PDA

View Full Version : Not terribly optimistic...

Abou Sky
02-21-2013, 04:04 PM
Guess I am not the only one?

I am going to have fun this season come what may, I guess having zero expectations (including about not finishing dead last) can be a good thing, if we win six games instead of 5 I will be stoked!

Carts
02-21-2013, 04:10 PM

I am going to have fun this season come what may, I guess having zero expectations (including about not finishing dead last) can be a good thing, if we win six games instead of 5 I will be stoked!

I'd like to see us double our win total...

10-wins... If we do that, I'll see that as 'excellent improvement', that we're heading in the right direction, and hey, we won't go too long without a win...

10-wins, we still end up finishing out of the playoffs, but have a "competitive" season - so we're not "guaranteed win night" for our opponents...

I'd be 'content'...

Petor
02-21-2013, 04:17 PM

What I would like to see this season:
effort, that's pretty well a given,
watching players improve on a personal skill level and on a team skill level,
also watching them stick up, cover for each other.

I don't mind baby steps as long as we are going the right way.

Initial B
02-21-2013, 04:46 PM
The problem is, what happens when morale implodes after an 0-and-4 start, things snowball and we lose to Dallas at home and away in Phily...

Honestly, I look at the schedule and I don't see another "We could beat that team" until May when we play New England, at which point we'll be 0-13. After that, Chivas looks like the next possible win, but then TFC might potentially be 0-20.

I'm sorry, I just can't get my hopes up this year. I'm going to cheer this year on the assumption that this will be our worst year ever. I am just hoping that Payne and Nelson will not be turfed by a panicked MLSE board or by supporters screaming for their heads. If they try to start over, AGAIN, the club will not survive it.

OgtheDim
02-21-2013, 04:55 PM
I am planning on least expecting really really really hard.

TFC_Allez
02-21-2013, 04:56 PM
With each passing day, and with each KP or Fran O'Leary or Ryan Nelsen interview where they say "we're working on signing players, fans will have something in the next week or so", and not seeing anything become of these statements with 2 weeks until First Kick...

I'd say my optimism has taken a bit of a hit.

PopePouri
02-21-2013, 05:06 PM
My bet. Given that they'll be back in TO, you'll see lots of signings next week.

Pigfynn
02-21-2013, 05:14 PM
Everyone calm down. Not a ball kicked in anger yet.

ag futbol
02-21-2013, 05:33 PM
This is all short term. I'd be more concerned if we did things for the sake of appearance that looked good now but screwed the club over long term.

We have a fair amount of resources that haven't been used yet. I'll start to form an opinion when I see how those resources are used and how those players do. There's no magic bullet that is going to fix how messed up this club is in three months.

I could see us doing poorly before the summer window opens but picking things up from there. I think that's going to be what it takes to do it properly. Scouting and diligence can have long lead times, my guess is Payne got here, looked at what TFC had on deck, and was universally horrified. So we're playing catchup right now with other teams and trying to build a front office that doesn't just call Santio Sports for an extra player and then fuckoff to the pub.

West220Side
02-21-2013, 06:06 PM
My realistic expectations for the season aren't very high but they are indeed for this team to finally be inspired, and to play with heart (If only we had a team of Terry Dunfields & Stefan Freis). We're going to need that heart, and a little bit of luck and I would like us to finish either competitive to the playoffs in the end (ie missing it by a few points) or maybe sneaking into a playoff game. What I really would like is for the team to play some attractive football, full of heart, and pride for the badge, to make BMO a fortress, and to bring the fans back into the game. I missed the atmosphere at BMO last year.

Phil
02-21-2013, 06:08 PM
I'd like to see us double our win total...

10-wins... If we do that, I'll see that as 'excellent improvement', that we're heading in the right direction, and hey, we won't go too long without a win...

10-wins, we still end up finishing out of the playoffs, but have a "competitive" season - so we're not "guaranteed win night" for our opponents...

I'd be 'content'...

I had this same conversation in the off season of year one with Koryo....you weren't there either....amazing powers you have!

Redcoe15
02-21-2013, 06:12 PM
It's another season of pressing the reset button for our side. But this time, with Kevin Payne - an experienced MLS administrator - running things, and a restructured ownership group that actually cares about winning and not boardroom politics, I will look forward to seeing the light at the end of the tunnel - and not have it be an oncoming locomotive.

TFC07
02-21-2013, 06:36 PM
This is probably worst team since year one. Hopefully we get some decent signings right now then a major signing or two in the summer.

Chevy
02-21-2013, 06:43 PM

I'm hoping and praying for a few balls kicked in the name of accuracy.

ManUtd4ever
02-21-2013, 07:09 PM
I just want to see the team demonstrate tangible improvement as the season progresses. I have tempered my expectations as far as point totals and playoff contention, but I will measure progress based on how it translates into results on the pitch once Payne has filled out the roster with his player acquisitions.

69Chevy396
02-21-2013, 07:12 PM
I'm hoping and praying for a few balls kicked in the name of accuracy.

Anybody notice todays Whitecap signing? TFC is so far behind the 8 ball that anything more than five wins should be reason for a parade

Richard
02-21-2013, 07:45 PM
Its important to remember when we got Frings/Koevs we "Improved", we also beat Dallas(CCL) which pointed to good things but as we all know completely tanked last year. Im taking any sign of improvement this year with a large grain of salt, other teams are just too far ahead of us.

TFC Cityboy
02-21-2013, 07:45 PM
all I ask for are 2 things
-pride in the shirt
-be less shit

Abou Sky
02-21-2013, 11:44 PM
-pride in the shirt
-be less shit

Yup!

Don't care about anything but effort this year.

barticusz
02-22-2013, 12:41 AM
It hurts to see the Impact and the Caps getting players and us sitting pretty with a squad of trialists.

khso11
02-22-2013, 02:50 AM
It hurts to see the Impact and the Caps getting players and us sitting pretty with a squad of trialists.

dont worry, they'll feel worst when they see us sign even better player(s)

Greatest Ripoff
02-22-2013, 04:45 AM
This is all short term. I'd be more concerned if we did things for the sake of appearance that looked good now but screwed the club over long term.

Exactly, the second half of last season TFC did a lot of short term moves for sake of making that season looked better and it has put the team in a worse position. I just want to see this team make moves for the future. I don`t give a shit as long as there is a plan and you can see improvement.

tfcleeds
02-22-2013, 09:23 AM
No, we aren't exactly going to shoot the lights out this year, but I don't expect us to be worse than last year either (can't get much worse than that, can it?). Let's face it, a lot of the results last year we were just downright unlucky (remember RSL?) and often losing that win or draw in the last 5 mins. of play. Under Nelsen, I fully expect us to be better equipped to close out games better than we did last year, so a few of those draws last year will be wins this year, and a few more of those losses, draws.

Initial B
02-22-2013, 09:35 AM
I'm perfectly calm. That's the thing. I'm not even excited for first kick. I'm just in grin-and-bear it mode and the season hasn't even started. How sad is that?

-pride in the shirt
-be less shit
You'll probably get number 1, you won't get number 2 until probably the end of season.

tfcleeds
02-22-2013, 09:37 AM
Of course, you can probably disregard my above statement if the recent rumours around Frings are true. In that case, we might well be truly f*cked....