoffs but most likely make it to the World Series and it looks like the attendance for the Jays games will see a sharp rise too, who knows they might even match the attendance figures they got when they were winning back in the 1990's, they were getting 50,000 a game and we are talking baseball where you play something like what 80 home games not 18 home games you play in the MLS, where TFC struggled to get 17,000 a game last season. The buzz is all Jays right now and add the Leafs who are also playing well and are making a playoff push and TFC is an after thought. Moreover, in terms of the roster which is paper thin with a week to go in the season, there is nothing about this team that creates any buzz, it will be a struggle for this team to get any sort of buzz in this city for the now ,to think that we can get the numbers we got for that Columbus trip I don't think so not even close, I hope I'm wrong.

Oldtimer
02-22-2013, 03:51 PM
I hope I'm wrong but I can't see more than 200 people going to Montreal

hahaha

Just got this email from TFC:

Thanks for confirming your attendance to the Toronto FC match in Montreal on March 16th, 2013 (match time 4:00 p.m.).

The response from Season Seat Holders was outstanding and we are poised to break the record for the most travelling TFC supporters in club history!

That means more than 2500 are confirmed, and the answer to the question in this thread title is yes, we will set a record for away support (for TFC, at least).
If we add in non-season ticket-holders going, it will almost certainly be more than 3k.

tiberius
02-22-2013, 10:38 PM
[QUOTE=Alonso;1559801]Here's the question: How many fans show up and actually use the ticket in Montreal?

/QUOTE]

Hmmmm. last year it looked like only 6,000 showed up to some of the games at bmo. Just guessing that transportation, climate, time and costs will discourage even these 6,000 die hards... my vote says 900 Toronto FC fans. A "free" ticket from Anselmi will not motivate too many to blow hundreds of dollars on going to Montreall in March... I think most TFC fans are now hailing from Missouri - the "show me" state.

Code Red
02-22-2013, 10:51 PM
Take this as you wish but according to my account rep, they're expecting 5,000-6,000 supporters to make the trip to Montreal.

Derko
02-22-2013, 11:22 PM
Take this as you wish but according to my account rep, they're expecting 5,000-6,000 supporters to make the trip to Montreal.

Would be more if TFC FO actually had done the bus thing properly.

Rene Kingsriver
02-22-2013, 11:23 PM
There's some real self-hate, pessimism and the typical Portland/Seattle cocksucking on this thread. We took 3000 to Columbus the first trip, 2000 the second, plus 1500 odd to Montreal last season. Portland to Seattle is not even 300 km, we've taken more to double the distance in another bloody country. Yeah we've had a shit team for pretty much the past seven years but there is a latent support for TFC in the GTA that blows any other MLS team out of the water including Seattle. Forget a 5 hour drive to Montreal, if we get to an MLS Cup final in a Western Conference stadium I guarantee we'll have more travelling fans there than any team in MLS history.

tiberius
02-23-2013, 12:21 AM
There's some real self-hate, pessimism and the typical Portland/Seattle cocksucking on this thread...

I've been carded, got an inbox of hate and been banned for a lot less than calling folk cocksuckers - the people are only guessing at numbers - no need to get riled IMHO... I guess the bright side is that at least you didn't call anyone a shitecap fan:)

tiberius
02-23-2013, 12:35 AM
hahaha

Just got this email from TFC:

That means more than 2500 are confirmed, and the answer to the question in this thread title is yes, we will set a record for away support (for TFC, at least).
If we add in non-season ticket-holders going, it will almost certainly be more than 3k.

I have not been following this too closely - so forgive me in advance... has the club chartered 40 buses? If not, how the heck would they have "confirmed" numbers? Saying you will go on a club supplied bus is one thing - going on your own is quite another...

cmonyoureds
02-23-2013, 08:26 PM
A better poll would be

Are You Surprised That TFC has F***ed Up Yet Another Promotional Opportunity And Made Really Big Renewal Promises They Will Struggle To Keep

Yes
No

Really, am I the only one that thinks the "bus lottery" is a result of having a bunch of people saying "yes we're going" and then the beancounters
desperately trying to figure out how to reduce their costs on this?

Red CB Toronto
02-23-2013, 10:21 PM

I would not be surprised if the number of tickets claimed by season ticket holders was in the area of 5-6k. Now the number of tickets claimed and those actually used are two different things.

Cashcleaner
02-24-2013, 03:27 AM
I'm sure that TFC wants us to think that there are throngs of fans climbing over themselves to get in on this trip, but I have my doubts we'll see over a thousand fans at Olypmpic Stadium. As it's been suggested, I'm would most people who were offered a ticket took it, but most have no intention on actually going on the trip.

As much as I would like to see it, I don't think this trip will top the 2 grand or so that went to Columbus.

james
02-24-2013, 03:54 AM
I am pretty sure our 2k+ travelling fans in Columbus is still the record in MLS. Most other clubs can never get more then a few hundred travelling. I don't even think Seattle or Portland have got more then 1k maybe?

I see some people think we are going to have over 2k this time. That will be amazing if we can bring that many to montrea but reality I don't want to get disapointed so i am just going to stick with my original prediction of 1k travelling as I just didn't think that many people seem to care about TFC after last year,there was lots of empty seats at home last year. I also don't see a buz about TFC this year so i don't know where the over 2k+ come from. But guess we will have a better idea in about 2 weeks.

Huyton
02-24-2013, 05:05 AM
If they calculate attendance the same way they do at BMO, then it'll be the largest ever.

FluSH
02-24-2013, 09:52 AM
Columbus will still be our record...

3k of us + Police, State Troopers, paddy wagons, Helicopters and all... Oh yeah and front page coverage on The newspapers.

Derko
02-24-2013, 10:15 AM
A better poll would be

Are You Surprised That TFC has F***ed Up Yet Another Promotional Opportunity And Made Really Big Renewal Promises They Will Struggle To Keep

Yes
No

Really, am I the only one that thinks the "bus lottery" is a result of having a bunch of people saying "yes we're going" and then the beancounters
desperately trying to figure out how to reduce their costs on this?

You are not the only one who feels the same

moralis
02-24-2013, 02:23 PM
Interesting to see Montreal's website saying we could break the road attendance record with the upcoming Montreal trip (2008: Columbus 2400):

http://www.impactmontreal.com/en/news/2013/02/impact-wants-sea-blue-olympic-stadium-toronto-fc

Hope we do. Come On You Reds

Brooker
02-24-2013, 02:44 PM
Do they have a cap on how many tickets we're allowed?

james
02-24-2013, 03:36 PM
Do they have a cap on how many tickets we're allowed?

Don't know, my guess is no. I don't think the Big O is going to be sold out. Someone said on here a week or 2 ago that Montreal so far had only sold 15k tickes for this game.

Eastend
02-24-2013, 03:44 PM
And is that every TFC SSH saying yes to their free ticket? Lol

FluSH
02-24-2013, 08:10 PM
How many TFC buses are exactly going?

Marc"2L"
02-24-2013, 08:33 PM
If somebody said there's only 550 spots I would think probably 10.

Derko
02-24-2013, 08:35 PM
How many TFC buses are exactly going?

Doesn't matter, I didn't get seats on the bus.

FluSH
02-24-2013, 08:35 PM
I would say about 1500 of us Max...

Derko
02-24-2013, 08:37 PM
Is anyone NOT using their TFC same day bus seats, looking for 3, I know it's wishful thinking but, one never knows, :scarf:

Red CB Toronto
02-24-2013, 09:45 PM
Is anyone NOT using their TFC same day bus seats, looking for 3, I know it's wishful thinking but, one never knows, :scarf:

I do not think from the way the email reads that seats on the bus are transferable. That the season ticket holder of record needs to be there.

Derko
02-25-2013, 06:38 AM
I do not think from the way the email reads that seats on the bus are transferable. That the season ticket holder of record needs to be there.
I think you might be right, on that

olo114
02-25-2013, 01:05 PM
well considering TFC is sending 8 buses i could be a good number..

olo114
02-25-2013, 01:09 PM
For those also wondering there is waiting list for the buses, I am number 300 in terms of people they call before me .

Ben - D.O.W.
02-25-2013, 01:13 PM
8 whole buses (say 400 people) out of the 5-6000 people they gave tickets to? Those 1/15 odds of 'winning' the bus lottery look pretty weak right now.

A better poll would be

Amen.

burlington Red
02-25-2013, 07:22 PM
I'd say we would have to be looking at 2000+. I know a lot of people going to both the game and GSP fight that night

rowan
02-26-2013, 01:55 PM
I'll be there + 3 to 5.

Carts
02-26-2013, 02:36 PM
If we win in Vancouver (stop laughing, weird shit happens from time to time), and win at the Dome (get off the floor laughing even weirder shit happens from time to time) some extra people might jump on the bandwagon...

tfcleeds
02-26-2013, 03:04 PM
If we win in Vancouver (stop laughing, weird shit happens from time to time), and win at the Dome (get off the floor laughing even weirder shit happens from time to time) some extra people might jump on the bandwagon...Yeah, weird shit does happen, but Joe Cole has a better chance of winning the Ballon D'or than us winning the first two games...:D

Carts
02-26-2013, 03:12 PM
Yeah, weird shit does happen, but Joe Cole has a better chance of winning the Ballon D'or than us winning the first two games...:D

Knowing my luck, we sign Joe Cole as a DP in June... :facepalm:

Greatest Ripoff
02-26-2013, 03:54 PM
The Joe Cole who stuffed one against spuds yesterday and set two goals against Man United last month?

Jack
02-26-2013, 04:05 PM
I don't care how many are going. The more the merrier, but I am going to sing my throat raw and enjoy supporting my team on the road. Whether there are 50 or 5,000 of us there won't make a difference to what I take with me.

Super
02-26-2013, 04:56 PM
If we win in Vancouver (stop laughing, weird shit happens from time to time), and win at the Dome (get off the floor laughing even weirder shit happens from time to time) some extra people might jump on the bandwagon...

Very true indeed. If we lose BOTH games, then I don't think we'll send more than 1,000. However, having said that, to many people it's also just about going on a road trip with your mates and supporting your team - regardless of results. It's been in the planning for a while for many, so I don't see people abandoning the game over a poor start to the season. But I guess we'll find out later.

Hitcho
02-26-2013, 05:01 PM
If they calculate attendance the same way they do at BMO, then it'll be the largest ever.

Hah! g:D

Alixir
02-26-2013, 07:24 PM
well considering TFC is sending 8 buses i could be a good number.. its not like the FO is poor or anything..they should have got the supporters a whole train.

FluSH
02-26-2013, 07:56 PM
Toronto FC away trip, St.Paddys Day weekend, end of March break, UFC fight, and MTL night life... Why would anyone want to go on a same day bus unless you really have to get back...

Personally - I can't wait for this trip!

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
02-26-2013, 08:06 PM
toronto fc away trip, st.paddys day weekend, end of march break, ufc fight, and mtl night life... Why would anyone want to go on a same day bus unless you really have to get back...

Personally - i can't wait for this trip!

tfc over montreal....gsp over dias.... And the amount of beer drank on the rpb bus equals........." st.paddy's day massacre "

:)

Huyton
03-01-2013, 11:05 AM
I don't care how many are going. The more the merrier, but I am going to sing my throat raw and enjoy supporting my team on the road. Whether there are 50 or 5,000 of us there won't make a difference to what I take with me.

I'm worried about my throat being raw before I even get there, no matter how much coolant I use on it.

Carts
03-01-2013, 11:09 AM
I fear the MRI I have on the 18th...

Even if I don't booze on the way home Sunday (yeah right), the RPB bus/match/night will be a 2-day hangover minimum...

That radioactive shit they pump into me during it to add contrast to the brain pics is bad enough - let alone hungover or still drunk! LOL

:drinking:

Adam
03-06-2013, 06:30 PM
I dont get why they just didnt put all if us in 400 level together and it would have been general admission section. Hopefully it doesnt get too messy now!!

Technorgasm
03-06-2013, 06:45 PM
DO we have any concrete numbers yet?
rpb numbers? or numbers of buses?
TFC FO numbers, or numbers of buses?

facts people, i crave facts!

NORB

Justin10000
03-06-2013, 07:53 PM
The letter that came with my montreal ticket claims the attendance will break records.

james
03-06-2013, 09:55 PM
Its hard to tell how many people are actually going to this game as normally at TFC home games they often announce 20k fans in attendence and really there is more like 14k actually in the stadium. And also the fact that not all TFC fans may actually use there free ticket and just throw it away. They might say we have 4k going but then its really more like 2k. But I hope we do bring close to the amount they seem to be announcing of +4k showing up for this one.

Super
03-07-2013, 11:02 AM
A LOT depends on the result this Saturday. If we lose big, then I think a lot of people will just decide to stay home instead of going to Montreal. However, if we win the game, it'll motivate people to go.

Technorgasm
03-07-2013, 01:23 PM
The letter that came with my montreal ticket claims the attendance will break records.

I just got off the phone with Connor and MArrin.
They say that as a result of all the notices going out to all the STH. . . they have had just over 4,000 responses.

10 buses from TFC are now full.

I believe the previous record was made by us to Columbus. .
or Portland to Seattle.

Carts
03-07-2013, 01:30 PM
DO we have any concrete numbers yet?
rpb numbers? or numbers of buses?
TFC FO numbers, or numbers of buses?

facts people, i crave facts!

NORB

I thought the Norb craved booze & footy...??? :jaw:

james
03-07-2013, 02:24 PM
I just got off the phone with Connor and MArrin.
They say that as a result of all the notices going out to all the STH. . . they have had just over 4,000 responses.

10 buses from TFC are now full.

I believe the previous record was made by us to Columbus. .
or Portland to Seattle.

thats great to here.

Estimate Car time travel on google is:
Portland to Seattle - 2hrs 44mins (278km)
Toronto to Columbus - 6hrs 39 mins (687km)
Toronto to Montreal - 5hr 17mins (504km)

I don't think Portland had as many away fans in Seattle as we did in Columbus but even if they did look how much further we have to travel. We blow everyone out of the water. No teams travel as far aw we do in such big numbers!!

Alonso
03-11-2013, 12:42 AM
I talked to my ticket rep and he said that 5000 tickets have been sold to TFC supporters.

If 80% show up, which is reasonable considering the recent win, we are looking at 4,000 TFC away support!!!!

I hope to God that we have that kind of turnout.

Oldtimer
03-11-2013, 09:17 AM
I don't think Portland had as many away fans in Seattle as we did in Columbus but even if they did look how much further we have to travel. We blow everyone out of the water. No teams travel as far aw we do in such big numbers!!

Imagine the traveling support if we had a real contending team. We really would blow all of the rest of MLS out of the water... it wouldn't even be close.

Carts
03-11-2013, 09:20 AM
Imagine the traveling support if we had a real contending team. We really would blow all of the rest of MLS out of the water... it wouldn't even be close.

Imagine a playoff game vs Montreal...???

The Impact would move it to the Big-O for the sole purpose of cashing in on the thousands and thousands of TFC fans making the trip up...

Oldtimer
03-11-2013, 09:52 AM

The Impact would move it to the Big-O for the sole purpose of cashing in on the thousands and thousands of TFC fans making the trip up...

Something like that could end up being an away game for the Limpact, given the amount of TFC support. :D

Abou Sky
03-11-2013, 11:50 AM

*cough cough* getting ahead of ourselves aren't we? ;)

Technorgasm
03-11-2013, 02:25 PM
Those TFC Fans. .
They'll be back.
and in GREATER NUMBERS.
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQb7jVH7bBdn8FOX4uEEC28xEys1FC3w 9KRR2uzeIASbXP1Wjys

DAYS INN - RUE RENE LEVESQUE = Ground NORB zero.

:flare:

Carts
03-11-2013, 02:26 PM
*cough cough* getting ahead of ourselves aren't we? ;)

I'm a Toronto sports fan - dreams are all I have :(

BuSaPuNk
03-11-2013, 07:43 PM
Those TFC Fans. .
They'll be back.
and in GREATER NUMBERS.
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQb7jVH7bBdn8FOX4uEEC28xEys1FC3w 9KRR2uzeIASbXP1Wjys

DAYS INN - RUE RENE LEVESQUE = Ground NORB zero.

:flare:

I'm staying at the Travellodge on Rene Levesque! Where's the party after the game? LoL

FluSH
03-11-2013, 07:49 PM
I'm gonna try to do a two stick this week...

"This sign is in English - Eat it"
Or
"MTL founded in 1642; First bribe in 1643"

J-Man
03-11-2013, 08:12 PM
Has anyone decided on were the pre-drinking is going to be?

KingBee
03-11-2013, 09:18 PM
Love it....just provactive enough. :)

As an aside, does anyone know what we can/cannot bring into the match? Last year there was a pretty sizable list of Dos/Don'ts posted.

Thanks

Or

Chevy
03-11-2013, 09:22 PM

Or

I think that's all you need. That's an instant classic right there.

Red CB Toronto
03-11-2013, 09:32 PM
Has anyone decided on were the pre-drinking is going to be?

It will be at McLeans on Peel Street just across from Dorchester Square, where we marched from last year up to the subway. I would say anytime after 12 pm, you should start seeing some Red funneling in, but heck come early as you want. TFC supporters have been going there for just about every time when the Reds are in town.

http://www.google.ca/maps/vt/data=Ay5GWBeob_WIPLDYoIWcfVXxvZu9XwJ55OX7Ag,ahKk3a rmTkfFhcStAnwA1_sypnBNW7QiZEehMU6kOvxZn6ncm35IPTD8 yROEct-6tmdPZ1mNsgTKq2emgN__llKkrkxwsOfgXfqndhZY7aBKhcwSl G2KF6SsX367naZi6nzbgQ

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-MFyZYeySSGc/T48cxAuHuVI/AAAAAAATV64/nAPRtuXxkIU/s160/McLean%2527s%2BPub

Yorkshireman
03-11-2013, 09:37 PM
Hi all haven't posted in ages. Welshbeaty and I are gonna be there flight and room booked as well.
already booked hotel and flight +2

kodiakTFC
03-11-2013, 10:08 PM
It will be at McLeans on Peel Street just across from Dorchester Square, where we marched from last year up to the subway. I would say anytime after 12 pm, you should start seeing some Red funneling in, but heck come early as you want. TFC supporters have been going there for just about every time when the Reds are in town.

http://www.google.ca/maps/vt/data=Ay5GWBeob_WIPLDYoIWcfVXxvZu9XwJ55OX7Ag,ahKk3a rmTkfFhcStAnwA1_sypnBNW7QiZEehMU6kOvxZn6ncm35IPTD8 yROEct-6tmdPZ1mNsgTKq2emgN__llKkrkxwsOfgXfqndhZY7aBKhcwSl G2KF6SsX367naZi6nzbgQ

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-MFyZYeySSGc/T48cxAuHuVI/AAAAAAATV64/nAPRtuXxkIU/s160/McLean%2527s%2BPub

Its a good bar but I never understood why we don't go to Station Du Sports when we're in Montreal. 4 Litres pitchers are $20. Think about that. Food is good too.

SmokedPanda
03-11-2013, 10:10 PM
Sports Station isn't near any major hotels that everyone is staying at, plus it's 3 to 4 blocks to the nearest metro station.

Red CB Toronto
03-11-2013, 10:14 PM
Its a good bar but I never understood why we don't go to Station Du Sports when we're in Montreal. 4 Litres pitchers are $20. Think about that. Food is good too.

I think it is because of it being centrally located and a quick walk up to Peel Subway station.

FluSH
03-12-2013, 04:06 AM
I think we should have a backup to McLean's in case it reaches capacity!! What's the closest bar to it?

renda-10
03-12-2013, 07:14 AM

My hotel is walking distance to this pub. Can't Wait!!!

Red CB Toronto
03-12-2013, 07:20 AM
I think we should have a backup to McLean's in case it reaches capacity!! What's the closest bar to it?

Peel Pub is right beside it. does someone who is going in Friday want to book a bunch of tables for the crew at McLeans for say noon-12:20, the number for McLeans is 514-392-7770.

BuSaPuNk
03-12-2013, 08:10 AM
So that's where we're all going before hand where's everyone headed post game? I'm in for Station De Sports I have a friend that works there. But ill go where the party is.

FluSH
03-12-2013, 12:07 PM
So that's where we're all going before hand where's everyone headed post game? I'm in for Station De Sports I have a friend that works there. But ill go where the party is.

We have a group of +50 that will be arriving late... McLean's is post game... Closer to Old MTL where some of our hotels are... Where Is Station De Sports? I want to go to a good place that can accomodate our large numbers...

SmokedPanda
03-12-2013, 12:24 PM
Station De Sports has two locations on Rue Ste Catherine.

The first location is at 2051 Rue Sainte-Catherine Ouest which is 4 blocks from Guy Concordia metro station. The 2nd location is at 862 Rue Stainte-Catherine Est which is one block from Berri Uqam metro station.

The 2nd location by Berri Uqam Metro station is 7 stops to the bigO while the first location by Guy Concordia Metro station is 12 stops to the bigO.

BuSaPuNk
03-12-2013, 12:39 PM
My friend works at the closer one by Berri Uqam. It's closer in terms of subway then the other one. Closer is better I can't see it being that busy even with the UFC on that night. Most of them will be at the event.

I sent her a message to see about capacity and if it will be busy during a UFC night. Not sure if they show the PPV or not. Wouldn't think it would be that packed for it most of the people should be at the event. Ill update when I hear.

SmokedPanda
03-12-2013, 12:52 PM
The Berri Uqam location is closer to the stadium and not busy during the day. Now the question is, are people who are staying in the downtown core at the Hilton, Embassy Suites, Novotel, Marriott, Westin hotels willing to meet up at the Sports Station by Berri? That's 3 to 4 Metro stations from the downtown core.

Getting into any bar this Saturday in MTL will be very difficult. You have the Habs playing at 7pm and that goes until 9:30pm and right after that they will put on the UFC fight. I can verify that Sports Station shows UFC at both locations since that's where i usually go. GSP is fighting at home on Saturday, it's going to be tough finding a bar to accommodate our group after the TFC game.

Yohan
03-12-2013, 10:00 PM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/03/12/how-big-montreal-vs-toronto-new-supporters-record-will-be-set-saturday

this article thinks 4200

BuSaPuNk
03-12-2013, 10:13 PM
So Station Des Sport is apparently going to be packed at 6 for the habs game and not change. Think we're going to have that problem almost everywhere.

TFC1154ever
03-12-2013, 11:22 PM
So 6 of us are coming up with weekend but, i just got my tickets today from TFC FO and all of them are in the nose bleeds. Fucken ridiculous considering i was one of the first people to book my tickets. Do you think the montreal security will care if we come down to the 100's? I know it's GA.

Marc"2L"
03-13-2013, 12:50 AM
So 6 of us are coming up with weekend but, i just got my tickets today from TFC FO and all of them are in the nose bleeds. Fucken ridiculous considering i was one of the first people to book my tickets. Do you think the montreal security will care if we come down to the 100's? I know it's GA.

Arent they all?

flatpicker
03-13-2013, 08:34 AM
Those of you in the upper deck are probably better off. I think the group up there will be significantly larger than those of us in the 100's. Besides, you'll probably have better view.

Nuvinho
03-13-2013, 08:42 AM

I think if you requested larger quantity of tickets, you are in the upper level. I have 8 tickets, and they put us up in the 400 as well.

ryan
03-13-2013, 09:07 AM

Or

That's brilliant.

This would be great too

"Si vous pouvez lire ce signe, vous sucez des balles. "

Translates to, "If you can read this sign, you suck balls"

Greatest Ripoff
03-13-2013, 09:13 AM
I think if you requested larger quantity of tickets, you are in the upper level. I have 8 tickets, and they put us up in the 400 as well.

I got 1 ticket and I am in the upper level. I just think most of the tickets are in the upper level.

tfcleeds
03-13-2013, 09:20 AM
Je me souviens June 18, 2009.

Cashcleaner
03-13-2013, 12:56 PM
I'm sure that TFC wants us to think that there are throngs of fans climbing over themselves to get in on this trip, but I have my doubts we'll see over a thousand fans at Olypmpic Stadium. As it's been suggested, I'm would most people who were offered a ticket took it, but most have no intention on actually going on the trip.

As much as I would like to see it, I don't think this trip will top the 2 grand or so that went to Columbus.

Yeah, so, ummm... disregard this post, because it's now become clear that we're going to have a massive TFC contingent going to Montreal. Not sure if it's going to be record-breaking, but I'm certain we're going to have much more than 2,000 out in Montreal for this match.

DOMIN8R
03-13-2013, 05:24 PM
It's quite possible that the final number is in the hundreds not thousands.

Like Craig. I take my words back. I wildly underestimated the level of interest.

tfcleeds
03-13-2013, 05:51 PM
I still doubt there will actually be 4,200 there as was mentioned in the article. But regardless, we should end up topping our previous record. That is all that matters.

tfcleeds
03-13-2013, 06:57 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldCPDM01nVQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3AbYayegfU

Redcoe15
03-13-2013, 09:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldCPDM01nVQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3AbYayegfU

Riding the Metro to the stadium was a blast. I cracked the ceiling of one of the cars when we were chanting. We need to pump it up some more on Saturday.

Cashcleaner
03-13-2013, 11:56 PM
I still doubt there will actually be 4,200 there as was mentioned in the article. But regardless, we should end up topping our previous record. That is all that matters.

Yeah, 4,200 seems a little high. Not sure if we will top 4,000, but there's no doubt that we're going to surpass the 2,400 we brought to Columbus in 2008.

Ya know, I remember a time when a few people really didn't think there would be much ado about a Toronto/Montreal rivalry in MLS.

GuelphStorm2007
03-14-2013, 02:28 AM
I think there will be probabley be about 2500 to 3000 that will show up in Montreal nontheless my only concern is however many do show up cheer very loud and lets hope for a TFC victory.

Mark in Ottawa
03-17-2013, 08:09 AM
Ok ... I was in the 100 level and couldn't really tell how many TFC fans were up above us in the 400's.
We were packed in pretty tight in 149.

Just how many TFC supporters were there at the "Big Owe"??

TFC07
03-17-2013, 01:01 PM
Ok ... I was in the 100 level and couldn't really tell how many TFC fans were up above us in the 400's.
We were packed in pretty tight in 149.

Just how many TFC supporters were there at the "Big Owe"??
I was in upper deck I would say at least 70% per section was full in the first half, then after that people went to lower level.

ArmenJBX
03-17-2013, 01:23 PM
3200 according to Paul Beirne.

Cashcleaner
03-17-2013, 07:03 PM
^ That sounds about right to me. And I believe the announced match attendance at Olympic Stadium was 38,000+.

james
03-17-2013, 08:32 PM
Riding the Metro to the stadium was a blast. I cracked the ceiling of one of the cars when we were chanting. We need to pump it up some more on Saturday.

The best part was on the Subway after the game and we were jumping around so much that Police were waitting at one of the Subway stations, they kicked all TFC fans off the train and split us up into smaller groups before letting us on seperate trains. That was awsome, so much fun!!

james
03-17-2013, 08:56 PM
this away trip in numbers is going to be hard to beat. I have been to about 15 games in England and the away numbers travelling was usually between 1k-3k. This was the biggest away support i have seen at a game before.

PAOK17
03-17-2013, 09:05 PM
The beautiful part about this away support was that it was for a regular season match. Though much of it had to do with TFC organizing the hype for it. That shouldn't take away from the accomplishment though. Usually, clubs request an X amount of tickets for every away match and they are the ones to distribute the tickets to their own fans. So in a way, it's not abnormal what TFC did with the exception of paying for the tickets that would have probably cost $10 each anyway. Also the 10 buses TFC organized would have only been about 700 fans if they were at capacity anyway (and they weren't - mine was less than half empty!).

Lastly, in Europe, travelling is a lot easier in most games. Some rivals play in the same city. A 6 hour drive will take you across the country in England. This was our nearest rival. Makes you realize how big Canada is and makes the argument as to why it's so difficult to have strong leagues in North America due to the size of the continent.

habstfc
03-18-2013, 12:16 AM
Not even a peep on mls.com about the travelling support.

Cashcleaner
03-18-2013, 12:32 AM
The beautiful part about this away support was that it was for a regular season match. Though much of it had to do with TFC organizing the hype for it. That shouldn't take away from the accomplishment though. Usually, clubs request an X amount of tickets for every away match and they are the ones to distribute the tickets to their own fans. So in a way, it's not abnormal what TFC did with the exception of paying for the tickets that would have probably cost $10 each anyway. Also the 10 buses TFC organized would have only been about 700 fans if they were at capacity anyway (and they weren't - mine was less than half empty!).

Lastly, in Europe, travelling is a lot easier in most games. Some rivals play in the same city. A 6 hour drive will take you across the country in England. This was our nearest rival. Makes you realize how big Canada is and makes the argument as to why it's so difficult to have strong leagues in North America due to the size of the continent.

That's something we do tend to forget. England is roughly the size of Southern Ontario, and the distance between Toronto and Montreal is a little more than that between London and Newcastle in the UK.

Geography is going to be an obstacle for sports leagues in North America, at least until we get some high-speed rail lines going or our domestic airlines stop gouging us like thieves.

Redcoe15
03-18-2013, 04:13 AM
The best part was on the Subway after the game and we were jumping around so much that Police were waitting at one of the Subway stations, they kicked all TFC fans off the train and split us up into smaller groups before letting us on seperate trains. That was awsome, so much fun!!
We were doing that in one of the cars on the way to the stadium Saturday. I jumped so high, I hit my head on the ceiling (of course, I'm a big guy to begin with)

I also cracked the ceiling again, lol. We were that rowdy. g:D

Justin10000
03-18-2013, 07:39 AM
We were doing that in one of the cars on the way to the stadium Saturday. I jumped so high, I hit my head on the ceiling (of course, I'm a big guy to begin with)

Ha! That was pretty sweet! Good times on the Metro!

Super
03-18-2013, 08:20 AM
It was fun to be part of setting a new league record. 3,200. The roof made ALL the difference. Couldn't believe how loud things got. Such a shame we have to call BMO our home - what a dump. Oh well, it is what it is.

Overall the game was really good, I thought. First half was a disappointment, but second half was indeed very encouraging. I left the stadium with a feeling that we'll do okay this season. Pressure is on for the LA game!

Full support behind Payne, Nelsen, and the entire team!

Davenport
03-18-2013, 09:14 AM
this away trip in numbers is going to be hard to beat. I have been to about 15 games in England and the away numbers travelling was usually between 1k-3k. This was the biggest away support i have seen at a game before.
A great away following and maybe not the 3200 bodies that MLSE say, but the most you've ever seen at an away game ?

PAOK17
03-18-2013, 11:27 AM
^^I think it's possible. It's rare in England for a team used to getting about 20,000 per game playing all of a sudden in a 60,000 seat stadium. So one thing that made this possible was the availability of tickets. If this were played in Saputo Stadium, it'd be hard enough for TFC to ask for more than 2,000 and that is really pushing it. Also, due to fan violence and wanting to keep a home atmosphere, teams will limit the number of away supporter tickets they give out.

I will say this however. Last year I went to QPR-Wolves and there were a lot of Wolves fans. Pretty much filled the second deck on behind one of the goals. It was probably around 2000 fans for sure.

ensco
03-18-2013, 11:33 AM
3200 away fans is nothing in the Bundesliga. There are games that get 10,000 or more away fans every year there.

Walms
03-18-2013, 12:40 PM
That was great, every seat was taken up in 149 and we still keept piling in people past security. 3'200 is right about where I thought we'd be (however I could not see the top 2 rows). If anyone has a picture from across the staduim that would be great to see the wall of red

Subway was a shit load of fun to

james
03-18-2013, 02:35 PM
A great away following and maybe not the 3200 bodies that MLSE say, but the most you've ever seen at an away game ?

Ya, Usually in the premiership stadiums never give away more then 3,000 tickets for away fans. Lower leagues often give away less as stadiums are smaller. Some stadiums in premiership however might give 4k-6k to away fans for local derby matches but it all depends on what teams are playing (some derby games can be a high risk due to violence, so due to security they don't want to sell more tickets for away fans).

Sometimes stadiums will leave a bigger section for away fans at FA Cup or Carlng Cup matches if there is demand for them. But i can say i have been to a few Carling Cup games and a FA Cup game and I just do not think there was a big enough demand from away fans to ask for bigger away sections.

Basicly i have seen teams like Chelsea, Portsmouth, Cardiff, Copenhagen bring around 3k fans in a away game. I have seen other teams like Burnley, West Brom, Luton, Watford, Derby bring 1k-2k and seen teams as small as Green Forrest (5th division) bring 30 people, and a sad show of Charalton only bringing maybe 300 fans to Aston Villa park (both teams were in the premiership at the time).

james
03-18-2013, 02:53 PM
Here is some comparison in distance.

Estimate driving distance on Google:

Toronto to Montreal 542km (Our closest neighbour)
Toronto to Columbus 687km (2nd Closest Rival)

London to Newcastle 485km. (London clubs furthest distance to travel is usually to Newcastle)
London to Liverpool 286km
London to Birmingham 165km

Other issue flights cost alot here, Europe often offer very cheap budget flights. I flew from London to Edinburgh return trip for 40pounds ($60 Canadian). You would have to pay alot more then that for flights in Canada.

james
03-18-2013, 03:04 PM
3200 away fans is nothing in the Bundesliga. There are games that get 10,000 or more away fans every year there.

German numbers blow away all other leagues in Europe when it comes to attendnce numbers. England clubs probably bring the 2nd most after Germany, most countries fans only travelling in big numbers to a few games a year(just like we can usually only do 1 big game a year). Even in a place like France usually have a very small section of away fans, only do they come out in big numbers in Champions League or Cup games.

Red CB Toronto
03-18-2013, 03:13 PM
Ya, Usually in the premiership stadiums never give away more then 3,000 tickets for away fans. Lower leagues often give away less as stadiums are smaller. Some stadiums in premiership however might give 4k-6k to away fans for local derby matches but it all depends on what teams are playing (some derby games can be a high risk due to violence, so due to security they don't want to sell more tickets for away fans).

Sometimes stadiums will leave a bigger section for away fans at FA Cup or Carlng Cup matches if there is demand for them. But i can say i have been to a few Carling Cup games and a FA Cup game and I just do not think there was a big enough demand from away fans to ask for bigger away sections.

Basicly i have seen teams like Chelsea, Portsmouth, Cardiff, Copenhagen bring around 3k fans in a away game. I have seen other teams like Burnley, West Brom, Luton, Watford, Derby bring 1k-2k and seen teams as small as Green Forrest (5th division) bring 30 people, and a sad show of Charalton only bringing maybe 300 fans to Aston Villa park (both teams were in the premiership at the time).

When I was at the second leg of the Carling Cup semi-final between Manchester United and Derby County at Old Trafford back in January of 2009, Derby had over 12,000 supporters make the trip. I was told this was largest away support ever at a Man U game, which I think was done as the Man U FO doubted how many local fans would show up. In their previous round match vs. Blackburn they only attracted just 54K out to Old Trafford.

Mark in Ottawa
03-18-2013, 03:26 PM
This was our nearest rival. Makes you realize how big Canada is and makes the argument as to why it's so difficult to have strong leagues in North America due to the size of the continent.
And also why some players are not keen to play in North America.
Every TFC game is an away game for me :( and the four hour drive each way makes it a bit of a slog.

But the 2PM games REALLY work for me. Via train, return same day, is still a bit pricey but better than paying for Hotel, gas for car and personal "wear and tear".

Mark in Ottawa
03-18-2013, 03:38 PM
Also, due to fan violence and wanting to keep a home atmosphere, teams will limit the number of away supporter tickets they give out.
I remember getting a question passed onto MLS Commissioner Don Garber at one of the supporters summits ...
When I asked about traveling fans in general and more specifically about:
- MLS forging corporate partnerships to assist travelers with planning and costs
- MLS setting up a minimum number of tickets allocation system (maybe by % of overall capacity) for visiting supporters

He said then, a few years ago now, that "Until Toronto entered MLS we never had any large number of traveling fans. Now that this is changing it is certainly something that the league must explore further".

I don't know if the league has really done much to address the issue but if the traveling fan keeps pushing the envelope they will have to step up or potentially lose another source of revenue.

It was good to see the TFC FO step up and make the effort to help promote a supporters atmosphere within the league.
I for one applaud them for it.

james
03-18-2013, 04:53 PM
When I was at the second leg of the Carling Cup semi-final between Manchester United and Derby County at Old Trafford back in January of 2009, Derby had over 12,000 supporters make the trip. I was told this was largest away support ever at a Man U game, which I think was done as the Man U FO doubted how many local fans would show up. In their previous round match vs. Blackburn they only attracted just 54K out to Old Trafford.

ya thats why i said FA Cup and Carling cup games sometimes can leave more seats for away fans if there is demand,sometimes they do not exspect the stadium to sell out anyways so they sell bigger sections to away fans. Most premiership games at old trafford they would only leave 3,000 for away fans because they know it will sell out.

Lowndes94
03-18-2013, 08:20 PM

That Metro trip was a great time. You ruined an antique!!

Red CB Toronto
03-20-2013, 08:56 PM
Here are some good supporters pics from last Saturday.

http://d1.yimg.com/sr/img/1/e825955b-1c3a-3314-92f4-863fdad3c569

http://d3.yimg.com/sr/img/1/6beaad8a-10c9-338b-a279-d5fe13f7a31b

Redcoe15
03-20-2013, 10:28 PM
Looks like we all got out just in time. There was over 30 cm of snow that fell on Montreal yesterday.

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/storm_watch_stories3&stormfile=late_season_storm_targets_ON__QC_16_03_2 013?ref=ccbox_weather_category1

Mark in Ottawa
03-21-2013, 08:22 AM
Looks like we all got out just in time. There was over 30 cm of snow that fell on Montreal yesterday.

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/storm_watch_stories3&stormfile=late_season_storm_targets_ON__QC_16_03_2 013?ref=ccbox_weather_category1

I wonder if they will consider postponing the game this weekend over worries the Big Owe's roof might collapse?

Oldtimer
03-21-2013, 08:49 AM
I wonder if they will consider postponing the game this weekend over worries the Big Owe's roof might collapse?

They have time to melt the snow off the roof. The only problem is if the snow falls just before the game.

BuSaPuNk
03-21-2013, 08:50 AM
The new roof has some heated coil system in it I was reading. They only need 24 for the snow to melt off.

tfcleeds
03-21-2013, 08:53 AM
Looks like we all got out just in time. There was over 30 cm of snow that fell on Montreal yesterday.http://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/storm_watch_stories3&stormfile=late_season_storm_targets_ON__QC_16_03_2 013?ref=ccbox_weather_category1Better them than us!

Alonso
03-22-2013, 12:15 AM

Tabernac! That's a lot of snow!

OfficeGuy
03-22-2013, 11:33 AM
new rcord was set....over 3k TFC Fans were there....well done boys!

Carts
03-22-2013, 01:29 PM

What the hell am I doing with my arms in this pic???

Technorgasm
03-22-2013, 01:29 PM
this.

http://youtu.be/U2dJFQg5HJE

james
03-27-2013, 08:45 PM

http://d3.yimg.com/sr/img/1/6beaad8a-10c9-338b-a279-d5fe13f7a31b

should post these in the Multimedia section, there is a Toronto at Montreal thread for pictures.