PDA

View Full Version : TFC v Philly, Mickey Mouse Cup, Sat Feb 16, 3PM

Oldtimer
02-14-2013, 02:21 PM
TFC v Philly, Mickey Mouse Cup, Sat Feb 16, 3PM

Streamed live online at: http://www.torontofc.ca/live

Let's hope it works this time, and that there will be an archive.

Ajax TFC
02-16-2013, 02:16 PM
Starting XI: Bendik; Eckersley, Agbossoumonde, O'Dea, Russell; Bennett, Hall, Dunfield, Welshman; Silva, T. Morgan.

Ivy
02-16-2013, 02:18 PM
Bendik
ecks,boss, odea, Russell,
Bennett, hall, dunfield, Welshman
Silva, Morgan

Ivy
02-16-2013, 02:19 PM
My prediction, 4-1 Philly

Island Man
02-16-2013, 02:23 PM
A right footed CM playing at LB. Sweet.

Ivy
02-16-2013, 02:25 PM
A right footed CM playing at LB. Sweet.
Look at the positive, at least it's a "T", not an "A" infront of the Morgan at forward.

Petor
02-16-2013, 02:41 PM
I hope we get to somehow keep T Morgan, for someone his height he is coordinated and fleet of foot and you can't teach 6"5'

Jpexxx
02-16-2013, 02:46 PM
I hope we get to somehow keep T Morgan, for someone his height he is coordinated and fleet of foot and you can't teach 6"5'

I hope he signs too.

Wasn't Matt Gold a supplemental pick? He got his shot. May as well keep Morgan around since we are so short up top right now.

bigredone
02-16-2013, 02:48 PM
Sounds like a younger DK. Imagine the duo?!?!

jazzy
02-16-2013, 02:50 PM
Look at the positive, at least it's a "T", not an "A" infront of the Morgan at forward.

loving the hate for your hometown LAD ...what fans do this?

Ajax TFC
02-16-2013, 02:50 PM
I'd gladly have Alex Morgan on the front line :yum:

g:D

bigredone
02-16-2013, 02:51 PM
T and A together.....now c'mon! sounds awesome

Red CB Toronto
02-16-2013, 02:51 PM
Can you feel it, Terry is ready for the Union !!!!https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/482398_10151248629446805_273181541_n.jpg

Ajax TFC
02-16-2013, 02:52 PM
I hope he signs too.

Wasn't Matt Gold a supplemental pick? He got his shot. May as well keep Morgan around since we are so short up top right now.
Agree. He's low risk. He fills the squad and could be good depth. If he doesn't work out, we cut him.

MartinUtd
02-16-2013, 03:07 PM
So who's playing left centre mid? That graphic had Eckersley playing there and LB.

Dkolish3
02-16-2013, 03:14 PM
They scored bad defence

OgtheDim
02-16-2013, 03:17 PM
Conor Casey looks a little stout.

TFCwestcan
02-16-2013, 03:29 PM
Hall with a chance, ugh. I hope he is a backup not a starter this year.

ag futbol
02-16-2013, 03:36 PM
Ok, I know we to get new players before we start judging but we should stop messing around here.

First, get rid of all the trialists who realistically won't be making the team. I don't know why we need to evaluate a few of these guys any longer. Clearly they don't have what it takes, the gap is too large.

Second, start playing something close to a first choice lineup.

SirBobSaget
02-16-2013, 03:41 PM
Maybe if Bennett is 19 he is signed as a development project but at 24 theres not much there.

OgtheDim
02-16-2013, 03:41 PM
:drinking:helps but doesn't make it that much better to watch.

Dub Narcotic
02-16-2013, 03:43 PM
Bennett is quite disappointing. The only way he makes it is as a stopgap until someone better comes in.

SirBobSaget
02-16-2013, 03:43 PM
Hall with a chance, ugh. I hope he is a backup not a starter this year.

I think it was Morgan even though commentator said Hall.
Hall is hiding in the midfield, trying to stay out of the way of the game.

OgtheDim
02-16-2013, 03:45 PM
So if it be boss and odea in the CD's, they are going to need somebody in the DM to help out.

Dunfield ain't it.

ag futbol
02-16-2013, 03:47 PM
We need a holding mid who can actually play off the backline and pick up the ball. Dunfield and Hall have terrible vision and neither pop up in good positions enough. It concerns me that either of these players would be considered for anything above a substitute role.

2-0 and in every way it's deserved

Kaz
02-16-2013, 03:51 PM
I can't watch this any more... if there aren't some signings the help keep the play moving forward soon this team is going to have a worse record then last year.

Ivy
02-16-2013, 03:54 PM
My prediction, 4-1 Philly
Right on track lads, right on track...

Benficachop20
02-16-2013, 03:57 PM
won't go far if Hall and Duncefield are regular starters in the middle of the field. Offers us little defensively and offensively.

Auzzy
02-16-2013, 03:58 PM
Wow that was rubbish. Philly is not a good team. TFC actually looked pretty decent for about 5 minutes, then they completely forgot what to do (and Philly adjusted). No plan for moving the ball forward (it's definitely not only a problem of missing strikers), and they're not defending well today either.

ag futbol
02-16-2013, 04:00 PM
I can't watch this any more... if there aren't some signings the help keep the play moving forward soon this team is going to have a worse record then last year.
I really don't care if we're better than last year. I can buy into having a new direction and it taking time to come to fruition.

That being said, I'm looking for some tangible sign we are improving our roster / system for the long run and that we've made progress since draft day. Good individual performance or decent shape would be a nice sign. It's early, but neither has really taken root as of yet.

The sooner Hall and Dunfield are sitting on the bench the better.

Wow that was rubbish. Philly is not a good team.
Agreed that's making it sort of scary. I watched a few other clubs recently and their play is on an entirely different level. Phily is probably going to be favorites (along with us, CHV and NER) to finish at the bottom of the league.

Connon_1991
02-16-2013, 04:07 PM
we need someone who can take decent free kicks.. Dunfield isn't cutting it for me

Jpexxx
02-16-2013, 04:07 PM
we need someone who can take decent free kicks.. Dunfield isn't cutting it for me

Frings or Bekker

Connon_1991
02-16-2013, 04:20 PM
i am not to sure what to say... I guess we have a few players who are trying out so were not playing our full strength team.. The Union arent that great but there looking sharper than TFC

Benficachop20
02-16-2013, 04:23 PM
gets a good chance, shot is blocked, dunfield gets the ball and sends a poor ball out wide. ffs get this garbage out of here, hall aswell.

AdamAM
02-16-2013, 04:24 PM
Welshman looks good. I'm excited to see how Welshman, Bekker, and Silva will grow together this season. Could be a deadly trio, with Welshmans pace, Silvas vision and Bekkers shooting.

Red CB Toronto
02-16-2013, 04:28 PM
Where have the Reds gone?

Connon_1991
02-16-2013, 04:29 PM
the first team Regulars have been very poor... Silva, Dunfield, O dea, Hall and Ecks (prob been the best out of all them)...... not impressed at all

Dub Narcotic
02-16-2013, 04:34 PM
So, Califf may not be starting, eh. Also, the team basically traded Welshman for Ryan Johson, which is looking increasingly terrible.

__wowza
02-16-2013, 04:40 PM
i was floating in and out of this game whilst making banana foster bread.

someone sum it up in a dozen words or less.

Ajax TFC
02-16-2013, 04:45 PM
Also, the team basically traded Welshman for Ryan Johson, which is looking increasingly terrible.
Not true. They traded Johnson for Kyle Bekker, and Andrew Farrell for Welshman and a whackload of Allocation.
But in any case, a Welshman vs Johnson comparison after a couple of preseason games is ridiculous. There were many games last year when Johnson looked like the worst striker the world has ever seen.

Super
02-16-2013, 04:58 PM
What a messy performance by TFC. I'm not encouraged, impressed, or happy with what I'm seeing so far. I understand that it's very early still, and that we're watching pre-season friendlies. But Philly looked far more prepared for the season that's only 2 weeks away. Us, well, we just looked like shit.

2 weeks to go.

ag futbol
02-16-2013, 04:59 PM
someone sum it up in a dozen words or less.
We look like a mid-table USL team

iy12l
02-16-2013, 05:00 PM
Signing Dunfield is one of the worst decisions TFC ever made. The quicker we get rid of him the better.

lobo
02-16-2013, 05:02 PM
that game was hard to watch

Connon_1991
02-16-2013, 05:02 PM
no positives from that game......

KGH
02-16-2013, 05:03 PM
If we don't sign anyone between now and the start of the season I think we'll challenge our losing streak.

Get used to watching games with those kind of finishing scores.

cochrdoc
02-16-2013, 05:04 PM
When are the new players coming.I thought Russel looked steady and could be a good player for us.Time to send Bennett and Morgan home.Don`t make enough of an impact.I thought bourget looked okey with his limited minutes.Hope he gets more of a look.Can we release Weideman?I do not know how after 6 years a team can have such a thin roster.Alot of these players struggle in this league.

Joe Kool
02-16-2013, 05:13 PM
Not really any sign of optimism with that game. Even with preseason you should see some glimmer if there is any to be found. I will reserve judgement until the start of the season when our regular lineup starts the season. If they start off the season the same way they ended I won't be spending my time, money and effort going to Montreal even with a free ticket from TFC. Trying to not be too pessimistic just yet but difficult given our lack of winning history.

Ajax TFC
02-16-2013, 05:27 PM
I do not know how after 6 years a team can have such a thin roster. A lot of these players struggle in this league.
the "how it happened" is easy to explain. We sign average and below average players to above average salaries, or salaries above what they're worth, and release average players who make below average money "to make space" rather than releasing those who make more than their worth. Ex: releasing Soolsma, Avila, Burgos, Williams, and Plata, while holding onto Hall, Weideman, Eckersley, and many more in the past.

The "why" is also easy to explain: Years of incompetence

tfc2008
02-16-2013, 05:30 PM
that game was hard to watch

And season didn't started yet lol.
with a group like this the started dont gone be 0-9 but 0-12 started.

jloome
02-16-2013, 05:31 PM
Not really any sign of optimism with that game. Even with preseason you should see some glimmer if there is any to be found. I will reserve judgement until the start of the season when our regular lineup starts the season. If they start off the season the same way they ended I won't be spending my time, money and effort going to Montreal even with a free ticket from TFC. Trying to not be too pessimistic just yet but difficult given our lack of winning history.

I'm more optimistic. Obviously we still have a very short roster, and I dont' think they're out there looking for more depth. On top of that, the players we'd expect to contribute down the road are starting to round in, Bekker looked decent, Welshman looked ok, T. Morgan has looked decent all camp.

We just need the final three or four puzzle pieces to be reasonably competitive, at least. Who expects Jeremy Hall and Terry Dunfield to be our starting central mid duo (and I say that even though Dunfield has been Ok during preseason)? Osorio and Morgan are revelations, Central defenders' mistakes have been decreasing (although that first goal today was a doozy).

I don't expect us to compete for the playoffs this year, but as a rebuilding year, it's a decent start.

Having said that, today was bleah. I got the serious feeling they'd been told to lay off any heavy pressure or tackles; our roster is so thin right now anyway they can't risk anyone in a preaseason game.

Here's my optimistic outlook: Payne lines up two of the Hondurans (preferably A. Lopez) and Nelsen comes back from the UK with a new DP or two who can bang in goals.

Connon_1991
02-16-2013, 05:37 PM
Signing Dunfield is one of the worst decisions TFC ever made. The quicker we get rid of him the better.

Completely agree with you. We need to get rid of him ASAP... Bekker looks Decent

ManUtd4ever
02-16-2013, 05:45 PM
Why do people put any stock in these games?

The eventual starting lineup during the regular season is not going to resemble the lineup that shit the bed today.

Pre-season results mean absolutely nothing. Last year, we looked very solid in the pre-season and proceeded to set a MLS record for the worst start to a regular season.

ag futbol
02-16-2013, 06:01 PM
Why do people put any stock in these games?

The eventual starting lineup during the regular season is not going to resemble the lineup that shit the bed today.

Pre-season results mean absolutely nothing. Last year, we looked very solid in the pre-season and proceeded to set a MLS record for the worst start to a regular season.
Well agreed the results mean nothing but overall you expect to see something in the course of a game. There just wasn't anything at all to say about this one, hence the disappointment.

No need to extrapolate though and assume we're doomed

Jpexxx
02-16-2013, 06:28 PM
Frei
Ecks-Califf-O'Dea-Morgan
Frings- Cesar
Silva
Bekker Weshman
Braun

Replace - Welshman and Bekker with the wide players O'Leary mentions here: Kurtis Larson ‏@KurtLarSUN (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN) Fran O'Leary told reporters here the club expects to sign at least a few outside players prior to March 2. #TFCLive (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TFCLive&src=hash)

Add a more capable stiker that pushes Braun to the bench (possibly what Nelson is up to right now).

Not a championship team by any means, or even a strong contender of play offs... But a much improved team from last season (IF they do in fact add 2 wingers and a striker)

cochrdoc
02-16-2013, 09:30 PM
I think we buy Frings out and sign Russel at a reduced salary and play Cesar and Russel at Def mid spots.I wish we could see Welshman up front as a striker in an exhibition game.Both bennett and him have played out of postion.Russel looked okey as a leftback who is listed as a cm and rb.

OgtheDim
02-16-2013, 09:41 PM
Not very entertaining.......needed that Carlsberg.

Happy there were no injuries.

Watching the O'Leary video and it seems obvious this was a lost cause game from the get go. Big thing is the emphasis on learning from it, which should be expected from a college coach, and our research wonk of a coach. Nice to hear.

And, this is not the team we will see in 3 weeks, or likely in 3 months.

jloome
02-17-2013, 12:59 AM
I think we buy Frings out and sign Russel at a reduced salary and play Cesar and Russel at Def mid spots.I wish we could see Welshman up front as a striker in an exhibition game.Both bennett and him have played out of postion.Russel looked okey as a leftback who is listed as a cm and rb.

So many teams are playing with wingers now -- proper wide forwards -- that I wouldn't expect to see Welshman in many other positions. If we play a 451/433 variant, he'll probably play wide, but as a winger, not a mid or wide mid.

T-boy
02-17-2013, 09:10 AM
I'm not worried by this result. Pre-season is all about finding out the deficiencies of a team. Nelson isn't going to learn anything at all if we go and win all preseason games. A heavy loss is really what we need for Nelson to learn a lot. I've seen too many teams have a fantastic preseason and then go into the real games and look awful. Preseason can give you a real false sense sometimes.

tfc007
02-17-2013, 09:58 AM
I am not expecting TFC to do anything this year,Ive been down this road too many times and just going to sit back and see how they do this year, maybe they will suprise me. I hope!

Connon_1991
02-17-2013, 12:01 PM
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8527/8481765359_a2a32a038d.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/93326154@N06/8481765359/) Screen shot 2013-02-17 at 11.41.37 AM (http://www.flickr.com/photos/93326154@N06/8481765359/) by liamconnon (http://www.flickr.com/people/93326154@N06/), on Flickr

tiberius
02-17-2013, 02:27 PM
I'm more optimistic. Obviously we still have a very short roster, and I dont' think they're out there looking for more depth. On top of that, the players we'd expect to contribute down the road are starting to round in, Bekker looked decent, Welshman looked ok, T. Morgan has looked decent all camp.

We just need the final three or four puzzle pieces to be reasonably competitive, at least. Who expects Jeremy Hall and Terry Dunfield to be our starting central mid duo...

I too am optimistic - These first 1 1/2 games have been very hard to watch but nobody should have a cow over these pre-season games, nor the first 8-10 regular season games. Payne's been here a couple of months and Nelson a couple of weeks... It makes sense they are going to play Hall, Dunfield, Weedman, Bennett etc to get their full measure - hopefully the result is that several go packing and Dunfield gets some quality bench time. Farting around in practice isn't going to give the staff the full picture of a player - better to measure twice and cut once by giving them playing time... They got the measure of Mariner pretty quick - look what happened to him... I have faith that they can also evaluate the talent on the field. Realistically we need to wait to May or June to see a settled roster, how the team gels and how fast Nelson can adjust to coaching life... In the mean time - keep the faith! Anselmi is gone, Mariner is gone, we have an experienced president with autonomy and season 1 pricing... A lot of good things have happened in the past 3 months - more than anybody hoped for or predicted!

JuliquE
02-17-2013, 03:11 PM
I too am optimistic - These first 1 1/2 games have been very hard to watch but nobody should have a cow over these pre-season games, nor the first 8-10 regular season games. Payne's been here a couple of months and Nelson a couple of weeks... It makes sense they are going to play Hall, Dunfield, Weedman, Bennett etc to get their full measure - hopefully the result is that several go packing and Dunfield gets some quality bench time. Farting around in practice isn't going to give the staff the full picture of a player - better to measure twice and cut once by giving them playing time... They got the measure of Mariner pretty quick - look what happened to him... I have faith that they can also evaluate the talent on the field. Realistically we need to wait to May or June to see a settled roster, how the team gels and how fast Nelson can adjust to coaching life... In the mean time - keep the faith! Anselmi is gone, Mariner is gone, we have an experienced president with autonomy and season 1 pricing... A lot of good things have happened in the past 3 months - more than anybody hoped for or predicted!
Wow -- this!

Derko
02-17-2013, 03:53 PM
Not true. They traded Johnson for Kyle Bekker, and Andrew Farrell for Welshman and a whackload of Allocation.
But in any case, a Welshman vs Johnson comparison after a couple of preseason games is ridiculous. There were many games last year when Johnson looked like the worst striker the world has ever seen.

I agree with this, besides Johnson whined an awful lot. my opinion

Alonso
02-17-2013, 05:37 PM
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8527/8481765359_a2a32a038d.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/93326154@N06/8481765359/) Screen shot 2013-02-17 at 11.41.37 AM (http://www.flickr.com/photos/93326154@N06/8481765359/) by liamconnon (http://www.flickr.com/people/93326154@N06/), on Flickr

This is so out of line it boggles the mind.

The last thing out of all the criticisms that are laid at his feet is out of shape, unprofessional, or someone who is not 100% fit for action at all times.

This man is a workhorse and this is slapping him in the face for what he does best.

Not to mention that in this picture the man is showing some pride and fight... who can argue with that?!?

__wowza
02-17-2013, 08:10 PM

The last thing out of all the criticisms that are laid at his feet is out of shape, unprofessional, or someone who is not 100% fit for action at all times.

This man is a workhorse and this is slapping him in the face for what he does best.

Not to mention that in this picture the man is showing some pride and fight... who can argue with that?!?

well said.

tiberius
02-17-2013, 09:03 PM

I really do not understand - he is emulating his mentor - he is giving the "Mariner salute" that is reserved for all Toronto FC fans - wtf is wrong with that - jeez - he may be known for his 6 foot passes backwards - but man - way out of line....

ps I like the game of boggle too... :rolleyes:

jloome
02-17-2013, 09:48 PM
I really do not understand - he is emulating his mentor - he is giving the "Mariner salute" that is reserved for all Toronto FC fans - wtf is wrong with that - jeez - he may be known for his 6 foot passes backwards - but man - way out of line....

ps I like the game of boggle too... :rolleyes:

Nah, Dunfield is a hard-working team guy; he's not a great footballer but he gives his all and his preseason has been pretty decent compared to some of the team.

tiberius
02-17-2013, 10:19 PM
Nah, Dunfield is a hard-working team guy; he's not a great footballer but he gives his all and his preseason has been pretty decent compared to some of the team.

I don't mind the workin' man, but he is not the second coming... he works hard, is probably overpaid, but is a level up from Hardin and Gargan - but that is it... hard to get worked up about...

jloome
02-17-2013, 10:33 PM
I don't mind the workin' man, but he is not the second coming... he works hard, is probably overpaid, but is a level up from Hardin and Gargan - but that is it... hard to get worked up about...

Meanwhile, Ryan Johnson had a hat-trick for Portland today and Avila scored the winner for Chivas.

Connon_1991
02-17-2013, 11:44 PM

It was a little bit of Banter clearly you took it the wrong way... He may be a "workhorse"... But he isn't a football player simple as that. The quicker TFC get rid of him the better.

T-boy
02-18-2013, 10:53 AM
It was a little bit of Banter clearly you took it the wrong way... He may be a "workhorse"... But he isn't a football player simple as that. The quicker TFC get rid of him the better.

In football terms, and certainly in terms of TFC, Dunfield is hardly the world's worst footballer! We've had MANY players worse than him, by far! And we've currently got several players in the squad worse than him too! I can see why Dunfield isn't a "fan favourite" as he isn't a flair type of player at all, but he doesn't deserve to be the number one hated player in the squad right now! There were times last season when Dunfield looked much better than Frings, and I don't see Frings getting hounded on this forum! Dunfield is cheap, a domestic, and a very useful squad player! If he can be used to give people like Cesar and Frings a rest this season, then he's going to be extremely useful!

Connon_1991
02-18-2013, 11:53 AM
Come on guys you must be having a laugh, defending Dumbfield! One poster said he is a hard working but not a great footballer some one else compares him to Frings .Are our standards so low that a player who is at best an average USL player is worth a spot on this team. He struts around the field taking all the free kicks ,pens ,throw ins like he is David Beckham. Vancouver knew how good he was and offloaded him , he played at the lower leagues in England ,Frings in contrast may be getting older but he played at the top level and played for one of the best national teams in the world. Terry was Mariners boy and his days are numbered , it does not matter that he is Canadian , he does not matter how much he costs or he plays with passion ( all that is smoke and mirrors to cover his lack of talent) if this franchise is happy with a player who is this technically poor we are doomed. Time that this type of bang average player is shown the door and we recruit players that can play more than a 6 yard pass backward. And it time the fans DEMANDED more quality and STOP drinking the Kool aid that the management feed them. I hope indeed that Ryan Nielsen shows Dumfield the door or at the very least parks his arse on the bench for the season. Dumbfield is no way good enough, hard working doesn't cut it plenty players are hard working . If the fans don't demand a raising of standards we will forever be average.

jloome
02-18-2013, 11:57 AM
Come on guys you must be having a laugh, defending Dumbfield! One poster said he is a hard working but not a great footballer some one else compares him to Frings .Are our standards so low that a player who is at best an average USL player is worth a spot on this team. He struts around the field taking all the free kicks ,pens ,throw ins like he is David Beckham. Vancouver knew how good he was and offloaded him , he played at the lower leagues in England ,Frings in contrast may be getting older but he played at the top level and played for one of the best national teams in the world. Terry was Mariners boy and his days are numbered , it does not matter that he is Canadian , he does not matter how much he costs or he plays with passion ( all that is smoke and mirrors to cover his lack of talent) if this franchise is happy with a player who is this technically poor we are doomed. Time that this type of bang average player is shown the door and we recruit players that can play more than a 6 yard pass backward. And it time the fans DEMANDED more quality and STOP drinking the Kool aid that the management feed them. I hope indeed that Ryan Nielsen shows Dumfield the door or at the very least parks his arse on the bench for the season. Dumbfield is no way good enough, hard working doesn't cut it plenty players are hard working . If the fans don't demand a raising of standards we will forever be average.

This debate is really old and stale. Even most of his detractors here like him as a person, but the vast majority of posters here know he's not a starter.

We're long past rants about it.

Connon_1991
02-18-2013, 12:00 PM
This debate is really old and stale. Even most of his detractors here like him as a person, but the vast majority of posters here know he's not a starter.

Thanks for that good sir..........

ag futbol
02-18-2013, 12:31 PM
Dunfield seems like a decent guy and I wouldn't take anyone’s comments on his play as an indictment of his character, but let me say this:

His presence on the field and style of play bothers me to no end. It’s like the embodiment of everything that’s wrong with player development and sporting culture in this country wrapped up in one package. High energy, low skill, low football IQ. Misplaced cheering for the “underdog”, although he’s not exactly a fan favorite at BMO. Also hard to think of him without the Paul Mariner association.

Anyway… he’s decent enough for bench depth, but that’s as far as it should go. Seems like everyone is on the same page in that regard.

Yohan
02-18-2013, 12:37 PM
Dunfield seems like a decent guy and I wouldn't take anyone’s comments on his play as an indictment of his character, but let me say this:

His presence on the field and style of play bothers me to no end. It’s like the embodiment of everything that’s wrong with player development and sporting culture in this country wrapped up in one package. High energy, low skill, low football IQ. Misplaced cheering for the “underdog”, although he’s not exactly a fan favorite at BMO. Also hard to think of him without the Paul Mariner association.

Anyway… he’s decent enough for bench depth, but that’s as far as it should go. Seems like everyone is on the same page in that regard.
That's just it. Dunfield is a depth, typical NA plugger type of player. Unfortunate necessarily need in a league like MLS

Red CB Toronto
02-18-2013, 12:41 PM
I have a lot of respect for Terry and the fact is TFC management has not been able to bring in a player that would would replace him in the lineup, thus improve this club. So until that happens he will be here.

T-boy
02-18-2013, 01:39 PM

exactly agreed!

Dunfield makes 86k! That's not even starter money! But at 86k hes absolutely FINE as a depth player! If he starts 10 games, and comes on as sub to rest players like Frings and Cesar, then that's great! I'm not arguing that Dunfield is a great player, or comparable to Beckham, or anybody else. He is what he is - a depth level player, both wage wise and talent wise, and he's fine for that.

Compare him to players like Chad Barrett, who was earning over 200k, and he's only a depth player. Dunfield is actually good value as a depth player, if you put it in context.

Dunfield can stay at the club, he's decent value depth, and Canadian. If you put it that way, I actually kinda like the guy!

Ultra & Proud
02-18-2013, 01:55 PM
3 things to say regarding this:

1) He is exactly what you need on the bench in MLS. If you followed the league you'd realize every team has their version of him. A sub $100K player who can fill a role.

2) He is one of only two players who showed improvement last season with Morgan being the other. Does that mean he's amazing? No, but it'd be hard to deny he got better in the past two seasons in MLS.

3) He was on Man City, not that long ago either. Yeah, he boozed, banged, and coked his way out of England but he had to have had something to be there in the first place. Not too many other domestic players on our roster or on many other MLS rosters either can boast to being in the EPL. Even as a bench or reserve option.

Alonso
02-18-2013, 02:03 PM
exactly agreed!

Dunfield makes 86k! That's not even starter money! But at 86k hes absolutely FINE as a depth player! If he starts 10 games, and comes on as sub to rest players like Frings and Cesar, then that's great! I'm not arguing that Dunfield is a great player, or comparable to Beckham, or anybody else. He is what he is - a depth level player, both wage wise and talent wise, and he's fine for that.

Compare him to players like Chad Barrett, who was earning over 200k, and he's only a depth player. Dunfield is actually good value as a depth player, if you put it in context.

Dunfield can stay at the club, he's decent value depth, and Canadian. If you put it that way, I actually kinda like the guy!

Exactly, he's good value for what he brings to this club.

I just wish people would let it rest with Dunfield. I hate the scape goating that some people like to do with our players. Dunfield is the least of our problems, and he can be a good part of our team off the bench. Don't forget that the man has also scored some very big goals for us when they were sorely needed. At $86,000 the man is worth every penny.

jazzy
02-18-2013, 02:54 PM
In football terms, and certainly in terms of TFC, Dunfield is hardly the world's worst footballer! We've had MANY players worse than him, by far! And we've currently got several players in the squad worse than him too! I can see why Dunfield isn't a "fan favourite" as he isn't a flair type of player at all, but he doesn't deserve to be the number one hated player in the squad right now! There were times last season when Dunfield looked much better than Frings, and I don't see Frings getting hounded on this forum! Dunfield is cheap, a domestic, and a very useful squad player! If he can be used to give people like Cesar and Frings a rest this season, then he's going to be extremely useful!

you're right of course, I too am not over the roof with him, but one should never confuse talent with heart, has anyone ever seen Dunfield give up? not likely. I just wish he wasn't given carte blanche on free kicks or set pieces. As you should know going all out simply isn't good enough,..patience and decision making is a must. AND I don't understand this Connon's threads , seems to be always condescending and "the critic" in his own mind, (taking a sh*t?), Apparently he's the ultimate judge of a "FOOTBALLER"...a laugh since Dunfields on the pitch and he isn't! Makes one hope players never read this stuff.....

DangerRed
02-18-2013, 03:13 PM
Terry has no business starting in this league. Talent-wise, he's a joke -- but at least not an expensive one. Cann made $126K or so and we deemed him surplus for what he brought to the table versus what he was costing us.